Battle Tree Discussion and Records

+Def 252/252 Pelipper can take two hits with lefties, and is generally pretty bulky. If you switch out of something with a fire weakness you will take basically nothing from the Flare Blitz. Surf 2HKOs in rain, but you'll have to roost for a bit to actually win probably. Dragon Rush can 2HKO with high rolls, so it's not ideal.

Personally, I lead with Phero, and Z-HJK kills from full. If I see a lead Char I'll Sub to check set and then U-turn to Xurkitree if it uses a flying attack and HJK if it is X

Edit: If you want an actual, for SURE counter, one of the Water/Fairy pokemon is probably the surest bet. Even with no investment, they can always take two hits
What moveset(substitute,u-turn,hjk,?), Nature(+speed or +attk), item(life orb?) are you running for pheromosa lead? Pheromosa substitute sounds interesting, I've been scouring the forums for movesets but this is the first I have heard of a substitute set. It sounds interesting for sure ^^

Do you run Pheromosa purely for the z-hjk? I'm wary of non-100% accuracy moves in battle tree as I want a long streak

What moveset(substitute,u-turn,hjk,?), Nature(+speed or +attk), item(life orb?) are you running for pheromosa lead? Pheromosa substitute sounds interesting, I've been scouring the forums for movesets but this is the first I have heard of a substitute set. It sounds interesting for sure ^^

Do you run Pheromosa purely for the z-hjk? I'm wary of non-100% accuracy moves in battle tree as I want a long streak
Phero has amazing speed and attack stats. It outspeeds all but 11 pokemon in the tree with a +spd nature. My set is Ice Beam/Sub/UTurn/HJK, but poison jab is possibly valid and using a different Bug move over Uturn is also potentially good. I use it with Scarf Xurk (252/252 spd/SpA Energy Ball/Volt Switch/Thunder/Dazzling Gleam) and Assault Vest Pelipper (UTurn/Surf/Hurricane/Ice Beam).

The Pelipper is a new addition, and I picked a spread for the roost/Leftovers set before changing my mind, so probably don't try to use that as written. I used M-Slowbro with CM/Slack Off/Scald/Psyshock as my 3rd before that (and had Tbolt on Xurk then obv). The Slowbro version of the team has some problems with bulky grass types, specifically the grass/poison and grass/fairies that aren't weak to bug. I got to 82 once with that team. It's very good at getting through the first 50 though, and it does it VERY fast, plus you don't have to breed for the two UBs.

Z-HJK is really nice. I started out using Life Orb for the extra power, but Ice Beam and U-Turn both need it less, and you want the fighting STAB almost always. The benefit of Z-HJK over LO is that it A. does more damage and B. is not only 100% accurate, it also ignores evasion boosts and does damage through protect. Also, you don't want to try to stack the recoil from LO with the 25% from Sub because it knocks you down too much. Obviously you are sad if you want to use HJK twice, but if you were doing that without the Z-move you would have a 19% chance of losing off the recoil, and you have other team members to deal with some things anyway. U-Turn breaks sashes and usually gets you into moves you can afford to take with one of the other two.

It means you have to lose Poison Jab, which is sad against fairies, notably Ribombee, Whimsicott, and Gardevoir. My loss was to Ribombee, so keep an eye out or pick a team comp that doesn't lose to it.

New player seeking advice for battle tree super single battle. May I know what strategies you are running against Charizard-Mega-X-4 lead? EV spreads, item and pokemon selection, and reasoning behind your selection would be greatly appreciated.Please go easy on me as I've never played pokemon competitively before.For non 252/252/4 ev spreads, may i know the justification for having such a spread(e.g need X def to survive a 1 hit ko or something along those lines, or X speed to outspeed certain pokemons and why those pokemons)

Are there any good pre-pokebank counters for charizard X(something that could switch in to it at full hp and still win)?
jolly scarf garchomp survives flare blitz and rock slide (even at +1) from charizard-mega-x-4, outspeeds it even after 1 DD, and OHKOs with earthquake or outrage 100% of the time. it gets OHKOd if it switches into Dragon Rush, though, even if Zard-X hasn't set up at all, so you need to be cautious here. the AI will never use dragon moves if a fairy-type is currently out (I believe), so that's one way to ensure that chomp can switch in safely if the fairy that's out can't beat zard-X outright.

New player seeking advice for battle tree super single battle. May I know what strategies you are running against Charizard-Mega-X-4 lead? EV spreads, item and pokemon selection, and reasoning behind your selection would be greatly appreciated.Please go easy on me as I've never played pokemon competitively before.For non 252/252/4 ev spreads, may i know the justification for having such a spread(e.g need X def to survive a 1 hit ko or something along those lines, or X speed to outspeed certain pokemons and why those pokemons)

Are there any good pre-pokebank counters for charizard X(something that could switch in to it at full hp and still win)?
I lead with a Jolly Garchomp with Outrage/EQ holding Dragonium Z. I just use Devastating Drake as soon as I see lead Charizard. It OHKO's both Mega-X and Mega-Y. Technically I could OHKO with EQ if it is Mega-X by scouting the set with a Substitute, but I don't like giving up 25% HP for no reason.

Thanks for the advice! @Adamant_Torterra Jebus McAzn iVolke

I truly appreciate the time taken to respond and help out a newer member of the community.Hopefully I will be able to get a 50 streak with your advice! (currently stuck at 41 because of mega charizard)

Last edited:
I did a run to about Super Single 43 with Mega-Salamence, Toxapex, and Mimikyu. Great team, got taken out by forgetting to mega Salamence, and then Play Rough missed twice in a row (90% accuracy). ;_; Going to replace Play Rough with Dazzling Gleam. Battle Tree is all about reliability.

That said, I got tired of looking up the opponent type, moves, stats, etc. Yes, I'm lazy, but I'm programmer lazy, so I made a mashup of Team Rocket Elite's data on the trainer and move sets and Skewtr's excellent pokedex sheet.

Given the trainer, pokemon, and move or item or two, this spreadsheet will tell you what moves the pokemon has and what it's stats are. Speed stat especially is useful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-8f5fk8mCb13LTL6CFAUJFcsZTLnOQPZesqmGrfeTgg/edit?usp=sharing

Enjoy!

Going to replace Play Rough with Dazzling Gleam.
Unfortunately Dazzling Gleam is a special based attack and Mimikuys special attack is very low (only 50), so you really shouldn't use that. If you want to continue with Mimikuy, I would suggest Fairium-Z, so you have a one time perfectly accurate and strong fairy attack. But tbh I am not a fan of Mimikuy in Battle Tree as of yet. Pretty low attack and speed for an attacker, doesn't have strong attacks, and because its low HP it isn't even that bulky. Its good Ability doesn't outweight all the negatives imo.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've gotten a preliminary leaderboard together for Super Singles and Super Doubles. I've dropped my proposed leaderboard eligibility requirement from 100 wins to 90. Consider it a consolation prize for just missing getting to 100.

Going through 44 pages of posts is no joke, and it's quite likely I've missed something. If you feel I've missed your streak, please let me know. Note that as in the Maison, ongoing streaks are not eligible until they hit 1000 wins, so if your streak has ended since you posted about it, please let us know (with proof please!) and I'll get you added.

Also note that a few otherwise eligible streaks haven't been added pending proof, and one is awaiting confirmation regarding possible hacking.

While I hope the issue with videos uploaded in version 1.0 not being watchable in version 1.1 gets fixed, I'm certainly not about to require new proof for streaks previously submitted with a video. And moving forward, remember that while videos are preferred, proof photos are generally acceptable too, especially with a good writeup.

Best of luck with the streaks, everybody, and please do let me know if I've managed to miss you. We've got a great community here, and I'm excited to see some big records on the leaderboard! And even if you don't have a big streak to share, keep up the productive and helpful discussion!

Should be fun! I came here too late for the Maison (didn't start doing serious Maison stuff until a few months ago) but it'll be neat to be part of the new Tree community.

I managed to make it 98 wins in super singles with this team, which greatly exceeded my expectations. I originally planned to just use this team to grind out some bp to buy items with, but when it kept winning I decided to go as far as I could. I had numerous close calls with the team, especially after battling Red to get the 50-win streak. I don't plan on trying again with this team, as it took a lot of luck to get to 98. This first was actually the second attempt, the first ended at 39 due to a series of events with a 0.2% chance of occurring.

Kartana @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Stone Edge
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Moonblast

The team is really pretty simple, just 3 strong and fast pokemon. Kartana was the lead and was easily the mvp, probably 1/3 of the battles were Kartana 3-0's. Garchomp and Tapu Lele were about equally as useful, although Garchomp saw more action because he was my main switchin if the opponent's lead threatened Kartana. Mostly that was fire types, so Garchomp would come in to earthquake them. Tapu Lele was mostly kept in reserve because the scarf meant it was usually able to clean up an opponent's last pokemon. I might switch thunderbolt for shadow ball if I were to use it again, because I'm not sure if I ever used thunderbolt and there was at least one battle where I wanted shadow ball.

The team struggled with trick room, as I was essentially guaranteed to go last in trick room. Bronzong was particularly annoying because nothing could reliably kill ones with levitate. Red's charizard-x also nearly beat me at battle 50 - Kartana lead and ohko'd blastoise with leaf blade, and then when charizard came out I realized that after a dragon dance charizard-x would easily sweep my team. The only way I won was that beast boost allowed kartana to do enough with sacred sword that the recoil from flare blitz knocked out charizard. I got very lucky in general past battle 50 - garchomp survived an attack with 1hp once, tapu lele with 2hp once, the ai missed critical moves, and I only beat a mega alakazam because of a moonblast SpA drop.

If I were to keep the same team base, I might change Garchomp to a rough skin/rocky helmet tank. One of the weaknesses of the team I thought was that there was nothing particularly bulky. I also considered switching Tapu Lele for a mega Slowbro, but decided to just push the original team as far as I could. I think the team is a pretty good base, and I'm pretty confident in its ability to get to 50 for the stamp.

Unfortunately this happened today and I'm still in 1.0 because I leave the game running in sleep mode all the time, so I can't get a code for the video. I did take a video on my phone of the loss though:

The quality is kind of bad, but oh well I guess. The loss was a combination of terrible play on my part and bad luck. I started off by forgetting that sceptile is faster than Kartana and getting ohko'd by focus blast. Then I used moonblast instead of psychic with tapu lele because I forgot only mega sceptile is dragon type. Finally, a fire fang miss and stone edge miss finished garchomp off. I guess that's payback for my earlier luck.

Looking at a new team. I've been using Phero/Pelipper/Xurk, and it's been pretty good, and I've definitely appreciated being able to get rid of the evasion abilities vs the weather trainers. I've been thinking I want to try another rain team, so I was looking for rain abilities and noticed Goodra got Hydration. I'm thinking Assault Vest Goodra, Lefties Pelipper, and Scarf Magnezone. There are no overlapping weakness, and every weakness is a resistance of one of the other pokemon. I went through the damage calculator with the spitball team and checked everything that was faster than Scarf Zone, and at least one of the pokemon on the team could take on everything. There might be some slow sweeper or set-up sweeper that could give me a bad time, but I figure I might give it a try. The only thing I can imagine having problems with is something with Freeze-Dry. Mega Glalie is a pretty big threat, but if I go from pelipper to magnezone I should be able to take care of it. It looks like that an one aurorus set are the only users in the tree.

Hydration on Goodra prevents and removes status, so I can beat the obnoxious Sporers/Hypnosisers/etc, and I have a poison and ground immunity, which is nice. I can stall out quake/slide if I need to with Pelipper/Magnezone

Anyone have any thoughts? My biggest concern is that without setup sweepers this team might run into trouble against megas. Specifically, the Charizard-X in the tree seems like a pretty bad time no matter what- it gets OHKOs on the other two and Pelipper has to choose roost from full health to not die to the attacks on the second hit. I like the idea of the team, but losing to Zard-X is pretty bad considering the trainers on the 10s can have them. I could swap lefties for waterium-Z on Pelipper and Z-Surf would get the OHKO on Charizard. I don't THINK I lose any sure wins on Pelipper by doing that, though of course losing the recovery from Lefties is always sad. Sitrus also gets it done from full health, but the Z-crystal seems better. It feels like Z-Crystals are always the right choice in the Tree, TBH

If I'm gonna swap anything out it would be the Magnezone, but it has the perfect resistances for the setup and I really like the rainy thunder. Here's what I put into the calculator:

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roost

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Muddy Water
- Earthquake

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 SpA / 12 SpD / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 31 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

Well if I'm already past 90 on the Super Singles run I might as well post the team that got furthest.

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Conversion

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Mimikyu @ Lum Berry
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Similar to the last team I posted, Porygon-Z as lead sweeper, Gyarados for back up sweeping and for covering pokemon Porygon-Z doesn't like to handle, but with Kartana replaced by Mimikyu. Mimikyu, like focus sash Kartana, has a "guaranteed one turn of something" but with Mimikyu I get several benefits Kartana doesn't have: Priority in Shadow Sneak, the ability to take a special hit, and having my extra turn at the start of Mimikyu's health so I'm not sweating bullets like I do when Kartana is at one HP. With Mimikyu I have two resistances to fighting instead of two weaknesses to it, and my previous problems with lead Thundurus have disappeared because now I can simply nullify its Focus Blast by switching to Mimikyu and have it waste Gigavolt Havoc on the disguise.

Lum Berry is my preferred item because without it this team has a bit of an issue with status, and while Mimikyu's power is a bit low without life orb I think it's more beneficial to avoid anything to do with status if I can help it, and it can even become a free turn of set up sometimes. Mimikyu doesn't have the snowball effect Kartana has, and it has more trouble with certain walls that Kartana could just plow through but not too much trouble. Also I feel like Mimikyu isn't walled as easily between its two stabs. Play Rough will never not be an ass clencher to use but it seems to work a miraculous 90% of the time!

What did me in was a specs hurricane Oricorio. It one shotted my Porygon-Z before it could move, critted my Gyarados after mega evolving, and my Mimikyu wasn't fast enough to outspeed it because at the time I hadn't Hyper Trained its speed IVs up to max so I was worried about throwing it in. Mimikyu managed to kill it but didn't survive long after.

My evs are kind of messed up. I had 4 EVs in special defense for Porygon-Z because it used to have bad IVs there but I forgot to change them to HP after I Hyper Trained it. Mimikyu I switched from having 4 HP Evs to having 4 Spd EVs because that allows it to surive a choice specs Oricorio's Hurricane. Porygon-Z is the one that wants to survive but it requires I think 84 Spd EVs to survive and I don't feel comfortable sacrificing that sort of speed or power.

This run was a while ago so my memory of it is a bit foggy. I thought I would get right back up and past this one but I think I sort of ran out of steam after getting past 100 the first time. This team operates by setting up and running away with the match but if it can't get it up then I start to have problems. At higher levels I'll see one legendary dog or deer, which usually means there's two more legendary dogs or deers waiting in the back who are all bulky enough to take more than one hit, strong enough to do serious damage with Z moves and coverage moves, and generally outpace my team so they can be trouble. Combine that with me trying to do super singles while distracted and I wind up losing more than I'd like. I like Mimkyu as a third wheel though and at this point I have plans to try something with it, Mega Metagross or Mega Lucario and Dragonite but I'm waiting for bank to get my good IV Dragonites.

Last edited:
So I was messing around in doubles and I got a funny thought...

Unless I'm missing something, I'm pretty sure Beast Boost counts ANY Pokemon that gets KOd. If you built a team around getting the Beast Boost off an ally Pokemon, would that work? At a glance, Xurk with Discharge + Pelipper with Tailwind, Nihilego with Sludge Wave + Whimsicott with Tailwind, Buzzwole with Fell Stinger or EQ + Mew with Tailwind or Oranguru with TR seems workable. Celesteela with EQ and Explosion could also work depending on how you stack things up, but it doesn't have STAB and has lower offenses so it feels less certain

Obviously something like this wouldn't work every time, so you want to set the team up so it isn't doomed. If you have the set up you take it, if you don't you don't. Buzzwole gets QuakeSlide, so it seems like it ought to be able to clear out the opponents if it can get set up. I'm sure more conventional teams would be more consistent, but I took two opponents out at once with my Xurk's Discharge and got a sharp boost, so I had to come here and see what people thought.

I haven't even started breeding competetive mons yet and I'm already scared, going by what I've heard.
Don't be. It's not that bad.

I finished training the Garchomp/Scizor/Tapu Fini team I posted before and started using it. Went 0 to 80 real quick in Super Singles last night before I paused to go to bed.

I get Tapu Fini is a really good Pokemon, but is it THAT good of a glue Fairy that almost, if not all, the best streaks involve having one?

Don't be. It's not that bad.

I finished training the Garchomp/Scizor/Tapu Fini team I posted before and started using it. Went 0 to 80 real quick in Super Singles last night before I paused to go to bed.
I might give it a go but I don't have anything with good IVs yet, I was planning on waiting till Bank was out so I could transfer my 6IV Ditto over.

I might give it a go but I don't have anything with good IVs yet, I was planning on waiting till Bank was out so I could transfer my 6IV Ditto over.
There are people who will probably breed for you. I've offered it to anyone and I have every single pre-Bank pokemon and hidden ability possible in 5IV+ parents(in beast balls, no less). I don't mind breeding for anyone, regardless of what you have to offer.

I get Tapu Fini is a really good Pokemon, but is it THAT good of a glue Fairy that almost, if not all, the best streaks involve having one?
It's not that great. Can't just throw it on any team and expect it to work. Offensively it feels lacking, but defensively it has great type synergy with the rest of my team and gives me status immunity. It functions as more of a support Pokémon.

I encourage anyone looking to build a streak to sit down and think about some things:

1) How will you handle status users? Think about each status condition(burn, sleep, poison, paralysis, confusion, freeze). There's lots of different ways. Some Pokémon have abilities that heal or give immunity to one or all status conditions. Some abilities like Natural Cure allow a Pokemon to heal from status conditions. Substitute blocks all except Flatter/Swagger provided you are faster than the user, in addition to being a counter measure against OHKO moves. Misty Terrain gives the whole team immunity as long as they are not Flying type or have Levitate. Ground and Electric types already have immunity to TWave. Electric is immune to paralysis in general(keep having Stun Spore not affect Pikachu which surprised me). Fire is immune to burn. Ice can't be frozen. Steel and Poison can't be poisoned.

2) What are each of your Pokémon weak against? Can the other team mates handle those weaknesses?

3) How will you deal with opponents using set up sets? Can you boost faster than them? Do you need a Haze user? Toxic stall them? Z-move to get around Bright Powder and evasion boosters?

There's probably more to consider, but if you at least have thought about it this much, you will have a much easier time.

Last edited:
I'm back :(
One more time, i lost in 30+ fight :( I'll never make the 50th fight :(

>Lead<
Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability : Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Def
Sassy Nature
-Leech Seed
-Heavy Slam
-Protect
-Flamethrower

>Lead<
Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability : Rough Skin
EVs : 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-Dragon Claw
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-Outrage

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability : Electric Surge
EVs : 4 HP / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe
Quirky Nature
-Thunderbolt
-U-Turn
-Dazzling Gleam
-Grass Knot

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability : Technician
EVs : 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Pursuit
-Sword Dance
-Bullet Punch
-X-Sciccor

First post, hello everyone!

Posting a streak of 243 wins on super doubles with a team of Pheromosa /Tapu Lele / Celesteela/ Tapu Fini. (First post too, hello everyone!)

Loss UHWW-WWWW-WWW4-EK3W (Battle 244) (Mawile Gyarados Incineroar Tauros)

After a gruesome encounter with veteran Xio on battle 185 I had a feeling my lost would be at the hands of mega Mawile, turns out my intuition was (sadly) right.

With no instant answer to mega Mawile, and the threat of both mega Gyarados and the regular dragon dance one (In hindsight I should have assumed it couldn’t mega and psychic It instantly, but that still leaves mega Mawile intact) I knew the run was over save a lucky play rough miss (which gave me the win on the previous match against it). I’ll do some mockup battles to see if an instant switch into Celesteela could help but honestly, no offensive pressure against it and no physical defense investment meant it would have died to pretty much anything on the team except for Tauros.

Not that I can complain since I knew I had to find a way to deal with it beforehand and in some way I guess it’s a fitting punishment for not running earthquake or flamethrower on Celesteela : (.

0 Atk Celesteela Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mawile-Mega: 64-76 (40.7 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 SpA Celesteela Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mawile-Mega: 76-90 (48.4 - 57.3%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO

Nevermind Mega Mawile is gross.

In any case this is the team in detail:

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

Naughty Nature

- Protect

- Lunge

- Low Kick

- Ice Beam

Credits go to both turskain and Level 51 in both move set and nature. Phero is a pretty common mon so I don’t think she needs much explanation. However some observations made during the streak is that Protect is shakier than I thought it would be, in part due to z-moves. So most of the time I ended going full agro with her or just plain switching since things like weathers statuses trick room etc all kinda diminished her value at 1hp. It’s still a very good move though, and makes dealing with some scarfers easier than it would be without it.

Not being able to touch ghost is annoying but fortunately not deadly thanks to the rest of the team.

Also considering changing Protect to HP fire if just for Mega Mawile to be honest, even if it means scarfers are be trickier to deal with.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Psychic Surge

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Modest Nature

- Psychic

- Moonblast

- Shadow Ball

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Another super common set, and the choice of scarf > z-move was mostly convenience since I just wanted a fast 50 streak team. Well turns out scarf modest Lele sits at a comfortable speed tier where only Mega- zam and scarfers that the team is prepared for are. So she kinda nukes everything else before they move. Dropping some evs for hp or defenses could be worth but I’ll need to check some calcs to verify.

Psychic is the go to move most of the time and even used above moonblast against some matchups were being locked into moonblast could be worse despite the type advantage against the lead.

Hp fire is a mixed bag to be honest, but while disappointing in some aspects It’s still a necessary move.

So far shadow ball has been used almost exclusively for Metagross but that niche is enough to justify the slot.

Celesteela @ Lum Berry

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD

Careful Nature

- Leech Seed

- Protect

- Heavy Slam

- Wide Guard

Celesteela didn’t disappoint at all, she’s a really solid glue and secondary wincon. I’m guilty of over relying on leech seed but the move is so clutch against bulkier team lele phero can’t nuke it’s hard to not abuse. Heavy slam 1hkoing Mimikyu and various mons is also pretty neat since she pretty much never fears sand or trick room. Hell, even non stab thunder users lose once leech seed hits. Really solid mon that also has wide guard to cover many annoying sets from scarfers like typhlosion 3, terrakion, or even set up mons that rely on spread moves like Pelipper and Gastrodon, or even trolly sets like that bronzong and regigigas.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers

Ability: Misty Surge

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe

Bold Nature

IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 18 SpA

- Scald

- Moonblast

- Calm Mind

- Protect

Misty surge alone would warrant a spot for Fini regardless of her stats imo, covers a multitude of would be threats and negates a lot of rng without even using a slot. Thankfully her stats are also solid so she can double as a secondary wincon too against bulkier teams, especially trick room and weaker psychic teams where calm mind has done a lot of work. Calm mind still could be replaced by another move like haze and whatnot. Her support moveset is pretty rich and has a lot of interesting niche options like soak for a debuff that bypass critical hit cheese etc.

Other than mega Mawile (and maybe quiver dance Volcarona) though, the team usually has no other insta lose mon (that I have met yet) and in fact breezed through an uncanny amount of fights (like I could say more than half of the fights were over under 4-5 turns, a good deal even 2 turns). Trick room could be awkward at times but Celesteela / Fini usually deals with all the variations surprisingly well baring some shenanigans (as seen in one replay below with Audino 4).

That’s not to say the teams doesn’t have noteworthy threats, it definitively has a good number of them being pretty different due to the team composition (two cores of contrasting styles slapped together).

MAWILE 3-4 outright beats everyone on the team and will provoke major loses regardless of teammates. If possible it’s better to just ignore its partner and soften with lunge for Celesteela to take on. One thing to note is that the three times I faced it during the run it went straight for Lele, so that’s something to apply for next encounters. Honestly I wish I had a solid plan against it but it’s usually partnered with threatening mons :/

MIMIKYU* is another of the few mons that has always targeted Lele so far on sight, with shadow claw having a very present crit rate. Since it can spawn with Mawile with veteran Xio fun times can ensue (Mawile-4 Mimikyu-4 is a combination I haven’t found a reliable answer and was sparred by a play rough miss).

VOLCARONA I feel is a big threat to the team that I got lucky on all the three encounters I had with it, with Lele being the only one who can 2hko it. Since it comes often in sun or legendary only teams, Fini has a lot of trouble damaging it despite type advantage (In fact during my first match against I let it quiver dance and if it not were for the fact that the rest of the team was still healthy and that it decided to quiver dance again I could have lost there).

HEATRAN will cause massive damage and breaks Phero sash and burn too if not double targeted on sight, after trying to 1hko it a couple of times and losing both Lele and Phero to sashed Heatran I’ve learnt to just assume it’s sashed.

ZAPDOS – 2 Is a set I’ve been lucky to never see double team on the first turn yet, brightpowder misses can also cost a lot when paired with

CHANDELURE I’ll admit I might be paranoid about since I faced it at least a dozen of times, I kinda have PTSD from oras maison rotations maybe, the life orb variant can put a dent on everyone but Fini so if it’s sent as last poke with Lele out it could get out of hand.

TRICK ROOM usually means trying to double on a koable target or just double swtich

ELECTRIC SPECIALISTS are most of the time harmless but turn quickly into losing matches if they target and paralyze or crit Lele over Phero (had it happen a few times).

Rotom forms in general are deadly for the backline with their coverage (Specially wash and heat which should be double targeted asap and also appears in many varied teams).

FIRE ESPECIALISTS are not an specific weakness of the team, but things like scarf Entei, Typhlosion or Darmanitan are all potentially fatal if the member of the team that dispose them is not healthy.

(Or if you’re dumb like me and forget Celesteela has wide guard)

PSYCHIC SPECIALISTS can get out of hand if Lele is not conserved properly, especially if you get a mega Cham or Mega Metagross without Lele. Mega Gardevoir is annoying and possibly deadly if Celesteela gets knocked by a critical or something.

VETERAN XIO is probably the only specific trainer I remember the team fear facing as both Mimikyu and Gardevoir are tricky to play around and can come alongside the dreaded Mawile.

Not a specific mon, but very bulky mons like Porygon2 -4 or Mega Aggron can be tricky when partnered with threatening mons (especially if they can threaten the bulky backline) since they won’t die to a double targeting ever. Maybe I’m overstating it but I almost had a lost on battle 135 due to overestimating the power of Lele and Phero against Pory2 :s.

PUNKS are usually free wins unless unless they carry Gyarados or Mawile as I learnt harshly on battle 244. (I’ll probably check the pool of pokemon each can have later).

There’s also things I Thought would have more trouble dealing with, but played properly really shouldn’t cause much trouble such as:

Typhlosion-3 should be dead with a switch into celeestala, of course the cost of the swtich or if it better to just double on it from the start changes from match to match.

Mega Metagross is not threatening as long as Lele on reserve when it comes out or at turn 1.

And notable threats I never had the pleasure to meet on this streak:

Walrein – 4 Im both thankful and sad I didn’t meet it, as despite being an over 200 wins streak the amount of 1hko moves I received was minimal (mostly due to doubling on any potential 1hko user when possible)

The team is thankfully pretty autopilot when no threats are present so the grind was very smooth. The only thing to keep in mind is not overestimating Phero/Lele’s power and try to go for a double ko and not koing anything at all. Most of the time just doubling on a target is safer (even accounting for protect) and reliable. Unless it’s pretty clear the leads can be 1hkoed.

Here’s also a few replays showcasing some matchups (and how I luck out after horrible plays lol)

Sadly due to the patch the replays from battle 204 and before are unavailable but I did write some notes on the matches that were noteworthy.

(Rip like 20 other replays)

Battle 135 vs Aether Foundation Harvey Porygon-2 4/ Goodra 4/ Avalugg 4/Tauros 4, lasted 18 turns.

- It should have been a smooth battle but I underestimated P2’s bulk with eviolite on turn 1 and from there things went downhill with some unfortunate crits that ended in a stalemate between Fini and Tauros 4, run probs should have ended there but Fini managed to hit tauros through a Double Team boost.

Battle 173 vs Madame Donny (Cresselia 1 Zapdos 2 Heatran 1 Latias 4) 11 turns.

- The battle that made start doubling on every Heatran ever. Should I have not switched Lele instantly after the mistake I wouldn’t have had the firepower to nuke latias with Fini later. Leeching Cress asap was also vital to force it to rest and not get calm minds off.

Battle 185 vs Veteran Xio (Mawile 4 Togekiss ? Mimikyu 4 Sylveon 4) 15 turns

- While I had faced Mega Mawile before, it was as last poke with a full health team so I went a bit under my radar. This time though Xio led with it and things went badly from the start. Doubling into Togekiss at the start might not have been the right play but considering the threat of serene grace air slash against Celesteela I don’t really regret it. Still, we’re it not for a miss from play rough that let me heavy slam Mimikyu safely and Sylveon-1 of all things being the last mon I would (and should) have lost that match as I truly had no answer

Battle 192 vs Scientis Cal (Bronzong Jellicent 4 Steelix Komala) 10 turns

- The match that conviced me that double switching is indeed an option sometimes, as Bronzong Jellicent cannot be overpowered and neither posed a threat on the switch- in to either Celesteela or Fini. The fight was smooth other than losing Pheromosa for free to a scald + burn on turn 1. And not foreseeing (Again lack of awareness and not having the spreadsheet open) Komala having wood hammer, fortunately did not crit Fini.

V9SW-WWWW-WWW4-ESS3 (Battle 212) Emboar / Arcanine / Typhlosion/ Volcarona

- Would have gone much smoother if I had used wide guard, which I forgot about until Typhlosion died, unfortunate crit happened but in hindsight I shouldn’t have mattered as much as I made it matter.

347W-WWWW-WWW4-ESN8 (Battle 218) Moltres / Heatran / Zapdos/ Uxie

FQHW-WWWW-WWW4-ESL2 (Battle 229) Audino/ Turtonator/ Oranguru/ Trevenant

- Didn’t apply the knowledge of Audino not being mega and switched into a much telegraphed Fire Z-move, probably would have gone better if I doubled on Audino from the start but the shell smash threat deterred me from doing so.

FUWW-WWWW-WWW4-ESRG (Battle 234) Terrakion/ Articuno/ Entei/ Moltres

4ETW-WWWW-WWW4-ESSC (Battle 235) Raikou/ Entei/ Terrakion/ Regigigas

- Two games with terrakion and Entei, and somehow none with a scarfed either, still debating if switching into Celeestala and wide guarding is the best play in the case Terrakion is scarfed.

UHWW-WWWW-WWW4-EK3W (Battle 244) (Mawile Gyarados Incineroar Tauros) rip.

Sorry about the length of the post, I kinda wanted to document as much as possible for future streaks (500 wins dream) since it’s my first big streak and was a fun learning experience about doubles but I think I might have taken enough space for now haha. I’ll probably have to brainstorm solutions to Mawile that doesn’t give the team new weaknesses :s.

Celesteela > Mega Venusaur after bank, Protect > Hp fire on Phero or maybe a fini change all would be interesting to try methinks.

Thanks for reading!

Been lurking since the maison thread since the last year I hoped my first post would be about a cool rotation streak writeup on the ORAS maison but the farthest I got to was 108, maybe I’ll give it a try with a less gimmicky team than Aron memes lol.

iVolke I'll try to write a better answer later, but the most important thing imo to consider is that with only 12/16 moves available you really want to blanket check as many things as possible and by nature some moves such as haze while great in utility they'll still probably leave a blank in coverage that will cost again [specific type specialist.

Maybe it's because I've just played doubles lately but I know that I'd rather double target a possible set up mon than reactively haze/taunt/etc. Or why misty surge/ lum berry it's more valuable than a mon learning safeguard and so on.

I remenber trying to build a team with good defensive synergy in mind too but with the wide coverage options some sets can have it's probably better to know which threats you can take preemtively by offensive means while keeping a defensive core for threats you can't just remove by brute force (Obviously easier said than done mega mawileeeeee).

iVolke I'll try to write a better answer later, but the most important thing imo to consider is that with only 12/16 moves available you really want to blanket check as many things as possible and by nature some moves such as haze while great in utility they'll still probably leave a blank in coverage that will cost again [specific type specialist.

Maybe it's because I've just played doubles lately but I know that I'd rather double target a possible set up mon than reactively haze/taunt/etc. Or why misty surge/ lum berry it's more valuable than a mon learning safeguard and so on.

I remenber trying to build a team with good defensive synergy in mind too but with the wide coverage options some sets can have it's probably better to know which threats you can take preemtively by offensive means while keeping a defensive core for threats you can't just remove by brute force (Obviously easier said than done mega mawileeeeee).
I'm just saying that people need to put thought into how they will handle different situations and giving a starting point. I'm not saying they absolutely need to have a certain move, except maybe Substitute in Singles and Protect/Fake Out in Doubles. There's no one right answer. You also don't need moves to block status, that's why I mentioned type immunities and abilities.

Coverage is important, but you're not going to go very far with just all-out-attack sets on every Pokémon. It's possible to get good neutral coverage with just a few attacks if you choose your types wisely. If you're running a set up Pokémon, you don't really need more than neutral coverage. Look at Mega Salamence which runs just Aerilate Return on a lot of tree sets.

Coverage works better in Doubles than it does in Singles, especially combined with a teammate that provides Fake Out support, or baits and uses Protect. The ability to double target is huge too.

It's just one of the best mons' that goes well with the incredible Dragon/Steel core. Chansey works just as good IMO even without Seismic Toss [using Flamethrower as a replacment]. I am personally using Chansey over a Bold Defensive Fini because I use Aegislash as my Steel and I would like leftovers on both of these Pokemon. Tapu Fini doesn't have recovery outside Aqua Veil which is essentially a leftovers that takes a turn to set-up and is pretty bad since you need to set up every time you switch.

When bank is here I would guess that Seismic Toss Chansey and Suicune will be more popular over Fini. Also Mega Slowbro is also amazing with Dragon/Steel core from my testing with the only problem I come across was it sharing a weakness with Aegislash.

There are people who will probably breed for you. I've offered it to anyone and I have every single pre-Bank pokemon and hidden ability possible in 5IV+ parents(in beast balls, no less). I don't mind breeding for anyone, regardless of what you have to offer.
I might take you up on that offer, thanks. First thing I want to do is breed a shiny Rowlet and then I want to start putting a team together. Is there a trading post around here? I need a foreign Ditto.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)