Suspect BH8 Suspect #4 - Intrepid Sword - Voter ID and Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
1584121955690.png
What?
Based on community discussion, the BH Council is beginning a suspect on Intrepid Sword. To clarify, if the vote results in a ban on Intrepid Sword, Zacian-Crowned will still be accessible via Zacian @ Rusted Sword in the teambuiler.

Why?
Intrepid Sword is by far the premier ability for physically offensive breakers. A guaranteed +1 in Attack upon entering battle makes users immediately threatening and can force specific measures of counterplay, namely Fur Coat, to be used on every team.
  • Intrepid Sword gives the user a +1 boost in Attack upon entering the field, which makes it an amazing ability for physical attackers.
  • This attack boost can be combined with boosting items like Choice Band and Life Orb to reach sky-high levels of physical attack.
    • While harder to pull off effectively, Baton Pass teams can pass Intrepid Sword boosts to teammates and even stack boosts with multiple Intrepid Sword users. This can result in physical breakers that are very hard to defend against.
  • The ability Fur Coat effectively balances the attacker’s boosts and is generally the best available counterplay to Intrepid Sword users.
    • Other abilities, like Unaware, can occasionally check Intrepid Sword users but generally aren’t bulky enough to stomach Choice Band or Life Orb boosted moves like V-create and Bolt Beak.
    • Both of these abilities can also be bypassed by Sunsteel Strike and Photon Geyser, which further narrows the selection of physically defensive mons to Steel- and Water-types like Zamazenta-Crowned and Suicune.
  • Since Intrepid Sword gives the user a stat boost, other counterplay is available to deal with the stat boost like Spectral Thief, Haze, and Topsy-Turvy, all of which are commonplace in the metagame.
  • Unlike other offensive abilities (Tough Claws, Adaptability), Intrepid Sword announces itself upon entering battle, which is beneficial to the defending team as it gives them more information about the attacker’s set.
  • Due to Intrepid Sword’s mechanics, Imposter is also somewhat reliable counterplay to Intrepid Sword users because Imposter is boosted to +2 Attack upon transforming into the Intrepid Sword user.
    • This makes for a very powerful and usually much bulkier threat for the Intrepid Sword user to deal with and can potentially result in a loss of momentum for the Intrepid Sword user.
    • Imposter is not a surefire check to Intrepid Sword, though, as it can’t directly switch into powerful boosted attacks from threats like Zacian-Crowned and Zamazenta multiple times and is prone to being worn down.
How?
  • We will be using the new suspect process laid out by Zarel here (aka no COIL).
  • ***NEW PLEASE READ***The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 82 with at least 40 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.267 GXE (rounded up in table) you have above 82 GXE, down to a minimum of 25 games at a GXE of 86.
GXE Required​
Minimum # of games​
  • Do so by making a new alt with the sequence “IS” in it anywhere, but not separated.
  • The alt must have a creation date on or after November 9, 2020
gen8bh IS good (Acceptable)
Intrepid Sword suk (Unacceptable)
Where?
You must post your proof of reqs in this thread and play your games on the main pokemonshowdown.com sim.

Intrepid Sword will be allowed in the ladder for the duration of this suspect; I would recommend using it as much as you can to get a feel of how it is in the meta and have a good idea of if it is broken/unhealthy, or if it is perfectly manageable after all.
Do:
  • Post your proof of reqs and, if you wish, your stance on the matter briefly, in this thread. Read the following CAREFULLY on how to do so:
    • you MUST FIRST AND FOREMOST PROVIDE AN IMAGE OF THE ALT WITH PROOF OF OWNERSHIP. We can't stress that last part enough. Refer to these examples of how to do this: example1 example2 example3
    • If you don’t do at least the above, your vote won’t be counted. We will be very strict about this.
  • Post in this thread if you have any questions about THIS SUSPECT PROCESS.

Do NOT:
  • Post your stance on the matter in this thread without proof of requirements (This should be posted in the main thread instead)
  • Post anything in this thread unrelated to this suspect (with or without proof)

When?
This suspect period will last until November 24, 2020 (<- this link will show how much time is left) We will try to begin the voting process immediately after confirming some other details on how it will be done and posting the Voter ID Thread similar to past suspects.

GLHF!
---
TLDR?
  • 82 GXE after 40 games with a new alt (READ THE NEW REQUIREMENTS)
    • “IS” alt with image proof IN THIS THREAD
  • Intrepid Sword ALLOWED on ladder
  • DEADLINE: November 24, 2020

Tagging The Immortal to setup suspect and announcement on PS ladder games. Thank you!

Last edited:
reqs119.png

Intrepid sword: ban. Intrepid sword is way too easy to just slap on to stuff. The ladder run was remarkaby easy today, but I don't think I encountered too much serious resistance. Take this time to get your own reqs. I don't think it will stay this easy for long. Also, have a team. I've used it enough so you can now!

Xerneas @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Moonblast
- Thunder Cage
- Stealth Rock

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Core Enforcer
- Recover
- Haze

Calyrex-Shadow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Volt Switch
- Moongeist Beam
- Earth Power

Zygarde-Complete @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Ice Scales
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Core Enforcer
- Thousand Waves
- Recover
- Knock Off

Zamazenta-Crowned @ Ghost Memory
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- Anchor Shot
- Multi-Attack
- Recover
- Low Kick

Magearna @ Metronome
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Boomburst
- Rapid Spin
- Anchor Shot
- Recover

Super easy to use, just pivot around, u can break the ice scales mons that block Caly with Mage or Xern, you can also replace rocks with spikes on Xern because Steelix is annoyed more. Multiattack on zamac takes down Entrain Caly-S ohkoing, and deals 40 to Giratina. Core Enforcer on Cune lets you bonk Reshiram.

intrepidswordreqs.png

My vote on intrepid sword is going to have to be a ban. I feel like because of this ability, you are almost mandated to run fur coat mons on every team in order to stop them. Another way to stop i-sword mons is through impostor, but a well built team will have their i-sword mon impostorproofed. The fact that it is also so splashable on pretty much any physical attacker is also scary, meaning that you might need two fur coat mons to stop multiple opposing i-sword users.

Team I used to ladder

Obviously not perfect, but it was solid enough to get me reqs. Feel free to use this team :)

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
isword reqs.PNG

Likely leaning ban on this. It is a great ability to use and an annoying one to face. I've already discussed most of my feelings on it in the main BH thread, but things really get dumb when you start using multiple isword mons and/or baton passing the boosts around. This ability has a hold on the metagame.

Screen Shot 2020-11-11 at 1.26.31 PM.png

Going to vote ban as well I agree that baton passing attack boosts has been very difficult for me to deal with without PrankHaze on almost every team because there are usually slow normal types like Snorlax or Type: Null on those type of teams so it is especially hard to Spec Thief or get rid of the boost besides Hazing before they can attack. I will note that the most common user of this dynamic is Zacian-C so some of that will likely remain even if intrepid sword gets banned. I've found Pure breakers abusing BoltRend and other strong coverage with isword are very difficult to stop and I have seen some become harder to deal with when they opted for Life Orb > Choice Band so it is easier for them to break open teams without relying on prediction (which is really your only prayer if your FC mon or defensive core happen to be weak to the coverage of the isword mon).

For example, the team I used throughout this suspect happened to be fairly weak to isword Pheromosa. It was faster than my entire team, both STABs were unresisted throughout my defensive core, and it always carried Glacial Lance for my FC Zygarde. I mostly faced Banded Phero on the ladder and was able to outplay it on several occasions by bringing in an Ice-resist on Glacial Rend or my FC Zygarde on Fighting or Bug moves. However, the minute I faced Life Orb it was nearly impossible to overcome they basically clicked at what was in front of them the entire game and the additional power granted from isword high BP STABs is almost always too much for defensive mons that don't have FC or resists/immunities.

Last edited:
Can we say the requirements are 95.8% for 25 games? That 26th game was depressing
Capture d’écran de 2020-11-12 11-52-25.png

About intrepid Sword I'm not sure if it has to be banned, considering that FC is already very hard to deal with. I'll develop later if I have time.

Last edited:
I'm voting ban on intrepid sword. Honestly, I don't actually think intrepid sword is completely broken. However it's definitely the best ability for physical attackers and kinda invalidates the other abilities you might wanna run like adapt, tough claws, tinted lens, etc. I think a ban on sword will make the meta more diverse instead of everyone running prankster, sword and fur coat all the time. With that being said, I think part of the problem why sword is so strong is because of bolt beak and fishious rend. I think those two moves are worth looking into as well for a potential suspect. Now not only do you have to deal with sword, you also have to deal with a 170 base power move (in most cases) which is ridiculous. The only other moves which are on the same power level as those two are v-create and Boomburst. V-create has a huge drawback and Boomburst isn't that good right now without mray, mdiancie or arceus. Stab bolt beak from zekrom for example is stronger than supereffective pblades. Fishious Rend is so good that I'm running that instead of coverage because it hits so damn hard. Anyways I know it's a bit off topic but I think part of the reason why sword is so strong is because nowadays you can run a move with 170 base power without any drawback.

IMG_1295.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)