Best Video Game Music

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I quickly fell in love with Crush 40 after learning that they're responsible for the main theme to nearly all every single 3D sonic game.

Open Your Heart
Live and Learn
What I'm Made Of
I Am All of Me
Never Turn Back
All Hail Shadow

And while Crush 40 has a special place in my heart, great things can be said for just about anything written for Sonic games.

It Doesn't Matter
E.G.G.M.A.N.
This Machine
His World
Dreams of an Absolution
Endless Possibilities

Beyond Sonic, I'd have to go with Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori, best known for their work in the Halo series, along with the fact that they're creating the score for Bungie's next game alongside Paul McCartney.

Rock Anthem for Saving the World
Mjolnir Mix
Behold A Pale Horse
One Final Effort
Winter Contingency
Tip of the Spear

I listen to a shitload of video game music so here's just a few pieces that I've been listening to over the last two days or so.

Dancing Mad (Final Fantasy VI) (Best part begins at 11:33)
[youtube]JbXVNKtmWnc[/youtube]
Dark Messenger (Final Fantasy IX)
[youtube]ghSi6_hbpo8[/youtube]
Grand Cross (Final Fantasy IX)
[youtube]6VnZLp3qjpc[/youtube]
Puppet Master (Advance Wars: Days of Ruin)
[youtube]WGBqbxjR2vs[/youtube]
For Endless Fight (Megaman Zero)
[youtube]YmXUg6wGSro[/youtube]
Departure (Megaman Zero 2)
[youtube]PxbEoUAqtAs[/youtube]
Supreme Ruler (Megaman Zero 2)
[youtube]PKYCyDiS9ZU[/youtube]
Straight Ahead (Megaman Zero 4)
[youtube]41bsA919TtM[/youtube]

The Megaman Zero series has some pretty great music as a whole but I hate the Mythos remixes and keep running into them when I'm looking for the original versions and it's really annoying :/

For Endless Fight is especially poignant. The scene where it starts playing accompanied by this image

is extremely powerful and touching, and probably the most significant scene in the first game. Doesn't hurt that Zero hands out one of his rare-but-awesome badass speeches while this is playing.

Departure just gives me goosebumps though because goddamn what a theme to open up a game on.

yo capefeather i am thoroughly delighted to see someone give the old gb final fantasy spinoffs some due love but you missed THE MOTHERFUCKING TALON THEME. i might have wholeheartedly agreed with you on dark lord's battle theme but because of this song's existence i am torn.

Gah you're right, I did forget to mention the Talon theme D: (Also they're not spinoffs; the "Final Fantasy" title was given to the localizations for brand recognition purposes. Still Square games but Square has made lots of RPGs and it would be silly to call them all Final Fantasy, y'know? Final Fantasy Adventure a.k.a. Sword of Mana *was* originally meant as a spin-off, though (hence the appearances of Black Mages and Ninjas and such).)

Wow, this is actually a really interesting thread idea!

Have to agree with Tobes on Dancing Mad, the whole piece is absolutely amazing throughout. I'm surprised you didn't bring up One Winged Angel, but considering that you're apparently a Kefka fan, perhaps you didn't want to...

Oh no, I adore One Winged Angel (especially the Advent Children remix). I just haven't listened to it in the last two days :P

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
verbatim - painfully lacking in So Much More by Bentley Jones and Reach for the Stars from Sonic Colors

Speaking of Sonic, I'm just gonna dump a fuckton of Classic Sonic tunes here. They are near impossible to dislike.

[youtube]NoVY7nvcel0[/youtube][youtube]vKUcIaGvSmw[/youtube]
[youtube]GZH1o8N9PXU[/youtube][youtube]gDbBMh71J38[/youtube]
[youtube]Pwz_EVYRTM4[/youtube][youtube]-CMJxF3MlNQ[/youtube]
[youtube]UcYTD9Uhato[/youtube][youtube]Nn2y3yBRFXo[/youtube]
[youtube]Mf7-ixllcgo[/youtube][youtube]KV-BvUDHH6o[/youtube]
[youtube]qJRosZzB_a8[/youtube][youtube]v5FW0gXNkco[/youtube]

verbatim is actually painfully lacking in A LOT more sonic music.

and so i don't make a useless post...

Scott Pilgrim vs the World has an excellent soundtrack.
[youtube]9WM2QfuaT4c[/youtube]

Agh and why the fuck not i'll do a Sonic dump.

[youtube]VoT3wuYod5M[/youtube][youtube]xNh-jNmKWfY[/youtube][youtube]EYUmRWmNtmc[/youtube][youtube]_kTBbTSjZpI[/youtube][youtube]cZjSrW4p7r8[/youtube][youtube]DbLTQOC8Np0[/youtube][youtube]m3m9UPrQBxs[/youtube][youtube]iP5VzAc3i-A[/youtube]

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
verbatim - painfully lacking in So Much More by Bentley Jones and Reach for the Stars from Sonic Colors
I liked Reach for the Stars, but its not something I play as frequently as the other songs on my list. I have issues with how Bentley Jones directly adds his name into the lyrics of his Open Your Heart Remix (I personally prefer the K-Klub and Circuit Freq remixes), as well as the fact that I simply don't like his style.

Speaking of His World, what're your thoughts on who played it best, IIRC its been covered by Zebrahead, Crush 40, and Bentley Jones at this point, of which I'd have to give it to Zebrahead, which is interesting considering I usually rate Crush 40 remixes over the originals (Free/Un-Gravity/With Me/Seven Rings in Hand/All Hail Shadow/etc).

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Alright I might as well dump some stuff here too. I'd post the videos directly but that sounds like it would be too large a post.

Pokemon
HGSS Champ Theme
RSE Gym Theme
BW Emotion REMIX
GSC End Theme
RBY/GSC Trainer Theme Mix
RSE End Theme

I've listened to more than half of these while playing, the ending themes are just really nice lol.

Not Pokemon
Metal Gear Solid- The Best Is Yet To Come
Metal Gear Solid 3- Way to Fall
Metal Gear Solid 3- Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid:Peace Walker- Heaven's Divide
Chrono Trigger- Frog's Theme
Chrono Trigger- Battle Theme
Chrono Trigger- Peaceful Days
Donkey Kong Country- King K. Rool's Theme
Super Smash Bros. Brawl- Ocarina of Time Medley
Legend of Zelda:Skyward Sword- Main Theme
Dragon Ball Z Budokai- Challenger's Theme

I might've missed it but I'm pretty surprised I didn't notice anyone post Frog's Theme or Snake Eater. Skyward Sword's main theme is so great, it fuckin blew my mind when I heard it backwards.

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I quickly fell in love with Crush 40 after learning that they're responsible for the main theme to nearly all every single 3D sonic game.

Open Your Heart
Live and Learn
What I'm Made Of
I Am All of Me
Never Turn Back
All Hail Shadow

And while Crush 40 has a special place in my heart, great things can be said for just about anything written for Sonic games.

It Doesn't Matter
E.G.G.M.A.N.
This Machine
His World
Dreams of an Absolution
Endless Possibilities

Beyond Sonic, I'd have to go with Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori, best known for their work in the Halo series, along with the fact that they're creating the score for Bungie's next game alongside Paul McCartney.

Rock Anthem for Saving the World
Mjolnir Mix
Behold A Pale Horse
One Final Effort
Winter Contingency
Tip of the Spear

I can give you a hug

Knight of the Wind

My list:

If there were any other way (extended) - Soul Calibur 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SspmzrMfmF8

Vamo' Alla Flamenco (FFIX) - Black Mages

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4SSDXFB_90

Penguin cap Remix - Super Mario 64

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahfi_0CpMoc

Megaman Boss theme Remix (Epic: 4:00-5:15) - Megaman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_f2dMDQkQQ

Elite 4 beta theme - Pokemon Stadium 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i2Ai_NwzbQ

Team Rocket Hideout Remix - Pokemon GSC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjrG5yK_hA

Storm Eagle Theme Remix - Megaman X

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga0VVuqx6Rs

Chaos Laboratory - Bloody Roar Primar Fury/Extreme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vem_0yTctA4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)