Biggest sports upsets?

I'd say Canada over Russia in the 1972 Summit Series qualifies as a historic sports upset.

why has no one mentioned appalachian state beating michigan?

Because those upsets happen a good 2-3 times a year. It only SEEMED to be that big an upset at the time because no one could know yet how truly shitty Michigan would be that year, which further devalued the victory. Plenty of teams have been burned the same way that Michigan has been though; karma for trying to schedule cupcakes, I suppose!

Second biggest upset- The Boston Red Sox, down 3 games to 0 and losing in the bottom of the 9th of game 4 of the 2004 ALCS, facing the best closer in the history of baseball...they come back to tie the game, win it in the 12th, then miraculously win the next three games to advance to and win the world series. The biggest comeback in sports history.

My grandpa was the biggest yankee hater on the planet. He cheered against them non stop and hated them more than he liked anything. Two hours after Boston came back and knocked them out in game 7 he died of a heart attack. So this would be the most memorable sports upset for me

I'd say Canada over Russia in the 1972 Summit Series qualifies as a historic sports upset.

?

well the upset was that Russia was highly competitive but they didnt end up winning at the end.

also what about Buster Douglas ending Tyson's reign?

How about Brawn GP in Formula 1 currently? After 2 years in the wilderness with god awful cars, and almost falling out of the sport entirely, they are managing to win races and quite possibly the championship this year.
They're not just 'managing to win races', they're utterly dominating this year' constructors championship.

Baseball:
- Colorado Rockies run
- Fresno State winning the College Baseball championship.
- Netherlands over the Domican Republic in the WBC.
Basketball:
- Warriors over the Mavericks
- George Mason's run to the Final Four
Football:
- Giants over the Patriots
Soccer:
- Tough one, but Bolivia national soccer team OUSTING Argentina 6-1. and the goals were ridiculous...
- Greece winning the Eurocup in 04
- Trinidad and Tobago in the world cup.
Hockey:
- Miracle on Ice!!!

And add the Jamaican Bobsled team too :) Cool Runnings! I might add more, but this is what I got.

Super Bowl XXXII

:'( My poor Packers.

Shhh don't let people know that actually happened.

Also, didn't poor Michigan lose to Toledo that same year as the Appalachian State game? That feels even worse to me.

oh boi, how could I forget this one?
The Uefa Champions Leaque final of 1999 is one of the biggest upsets in sports there is imo.
Manchester United beating Bayern Munchen in injury time thanks to 2 late goals of Sheringham and Solksjear, the two substitutes. Most epic ending ever. I remember Schmeichel had some amazing safes during the game as well.

Fun fact: the president of the uefa, Jonasson, was already on his way with the cup to the field but wasn't aware of Manchester United scoring during the last moments of the game, because he took a shortcut.
So when Lothar Matheus came to the stage Jonassen said: "no losers first."
Matheus said then: "We're the losers, didnt you watch??"

edit: 2nd funny moment: "What must Lothar Matheus be thinking right now?"
"With the greatest respect: Who Cares!"

France beating Brazil in the 06 World Cup

O and Boise State beating Oklahoma

EDIT: There's also UNLV being upset by Duke in 1991 and Man 'O War losing his only race (horesracing)

oh boi, how could I forget this one?
The Uefa Champions Leaque final of 1999 is one of the biggest upsets in sports there is imo.
Manchester United beating Bayern Munchen in injury time thanks to 2 late goals of Sheringham and Solksjear, the two substitutes. Most epic ending ever. I remember Schmeichel had some amazing safes during the game as well.

Fun fact: the president of the uefa, Jonasson, was already on his way with the cup to the field but wasn't aware of Manchester United scoring during the last moments of the game, because he took a shortcut.
So when Lothar Matheus came to the stage Jonassen said: "no losers first."
Matheus said then: "We're the losers, didnt you watch??"

edit: 2nd funny moment: "What must Lothar Matheus be thinking right now?"
"With the greatest respect: Who Cares!"

Yeah that was pretty epic. The trophy already had Bayern ribbons on it...

My two favorite would definitely be:

-My home country of Greece winning the EuroCup in 2004

-Greece once again shocking the world in the FIBA World Cup of Basketball, going undefeated into the finals even beating USA. (though we lost in the finals)

-SuperBowl XLII tops them all
Wild Card Giants Who barely made it to the Playoffs vs. 18-0 Patriots on the verge of making football history.
Nothing more needs be said. I am a longtime Giants fan by the way.

I think the biggest would have to be 2 years ago USC#1 rank Vs Stanford
And USC lost by that field goal.

Back