BDSP Impressions

BDSP have been out for just over a month, so I thought a thread would be nice for everyone to collect and post their opinions.

Right off the bat - I dislike the chibi used in the overworld. While it would manage to be merely uninteresting, the frequent shifts from the top-down perspective look terrible. Chibi isn't incapable of being used in more cinematic fashion like this (even if I'll never call myself a fan of the aesthetic), but the BDSP models are far too inexpressive to make these attempts anything less than terrible. Thankfully, the battles use a more normally proportioned style, though I can't say it's too impressive. The transitions to battle have this frame where the old DP intros are emulated, but honestly they just look weird, an overly forced bit of nostalgia. The new animations for the various trainers are pretty nice, though. It's just a shame that none of these new animations are used for the bosses' last stands, instead opting for a lifeless pan to their face for whatever bizarre reason. After all the effort Sword and Shield put in to really making the mid-battle dialogue pop, BDSP lags by comparison.

Pokemon games don't tend to be lookers anyway though, so how does BDSP play? For starters, the movement of all things is pretty awful. It seems weird to even complain about this in a Pokemon game where movement is so simple, but somehow BDSP messes it up. So many things, Pokemon and objects alike, seem to have way too big of hitboxes (though to be fair, the underground Pokemon were fixed in the latest patch), and combined with how there seems to be no way to slide along objects, bumping into anything is a massive annoyance. On a more positive note, the removal of HMs as an incredible burden on your team is appreciated, though the implementation is a bit simple. Still, I'm not going to spend too much time decrying any alternative to what was previously there. The underground is also massively improved, though now a bit jarring with its wildly different biomes connected with an identical mine look throughout. But the items strewn about and the change of scenery, however jarring, does at least make it a fun place to explore for a bit. Obviously though, the star attractions are the new Pokemon. These are where Platinum's additions are placed...mostly? Some are missing, and some additions aren't from Platinum's dex at all. It's bizarre, but not bad. Just different, I suppose. What is clearly bad is that these additions exist solely for the player, and not your opponents. Indeed, BDSP is a DP remake to an absolutely painful extent. This particular frustration with remakes certainly isn't new with ORAS and its lack of Emerald content, but ORAS at least had more of its own new identity. Let's go back to the first paragraph for a second - notice how I didn't discuss any redesigns whatsoever? That's because there aren't any! Combined with how the art style purposefully mimics the original, this game just straight-up looks like DP in so many respects. Some may find that charming, but frankly I just think it's boring. ORAS also pretty significantly overhauled level-up movepools for the available Pokemon, which BDSP only did very slightly. And while it certainly doesn't get as much attention as boss team overhauls, one thing that ORAS did that I appreciated was bumping up the levels on the weak lategame trainers a lot (random example - around 4-5 levels higher all around), which was a recurring problem in the first few generations. BDSP doesn't do this at all, and boy does it make normal trainers feel like a waste of time after a while. This isn't to say normal trainers have ever been particularly interesting, but in many games they're at least enough to make you interact with the type chart. ORAS also introduced new forms, and Pokemon introduced after Gen 3, while BDSP excises absolutely anything that was introduced after Gen 4. No new forms, Pokemon, nothing. It's just yet another of the myriad ways that beg the question, "why would I play this over the originals?"

I knew all this before the game even released, and honestly I was thoroughly unimpressed and was going to pass on this. So what changed my mind?

Those goddamn boss trainers.

BDSP doesn't really have much of its own identity, but here they went buck wild, especially in the postgame which was what really caught my interest. Even the campaign looked potentially interesting, though. However, the campaign using DP's poor rosters really limited how threatening anything could be. Like, it's cool that Byron uses Trick Room, but 1 of his 3 Pokemon is Bronzor. Dual screen lead on Maylene sounds cool, but it's Meditite. Candice has an Aurora Veil Abomasnow! But it's forced to be the last thing she sends out. In general, the designers just felt like they were brimming with ideas, but had to fit them in these teams that just weren't going to be challenging, ever. Perhaps the silliest example of this was a trainer I found in Wake's gym. I led with my Carnivine versus their Azurill. To my surprise, my Bullet Seed was stymied by Sap Sipper, a hidden ability, and then it used Light Screen of all things. I beat it, and out came a Marill, which did not have Sap Sipper, and presumably Huge Power. So a Grass counter lead that sets up for the "big" one in the back. But I mean, most charitably, this is cute. Less charitably: who the fuck cares? This is such an involved strategy for a trainer with Azurill. You're wasting your time on this, designers!

The other thing that really dampened my experience with the campaign, and again nullified whatever cool ideas they cooked up for the boss fights: the ever-contentious EXP Share. I don't generally like complaining that this is "forced", any more so than any other game mechanic is, anyways. The way exp distribution has simply changed. Sword and Shield had it implemented just fine in their level curve, and I even took a decent amount of time compiling an image showing this and that it's not some boogeyman that makes your team frightfully overleveled. I was actually preparing a similar image during my SP playthrough, ready to once again annihilate my posting enemies. Sadly, it blew up in my face, as I did end up frightfully overleveled for a significant portion of the game. Fantina was around where it started - my Level 36 team versus her 32-36 team - then it only got worse from there. ~42 versus Byron's 36-39, ~49 versus Candice's 40-42, and ~55 versus Volkner's 46-49. Things only finally started normalizing on the tail end of the Elite Four, at least culminating in a cool battle versus Cynthia. There's some cute ideas buried in those gym leader teams, but with such a massive level lead, that's all they ever were: cute.

The postgame was a bit of fresh air, though. Obviously the postgame tends to be harder in most games anyways, but here especially without the need to be tethered to DP's awful rosters did it really blossom. The gym leader and E4 rematches are uniformly pretty cool, with little in the way of prerequisites to do them, too. Admittedly, there are some issues with these too. Having all 8 leaders be at roughly the same level doesn't really work, since you'll get a ton of EXP doing them that will largely make them easier as you go on. They're also in kind of a weird place structure-wise, since you have the postgame island to do, but if you do all of it first you'll be overleveled for the leaders. I ended up doing them halfway through the island, and despite starting ~4 levels below I ended up ~4 levels above by the end. The second E4 rematch at least works beautifully, since it has a clear position - you do this last. Despite some issues, ILCA definitely knocked it out of the park in this respect.

Overall though, I'm pretty disappointed in BDSP. They're largely just DP, again. This would be frustrating on its own, but when they already received a much better revamp with Platinum, it's really just pathetic. I may prefer Emerald over ORAS, and Yellow over FRLG/LG, but at least those remakes don't feel inferior, just arguably worse as an overall package. But I truly don't think BDSP offers anything significant over Platinum. It seems to have no real vision behind it past "let's re-release DP". I'm really not even a doomer about modern Pokemon - there's been some bumps, but I've still consistently bought the games because I consistently enjoy them - but for me this is easily the worst mainline Pokemon release, and boy do I hope it stays that way.

I might come back to this and write up better thoughts, sort of summarizing things I've said in the datamine & playthrough threads, but the one thing that stuck out in my mind more than anything in the world was: this needed to use Platinum as the baseline.

I came out of this with significantly more respect for what Platinum did than I had previously. In discussions its really easy to just sort of flatline it to "The pokedex solved team problems for player & assorted bosses" but there are some pretty significant changes throughout.

Just quoting this part I wrote from the playthrough thread
Ignoring how they had to add a bunch of evolution items and shards around in Pt, Sinnoh has a TON of hidden items but in DP so many of them are shit. Platinum overhauled almost every single hidden item and added new ones and about all of them are way more enticing
A lot of normal trainers got team overhauls too, not just for the sake of adding the platinum pokemon to the rosters for dex seeing purposes but just like....in general. Byron's gym is no longer one trillion Onixes, 2 Steelixes, a skorupi and a woman with just an Azumarill (seriously why is this here at least all the water types in candice's gym have the excuse of water being closely associated with water), there's now a bunch of magnemites, steelixes, bronzors, even a scizor. All those fuckin galactic grunts with the wurple line get broken up with various other pokemon, or just swap out for their old standbys.

It applies to game sequence, too. The Fantina roundabout wasn't just done because it made "more sense", it really did make way more sense in terms of story and gameplay. The way it works in DP is kind of nonsensical. She arbitrarily doesnt fight you and there's no indication of when she returns because you need to hit 2 more plot triggers after beating Wake; I remember going ???? when i beat wake, went back up to hearthome and she still wasnt back. You have to go back, do the grunt chase sequence, then go to celestic town THEN you can fight her and your'e not even given a reason to why she's back. Making her the third leader in Platinum just gets rid of all that nonsense and clears the way for another bit I'll get to after.....
The grunt sequence, by the way! It is insane to me that this is a needed trigger but does nothing to point you that it's there (BDSP at least has a "hey you should explore pastoria more" flag on the town map) and even if you spotted the grunt before there's no reason to think that talking to him after beating wake woudl do anything. There's a reason this entire squence became a more elaborate cutscene in Platinum, it means you cant miss it, it adds more character (both Wake & Barry get involved), it adds a bit more immediate danger to something called "The Galactic Bomb", and it gives an actual excuse why Barry doesnt help since he's making sure no one is hurt (wake, incidentally, isn't chasing because he's prioritizing the damage that just happened and making sure the marsh is safe, that no one was hurt and that there arent more bombs) and no one goes into the Marsh where a bomb just went off (in DP he literally ambushes you at the gate, then leaves while commenting on the grunt). Also changing it to "The grunt used the marsh as a teast bed and is running away to give the results" is wayyyy better than "HE HAS A BOMB AND IS DELIVERING IT TO THE LAKE AND NO ONE STOPS HIM and hten no one talks about it ever"
Now let's take down the pin and how in DP the entire hearthome to pastoria circuit flattens the level curve like this is Johto. The route on the west to pastoria/hearthome has super low levels on par with if you went to Maylene and Wake is actually on par with Maylene level wise. Which is....a cute idea i guess, but has repruccsions on the level curve (and also I dont think you can even take the west route to Pastoria until you arrive there normally??? someone confirm this, please, i might be confusing with Platinum since they wanted a more linear path) not just for that entire chunk of game but the parts right after it (everyone on the surf routes got a level bump to accommodate in Platinum).

or how the Mt Coronet climb was tweaked here and there to add more markers on where to go, which just leads to a more pleasant experience
or how Cyrus got a lot of extra little scenes for his motives and geting a feel for him, almost entirely on the back of feedback from DP about him.

And then you add a lot of little tweaks like avoiding softlocks and drifloon and junk. So on & so forth
It's so many things that add up to such a better experience it's insane.

Crystal, Emerald & skipping ahead to USUM might be GS, RS & SM but better, but it generally feels more like, say "GS+". "RS+". It's an enhanced version with varying levels of more to them, so there's little reason to really play the previous ones outside of stuff like "oh this pokemon is available" or "i kind of prefer this team" or "i like the SM climax more". But those previous versions still felt like whole games, if you catch my drift.

And while it was annoying that, say, ORAS didn't have Emerald stuff, it was honestly not that much in the grand scheme if you don't particularly care for the Battle Frontier to begin with. But there was enough there such that, to me at least, it did make up for it. It felt like a full enhancement of the Hoenn experience.
not to turn everyone into dust immediately but there is going to be a day where SM gets remade and it will almost certainly ignore USUM's additions and while that will be somewhat for the worse, at the end of the day I still loved SM to bits and it can stand on its own. The USUM stuff are, like I said before, just nice extras.

Meanwhile DP feels like a beta, you can feel how janky it is on full display. Platinum just ran down a full list of issues and revised virtually all of them for the better. Platinum could just be called "DP 2.0"
So then we go to BDSP and its like we're playing DP 1.0 because DP was just an early access game there's a substantial numebr of improvements that just come from another 14 years of quality of life changes and new hardware. But we know what 2.0 could be like! It's right there! And we actively ignored everything beyond some of the Pokemon.

I can perfectly envision a version of this game that took platinum, scrubbed out the giratina climax (& maybe Looker/Charon), and redistributed the pokemon for Version Exclusive purposes, but basically kept everything else and while I'd still long for more "new", it would be a vastly better experience.

Sigh.

But despite all that I will at least say: this was basically nostalgic comfort food. I'd probably still go to this before platinum just because gen 4 itself has so many issue. Despite everything I did find some joy from the game. I might elaborate in the future but mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.....

It didn't disappoint me because it's exactly what I expected: Diamond/Pearl with Box Link and the new Exp. Share, two mechanics I really love. Playing with 42 Pokémon in the same savegame was an excellent experience and I totally intend to do something similar for potential Black/White remakes (I... actually took a peek and I might potentially end up using more Pokémon than in BDSP even when restricting myself to Gen V).

What I totally did not expect... is realizing Diamond and Pearl are a lot worse than I remembered. Like, I thought they looked bad because Platinum improved on all fronts, but they are genuinely bad.

I thought the level curve was subpar, but even if we take the mandatory Exp. Share out of the picture, the DP level curve is easily the worst in the series. If you try to keep up with Gym Leader levels, you actually end up overleveling everything in-between (the Gardenia to Maylene/Crasher Wake sequence being horrible at that, as not a single trainer until right before Veilstone surpasses Gardenia's levels). Not even GSC and HGSS have such a bad level curve.

Then you have the Poké Radar that you have so little control over it, with a chain breaking for no reason at all. I've seen people complain at SOS Chaining in Gen VII, but you can strategize with them. With the Poké Radar you can only pray the chain doesn't break.

And of course, BDSP itself is not exent of issues. There are some things that, since they were kept the same, ended up being broken. For instance, you can get Gligar in the Grand Underground, but since it was exclusively available through Dual-slot Mode in DP... you can't evolve it until the post-game.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
BDSP's chibi overworld was initially off-putting, but I've grown to enjoy it while playing through the game. Sinnoh has some of the series's most intricate and tight routes and caves and those may not translate very well with USUM/Swsh's more open world style. I especially disliked navigating through the caves in Swsh's DLC because not having a top-down style meant that pathways are more difficult to see. Navigating through them also gave me motion sickness after a while. While chibi is not the only style they can use for the top down view, it worked very well in the context of Sinnoh's complex maps and I appreciated it. I just hope that Legends: Arceus won't be a mess when Swsh's style collides with Sinnoh's terrains.

BDSP has probably some of the series' most beautiful battle backgrounds. Notable examples include water battles at night, underground terrains in general, Dialga, Strange and Pure Space battles, most Gym Leaders, and Cynthia. Some underwhelming ones exist - such as Barry's "golden void" esque background, but I think the good ones outweigh the bad ones. That said, link battles are stuck with the rather bland Union Room background compared to Swsh's giant and varied stadiums, which is truly unfortunate.

While debating on whether or not I wanted to buy this game, what sealed my decision was the amount of thought they put into the teams of the major characters, especially in the post game. These strategies and movesets have previously only been seen in Rom hacks, and just having something of their caliber be pushed onto an official game felt like a milestone in itself. While Pokemon difficulty ultimately does come down to the restrictions you place on yourself, the game at least tries to keep things fresh and challenging, and I truly appreciated the thought behind it despite the multitude of ways you can easily overcome them.

What truly made the game hit home for me, though, is just how BROKEN it is with all the glitches. Original DP were very glitchy games in themselves, notably featuring cloning, off-bounds walking, and the ability to teach pretty much any Pokemon any move. BDSP came and brought all of these glitches back in upgraded forms. This unexpected nostalgia made me realize that it's been an incredibly long time since we've had games this glitchy - the last time we had them was...the Original DP themselves! The menu glitch seems to have great potential for further exploration. And hey, Sinnoh is a game that is defined by exploration, and these glitches fit right in! It is truly a shame that ILCA (probably with orders from TPC) is at war with these glitches and have attempted to remove them from patch to patch. I've been forced to put my Switch in Airplane mode to minimize the risk of accidentally updating. Even with autoupdates off, I've managed to fatfinger the Download button while resetting for Shiny Giratina. I've been given one more chance to not screw this up thanks to the folks who found the Menu Glitch in 1.1.2, and I'm not screwing this up.

Other than that, I'm just going to leave behind a few thoughts
- The upgraded Battle Tower is nice, and I liked being able to rebattle Cyrus in the postgame.
- I liked that they improved Poffin making by being able to put in 4 berries at once. Combined with the affection bonuses in Amity Square, maxing out contest stats is a piece of cake. Not as easy as in ORAS, though.
- Contests themselves got nerfed unfortunately.
- Not being able to choose your battle music in link battles or Battle Tower is lame.
- I'm also upset that they removed the stat changes/field effects tracker
- Lack of Platinum stuff's been covered so I'm not going to go over them.
- Underground upgrade was excellent, though it came at the cost of decorations.
- My favorite music from the original DP is the Mystery Zone theme. Since it was only accessible through glitching or Action Replay, I did not think that they were going to remaster the theme. Going out of bounds in BDSP does not play the theme either, nor does it place me in Mystery Zone, which made me a little sad. That said, the Route 206 music remaster does contain parts that were once exclusive to the Mystery Zone theme, and I'm just really happy to play the theme over and over again even if it is no longer associated with the void.

At the end of the day, I enjoyed the original DP (despite how slow it was), and it didn't bother me much that BDSP was mostly just DP with less lag. While Platinum still remains the definitive Sinnoh experience, playing DP2.0 again after Sword and Shield was a fresh change in pace, allowing me once again to appreciate Sinnoh's vast side areas and excellent mapwork.

- My favorite music from the original DP is the Mystery Zone theme. Since it was only accessible through glitching or Action Replay, I did not think that they were going to remaster the theme. Going out of bounds in BDSP does not play the theme either, nor does it place me in Mystery Zone, which made me a little sad. That said, the Route 206 music remaster does contain parts that were once exclusive to the Mystery Zone theme, and I'm just really happy to play the theme over and over again even if it is no longer associated with the void.
From looking into this, the "mystery zone" theme was likely an early version of 206 that they left in the game as the Dummy track to use for testing & error handling in case the game doesnt know what song to bring up (ie: the mystery zone)

I don’t like them. While the QOL changes are welcome the bad additions of affection and forced xp share make the gym leader and e4 move set improvements trivial. Unless you go out of your way to avoid xp anyone who even vaguely understands how to play Pokémon should breeze through these games. I was playing a no item nuzlocke where I limited myself to base 500 or lower mons and I got bored because regardless of the restrictions I was so grossly over leveled that the stat disadvantage didn’t even matter. Yeah the E4 might have been hard but if all I’m getting out of this game is a few tough fights I might as well just play Pokémon Showdown.

The whole time I was playing all I could think of was how much better Renegade Platinum, Platinum randomizer, or even just regular Platinum rom on 2x speed is. BDSP makes a lot of nice changes like no HMs but weirdly backtracks in a lot of ways that REALLY matter such as single use TMs, xp share, etc. There's also the very serious issue that the games abandoned virtually all Platinum improvements and story elements.

Also I don’t mind the chibis but let’s be real, we all wanted a graphically modern Sinnoh game in full 3D. The 2d chibi style was just cheap and lazy.

Oh, and lastly the games contain all Pokémon gens 1-4, hammering home that Gamefreak is either brutally incompetent or willingly cut Pokémon to sell back to us in DLC. Either option is horrible.

The games are better than SwSh but that’s an extremely low bar to clear. I give them 6/10. If the original DP games didn’t exist I would rate BDSP much higher but as they are now there just aren’t enough positive changes over negative ones to validate a 60 dollar reskin of a game I can play on my phone for free.

Last edited:
I just finish the game ! And except E4, the game was too easy ! I didn't really use the Underground to catch new pokemon because my team didn't need it, but well, I forgot how Platinum was better than DP ! I don't really like the chibi universe too ! Now I will enjoy a hard game with the post elite 4 ! :) I try to beat the Rock Gym Leader just after Cynthia : I was so underlevelled and not prepared, I barely win even if I have a water, a grass, a fighting, a steel and a ground type (this is the reason I pick him :D)

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
One of the last things I did before the new year hit my timezone was beat BD, so it seems fitting for my first post of the new year to be my thoughts on it. Overall, I think it's okay, but there's a lot to miss from Platinum.

Before I talk about the stuff I wish they kept from Platinum, I'll spend a few sentences on the style. I don't care much about the looks, but the chibi stuff isn't my favorite. I would have definitely preferred something more like previous 3D Pokémon games. It's especially jarring to go from the chibi style to "regular" models in the fights themselves. Like I said though, not a big deal.

Now, for the gameplay stuff. The battles themselves are, well, Pokémon battles, but I was disappointed by the mandatory EXP Share effect and the inability to avoid affection bonuses. I was getting the affection messages before I even unlocked following Pokémon, and I got a bunch of affection boosts during the final battles of the game despite never using following Pokémon once I had them. I didn't mind that stuff since this time around I didn't try to make the game harder than it needed to be and just focused on having fun, but it sucks that the option doesn't even exist for people who want extra challenge.

Getting positive for a bit, I love the Grand Underground. It adds a great amount of teambuilding variety to the region that needs it most desperately, and half my team was exclusive to it. As someone who never gave a shit about the original Underground, I like that I have an incentive to use it this time around. It offsets how bad the normal encounters are in D/P, which is much appreciated. Speaking of which...

This game really should not have used D/P as a base. Those games are so bad, and BD/SP reveals just how bad they really are. There's the stuff you always hear about like the boss teams and poor wild encounters, but also some things that people don't really talk about as much. The pacing is wack because there's huge stretches between some gyms and short strolls between others, a lot of the most iconic and memorable moments from Platinum aren't here, the generic trainers are incredibly bland because almost all of them use the same 11 or so Pokémon, and the story and characters are lackluster even by Pokémon standards. Platinum did so much for Sinnoh that BD/SP feels hollow in comparison because they used D/P as a base. It's a shame, because if this game used Platinum as a base then it could've easily been the best Pokémon game ever, but I guess we don't get that.

This isn't exclusive to D/P, so I'm giving it its own paragraph, but one of the main things I noticed playing BD/SP is how boring Sinnoh's routes and caves are. They all feel nearly identical, and none of them are interesting. The middle of the game blends together in my head because it's some boring routes, followed by a boring cave, followed by more boring routes, followed by another boring cave, so on and so forth. The towns are distinct, and the unique areas like Eterna Forest and the lakes are memorable, but the grass and rock that makes up most of the game's battling and exploration could not be less interesting to me. It makes me have second thoughts about returning to Platinum at some point after I finish up BD/SP.

This post has been mostly negative, so I want to stress that I don't think these games are bad. I haven't mentioned the improved speed yet, but it feels great after the agony that is the gen 4 games. The beefed-up important trainer rosters are cool even if the difficulty is somewhat offset by the additional help the game makes you take. Plus, the core gameplay loop of Pokémon is solid as ever, and I enjoyed running around and beating people despite the stuff I've gone over. It's just that these games aren't what they could be, and some of the changes could have been executed better, so I'm left wishing they did more. I'll probably do some of the post-game stuff, but I don't see myself replaying this. If I want Sinnoh with faster speed and more teambuilding options in the future, I'll get Renegade Platinum. In terms of official games, I think Platinum remains the definitive Sinnoh experience for how much it did for the region, and nothing based on D/P will ever take that title. What a shame.

Actually, on second thought, forget everything I just said. The soundtrack fucks so hard that this is now the best game ever made. Sorry Dark Souls, but there's a new ultimate game of all time in town.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've played up to the Elite Four now, so I think I've got an impression worth summarizing here:

For better or worse, they've pretty much recreated Diamond and Pearl. And overall, I think it's for the worse. Sure, it means going back to a time before a bunch of stupid Game Freak-isms such as tiny regions with hallway routes and no dungeons, in-game opponents that only carry one or two Pokémon, or pointless cutscenes interrupting play every 15 steps. But it also means going back to the design conventions of the handheld era, that were put behind us for good reasons many years ago.

More than anything, these games stand out to me as definite monuments over Game Freak's refusal to move with the times. A refusal to learn anything whatsoever, whether it's from their own experience, player feedback, or the accumulated knowledge of the entire game industry over the last 25 years. Yes, 25 years and not 15 - even Diamond and Pearl were mainly iterations of the Red/Green formula with a minimum of outside input. And it saddens me to see that their 2021 recreation of the game is pretty much the same. Because a lot of the stuff that could pass in a handheld game in 2006 has no excuse to be in a console game in 2021.

Like many others, I don't have much of an issue with the graphics per se. They are passable for what they are. But I also consider them a symptom of something I have a hard time calling anything other than laziness. They evidently wanted to update the graphics to a more modern standard, but they did not want to do all the work of coming up with a new look for the region. So the whole region is recreated tile for tile, and the simplified look of the 2D characters and overworld is translated into chibi 3D models. It is the least laborious compromise between "having 3D graphics" and "not wanting to redesign anything". The effect is a game that looks "HD" on the surface (quotation marks because, well, I've played modern games in HD and they do not look like BDSP), but still adheres to the design limitations of Game Freak's first attempt to work with the DS engine (Apart from the battle backgrounds I guess, which are nice). It is passable, but you clearly see the problems when they try to go beyond these limitations such as in cutscenes. Turns out that locations and characters that were designed to be viewed from the top down do not look very nice up close.

But as I said, the graphics are not the big problem. I could excuse that. The problem is that the games are hopelessly far out of date and that they barely to anything to compensate for it.

I think we should start with the big question: Who on Earth wanted a faithful remake of Diamond and Pearl? It is generally accepted that 1) they are fraught with issues, and 2) Platinum did a great job of addressing many of them. Being faithful to Diamond and Pearl is to objectively choose inferiority. The Pokémon availability is a bad joke, the level curve is all sorts of wacky, and the story is quite bland. R_N did a quite nice rundown upthread. For years, the original Diamond and Pearl have been seen as a sort of obvious beta for Platinum, which is the much better game, because it improved on stuff from Diamond and Pearl. Although it could be argued that the names and themes of Diamond and Pearl stuck better in the public memory than Platinum did, that still is no excuse for being so overly faithful to the worse versions. The general public would not have thought any worse about the game if the improvements had been in place. It almost feels like the faithfulness stems from the developers' own nostalgia for the base versions, because everyone else would rather have had a few changes here and there.

On that note, I suppose we should take a moment to discuss the changes that were made after all. The forced XP Share and the Friendship bonuses are nice for some players, but adding them without a way to opt out is a great big middle finger to player feedback. I've always maintained that victory feels a lot more hollow if it was achieved by rewriting the rules in your favour. It is especially true when these bonuses show up late-game, when a player will have learned the basic game mechanics and put together a decently powerful team with good type coverage and strong moves. That is not the point in the game to suddenly start holding their hand a bit more. Bonuses would be helpful in overcoming the early Gym leaders and Galactic bosses, but not needed by the time you get to Volkner.

The Grand Underground is improved, and thankfully adds a way to find many Platinum 'mons and items, while also letting players engage with a far superior system of Pokémon encounters (traversing anywhere in Sinnoh without Repels is Hell - since the encounter system adheres to the tile system and the player doesn't, you can walk across several tiles of possible encounters at once and thus multiple your odds of a Pokémon encounter). However, I still find the system quite bland, and the Statues thing is a better concept than its execution. Until you've collected a whole heap of statues, you will run through the Underground encountering 90% of the same handful of Pokémon that dominate the overworld. And collecting statues is, well, an awfully repetitive mechanic.

When it comes to HMs, I'm really thankful they didn't keep the original system. Even Game Freak were smart enough to realize how utterly awful that stuff was. But I think the way they updated it made most HM obstacles entirely pointless. Most HM obstacles are of the "lock and key" variety, where the obstacle is "unlocked" and can be passed if you've brought the right key. However, BDSP ensures you will always have the entire key chain on hand once you obtain them for the first time. Overcoming any obstacle (apart from a few rare Strength puzzles) is a matter of walking up to it and pressing A. There is nothing else to it. So what is the point of the obstacle, then? I could still see the value of HM obstacles as "gates" the player can't pass until they've reached the right point in the game. However, random obstacles strewn across Routes and dungeons lose all value with the new system. They would have benefited massively from a makeover. All they add is a few seconds' delay of watching the text and animation play out, every time.

And here we arrive at my personal most grinding gripe with the games: "a few seconds' delay of watching the text and animation play out, every time." This is where the games are the most out of touch with any developments in game design over the past three decades. Holy frigging sheet, the Pokémon battles are a slog. There are animations and textboxes (in sequence, not simultaneously!) for so many little things that could be skipped. I don't need to watch my Pokémon hop around and be told it's awaiting my commands. After the fiftieth battle or so, I've picked up the effects of Intimidate. I don't need a separate text box to tell me a move is Super Effective when the game told me it would be Super Effective before I picked the move. The battles are bogged down by so much useless fluff that might get across some vital information to players in the beginning, but considering the amount of battles in the game they become obsolete and unwanted really fast. The battle system is in a desperate need of a makeover now. And for that matter, the same goes for HM use. I don't need a "do you want to use Rock Smash?" popup every time I walk up to a smashable rock. Or the repetitive animations and heal dialogue at Pokémon Centers. The textbox saying which Bag pocket each individual item goes into. Pokémon needs so much streamlining it's starting to become a tragic farce. Sure, it was the state of the art in 2006, but people expect more these days.

All in all, that is my stance I think. I expect more these days. BDSP is a re-issue of a 2006 game when it could have been so much more. So much better with a few simple tweaks or additions. But it's clear the developers have had zero creative freedom, players are left out of some really basic options, and the user experience is terribly outdated. The games are unpolished, which is bad in itself, but even worse considering that a polished version exists but was deliberately ignored.

The core gameplay loop of Pokémon is strong. Despite everything, it is fun to play the games overall. And because they have more content and less cutscenes, I will rate them above the absolute trainwreck that was Sword and Shield and the hand-holdy bore-fest of Sun and Moon. But they go below the original Diamond and Pearl as my new third least favourite Pokémon games. Diamond and Pearl were worse, strictly speaking, but that was in 2006. I expected more in 2021.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
This game completely made me speechless. I haven't bought it or played it but just based on whatever stuff I can find about it, it makes me wish these remakes never existed to begin with. I can honestly say I prefer hgss over bdsp and for me, that's saying a lot because I absolutely loathe the johto games

For the graphics, I really don't care about it at all. Graphics never seemed to be the focus of the pokemon games and whether they went swsh or this chibi style I really wouldn't care. So, no opinion on this

Gameplay on the other hand, I am mixed. On one hand, I really appreciate the exp share. It was one of my favorite things introduced ever. For me, pokemon games are never difficult and more along the lines of time consuming. If one understands the type chart and stats then you can pretty much beat any game. Understanding of abilities and everything else are secondary to those two. Levels are important of course but that is why the games are time consuming. You would have to spend half a day just for grinding. Exp share remedied that. I don't want to spend an entire day mindlessly killing wild pokemon. Call me lazy but pokemon ain't the only thing in my life that I have to do nor is it even the main game I play. While the exp share was great for me, the affection was complete horseshit. The npcs using items was a massive plus and got underwhelmed by bloody pixels being able to dodge attacks or have a free focus band or whatever that item is called. At least in the previous games that shit was optional. Oh, and there is a free Mew and Jirachi which I think is really dumb. All in all, the exp share and npcs were an improvement for me but the rest is just a massive regression

HMs were surprisingly well done. Everybody already appreciates this so I won't mention much about it since my opinion echos nearly everyone's about it. The other good thing that I like is the grand underground. Having more areas to search for pokemon is a godsend considering how stupid the orignial dp's pokedex was. I'm not too bothered about the lack of secret bases stuff since I never cared about those in the first place

Above all else, what really made me lose my interest in this game is the movesets of pokemon. It was leaked about a week before release and holy shit I immediately lost all interest in buying this game ever. I'm glad I didn't bother to buy a switch just yet otherwise I would have been really made. A lot of mons lost moves that they got in platinum. A prime example being Zapdos no longer having access to heat wave or Ho oh not having brave bird although every mon not having access to toxic was nice. This is made even worse when the mons don't even have access to the new moves they got in swsh

In conclusion, I'm probably not gonna buy this until they make some sort of improvements to it. When compared to oras, bdsp is a major regression in remakes. While oras didn't add stuff from emerald, at least the post game storyline and other features made up for it. Bdsp is nothing more than a regression of platinum and makes me wish these games never existed to begin with

One specific aspect of the game that disappointed me at times was the music. Gen 4 has great music all around, but I feel the remixes in BDSP often fail to capture the same feeling of the original. I don't dislike all of the tracks, far from it, but some of them can feel kind of slow and 'crowded' at the same time. The instruments lack power, like the orchestra was recorded from another room. Wearing headphones helps a lot with this though.

I had already decided not to get BDSP, as along with LGPE I did not think there was enough new going on to justify getting it, and I was not convinced with the new graphical repaint.

However my wife wanted BDSP and the ability to trade, so we got both versions for Christmas. At the same time my 5 year old son wanted his own Pokemon game so we got Let's Go Pikachu, as its one of the more basic games out there.

Playing though both games did change my perspective about them. I still don't think either are value for money, but I was much more impressed by Let's Go than I thought I would be, and more disappointed with BDSP than I expected. Let's Go may have very little content and depth, but it's visually it's probably the most polished game in the entire franchise. From the cutseems, to the following pokemon, to the character design and colour pallete it really is brilliant. It's clear a lot of effort was put into the graphics and making everything feel alive and dynamic, which goes far into making the game much more enjoyable (at least until Mewtwo is caught).

BDSP on the other hand, has probably the worst graphics in the entire franchise (when factoring in the age of the game and hardware available). The Chibi characters are fine in a low pixel world, but they are very jarring and out of place when the models created are more detailed. The over world colours are very bland and faded, which seems to be found even in battles. But the worst feature by far (which my wife also hates) is the blurring that occurs in caves and forests, making it easier than ever to get lost. When a game is this ugly it saps the will to play, so SP been put into hiatus for now.

After playing these two games I have found some value in the Let's Go series, as its a great gateway into the core games, while being carefully remade to bring the region of Kanto to life. I've yet to find any redeeming features to BDSP outside no HMs and getting most gen 1-4 pokemon in the game (which we were getting in the 3DS era) , it's a plastic version of Sinnoh with really bad visual effects. I won't officially call BDSP the worst game in the franchise until I have finished playing it (I lost the desire to play after the second badge!), but when you prefer DS graphics compared to the Switch then you really have botched this up. My son also thinks the BDSP world looks really weird in a bad way.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I haven’t had too much time or interest to play through BDSP since Christmas, but that’s actually not because of the games themselves. I’ll say this as many times as I have to: Sinnoh just isn’t the region for me. Or at least, not anymore. In recent years, my opinion about Diamond & Pearl has shifted dramatically in a negative direction. I’d like to see more Pokémon games produced by other developers (in this case ILCA) so I have more to compare it with, but as things stand right now, here’s how I’d grade the games in major categories.

Gameplay: 6/10 (does what it needs to but is held back by several smaller issues, such as the experience and affection mechanics to name a few. Exploration of the Sinnoh region remains virtually unchanged.)

Story: 4/10 (Pokémon is rarely a story driven game with some exceptions once in a blue moon; relative to other titles BDSP offers little to no changes to the Sinnoh formula that weren’t already in the originals)

Music: 8/10 (songs range from average to very solid on the soundfont and keep just enough of the original’s musical themes; extensive song repetition in the Sinnoh region games in general hold it back a bit)

Content: 5/10 (the Grand Underground is nice, but not nearly enough to make up for what could have been a much more complete and fleshed-out package given that a non-Game Freak team made this game)

Accessibility: 6/10 (factors such as the new visuals and the controls can be very hard to adjust to but do not hinder the gameplay too much, particularly for fans of the originals, and while general quality of life changes improve gameplay moreso than not, the player’s lack of control of what they can adjust in-game bothers me)

Total Grade: 28 out of 50 (56%, F Tier)

BDSP impressions? Sure I’ll try to do a BDSP impression.

“Hello! My name is Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. I am developed by ILCA, famed developers of the excellent Pokemon Home Application and the Domino's Pizza App featuring Hatsune Miku as advertised by Scott from Domino's Pizza. I am an incredibly faithful remake to a fault to the point where it might be more accurate to call me a remaster with some extra fluff and changes. Just because Gen 4 is so atrociously slow, I am probably still the definitive way to play through Gen 4 on official hardware and games. Crank up those major jammies too."

"I might not have that many new additions, but hey, Gen 4 still has way too much to do already. Did you go through every post game route yet little man? Did you do the goth girl side quest? Is that little girl in the cave still lost because you only went in the earthquake route? Did you get Heatran? Did you beat Cynthia and get her fancy sticker? Be sure to do all those things too!"

"Hey wait what are you doing? Why are you pressing ZL and ZR so f̸̥̓ä̶̯s̸̬͘ţ̵͐-̴̼̐"

"̸O̷h̴ ̴g̷o̶d̸ ̵w̷h̵a̷t̵'̵s̵ ̶h̶a̴p̸p̴e̵n̵i̴n̸g̶,̷ ̷I̷'̷m̴ ̶s̸o̵ ̵c̶o̷n̸f̶u̵s̶e̸d̵.̷ ̶W̶h̵y̶ ̴a̵r̷e̸ ̵y̷o̷u̸ ̸m̸o̸v̷i̶n̶g̷ ̶a̷r̴o̵u̸n̵d̷ ̴w̶h̸i̸l̸e̶ ̸t̷h̸e̴ ̵m̴e̵n̴u̶ ̸i̵s̸ ̸o̵p̶e̴n̸!̷?̵ ̷H̸o̴w̴ ̵a̷r̸e̴ ̴y̸o̶u̸ ̶i̶n̶ ̴a̷ ̸b̶a̶t̶t̴l̶e̶ ̷w̶-̸W̴o̴u̷l̸d̵ ̴y̶o̶u̶ ̷l̶i̵k̵e̸ ̷t̸o̸ ̸g̶i̷v̵e̵ ̸t̷h̵i̵s̷ ̵P̸o̸k̷e̸m̸o̴n̶ ̸a̴n̴ ̸I̵t̴e̴m̵?̴-̴i̶t̵h̴ ̸t̸h̷e̵ ̸m̷e̵n̶u̴ ̴o̴p̷e̴n̵?̸ ̶Y̸o̶u̴ ̴g̴a̸-̸P̸L̷A̶Y̵E̴R̶ ̶p̴u̵t̵ ̸t̵h̶e̴ ̷A̶b̷i̴l̷i̷t̵y̵ ̵P̶a̴t̷c̶h̶ ̶b̷a̷c̷k̶ ̵i̵n̶ ̸t̴h̵e̶ ̷B̷a̵g̵-̴v̸e̴ ̷y̷o̴u̵r̴ ̷P̵o̴k̶e̸m̵o̶n̶ ̵a̷b̶i̴l̷i̴t̷y̵ ̴p̴a̷t̶c̸h̶e̵s̵ ̸a̸n̴d̸ ̸a̵r̵e̶ ̵t̴a̴k̵i̷n̸g̷ ̸t̸h̴e̶m̵ ̸o̶f̴f̶ ̶i̵n̸ ̶t̶h̷e̸ ̸m̸i̷d̵d̵l̶e̴ ̷o̷f̸ ̵b̴a̵t̸t̶l̵e̴?̸ ̶O̷h̸ ̷g̸o̵d̵ ̴t̶h̸e̴r̴e̵'̸s̴ ̵t̴w̴o̵ ̸o̵f̷ ̸t̷h̶e̵m̴ ̵n̸o̵w̶!̸ ̶Y̶o̷u̴'̸r̵e̴ ̸f̵e̶e̸d̴i̶n̸g̴ ̷y̴o̴u̵r̶ ̵P̴o̵k̵e̶m̷o̷n̵ ̶t̶h̸a̶t̴ ̶m̵a̵n̶y̸ ̶r̴a̸r̶e̴ ̵c̶a̴n̵-̴P̶a̵l̸k̴i̶a̸ ̸g̷r̸e̶w̶ ̸t̷o̴ ̶l̵e̵v̷e̵l̸ ̷1̴0̵0̸!̴-̶d̶i̵e̵s̷?̸ ̴D̵o̷n̷'̷t̸ ̷s̸a̸v̵e̴ ̵i̶n̴ ̷t̸h̵e̵ ̵m̷i̴d̷d̶l̵e̴ ̵o̵f̵ ̸d̸o̴i̸n̴g̸ ̵t̸h̷a̷t̷ ̷a̷n̶d̵ ̸p̸r̸e̵s̶e̷r̵v̶e̵ ̸a̷l̵l̷ ̷y̵o̸u̵r̷ ̸i̵t̸e̸m̷s̶!̷ ̴D̸-̷Y̴o̵u̷ ̸e̴s̴c̵a̶p̸e̷d̴ ̸w̶i̵t̴h̶ ̸t̶h̴e̷ ̸P̵o̷k̴e̵d̸o̷l̷l̷!̸-̶o̷n̵'̴t̸ ̴u̵s̵e̵ ̷t̴h̴a̶t̵ ̸P̸o̸k̷e̴d̶o̶l̵l̵!̶ ̸D̴o̴n̵'̷t̴ ̴b̸e̸a̸t̶ ̶m̵y̵ ̸g̷a̸m̴e̷ ̸i̵n̸ ̶u̵n̸d̶e̴r̷ ̵2̵0̶ ̵m̸i̵n̵u̷t̵e̵s̶ ̴A̸̠̖̼̋͗̌̋A̷͎̩̾ͅA̶̱̥͒A̷͚͙̓A̶͖̘̘͚̾̏̚͝A̸̡̰͇̻͉̔Ã̸̞̺̠̜̥̎͐̌̚"̶

--------

This post got absolutely out of control for some reason. I'm sorry, but sunken cost fallacy is now demanding I complete this rambling monstrosity.

Before I start talking about my impression of BDSP proper, I must admit: I am a pretty lenient Pokemon fan. I'm way more tired of the constant cycle of Pokemon discourse being so doom centered than I am with the actual state of Pokemon games. I've had loads of fun with SWSH and thought Dynamax was fun to play around with in the limited scope of Battle Stadium things. I do think people have valid complaints and that they deserve to express them, but the games haven't dragged me down into total frustration yet.

Tangent: Except one. I really, really do not like LGPE. I can't stand taking ages to catch Pokemon. It's fine for kids, but I can't stand doing something that took a few button presses in older games as this elaborate time sync in a game I've played like a dozen times. I got to the Go park and stopped. I borrowed the game, so I thankfully didn't blow any cash on it. That's as much of a "I don't mindlessly anything a coporation expects me to buy" card I can present, in terms of the mainline Pokemon games. Give it the weight you will.

Gen 4 has a very special place in my heart. Diamond and Pearl were the last Pokemon games I enjoyed completely oblivious to the existence of competitive Pokemon. It was the reason I registered my first email address and started interacting with people online for battles and trades. And hey, then I discovered all that extra layering to it and my play hours went into overdrive. Between April 2007 and December 2007 I played it just about every day, battling, training, trading, all while interacting with others and making the worsts posts imaginable in the process. I hit the 999:59 cap for the first time. I can't convey enough how big it was to be able to trade with anyone all over the world, and finally have all the Pokemon from Gen 1-3 together and better than ever. This is a series mainstay now, but it blew teenaged me's mind and had me hooked. DP were some of the most hyped I've ever been for a game and it delivered with an experience twice as big as anything on the GBA.

That said... weirdly I haven't done a lot of playthroughs back through Sinnoh. I've played through HGSS all the way through like 4 times in the span of two years, but my Sinnoh playthroughs consist of my first playthrough of Pearl, my first playthrough of Platinum, and a Diamond nuzlocke I stopped doing around the Elite 4. Even though the games are 15 years old, playing through SP was only my fourth visit to Sinnoh. It's pretty odd given how foundational it's been for me to become a person participating in online Pokemon stuff.

Why is that? I have a few guesses. For one, I think the game speed might be a big factor. I honestly didn't notice it at the time, but boy, Gen 4 is atrociously slow. I'm sure I'd have noticed it after having played Gen 5. The Pokemon selection is probably another factor; even with Platinum's additions, the Gen 4 Pokedex is rough. Everything's either horrible, a complicated trade or item evolution, or something you've used already. It doesn't make contemplating a new team too exciting.

One of the biggest factor though, I feel, is that the mind blowing aspect of Gen 4, that the pokedex was no longer fractured between hoenn and kanto and that I could trade with anyone in the world, were just mainstay aspects of Pokemon from there on. Not only that, but it only really has that impact once. You don't get to experience that huge allure twice. Without that, Gen 4 becomes a lot less exciting on revisits for folks like me. You're left with some really cool level design still; Sinnoh does that incredibly well, but it feels like most of the generation's real punch has evaporated.

I think that for me a very important component of enjoying a Pokemon game I don't see talked about often is being the "lived in" generation. It's fun to have people to battle and trade with an it adds a lot to the experience. The generation I hold closest to my heart now, Gen 7, was the one I was playing consistently the most with others. Going back is fun too, but you miss so many elements of a Pokemon game when it's cold. There's no GTS, there's no GTS negotiations, there's no sharing your Eon Ticket and Mirage Islands, and I'm sure in a half decade there won't be any Friend Safaris. So much of Gen 4's appeal to me was being a hub for these experiences. When I look back at Gen 4 Sinnoh now, I don't really see a big Sinnoh adventure anymore. I feel the ghost of what once lived there still haunting the area.

I don't feel that with a lot of the surrounding games, HGSS doesn't feel that way, nor does Gen 3 or Gen 5, and I probably bred, trained, and battled more in Gen 5 than Gen 4. Everything else is a bit too early for me to gauge out that feeling.

So, how does the new Sinnoh feel with that weight on it?

With all that said... I really enjoyed Shining Pearl? Listening to the leaked music made me cry because the intro music teleported me back 16 years ago watching a shitty quality video of the JP game's intro on IGN. I took the day off from work to play through the game and I legitimately could not put it down for a solid two weeks.

The basic gameplay loop of Pokemon is incredibly strong and apparently even a pretty rushed product of one of the series' earlier games got me good enough. What's more is I played this game almost entirely disconnected from what made Gen 4 so special to me the first time. There was no transferring old Pokemon, no wifi battling, no trading aside from one quickie. It was just the in game experience.

Past that first two weeks, that's changed a little. I feel like I'm playing now mostly to set the table for my dearest held Pokemon from Pokemon Home to come in and get spruced up with Ribbons, stats, and abilities. Everything I'm paying attention to in the game now is prepping Pokemon to hopefully move over to sword and sheild and become Gen 8 Ribbon masters.

Essentially, it's been a very fun experience, but I'm not sure how much I'll revisit it in the future without a few tweaks. I think I might just have Pokemon brainrot so bad most games won't set me off.

Anyway, here's some stuff on the game I wanted to comment about:

Graphics - This game doesn't look good outside of battles. The chibi art style is fine and never really offensive, but it feels like the lowest possible bar.

Level Design - Sinnoh has some of the strongest level design in the series and it's really nice to feel after the essentially dungeonless SWSH. I think that BW1 did dungeons the absolute best since fully exploring one often meant a cool permanent TM, but the verticality and number of places to crawl through is still really cool. I still haven't gotten that girl with the pigtails out of the gible cave.

Difficulty - This game doesn't have a difficulty curve, it has a difficulty EKG. Going through the game is a mostly effortless affair for anyone with a decent amount of Pokemon experience. From the third gym on, the gym leaders EVed Pokemon make things a bit scary if you let things out of control. I enjoyed the gym leader fights, but also, I couldn't help but think that these might suck hard for anyone less experienced playing through casually. Like, the whole rest of the game essentially teaches you having a slight type advantage is enough to barrel through everything and then you have fast Pokemon with coverage and everything. The level 60 something houndoom you trained just got smashed by a Heracross easily. How are you supposed to learn why this is happening when every other battle is paper easy? I couldn't beat the johto elite 4 for ages when I was a kid and I had a level 60+ Meganium. I don't know how younger kids are going to be able to stand up to this stuff now.

On Ease of Access to Competitive Pokemon - Sword and Shield is the best on ramp to multiplayer and competitive Pokemon we've ever had. It's effortless to get competitive Pokemon in that game. Literally my first battle stadium singles team had a Haxorus I caught from the static encounter in the wild area, fed vitamins, and bottle capped. Diamond and Pearl were still very cryptic about competitive Pokemon, which is obviously unacceptable today. So, how does BDSP handle it? Kind of badly! Access to super important items like Power Items, nature mints, the Destiny Knot, etc, are all gated behind BP you earn just as slowly as you did back in 2007. Then, only once you get 49 wins do you get the actual engaging battle tower fights and actual amounts of BP. This shouldn't be how things are, I feel. You should be earning like 10 BP for the lines of 7 at the start just to get you off the ground.

Platinum Additions - I'll be honest, I'm not especially disheartened these aren't present. The Battle Frontier is the biggest felt absence, but honestly, I don't really care. I think the Battle Frontier is fun if you're super enthralled in the battle tower style of planning and play, but I can't say I ever played in a facility for more than an hour or so. I would have preferred that the touch ups to the Sinnoh Dex went through, but the grand underground is a fine replacement IMO.

Glitches - Sweet Jesus, what an unexpected but very welcomed surprise. We've got the glitchiest game in the series since GSC shut its coin case. The glitches in this game add so much to the experience and I truly feel bad for those who missed out on them. I don't really care about the cloning glitches or the funky stuff to change your Pokemon into super illegal and basically hacked shiny nightmares. The resource stuff though? Sign me the fuck up. Yes I will gladly take enough Ability Patches to jump in them like freshly raked leaves. I will absolutely trade you these 48 Red Stones for 980 Rock Slide TMs. I will absolutely catch a wild pokemon, level it up with 0 rare candies 40 times, hyper train it, EV it, ability patch it, and use it in the battle tower in under 20 minutes. This shit is so awesome for cutting down getting PVP ready Pokemon to SWSH levels or better. I am truly going to miss the good times whenever I have to connect my switch back to the internet and the game sneakily updates itself. At least I'll have my ability patch pile to keep me warm.

An unspoken aspect of playing competitively on cartridge a lot in the DPP era was that external devices like an AR were almost mandatory; not to do anything that would like make a hacked Pokemon but just for simple stuff like having enough TMs to actually use your Pokemon to a decent potential. If you were trading online like me, you also needed some way to clone Pokemon just because cloning doesn't really effect legality (there's even a bad and slow cloning glitch in base DPP as is) and breeding anything competitive is agonizing pre-RNG manipulation Gen 4. I think it's kinda funny that they finally put that aspect into the game on accident lol.

Replayability - I'm not super excited to do another vanilla playthrough of BDSP, but this game gets to cheat in terms of replay value. DPP/BDSP at the moment lets you get the pokeradar and national dex as soon as your Sinnoh dex is full. If that stays a feature by the time Pokemon Home comes around, there's some major potential for cool mixed up runs. You can play through the game with Pokeradar and the national dex underground at your disposal, which is XY levels of Pokemon variety. Hell, if you want to do a shiny only playthrough, getting a Pokeradar at the start of the game seems like the easiest point of entry ever for that.

On BDSP VS Other Games - Once I'd gotten through most of the content of BDSP, I weirdly enough still had the urge for more Pokemon. I ended up replaying through Pokemon White 2 and then Leaf Green after going through Shining Pearl.

There's a pretty natural question there: Would I feel like any of these adventures were substantially better than BDSP? I ended up playing through both and the verdict is... I didn't feel like they were substantially better experiences than what I just enjoyed in BDSP.

I always had weirdly negative feelings towards White 2 because my first playthrough had a terrible in game team / lots of the post game content felt like a slog / it arrived at a not-ideal part of my life. I was interested if my old feeling would persist with this, my second playthrough ever. It was a little better, but dang, that game slows to a crawl after gym 8. All the post game areas to explore to get not a lot made me feel like I'd arrived at a Golden Coral with a full stomach. I don't know what it is that had me outright excited to get Heatran in BDSP, but had no drive to get the one in W2.

Leaf Green felt like it had a very weak early game compared to the first two, but the sheer amount of freedom after Rock Tunnel was very fun. I skipped right to Cinnabar to have an Aerodactyl for Erika and it was all a blast. The game was for sure very easy, but picking out six from the kanto dex was still a lot of fun.

And now here I am trying to sort out which one I liked the best out of all those run throughs and I still can't pick. The honeymoon effect is probably boosting BDSP a solid amount for now, so maybe in a year or so it'll be more clear a call. I think the tightest Pokemon experience in my book is for sure BW1

On What Could Have Been - Another odd take here: I was never very fond of Gen 3, and I really enjoyed my first playthrough of ORAS. I feel like it fleshed out Ruby and Sapphire more than what Emerald did. Turning Hoenn into the second coming of the mega generation felt like a fantastic fit and maybe even fits it better than X and Y. They really took the game and added an extra level of polish that I very much enjoyed sinking my teeth into.

When I look at BDSP, I see that done in precisely one area with the Grand Underground. It's hard not to wonder what these games would have been like if gamefreak was fully at the wheel and sacrificed PLA for a more by the numbers remake. I'm curious how PLA will end up playing out and if future updates to BDSP add much to the complete experience.

So, TL;DR, I haven't felt especially mad at Pokemon over the last 5 years for their game quality. This one felt like an experience with cut corners, but I still very much enjoyed it. The game has problems, but bringing an old adventure into a non-atrociously slow form with a boatload of glitches made it very fun.

I don't know why my hands had to vomit all this out but here you all go, enjoy.

I did not purchase BDSP because I anticipated that they would be far too faithful ( Remakes in general tend to me my least favorite kind of games because they are banking on the familiarity aspect to succeed so for me to purchase them they have to innovate in a way ) based on the lack of coverage, and reading these reviews make me feel glad of my decision. Yeah, there are things like customization, No HMs, Competitive movesets, and Grand Underground, but the former two don’t make the experiences that different and the latter only become significantly interesting once you have invested a significant amount of play time.

It’s disappoints me to see DP remade in this fashion, because I always envisioned seeing Sinnoh with the National Dex ( Including Megas and Z-Moves ) and the Sinnoh region with the Platinum’s additions and people enjoying Sinnoh without common complaints. Pearl was my first game, so it saddens me to see Sinnoh remade with all the glitches.

And you know what the worst part about this? They didn’t include Looker! The guy who has appeared in one game at least in once generation since Platinum with the exception of Gen 8. He’s probably the most memorable NPC in Sinnoh other than Cynthia. And yet, he’s not in the game. Now that’s sad.

At first I had no intention to get BDSP, since I'd lost interest in all games following Ultra Moon (which even then I had to force myself to play). It seemed like a by the numbers, almost cynical beat for beat remake of Diamond and Pearl, and to an extent I'd say that held true. What piqued my interest was seeing how much more difficult the Elite Four and Cynthia were in the remakes via Twitch streams. I was surprised to see them using competitively viable movesets and strategies, and that awakened something deep inside me, an old passion I hadn't felt since the original Diamond and Pearl. I ended up caving and getting Brilliant Diamond, despite me knowing it wasn't much more than DP but modernized. It did take a lot of time to finally reach the postgame and somehow get the 49 win streak in the Battle Tower to reach the Master Battles, but now that I'm there it feels oddly comforting. It doesn't change the fact I had to slog through around 20 hours of easy battles against the same 8 Pokémon species to get there, which I doubt I'd have had the patience for if I didn't have the postgame's challenge and competitive team building as motivation. I know BDSP doesn't have every Pokémon ever, but there's still almost 500 to pick from and all the trainers only have Bidoof, Bibarel, Staravia, Zubat, Geodude, Glameow and Stunky?? Come on!!

But onto the game itself: I was disappointed BDSP did only the bare minimum to update Sinnoh to modern standards, but on the other hand I very much appreciated the lack of lengthy tutorials and the story moving at a brisk pace compared to other modern Pokémon games. I very rarely replay Pokémon games after the first playthrough, and I spend most of my time in the postgame so the single player adventure was less of a priority and more like something I wanted to power through as quickly as possible. I don't remember a lot about Platinum besides the Battle Frontier, the Distortion World and adding new forms and moves for some Pokémon so I didn't really care about the absence of Platinum's features (except the Pokétch not having a back button, that's just baffling). The mandatory EXP Share and affection bonuses do trivialize some parts of the game, but they ultimately didn't bother me since I'm more interested in the battle facilities anyway. I would still prefer they make those features optional like they did in XY and SM for people that don't want to use them.

The Grand Underground is definitely the best part of the game, but the lack of ways to interact with other players online is kind of disappointing. Still, the biomes, rare Pokémon and useful items are very welcome. Thanks to the Grand Underground I found and caught Munchlax for my in-game team, which would have likely never happened if I had to use the honey tree method to get one. The Munchlax ended up evolving and becoming my MVP in the battle against Cynthia!

The graphics are passable but definitely not winning any awards. I don't mind the chibi style, but it's hard to ignore Link's Awakening pulling off the look a million times better on the same hardware. Still, I think Sword and Shield had ugly shaders, ugly textures and ugly environments so I think the simpler approach BDSP took is an improvement. That's a pretty low bar, though, and this is still a $60 game that will likely never go on sale so they should have done more to make the presentation feel like it. As for the music... I'm glad there's an option to turn it off. I was already sick of the trainer battle music going in and I didn't feel like hearing it more but in HD(d, d, d, d, d...)

BDSP could have been a lot better and done more (or literally anything) to build its own identity, but I like it enough to keep playing and it did get me back into the series. Pokémon's core gameplay is just that strong, even after over 25 years. I don't know if I'll be "back" enough to want to get Sword or Shield, but perhaps Legends Arceus or the inevitable Gen 9 games will fully revitalize my love for Pokémon.

This game fucking sucks. It’s what happens when you get a bunch of 5 year old sweat shop workers to remake the greatest generation in the franchise. I mean yh diamond and Pearl were ducking shit (let’s not convince ourselves of anything else) but platinum was a fucking masterpiece. I remember taking a shit when they were doing the direct and I saw the trailer with the build up and I was super excited and then you should’ve seen my ducking face. I went on an angry rant to my sister afterwards for like half an hour.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I haven’t had too much time or interest to play through BDSP since Christmas, but that’s actually not because of the games themselves. I’ll say this as many times as I have to: Sinnoh just isn’t the region for me. Or at least, not anymore. In recent years, my opinion about Diamond & Pearl has shifted dramatically in a negative direction. I’d like to see more Pokémon games produced by other developers (in this case ILCA) so I have more to compare it with, but as things stand right now, here’s how I’d grade the games in major categories.

Gameplay: 6/10 (does what it needs to but is held back by several smaller issues, such as the experience and affection mechanics to name a few. Exploration of the Sinnoh region remains virtually unchanged.)

Story: 4/10 (Pokémon is rarely a story driven game with some exceptions once in a blue moon; relative to other titles BDSP offers little to no changes to the Sinnoh formula that weren’t already in the originals)

Music: 8/10 (songs range from average to very solid on the soundfont and keep just enough of the original’s musical themes; extensive song repetition in the Sinnoh region games in general hold it back a bit)

Content: 5/10 (the Grand Underground is nice, but not nearly enough to make up for what could have been a much more complete and fleshed-out package given that a non-Game Freak team made this game)

Accessibility: 6/10 (factors such as the new visuals and the controls can be very hard to adjust to but do not hinder the gameplay too much, particularly for fans of the originals, and while general quality of life changes improve gameplay moreso than not, the player’s lack of control of what they can adjust in-game bothers me)

Total Grade: 28 out of 50 (56%, F Tier)
Hey there, everyone. I've had some extra time to look into these games, and if you don't mind, I'd like to adjust some of my initial judgments. aaIn my first post, I mentioned how Sinnoh isn't the region for me and how I had little to compare BDSP to on fair merits. For the most part, these points remain the same to me, at least until we potentially get more ILCA-branded Pokémon games. What I'm actually here to do is make some more statements that a few of you... might not agree with. But hey, it's the Internet, and I expect people to disagree with me.

1. First and foremost, I've actually gotten used to the art style a lot more over time. Sinnoh was one of the six regions that still used a grid-based system, so it made sense that the region wouldn't be recreated in the modern, non-grid style that regions like Alola, Galar, and Hisui were. Compared to the other remake in the grid style that's come out since then, that being Let's Go, I still prefer the latter's but respect ILCA's attempt at recreating the old fashioned top-down style as opposed to the fixed camera locks of the 3DS days. And what better way to do that than with the game's original chibi style?

2. Controversial opinion time: while these games may not have added as much returning content as previous remakes (bar Let's Go, which was a massive downgrade from the last Kanto-based adventure on the GBA in terms of content)... the other remakes didn't exactly add too much either, specifically from their third versions. Aside from HGSS's Battle Frontier which is admittedly nice and that whole thing with Suicune... what else did this game add from Crystal exactly? I don't see an Odd Egg or a wild Celebi anywhere. We see this in Emerald too (especially with a lack of event locations), and to the surprise of no one, it happened with Platinum as well. At least the 3rd Gen Kanto remakes didn't have anything TO get rid of.

3. This may or may not go in line with #2, but definitive versions aren't all they're cracked up to be. As the consumer, I've never understood why the third versions can't just be the version of the game we get from the start, as opposed to a definitive version of a game I just purchased. As much as Platinum fixes some of the original games's issues, I don't see the differences as quite significant enough to warrant visiting the same region tiwce. With remakes, however, you don't have to worry about that because we hadn't been to Sinnoh since then. I think what I'm trying to say here is that the original games's existence is actually holding BDSP back by a significant margin, and as such, we should be blaming the DS originals instead of a remake that just wants to be faithful.

Does BDSP still have some glaring issues? Certainly. I've been saying they'd wait for those updates for stuff like HOME compatibility and the Union Room until after Legends released for a while, and outside of that, I'd still look at these games as an improvement over the originals and an overall nice return to form, much more so than a convoluted game like Legends.

while these games may not have added as much returning content as previous remakes (bar Let's Go, which was a massive downgrade from the last Kanto-based adventure on the GBA in terms of content)... the other remakes didn't exactly add too much either, specifically from their third versions.
Oh, if I've mentioned that many times in discussions.

I've read so many things like "why couldn't this be like HGSS?" when HGSS, sans some extra content (which is good, I won't deny), is almost exactly the same as BDSP: flawed games covered by a coat of shiny new paint.

The only remake that tries to make noticeable differences is ORAS... and even then it's not so much.

2. Controversial opinion time: while these games may not have added as much returning content as previous remakes (bar Let's Go, which was a massive downgrade from the last Kanto-based adventure on the GBA in terms of content)... the other remakes didn't exactly add too much either, specifically from their third versions. Aside from HGSS's Battle Frontier which is admittedly nice and that whole thing with Suicune... what else did this game add from Crystal exactly? I don't see an Odd Egg or a wild Celebi anywhere. We see this in Emerald too (especially with a lack of event locations), and to the surprise of no one, it happened with Platinum as well. At least the 3rd Gen Kanto remakes didn't have anything TO get rid of.
Well in the first place while Crystal didn't have a lot of MAJOR things, the biggest thing, the Suicune plot was brought over. So already that's the lion's share
They also kept the various little changes as well, namely:
-how you can get items from phone calls
-the extensions to the Ruins of Alph
-the legendary battle themes
-Buena's password
-I believe some of the tileset tweaks (such as for the burned tower, ice path or the radio tower) were kept as the baseline for HGSS
-I think the Burned Tower event that throws you to the basement is also from Crystal specifically
-The entire Dragon's Den event complete with Extreme Speed Dratini

There were other changes in Crystal that were here but not worht mentioning because they were series mainstays or just due to the various changes the games have to make in general. The GB Mobile area in Goldenrod isn't really needed when everywhere has wi-fi, they put the GTS in, everyone has different movesets, everyone has animated sprites, etc.

The Odd Egg isn't here is less inexplicable in Japan: it was originally something tied specifically to the gb mobile thing and was just an event thing. The localization added this is as a thing anyone could get; this wasn't kept here for who knows why.

The Celebi GS Ball event is probably the biggest thing left out, replaced with the strange timte travel event instead. Very odd, really.

So like...they actually did grab quite a bit from Crystal. ORAS not taking that much from Emerald sucked and has been called out on it, specifically because HGSS took so much from Crystal. BDSP and the Platinum thing being a recurring complaint is both because ORAS bugged people and also because Platinum has way way way way way more important and significant changes that substantially made it a better product.
3. This may or may not go in line with #2, but definitive versions aren't all they're cracked up to be. As the consumer, I've never understood why the third versions can't just be the version of the game we get from the start, as opposed to a definitive version of a game I just purchased. As much as Platinum fixes some of the original games's issues, I don't see the differences as quite significant enough to warrant visiting the same region tiwce. With remakes, however, you don't have to worry about that because we hadn't been to Sinnoh since then. I think what I'm trying to say here is that the original games's existence is actually holding BDSP back by a significant margin, and as such, we should be blaming the DS originals instead of a remake that just wants to be faithful.
The third versions are often things just not thought of for when the game was first put out. And In Platinum's case specifically, the lion's share of its changes were done because of feedback to DP from consumers.
While the practice definitely has its criticisms worth levvying the games are designed the way they are with the intent of "okay, we spent all this time making the game before, how can we improve it or change it from here"

Base DP could never be Platinum because those changes were not thought of. not to mention other things that likely affected development like learning the hardware or time constraints.

Having played this game, while I think it's good and unironically the best modern Pokémon game actually, it falls short of the "great" bar for the simple and fairly obvious point that while playing this game, there's just a constant, lingering, recurring thought that "they should have just used Platinum as the base for this game".

Seriously, that one simple fucking thing could have taken this game to the "great" tier. It still wouldn't be the GOAT since the mandatory Exp. All leads to some serious pacing issues, but it would've been quite solid nonetheless.

There's just ultimately no reason to play this game with Platinum around. BDSP fixes a lot of Sinnoh's issues, such as (your) dex variety, faster speed, and enemy AI. But doesn't fix and ultimately enhance DP to the same degree that Platinum does. Good but not great game.

Yh I just remember playing the game with my brother and sisters and we were all just thinking like I what’s the point of this? I was pointing out every 5 mins about a hidden item (oreburgh slag heap heart scale for example) and anything else regardless of size that platinum included, Better level scaling, battle frontier, move tutors, more interesting rosters, better handling of Pokemon that weren’t in diamond and Pearl…

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Having played this game, while I think it's good and unironically the best modern Pokémon game actually
To me, personally, I'd disagree on BDSP being the best modern Pokémon game especially in the wake of Legends: Arceus being a thing now. I've been having a ton of fun with PLA lately and frankly, I'd personally consider PLA to be the best Pokémon game I've played in a while (aside from BW1/2 and SM/USUM for me), and miles ahead of BDSP as a game for me. I don't know if you've given PLA a shot yet if at all, but I personally felt that it truly takes the honor of the best Pokémon game I've played in recent years and by extension one of my favorite Pokémon games of all time. Granted I do understand it can be a bit polarizing and maybe a little off putting even if you're a Pokémon veteran who's used to the traditional gameplay formula because it does a looot of things differently from your traditional mainline experience, but I'd still put it leagues ahead of BDSP by a long shot. Legends: Arceus really takes the cake as the best Pokémon game in recent years imo, and I think many people would share this sentiment. Of course, it depends on what you prioritize from a Pokémon experience, and what specific things you value from your favorite Pokémon games, so I can understand if others feel differently, but not only do I like PLA a lot (and by that I mean a lot) more than BDSP, but I also felt that PLA was a much better and more proper celebration of Sinnoh than BDSP was.

------

With that digression said, I don't think I've ever talked about how I felt about BDSP here, but honestly, I don't have a whole lot to say about it other than...well, it exists. DPP are the most formative games of Pokémon for me, and some of the biggest games that defined my childhood, and so I enjoyed the nostalgia trip with BDSP. It's a fun game in the grand scheme of things, and I enjoyed going through Sinnoh again with my old team from the original Diamond reformed once more (plus a few more teammates that I rotated in and out), and it's a good game since DP is a pretty decent foundation to build off of, but that's about the most I can say about it.

I guess the main thing that I did like about BDSP was its post-game, which was pretty great. The Gym Leaders and E4/Champion having hardcore movesets was neat, albeit not that greatly executed for their initial matches, but boy the rematches are fun as hell. There are a lot of great Trainer rematches including Barry, Lucas/Dawn, the Gym Leaders, E4/Cynthia, and Morimoto which created a ton of fun post-game battles. Ramanas Park was a welcome addition combined with DPP's already great roster of legendaries to catch in the post-game (albeit having to dig up Mysterious Shards endlessly to get all the needed Slates got annoying after a while), since legendary catching is one of my favorite post-game activities to do, so that made for a fun post-game to work with.

The disappointments though...aside from everyone talking about BDSP not integrating anything from Platinum that I won't repeat, my biggest disappointments with BDSP is the nerfing of both Contests and the Grand Underground Secret Bases. Super Contests were unfortunately nerfed, and as someone who also enjoys Contests, and loved how much of a glow-up the Hoenn variants got in ORAS, it was a huge letdown to see BDSP's Contests instead be a downgrade from DPP's Super Contests. Super Contests in BDSP were simplified to be a mere rhythm game, which while not a bad thing, made Super Contests in BDSP woefully underwhelming compared to Platinum's variants. I do appreciate that they brought back the individual category Contest themes back and remixed them, at least, but the actual contests were sadly underwhelming as they were simplified to such an extent, with none of the show-off moves and acting portion: that is one of my favorite parts of the contests to let my Pokemon show off moves each round, but that wasn't even in the game! And no dress-up from DPP either. As someone who really loves Contests, the nerfing of them in BDSP was a real let down for me.

Also while I enjoy the Grand Underground, it was very clearly altered to solely focus on the Hideaways and "Wild Area" aspect, but the Secret Bases are no where near as fun as they were in the originals. Again using ORAS as a comparison, ORAS Secret Bases were really awesome and the fact that you could also access other people's Secret Bases and battle them if you wanted to (also the case in RSE), and create and customize your own little residence in a corner of the region was great, and even though DPP's Secret Bases weren't as good, they were still great to create your own custom corner, and the best part? Minigames with others with Capture the Flag! But nah, let's get rid of all that in BDSP. Secret Bases will be nothing more than a mere place to place statues of Pokemon to influence what shows up in the Hideaways. Blegh.

I guess my other big complaints is that the biggest glaring issue that stems from using DP strictly as a basis and not Platinum is that the level curve is still absolutely jank, except now in the opposite direction of original DP. The level scaling was already done so sloppily, except this time I found myself consistently severely overleveled no matter where I went, whereas in the original DP I found myself consistently severely underleveled. Also the repetitive Trainer rosters didn't change at all, and the fact that BDSP still abides by DP's stupid rule of "No normal Trainer is allowed to have the ace of a Gym Leader/E4/Champion/Cyrus", so whenever I used the Vs. Seeker, it was glaring that I still saw people using Misdreavus, Roselia, Sneasel, Monferno, etc. well into the late and post-game. Not to mention, while Sinnoh does look nice, it doesn't compare to the polish and glow-up it got in Platinum.

This game is honestly fun, but I have my letdowns with it and the biggest thing I can say about it is that the end product is inscrutable to say the least. ILCA appears to have been given creative freedom in some aspects, namely the post-game Gym Leader movesets and the Grand Underground, but absolutely zero creative freedom in many other aspects. Most of all, though, this is really just a small nostalgia trip, and if I were to talk about it as a remake (really BDSP isn't a "Sinnoh remake", PLA is the actual "Sinnoh remake", and BDSP was just a "remake of Diamond and Pearl"), I'd say it's the weakest. It doesn't add anything special to the table like FRLG, HGSS, and ORAS did, and I like HGSS and ORAS the most of the remakes because the former added loads of awesome content while the latter fleshed out the story and characters of Hoenn a lot and also added its own new things to the Hoenn experience, but BDSP doesn't really have anything on that level.

If you're new to the Sinnoh experience and this is your first time entering the Sinnoh experience, or you just want a simple nostalgia trip, then this game is probably okay to play, but otherwise if you've played DPP before and you want something new, this isn't really it, so you're better off leaving this behind and playing Legends: Arceus, as that is the true "Sinnoh remake" and a much better game as well as a proper celebration of Sinnoh.

I bought Arceus but couldn’t get into it coz it’s too different to me. Idk it looks pretty cool but I still see it as a kinda spinoff hybrid thing. You can tell people actually put their heart(gold) and soul(silver) into it though. Unlike friggin’ Pokémon Bondage Domination Sadism idk fuckin’ Penetration? Which I’m still convinced was made by a group of Chinese orphans! XD

Having played this game, while I think it's good and unironically the best modern Pokémon game actually
With USUM still being modern, I'm inclined to disagree.

As of BDSP itself, while it will be forever haunted by the "what it could have been" of Platinum's features, and that it made me realize Diamond and Pearl were a lot worse than I remembered, they are still fun games. They are really helped by the much faster pace (... outside of affection boosts) and the presence of Box Link and the modern Exp. Share. They are far from great (Sword and Shield still have it beat as the best mainline Pokémon game on the Switch, and Sword and Shield themselves are far from great as well), but at least they are fun.

And at least they are mainline Pokémon games that play like mainline Pokémon games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)