Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Why is Glalie above Mega Glalie in the viability thread? I understand Moody is allowed, wouldn't that benefit Mega Glalie just the same?
Once Glalie Mega Evolves it can't continue to fish for more Moody boosts, which is actually a big deal. The whole point of Moody Glalie is to take advantage of the wild boosts as much as you can, and it requires both Substitute and Protect to achieve this as effectively as it does. As a result it needs Leftovers to function, and since it only uses Frost Breath (for crits to ignore SpAtt drops and setup sweepers) and Sheer Cold as its moves the Mega doesn't help it significantly anyway.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
whats a good BSS set for jolly multiscale dragonite?
Off the top of my head, Jolly is only used to outspeed Mega Gengar (base 130), Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric (base 135), and Mega Sceptile and Mega Beedrill (base 145) after one Dragon Dance (Adamant falls short of these). M-Lop, M-Scep and M-Bee aren't very common at all though so you can cut some speed EVs down for extra HP if you wanted. Here's some spreads

To outspeed them all:
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

To outspeed up to M-Lopunny and M-Manectric:
76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe

To outspeed M-Gengar:
84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe

I'm not sure Jolly benefits the banded set at all, that thing wants as much power as possible

Off the top of my head, Jolly is only used to outspeed Mega Gengar (base 130), Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric (base 135), and Mega Sceptile and Mega Beedrill (base 145) after one Dragon Dance (Adamant falls short of these). M-Lop, M-Scep and M-Bee aren't very common at all though so you can cut some speed EVs down for extra HP if you wanted. Here's some spreads

To outspeed them all:
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

To outspeed up to M-Lopunny and M-Manectric:
76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe

To outspeed M-Gengar:
84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe

I'm not sure Jolly benefits the banded set at all, that thing wants as much power as possible
thanks!

Garchomp@Rocky Helmet
Ability:Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
EVs:212Spe 252HP 40Atk 4Def
-Swords Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake

I'm trying to figure out what would go well with this bulky Garchomp. This is for Singles. Any suggestions?

Garchomp@Rocky Helmet
Ability:Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
EVs:212Spe 252HP 40Atk 4Def
-Swords Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake

I'm trying to figure out what would go well with this bulky Garchomp. This is for Singles. Any suggestions?
Personally I think Rock Tomb is more useful than Rock Slide. Getting those speed drops can come in clutch, especially on the switch.
I'm curious why you have 212 speed. One of the best things about Garchomp imo is it's decent speed, and that investment doesn't really hit any notable benchmarks. The lowest I would go on Chomp is 244 EVs to outspeed Kanga, and at that point you might as well just run max speed anyway. Unless you wanted to go way more defensive to aid the Helm + Skin thing, in that case dropping speed wouldn't be too bad.

thundurus-therian.gif

Thundurus-T@Focus Sash
Ability:Volt Absorb
Timid/Modest Nature
EVs: 252SpA 252Spe 4Atk
-Thunderbolt
-Superpower
-Grass Knot
-Volt Switch

Thundurus isn't the bulkiest of Pokemon, clearly. But a focus sash set could be quite succesful. By throwing Superpower in the Mix, it could easily eliminate threats like Mega Kangaskhan, Eviolite Chansey, and Scarf Excadrill.
My question is, what would pair well with this? I was thinking Mega Salamence, which aside from the double ice/rock weakness looked good

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
View attachment 46824
Thundurus-T@Focus Sash
Ability:Volt Absorb
Timid/Modest Nature
EVs: 252SpA 252Spe 4Atk
-Thunderbolt
-Superpower
-Grass Knot
-Volt Switch

Thundurus isn't the bulkiest of Pokemon, clearly. But a focus sash set could be quite succesful. By throwing Superpower in the Mix, it could easily eliminate threats like Mega Kangaskhan, Eviolite Chansey, and Scarf Excadrill.
My question is, what would pair well with this? I was thinking Mega Salamence, which aside from the double ice/rock weakness looked good
You're overestimating Superpower's, well, power...
  • 0- Atk Thundurus-T Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 86-102 (47.5 - 56.3%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO
  • 4 Atk Thundurus-T Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 96-114 (53 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 0- Atk Thundurus-T Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 110-130 (30.8 - 36.4%) -- 54% chance to 3HKO
  • 4 Atk Thundurus-T Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 124-146 (34.7 - 40.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 0- Atk Thundurus-T Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 126-150 (67.7 - 80.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 4 Atk Thundurus-T Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 144-170 (77.4 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Apart from Excadrill, you do pretty measly damage to the other two. Also remember that Superpower drops your Attack (and Defence) so it's power output just gets lower and lower. The only way it would "easily eliminate" any of those is if you caught Kangaskhan on the switch with a Thunderbolt and used Superpower to guarantee the 2HKO... I'm surprised you chose those three as examples of targets for Superpower and not Tyranitar. That thing is probably your main target as it's 4x weak and can be OHKOed (non-mega) or take a massive chunk (mega), and doesn't care about your Thunderbolt due to it's crazy SpD under a sandstorm...

As for teammates, it pairs well with Suicune as it can absorb the Electric attacks aimed at it, and also get rid of the Water-types that wall it. Basically anything that doesn't like Water-types appreciates Thundurus-T; Blaziken (also likes having Thund-T somewhat check Talonflame), Garchomp, Landorus-T, Gyarados and even Talonflame itself. Salamence wouldn't be a horrible teammate, but they aren't the best partners and don't really benefit from having each other...

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Good last move for defensive Gyarados? I've got Thunder Wave, Taunt, and Waterfall so far. Not sure if I should put Ice Fang, Earthquake, or Toxic in the last spot.

Good last move for defensive Gyarados? I've got Thunder Wave, Taunt, and Waterfall so far. Not sure if I should put Ice Fang, Earthquake, or Toxic in the last spot.
Ice Fang imo, but it really depends on your team. EQ is nice for the solid coverage, but most things you'd want to hit with EQ can be Paraflinched with Waterfall + Paralysis. If you run EQ, you also miss out on hitting things effectively like Mega Mence, Breloom, and Dragonite. Toxic is something to consider if you already have a way to beat dragons and struggle on bulky mons, because it can cripple pokes like Cresselia and Suicune, especially if you EV to outspeed them and taunt first so they can't recover.

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
can anyone point out a blaring weakness or problem this team has? a pokemon that walls it significantly.. maybe suggest a swap in moves, items, or member? I feel like mega slowbro would be tough to take down with this bunch

dragonite@lum berry
multiscale
adamant
252Atk/4Def/252Spd
dragon dance
outrage
earthquake
extremespeed

heatran@choice scarf
flash fire
timid
252SpAtk/4SpDef/252Spd
Fire Blast
Flash Cannon
Stone Edge
Hidden Power Ice

Azumarill@Assault Vest
Huge Power
Adamant
228HP/252Atk/12Def/12SpDef/4Spd
Aqua Jet
Waterfall
Play Rough
Knock Off

edit: does this belong here instead? if so, i apologize. im new to this area of the forums, usually just dwell in wifi

Last edited:
can anyone point out a blaring weakness or problem this team has? a pokemon that walls it significantly.. maybe suggest a swap in moves, items, or member? I feel like mega slowbro would be tough to take down with this bunch

dragonite@lum berry
multiscale
adamant
252Atk/4Def/252Spd
dragon dance
outrage
earthquake
extremespeed

heatran@choice scarf
flash fire
timid
252SpAtk/4SpDef/252Spd
Fire Blast
Flash Cannon
Stone Edge
Hidden Power Ice

Azumarill@Assault Vest
Huge Power
Adamant
Aqua Jet
Waterfall
Play Rough
Knock Off

edit: does this belong here instead? if so, i apologize. im new to this area of the forums, usually just dwell in wifi
Yeah you're right in your edit, it fits better in the other thread. But just at a glance these three mons are very weak to suicune, which is a really common mon, especially the common rocky helmet set. Bulky waters in general look troublesome

dragonite@lum berry
multiscale
adamant
252Atk/4Def/252Spd
dragon dance
outrage
earthquake
extremespeed

heatran@choice scarf
flash fire
timid
252SpAtk/4SpDef/252Spd
Fire Blast
Flash Cannon
Stone Edge
Hidden Power Ice

Azumarill@Assault Vest
Huge Power
Adamant
Aqua Jet
Waterfall
Play Rough
Knock Off

Choice scarf mamoswine can be a problem to your team if azumarril is not on your side, it outspeeds heatran and has icicle spear and ice shard to break through dragonites multiscale, and while it doesnt live after azumarrils waterfall you cant switch azu in on an earthquake cause then in the second turn you can not knock mamoswine out with aqua jet and he kills you with a second earthquake.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Guys, can someone please explain me why meta megacross is not popular in singles?
A little unsure of whether you mean Mega Metagross or Mega Heracross but I'm assuming Metagross. I have actually been trying to experiment with Mega Metagross myself recently and I'd say that it could be attributed to how it fares against some of the more common threats. Just looking at the Top 12, everything there gives it some sort of trouble and the things it can beat are basically all handled better by something else. That said it's not exactly bad, Tough Claws boosted Zen Headbutt and Iron Head/Meteor Mash do savage amounts of damage and Ice Punch means it definitely has a way to beat Garchomp, Landorus-T, Thundurus and Mega Salamence, but only after Mega Evolving. It's also got very impressive bulk so it can take some big hits for sure. It has a tough start with its first turn's low speed, made worse by the shaky matchups it has with some of the bigger threats and that hurts it quite a bit. Definitely having fun with it myself though, even if it doesn't get enough of a chance to shine in numerous matchups.

Think that I am not so lucky. I wanna build around glalie with moody (I am a bad person, yep) maybe it's not worth it.. But who are good allies for it?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Think that I am not so lucky. I wanna build around glalie with moody (I am a bad person, yep) maybe it's not worth it.. But who are good allies for it?
You can check when the PGL site comes back up, but I've found that team members with T-wave help Glalie a lot because it allows it to get subs up before attacks. Cresselia with Lunar Dance can also fully heal Glalie so it can attempt a Moody stall/sweep twice. I also believe Gliscor was a popular team partner as a similar win condition with Sub and Guillotine. And you are a terrible person

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Yeah like Demantoid said Paralysis support is really good for the free turns you can get and the drop in speed helps Glalie set up Subs easier since he's pretty slow without boosts. Thundurus is the best coz of Prankster giving priority to Thunder Wave (and Taunt), but Serperior is also really good coz it has Glare which can paralyse Ground-types (meaning only Electric-types are immune to your para-spamming), he's also a great physical check to stuff like M-Kang who are super common in the meta. Klefki can also do the Prankster-Thunder Wave thing if you lack a good Thundurus... I'm not really sure what checks Glalie though since it's mostly up to luck, but Chandelure can hit through its Subs with Infiltrator, I guess Crobat could be a problem since it can also Toxic Glalie through its Sub, and it's 100% accurate coz Crobat is a Poison-type, so it ignores Glalie's evasion boosts. However both these things are really uncommon and are wrecked by Sheer Cold (if it hits!) and Crobat is hit hard by Frost Breath.... He's definitely something I've wanted to try for a bit. iirc GroudonEmpire tried it out for a bit? I know someone did..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)