BSS Teambuilding & Help Thread (SuMo Edition Reloaded 2.0)

After messing around with GSC and thinking about untapped potential of Umbreon, I came up with this evil core. I'd be open to teammate suggestions and I'm also considering a more phys def set for Umbreon. I'm pretty sure I don't have to explain how this one works lol, but it seems like it has potential with both stall and setup sweepers.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Def / 12 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Hex
- Perish Song

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Charm
- Moonlight / Rest
- Toxic
- Mean Look

After messing around with GSC and thinking about untapped potential of Umbreon, I came up with this evil core. I'd be open to teammate suggestions and I'm also considering a more phys def set for Umbreon. I'm pretty sure I don't have to explain how this one works lol, but it seems like it has potential with both stall and setup sweepers.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Hex
- Perish Song

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Calm Nature
- Charm
- Moonlight / Rest
- Toxic
- Mean Look
Perish Song cancerman is no news. Except for the "Using WoW instead of Hypnosis" thing that, eh, I'd rather trade away Sludge Bomb for WoW than Hypnosis. No sleep clause is a massive headache already in the metagame, and gengar's speed and destructive potential even before mega evolving only compounds it further.
As for Umbreon, he is pretty underwhelming compared to other options like Hippowdon or Empoleon that can add Yawn and Stealth Rock to the mix, especially considering you lack Foul Play and Wish wich are pretty much the only reasons to use Umbreon in the first place. Also, why you use Charm of all things? This is not GSC, you will get destroyed by Substitute sweepers REALLY FAST when using this loadout. Or use Pyukumuku that can pull the same "Trap+Toxic" combo with Block, but adds Unaware, Spite and Soak to avoid getting set up on as easily and trap steel and poison types. At the very least, run Taunt instead.

Perish Song cancerman is no news. Except for the "Using WoW instead of Hypnosis" thing that, eh, I'd rather trade away Sludge Bomb for WoW than Hypnosis. No sleep clause is a massive headache already in the metagame, and gengar's speed and destructive potential even before mega evolving only compounds it further.
As for Umbreon, he is pretty underwhelming compared to other options like Hippowdon or Empoleon that can add Yawn and Stealth Rock to the mix, especially considering you lack Foul Play and Wish wich are pretty much the only reasons to use Umbreon in the first place. Also, why you use Charm of all things? This is not GSC, you will get destroyed by Substitute sweepers REALLY FAST when using this loadout. Or use Pyukumuku that can pull the same "Trap+Toxic" combo with Block, but adds Unaware, Spite and Soak to avoid getting set up on as easily and trap steel and poison types. At the very least, run Taunt instead.
I actually wasn't aware the Pyuku also got Block, I'd probably run that instead had I known. And good call on Hypnosis over Will-o

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch

My last idea was this gyarados set, kind of using it as an anti-hippo/fat mon, especially for hippo just coming in and changing weathers, also does alright vs. greninja. Really unsure about this as this is just theory and not practice.
On the sun team that was posted earlier, gyardos was suggested - however I found that gyardos was dulled down due to waterfall damage being cut in half due to sunny day, do you have any suggestions to replace him? Or am I not supposed to use him with the sun team?

EDIT: I replaced taunt with earthquake and gyarados is a bit better. I realized that ground weakness being grass, ice, water - ice and grass are weak to fire which my sunny day boosts. Perhaps mega medicham is a decent option.

Last edited:
On the sun team that was posted earlier, gyardos was suggested - however I found that gyardos was dulled down due to waterfall damage being cut in half due to sunny day, do you have any suggestions to replace him? Or am I not supposed to use him with the sun team?

EDIT: I replaced taunt with earthquake and gyarados is a bit better. I realized that ground weakness being grass, ice, water - ice and grass are weak to fire which my sunny day boosts. Perhaps mega medicham is a decent option.
Mega Medicham might be fine, I'm not sure about it. No I didn't mean to run it with sun. If you wanted to do that, maybe a z-fly variant would be better.

Hello, I was wondering if I could get some help editing a unique status FU team. Although I'm relatively new, I do know about the typical "stall" teams so I'm trying to do more of a poision/ghost theme with more uniqueness. I definately think mega gengar is the core of this team, and I think corossion salazzle is really unique and interesting poisoning steel and other poison types. (The reverse stall?) I also tried to kinda make a team that team rocket would use (poison/dark/ghost etc)

Mimikyu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Thunder Wave

This is a curse mimikyu but I'm not sure this is the right setup. I used thunder wave for general utility but also to be used with Gengar's Hex.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Hex
- Destiny Bond

This is a bulkier hex gengar that can be used to sweep but keeps with the team of applying status/screwiness with destiny bond and will o wisp.

Salazzle @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Protect
- Flamethrower
- Substitute

The only way to give toxapex a taste of his own medicine. In BSS no one really runs heal bell... so I am wondering why salazzle isn't more used. This could be great, poisoning celesteela for example.

Hippowdon @ Figy Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Careful Nature
- Yawn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind

This is just a standard hippodown to deal with weather teams and set up stealth rock.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Taunt

This gyarados has taunt and is a great sweeper. I used him over mega salamence as I think taunt is more valuable.

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 140 HP / 116 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Fire Punch

Alolan muk keeps with the poison dark team, and although doesn't have too much status himself can surprise people with pursuit.

Please let me know how I can edit this team, including if I should take out any pokemon for other replacements. Thanks. I am thinking I need a pokemon with levitate/flying because salazzle is such earthquake bait.

I've been playing around with a weavile/naganadel core, which I'm not having the greatest success with. I think I'm still struggling with the shift from 6v6 singles OU to choosing 3 out of the team on BSS. Any tips or suggestions are SO welcome.

Naganadel @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave

The premier special sweeper with a little setup. TB instead of fire blast because I think it gives more coverage to my team. So far finding this very successful, although I haven't used nasty plot much so I'm tempted to swap it out for fire blast.

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

I actually included Ferrothorn last as it filled a few holes I needed. Yeah, I know it's SpD instead of Def, which is weird, but I'm finding some great success with it. Might swap TWave out for Sub, not sure yet.

Weavile (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Pursuit

I love weavile and had to include him. Ice shard is so nice on BSS due to landorus, salamence, dragonite, garchomp. But pursuit is working well against aegislash and a few others, knock off for coverage and low kick for those pesky steels. Overall mainly used for ice shard.

Sableye-Mega (F) @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Recover
- Knock Off

I often lead with sableye, as he shuts down quite a few tanks, as well as many of the physical sweepers in BSS. Knock off provides a nuisance and he can out stall most threats who haven't for a fairy move or a z crystal.

Slowbro-Mega (M) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Not common in BSS but I needed a bulky water type. So far limited success but not the worst. I have barely had the opportunity to use slack off as many physical threats switch to something with Tbolt or have an electric or dark move themselves. Flamethrower is lovely for surprising ferrothorns thought. Very nice to counter hippowdon.

Heatran (M) @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Solar Beam

Limited success with heatran. Walled by Rotom-H and a few others. But grassium z on solar beam has OHKOed a few mons so far, earth power works nicely for steels, flash cannon for mimikyu and a few tapus.

Please let me know your suggestions. I'm new to BSS tam-building. I guess I don't so much enjoy going for the top tier pokemon like landorus just because it's too cookie-cutter. But I'll appreciate any advice! What do you guys think?
[/IMG][/FONT]

I've been playing around with a weavile/naganadel core, which I'm not having the greatest success with. I think I'm still struggling with the shift from 6v6 singles OU to choosing 3 out of the team on BSS. Any tips or suggestions are SO welcome.

Naganadel @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Wave

The premier special sweeper with a little setup. TB instead of fire blast because I think it gives more coverage to my team. So far finding this very successful, although I haven't used nasty plot much so I'm tempted to swap it out for fire blast.

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

I actually included Ferrothorn last as it filled a few holes I needed. Yeah, I know it's SpD instead of Def, which is weird, but I'm finding some great success with it. Might swap TWave out for Sub, not sure yet.

Weavile (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Pursuit

I love weavile and had to include him. Ice shard is so nice on BSS due to landorus, salamence, dragonite, garchomp. But pursuit is working well against aegislash and a few others, knock off for coverage and low kick for those pesky steels. Overall mainly used for ice shard.

Sableye-Mega (F) @ Sablenite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect
- Recover
- Knock Off

I often lead with sableye, as he shuts down quite a few tanks, as well as many of the physical sweepers in BSS. Knock off provides a nuisance and he can out stall most threats who haven't for a fairy move or a z crystal.

Slowbro-Mega (M) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

Not common in BSS but I needed a bulky water type. So far limited success but not the worst. I have barely had the opportunity to use slack off as many physical threats switch to something with Tbolt or have an electric or dark move themselves. Flamethrower is lovely for surprising ferrothorns thought. Very nice to counter hippowdon.

Heatran (M) @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Solar Beam

Limited success with heatran. Walled by Rotom-H and a few others. But grassium z on solar beam has OHKOed a few mons so far, earth power works nicely for steels, flash cannon for mimikyu and a few tapus.

Please let me know your suggestions. I'm new to BSS tam-building. I guess I don't so much enjoy going for the top tier pokemon like landorus just because it's too cookie-cutter. But I'll appreciate any advice! What do you guys think?
[/IMG][/FONT]
Hey man, I'm unsure entirely about your team, however let me have a quick look.

When it comes to Naganadel, I'd honestly stick to the standard set. There's a good reason that fire move > electric move. The main bulky water you are going to meet (Fini) is hit harder by Sludge Wave and every non-water/fairy type is going to just die to z draco, Celesteela is hit as hard by flamethrower which also hits Ferrothorn. Tbolt is worse against every flying type (Thund, Lando, Salamence, Zapdos) except Gyarados which gets hit very hard by z-draco/draco anyways.

Ferrothorn is fine, I'd be tempted to change to 50% berry if you aren't running protect as well as this will give you more bang for your buck in a lot of games.

One change that I do think will definitely help you is Mamoswine over Weavile. It would give you a decent electric immunity as although you have ferrothorn, you still dislike thund-t and generally just performs better both vs the dragons and aegislash (aegi can just stay in on weavile and ko it or play king shield mindgames) as well as being a reliable lead.

Sableye, I guess it's fine. I'd have the attack investment in defence though and foul play > knock off probably.

Slowbro, you have a heatran naga and a sableye which all beat ferro handily and you can boost on ferro I think and ice beam anyways. You should change flamethrower for calm mind or iron defence, probably the former.

One thing you really need is a decent volcarona/zard y check, yes, you have heatran but due to your set, a bulky volcarona can actually setup on tran for infinity. I'd be tempted to put rock slide/tomb on it somewhere. Also lava plume > Heat wave due to that burn chance and 100% accuracy. If you are going for 90% accuracy but more power, might as well go for fire blast or magma storm which are better).

Last edited:
Hey man, I'm unsure entirely about your team, however let me have a quick look.

When it comes to Naganadel, I'd honestly stick to the standard set. There's a good reason that fire move > electric move. The main bulky water you are going to meet (Fini) is hit harder by Sludge Wave and every non-water/fairy type is going to just die to z draco, Celesteela is hit as hard by flamethrower which also hits Ferrothorn. Tbolt is worse against every flying type (Thund, Lando, Salamence, Zapdos) except Gyarados which gets hit very hard by z-draco/draco anyways.

Ferrothorn is fine, I'd be tempted to change to 50% berry if you aren't running protect as well as this will give you more bang for your buck in a lot of games.

One change that I do think will definitely help you is Mamoswine over Weavile. It would give you a decent electric immunity as although you have ferrothorn, you still dislike thund-t and generally just performs better both vs the dragons and aegislash (aegi can just stay in on weavile and ko it or play king shield mindgames) as well as being a reliable lead.

Sableye, I guess it's fine. I'd have the attack investment in defence though and foul play > knock off probably.

Slowbro, you have a heatran naga and a sableye which all beat ferro handily and you can boost on ferro I think and ice beam anyways. You should change flamethrower for calm mind or iron defence, probably the former.

One thing you really need is a decent volcarona/zard y check, yes, you have heatran but due to your set, a bulky volcarona can actually setup on tran for infinity. I'd be tempted to put rock slide/tomb on it somewhere. Also lava plume > Heat wave due to that burn chance and 100% accuracy. If you are going for 90% accuracy but more power, might as well go for fire blast or magma storm which are better).
Thanks so much, this was really useful insight. Completely agree with your advice - some of those things seem obvious now that you say. I think I'll change Naganadel to the standard set, get some rock coverage on heatran, cm & flamethrower on slowbro, and I'll try out the berry on ferrothorn. One thing I'm going to try and stick to is developing weavile. I know it's not smart, but I've got too much of a soft spot for it and think I'll work at making him fit in more. Aside from that, I'm considering swapping out Sableye for something else, not too sure yet, possibly zapdos as a decent sp-def tank and volt switcher. Definitely need something to tackle zard and volcarona.

Again, thanks for your comments. Super useful and I really appreciate it.

If anyones up to sitting down with me and helping me make a team, id appreciate it. ive used a lot of teams from nouthuca and honestly i dont think im good enough to grasp how these teams work. i feel if i can make a team from the ground up i can understand better what to pick and when. problem is, my teambuilding is terrible, i mean ive tried, but they never work either.

so if anyone feels up to it, thank you.

If anyones up to sitting down with me and helping me make a team, id appreciate it. ive used a lot of teams from nouthuca and honestly i dont think im good enough to grasp how these teams work. i feel if i can make a team from the ground up i can understand better what to pick and when. problem is, my teambuilding is terrible, i mean ive tried, but they never work either.

so if anyone feels up to it, thank you.
Come in the Battle spot room, i'd gladly help you out

Hi.
I've been playing pokemon for as long as I can remember. I've also been into competative battling b4, but Its been a while. But i wnna get into it again, and wnna build a team.
I feel utterly lost when it comes to building it though. Therefore Im reaching out in hope that you guys might wnna help a guy on his way, haha.
What I mean by that, is: Would some1 set up a suitable team, Maybe help describe each of the roles etc... I think with one team up and Running Im gnna get it and then it will be easier to do it again.

I have a 6 Iv, jolly Infernape that I was thinking on building around.
But dunno if his good anymore.

Thx for Reading.

Reactions: Tox
Hi.
I've been playing pokemon for as long as I can remember. I've also been into competative battling b4, but Its been a while. But i wnna get into it again, and wnna build a team.
I feel utterly lost when it comes to building it though. Therefore Im reaching out in hope that you guys might wnna help a guy on his way, haha.
What I mean by that, is: Would some1 set up a suitable team, Maybe help describe each of the roles etc... I think with one team up and Running Im gnna get it and then it will be easier to do it again.

I have a 6 Iv, jolly Infernape that I was thinking on building around.
But dunno if his good anymore.

Thx for Reading.
Howdy! Since you mentioned your ape, I take it you mean you want to play on the cart ladder? In any case, you should definitely start with Ika's wisdom and find out what direction you want to go on your team building journey. After that, you might want to hit up the giveaway forum, or ask around the battle spot showdown room or discord for anything you might need ingame to help you get on your feet.

While Gen7 BSS, as the only alive singles ladder on physical cart, is in the grand scheme of things one of the younger metas, at three years of play, there exists a vast corpus of format knowledge even outside the Japanese community (which makes up the overwhelming majority of players), something that should ease any old hand such as yourself back into the game. Just put in the time and keep asking questions as they come up.

edit: As for Infernape, it's perfectly useable in BSS, but I don't think I'm too far off point in saying that it is outclassed by other options in almost anything but a suicide lead role.

Hello everyone,I would like to ask a few quetions about team building.I want to make a team based on these Pokemons,as they complement each other well.Can you advise who else can add to the team,please?Preferably without legendary pokemons.I am quite inexperienced in team building and cannot fully understand everything that is written on the forum and guides for team buildingbecause of the language barrier.I hope you will me with your advice.Thanks a lot :)

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 228 HP / 68 Def / 212 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Guillotine

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Hello, i'm fairy new to the Online Rating battles since i just got the 3DS not long ago.

below is my current team, what could i do to improve it .

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 4 Def / 220 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Tomb
- Knock Off

Tapu Fini @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power Fire

Hello, i'm fairy new to the Online Rating battles since i just got the 3DS not long ago.

below is my current team, what could i do to improve it .

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

Salamence @ Salamencite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Return
- Earthquake
- Roost

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 4 Def / 220 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Tomb
- Knock Off

Tapu Fini @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power Fire
That's not half bad, especially considering you're new. The only thing that comes to mind that would help is adding something to help with Celesteela since 4/6 can't really dent it. (And it's a hard stop to a Mega Mence sweep).

That's not half bad, especially considering you're new. The only thing that comes to mind that would help is adding something to help with Celesteela since 4/6 can't really dent it. (And it's a hard stop to a Mega Mence sweep).
what should i replace salamence with then ? volcarona ?

what should i replace salamence with then ? volcarona ?
It really depends on where you want to go with the team. Mega Salamence itself can even work as an answer to Celesteela with the mixed set if you don't mind losing the set up sweeper win condition / finding another one like Volcarona. Another route could be running Kommo-o since Mega Gengar traps fairies for it. Porygon 2 with Discharge could even work since it has synergy with both megas. Totally up to you since you could go a lot of directions with the team.

I've barely touched BSS, but I really want to make a team with Escavalier on it. I'm thinking trick room would be the best choice, and i'm also interested in running it with Buginium-Z. So far I have the following:

Escavalier @ Buginium Z
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Drill Run
- Knock Off/Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Megahorn

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball

Mawile @ Mawilite
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang

Cresselia @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight
- Trick Room
- Lunar Dance

Last two i'm considering maybe Mimikyu and Primarina. Appreciate any advice.

So after picking this forum name years ago (when I was still a dedicated weeb) I've always meant to try and cobble together a JoJo-themed team. Since I only really play BSS (every now and again), I figured this would be the best format to try and do that. So I’m setting up a themed BSS team for fun, but I’m lacking the teambuilding to figure out what roles I’m missing in a 3v3 meta.

The theme is the Stardust Crusaders, with Lucario (Star) and Blaziken (Magician) as setup sweepers, SubToxic Thundurus (Hermit), bulky Escavalier (Chariot), a Landorus (Fool), and Serperior (Hierophant). At least, that's what I've got right now. Thundurus doesn't have to be SubToxic, I could form a VoltTurn core with Lando, but I lack the experience with BSS teambuilding to tell if that would mesh well with the other picks.

As far as I can tell, Lucario and Lando are great for each other, and both appreciate Thundurus and/or Serperior. Blaziken likes Escavalier and Thundurus/Serp. It’d be tough to make major switches since I’m restricting myself to the theme, although I’d accept Hippo as the Fool and Aegis as Chariot if need be.

I could go full-on HO with the four main mons, with Serp and Escavalier as bulky attackers. Assault Vest Escavalier easily switches into a choiced Lele, and non-specs Lele has a 3.5% chance to 2HKO with HP Fire, and while it’s really only there for the theme, dare I say it might be fun to use? Plus, Overcoat makes it a Spore switch-in, and I'm pretty sure it reliably takes out Amoonguss and Breloom. Leftovers is an option, but I heard it’s not that great in BSS. Also Z. Bug, probably?

I’m seeing a massive fire weakness with only two mons that resist fire, which is an issue. Hippo might be good there over Landorus? I’ll need something for Salamence for sure, might put Ice Punch on Luke and make sure Lando can 1v1 fire-types and Mence? I've seen Thundurus/Serperior/Lucario/Blaziken/Snorlax in BSS teams before, but they were always Japanese and I was never really sure how they all worked together.

Here's what I got so far:

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Meteor Mash
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance

Blaziken @ Firium Z/Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Serperior ?

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 100 Def / 4 SpA / 36 SpD / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect
- Thunderbolt

Landorus ?

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off?
- Pursuit

Last edited:
I've barely touched BSS, but I really want to make a team with Escavalier on it. I'm thinking trick room would be the best choice, and i'm also interested in running it with Buginium-Z. So far I have the following:

Escavalier @ Buginium Z
Brave Nature
- Drill Run
- Knock Off/Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Megahorn

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball

Mawile @ Mawilite
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang

Cresselia @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight
- Trick Room
- Lunar Dance

Last two i'm considering maybe Mimikyu and Primarina. Appreciate any advice.
What is the obsession with escavalier nowdays? Anyways, with regards to this team there is one thing I see straight away that it struggles with, regardless of the escavalier which is bad trick room matchups. Generally TR teams want to have a fast mode specifically for bad TR matchups. Something like Naganadel + Mega Gyarados is one prolific example, though I have seen stuff like Lando Gross, Lele Zam, Zard Lele etc. so there is a lot of creativity that can be put there. Your team currently puts all its eggs in one basket and I'd say that you have a bit of redundancy with porygon2 and cresselia. IMO I'd replace cresselia with mimikyu.

Regardless you need at least two pokemon that you can rely on when trick room isn't working, probably one of which needs to be a mega. Ideally something that works with P2/Mimikyu as 3rds since those are the mons you'd probably bring in a non tr matchup.

So after picking this forum name years ago (when I was still a dedicated weeb) I've always meant to try and cobble together a JoJo-themed team. Since I only really play BSS (every now and again), I figured this would be the best format to try and do that. So I’m setting up a themed BSS team for fun, but I’m lacking the teambuilding to figure out what roles I’m missing in a 3v3 meta.

The theme is the Stardust Crusaders, with Lucario (Star) and Blaziken (Magician) as setup sweepers, SubToxic Thundurus (Hermit), bulky Escavalier (Chariot), a Landorus (Fool), and Serperior (Hierophant). At least, that's what I've got right now. Thundurus doesn't have to be SubToxic, I could form a VoltTurn core with Lando, but I lack the experience with BSS teambuilding to tell if that would mesh well with the other picks.

As far as I can tell, Lucario and Lando are great for each other, and both appreciate Thundurus and/or Serperior. Blaziken likes Escavalier and Thundurus/Serp. It’d be tough to make major switches since I’m restricting myself to the theme, although I’d accept Hippo as the Fool and Aegis as Chariot if need be.

I could go full-on HO with the four main mons, with Serp and Escavalier as bulky attackers. Assault Vest Escavalier easily switches into a choiced Lele, and non-specs Lele has a 3.5% chance to 2HKO with HP Fire, and while it’s really only there for the theme, dare I say it might be fun to use? Plus, Overcoat makes it a Spore switch-in, and I'm pretty sure it reliably takes out Amoonguss and Breloom. Leftovers is an option, but I heard it’s not that great in BSS. Also Z. Bug, probably?

I’m seeing a massive fire weakness with only two mons that resist fire, which is an issue. Hippo might be good there over Landorus? I’ll need something for Salamence for sure, might put Ice Punch on Luke and make sure Lando can 1v1 fire-types and Mence? I've seen Thundurus/Serperior/Lucario/Blaziken/Snorlax in BSS teams before, but they were always Japanese and I was never really sure how they all worked together.

Here's what I got so far:

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Meteor Mash
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance

Blaziken @ Firium Z/Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Protect
- Swords Dance

Serperior ?

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 100 Def / 4 SpA / 36 SpD / 124 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect
- Thunderbolt

Landorus ?

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off?
- Pursuit
Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy with BSPL stuff and forgot to reply even though I did see it earlier. Your team doesn't really cover the meta well unfortunately for the sort of team it is you will likely need backbone which you don't really have. Yes, you really struggle to switch into any fire type (Char-X/Y, opposing Blaziken, Rotom-H) as well as Mega Salamence but it is more than that, your team doesn't quite have a backbone and Blaziken + Lucario isn't really a combination that works well due to them overlapping heavily and having near enough the same checks. You can build a theme team and that's cool, every mon except escavalier that's on your team is decent. Something like Scarf Lando-T with Sash serperior might be an idea that I would play with. The problem is that it is very difficult to both do a theme team and have it be good. With the combination of mons you have, I think you'd probably struggle after a certain point since the synergies aren't really there. One solution that might work would be to do a blazpass, which gives you a lot more freedom in teambuilding though I'd probably switch Thundurus to Thund-T in that case.

If you don't want to do that, most likely you would have to overhaul your entire team. One thing I do advise to everyone wanting to build a team in the current meta that isn't like a pure HO is to build around a core of Steel + Bulky Water. You can see this archetype in place in the vast majority of top teams in both S14 and S15. The most common ones are Tapu Fini + Aegislash/Metagross/Celesteela depending on where you want to go with your team and then add a ground type like Landorus-T or Garchomp. That will give you a decent backbone to add onto and you will have a solid core to work with no matter how the rest of your build goes.

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured it'd be something like that. I was honestly considering biting the bullet and making Aegi into Chariot, but it wouldn't do much to fix the team or shore up the Fire weakness (although Aegi would do much better than Escavalier as a Fairy check, at least). I could maybe modify the team to be pure offense with Baton Pass Blaziken, Scarf Lando, Z Thund-T, Mega Luke, Sash Lead Serp, and Weakness Policy Aegi. But that just seems like a bunch of mons thrown together, I dunno. Thanks for your time though!

Also, can someone help explain suropoke’s non-TR Gyaranadel team? Dragon-Z Naga, Mega Gyara, Hippo, Sash SD Breloom, Yawn Snorlax and SD Ghost-Z Aegislash. http://suropoke.hatenadiary.com/entry/2019/01/08/174238

I think since then he’s changed it a bit, switching Ice Punch on Lax out for Fire Punch and changing something on Aegi as well. I think it was the Z-Crystal, not sure.

From what I can see, the core is Naga and Gyara’s offensive presence and the fact that they complement each other (pre-mega ground switch-ins for Naga, post-mega Mold Breaker prevents Mimikyu shenanigans, Naga takes care of non-scarfed fairies, Gyara breaks special walls, Naga resists Electric/Grass/Fighting/Bug), Aegislash is a Fairy switch in and a wallbreaker, SD Breloom for bulky water, Snorlax and Hippo are special and physical walls respectively – but I don’t understand how it comes together. Nothing to set terrain means the team hates to see Tapu Fini, right? Is Breloom there just for her and other bulky water types? I see EQ/Yawn/Whirlwind on Hippo but couldn’t make out the last move.

Yawn on both Snorlax and Hippo makes me think you bring either depending on what your opp is more likely to bring, then you make use of yawn and whirlwind to disrupt the momentum and get an opportunity for Loom/Aegi/Gyara/Naga to set up and win?​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)