CAP 10 CAP 10 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
smogonsprite.png
Normal
smogonspriteshiny.png
Shiny

well it looks better when your upclose and personal, but over all, I think its a good sprite...gotta work on teh shiny's colors though...

Wow. Currently I'm loving Paras' design, but in terms of cuteness Dragonzrule has it. Doran Dragon's also looks really good.
If I can make a comment on yours, Doran, maybe extend the antenna slightly higher and keep the yellow tips from the original.

Plain Eyes
shrimp19vdlkx.png

Aggressive Eyes
shrimp19b.png

the first one looks really cute, but i agree that the second has a bit more oomph. imo, you should make this a gender difference because i really like them both!

cartoons' design is looking like a top candidate. absolutely don't make it any bigger (this applies to most of the designs too). maybe this could use slightly shorter antenae?

chaoscrippler yours is seriously frickin adorable <3

paras hilton's design really says it all

-speed : the pose suggests that it has speed
- bulk : the size shows its bulk
- utility counter : the pose says : "bring it on!", as if it's challenging for you to throw anything at it.

DJD: I suggest you go for more a middle ground between the aggressive and the plain eyes. Perhaps you should experiment with a seafoam-green shiny? I am not very partial to the purple one.

shrimps3.png

Made some further changes to the coloration, altered the antennae, and softened the outline around the eye. I'm keen on leaving the glassy eyed stare the way it is because aragorn's concept art suggests the same blank look that makes Paras so endearing (to me if no one else).

Will probably get started on the backsprite soon as I'm happy with the pose I've achieved here. The classic C-shaped shrimp was important to preserve, but I wanted to give it a sense of motion without getting too specific with all its moving bits. There will probably be only minor alterations to the front sprite from here on unless some glaring problems are expressed.

I also always enjoy seeing your work in progress animations, Doug. I employ a similar approach, sketching out the pose lightly first, but never think to take screenshots. It's a mark of your real dedication to the process, and your sprites are always demonstrably well thought out because of it.

ok, I edited the antenna like alix13, and I made the legs shorter...the one was too long :(

smogonsprite.png
Normal
smogonspriteshiny.png
Shiny

also I dont think the red fits on the shiny, but the seafoam green was a great suggestion! :D

The antennae are a bit awkward. They come out to low on the head. and the stalks look very different from the rest of the art. I find myself only noticing the stalks because they stick out so much, the shiny's colors are ok, but I don't know what colors to make them.

Paris Hilton's is my favorite, although I think the antennae could use some work. Right now, the one on the right (my right) looks like it's just a plate coming off his back. I think they should be longer and a bit higher, more like the original concept art. I also would like to see the head made a tiny bit smaller. Either way, I love the dynamic posing and the color scheme.

@DougJustDoug: I prefer the angry eyes. I also wish you wouldn't have him curling up quite so tight.

All these sprites kind of remind me of the old RBY ones, back when Pokemon didn't have to be completely chibi (remember the first Golbat sprite? That thing gave me nightmares lol.) I don't know exactly why...it probably has something to do with all the lines and jagged edges. That was a compliment to all of you, by the way...I love the old sprites.

Paris Hilton would be my favorite except for one thing. I feel that his snout(?) is too curved. With that toned down a bit, I think it is great work.

smogonsprite.png
normal
smogonspriteshiny.png
shiny

messed around with colors a bit more, orange looks good on the shiny...took your advice aqueos...now the antenna are more like the picture...

eleshrimpspritebeta2.png
-->
eleshrimpspritefinal.png

And, I made my final version of the front sprite.
Redid the Antennae, as they looked very awkward...
And I also changed the colors and shading bit.
The yellow I was using was very bland. Too tan.
I chose a more deep yellow. Hopefully you guys like it a bit better.

Open to any & all comments & criticism!

Anyway, as for comments on other people's sprites...

DougJustDoug- I love what you've done with it, but the one and only irk I have with the sprite is this thing with it's face. Basically, the section between the top of it's head and it's nose is very... flat. Too flat, I feel. As the detailed art shows, there's a very subtle and smooth curve, which comes to a sharp-pointed nose, which you also rounded out quite a bit on the sprite. I know all of that is acceptable, from the artistic license, though I feel the straight face and curved nose you changed takes a lot away from the compelling design.

Cartoons!- I agree with you, on how you love the blank Paras-like look. However, I noticed that, in your most recent sprite, the eyes almost seem a bit... Rectangular?

Cartoons!- I agree with you, on how you love the blank Paras-like look. However, I noticed that, in your most recent sprite, the eyes almost seem a bit... Rectangular?
It's true, the eyes are a bit blockish. I tried making them bigger but didn't like how it looked. How does it look with more rounded edges?
shrimps3.png
->
shrimps_small%20eyes.png

m190049, my comments stem mostly just from aesthetic preferences. I find the eyes are proportionally a bit too small for the size of the head and that the antennae could stand to be separated from each other a bit. The new antennae bulbs however are an improvement over the first.

I've begun work on the backsprite and am wondering what the best way to frame it would be.
shrimps_back1.png
shrimps_back2.png
shrimps_back3.png

full body -- bottom cut -- mostly cut

The sprite still needs some cleaning up, but I'm wondering which of these you think offers the best presentation.

358xblz.jpg

117ffj7.jpg

I'm quite satisfied with this shiny pallet, inspired by the more bluish shrimp. Also, the male CAP 10 have little whiskers, hehe. So yeah, it's about time I started working on the backsprite.

EDIT: Wow, great job on the backsprite, Cartoons. I'd go with the full body or bottom cut option.

@Doran Dragon: Your sprite is my favorite in the thread. It has the 'feeling' of being a utility counter through the fact it's like determined to stop you. IMO, the seafoam green and red looks more stand out/sharp, so I prefer that over the orange one. However, the orange one looks gold so that's badass too.

@Cartoons: From your backsprites, I prefer the full body one since you want it to be 'small', and cuts make it seem like it's bigger than what you want it to be. Also, the rounded eyes look much better than the blocky ones.

Cartoons! said:
I've begun work on the backsprite and am wondering what the best way to frame it would be.
shrimps_back1.png
shrimps_back2.png
shrimps_back3.png

The sprite still needs some cleaning up, but I'm wondering which of these you think offers the best presentation.

Bottom Cut looks good, but I don't think dithering works well on a shrimp pokemon.

I messed around with my attempt a bit. I managed to make a good, thin, nonpixelated outline in Illustrator, but I have no idea how to color it in yet. I did make a slightly different pose, which I think is pretty decent. It's all gray and such because of the way Paint interprets super thin lines, which shouldn't be an issue if I can figure out how to color it properly. The one on the left is unmodified, and the one on the right is darkened up. I'm resolving the pixel-y quality of it at the moment. On the left is more accurate to the overall feel of the thinner outline, the right is just because the other one's a little hard on the eyes.

mre4pd.jpg

shrimps_back1.png
shrimps_back2.png
shrimps_back3.png

The dithering does look good, dont listen to them XD, but I think you should add some shading to the eyes, they kinda look bad ath the moment, add more shadeing in the outline of the eye too...

And thank you HD :D

It's true, the eyes are a bit blockish. I tried making them bigger but didn't like how it looked. How does it look with more rounded edges?
shrimps3.png
->
shrimps_small%20eyes.png

shrimps_back2.png

bottom cut
Bottom Cut I like the best of these. The only problem I have with the back sprite is its eyes, I think the pupil should be a bit more centered and the eyes shaded some more.

smogonsprite.png
normal
smogonspriteshiny.png
shiny

messed around with colors a bit more, orange looks good on the shiny...took your advice aqueos...now the antenna are more like the picture...
This is really nice. I just wish it could be a bit smaller.... it'd make more sense.

Wish i was better at spriting small...but that will come in time I guess...XD

thing is the block give a whole different effect, you have to decide whice effect fits the pokemon better...

Actualy, Cartoons!' Sprite seems to put off a RSE type sprite, while Sprites like Dragonzrule, seem to put off more of a HGSS type Sprite...idk what mine seems to feel like though...its kinda my own style so...

Started on mine as soon as the final artwork was announced.
cap101m.png

I didn't really try to make it that big, I just opened the 80x80 canvas and drew it out. If there's enough popular call for CAP 10 looking small I'll change the size.
This is the best so far, but I think you should add more of an "angry" expression in the eyes. Or do something more with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back