SPOILERS! Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl Data Dumps

I feel like the exp share will still put you ahead of the level curve. What we've been seeing is playthroughs of people rushing through the game to find more stuff so we are getting a distorted view here; they're not going out of their way to take their time, explore side content not specific to what they want to find out etc. They're essentially doing mini-speedruns rather than normal playthroughs

I actually mathed this out recently. The average dumb kid's Empoleon eats Garchomp's ass in classic DP because Earthquake doesn't OHKO. Unless Empoleon has a -Def nature or zero EVs in HP for some reason, it's a sure thing at equal level. Never mind that average dumb kid's Empoleon is at least Lv. 70 and randomly EV'd from carrying him the whole game, thus automatically capable of stomaching EQ from a 31 Atk Lv. 66 Garchomp. According to Werster's tables, that Garchomp is also Timid. That pushes the bulk check even lower.

Lvl 66 0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. Lvl 70 84 HP / 84 Def Empoleon: 174-206 (74.3 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Lvl 66 0- Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. Lvl 62 84 HP / 84 Def Empoleon: 174-206 (83.6 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Empoleon was never losing before. Nor was Cynthia ever tough.

BDSP gives Garchomp some massive buffs: (1) Jolly nature, (2) Yache Berry, and (3) 252 Atk EVs. I want to make it abundantly clear: BDSP Garchomp is a completely different beast from its predecessor. This thing actually has what it takes to tangle with an Empoleon above its weight class. Even though its level is unchanged, its Attack stat has gone up by 61 points.

Lvl 66 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. Lvl 72 84 HP / 84 Def Empoleon: 204-240 (85 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
Lvl 66 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. Lvl 60 252 HP / 252+ Def Empoleon: 186-222 (81.9 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Lvl 66 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. Lvl 89 0 HP / 0- Def Empoleon: 236-282 (85.5 - 102.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
Lvl 75 84 SpA Empoleon Ice Beam vs. Lvl 66 52 HP / 0 SpD Yache Berry Garchomp: 152-180 (61.5 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Lvl 75 252+ SpA Empoleon Ice Beam vs. Lvl 66 52 HP / 0 SpD Yache Berry Garchomp: 192-226 (77.7 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Lvl 75 252+ SpA Empoleon Blizzard vs. Lvl 66 52 HP / 0 SpD Yache Berry Garchomp: 234-276 (94.7 - 111.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

It's not a pretty sight. Empoleon needs some serious bulk investment to survive. With evenly distributed EVs and a neutral nature, Empoleon can be OHKO'd by new Garchomp up to Lv. 72. Even at Lv. 75 with maximum SpA, Empoleon cannot win with Ice Beam—only Blizzard. ILCA actually did gimp Empoleon in this battle. Whereas in classic DP it could reliably tank an EQ and counterattack with an Ice-type move for the win, it cannot do the same in BDSP without a real bulk advantage and a lucky critical hit. In fact, the best move now is to enter Torrent range and speak a prayer over Hydro Pump and its 4/5 hit rate. New Garchomp is a devil, and I hold the memes responsible for it being this way.
I think Garchomp is pretty overblown, Manaphy is a pretty safe bet. It's neutral to EQ and 100/100 bulk is much better than Empoleon's 84/88, and Tail Glow + IB should OHKO thru Yache.

Judging by that one battle, Cynthia, at least, probably just evens out to "approximately the same difficulty"

DP: She has tough, bulky pokemon, at a high level, the Garchomp is a terror
BDSP: She has tough, bulky pokemon, with high internals and held items, the Garchomp is a terror

That video was honestly very similar to my first playthrough.

That said I don't think the same thinking will necessarily apply to the rest of the e4 or other leaders....a lot of the time it really does come down to the pokemon. 3/5ths of Aaron's team is absolutely nothing, his Heracross & Drapion will last longer & deal more damage no matter the context just because they're generally better Pokemon at a base level.

Maylene might have cool synergy, but Meditite isnt super fast and is very frail and both it & Machoke will die very quickly (in fact the "speed run" first leaker, where staravia didnt even have affeciton boosts, literally killed both like 1 wing attack each). Lucario, meanwhile, has a more "difficult" typing to deal with and better stats: bulk up or no, evs or otherwise, it's going to do better and be a greater difficulty to fight at.

I really don't want to undersell how neat the boss sets are, how there's attempts to do things there, of course. But as time goes on I do get the feeling people are kind of overselling it.

Actually it's Magikarp/Gyarados, level 100, catchable by fishing in Nature Preserve.
A really intresting list BTW :)
Ah, you're right! I completely forgot the Nature PReserve also had that gimmick.

Does anyone know exactly how Underground NPCs work in this game? Are they daily spawns, are they in fixed locations, is there a set number of them or does it vary, etc? I ask because Spiritomb was the one mon I was really looking at using in this game (other than Porygon-Z, RIP) since I was hoping the Grand Underground being online would make getting it easier, but then they went and changed how you summon the damn thing. Really hoping I can use it before the postgame, but if I can't, I have some workarounds lined up.
Anyway, since people were posting these a few pages back, I figured I'd share the team I'm looking at currently based on what we know so far:
team.PNG

The theme here is "mons I've always kind of wanted to use, but haven't". I was originally thinking of grabbing a starter other than Chimchar since I kind of always pick him, but my other team picks don't let me pick either of the other two without some type overlap and I don't love the other Fire or Fighting options in this game anyway, so Infernape it is, then. Cranidos has always been one of my favorites since seeing Roark's in the anime as a kid, and I think making a Pokemon with Rampardos's stats work could be really fun. Mamoswine I've technically used once before in UM, but the appeal of having an Ice-type before the last stretch of the game for once was just too good for me not to use him here. Electivire I always thought was really cool, and since I know at least one of my friends is picking up Shining Pearl, I'll have someone to trade with for the evo. (Grinding Elekids for the Electirizer might not be fun, though.) Bronzong pretty much exists to prop up Rampardos with Dual Screens and Trick Room support (and is also a conveniently perfect answer to Cynthia's PogChomp, being immune to 2/3 of its attacking moves and resisting the third). Spiritomb's my one "let me have this, please" pick, but if it doesn't pan out, I'll probably pick up a Super Luck Murkrow or something as a fallback - I'll need one anyway for that Elekid grind. The urge to use Jirachi/Manaphy is strong, but I'm holding out so far.

Last edited:
Spiritomb is postgame so yeah, I'd go with Murkrow. Bit of a shame but Honchkrow is sick and potentially earlier in this game too

Pain.
Well, this might be a blessing in disguise; if I pick up Murkrow, I'll actually have a second team member before Eterna. So that's a plus, I guess. Here's hoping someone eventually figures out a way to get Spiritomb before the postgame so I can at least use him on a repeat playthrough or something!

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
There's a lot of stuff that makes me want this game and a lot of stuff that makes me want to make yet another joke about burning it because I said won't let them live down Flint until Gen 10. I decided being able to transfer to BDSP would be the single deciding factor because I wanted to finally transfer my Pokemon from Fire Red and Soul Silver to Gen 8. (and hopefully I'll be able to transfer my Gen 5 team when PL:A comes out. Also, it's hard for me not to read PL:A as Platinum.)

I'm going to use my Soul Silver team vs The Elite Four's final round! :D

I'll ask my grandma to get Brilliant Diamond for me for Christmas like I did for the original Diamond. (It was either ask grandma for Diamond so Santa have to give me a DS, or ask her for a DS so Santa could give me Diamond. I asked grandma to get the game because it's cheaper. Also, I was in fifth grade and still thought Santa was real... I'd say don't judge me, but I'd like to be judged about other things. :P)

By the way, this looks like a bad game to add the rule, "If any of Pokemon get KOed, I lose." to my playthroughs. How many people want to try facing the Elite Four and Cynthia's death sentence of a Garchomp without any healing items even between battles? I can't wait to see how high my death counter will get! >:D

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
By the way, this looks like a bad game to add the rule, "If any of Pokemon get KOed, I lose." to my playthroughs. How many people want to try facing the Elite Four and Cynthia's death sentence of a Garchomp without any healing items even between battles? I can't wait to see how high my death counter will get! >:D
Damn, hope that Bronzong was on your team, because Bronzong fans are chuckling to themselves right about now. Unless they’re not, because their Bronzor has Heatproof instead of the Levitate.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Damn, hope that Bronzong was on your team, because Bronzong fans are chuckling to themselves right about now. Unless they’re not, because their Bronzor has Heatproof instead of the Levitate.
I'm going to try to avoid using Steel types because they're way too good. Also, without TM 06 Toxic, I'm sure I'll hate it with Status Moves Only. Confuse Ray, despite its well deserved infamy, is unbelievably bad as for an only "offense." I'll probably have to rely on Toxic Spikes and switch between Torterra for his Earthquake Resist and Luxray for Intimidate.

It's starting to sink in how screwed I am...

This is good news towards the "Home will allow 2 way transfers" crowd since obviously something like this would be kind of....worthless, if it wasn't there.

Since 1.1 added all those sprites, I presume this is something they'll polish and finish up by the time the home update hits.

Maybe Feint Attack wil lwork by then!
Thanks for sharing this. It was already implied that we'll be able to move compatible Pokemon between SS and BDSP with the discovery of all of the origin symbols within the files, but there was always the chance that they were just leftover data. The discovery of this certificate really cements the likelihood that we will be able to.

Knowing this is great news for those like me who wanted an easier way to obtain Ability Patches for our older Pokemon. 200 BP is much easier to grind for than 200 Dynite Ore, especially with HOME's passive accumulation of BP over time.

On the subject of the battle tower...I may have just missed it; but does anyone have a chart of all the items and BP cost?

Edit: I am a dumbass and forgot that it was on the front page lol

Last edited:
Knowing this is great news for those like me who wanted an easier way to obtain Ability Patches for our older Pokemon. 200 BP is much easier to grind for than 200 Dynite Ore, especially with HOME's passive accumulation of BP over time.
There are discord channels where you post a Showdown Pokémon and a bot will contact you with a trade code and send you that Pokémon. Just paste a Pidgey@Ability Capsule and you can get one in like 30 seconds.

Or just hack the entire Pokémon. It doesn't really matter. Mewtwo told us all life is sacred when he literally Pokegenned his own team of clones, hacking Pokémon into existence is canon.

eb4e9cd4a09a07003832c07e2a100739.jpg

Last edited:
There are discord channels where you post a Showdown Pokémon and a bot will contact you with a trade code and send you that Pokémon. Just paste a Pidgey@Ability Capsule and you can get one in like 30 seconds.

Or just hack the entire Pokémon. It doesn't really matter. Mewtwo told us all life is sacred when he literally Pokegenned his own team of clones, hacking Pokémon into existence is canon.

View attachment 385472
Mewtwo (a Pokémon created solely for battle, realizing his error): "It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
MrHands (our peer): "Hack the Pokémon. Alter your old friends' genetics. Reinvent them solely for battle. Mewtwo said it's okay."
Mewtwo: Abstains from future mind-control, cloning, gene-splicing; assumes personal responsibility for the creatures he spawned while playing God.
MrHands: "Find a bot. Manufacture Pidgey to move goods. You can get it over with in 30 seconds."

Without making a judgment either way, I'm noticing some dissonance between the messages on the screen.

Mewtwo (a Pokémon created solely for battle, realizing his error): "It is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."
MrHands (our peer): "Hack the Pokémon. Alter your old friends' genetics. Reinvent them solely for battle. Mewtwo said it's okay."
Mewtwo: Abstains from future mind-control, cloning, gene-splicing; assumes personal responsibility for the creatures he spawned while playing God.
MrHands: "Find a bot. Manufacture Pidgey to move goods. You can get it over with in 30 seconds."

Without making a judgment either way, I'm noticing some dissonance between the messages on the screen.
I don't want to break your imagination of Mewtwo, but in the original Japanese movie, Mewtwo never actually realizes his mistakes and his only interest is fucking up humanity and murdering Mew to show he and his clones are the better versions.

The original movie is way, WAY darker than the English localization (which has several cut and rewritten parts), and doesn't actually have any particularly deep lesson it's trying to teach other than "please do not create demigods in laboratory". I do recommend looking that up, sadly I can only provide a Italian analysis but i'm sure there's english ones around as well.

I don't want to break your imagination of Mewtwo, but in the original Japanese movie, Mewtwo never actually realizes his mistakes and his only interest is fucking up humanity and murdering Mew to show he and his clones are the better versions.

The original movie is way, WAY darker than the English localization (which has several cut and rewritten parts), and doesn't actually have any particularly deep lesson it's trying to teach other than "please do not create demigods in laboratory". I do recommend looking that up, sadly I can only provide a Italian analysis but i'm sure there's english ones around as well.
I don't want to linger on this for too long, but this is just straight up... wrong? Completely.

There are heavy changes to the film's localisation, most prominently in its characterisation of Mewtwo and Mew, and you are definitely correct that it is darker... but most significantly is that Mewtwo is more sympathetic than the clear-cut villain he is in the American version; with a whole long sequence at the beginning showing his backstory cut completely. The film also very much does still have a message, but rather than the "violence is wrong" line in the localised version, it's that all forms of life are precious; underpinning Mew and Mewtwo's battle (in particular, Mew's goal in the original version was to straight up destroy Mewtwo's clones seeing them as an aberration of life; the central conflict here is between natural and artificial life, with the questions left being what constitutes life in the first place).

Mewtwo also absolutely still does what he does in the American version in the end -- he stops fighting, he flies away with the other Pokémon, and eventually when we next see him he's living with them and taking care of them and not starting up any more plots or gene splicing. The visuals alone make this obvious even without any dialogue.

I'm sorry, but... no, the original Japanese version paints Mewtwo as a more sympathetic character and has deeper meaning to it. I really don't know where you got this from

I'm sorry, but... no, the original Japanese version paints Mewtwo as a more sympathetic character and has deeper meaning to it. I really don't know where you got this from
Interesting cause the description I read is the exact opposite, with Mewtwo portrayed as a villain and who doesnt really learn anything from his mistakes. Yes he stops fighting at the end, but just cause he realizes there's no point fighting and they can coexist, without any deep meaning behind it.

I got the entire description from here if you're curious, including an analysis of the cut parts about how Mewtwo comes to be and the whole deal with the daughter of the scientist completely cut from the English version.

I am curious of where you got the other, though, as well, if you mind sharing it in DMs so we don't derail this I'll be glad to check it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)