Blaziken

The SD set requires no breeding whatesoever, while the Substitute set only needs HP electric (which is rumored to be 60 base power min; getting 65+ should be difficult).

EDIT: Haze Milotic is OHKOd by +2 HJK before it can attack.

@Below. Without Blaze or a Leichi boost, that set basically minimizes Blaziken to sweeping at 25% health and lower, when it could accomplish the same at full health.

Adding to the Sub set above, due to Speed Boost you could try a psuedo Sub Petaya Empoleon.

Substitute / Swords Dance / High Jump Kick / Fire Punch or Shadow Claw

(+Defense Pinch Berry)

It requires a bit of Defense EVs, but since it should be able to pull off several speed boosts this isn't a problem. + Defense Berry paired with the defensive EVs allow you to survive Choice Band Scizor Bullet Punch without much trouble. If you can get to +2 your opponent better hope to whatever God he / she prefers that his bulky Jellyfish of choice is at high health.

Ok, its kind of a dumb set, but it could pull off some weird sweeps.

@IceyMan: Actually, outspeeding something neutral at +1 doesn't necessarily mean you will outspeed something +1 at +2, because the increases are linear and not exponential. Going from 1.5x to 2x is an increase by a factor of 1.33. I've run into this problem with +2 Jolly TTar being outsped by max speed +1 base 100s.

That said, +1 Timid Starmie has 541 Speed. +2 Adamant Blaziken has 518 Speed.

@Max: It's really just risk versus reward. You are free to leave your Fire weak pokes in on Blaziken, but the point is that Blaziken does have the capability to force things out, and can set up SD on it. I've used SD Infernape A LOT and it has the same capability. If your opponent wanted to mess with you he could fire off an attack and OHKO the mon you left in.

@IceyMan: Actually, outspeeding something neutral at +1 doesn't necessarily mean you will outspeed something +1 at +2, because the increases are linear and not exponential. Going from 1.5x to 2x is an increase by a factor of 1.33. I've run into this problem with +2 Jolly TTar being outsped by max speed +1 base 100s.

That said, +1 Timid Starmie has 541 Speed. +2 Adamant Blaziken has 518 Speed.

@Max: It's really just risk versus reward. You are free to leave your Fire weak pokes in on Blaziken, but the point is that Blaziken does have the capability to force things out, and can set up SD on it. I've used SD Infernape A LOT and it has the same capability. If your opponent wanted to mess with you he could fire off an attack and OHKO the mon you left in.
Ah, well there goes that. Eh, pair Blaze with a Pursuit user - ScarfStarmie is decidedly less threatening than LO or Specs anyway.

How well does Quagsire take a High Jump Kick? Its dreamworld ability is unaware so it could care less about switching into a sword dance and it resists fire/rock attacks so it might make a decent check.

Max/Max Impish Quagsire would take: (58.12% - 68.53%)

A pretty solid switch-in once Blaze SD's, but if it opts to scout with an attack first it could be problematic. Plus, Quagsire doesn't look like it would have much utility otherwise.

The other thing is you can barely rely on Scizor to hit it with a Banded Bullet Punch. Fake Out Technicians would be more prominent with the rise in DDers as well as this.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Maybe so, but Flygon is having to revenge it immediately otherwise it dies. Also, think of the scenario this way:

Nattorei has just switched into your Suicune.

Player1 withdrew Suicune!
Player1 sent out Blaziken!
Nattorei used Spikes!
Speed Boost raised Blaziken's speed! (it is now at +1)
I'm ALMOST sure Speed Boost wouldn't activate in this situation.

Blaziken looks pretty cool but spamming high jump kick is a lot more dangerous than than some people seem to think, if your opponent switches in a ghost that will be a lot of damage.

If they end up in the same tier giratina would be a good check/counter.

I did find it odd that you were getting Blaziken up to +2 speed a turn sooner than what I was thinking about earlier. I'm pretty sure Blaziken has to be in for the whole turn in order for speed boost to add up as well.

Well is funny how everybody are making strategies to counter blaziken when we don´t know even if we can breed the abilities, and if we can only catch them in the dream world it will be very difficult to find one torchic with what we want
Once you befriend it, you have to catch it in the real world. This means you probably can RNG for a perfect one, or SR for a decent one.

I did find it odd that you were getting Blaziken up to +2 speed a turn sooner than what I was thinking about earlier. I'm pretty sure Blaziken has to be in for the whole turn in order for speed boost to add up as well.
No, it activates at the end of each turn that the Speed Boost pokemon is in play. You can check for yourself in DPPtHGSS using Ninjask or Yanmega.

Once you befriend it, you have to catch it in the real world. This means you probably can RNG for a perfect one, or SR for a decent one.
This is good news in general; there are plenty of pokemon that will need RNGing (Speed Boost Ken, Regeneration Ho-oh, Arrogance Salamence, etc).

Something we definitely need to consider is that Candleier (my clever name for the ghost fire, get it, he's a candle and a chandelier?) is a 100% counter to this guy and traps and murders/set ups on him. I don't think he'll be too useful in the beginning stages of the metagame unless he's a baton passer.
Your 100% counter gets outsped after a speed boost and is easily OHKO'ed by stone edge.

Meh, even with Speed Boost I don't think Blaziken will be wrecking in OU as we thought it would, since Slowbro and Slowking, its premier counters, are also viable in OU (well, not really for Slowking) as utility counters to threats like Gyarados and Heatran. It will hurt offensive teams and stall teams alike, but bulky offense won't be too bothered.

Then again, Slowbro and Slowking are Pursuit-bait, so Blaziken+Tyranitar, combined with a few Earthquake resists, will probably make a really solid team.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
True although (like Infernape) LO and SS will really wear down Blaziken fast. Personaly I would try a different pursuiter (if available)

I just want to say, I think HJK is being overhyped. I have played some NU in my time, and a lot of nu players run brick break over HJK because they are tired of seeing there medicham kill itself from any ghost/protect user.

I just want to say, I think HJK is being overhyped. I have played some NU in my time, and a lot of nu players run brick break over HJK because they are tired of seeing there medicham kill itself from any ghost/protect user.
Speaking of Protect it will be great way to stop Blaziken. Just protect when you know HJK is coming and BAM you have a dead chicken.

HJK hits ghost will not let user lose HP in GBA.
But in DP it will lose.
I made a mistake.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Yeah, not too keen on the Swords Dance set. If today's OU metagame is anything to go by he'd be promptly raped by priority and the horde of super-fast scarfers (which are likely to be even more common in BW with this new DD'er and Swift Swimmers galore). I reckon Lucario would still be better in that role thanks to his resistances and Extremespeed.

My first thought was the potential of a quick wall-breaker/cleaner, like HeySup proposed earlier. Obviously theorymonning out of my ass here because I don't know a thing about the BW metagame but something like...

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Rash
60 Atk / 252 SpA / 196 Spe

- Fire Blast
- Hi Jump Kick
- Hidden Power Grass / Electric
- Stone Edge

Look familiar? Yeah, it's basically HeySup's MixKen with Speed Boost alleviating the need for Vacuum Wave. The idea would be to come in on something you threaten and use one of your high-powered STAB moves on the switch. If the opponent goes to a slow, bulky Pokemon then your STAB attacks, even resisted are likely gonna sting enough for you to follow up with one of your other moves for a KO. If the go for a fast Pokemon who resists your attacks (eg. Starmie), then Speed Boost activates and allows you to outrun him for a KO on the next turn.

Fire Blast + Hidden Power vs 252/0 Slowbro = 96.7% minimum
HJK + HJK vs 252/252+ Vaporeon = 94.4% minimum
Hidden Power Grass vs 252/0 Swampert = 105.94% minimum
HJK + Hidden Power vs 252/252 Def+ Suicune = 78.46% minimum
Fire Blast + -1 Stone Edge vs 252/0 Gyarados = 78.68% minimum

So that's 5 of the toughest bulky waters on the game all getting obliterated on the switch in unboosted. And no, this doesn't require telepathic prediction skills, you're simply leading with a STAB move everytime.

As impressive as those calculations are, they don't really take advantage of Speed Boost as Blaziken already outruns those 5 Pokemon. Offensive teams might try to get the jump on 'Ken by going to their Salamence or the Garchomp etc. Sorry pal, not gonna work.

-Fire Blast + -1 Stone Edge vs 4/0 Salamence = 100.61% minimum
HJK + HJK vs 4/0 Garchomp = 120.34% minimum
HJK + Hidden Power vs 160/0 Starmie = 115.94% minimum

This is a very difficult set to switch into. I'm struggling to think of a safe switch in. Slowking and Tentacruel perhaps (although they're taking heavy damage from two HJK's)? The EVs outrun Jolly Tyranitar before a boost and outspeed max Spe Starmie/Azelf/Raikou after a boost. You can tweak the Spe to suit your designs but I wanted to squeeze enough Atk EVs in to get the most out of Blaziken's new toy, Hi Jump Kick.

Perhaps the most appealing aspect of this set is the fact that it brings two roles to any team. It can function as a high powered wall-breaker against stall teams or as a powerful late game cleaner vs balanced or offensive teams.

[mod abuse]manav95, if you don't mind, I'm going to edit this post into your OP over your current mixed set of Fire Blast/HJK/Shadow Claw/HP Ice, I feel this one is more effective and don't want it getting bumped off the page in a few more posts, thanks! [/mod abuse]

Yeah, not too keen on the Swords Dance set. If today's OU metagame is anything to go by he'd be promptly raped by priority and the horde of super-fast scarfers (which are likely to be even more common in BW with this new DD'er and Swift Swimmers galore). I reckon Lucario would still be better in that role thanks to his resistances and Extremespeed.

My first thought was the potential of a quick wall-breaker/cleaner, like HeySup proposed earlier. Obviously theorymonning out of my ass here because I don't know a thing about the BW metagame but something like...

Blaziken @ Life Orb
Rash
60 Atk / 252 SpA / 196 Spe

- Fire Blast
- Hi Jump Kick
- Hidden Power Grass / Electric
- Stone Edge

Look familiar? Yeah, it's basically HeySup's MixKen with Speed Boost alleviating the need for Vacuum Wave. The idea would be to come in on something you threaten and use one of your high-powered STAB moves on the switch. If the opponent goes to a slow, bulky Pokemon then your STAB attacks, even resisted are likely gonna sting enough for you to follow up with one of your other moves for a KO. If the go for a fast Pokemon who resists your attacks (eg. Starmie), then Speed Boost activates and allows you to outrun him for a KO on the next turn.

Fire Blast + Hidden Power vs 252/0 Slowbro = 96.7% minimum
HJK + HJK vs 252/252+ Vaporeon = 94.4% minimum
Hidden Power Grass vs 252/0 Swampert = 105.94% minimum
HJK + Hidden Power vs 252/252 Def+ Suicune = 78.46% minimum
Fire Blast + -1 Stone Edge vs 252/0 Gyarados = 78.68% minimum

So that's 5 of the toughest bulky waters on the game all getting obliterated on the switch in unboosted. And no, this doesn't require telepathic prediction skills, you're simply leading with a STAB move everytime.

As impressive as those calculations are, they don't really take advantage of Speed Boost as Blaziken already outruns those 5 Pokemon. Offensive teams might try to get the jump on 'Ken by going to their Salamence or the Garchomp etc. Sorry pal, not gonna work.

-Fire Blast + -1 Stone Edge vs 4/0 Salamence = 100.61% minimum
HJK + HJK vs 4/0 Garchomp = 120.34% minimum
HJK + Hidden Power vs 160/0 Starmie = 115.94% minimum

This is a very difficult set to switch into. I'm struggling to think of a safe switch in. Slowking and Tentacruel perhaps (although they're taking heavy damage from two HJK's)? The EVs outrun Jolly Tyranitar before a boost and outspeed max Spe Starmie/Azelf/Raikou after a boost. You can tweak the Spe to suit your designs but I wanted to squeeze enough Atk EVs in to get the most out of Blaziken's new toy, Hi Jump Kick.

Perhaps the most appealing aspect of this set is the fact that it brings two roles to any team. It can function as a high powered wall-breaker against stall teams or as a powerful late game cleaner vs balanced or offensive teams.

[mod abuse]manav95, if you don't mind, I'm going to edit this post into your OP over your current mixed set of Fire Blast/HJK/Shadow Claw/HP Ice, I feel this one is more effective and don't want it getting bumped off the page in a few more posts, thanks! [/mod abuse]
Not to tarnish your shine Lee, but, vappy protects on the second hjk and you kill yourself (or maim yourself). Also the chance with chomp sand veil hax is too great imo.

But other than that, the clacs look convincing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)