Budgetmons! (Now playable on Joim's Lab!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Krabby has the same Attack stat as Hydreigon... he's not bad for filler, but is likely more costly than other LC mons.

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
So since this meta won OMotM, what trends do you guys expect to see in the first couple of days of play?
A bunch of people running ubers and only ubers, because they think it is an auto-win, when in reality they all get owned by level 1 Aron :L

what's Budgetmons?
Budgetmons is a meta where you can use every pokémon (except Ubers). It seems relatively normal, however...
There's a twist.
The BST of every single one of your pokémon combined needs to be Equal or Lower than 2300. This way, if you want to use, say, Arceus and Palkia, your four remaining pokémon will need to have less than 400BST in total.

Is it me or does this bit contradict itself? You can't use ubers but you can use ubers?

Riolu(285)/Aron(330)/Ditto(288)/Smeargle(250)/Sableye(380) all seem like good filler, sticking below the average required. With those five pokemon, you have enough room left for Kyurem-B, and those five can function well. Smeargle can put something to sleep, play down entry hazards, and rapid spin them away for only 250BST, Riolu can destroy teams without faster priority/magic guard. If the opponent is dumb and lacks a poison, flying, steel, or poison heal, an Aron can sweep a whole team with only Endeavor and Toxic Spikes support. Sableye is great in OU and can wall most phisical attackers with priority Will-o-Wisp and Recover, alongside almost no weakness (Scrappy Fight-type moves hit it for super-effectivem but those see little use. I could also see CB Sand Rush Herdier getting some use. It has a decent 80 attack and can reach 480 speed in a sandstorm while giving you more BST to work with for your other pokemon.

Hippopotas could help Aron, getting sandstorm so the pokemon immune to toxic spikes (bar Aerodactyl, Gliscor, Gligar, Archen, Aerodactyl, Landorus, and Steels) will still fall, althogh that is bad for Riolu as it shortens Riolu's longevity. Vulpix and Snover could also see use as they give your other pokemon sun or hail respectively, to work with, while not exceeding the magic number for BST in this metagame, 383, unlike Ninetails and Abomasnow. Rain suffers because of Politoed's high 500 BST and a lack of a lower BST pokemon with Drizzle.

Note that Zweilous has too high of a BST to be a filler, although it still has a relatively low 420 BST while hitting within 90% of Kyurem-B's attack and having decent defences with Eviolite. Lairon can also be great, winning most matches 1v1, although there can't be entry hazards and it has a 430 BST, making it too high to be filler.

Note that even though they are LC pokemon, Pontya, Archen, Wailmer, Porygon, Onix, and Lickitung have over 383BST, so they will reduce the average BST of the other pokemon on your team, although I don't think any of them will be useful in this tier. Furthermore, Delcatty, Sableye, Mawile, Corsola, Spinda, Farfetched, Unown, Luvdisc, Delibird, Ditto, Smeargle and Shedinja are all fully evolved pokemon.

Also note that Pickacu has only a 300 BST and can hit 458 Attack or 436 Special Attack when holding a Light Ball, although the fact that a light ball is needed to reach those high offensive stats also means that Pickachu's 35/30/40 Defenses really hinder it as it can't hold an eviolite and those stats can't be boosted by any other hold item, so it is best. Furthermore, its only good moves are thunderbolt, signal beam, hidden power, Thunder Punch, Brick Break, ESpeed (Gen V event move), Fake Out (egg move from Gen IV onwards, incompatible with ExtremeSpeed), and Focus Punch (Gen IV TM more, incompatible with ExtremeSpeed).

Last edited:
Alakazam and Reuniclus both have less than 490 BST, so powerful psychics are still very much a possibility, especially with the high BSTs of Tyranitar, Metagross, Hydreigon and the lati-twins.

Also, Breloom. Second-lowest BST in OU after the awful Dugtrio, while still being one of the greatest threats, will make it even more popular.

After playing a couple of matches, I found that Tyrogue is quite a great filler mon. It is really really cheap costing only 210 BST but provides loads of utility.

Tyrogue (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Mach Punch
- Brick Break
- Toxic

This is the set i use. Fake out helps to activate its orb, providing much needed power for its attacks(still pretty weak though). Mach Punch acts as STAB priority to revenge kill stuff while Brick Break is the main attacking move(Hi Jump Kick is unusable for some reason). Toxic is useful for crippling defensive mons which it can't deal much damage to. The Evs are simply maximizing attack and speed since Tyrogue has no bulk at all.

While the set seems nothing special, the main thing about Tyrogue is its good matchup against many common pokes in the tier.

Against Smeargle:
252+ Atk (custom) Fake Out vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Smeargle: 51-60 (16.24 - 19.1%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ Atk Guts (custom) Mach Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Smeargle: 222-264 (70.7 - 84.07%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts (custom) Brick Break vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Smeargle: 420-494 (133.75 - 157.32%) -- guaranteed OHKO
As shown above, Tyrogue can use fake out to break smeargle's sash and OHKO it the next turn with brick break, limiting it to one layer of hazard while being immune to spore thanks to its toxic orb. Or if you want to risk, actually fake out+guts mach punch has a small chance to 2HKO Smeargle, giving it no chance to set up hazards at all.

Against Riolu:
252+ Atk Guts (custom) Fake Out vs. 248 HP / 112 Def Eviolite Riolu: 38-45 (13.42 - 15.9%) -- possible 7HKO
252+ Atk Guts (custom) Mach Punch vs. 248 HP / 112 Def Eviolite Riolu: 57-67 (20.14 - 23.67%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ Atk Guts (custom) Brick Break vs. 248 HP / 112 Def Eviolite Riolu: 103-123 (36.39 - 43.46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Riolu is quite a common threat in Budgetmons, having a possibility to shut an entire team down. Tyrogue does a great job against it thanks to fake out. While the damage output is nowhere near great, it stops is copycat roar while chipping some damage on it. The next turn when Riolu tries to roar again, Tyrogue can hit it hard with Brick Break, costing it more than half of its health to start the copycat roar again. When it is slightly weakened, Tyrogue can even KO it with a combination of fake out and mach punch. Unfortuantely,
0 Atk Riolu Drain Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (custom): 378-446 (208.83 - 246.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
If Riolu tries to attack, Tyrogue will easily be OHKOed thanks to its extreme fraility, but at least you stopped its sweep.

Tyrogue's use is far from that, strategies like FEAR, Lv1 Pain Split are handily destroyed by Tyrogue. While Tyrogue's attack is not high, many frail sweepers risk being Koed by the combination of fake out+mach punch. Pikachu takes a MINIMUM of 97% from it, Darmanitan losses half of its health if it tries to crush it with flare blitz, standard tank Zweilous takes a minimum of 58% from fake out+brick break since it is slower. These chip damage helps to weaken many sweepers thanks to the generally frail nature of this metagame. Besides, when facing non-permanent weather sweepers or trick room sweepers, fake out helps stalling out turns of sweeping as well as weakening the opposition. I've once weakened a Ludicolo with Tyrogue to the KO range of Breloom's mach punch. While Tyrogue is never a pokemon appearing in the competitive scene, it is one of the best and cheapest fillers available there for Budgetmon teams.

I prefer to use not-too-expensive heavy attackers, like CB Scizor. Since Kirlia couldn't Heal Bell for some reason and I wanted to slam in Ditto (which has 10 more BST than Kirlia), I replaced Scarf Darmanitan for Scarf Cinccino, which worked pretty well. The Scarfed fluffball spams multi-hit moves, rendering any form of FEAR completely uselessm, and it is fast enough to outspeed things like Volcarona at +1. And it has U-turn, which is nice too.

Tyrogue looks nice to give a try too, but the meta is priority-heavy which sucks. Pikachu has a similar issue though, that every team carries at least one form of priority and most priority attacks can dispatch of Pikachu easily.

However, Pikachu can absolutely demolish slower teams and that for only 300 BST.

Also, I fear Prankster more than I fear Mewtwo. Also, from my experience in facing it, Sharpedo is also a pain, though Ferroseed helps in dealing with it.

Sun teams /w Venusaur and fillers are good too, but easily punished by Ditto.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance

You see this?
This single-handedly destroys 90% of Budgetmons teams.
Ability to setup on the most common fillers (Ferroseed/Bronzor/etc) while being able to sub against lead smeargle and QD up is amazing, but the best thing about it is the fact Ditto can't transform if you use substitute!
You can easily switch on a filler, sub up, QD one or two times, and then destroy the opposing team with bug buzz+fiery dance. Seriously, use Volcarona, or something like Haxorus that can use approximately the same strategy.

I've found that Purrloin is extremely good value at 281 BST while being able to put the hurt on unprepared teams.

Purrloin @ Eviolite
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute

Using this as a lead really helps as most people don't expect you to send this in first, especially if you run a weather setter on your team (as a trap of course).
If they send out a mon with no offensive pressure, start with a sub as they usually try and status you or switch.
If they send out a mon with offensive pressure, use Twave before Swagger as then you're in maximum hax mode.

Most people assume this is filler but it is definitely not.

I can see how that Volcarona set could be devastating. Sub'd and +1 would make it basically invulnerable. I haven't used it in a hwile, but I'm guessing destiny bond is blocked by substitutes?
Also, would a FEAR Aron w/ Sand support take down that Volcarona?

That Volcarona is why I am glad to run Choice Scarf Cinccino. As well, when Sub isn't up it is very weak to Ditto.

Purrloin is very annoying to face - but everybody who knows the NU meta will be prepared for it, since they know how dangerous its evolution, Liepard, is, as well as that Purrloin can run the same sets.
Also, consider Encore instead of TWave on Purrloin.

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I've found that Purrloin is extremely good value at 281 BST while being able to put the hurt on unprepared teams.

Purrloin @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute

Using this as a lead really helps as most people don't expect you to send this in first, especially if you run a weather setter on your team (as a trap of course).
If they send out a mon with no offensive pressure, start with a sub as they usually try and status you or switch.
If they send out a mon with offensive pressure, use Twave before Swagger as then you're in maximum hax mode.

Most people assume this is filler but it is definitely not.

I can see how that Volcarona set could be devastating. Sub'd and +1 would make it basically invulnerable. I haven't used it in a hwile, but I'm guessing destiny bond is blocked by substitutes?
Also, would a FEAR Aron w/ Sand support take down that Volcarona?

If volc is behind a sub, it wins: the substitute would need to have 88HP to give Aron 11HP with shell bell (Aron at level 1 has 12 HP and shell bell restores 1/8 of the damage dealt), while Volc's sub only has 312/4=78HP with the set I posted. It would only give Aron 9-10 HP (if it's rounded down or up), meaning if Volcarona attacks and that aron breaks the sub, aron's sturdy will be broken.

If volc isn't behind a sub, it loses: if it sets up a sub, aron will just destroy it, while if it attacks, aron can just recover all of its HP thanks to the massive damage it dealt with endeavor.

Azumarill destroys so much ...
Azumarill @ Choice Band
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Superpower

Politoed @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Encore
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Surf

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Trait: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- X-Scissor

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Imposter
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP
Timid Nature
- Transform

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Grass Knot
- Agility
- Focus Blast

Cottonee @ Focus Sash
Level: 1
EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Endeavor

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Trait: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance

You see this?
This single-handedly destroys 90% of Budgetmons teams.
Ability to setup on the most common fillers (Ferroseed/Bronzor/etc) while being able to sub against lead smeargle and QD up is amazing, but the best thing about it is the fact Ditto can't transform if you use substitute!
You can easily switch on a filler, sub up, QD one or two times, and then destroy the opposing team with bug buzz+fiery dance. Seriously, use Volcarona, or something like Haxorus that can use approximately the same strategy.
I've been using that exact same set but with leftovers over lum berry. Truly a destructive force when backed up by support from Vulpix and Natu, especially since Heatran is rarely seen.

Last edited:
I had a fair bit of success with a Stored Power Sigilyph set.

It's pretty much the standard set, which really hurts opponents if they aren't prepared for it.
Since Team Preview is on, you can scout for dark types and potential threats and send it in when it gets a chance. Use Cosmic Power to boost, Psycho Shift to burn physical threats, Roost to heal and Stored Power to hurt when you're all boosted up.

The aforementioned Volcarona has no SE moves against it but Sigilyph is just a critical hit away from dying.

I'll definitely be looking into a Rock Blast Cinccino to stop Volcarona. And Stealth Rock somewhere on my team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)