CAP 10 CAP 10 - Sprite Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

corrected. thank you cartoons!

I also used the shape of the tail as gender difference. but to avoid copying, my female sprite's tail is shaped like a crescent moon.

Doug, i think your sprites are awesome, however i think the back sprite angry eye needs tweaking, as ATM looks more gleeful than angry like its front sprite
Gotta agree with this. Doug, your sprites are easily my favourites and the gold and cyan shinies both look great it my opinion, but something is alittle off about the eye on the female back sprite, it almost looks...pushed into the skin, I think it needs to pop out just a little more and then you'll have a near perfect sprite!!

I also might experiment with the cyan alittle more, it really stands out the eye and gives the shiny a nice bright outlook, but regardless of what you do I'll be voting for yours.

Shiny togekiss, I think that if your Krilowatt's antennae pointed forwards it would look absolutely stunning. As it is now, though, it's still one of my favourites. Good job.

Normal,
Shiny
Normal Female,
Female Shiny

ok, I hope you like them, do you like my last shinys or these ones?

any criticism? I could use some...

Normal,
Shiny
Normal Female,
Female Shiny

ok, I hope you like them, do you like my last shinys or these ones?

any criticism? I could use some...
I love the colors for the shinys, not so much for the normal one. The pink is too close to beige. I almost mistook it for a brown. The head imo is a little too big, and is un-proportional to the rest of the body.

Ok. I brightened the colours up a bit, and made a female sprite. Male on the left, female on the right. And the bottom two are my shiny options. Vote which one you guys prefer.

And my attempt at a backsprite. I know it's not great, but this is my first ever backsprite. Again, male on left, female on right.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Several people have commented that the mean eyes on my backsprite looked a bit odd. So, I tried to fix that and make them look better. I like the change, and think it makes the mean eyes look more consistent with the round eyes. But, the round eyes are still BY FAR my favorite.

I also tweaked the cyan shiny colors. I agree with other comments that cyan makes the shiny more vibrant. I think it looks like Krilowatt is really glowing. I'm liking the cyan shiny more and more.

Oy!

I've been lurking around here for quite a while, but haven't gotten the nerve to post. I am pretty fond of all this CAP business, though, so...I guess I will! Hooray!

I hope there's still some time left for everyone to work on their sprites- mine still needs a lot of work, not to mention a backsprite, but it looks pretty okay for now. Though quite small. And still missing two claws, actually. But it's all well and good, really.

Also, I totally nicked Cartoons' colors. He's a damn wonderful spriter, you know. Hope he's okay with that. I absolutely loved the color scheme he was using, and just couldn't imagine this little guy any other way.

Anyway, yeah...! There you go, that's my exciting first post over here.

...And that's about it. Hooray!

Ok. I brightened the colours up a bit, and made a female sprite. Male on the left, female on the right. And the bottom two are my shiny options. Vote which one you guys prefer.

And my attempt at a backsprite. I know it's not great, but this is my first ever backsprite. Again, male on left, female on right.

This for me is just the one that gives off the more generic concept in my view. Others seem to over-cool it a bit. :pimp:

Shiny togekiss, I think that if your Krilowatt's antennae pointed forwards it would look absolutely stunning. As it is now, though, it's still one of my favourites. Good job.
thank you!
and now... backsprite!

i make a lot of sprites works,but i don't make a backspite. this is my first work. comments?

Final Submission

If I do make any changes, I'll edit the appropriate file and overwrite the ones here.

Poppants, awesome that your first post on Smogon would be a CAP contribution. I'm glad you found my selection pleasing, the colours are everyone's to use.
I'd suggest refining the linework a little, particularly in the application of black in shaded spots. Generally, the sprite's light source will be coming from the top left, and the areas furthest away from the light, as well as areas covered by other parts of the body will have a darker outline. On this page, Doug and Vader have particularly good applications of this principle.

The green is much better, but it could still use a liiiiiiitle darker of a green...its hard to see the tail lines cause its still quite light.

Poppants, awesome that your first post on Smogon would be a CAP contribution. I'm glad you found my selection pleasing, the colours are everyone's to use.
I'd suggest refining the linework a little, particularly in the application of black in shaded spots. Generally, the sprite's light source will be coming from the top left, and the areas furthest away from the light, as well as areas covered by other parts of the body will have a darker outline. On this page, Doug and Vader have particularly good applications of this principle.
Ah, thanks. I really like the project, I gotta say. I'm just a little surprised it isn't more popular, really. I love this kinda stuff. And, of course, thanks for letting me use the colors! I just absolutely love those sprites of yours. They're probably my favorite so far- hope yours do good when voting begins!

Thanks for the tip, too. Yeah, I haven't sprited in a while, so I'm a bit rusty. There's still a bit to fix with it, particularly when it comes to darkening the outline and improving the shading. I'll try and keep the light source in mind when I edit it some more; I've always had a bit of trouble with that.

Right, so! Current progress:

I almost feel embarrassed to post these backsprites, since there's still so much I need to change. The two mouths aren't the different genders- I'm still trying to decide which I should use. The mouth is a nice touch, but not completely necessary.

The shading's a bit wonky in places (those pesky light sources), and it just seems generally...well, just sort of eh at the moment. And this is pretty silly, but I accidentally drew it as if its head was above the rest of its body, and that doesn't make much sense. There seems to be a little too much black, it's a little too big, the anti-aliasing could be better...so I've got a tad more to do.

So...yeah! Doing fantastically. Hopefully I can touch up the front sprite later today, and the backsprite a little later. Spriting takes silly amounts of time sometimes, even if the end results aren't always spectacular.

Frost-Phoenix1 said:
Also, I'd say I like the black and gold one. It's a tried and true color combination, but it looks amazing on pretty much anything. And, you know what, your sprites are pretty damn good, too. I've had fun spriting, at least. :pimp:

I'm not gonna finish it, so if anyone wants to take it and edit it, go right ahead, anyway, @cartoons, i love your design for it XD

I really like Cartoons. I like the difference between the male and female, and the size is really good because it gives the Pokemon a more realistic feel because shrimps aren't big in real life. The coloring is also really well done, both shiny and normal.

Looks too RBY'ish I think. But whatever, made this last night at like 3 AM.

Edit: Just whipped up this new one here, needs tweakin but I like it much more :3

Edit again:
orrr

For the love of god Scicky, please finish that uncolored one! I just love the RBY feel, and I think it'd look great when complete. I think it has way more charm than the new one.

Been playing around in Paint all day. That said, I've pretty much trashed the old frontsprite. It was a pretty nice sprite, I guess, but it just didn't suit these purposes very well. Wasn't very Pokemon-y, I guess. Thus! I made a completely new pose, then edited the hell out of that. And then I got this:

Which I think is pretty good. Still needs some work to make it look more official, but I like it a whole lot more.

Probably going to either totally ditch or edit the hell out of the backsprite, too. Hopefully I can salvage it, because those backsprites take crazy amounts of time to try and make look nice.

hi,
here is my entry
It's still a WIP but just wanted to hear some comments to improve it.
Sertainly going to change the color of the shiny to a less...flashy color (even though I really like it on the back sprite).​

hope you like it :)​

also some comments on the others:
- cartoon: really love yours, it is in a good 'shrimpy' pose, a clean sprite...
- poppants: I love the first pose you made. I looked really cute. The mouth was a little bit blurry though. The pose of the second one isn't really something i like, but the technical side (shading,outlining,...) is much cleaner. So i would suggest just use your new spritingskills to improve the first pose :p The backsprite seems a little out of prportion though...I would change some thing about the outlining to make it fit.
- chaoscripler: I really liked the first pose. The second a little less. It's just the fact that is vertical that the sprite looks a little but too stretched out.
- dougjustdoug: clean nice sprite, but a little bit too static for my taste.
-scicky: really use the outlining of the first one, it looks much better then the others. good luck with that, it sertainly got potential :)
- frostpheonix: jsut like chaoscripler, your sprite seems really good, but a little bit too strectech out because you made a vertical pose.
- daron dragon: I love your shades and the gender diffrence (sublim but effective :p). Euhm... can't really say something to improve... The only thing that actually bothers me is the glowing of the antennas. I just looks weard.
- darthvader: I love the pose, and the backsprite also it really cute. Nothin' velse I can say actually :p

I love dougjustdougs sprites. I like both eyes. You should make the female have round eyes and the male have Mean eyes. That would be fun.

I absolutely love Stickys RBY-ish sprite. Some work on the slight choppyness and color and thats a winner in my books.

Been editing the sprite- you know, actually, every time I look at whatever I'm working on again, I realize it's crap. Hate it when that happens, you know.

Anywho, more edits! I think it's starting to look nicer.

Probably going to lighten up on the colors and tweak the outline and such. Still looks a little crowded, so I might even try and make it bigger, but I like it.

Also, awesome sprites, noobiess! I really like the lineart, and the backsprite is fantastic. I wasn't sure how to go about mine (and the result shows), but that makes it look really simple. Pretty nice job. I would say, though, that I'd darken the outline a lot, make the yellow contrast with the red a bit more, maybe use one less shade on the body, and darken the colors a bit too, I guess. I love the lineart, but the shading makes it look less Pokemon-y. Dunno how to describe it. I did the same thing on the first sprite I posted here. Here's a comparison to word this better:

Just trying to be helpful, though. Sorry if this sounds rather arrogant! You, like most people here, look like you're better at this than I am. :pimp:

@Cartoons! I really like the rendition with the rounder eyes, and regarding your comment before about it having "Paras eyes," that certainly fits here. One thing I notice is that the tail in the front sprite is posed a bit awkwardly as it looks like the back claw is the tail. I also really dig the bottom cut back sprite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)