BDSP Battle Tower Discussion & Records

I would choose Timid as your nature even with the trick scarf combo because it will allow you to put your EVs into bulkier options such as HP and choosing volt switch or SPA and choosing Thunderbolt.
Thank you for the answer. So if I understood, what you suggest is to chose from one of the two builds below depending on how i want to play Rotom? (with EVs invested in speed either way). With the Scizor holding the leftovers, I don't think of a bulkier build that would work, like EVs in def stats with a bold or calm nature, and will-o-wisp replacing an offensive move.

RotomW @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro pump
- Trick
RotomW @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro pump
- Trick

Thank you for the answer. So if I understood, what you suggest is to chose from one of the two builds below depending on how i want to play Rotom? (with EVs invested in speed either way). With the Scizor holding the leftovers, I don't think of a bulkier build that would work, like EVs in def stats with a bold or calm nature, and will-o-wisp replacing an offensive move.

RotomW @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro pump
- Trick
RotomW @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro pump
- Trick
Yeah exactly. It's up to you at that point on which set you'd want to use.

Hello, Battle Tower comrades!

I just want to ask: how do you deal with Cloyster-3 and Cloyster-4 (Candice Cloyster). I'm currently on master rank 8 and having a hard time against shell smash cloyster. I'm using the team above except Sash Jolly Intimidate Salamence(Outrage, Earthquake, DragonDance and Substitute) instead of Gyarados, but well, he would wreck me anyway.

The team below was very hard to deal with, since espeon baton pass reflect or light screen to cloyster set up .
I was lucky cloyster chose to razor shell my drapion instead of icicle spear (??? -dont know why since icicle was garanted 1 HKO with +2 attack and +2 speed)

IreneAce Trainer (F)Singles MasterEspeon-3Cloyster-3Raikou-4

I also have a hard time against clear body metagross-4 using this team (Salamence-Blissey-Drapion), sice he carries ice punch, bullet punch and meteor mash. I cant low his atk making switches to salamence(intimidate) and he has a good movepool to wreck this team. Meteor Mash hits hard and get +1 atk boosts.

The team below was able to defeat me:

KristiCyclistSingles MasterArticuno-5Metagross-4Gyarados-4

Also, 1 h-KO moves forced me to use substitute on salamence (instead of Roar). The NPC seems to have insane accuracy and I usually lose one of my pokemons if I switch to blissey or drapion (hello articuno-5, lapras-2, dewgong-3 etc).

Thanks for the community for sharing their teams and strategies! I think this battle tower is harder than the ones in previous generations, so much hax involved on master singles, but trying my best to get to rank 10.
As some of your post points out, just changing one Pokemon but leaving the other two the same makes for worse matchups against certain things. I think the bigger issue is probably that you're trying to preserve Salamence and/or use it as a sweeper when if you're using it with Drapion, it's not doing much to increase your odds of winning the average battle outside of switching in and out to use Intimidate the requisite number of times for Drapion to safely set up on some physical attacker (which is crucial, but most of the time you could do the same thing with a Masquerain with no attacking moves). Your entire moveset for it is devoted to being able to sweep faster than Drapion against easy opponents, and if you would rather try to sweep with Salamence because it's your favorite Pokemon or something, it's not like Drapion is doing anything to help Salamence in that regard either (any situation where you're switching Drapion in on an attack aimed at Salamence is most likely going to result in Drapion setting up).

With that team, Salamence should unquestionably be sacrificed against OHKO users (ideally while using Scary Face against something like Articuno so Drapion could then outspeed it and maybe get a couple boosts before it switches out). If you want to get to rank 10 with a lot of Salamence sweeps, you can lead a Lum Skarmory with Flash, Torment, Rest, and Whirlwind and set up with Leftovers Mence with Sub, Protect, DD, and Dragon Claw.

Last edited:
As some of your post points out, just changing one Pokemon but leaving the other two the same makes for worse matchups against certain things. I think the bigger issue is probably that you're trying to preserve Salamence and/or use it as a sweeper when if you're using it with Drapion, it's not doing much to increase your odds of winning the average battle outside of switching in and out to use Intimidate the requisite number of times for Drapion to safely set up on some physical attacker (which is crucial, but most of the time you could do the same thing with a Masquerain with no attacking moves). Your entire moveset for it is devoted to being able to sweep faster than Drapion against easy opponents, and if you would rather try to sweep with Salamence because it's your favorite Pokemon or something, it's not like Drapion is doing anything to help Salamence in that regard either (any situation where you're switching Drapion in on an attack aimed at Salamence is most likely going to result in Drapion setting up).

With that team, Salamence should unquestionably be sacrificed against OHKO users (ideally while using Scary Face against something like Articuno so Drapion could then outspeed it and maybe get a couple boosts before it switches out). If you want to get to rank 10 with a lot of Salamence sweeps, you can lead a Lum Skarmory with Flash, Torment, Rest, and Whirlwind and set up with Leftovers Mence with Sub, Protect, DD, and Dragon Claw.
I see, thanks for the answer! I think i will just run your Gyarados then and see how it goes. Fortunately, i got to rank 10 with that team with mence, blissey and drapion but i want more consistency from now on.

Question:
What do u do against setup sweepers in general with your team? For example, againt Sword dance Scizor, Sword dance Garchomp, Shell smash cloyster. Setup strategies have been hard to deal with drapion. U just run Roar with your Gyarados and try to set drapion against something more passive?

Normal Single Battle

My goal was to utilise a team that would enable me to defeat Palmer. I don't consider myself knowledgeable on battle mechanics, but was still able to clear Palmer 49. There were some clutch moments, such as Palmer 49 leading with Heatran over Regigagas. The Heatran one-shotted my Cloyster with Magma Storm before I could move, so it was a poor 2v3 start. I was able to recover with Gyarados getting the Heatran back with Waterfall, taking out half of Regigigas HP, then letting Tyranitar finish with a Dragon Dance set up. As a bonus, Tyranitar's sandstream helped me manage floor 30-48 easier because it broke a lot of Focus Sash users. Credit to Kuroko!

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell
- Shell Smash

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Thrash
- Dragon Dance

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sandstream
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

View attachment 394183View attachment 394184
Hey guys. it's been a long time since i posted a run. I'm the guy who used Venomoth to get over 200 win streaks in generation 6 and 7!

Introductions aside, I'm using this exact same team to get through the first 42 battles. (done loads of breeding over Christmas)
but i'm using Garchomp instead of Tyranitar.

My Garchomp is:
Stats:
31IV's on all stats except SP. Attack
6HP, 252 attack, 252 speed
Held item: Lum Berry
Moves:
Outrage
Earthquake
Iron Head
Swords Dance

With 2 water types on the team Iwas concerned about Electric types. Even if Gyarados is holding a Wacan Berry.
Garchomp is the perfect free switch in, to a lead Electric type.

currently working on getting 200BP for the ability capsule, for my already set to go Glalie, as i plan on going for a Moody Glalie strategy for winning in the future.

I did it! I beat Palmer 49! I tweaked my initial team a little bit with help from TheReflexWonder and the tweak both hurt and help (hurt as in I miss leftovers recovery LOL), but mostly helped. Here's the team below:

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Brick Break

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Volt Switch

and as a paste: https://pokepast.es/c0903f574ec515da

The primary game plan: Swords dance if possible, then sweep with outrage or EQ then outrage. If you know their lead has something that can kill you, switch to a counter. Metagross and Rotom-W are pretty good at covering Garchomp's weaknesses so you could switch either of them into an ice move and kill them back pretty easily.

Some people questioned my choice of aerial ace, but I'm a fan of it primarily due to the fact that it stops double team and sand attack cheese.

I'm not sure if this team would suffice for master class since I set the criteria of:
- no trade evos
- no legendaries

and I'm not Kuroko lol.

Anyways I think this is a fun little team that's relatively accessible if you don't want to get to Ramanas park or trade for a Scizor or Gengar or whatever.

edit: proof attached

Attachments

Hey all,
I recently played through Pearl with an all-Water team (Empoleon, Bibarel, Gastrodon, Floatzel, Manaphy, Palkia) and am keeping the theme in the Battle Tower. Unfortunately I'm an idiot and love Trick Room, so I bred and trained the attached team over the course of the last few weeks and finally took it into the Tower yesterday.

Slow King (Slowking) (M) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Oblivious
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 180 SpA / 84 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Surf
- Psychic
- Protect
- Trick Room

Sal' Wester (Pelipper) (F) @ Charti Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Brine
- Hurricane
- Protect
- U-turn

Westlea (Gastrodon) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 116 HP / 172 Def / 160 SpA / 60 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Clear Smog

Mr. Dumpty (Azumarill) (M) @ Wide Lens
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 SpD
Brave Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Play Rough
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet

Strategy:
• Slowking uses Trick Room or Protect and then feeds Gastrodon Surfs while spreading decent damage and having a "fast" and powerful Psychic
• Pelipper U-turns or switches or Hurricanes a threat to Slowking or Protects
• Gastrodon eats at least one Surf before attacking thanks to higher Speed than Slowking, and carries Clear Smog for inevitable evasion shenanigans and setup sweepers
• Azumarill has physical attacks

Reasoning for EV spreads:
• I like 201 HP
• I forgot about double targeting

Problems with the team were immediately apparent but we unlocked Master Class on the first try so I figured why not try it. In Battle 6 I encountered Rest/Talk/two-illegal-moves Dewgong and learned exactly why not. I think it's basically a miracle I made it this far, but before I give up on RainRoom entirely, does anyone have any pointers on where I could improve the team? Other than buying Sal' a pair of Choice Specs once I can afford them, I think Slowbro might work slightly better than Slowking, who earned his spot by *checks notes* ...matching a Premier Ball's color scheme better. Sadly absolutely 0 Water-types, in the 493 or otherwise, learn redirection moves; if Masquerain could learn Rage Powder I'd stretch my rule for it.
One thing that occurred to me is that I could repurpose some of these team members for a singles Tower team so that it won't be a total loss when I switch to RainWind for doubles.

currently on a 105 streak, i know current streaks aren't added until 200 but i wanted to show my progress.
team i'm using is:

Garchomp (M) @ Yache Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Substitute

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet

Raikou @ Choice Specs
Ability: Inner Focus
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Scald
- Volt Switch

pretty standard team, standard garchomp set with sd/eq/outrage/sub, only difference is i prefer yache berry over lum berry because it means i can sd on leads with ice coverage and still have over half of my hp if needed. very rarely did i need a lum (flamethrower burns, etc.) but the chances of that happening don't matter too much. sometimes it's useful for the outrage confusion but most of the time garchomp has done it's job so that azumarill and/or raikou can clean up.

azumarill is here so that other dragons (mostly dragonite) don't destroy me, while also having the very needed water coverage. azu's bulk makes it fairly easy to setup against weaker mons, but it doesn't necessarily need to use it all the time, depending on the team you're facing. the 20 speed investment outspeeds -speed swampert. i originally lost to a team with froslass/swampert/mamoswine, azu gets switched into froslass to set up belly drum and aqua jet kills, but the chance of aqua jet being disabled due to cursed body made me lose. swampert gets sent in, eq revenges. chomper gets sent in, sd's, but its ice coverage froze me and i lost. to prevent it from happening again i added the 20 speed evs just in case.

raikou is standard, i prefer volt switch over extrasensory because it helps maintain some momentum, especially if i know the oppo has a ground type in the back, i don't want to be locked into thunderbolt knowing i have no ground resists. however there's a team with lickilicky/breloom/milotic where extrasensory would come in handy vs breloom if i don't get 3 turns of outrage, or if i get 2 turns + hit myself in confusion. might slap it back on just so i don't risk any unnecessary rng.

the team struggles a little with palmer's heatran/rhyperior/dragonite team because it relies on rolls, not being frozen by ice punch, and not missing play rough. scenario goes:
t1: garchomp eqs heatran, heatran dragon pulses, takes chomp down to about 75%
t2: garchomp eqs heatran and kills, palmer sends in rhyperior
t3: switch out to azumarill, rhyperior uses ice punch (i pray it doesnt freeze)
t4: azumarill uses waterfall, but it's 50/50 to ohko rhyperior (where is liquidation smh).

if it ohkos rhyperior:
t5: dragonite comes in, uses dragon dance, azu uses play rough (pray it doesnt miss), dragonite left with 30-40%
t6: switch out azumarill for garchomp, dragonite uses thunderpunch
t7: dragonite locks into outrage, chomp dies, rough skin chip.
t8: azumarill comes back in to waterfall and win

if it doesnt ohko rhyperior:
t4: rhyperior eq's back, azumarill left with about 40-50% after sitrus berry.
t5: dragonite comes in, thunderpunch kills azumarill
t6: garchomp comes in to outrage, dragonite outrages back, kills chomp but takes rough skin damage.
t7: raikou comes in to tbolt to win

both scenarios require chomp to be alive to win, which is why i have to risk the ice punch switch in.

lost at 144 because of a 10% brightpowder miss im kinda cheesed LOL tower rng strikes again..
during one of the sets palmer's rhyperior ice punch froze my azumarill, it thaws next turn, lives the 50/50 waterfall, then ice punch freezes again and i somehow get out of it, i suppose i deserve to actually lose to 10% this time. i changed volt switch back to extrasensory just in case, didn't make much of a difference though

Hi! Just want to add my experience if it can help other player (mainly newbe like me).
My team is a "poor version" of Q8altaria's one (many thanks for the team).
Since I mainly play by myself and I don't have much time for full IV, hidden abilities pokemon, I was looking for a cookie cutter team to reach rank 10 and farm BP.
So far this team allowed me to reach rank 10 and a 63 streak ongoing in double matches.
The difference between mine and original are the following:
-Good but not perfect IV: every pokemon have about 16-28 in important stats and about 10 in speed. Aron can be whatever;
-No earthquake on Snorlax: I already used my EQ TM, but high horsepower works well enough;
-No Self-destruct on Snorlax: too much time needed to find a munchlax with one, replaced with hammer arm, used a couple of time;
-No rock slide and attract on Aron: he uses protect and endeavor 99% of time, last 2 moves can be whatever;
-EV simplified: Snorlax full def and atk, Dusknoir full HP and 1/2 def e spd, Hariyama full atk and 1/2 def e spd. No EV spent on Aron;
-Dusknoir nature sassy in place of relaxed (that was the one I already had...).

This team is very straightforward, I got my streak without looking at enemy set (and I even did mistakes here and there, like endeavor ghosts or high horsepower levitate :D).
The closest I come to lose was against opponents that lead with Abomasnow and Bronzong.
In this case I found to be better to focus Bronzong and the pokemon that come after (Politoed if I remember right).
Before killing Abomasnow I think that it's better to wait and put up another trick room, because without it opponent Snorlax killed both my Dusknoir and Snorlax with EQ, and nearly killed my last Hariyama.
Another thing to look after are pokemon with mold breaker (Rampardos), go for them first.

So, as I said I think that this is a very strong and easy to build team, that can be useful for new players. Thanks again to Q8altaria for sharing! :)

Attachments

Last edited:
I finally did it! I beat Palmer 2!
Here's the team I used to get to him.

Cloyster (Male) (Quick Ball)
Item: Focus Sash
EV's: 6 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
IV's. Best! Best! Best! Pretty Good, Best! Best!
Moves:
Icicle Spear
Rock Blast
Razor Shell
Shell Smash

Garchomp (Male) (Pokeball)
Item: Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Veil (no hidden ability. snivel)
EV's: 6HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
IV's Best! Best! Best! Decent, Best! Best!
Moves:
Outrage
Earthquake
Iron Head
Swords Dance

Gyarados (Female) (Safari Ball)
Item: Wacan Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EV's: 6HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
IV's: Best! Best! Best! Very Good, Best! Best!
Moves:
Waterfall
Ice Fang
Thrash
Dragon Dance

Finally got a run where I wasn't haxed by stuff like Double team, though I did nearly lose to some hax on one or 2 occasions on this run.

But here's how my battle with Palmer goes down!
Our battle was epic! He leads with Regigigas, and I go straight for the Shell Smash, but Stone Edge does over half with my -2 defence from Shell Smash. I then go for Icicle Spear, but he survives on 1HP after 5 hits! Cloyster then dies to Stone Edge.

Heres the damage calculator for Icicle Spear on Regigigas. Like WOW. Unless one of the hits was a critical hit, I wasn't going to get him in one hit. That absolutely sucks!
+2 252+ Atk Cloyster Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Regigigas: 180-215 (82.9 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (100.00% chance to 2HKO after accuracy)

I then send out Garchomp and Iron Head the 1HP Regigigas, and Palmer sends in Heatran. I go for a Earthquake, but he gets a bright powder miss, and I get hit with a Flash Cannon. I then go for a 2nd Earthquake, but he then switches to Cresselia. The levitate means earthquake doesn't effect it.

I go for a Swords Dance, as it goes for Calm Mind. I then click Outrage, and Cresselia goes for another calm mind. Then my second Outrage KOs it, and Garchomp becomes confused and consumes its Lum Berry!

Then its just the Heatran. I click Earthquake, and this time it doesn't get the bright powder miss, and it gets a X4 weakness to Earthquake to the face at +2 from the Swords Dance. It ain't surviving that!!! GG!!!

Not sure if we need to post proof of the 49 run, but here's my picture.

1641254553643.png

Last edited:

HERE COMES THE BOI

Hello and howdy! I just got an ongoing streak of 105 in the Classic Doubles a while back with some good ol' Eruption Spam Typhlosion! Do note that this will be from the perspective of Classic Doubles as I just wanted the 100-Win Streak Trainer Star as fast as possible through mass volcanic destruction.

Typhlosion (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Extrasensory / Focus Blast
- Solar Beam

Sableye (M) @ Wide Lens / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Sunny Day
- Knock Off / Feint
- Quash
- Will-O-Wisp

Garchomp (M) @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide

Zapdos @ Yache Berry
Ability: Static
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Thunderbolt
- Hyper Beam
- Ancient Power

Typhlosion is the star of the team, quickly eliminating teams with the support of Prankster Sunny Day & Will-O-Wisp (WoW) Sableye. Zapdos and Garchomp would be your classic Gen 6-7 Discharge/Earthquake combo that would help out with most threats Typhlosion is unable to deal with (namely bulky Rock, Water, and Dragon types).

Typhlosion is the fast attacking Eruption spammer. In nearly every game, you're clicking Eruption. Flamethrower was added as a 100% accurate Fire move in the event Typhlosion was switching out and losing health in between. Solar Beam would be Typhlosion's main coverage move against Gastrodon-1 and Swampert-1. For Typhlosion's last move, it was a choice between Extrasensory or Focus Blast which both are not good... The EVs were made to maximize his power and speed. Typhlosion's Choice Scarf can definitely be replaced with Charcoal or Choice Specs given that we have Quash Sableye, but I preferred not worrying too hard about my speed while having Sableye focus on boosting Typhlosion's firepower.

Sableye is a Prankster Sunny Day support that can burn enemies and increase Typhlosion's firepower with WoW. The reason why I opted for Sableye rather than a Drought Pokemon was for the utility purposes that Sableye offered over Ninteales and Torkoal. Quash would be a monumental help when dealing with our team's faster threats. I opted for Knock Off over Feint, because I found the utility and additional damage to be more helpful against bulkier threats such as Slowking-1 and Claydol-1. Feint's chill though for the earlier sets to quickly break Sturdy/Sashes if Typhlosion is able to OHKO immediately without any initial Fire-boosting support. I wasn't too sure what to put for the EV spread, so I opted for the standard max HP/SpDef investment spread. I went for Wide Lens over Sitrus Berry to increase Will-O-Wisp's accuracy against opponents (just a hunch, but I don't think Will-O-Wisp misses against your own Flash Fire Pokemon), although Sitrus Berry's utility would be much greater in most scenarios.

Garchomp is the strong physical backup needed to wall-break Typhlosion's Rock/Dragon defensive threats (Altaria-1, Tyranitar-1, etc.). Earthquake and Dragon Claw are its main STAB moves, while Poison Jab and Rock Slide are its coverage moves. The EVs were made to maximize his power and speed. Focus Sash would be there solely for Garchomp-1 and OHKO moves.

Zapdos is the electrical damaging backup. Having a strong Electric move is needed against Typhlosion's opponents, such as Walrein, Tentacruel, and other bulky water types. Unfortunately, Hyper Beam and Ancient Power are Zapdos's other Special Attacking damage moves. Oh how I wish Hidden Power, Heat Wave, and Toxic were available for this Pokemon in BDSP, but we'll see in the future. The EVs were made to maximize his power and speed. Yache Berry was for Starmie-1 and other Ice Beam/Ice Shard/Avalanche users.

- Know when to prioritize Sunny Day vs WoW. They both do the same damage increase (50% boost) to Fire-Type moves, but in situations where you're dealing with Cloud Nine Pokemon, fighting against opposing Fire or Water-Type Pokemon, or deciding if you're going to switch Typhlosion out, then see which move fits best at the moment.
- It is not a requirement for Typhlosion or Zapdos to have 0 IVs in Atk. It's just there to reduce the damage of potential Foul Play users.
- It is not a requirement for all the Pokemon to be male. I just did that so that Aerodactyl-1 (always male) would not use Attract on any Pokemon.

- Priority moves such as Fake Out, Aqua Jet, and Sucker Punch. Melinda's Crawdaunt-1 and Cacturne-1 can knock out Typhlosion to the point where I would recommend switching Typhlosion out for Zapdos and either using Sunny Day or Knock Off on Crawdaunt with Sableye to lower Aqua Jet's damage next turn. A healthy Garchomp + Typhlosion to switch over can deal with the rest of her team after Sableye has done its work.

- Fat mons such as Cradily-1, Slowking-1, Tentacruel-1, etc. McKenna's Cradily-1 & Golduck-1 lead is annoying and I suspect you can lose to Cradily's Stall/Swagger if you aren't too careful. You'd want to WoW the Typhlosion to use Eruption first turn, because of the Cloud Nine. I'd proceed to prioritize killing the Cradily-1 (switching back and forth with Garchomp between the two) because Stockpile Swagger can be bothersome since I didn't have room for Taunt.

- Clyde's Claydol-1 and Garchomp-1. Garchomp-1's a threat in general for the team if you're unable to burn it with WoW, but in this scenario, I would Sunny Day Eruption first to get the chip off Garchomp and to ensure that Focus Sash Garchomp takes it down while Sableye uses Quash. I would just keep the back as healthy as possible and sacrifice Typhlosion. I lost at Battle 89, because I thought Sunny Day Solar Beam would be safe for my backup to deal with the Sword Dance Chomp + Rock Polish Claydol, and BOY WAS I WRONG.

Do I think this team will perform well and far into Master Class? No, but there's a lot of room for improvement now and also when transfers come out. Sableye would get Prankster Gravity, Zapdos would gain Heat Wave to benefit from Sunny Day, and I'd be able to shove Toxic somewhere to deal with the stallier threats like Cradily.

I'd like to give a special shoutout to the friendly folk over at the Battle Facilities Discord chat for checking out the team! o/

Hey guys, could really use some help. For some reason I got it into my head that I wanted to get my Milotic all the ribbons in the game, and that of course includes the battle tower ribbon. I am at my absolute wit's end just trying to make a team with Milotic work (losing access to Toxic this gen is such an L, I didn't know that before I started this fun journey). I literally just need to beat Palmer in the third set of the master class; I didn't think this would be such a big ask but here I am a week and a half into this with a pitiful max streak of 14 and I'm losing my mind.

The current team:

Josie (Cloyster) (F) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Surf
- Shell Smash

This thing is a god. Half the battles begin and end with Josie sweeping through the opposing team with no issue. The problem is, well, the other half.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

My answer for (most) electric types. Anything big and bulky that doesn't carry Ice Beam usually dies to this too. Unfortunately, a lot of big and bulky things carry Ice Beam.

Cordelia (Milotic) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Double Team

More useful than it looks, honestly. Cordy can reliably tank just about anything that doesn't run grass or electric moves, and Scald is clutch against physical sweepers. I know I should probably put Dragon Tail or Haze in that last spot, but Double Team cheesing has actually saved me a bunch of times. I don't like to rely on it though.

My biggest weaknesses with this team are heavy hitting special attackers (especially anything carrying ice and electric moves) and big, bulky water types. For what it's worth, I can usually get past the common Suicunes but I nearly always have to resort to PP stalling, and I need to have a physical attacker alive to finish the job. Lots of fun. I recently got completely walled by Quagsire-4, so I said fuck it and made my own (except with Surf instead of Whirlpool because apparently Quagsire can't even get that in BDSP and the NPC cheats).

Lollys (Quagsire) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Surf
- Stockpile
- Toxic
- Recover

My plan is/was to swap Cordelia for Lollys right up until the 5th battle of the third set, where I'd swap her back in and pray I can win just three more battles with her and get the damn ribbon. But I keep getting stalled by Rest users, and I was completely dunked on by a Roost-using Scizor on my last attempt, which was just lovely.

I've got a couple other mons from previous failed team comp attempts:

Balerion (Salamence) (M) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Iron Tail

This guy's gone through a lot of revisions. He used to run Intimidate/Lum Berry/Outrage, and he had Flamethrower at one point too. This current version seems to be the one that synergizes best with my team, but he usually dies too quickly to be of much use.

Roku (Infernape) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Naive Nature
- U-Turn
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz

Roku was paired with Balerion for a long time in normal singles. He never did as much damage as I'd have liked, but he was a useful revenge-killer. Choice Scarf is for Starmie. Literally just Starmie. Though I'm sure it came in handy for other matchups too.

Breloom (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Spore

My attempt at a solution for my bulky water type problem. It didn't last long. Her use of a Focus Sash required that I put my Cloyster aside, which I've been relying on more than I realized. Also, Breloom just isn't fast enough to use Spore effectively a lot of the time. A Poison Heal/Toxic Orb set might be better, but then I'd need to swap out my Gliscor.

So, this is where I'm at right now. I feel like I have a pretty good core with Cloyster/Gliscor/Quagsire(+Milotic), but my lack of a reliable way to deal with bulky health-restorers (or just, Cresselia - I hate Cresselia, especially the wise glasses Cresselia with Energy Ball, that thing can burn) is my number one issue. The problem is that it's a pretty prevalent issue. If anyone could help me find a way to make Milotic work, I'd very much appreciate it. I'm willing to rebuild my team from the ground up as long as Milotic is included somehow.

EDIT: Just double checked the ribbon requirements and apparently whatever article I read first was a total liar cause I actually need a streak of 49 to get the ribbon? Fucking kill me. Okay, now I really need help.

EDIT 2: Also, I don't currently have access to Brilliant Diamond exclusives. If Tyranitar (for example) ends up being the one missing piece to the puzzle that solves all my problems, let me know and I'll find a way to get it, but I'd rather not unless I absolutely have to.

EDIT 3: lol I forgot my Infernape

Last edited:
View attachment 390050

Never have I thought from the beginning that no one else would really get the 200 winstreaks before me ?
I honestly don't think of myself as a huge expert in Pokémon. I'm definitely not the best team builder nor the best pilot but I gotta tell you, I had the patience and patience was key indeed.

I remember when Lifecoach (A professional HearthStone player) was being made fun of for playing his games veeeeery slooooowly all the time. And one time I was watching him play, he ended up becoming the first player in the season to reach legend rank, thus he was rank 1 in Europe despite his slow games and time consumed on each turn. The lesson ?
QUALITY > QUANTITY

Slow and steady won me the race in the end. For almost every game, I was checking the database of battle tower sets and trainers so thank you so much for the people who made them and the calculator. I wouldn't have won a fraction of 200 without these tools.

THE WORLD ★ @ Sitrus Berry
Relaxed
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
IVs: 22 SpA / 0 Spe
- Gravity
- Trick Room
- Brick Break
- Night Shade

Fixalas @ Berry Juice
Level 1
Brave
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk
- Attract
- Rock Slide
- Endeavor
- Protect

Brdenoos B6a @ Wiki Berry
Brave
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Def
IVs: 18 SpA / 0 Spe
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Self-Destruct
- Crunch

D'3yyyyyyj ! @ Flame Orb
Brave
Ability: Guts
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Def / 112 SpD
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Fake Out

Ideal game:
Turn 1: Trick Room & Protect
Turn 2: Endeavor & Night Shade (Aron lives from Sturdy and heals from Berry Juice)
Turn 3: Endeavor & Night Shade the same side (Aron lives from Sturdy)
And now the 3rd Pokémon will not be summoned because it belongs to the other trainer, so it's always a 2v1 on the field.

Dusknoir:
I did not make the EVs for anything specific. First I wanted just full HP and euqal Def/Sp.Def but I think I moved some for Def later to maintain a higher sum. I could be mistaken but Frisk is theoretically useless because it will not help discover anything the database can't show. Se, Pressure is better but Frisk is for lazy people who don't wanna check the database sometimes. I was using Rock Slide instead of Brick Break earlier, but having an assuring attack vs Normal types is better and also doing AOE dmg is pretty useless because the main goal is to kill 2 pokémons from 1 side. Often times against (Brighter Power / Double Team) I would take a turn to use Gravity & Protect which boosts accuracy, and then do the Endeavor Night Shade combo again.

Aron:
I thought of having Rock Slide for a chance to flinch or finish 1 HP enemies, which doesn't come often of course. Maybe a 100% accuracy move would be better. Attract is not that great either, but it came in handy vs Garchomp's Rough Skin. I was thinking of Rain Dance to kill the snow vs Abomasnow-2&4 teams, but I can imagine it would lead to the same outcome if you just Protect turn 1. Endeavor turn 1 works in hail only when Aron tanks 1 hit and heals. Also I had the though of having Gluttony with Belly Drum, but then I figured Snorlax's main job is to be a quick solution to when things go wrong early, so I just wanna hit with him right away.

Hariyama: (Thanks to Zero for recommending this to me)
Before this, I was using Cresselia CM Moonlight Psychic Moonblast and she was doing great almost all the times. Later, I was thinking of Machamp, haven't tried him yet but I liked Hariayama's numbers more. Hariyama solves some problems in panic situations instead of being something that is just slow setup like Cresselia. What I mean by that is I aim to kill stuff fast on one side to get to the 2v1 and then everything is at ease.
EVs: Max Atk and ½ Def & ½ Sp.Def. @ 223 HP to have maximum HP/Def bulk with minimum Burn dmg taken since Burn does 1/16 max HP (rounding down).

Snowlax:
HP to get maximum (1/3) heal from Wiki Berry, rest is Atk & Def. I spent alot of time trying to catch a Munchlax in underground with Self-Destruct, yet I was always too afraid to use it xD.

I have also thought alot about having another Trick Room user, but I wonder "Fights eaither finish quickly or things can go bad early" early enough that Dimensions are still twisted, and that's when I'm in desperate need for my buddies Brdenoos/D'3yj. Alot of the times I lose a pokémon and the dimensions return to normal, but at that time the battle is pretty much already won and there's no need really for Trick Room to help the Bulky boys finish the game.

I have been in a situation once where both Hariyama and Snorlax were in love with a female, so I was gonna swap one of their genders for sure but they both have a low % chance to breed a female >.<
I humbly accept any criticism / suggestions to proving this team, so please feel free to share your ideas.
The streak is #ONGOING at 200 wins, but I'll definitely be slowing down / taking a break and getting back to my life as a student/musician. *sigh* I can finally rest now zzzzzzzz
Thank you Zero for providing me with pokémons
Thanks to the guy who traded me a Hariyama and the other who evolved my Dusclops (RIP Eviolite)

Discord: Altaria#0150
Thank you so much <3
Hey, I´m fairly new to competitive training and stuff like that, so I was just wondering, for aron you only put 252 EVs in attack, in nothing else? And what IVs did you have on him or do they not matter and thats why you didn´t mention it?
And for the other three Pokemon, do you have 31 IVs in all the ones you didn´t mention specifically? Or do they not matter either?

Last edited:
Hey, I´m fairly new to competitive training and stuff like that, so I was just wondering, for aron you only put 252 EVs in attack, in nothing else? And what IVs did you have on him or do they not matter and thats why you didn´t mention it?
And for the other three Pokemon, do you have 31 IVs in all the ones you didn´t mention specifically? Or do they not matter either?
All IVs are 31 unless stated otherwise. Ideally, you'd want your special attackers to have 0 IVs in ATK just in case they get confused.

Aron is level 1 on the team and is mostly used to survive one hit, get put to 1 HP due to sturdy and then reduce the HP of an opponent to 1 as well via Endeavor. So I guess they wouldn't really matter, unless Q8altaria knows of some weird breakpoints.

All IVs are 31 unless stated otherwise. Ideally, you'd want your special attackers to have 0 IVs in ATK just in case they get confused.

Aron is level 1 on the team and is mostly used to survive one hit, get put to 1 HP due to sturdy and then reduce the HP of an opponent to 1 as well via Endeavor. So I guess they wouldn't really matter, unless Q8altaria knows of some weird breakpoints.
Ah okay, thanks a lot! :)

Theres a lot of strategies I want to use, but they all require the use of the ability patch item. An item you can only get at the battle facility for 200 BP.
Hence why in my battle 49 Palmer 2 report, i'm using Sand Veil Garchomp instead of Rough Skin Garchomp.

I'm at about 164 BP right now, and just need to grind master classes now for the remaining 36BP, but I intend to use the ability patch on a ready to go Glalie. I'm not sure how viable Moody Glalie is without Truant Durant, but I've already bred a team ready, that could potentially set up.

Did 90 wins at singles classic without much of a sweat. Palmer wasn't much of a struggle with any of the teams I put together, especially the first fight.

But an acupressure Tentacruel spammer hit top evasion and stopped me in my tracks. To be frank, classic was becoming a bit boring except for the final stretch towards Palmer's 2nd match, so that's alright.

Moved on to master's singles last night... haven't made it past 4th fight in 3 attemps!!! Wow. I love it because I am a glutton for punishment, but it can be rough.

Here is the team I was using:

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Veil
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

Latios @ Soul Dew
EVs: 252 SpA/ 4 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Energy ball

Suicune @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice beam
- Rest
- Calm mind

In classic, this team was very useful, despite the glaring weaknesses to fairy and ice.

Problems?

1. Weakness to ice and fairy for two pokemon.
2. Suicine and Latios need hypertraining in 3 stats each. They are not level 100 yet so there is a bit of a grind.
3. Garchomp may have to be minted to Jolly for extra speed. Suicune's EV spread was too optimistic. I may have to sacrifice on speed for more HP.
4. Movesets are wide but need revising. Stone edge hits hard flying types but misses from time to time. Poison jab may replace it. Crunch is there for type coverage but Swords Dance may be a more suitable option.
5. Garchomp's ability. I will need to get more BPs to fetch an ability patch.

Can I make it with this team?

Other options I have battle-ready:

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Fang

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Curse Body
EVs: 252 SpA/ 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- TBD (Nasty plot? Will-o-wisp?)

Gliscor @ ????
Ability: Hyper cutter (waiting for ability patch)
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice fang
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Scizor @ ???
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Spe / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Bullet punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Wing Attack (undecided)

Azelf @ ???
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Dazzling gleam
- Shadow ball

Magnezone @ ???
Ability: Magnet pull
EVs: 252 SpA/ 4 HP/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magnet rise
- Thunder wave
- Discharge
- Flash Cannon

Other pokemon not ready for battle but in the pipeline:

Infernape, Roserade, Floatzel, Blastoise, Arcanine, Latias, Raikou, Starmie, Espeon.

Any advice as to how to improve my team for Masters? I would like to get to a 100-streak in due time. I feel there is an element of randomness at times with evasion spamming and 1HKO moves that at times destroy you, but that is the battle tower for you I guess.

Thoughts?

Did 90 wins at singles classic without much of a sweat. Palmer wasn't much of a struggle with any of the teams I put together, especially the first fight.

But an acupressure Tentacruel spammer hit top evasion and stopped me in my tracks. To be frank, classic was becoming a bit boring except for the final stretch towards Palmer's 2nd match, so that's alright.

Moved on to master's singles last night... haven't made it past 4th fight in 3 attemps!!! Wow. I love it because I am a glutton for punishment, but it can be rough.

Here is the team I was using:

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Veil
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Stone Edge

Latios @ Soul Dew
EVs: 252 SpA/ 4 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Energy ball

Suicune @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice beam
- Rest
- Calm mind

In classic, this team was very useful, despite the glaring weaknesses to fairy and ice.

Problems?

1. Weakness to ice and fairy for two pokemon.
2. Suicine and Latios need hypertraining in 3 stats each. They are not level 100 yet so there is a bit of a grind.
3. Garchomp may have to be minted to Jolly for extra speed. Suicune's EV spread was too optimistic. I may have to sacrifice on speed for more HP.
4. Movesets are wide but need revising. Stone edge hits hard flying types but misses from time to time. Poison jab may replace it. Crunch is there for type coverage but Swords Dance may be a more suitable option.
5. Garchomp's ability. I will need to get more BPs to fetch an ability patch.

Can I make it with this team?

Other options I have battle-ready:

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Fang

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Curse Body
EVs: 252 SpA/ 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- TBD (Nasty plot? Will-o-wisp?)

Gliscor @ ????
Ability: Hyper cutter (waiting for ability patch)
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice fang
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Scizor @ ???
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Spe / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Bullet punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Wing Attack (undecided)

Azelf @ ???
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Flamethrower
- Dazzling gleam
- Shadow ball

Magnezone @ ???
Ability: Magnet pull
EVs: 252 SpA/ 4 HP/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magnet rise
- Thunder wave
- Discharge
- Flash Cannon

Other pokemon not ready for battle but in the pipeline:

Infernape, Roserade, Floatzel, Blastoise, Arcanine, Latias, Raikou, Starmie, Espeon.

Any advice as to how to improve my team for Masters? I would like to get to a 100-streak in due time. I feel there is an element of randomness at times with evasion spamming and 1HKO moves that at times destroy you, but that is the battle tower for you I guess.

Thoughts?
You need to be very careful about using moves without 100% accuracy, or at least be able to put yourself in positions where misses aren't too costly. Using Stone Edge means a wasted turn 20% of the time in ideal conditions, which is even worse when the opponent has Bright Powder or Evasion moves, which is obviously not ideal if you're trying to go for an extended streak.

The purpose of using a boosting move that increases a defensive stat in the Tower is generally to become nigh-unkillable when your stats are maxed out. Suicune's still doing major damage to everything with six Calm Minds under its belt, so any SpAtk EVs are generally going to waste unless you need them for a specific threat you want to take out without boosts. Same with Speed; unless you need to be faster than specific threats, Speed won't matter when you're unstoppable through boosts. I'd remove almost all Speed EVs and put them into defenses (likely physical Defense, as your SpDef is getting increased by Calm Mind anyway).

You'd probably benefit from taking a look at what other people in this thread are using and asking yourself what parts of those sets you could adapt for yourself. Stuff like Garchomp and Suicune are on a lot of teams.

Does no one have any advice for a team with Milotic? Some general tips, even? Anything?
i used to run this team with milotic, but ended up dropping it because it's too passive. mirror coat helps occasionally against special attackers, but sometimes you'll have to pp stall and it gets a little boring

Garchomp (M) @ Yache Berry
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Substitute

Milotic @ Flame Orb
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Mirror Coat
- Recover

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch
- Ice Shard
- Throat Chop

Does no one have any advice for a team with Milotic? Some general tips, even? Anything?
Milotic's good at just sitting there. Good general-purpose set seems like HP and Defense investment with Scald, Ice Beam, Recover and filler. Flame Orb to let it absorb status and abuse Marvel Scale.

Haze or Dragon Tail can prevent opponents from setting up in your face. Bulldoze and Tickle are there if stat reduction would be helpful for another member of your team. Hypnosis is there for free turns, and it's bulky enough to be able to afford missing sometimes. Haze is my personal pick.

I think just switching Gliscor’s moveset to Sub/Protect/Bulldoze/x should be fine. There’s an EV spread for it in one of my earlier posts.

Maybe Double Team on Gliscor would free up something like Coil/Rest/Hypnosis/Waterfall on Milotic (obviously use a mint and tweak the EVs if you go that way - Jolly with max HP and Speed is probably decent enough).

edit: Hypnosis is an egg move and would require you to breed it onto a Feebas, evolve it to Milotic, and have it sit in the daycare with your ribbon Milotic, so it’s probably less time-consuming to just leave it as is since Gliscor is the lowest-hanging fruit as far as improvements go. Boom, now you can stall slow stuff out of Ice Beam and just about any team that would have allowed Gliscor to SD up and sweep is still going to lose to it in slower fashion.

Last edited:
View attachment 390050

Never have I thought from the beginning that no one else would really get the 200 winstreaks before me ?
I honestly don't think of myself as a huge expert in Pokémon. I'm definitely not the best team builder nor the best pilot but I gotta tell you, I had the patience and patience was key indeed.

I remember when Lifecoach (A professional HearthStone player) was being made fun of for playing his games veeeeery slooooowly all the time. And one time I was watching him play, he ended up becoming the first player in the season to reach legend rank, thus he was rank 1 in Europe despite his slow games and time consumed on each turn. The lesson ?
QUALITY > QUANTITY

Slow and steady won me the race in the end. For almost every game, I was checking the database of battle tower sets and trainers so thank you so much for the people who made them and the calculator. I wouldn't have won a fraction of 200 without these tools.

THE WORLD ★ @ Sitrus Berry
Relaxed
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
IVs: 22 SpA / 0 Spe
- Gravity
- Trick Room
- Brick Break
- Night Shade

Fixalas @ Berry Juice
Level 1
Brave
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk
- Attract
- Rock Slide
- Endeavor
- Protect

Brdenoos B6a @ Wiki Berry
Brave
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Def
IVs: 18 SpA / 0 Spe
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Self-Destruct
- Crunch

D'3yyyyyyj ! @ Flame Orb
Brave
Ability: Guts
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Def / 112 SpD
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Fake Out

Ideal game:
Turn 1: Trick Room & Protect
Turn 2: Endeavor & Night Shade (Aron lives from Sturdy and heals from Berry Juice)
Turn 3: Endeavor & Night Shade the same side (Aron lives from Sturdy)
And now the 3rd Pokémon will not be summoned because it belongs to the other trainer, so it's always a 2v1 on the field.

Dusknoir:
I did not make the EVs for anything specific. First I wanted just full HP and euqal Def/Sp.Def but I think I moved some for Def later to maintain a higher sum. I could be mistaken but Frisk is theoretically useless because it will not help discover anything the database can't show. Se, Pressure is better but Frisk is for lazy people who don't wanna check the database sometimes. I was using Rock Slide instead of Brick Break earlier, but having an assuring attack vs Normal types is better and also doing AOE dmg is pretty useless because the main goal is to kill 2 pokémons from 1 side. Often times against (Brighter Power / Double Team) I would take a turn to use Gravity & Protect which boosts accuracy, and then do the Endeavor Night Shade combo again.

Aron:
I thought of having Rock Slide for a chance to flinch or finish 1 HP enemies, which doesn't come often of course. Maybe a 100% accuracy move would be better. Attract is not that great either, but it came in handy vs Garchomp's Rough Skin. I was thinking of Rain Dance to kill the snow vs Abomasnow-2&4 teams, but I can imagine it would lead to the same outcome if you just Protect turn 1. Endeavor turn 1 works in hail only when Aron tanks 1 hit and heals. Also I had the though of having Gluttony with Belly Drum, but then I figured Snorlax's main job is to be a quick solution to when things go wrong early, so I just wanna hit with him right away.

Hariyama: (Thanks to Zero for recommending this to me)
Before this, I was using Cresselia CM Moonlight Psychic Moonblast and she was doing great almost all the times. Later, I was thinking of Machamp, haven't tried him yet but I liked Hariayama's numbers more. Hariyama solves some problems in panic situations instead of being something that is just slow setup like Cresselia. What I mean by that is I aim to kill stuff fast on one side to get to the 2v1 and then everything is at ease.
EVs: Max Atk and ½ Def & ½ Sp.Def. @ 223 HP to have maximum HP/Def bulk with minimum Burn dmg taken since Burn does 1/16 max HP (rounding down).

Snowlax:
HP to get maximum (1/3) heal from Wiki Berry, rest is Atk & Def. I spent alot of time trying to catch a Munchlax in underground with Self-Destruct, yet I was always too afraid to use it xD.

I have also thought alot about having another Trick Room user, but I wonder "Fights eaither finish quickly or things can go bad early" early enough that Dimensions are still twisted, and that's when I'm in desperate need for my buddies Brdenoos/D'3yj. Alot of the times I lose a pokémon and the dimensions return to normal, but at that time the battle is pretty much already won and there's no need really for Trick Room to help the Bulky boys finish the game.

I have been in a situation once where both Hariyama and Snorlax were in love with a female, so I was gonna swap one of their genders for sure but they both have a low % chance to breed a female >.<
I humbly accept any criticism / suggestions to proving this team, so please feel free to share your ideas.
The streak is #ONGOING at 200 wins, but I'll definitely be slowing down / taking a break and getting back to my life as a student/musician. *sigh* I can finally rest now zzzzzzzz
Thank you Zero for providing me with pokémons
Thanks to the guy who traded me a Hariyama and the other who evolved my Dusclops (RIP Eviolite)

Discord: Altaria#0150
Thank you so much <3
Currently on a 203 streak using mostly Q8Altarias' team in masters doubles. Antony + Haylee with dewgong-3 + porygon-z-2 lead is the only scary team ive ran across so far with all the 1hko moves and bright powder, but otherwise this has been a pretty brainless 1200+ BP grind which is nice.

My main suggestion for running this team is switching sitrus berry for lum on dusknoir as being able to get off a trick room trough a paralysis or freeze has been very clutch, and the longevity hasnt been needed too badly.

I always love messing around with gimmicks in doubles, but the excision of mostly anything after Gen 4 limits this a lot. Not everything, though! Weezing still has its new Neutralizing Gas ability, which is thankfully not limited to the Galarian forme. This had some minor use in SS to negate Regigigas's stupid ability, who is also still in this game. I've always really liked the Regis, so it's a huge shame that their supposed boss was absolute trash. Until now! I mean, it still wasn't good, but at least usable. Granted, that was in a dynamax game, which is a very beneficial mechanic when you have one supermon. So let's see how it goes in this game...

Not terribly impressive, but honestly, a digit more than expected.

The frontline, obviously, is Regigigas and Weezing. Regigigas itself is simple; Crush Grip/Knock Off/Drain Punch are obvious choices with only the last slot being up for debate. I decided on Facade initially as an anti-burn option. Weezing is much harder to work with, though. It's not even good in singles, and it's especially poor in doubles. Its support movepool is severely lacking, and would-be good options like Will-o-wisp and Screech are too inaccurate for the tower. The only genuinely good move it gets is Taunt, which is useful for neutralizing defensive mons and preventing Protects, among other things. I initially skipped Protect in favor of Substitute (bad idea, spoilers) to take attacks from slower mons, or potentially get a sub in the rather common event that Regigigas would KO something and the remaining mon would also target it. It also combined well with Pain Split, a potentially clutch option that could simultaneously damage enemies and heal Weezing. The larger idea for these two moves was to support Regigigas the best way (after Taunt) that Weezing could - not dying. Not exciting, but that's Weezing's doubles prospects in a nutshell. Finally, I chose Flamethrower as an attacking move that hits some things like Scizor that Regigigas doesn't OHKO.

The backline is much more flexible, and should be tailored to switch into threats they have trouble with as well as pressure those mons offensively. That is the basic premise of teambuilding in doubles, anyways, but I had a far dumber idea - going all in on the gimmick. Slaking also benefits from Neutralizing Gas, and then to really go all-in I also added a second Neutralizing Gas user. "But there is no other Neutralizing Gas user!", you proclaim. You call yourself a smogoner? That's right, I also ran Koffing. Its movepool prospects are equally disappointing, but I took advantage of its frailer nature and ran an Endure/Destiny Bond+Custap Berry set. Slaking is similar to Regigigas, but its movepool options are much worse. Body Slam is a far cry from Crush Grip, and ditto for Night Slash versus Knock Off and Brick Break versus Drain Punch. So I ran a bit more of a defensive set with Slack Off, hoping to take advantage of Slaking's monstrous physical bulk to potentially win endgames even after the gas disappeared. With such an excellently designed backline, how could I lose?

I lost by battle 3, to the Lionel/Abbey combo, one of two obnoxious Drought+Chlorophyll Sleep Powder leaders. And that was with Drought negated! I focused too much on the Bellossom, while Torkoal shred through the leads with an uninhibited Eruption and later Heat Waves. Cresselia and Lapras in the back were too much for my amazing backline to handle. I didn't let that stop me, though, and went back in until winning battle 21. The team had some promise - Regigigas was genuinely monstrous and could often win games with just it and Weezing. Life Orb Crush Grip was strong enough to OHKO uninvested Zapdos, as a point of reference. Regigigas's merely good speed caused some issues, but overall, these two were peas in a pod. Or more literally, they formed a Gas Giant, aka Jupiter. Somehow, though, Koffing and Slaking proved far less effective. Pretty much any battle that got down to them was a nailbiter. Slaking was just so much less threatening than Regigigas, and considering how little its frailer partner added, that just didn't work. Destiny Bond was all it could really do, and such a reckless option was a bit silly considering how reliant the team was on its Neutralizing Gas. If Weezing and Regigigas formed Jupiter, then I'm sorry to say Koffing and Slaking formed Uranus.

So to actually teambuild, I looked ahead to Rank 10 Palmer/Barry. I knew one of their teams had a Scarf Heracross in the lead, which totally negated Regigigas. That's simple enough to switch into, but when the other lead is Choice Band Dragonite that can potentially use Outrage? That basically forced a Fairy. Thankfully, Togekiss has the perfect typing for this, with a 4x Fighting resist and also being immune to EQ which both leads can use. Specs Dazzling Gleam could KO Dragonite with a little help from Weezing as it switched, and Heracross at the same time. After that I knew speed was a bit of an issue with this team which Togekiss was not helping with, so I plopped on a Scizor with its standard strong priority. It's a bit more ability-reliant than ideal, but I thought it was worth a shot. I also finally put Protect on Weezing over Pain Split, which had proven too situational. Mira and Cheryl were really scary with the dual Latios/Scarf Gardevoir leads, and it was really aggravating knowing how little of an issue this would be if I just had Protect. I'm not even entirely sure how I won exactly, I just remember switching out Weezing and Knock Offing Gardevoir's scarf. I also realized I almost never used Facade on Regigigas and taught it Protect as well. Not as useful as on Weezing since it's far and away the main damage dealer, but Protect always find its uses.

This new iteration went fairly well until I, once again, lost to a sun team with a team that negates sun, this time Myron/Jane. Scizor was honestly really useless here, and combined with how mediocre Togekiss was offensively versus Fires made them very problematic in the end. I didn't help my case here by forgetting Ninetales had Protect and wasted Regigigas's one move before it got slept. I could definitely tell the team needed changes, but I kept at it for a bit before losing to Buck and Bertha at Rank 7. Honestly, this was just a total brainfart on my part; I wrongly assumed Trick Room was inevitable against their Mental Herb TR Cresselia, but realized after that Knock Off into Taunt could prevent it. Trick Room shouldn't necessarily be a failstate, but their physically defensive team was hard to remove anything from quickly, particularly Steelix. So Scizor didn't help at all here, either. That's not to say it didn't have its uses, but for the kinds of battles I'd hated the most it just wasn't helping. Physically defensive Pokemon are overwhelmingly Rock or Ground in this game, and combined with the previous issues with Fires I decided a Water type was the clear choice. I still wanted something fast, so I decided on Starmie with an Expert Belt set.

This went well until I shortly got absolutely obliterated by Flint and Volkner in the next rank. An Infernape lead pinned down Regigigas, but Volkner made it risky to switch in either of my backline, which now shared an Electric weakness. I basically had to hope Luxray wouldn't Thunderbolt the Regigigas slot, but it proved to be for nothing as I didn't realize I selected Regigigas's move and switched out Weezing instead. Still, an almost sure loss regardless. I reassessed my team for the last time, so here's the final result:

:regigigas::weezing::togekiss::starmie:

Regigigas @ Life Orb
Jolly/Slow Start
252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Crush Grip/Knock Off/Drain Punch/Protect

Weezing @ Focus Sash
Bold/Neutralizing Gas
252 HP/44 SpD/212 Spe (107 Speed > 4 Spe EV base 85, i.e. Articuno/Cresselia/Suicune)
Sludge Bomb/Flamethrower/Taunt/Protect

Togekiss @ Choice Scarf
Modest/Serene Grace
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Dazzling Gleam/Air Slash/Aura Sphere/Grass Knot

Starmie @ Expert Belt
Timid/Natural Cure
252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Scald/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Protect

The biggest change was changing Togekiss to scarf instead of specs. I "needed" specs to KO Palmer's eventual Dragonite with Dazzling Gleam, but that's not really necessary, and in fact, kind of detrimental given the Thunder Wave Cresselia lurking behind. Scarf gave the team some much needed speed, and particularly versus Flint and Volkner made Togekiss less of a liability. I also ditched Substitute on Weezing; Protect was largely better at keeping it alive, and most cases I could keep a sub I wasn't really in that much danger anyways. There isn't really a particularly good 4th move though, so I just went for Sludge Bomb so Weezing could deal a bit more damage. Lastly, I had Psychic on Starmie originally, but I replaced it with Ice Beam since Zapdos scared me a lot.

While I still had a shitty match-up versus the Infernape team, I at least felt like I might be able to beat it now. I didn't even face it though, and instead fought a Rotom-H lead that quickly Overheated itself into uselessness. The same thing actually happened versus Cyrus and Mars, though the Choice Band Crobat it was paired with meant any double targeting was likely an instant loss. Thankfully, that didn't happen and I got Crobat out of the way ASAP and let Rotom-H Overheat. A badly timed Overheat crit later gave me some issue in this fight still, but not enough for a loss. I finally reached rank 10, and despite all my planning for the Dragonite/Heracross team, I got the Rhyperior/Empoleon lead, which is fairly easy given that physical Empoleon is, frankly, a weenie. Initially I planned to stop there since it seemed clear Regigigas wasn't going anywhere given how many losses I'd already had, but I figured I'd ride out the streak. Obviously, it went further than expected. I think not having looping bosses REALLY helped this - I believe Candice/Maylene were rough, and Volkner/Flint plus Cyrus/Mars would all be terrible to have to repeatedly fight. But having only the one boss that I'd already prepared for simplified things considerably. Well, sort of - I'd underestimated how annoying the Milotic/Torterra lead combo is. I spent a lot of time theorycrafting this fight, and even in the end I don't think I'm that much bad luck away from losing it (main culprit - Body Slam paralysis from Snorlax). But even then, it's far preferable to many of the other boss teams.

While the previous (now irrelevant) bosses were the biggest threat, the team definitely wasn't that prepared for many teams I came across. I didn't really need that much bad luck for a loss, so it was clear that this was still not going to be a large streak. Knock Off, Taunt, and Aura Sphere alleviated things a little bit, but just on a fundamental level, having the lead's damage output so incredibly tied to one Pokemon makes those paras, burns, etc much more damaging. Perhaps the biggest demonstration of this was Gengar-3, who outsped Regigigas and could instantly incapacitate it with Hypnosis, all the while dodging attacks with Bright Powder. I ran into it twice versus Nadia/Dalvin, and both times it went for Weezing instead. I did miss it with Knock Off the second time, but it went for Dream Eater on the second turn thankfully.

Unsurprisingly though, it did end up being my undoing, but on Johanna/Blair instead. Here it's partnered with a Double Team/Fissure Mamoswine, which, truthfully, I'd say is generally better than the Crobat, but certainly not this time! Gengar missed its Hypnosis, but Regigigas missed the first Knock Off too, and I made the arguable mistake of using Flamethrower on Gengar instead of Taunting Mamoswine. This is pointless damage if Regigigas can hit, but neither of my backline can OHKO Gengar so I wanted the chip. Next turn Gengar hit Hypnosis, but on Weezing, and Regigigas got rid of it. Mamoswine Double Teamed again. In comes Regirock, a difficult Pokemon to deal with, though at least not frustratingly random. I wanted to swap out the sleeping Weezing, but I didn't really have a safe switch since it could get Stone Edged, plus doing so would nerf Regigigas. I hit Regirock with Drain Punch and got back up to full, but it was for naught as Mamoswine OHKOd with Fissure and Regirock set up Sandstorm. With sand up, the Drain Punch wasn't even enough to let either of my other attackers finish it off. I chose Starmie (not weak to rock) and had it Protect, I think (this doesn't sound like a great play but I believe it's what I did?), and Weezing was able to wake up and Flamethrower Mamoswine for a bit - but then it also got Fissured. I sent in Togekiss who could thankfully be locked into Aura Sphere safely, and doubled up on Regirock to finish it off. Mamoswine Avalanched (not boosted) Togekiss for half its health. Here, I would be fine if Starmie didn't miss, but it did and Togekiss fainted. Even then, I could win if I didn't miss a second time, but I did again. The EQ took Starmie down to critical HP, leaving it unable to take the succeeding Tauros's Facade. While this was fairly unlucky, it does need to be emphasized that even a t1 Hypnosis hit on Regigigas alone was likely to severely complicate the game.

That battle definitely made me reconsider Psychic on Starmie over Ice Beam, which was mainly a hasty response to Volkner's Zapdos. I even wonder if Lum might be good to provide a safe-ish switch to that Gengar. Honestly though, I probably won't pick up this team again, but just food for thought if anyone else is interested. Anyways, I feel a little silly writing this many words for the prestigious honor of the bottom of the doubles leaderboard, but I really did put a lot of thought into this. Hopefully someone else can bring more honor to the great Regigigas!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)