CAP 11 CAP 11 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
All right, this will be my final concept, though not my final submission of course.

Panther warrior with Mayan-inspired motifs. Things may change in the end depending on stat spreads and maybe ability choices. I'm definitely going to play around with traditional Mayan ornaments, jewelery, and patterns to see which looks best.
Is it Dark and Fighting enough though?

Seo that is AMAZING, the color scheme looks alright and seems to fit the fighting/dark type and the blue is definitely great, keep up the good work! ^_^

All right, this will be my final concept, though not my final submission of course.

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/4835/cap11.jpg

Panther warrior with Mayan-inspired motifs. Things may change in the end depending on stat spreads and maybe ability choices. I'm definitely going to play around with traditional Mayan ornaments, jewelery, and patterns to see which looks best.
Is it Dark and Fighting enough though?

It looks realy good only I have two very small suggestions, don't make the eyes just yellow, add a red pupil or something and also, don't make the inside of the mouth yellow, all of its inside would be yellow?

Darkmattr: I really like how its cape wraps around it in its defensive mode, as well as its twisty antenna. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the bandages on its hands, though.

C~Dog: I Suggest going with the original, the evil cymbal monkey idea works well, and I think it's represented better in the chimp-like one.

SEO: This is just plain awesome. The blue glow is very nice. I would suggest making its pants and neck things the same color, but that's just my opinion. On a side note, I really like the shading for your picture. And I don't think it has to involve Togekiss in the design, just look at the current, existing partners, I mean, Skarmory and Blissey don't exactly relate to each other.

Aragornbird: It looks really cool, but I feel like it's almost too simple? Maybe some gold leg cuffs, or a gold cuff on its tail could help.

...It honestly looked a LOT more Fighting-Type when I first imagined it. I'll work on fixing that up later, I guess. Miscellaneous crit, for now, though, please.
[Concept Art, or something.]

Well... It's a Chameleon. While I'm kind of one of those guys who agrees that it shouldn't directly look like Togekiss or be based on it, and stuff, I have to admit that I did take idea from it.

As has been mentioned, Togekiss is angelic and stuff. It's also possibly based on a dove, which again is happiness and whatnot. It's like is also based on an egg- which is the precursor to "life". So, I made an opposite. Rather than an egg which is the start of things, I was inspired to make it vaguely based on a scythe, the tool of Death, aka the Reaper. ...Vaguely, anyway. Again, I skewed it a lot.

As for the animal inspiration, as an opposite to Togekiss' fancy happiness bird-base, I wanted a reptilian creature. I was a bit tired of everyone's mammalian bases and chose something opposite. Snakes came to mind, initially, but the lack of arms/legs threw me off. I was going to compromise with a skink or something, but then I had the idea of a Chameleon, which already had a somewhat scythe-looking body shape. Additionally, they have that awesome eye and some have horns. So, yeah. Base chosen.

Despite these parallels, with the fact that I was inspired by Togekiss, this Chameleon isn't meant to specifically interact with it or anything at all. It's not it's "guardian", or any blah like that. It's an evolution line of it's own (drawing intended to have but one pre-evo).

...Again, the color scheme and the edits I have in mind will make it look less Normal/Ground/Grass/Poison/SoloDark Type, don't worry. The Fighting-Type will be there.

It's meant to be seen as a very agile trickster. While not a Ninja on it's own, it's meant to be Ninja-like, in behavior and reflexes. It has great jumping ability, and they often attack in swarms. They have no problems clinging to trees and other surfaces, as do actual Chameleons. It also uses it's tail to bludgeon things, if it helps give any imagery. Also, the spine on it's back, which is one of the last remaining characteristics of it's original scythe-like concept, was designed with Rapid Spin in mind, as a possibility, though not as an outright "LOOK IT HAS IT". I haven't checked any of the movepool discussion things recently do I don't know if that's still on the table or not.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
A few people commented about the "clothing" on my Jack the Ripper design, so I'm experimenting with new colors that might make it look less like the pokemon is wearing clothes.

Here is a side-by-side comparison:

I'm not trying to remove the impression that it has a suit. Lots of other pokemon have clothing-like designs, and suits are particularly popular -- just look at Empoleon, Illumise, Kricketot, and others. In fact, Pokemon are quite well-dressed sometimes! But, I agree that most pokemon don't "wear clothes" per se -- so I don't want my design to go too far in that direction.

I tried as best as possible to incorporate most of the clothing elements as organic components of the pokemon. For example, the "hat" is just an extension of the head, and the "brim" is actually the eyebrows of the pokemon. The "knife" is a long claw, and the "bag" actually grows from the wrist of the pokemon.

Since I am going with a Jack the Ripper theme, I think the clothing-like elements are essential to conveying the premise of the design. If I genericize it all too much, I think it will just look like a run-of-the mill claw-weilding badass. Or worse, it will look like a jumbled mess that makes people go "WTF?" when they see it. My goal is to make something that doesn't look too much like a little human-being wearing clothes. But rather a pokemon (likely in the Human-Shaped egg group btw) that intelligent viewers look at and say, "Oh cool, it's based on Jack the Ripper".

I realize Jack the Ripper is a bit dark for Pokemon, so some people may not be into the design for those reasons. But, I can't do anything to sway those people -- this is a devious pokemon design, squarely intended to invoke the imagery of the most famous serial killer in history. But, even if the theme is more grisly than anything GameFreak might actually do -- I still would like my design to be stylistically consistent with other examples in the actual game.

I'm not convinced the new coloring is an improvement, but it does mitigate the impression that the pokemon has underlying "skin color" (white in the original) that is only exposed on the face, hands, and feet. But, I really liked the idea of the stark white face color, which looks very eerie and evil. Some people thought the white face made it look too much like a ghost -- so removing the white might be better overall. I'm not for sure whether I will use the new coloring or not. Comments are certainly welcome.

thanks for the comments everyone =) I really appreciate the feedback Ill work on some more supporting material as far as moves and stuff would go.. To answer a few previous comments.. The wrappings on the hands kind of doubled as bandages/resembling when fighters tape their knuckles for boxing/fighting. Anymore suggestions are welcome as I go into the final stages here.

-I like the badger design quite a bit with the cloak doubling as the fur kinda thing, would like to see a few different color schemes though, maybe skunktank-ish? Either way this is a great entry.

-SEO's Id like to see with a bit more detail I can't really make out what the face would entirely look like, but it looks really promising.

-DJD, I like where it's going but I can't say the new coloring scheme is making it look less like clothing.. It looks a bit too fragmented due to all of the different colors separating the shoulders/arms+pants/body. When I look at something like empoleon it's body and arms and legs are all continuous using the same color, and the clothing elements are kind of more subtle add ons. I think you can definitely make the design work though

There's too many designs to comment on but everyone's look great. time for a nap

okay, which of these color schemes works best?
A B or C

I was also thinking of some other ones like with purples or greens if these don't seem to work.

@DougJustDoug
I have to say while I like the idea and palette, and the way you interpreted Jack the Ripper is VERY neat... The way it's specifically shown it in that art is a little... Strange? those legs confuse me...kinda? I don't know how to explain it. Basically, I have trouble imagining it balancing naturally, with the perfect round tips and the pose makes them look a bit... Overly flexible. It gives me the impression it'd made out of plastic or something, as it reminds me of one if those "bend and pose it however you like!" wacky pens. I'm not completely sure how to fix that, except to maybe take out the "twisting" of the legs and make it look more like it's just standing? I know it was meant to look like badass like it is walking forward at you (and it works), but it kind of confuses me a little. ...That's me, anyway. Not sure if others see the same. Perhaps also lowering the "crotch" a bit (though not lowering the bottom of the tan "chest"), or rather, just raising the chestplate up somewhat, would make it look a bit more natural.

Another thing that's bothering me a bit is the arms, or, the shoulders, more accurately. Blocked by the collar, you cant really see it's shoulders, and how they exactly connect. I'm not recommending you change them- I quite like them, actually, but for the sake of clarity, could you possibly make a few quick behind-the-scenes sketches of Ripjack from different angles? Mostly some from the back, to see exactly how it "fits together". The same kind of goes for Ripjack's chin. It looks like it kinda does, but doesn't at the same time, extend that much forward, and a nice angular or side view would fix up that perspective.

...Hope I didn't sound too condescending or anything. =x

@DougJustDoug- I agree ith ^this^. I think your design would really benefit from having more defined knees and shoulders. Other than that, it looks good. The face is spooky.

I think this is going to be my main work. I'll get around to some supporting work at some point but i'm more concerned about the main design itself. I'll take on board any critique anybody wants to say about this piece.

A big thanks to everybody so far! Artists really do appreciate comments on their work so please make sure you haven't missed anybody while scrolling through the thread.

As for the work itself, I was originally going to do more advanced shading however I feel a simple clean style is more fitting for a Pokémon. I also don't feel I need to adjust the build of this mon judging by how the stats appear to be swinging towards a fast and slightly special based mon.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
<design snip>

I think this is going to be my main work. I'll get around to some supporting work at some point but i'm more concerned about the main design itself. I'll take on board any critique anybody wants to say about this piece.

A big thanks to everybody so far! Artists really do appreciate comments on their work so please make sure you haven't missed anybody while scrolling through the thread.

As for the work itself, I was originally going to do more advanced shading however I feel a simple clean style is more fitting for a Pokémon. I also don't feel I need to adjust the build of this mon judging by how the stats appear to be swinging towards a fast and slightly special based mon.
I like it, 'nuff said. It looks almost too realistic, though.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
I decided to work in my clown design. Thanks for your comments and help.

Supporting Material

Using Dark Pulse

Using Focus Blast

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
tanuki ninja/"little warrior dog" post 2

please read the first post for concept and explanations!

so i haven't had any feedback thus far, but i went ahead and spruced up the design a little to get it away from feeling like lucario

i'm pleased with the results, but not set on everything, including colour scheme (which i have considered reversing). the markings now (the green in particular) look like they might be a little redundant, so i am considering dropping the green one or incorporating more green into the design. more markings? green ear tips? toss some ideas around with me

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6620/tanuki1.jpg

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/4560/tanuki3.jpg

let me know what you think

nothing to say about it? let me know why!

thanks!

@ DougjustDoug - I like how you've incorporated the "parts of the suit" as various body parts on your design. You mentioned several ways in which you made the suit parts feel organic and I think each of the ones you mentioned totally works. However, if you're looking to make it still more "animal" looking, I think that the red collar / tie part would be a good place to focus. To me, it looks too perfectly "suit". If you made it simpler, or something more animal like, it might ease up some of the "why is it wearing clothing?" look. That said, it's a great design, and if you don't want to make it more animal-like there's nothing wrong with that.

I also love the designs from SEO, Wyveri, and aragornbird.

My absolute favorite so far is DarkMattr's design. It's just a shame it can't be animated, since the wrap/unwrap thing is just awesome. Male / Female sprites????

@Zakki B is the best in my opinion, C just feels odd with the color imblanaces (though cool) and something about A makes it look like he's wearing a shirt xD. Very nice design though.

Also loving SEO's new color scheme sketch and still gushing over Cartoons! amazing submission.

6A9 Ace Matador

veni, vidi, vici, VERSACE, VERSACE VERSACE
az da best imo the colours are origional, eye catching and fun. i could see racoon monster kicking some serious tail too, would use it in my OU team.

props boy

Wyveri's design is my favorite right now. In order to make it more fighting-esque, I would redo the sketch to make give it more of a fighter's stance, and clench one of the hands into a fist. The blue in the color scheme is also a bit off.

But my question to all the artists that are drawing physical looking mons; will you be able to incorporate the access to special attacks that this pokemon needs to have into a meaty looking pokemon like a wolf or a wrestler?

And who the hell picked Fighting/Dark as a type anyway lol, how does that type assist Togekiss at all besides getting murdered by Infernape.

Calad

Hero of the Blue Flames
is an Artist Alumnus
also everything looks great so far but if i had to choose one i'd go with caladbolg~!
That's funny, because, If I had to choose one I'd go with your design.

The Tanooki Ninja looks pretty amazing. I'll send you a PM to give you an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)