CaP 18 Pre-Evo - Part 3 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Hi There guys! I know a lot of people have been waiting mainly for this thread! Volkraken had a heated (oh ho) Art Submission process with a huge number of entries (including one of my own). GolurkYourself came out on top with a Vampire Squid inspired design.

Remember that we are designing the pre-evolution to Volkraken. Therefore, make your art designs something that could reasonably evolve into Volkraken. There are plenty of odd evolution designs in Pokemon and you all have plenty of creative license to do as you please, but remember that this Pokemon is supposed to be a first-stage evolution that will evolve into the sneaky Volkraken. In fact, here's Volkraken's official art design.

There are some rules concerning legal art submissions. A final submission will contain a main design and supporting material if you choose to add supporting material to your artwork. What constitutes a main design and supporting material will be discussed later in this post. The most important rule concerning art submissions is that all work must be your own. Plagiarism is heavily frowned upon and will only result in pain, misery, and infractions. Or even bans in particularly egregious cases. Using someone else's idea as inspiration is fine, but copying someone else's idea and passing it off as your own is unacceptable. Use discretion when using someone else's idea; if you think you are plagiarizing, you probably are.

Main Designs

A main design is the piece of art that the voters will be voting on. It is modeled after the Official Art of existing Pokemon. For example, the Cawmodore artwork in this post is Cawmodore's Main Design. The winning Main Design will be the official, definitive art for Cawmodore's pre-evolution. Therefore, when creating and submitting your Main Design, remember that your design should be worthy of display as the official art for Cawmodore's pre-evolution. Official pictures of Cawmodore's pre-evolution will use the winning Main Design. Although the idea of a Main Design is the "Official Pokemon Art" of Cawmodore's pre-evolution, that does not mean you have to follow any specific artistic style when designing your Pokemon. There are no pre-determined standards of artistic design or rendering technique.

Here are the rules governing legal Main Design submissions:

• Your design must consist of a single Pokemon on a plain white background with no part of the Pokemon cut off by the canvas.
  • No props, action effects, move effects, or additional objects can be rendered on or around the Pokemon. If a prop is part of the Pokemon's basic design (ie. Conkeldurr's pillars, Gurdurr's girder), then it is acceptable.
  • Any 2D digital or scanned traditional drawing may be used. It must be in full color. 3D media and photos are not allowed.
  • Your design must have a distinguishable outline on the entire subject in contrast to the background. No part of the design can be blurred into the background or blended into the background in any way.
  • The maximum allowed size is 640x640 and the minimum allowed size of 320x320.
  • Your design must be in a compressed digital format such as .png or .jpg.
  • Please only host artwork on a reliable image hosting service (such as imgur or puush). Do not use the forum's 'Upload a File' feature. Do not use Iaza or Ezimba.
I've bolded the part about Plain White Backgrounds as (iirc) two or three designs were disqualified for this last time out (During Cawmodore's Prevo).

Final Submission Post Rules

All artists must make a final submission post conforming to the following rules, including those for the Main Design, in order to be included in the art poll.
  • The post must have "Final Submission" (in bold) as the first line, with the Main Design at the top, and supporting material (if applicable) below it.
  • All supporting art must be included as links or as linked thumbnails no larger than 150 pixels in either dimension. Do not include full images of supporting art in the final submission.
  • Only make one (1) final submission post. Artists are welcome to work on multiple designs and get feedback from the community, but only one design can be submitted for final consideration. If you wish to alter any aspect of your final submission, then edit your post. Do not make a new one, even if you delete your original post. Any deleting and re-posting will be treated as bumping and is subject to moderation.

By making a final submission, an artist gives the CAP project permission to use the submitted art for CAP and related projects. The artist also consents that the design can be interpreted by other artists for the CAP project and for other promotional purposes.

Artists cannot submit any artwork that has been previously or that is currently used by another project not affiliated with CAP. The winning CAP artist agrees to not later use the winning design for another project or contest not affiliated with CAP.

These rules are not malleable and will be strictly enforced. Do not use precedence as an argument for breaking these rules. Claiming that your submission is legal because it emulates an existing Pokemon or a previous CAP's art is not a valid reason for breaking the rules. There are existing in-game Pokemon that do not comport with these rules and there are existing CAP Main Designs that do not comport with these rules. However, these are still the current rules for submitting Main Designs and for your design to be legal, it must follow all of these rules. If you are not sure whether your design is legal, feel free to contact me or a CAP moderator. These rules are not meant to discourage users from submitting art and these rules are not supposed to trick anyone. If you want to make sure your submission is legal, please ask!

Supporting Material

Supporting Material is material that adds to your Main Design. Although the winning Supporting Material is not featured in the same capacity as the Main Design, Supporting Material is still useful for convincing others why your design deserves to win the Art Polls. There are almost no rules governing Supporting Material, and almost any Supporting Material you can think of is allowed. Typical examples of Supporting Material include motion sketches, interactions between your art design and other Pokemon (including CAPs), animations, sculptures, and cartoon strips. Pictures of your design from other angles are also acceptable. Non-art supporting material is also perfectly fine. If you would like to argue or describe in words how your art design works, that is also legal. Just remember to keep your Supporting Material tasteful and to relate your Supporting Material to the Main Design. This rule is intended to prevent artists from posting unrelated art in an effort to gain more attention or promote other designs or artworks. Supporting Material is not necessary nor required for the Art Poll. All you need to create to appear in the Art Poll is a legal Main Design, but if you would like to further explain your Main Design then feel free to include Supporting Material. There are very few rules governing Supporting Material, so get creative with your Material if you include some!

General Posting Rules
  • Artists can post any work-in-progress (WIP) artwork in order to solicit feedback or to help develop ideas. WIP artwork does not need to conform to the standards of a Main Design. It can be in any medium or stage of completion, but it must be related to an original art design by the poster.
  • Do not spam the thread with excessive amounts of artwork over a short period of time. Apparently, some artists think they will improve their chances in the poll if they overload the submission thread with their artwork. Doing so will result in your posts being moderated.
  • Do not post inconsequential "updates" to previously posted art. Only if you have made a significant change and have not posted art recently can you post an update in the thread.
  • No post can contain more than 800x800 pixels of included art, and no single picture can be larger than 640x640. Past those limits, artists should post links to the additional art or use linking thumbnails. Each thumbnail can be no larger than 150x150. Any number of thumbnails can be included in a post, even if it passes the limit. All art must be in a compressed digital format such as .jpg or .png.
  • Do not post to state your intended design. Such posts are a weak attempt to "reserve" an idea, and serve no constructive purpose. "Reserving" an idea carries no weight and is completely inconsequential to your final product.
  • Do not post images to serve as inspiration for artists or attempt to commission an artist in the thread to do your idea. This isn't an idea thread. It's fine for artists to post their own inspiration as supporting material. All work should be your own. If you would like to bounce around some ideas, do so on #cap on IRC.
  • No bumping or begging, especially for feedback. If your design is any good, people will comment on it. If your design gets no feedback, then your design is not very good. Consider the silence to be your feedback. If your design is not receiving feedback, then it is probably not impressing anyone enough to win the Art Poll. Discussing your design on #cap on IRC, however, is fine. Just follow the IRC rules when doing so.
  • Do not declare any artwork as "the winner" or say that anything "is clearly going to win". It's fine to post praise or support for an artwork, but don't make a statement indicating the results of a poll that has not been conducted. Such posts are insulting to all the other competing artists.
  • Do not post that a design does or does not "look like a Pokemon/Digimon". Such comments are unable to be substantiated or refuted. There is no artistic style guide for Pokemon, so don't act like you know what a Pokemon should look like. If you like or dislike a design, that's fine, just say that. Saying you dislike a design is fine as long as your criticism is constructive. Don't say someone's design looks more like Agumon than Volkraken.
  • Do not post questions asking for help in making art. This isn't a tutorial thread.

Art Polls

All art polls will contain the main design and, if applicable, a link below it titled "Supporting Material". This will link to the artists final submission post. If the final submission contains no significant supporting material, then no link will be included in the poll below the main design. As a result of This Policy Review decision, all legal Final Submissions will be slated on the Art Poll. You do not have to convince me that your art is worthy to be slated. I am just another voter in terms of the Art Poll, my only other responsibility is, well, running this thread and opening/closing the poll. To reiterate, all legal submissions will make the Art Poll. Don't worry about "not being good enough to be slated", if your post follows all the rules then your design will go before the voters!

Miscellaneous

This thread will be open for much longer than other CAP pre-evolution threads. Stats and Movepool will run concurrently with this thread, so don't worry about a "time crunch" with Art Submissions. I will update this thread with more information (Stats, etc.) as we decide on it.

Our Prevo so far:

Typing: Water/Fire
Abilities: Anticipation / Infiltrator / Unnerve
Stats: TBC

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

This design is one of the more unusual things I've drawn lately, though that's at least intended.

My mind clutched onto the dumbo octopus when CAP voted to have a pre-evolution. Dumbo octopuses also live in the extreme depths of the ocean, so I figured they transition well into vampire squids. Pokemon-ifying the dumbo octopus, though, resulted in a rather strange design. :P I figure it's at least a nice contrast against the cute designs we get for pre-evos.

Final Submission

Well, here we go, another shot at the art section.

I incorporated many elements of Volkraken, as well as a baby vampire squid picture I found on google images. I rounded the fins on the head to show it isn't fully developed and to give it a younger feel, and gave it short barbels. The face on the forehead is primitive, and while it still has false eyes and a round complexion, it isn't as scary. Spikes aren't visible from this view, but imagine that they're few and small. Finally, I tried to mimic the style Golurk did on Volkraken to help strengthen the visual similarity.

Supporting art (currently just the original sketches):

Last edited:
Love your design, Quanyails. The false face looks so silly and harmless, which is a nice contrast to Volkraken's intimidating look. I would say that I don't really like the ear color too much. Maybe a darker grey so that the ears can transition into Volkraken's wings? Maybe also try to make that blue a little more like Volkraken's. I understand this is just a WIP though.

frenzyplant

Inertia is a property of matter.
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

smaller vampire squids only have one set of fins and look very similar to adults, which is why this looks so much like Volkraken. I tried to shorten the barbells and make it more "cutesy", shortening the tentacles while keeping the false face, but also removing some of the false face's sharp edges.

edit: made the glowy things actually glow.

Supporting material (just wips):
unshaded ver. - lines

Last edited:

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus

Here's my effort. I decided to retain the false face since that was a defining feature of Volkraken, but made it look more innocuous and smiley for a pre-evo. Baby vampire squids don't have webbing between their tentacles, so that was my little nod to biology. Vampire squid hatchlings also have smaller eyes than adults, but I couldn't do that because big eyes are essential to cuteness :p

EDIT: changed the false face because the old one didn't look like a face lol

Last edited:
Final Submission

Right, here's my go at it, but first, a side note; I don't expect this to win because
a) Everyone else has fantastic drawings and
b) My art is mediocre at best, as seen with this.

Behold. When I thought of a design, I eventually settled on just a normal squid. As you can see, I did indeed make it cute, but not because it's a prevo. I wanted to represent something cute and innocent become something intimidating, like Volkraken. I also found the thought of making just an normal squid (albeit with some odd attributes) becoming a more frightening vampire squid interesting. And so, that's how this came to be. I used a picture of a squid and Volkraken for reference, and picked the colors right off of Volkraken's art. Like others, I made the false face cuter as well, making it more like a mask. In addition, since Volkraken has a total of eight tentacles, I gave this little guy four, as well as only two 'wings'. The reason the wings are near the top of it's head is because, on an actual squid, there are extensions from the cranium in that area, so the 'wings' would fit perfectly there. That's..really about it.

Look at it's eyes. It is begging to be voted for.

Edit: Resized it.

mod edit: Image too large

Last edited:
I drew this before the art thread opened and I've had a few ideas since then, so this is a WIP for now.

I was really wanting to incorporate vampire fangs somewhere, so I gave it a "beak" and made the teeth the same colour as the spines underneath Volkraken's tentacles. Then I put the barbels in a swoop over the eyes- felt that was a Pokemon-esque thing to do. Took a bit of inspiration from cuttlefish by putting in the wavy webbing.

Currently I am unsure about what the false face should look like and if this colour scheme is okay. I was thinking about making it change colours more drastically upon evolving, but I can't think of something fluid enough. Other than that, I'm not sure on the webbing/webbing between tentacles and the wingshape so I might change those.

Any critique on the design would be awesome! :D I'll post my thoughts on current designs later.

EDIT: Oh! Blue-tipped tentacles, I overlooked that. Probably will add that in later too.

Last edited:
Here we go!

I based my design on the dumbo octopus, which flaps its earlike fins to swim. I simplified the false face on its head to look more childish, and shortened the tentacles to make it look less developed. As it evolves, its different parts mature.

Critique is welcome. All the designs look excellent, though!

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Well, here's my first draft of my Volkraken prevo. I decided to use a different process than I normally do for digital art; the outline was actually drawn out by hand with a thick marker, as I hoped this would give a more cartoony feel. I wasn't sure that I wanted to stick to red for the main body color, so I tried out blue instead. I tried to make the mantle much, much larger in comparison to the rest of the body, as it seemed that this added to the "younger" feeling and helped mimic the proportions of baby Vampire Squid better. I tried to make the false face much less menacing than Volkraken's, but I hope it portrays a goofy look that is still somewhat creepy. Because the body is blue, I added some small flames on the top of the head to still portray the fire typing.

Any opinions, suggestions, critiques, and the such are very much welcome. I don't consider my design to be in stone by any means, so I could end up changing a lot, and any comments you guys have could help me out with potential changes.

And here I was about to say how tough it is trying to make a baby Volkraken not look like an Inkay or Tentacool, lol. I'm not an artist - this is an early WIP, lacking any real shading or details. It is mostly my attempt to find a unique take on the idea of a baby squid. Kind of afraid to post this considering the sheer quality of the competition, but I once posted a rather derpy design in a previous CAP, so screw it, no regrets.

As a pre-evolution, my first thought was "cute". I decided that this thing would probably want to try be intimidating, and when I was looking up pictures of baby squids, for some reason the idea came to me of it wearing its egg on its head like a helmet. The egg is also meant to be somewhat reminiscent of a bubble or a diver's helmet, though I may just go for a normal Pokemon-style egg. The hole is to show that the that the egg is being outgrown, and to be more visually interesting. I didn't do a bubble around it's entire body because I didn't want it to be too similar to Solosis. The egg is also there because I couldn't think of any facial markings or design that looked decent and original ._. The orange around its eyes is supposed to be reminiscent of domino masks - in particular, Robin from the DCU. I was going to have that one thin tentacle that vampire squid have for feeding (forgive my biology), but worked it into those barbels Volkraken has. The tentacles are terrible, but far better than my awful attempts at being dynamic, ha. The colours are quite muted - I was trying to capture that translucent look that a lot of baby squids seem to have, but probably failed and will likely replace it with a scheme much closer to Volkraken's slightly orangish-red and icy-blue.
_
V4LOVER, your creature completely and utterly terrifies me and makes me feel dirty, but really seems like a perfect blend of Volkraken and actual baby vampire squid (which also makes me feel dirty). I love it. Integer Mova, your squid is ridiculously adorable useless comment is useless. CBMeadow, your baby is wonderful, but something about it kind of throws me off, and I'm not really sure what - the spikes on the head, maybe? I still really like it regardless.

As I've said, all of these are fantastic! While I'm a bit iffy about the blue coloration for a prevo, I suppose I can understand why it was done, and they're all unique in their own ways. V4's design is spectacular, the style being an excellent mimic of the official art for Volkraken himself! Overall, it's quite clear to me that I don't think I'm going to come close to victory. ^^' Good job, and good luck to everyone!

volkraken pre-evo image: http://imgur.com/TmLd8dl
Concept: Since octpuses are intellegent creatures, I decided to create a design that captures that attribute. Because the octopus's false face has not developed yet, it is extremely vulnerable to predators. To fix the problem, it paints blue rings on itself to imitate the extremely poisonous blue-ringed octopus.

I feel that this design fits all three abilities.
unnerve-It unnerves predators and other creatures with its intimidating blue rings.
Infiltrator-like its evolution, it an infiltrate through crevices and small spaces
Analytic-It is extremely intelligent

Opinions on whether or not this is a good concept will be appreciated

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
Kingriolu, I like the creativity in your concept a lot! My main suggestions would be to integrate the paintbrush more seamlessly into the design and to ease up on the number on blue rings you have on the mantle. Perhaps even have one of the front arm tips be a paintbrush itself, rather than merely holding one? And, as a final suggestion, don't be afraid to draw large on your paper; in the event that you make it to large on your paper, you can always scale it down on your computer and retain high quality. However, it's much harder to start with a small drawing and have it properly sized without pixelation. I'm looking forward to seeing how your design progresses.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Okay guys, I am going to throw down a provisional 48 hour warning. Remember, all legal entries will be slated for the Art Poll!

I'm liking the look of a few of these designs at the moment! :)

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Fixed up a few details on this dumbo octopus. ouo

• V4LOVER: I'm seeing 'Volkraken mini' in your design, an idea perpetuated by the (intentional?) similarity to Golurkyourself's style the drawing has. I like designs that are more creative! Pokemon don't evolve into bigger versions of themselves. Their characteristics change. Hence, there should be fewer identities.
  • Phione: I tried darker ears, but they made the drawing look 'heavier'. D: I totally respect your response and comment, just to say. Also, when you say to make the blue more similar to Volkraken's blue, how so? Brighter? Less saturated?
  • Integer Mova: Simply adorable. C: I like how the mask on the design becomes Volkraken's 'false face'.
  • frenzyplant: I'm seeing 'Volkraken mini' in your design. May I ask for more distinctions between Volkraken and your drawing? I could mistake one for the other as it is.
  • Blue Frog: Haha, cute false face. :) Cute design in general. The distinction in proportions your design has versus Volkraken make it quite plausible as a pre-evolution.
  • Ignis Unis: You'll have to shrink the image if you want the design in the polls, first and foremost. I, frankly, don't think that a completely frontways view is beneficial toward your design. The mantle seems to act like eyebrows and gives your eyes angry appearances, rather than the cute ones you intend. The markings on that mantle look rather small and more like an emblem rather than a pattern on the creature. I like the bioluminescent lights on the tip of its head and the altered eyes compared to Volkraken's, though. You've got some good ideas, though I believe there is room for improvement.
  • CBMeadow: It's wonderful to see you again! I just wish you could say the same for me (I have commissions and real life diverting attention from CAP :(). I like how the pre-evolution's fins resemble horns, which add to that false face. The eyes and huddled pose your design have add to its cuteness, so I'm sure it'll be popular. :)
  • The Steam Punk: Hmm, a skull false face. It's not too contrived for Pokemon, even if it did make me stop and think. The simple design looks great!
  • HeaLnDeaL: The false face on this one is pretty neat. There's a great contrast between that and the cute, actual face of your design. It's great to see designs stray from Volkraken's palette, since that gives the design a sense of change, in contrast to just growth/regression as some other designs use for pre-evolution. I don't see too much of a need to change your design... although personally, the false face is a bit unnerving (which is a good thing). XD
  • TordenOfItami: I'm drawing in ye old MS Paint, too. D: The rules require full lineart throughout the piece, and I see a few gaps in it in your drawing. Try using the bezier (curve) tool to get those lines smooth. Perhaps shrinking the drawing and then drawing over it would work, given that the image is a tad too large, too. The egg is a strange, but distinctive idea compared to other pre-evolutions, although an octopus evolving from an egg isn't the first thing I'd think of for egg-related evolutions.
  • Absolclaw: I think the egg/bubble helmet is distinctive enough for your design. The barbel-tentacles work, too, as an object of distinction. Make sure you outline your drawing when you're past the that WIP stage!
  • Kingriolu: Hmm? The number of swirls on your design are a bit distracting to me. Rings are fine on a design, but I'd prefer that they be arranged with more flavor instead of as a small texture. Larger rings would definitely help with its composition. In your final submission, you'll have to remove that fire, if it's not part of the design.

This doesn't count as too soon after my last post does it? I mean it seems to be on the same page lol.

The most prominent changes: I changed the colour scheme to match Volkraken more; changed the tentacles to try and look more squid like, and as a result made the bubble helmet egg thing smaller to match the shorter, fatter body; tried to experiment with a shading style based on a quick glance at a tutorial for Sugimori style shading, and for some reason its left flappy wing thing is transparent, which I could not figure out why for the life of me - it's on the same layer as the other one o_O

Lacking a tablet and a steady hand, putting borders on this thing was a massive pain, ha. Ended up using a weird method involving layers. I'll probably just import it to Paint for that in the future, unless someone can point me towards the straight line/curved line equivalent in GIMP.

Here's a link to a version without the bubble although the flaws are more visible. Though now I've had a good chance to step away for a bit, I'm kind of wondering if I should go back to the body shape of the first iteration. I'd also like to be able to shade it properly so it doesn't just look like it's smitten with a Lanturn it has just spotted, lol. Though it vaguely reminds me of astronauts for some reason. I still have about 43? hours to try and fix that up, regardless. Any criticism is appreciated.

_

paintseagull, your baby is so cute and squishy and cuddly ahmg wow, such adorable.

frenzyplant, I swear to God I just saw your design move it's tentacle a bit. Personally though I feel it looks way too similar to Volkraken for a pre-evolution, even if the tentacles aren't webbed and are below the body instead of behind it.

The Steam Punk, that red is so bright wow, but I still quite like it. Even if I cannot unsee Cthulu. I'm not sure if the dots on its legs were intentionally to make it look like a smiley face, that may just be me.

Kingriolu, I think it has an interesting concept, but you should try to fill more space on the page instead of cramping it all into one spot. There's also the cropping tool available on most photo uploading sites. I'm not really sure why a squid would need a paintbrush for ink when it has several limbs for that anyway (though I guess that might look awkward, lol).

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting

So, I've pretty much redone my design while keeping true to my original concept. I'll probably make this a final submission sometime tomorrow, but I won't at this time just in case I feel like changing something at the last second. This time I sketched it by hand, inked/outlined it with my tablet, and colored it entirely in Pixlr (which is a pretty nifty online/browser based image editor; if you're looking for free image/drawing applications, I would definitely recommend it). For a sidenote, I just want to say that my intention for the flame tips was that they'd be a fairly permanent design aspect, much like Charmander's tail. How exactly they remain lit underwater is another subject, but perhaps the internal temperature of Volkrakid is enough to keep them going >.> More then anything else, I felt the flame tips were necessary in portraying the Fire Type within my design.

As always, comments are welcome!

Some comments of my own:
Quanyails: The originality of your design really shows through. I've found out that in CAP, some of the best designs make use of puns, and yours does so extremely well. One of my favorite designs this round, for sure. I still can't get over your insane pixel work.
V4LOVER: Yours looks very much like it could be a Volkraken prevo! I like how you used inspiration from real baby vampire squids, and your design seems to have a nice balance between looking like an identifiable animal and looking like a believable Pokemon. Good job with the colors and stylistic choices, as they mimic the original art very well and fit together nicely with it.
Integer Mova: For pixel art, you really did an awesome job with all of those curves! The personality of your design shows through a lot as well. Your balance between details and simplicity is very nice and I think the concept can hold its own. In future submissions, it might be nice for you to mess around with the width of your outlines, as I think it could highlight your good composition skills.
frenzyplant: It looks very similar to Volkraken, almost too similar... That said, your line work and coloring is very nice, and I'm sure you could execute a concept well if it had more variety between the evolution.
BlueFrog: I really like your coloring methods, and it compliments your cartoony style very well. It's from looking at work from users like you that made me inspired to try different types of linework, so I want to thank you for always providing quality work!
CBMeadow: I love you line quality and your hatching. The goofy style of your submission is very appealing, as I think it fits both the chosen abilities and the role of a prevo. It does look very similar to Volkraken, and while I wouldn't be opposed to more differences in an evolutionary line, you still made a pretty believable prevo :)
TheSteamPunk: Out of all of the submissions so far, I think you've best captured the bio-luminescence that Vampire squids have. I think the oversized ears lend very well to the idea of a prevo, though I still feel as if your design might be a tad bit too simple... It's hard to put my finger on, really. Still, good concept and I like your color choice!
Absolclaw: I think you made some nice choices while transitioning from your original design to your final submission! The mask around the eyes is quite nice, and I think it works really nicely underneath the bubble helmet. At first I questioned if the little guy looked all that unnerving, but then I figured if I myself was underwater and saw it, I'd still be pretty spooked! For lacking a tablet, you did an admirable job!
Ignus Unis: You still have time to resize your image! Also, if you decide to redo it, I'd recommend paying greater attention to your line quality; you have a few splotchy parts. Overall though, you managed to come up with a complete idea that is fairly balanced, and I do like how you experimented with different contours.
Paintseagull: Those textures... I'm jealous o.o Great job one the eyes; the easily look the most baby-like of the submissions. I like the proportions of the mantle, and I think you blended an "unnerving" false face well into the rest of the design. Your colors seem a bit muted, but then again I think the less intense colors transition well within the evolution line, as it gives the final stage more of an impact. You're another artist who's line art I couldn't help but examine, as I stared at it for a bit bit trying to glean some valuable lessons for myself.

Last edited:
http://i.imgur.com/GQm3fhr.jpg
Alright, it worked! :D

So, I was basically looking at the design for Volkraken, and I made this design of the pre-evolution. I wanted to make it look cute yet dangerous, so I gave it big eyes and I tried to make a smaller version of Volkraken's spiky tentacles. It sorta looks as if the pre-evo is sitting on the spike tentacles like a rug, though. Anyways, this design is going for a "cute yet dangerous" look, as I said before.

mod edit: image is too large

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay prevo-time :)
I finally finished the exams so I had time to work on a design:

Final Submission

It is pretty straightforward I think (and I'm actually surprised no more vampire/bat designs are made).
Since there isn't much time left, I already made a final submission but comments are always welcome.
I hope this one is eligible, because I don't want another malaconda-disaster ^^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)