CAP 12 CAP 1 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Okay after looking at the stat limits, it seems that everyone is choosing high Physical Tankiness. Whether its more physical or special is up to debate, but one thing is for sure - this thing will be BULKY.

Anyways, I'm doing a griffon that's also part superhero. With all the Fighting types in Pokemon, we need something that FIGHTS crime.

It's supposed to be a very bat-like gargoyle. Just the rough draft, looking at other artist's concepts I can tell it needs a few more design elements to make it more fighting-like. The colors are subject to change, I was going for an orange and white like scheme to prevent it from looking like a dark type the way darker colors would.

Aragornbird's is by far my favorite so far. I love the art sections of CAP the most. I have no artistic talent of my own, but I love looking at others' designs. A lot of the ideas so far seem really busy with too many parts. Aragornbird's is just so delightfully simple and fills a role yet unstudied in Pokémon designs - a superhero! I love it. I love the colors, the face, the proportions, everything. So good.

It's funny actually, when I was just a kid I came up with a Fakemon idea that I was never able to properly draw that was Fighting/Flying. It was a propellor based guy with a propellor on his head and one in place of each hand and foot. He hovered around by adjusting his arms and legs. He was very cartoony with lavish colors and an angry face. If anyone feels inspired, go for it, but I always thought it was cool. Getting punched/kicked by propellors would be brutal!

Wow. aragornbird's is insane. I feel kind of bad now that my design is so similar. It's still a bulky-ish bird, but more focused on powerful legs and kicking instead of an overall superhero theme. To me momentum=speed=strong legs.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Ok, so after some preliminary tweaks on Gargoylemon, (Henceforth referred to as Garigonus for no real reason) I came across a solid draft of him. Added bulk, removed 2nd set of wings, and added more physical presence altogether.

Thinking of possibly removing the tail though to avoid confusion with it being part Dragon, but perhaps the draconian appearance suits him well. Well, here's Garigonus:

I must say, it's only been a day and I already see some solid designs. I'm excited for this :)

I don't expect this to compete with the best designs, but I figure I would give it a shot.

The idea is based on the final bout in "The Karate Kid" (80's ver) where the hero's leg is busted up but decides to continue participating in the tournament. In the final round, he uses a crane stance to balance on his good leg, and then when his opponent attacks, he performs a move that turns everything around, thus I figured this crane pose was fitting for the concept of re-gaining momentum after it has been lost.

Yay! I've been so anxious for this CAP to open Art submissions!

Well anyway, It's a panda! It has a cloud mustache, wrists, and feets. It has small bamboo shoots for hair like thing (read: It was to boring and needed something to spice it up).
When I thought about flying type I thought of air and then clouds. When I thought of clouds, I thought of Asian things. Thus a panda. It is bulky like an Sumo wrestler for fighting and looks beefy I think. It would not so much fly as it would float and levitate, being suspended by its clouded sections! C+C appreciated. More supporting artwork to come, this was just to kinda reserve my idea.
E: Forgot, the band around his waist is supposed to echo a Sumo wrestlers belt.

Wow great designs so far everyone. Good to see that most people are being creative and not doing Blaziken and Staraptor spinoffs.
I just finished the head of my design which was the most difficult part so I hope to post soon :)

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think just about the only thing that could cause me to love Elagune's Muay Thai bird more would be a classic Muay Thai pose like one knee striking, hands held high.

One thing I am having a hard time reconciling with the current iteration of my design and the designs of a lot of others is the idea of winged arms being used for fighting. Winged arms just seem too fragile, if you try to work out some sense of anatomy it just seems to bring in too many small bones - not enough bulk for punching and too many things to maneuver quickly and fluidly. Membranes are also maybe too delicate. That leaves wings on the back or no wings at all. Hm.
have you ever been attacked by a goose or a swan? they can break ribs and limbs with their wings. do you know how much strength it takes to flap your wings to get off the ground?

Edit: a Tony Jaa based poke would be sick.
skip to 1:04:52 http://www.megavideo.com/?v=QV847MCB tony jaa dressed as a bird doing a form/dance.
MUAY THAI!

There are a lot of fantastic concepts already. O: Elagune's and Not Scicky's really stand out to me so far.

Since there are a lot of bird related concepts already done so far, I thought I might try looking at some different ways a Pokemon could fly.

This Capmon uses a morphed bone structure in combination with rapid muscle spasms to fly. The rotor-like bones are believed to have evolved from the pokemon's other set of limbs.

An alternate version uses a bladder filled with lighter-than-air gas to float.

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just a source of inspiration here.

I think the pseudo-wyverns, particularly the one above, from the monster hunter series are pretty slick in their design, and express flying / fighting pretty well. I'm not good at drawing at all though, so thought I'd just throw it out there.

Loving aragornbird's and Cartoons!'s design as always.

WIP

My friends and I were discussing CAP design ideas at school and my friend mentioned a flying monkey. So, I drew a monkey with wings and a fist-tail. Then, I thought of the flying monkeys in the Wizard of Oz, so I made the top of their head spiky to symbolise the crowns they wore. Then I just added some more general spikiness.

As Momentum is the concept, I think that the CAP should be nimble, while also being able to pack a punch

Any Comment and Critique would be appreciated

Hi,
My entry is here.
Totaly not finished yet and alot is still going to change but I just wanted to post it already to hear what yuo guy think about it
It's based on a cartoon fighting cloud, a tazmanian devil and hermes

Hope you like it :)

I love CyzirVisheen's design, AND IT AIN'T EVEN COLORED YET. :DD

Anyway, I want to know how you guys MAKE designs in the first place. Somehow, I can "draw", but I can't color well on the computer like you guys can. This got me to thinking that there MUST be a site that you guys use? Tell me tell me tell me? :)

That looks great noobiess :) My only problem with it is that the head looks a bit too much like Poliwag =P. I was going to suggest fur, but realised that would clash badly with the cloud so I don't really know what to fix. Maybe some more shape around the lower head and mouth?

Also, I wouldn't stick any more than the claws out of the bottom of the cloud so that they're just poking through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)