CAP 23 CAP 23 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
WIP

Behold, Franken-dragon! Spirit Shackle's Japanese name and English Description refers to the user stitching the shadow to the ground, so i took the literal of it and created a dragon who's form is all around stitching. its just a sketch to its due for change at any point.

Wyvern > heraldry > ancient nobility > haunted castle > bedsheet ghost or something. Its tail shape could be configured to better fit several trapping moves (Wrap due to its length, Spirit Shackle with an arrow shape like traditional wyverns, Anchor Shot with a larger, anchor-like tip).

WIP
CAP2_300.jpg

I based this off of a Myan/Aztec amphitere or winged serpent. I made spikes on it to resemble arrows of off spirit shackle. I would like constructive criticism.

WIP

Three directions, one I particularly like. Cthulhu is often described as a dragon-like entity. Chains make Anchor Shot make sense, but due to the typing I assume the go-to move is Spirit Shackle. We have "shackles", though not necessary those feather arrows you see in the animation. CAP 23 is presumably bulky and physical (though even special moves would make sense on this guy), so the buff physique matches.

Other alternate directions:
  • Hydra skeleton possessed by an eldritch, supernatural entity... or yeah, I inadvertently made Nakarkos.
  • A small dragon's skin / carcass possessed by a cute spirit.

Aaah, I love how the art thread is going so far! It's great to see how artists are starting outside of the box on designing our ghostly dragon. :)

This is my contribution to the pot:

I was thinking more of ghostly ways of trapping someone that could be made draconic rather than starting with a dragon and giving it ghostly features. I ended up brainstorming a chameleon. It's a reptile that uses its long, ghostly tongue to ensnare enemies, and as a chameleon, it can appear ghostly. :)

I know the design has to be a little more interesting instead of just "spooky chameleon", and I'll see what I can do. :) Chameleons have stick-like limbs and bulgy eyes, so I was thinking to integrate that with a marionette, but... well, we'll see what I can design. XD I don't know how far I'll get with this one, honestly.

I've given some thoughts about some of the posted designs on Discord, so if you'd like feedback (or if you have feedback for me), leave a message for me there!
I really like how you looked at real life animals for a ghostly (and dragony) one
I'm not sure about a puppet theme tough, maybe a puppeteer theme will go better with it, but looking at its pose I think the classical "chained ghost" theme would suit him really well

Last edited by a moderator:

(I really hope this is the correct size.)

Hey everyone! My design is based off of a Yurei, a Japanese ghost characterized by a light-coloured kimono and droopy hands, and a Japanese dragon. This also has shoulder pads on its shoulders based on the shoulder pads of Japanese samurai armour, and the chains are a part of traditional Western ghosts.

I really rushed this drawing, because I'm going out of town tomorrow morning. If I move onto the next round, I'll fix up the shading and linework then scan it instead of taking a picture.

EDIT: Cool, it worked! Thank you so much EpicUmbreon! :D

What do you guys think? I'm aware that this is probably too anthro - I'll probably resketch it sometime down the road to alter the proportions. The basic idea is there, though. I wanted to draw something that could legitimately look scary stumbling towards you in the dungeons of a haunted castle, and I thought the chains tied in nicely with trapping theme of the CAP.

Critiques:

As of time of writing, the two designs in this thread that I feel have potential so far are Magistrum's Qilin and Felis' Nurikabe.

Magistrum: Not much to say with regards to this drawing so far; I don't really think there's anything that needs to be changed. It gives off a great legendary-dog feel and looks like it would fit in nicely with existing Pokemon of that class. A good color scheme should evoke its dual typing well. If you're still thinking about which muzzle design to use, I would personally lean towards 2.

Felis: This design looks like it would fit in perfectly with the Mew/Celebi/Jirachi class of 600 BST legendaries. I like the personality that its slanted, closed eyes give it, so I would stick to those for the final art. I would say that this is definitely a good direction to go in. Toying around a bit with its dimensions and shape to see what works wouldn't be a bad idea, but I feel that with the right color scheme, this shouldn't be too far off from a strong final design.

Last edited:

Give me a second while I just try to figure out how the image posting system works...

EDIT: Okay, I give up. I've been away from this forum for too long. Can someone guide me on how to link images from imgur onto this page?
I think I know what the trouble you're having is. You're trying to insert the link to the page in the image tags, but you need to insert the link directly to the image. You can achieve this by right clicking the picture you need to insert, choosing "Copy image address", and pasting that in. It should end in an image file extension (like .png)

Also, I think the concept of your design is neat and it's looking pretty good!
No problem at all Chomz !

Guess who's back. Back again.

WIP

Super rough draft of a hypnotic ghost dragon. It floats in a swirling spiral in order to hypnotize and trap its foes. The design is inspired by Chinese dragons, with bat wings and scythe-like forelegs for extra spooky points. Of course, everything is still subject to change.

WIP

Super rough draft of a hypnotic ghost dragon. It floats in a swirling spiral in order to hypnotize and trap its foes. The design is inspired by Chinese dragons, with bat wings and scythe-like forelegs for extra spooky points. Of course, everything is still subject to change.
Its actually pretty cool and creative, but unfortunately it gives off more of a psychic/dragon typing instead due to it being really pink and hypnosis being a psychic move.

WIP
I really like the concept of this. I think you should change the pink to a purple to make it more of a Ghost-type and add a gas border around it similar to Gastly.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MOD NOTE:
Please be wary of "gassy" stylistic effects, the Main Design at the end of the thread *MUST* have a clear outline without additional effects to be legal, so if you go for those sorts of design choices make sure an outline doesn't tank the aesthetic.

Obviously drafts and concept art are a little more lenient, but it is something you should be aware of particularly with a typing that lends itself to such "mystical" effects.

Thanks!

WIP – Update #2

No comments on my first WIP so I went ahead with the Cthulhu design since that's what appealed to me most. Made the design more Pokemon-ish with "cuter" (as much as an Ancient Old One could be) features and proportions.

Design Reasoning
Dragon
  • Cthulhu is visually part dragon. I assume most of you are familiar to who Cthulhu is. I also updated the design to seem more reptile-esque. Plus look at those cute little dragon wings.
Ghost
  • Skull head
  • Chains (Ghosts rattling chains, an imprisoned spirit, etc)
  • I made two of the face tentacles form a sort of Cartoon Villain Curly Black Mustache.
  • Cthulhu is dark, demonic, supernatural.
  • I admit it's not as "spectral" as the other submissions, but I hope you'll consider it.
Bulky
  • From the discussions, CAP 23's seems to be the bulky type so it's able to take hits while trapping. My design's proportions reflect that.
Spirit Shackle
  • Judging from the typing this is going to be the main trapping move. While the whole "arrows pinning shadows" part doesn't make sense here (but let's be honest, it doesn't make sense for Necturna either), there is the "Shackle" part of it here.
(Bonus) Anchor Shot
  • If we ever decide to also give it Anchor Shot, hey we've got the chains here already.

EDIT: I think I was supposed to edit my earlier post instead. Been a while since the last CAP I joined. Well at least the image size is correct.

Last edited:
WIP

There are already lots of amazing designs in this thread, so I am not sure why I am even trying, but here is my idea.

At first I wanted to make a lindworm but noticed that several other designs already have a long slender dragon with short limbs. I wanted to incorporate the trapping into the design by giving it a treasure chest, because dragons are known for protecting treasures so I could see this pokémon using a treasure chest to lure unsuspecting victims. Then it hit me - there is no Pokémon yet based on those popular treasure chest mimicking monsters. So here is my mimic lindworm. The rest of the body is pale since the attention of the victim is supposed to be drawn to the treasure chest. I still put a line of builders' hardware on the body to not make the treasure chest head look completely disjointed. The tail tip is anchor-shaped in case this thing gets Anchor Shot.

Feel free to criticize. Should I give it "ghostlier" colours like blue and purple (keep in mind ghost pokémon come in all sorts of colours)? Should I make the shape of the head less blocky and more organic or would that ruin the "mimicking" aspect? Should I add gems and crystals or would that make this simple design overly complicated?

Last edited:
WIP
Alright, I had an entirely new idea:

Yes, it's entirely based off of the word ribcage. I think this more fully embodies the concept of a Dragon/Ghost, and very clearly shows the trapping aspect. I'd love constructive criticism, as this is a basic sketch and I'm not super attached to any individual part of it.

Last edited:

Yes, it's entirely based off of the word ribcage. I think this more fully embodies the concept of a Dragon/Ghost, and very clearly shows the trapping aspect. I'd love constructive criticism, as this is a basic sketch and I'm not super attached to any individual part of it.
I get the ghost portion, but I think you should add more dragon aspects, as it just looks like a Ghost/Normal type right now.

Mova: As said, Baku have been done twice by psychic types in pokemon. Yours is an interesting take, but I struggle to see a dragon or ghost typing here.

Sgt. Moose: I'm really loving the egg idea and you've managed to make it look ghosty and draconic. The colour scheme is really cool too.

D4rker: It's cool-looking, but looks more feline than draconic.

HealnDeal: Congrats on finding a way to make a shibe work That said, I understand the "tacked-on" complaints, and the ghost elements are harder to see. Maybe add a more mystical effect?

Birkal: I love the idea and you've implemented it beautifully and effectively.

SilvanRaptor: I'm loving these unique takes on the idea.Maybe make it look a bit more spiritual though?

Hatfulofbomb: That's a great rendition of a trapping, Chinese dragon. It looks mystical enough that I don't think it needs to be more ghosty, but maybe you could do that anyway?

IglootheAlmighty: Love the idea. Maybe lengthen the snout a bit to look a bit more dracnic?

Quanyails: Great idea! That said, maybe make t a bit whispier to emphasise the ghost aspect.

Garbergy: Amazing! It really looks like a spooky, reptilian trapper! Maybe lengthen the snout a bit?

Morghulis: Cool idea. I think a helmet could ertainly look cool. Maybe make the tarnsition from body to necks a bit smoother and less sudden?

Reigaheres: I like the idea, but maybe make the beak a bit more vulture-ish and add some more ghostliness?

Magistrum: It's a cool design that I think fits, but it doesn't look that undead to me. It looks more like it has a mask than a skull. I still suggest showing some ribs or something.

Felis Licht: A unique idea that fits trapping well. I'm not seeing the typing well though. Maybe give it some scales and claws and make its tail whispier?

EpicUmbreon29: love the idea and you've implemented it well. I don't thin you need to change anything but if you want to, I'd work on the head to get the decorations there just right.

Darklatios92: An awesome idea that you've made look really cool. I don't think it needs to look less generic, but if you want to, it's up to you.

Jackii: Appropriately creepy and draconic and an obvious trapper. Once you've resized it and tidied it up a bit, it should be great.

Okamu: Cool idea. Maybe make the face more skull-like?

DatHeatmor: An awesome idea. Just add some details and it'll be awesome.

Mr. Spyda: A hilarious interpretation that you've made work well.

Menshay: A great, classic look. It really looks like an undead dragon associated with traps. Lovely.

Darmico: Looks cool. Maybe alter the mouth to be jaws?

thebangzats: Homestly, I like your bottom, left design the most. It looks the most draconic.

Letterman4: I see the ghost and trapping but it doesn't look very draconic to me. Maybe make it more reptillian?

Chomz: Looks awesome! I don' think it looks too anthro, but you could make it quadropedal if you want.

The Steam Punk: Amazing! I can see why some people will think it looks more psychic than ghost. Maybe make it whispier?

Durengardnit: Honestly I think this is a really cool idea and implemented well. But maybe make it a bit more ghosty?

Hatfulobomb: I agree that as cool as it is, it needs to be more draconic. Maybe alter the skull a bit?

WIP – Update #2

No comments on my first WIP so I went ahead with the Cthulhu design since that's what appealed to me most. Made the design more Pokemon-ish with "cuter" (as much as an Ancient Old One could be) features and proportions.

Design Reasoning
Dragon
  • Cthulhu is visually part dragon. I assume most of you are familiar to who Cthulhu is. I also updated the design to seem more reptile-esque. Plus look at those cute little dragon wings.
Ghost
  • Skull head
  • Chains (Ghosts rattling chains, an imprisoned spirit, etc)
  • I made two of the face tentacles form a sort of Cartoon Villain Curly Black Mustache.
  • Cthulhu is dark, demonic, supernatural.
  • I admit it's not as "spectral" as the other submissions, but I hope you'll consider it.
Bulky
  • From the discussions, CAP 23's seems to be the bulky type so it's able to take hits while trapping. My design's proportions reflect that.
Spirit Shackle
  • Judging from the typing this is going to be the main trapping move. While the whole "arrows pinning shadows" part doesn't make sense here (but let's be honest, it doesn't make sense for Necturna either), there is the "Shackle" part of it here.
(Bonus) Anchor Shot
  • If we ever decide to also give it Anchor Shot, hey we've got the chains here already.
This is my favourite design so far. It's niche, and really, really fits the flavour of trapping moves - Spirit Shackle, feathers or otherwise, and doubling up with the Ghost-wise flavour. It also looks very physical.

Only thing I might add is perhaps throw some gemstones into it's design, perhaps ripped straight from Mega Sableeye model? As a Ghost/Dark type with Magic Bounce, Wisp and Knock Off, it's quite a good counter to the typing. Perhaps by having it as part of the chains/manacles in order to show off it's bulk and that it's some eldritch ward to keep everyone safe from it's true power. Or something I dunno.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

It's a tapeworm. :D

I remembered that one of my unused concepts for CAP 21 was a tapeworm, and I thought that the idea actually makes a lot more sense for this CAP! I've also given my first chameleon design a ghostly ridge and wisps on its arm joints, but I didn't feel it was as significant a change to submit. I'll proceed with one of the two designs (or maybe something completely different) depending on feedback and the future results of the CAP process. :)

Here's some feedback for the people I couldn't/didn't get to in real-time on Discord:

HatfulofBomb: I like your first design better. The second is currently a bit too literal for my liking, but it definitely has potential with a few tweaks!
Felis Licht: I like your concept, but there's a lot of "tell, not show" in the design. I wouldn't be able to guess the concept unless you explained it to me. Can you make the "walling" portion more evident?
Rapti: What contributes to a puppeteer theme? I can't imagine anything specific to a puppeteer besides the puppet itself. :S

A big thanks to KnightsofCydonia, Reigaheres, and Sereg for all of the feedback you've been giving artists!

Last edited:
The tapeworm is great! It can certainly work for this. Maybe make the typing clearer though, by making its face more draconic and its tail more ghosty.

Magistrum Loving your stuff as always. I look forward to seeing the colored version.

HatfulofBomb Your new design is a fascinating visual pun, but maybe you could add horns to make the mon look more draconic.

Quanyails The parasitic nature of the tapewyrm fits Ghost/Dragon much more than Rock/Poison. What kind of color scheme did you have in mind?

HeaLnDeaL nice meme. However, the Shib looks like it's wearing a dragon costume its owner bought from a Halloween store, rather than a pelt it hunted on its own. Good timing for the season, though.

WIP 2
CAP300.JPG

Second draft with changing the medium and the shading. I also added an arrow like anchor tail like many others. Finally I lowered the eyes and added arrow shaped teeth. again I would like constructive criticism about this design and how it compares to WIP 1

What contributes to a puppeteer theme? I can't imagine anything specific to a puppeteer besides the puppet itself. :S
the most important part of a puppeteer design is the hands, like this or this big hands whether disembodied of simply coloured to draw attention to them are really creepy which suits a ghost, the fact that a puppeteer has a puppet bound to it is also evocative of how CAP 23 is based around trapping
also strings are also used to trap people in anime if you wanna go that way :P

your chameleon has some nice hands that if emphasized either by markings, colouring, giving it a puppet handle or strings coming directly out of it's fingertips could really improve on the whole "trapping ghost" theme

WIP

I like it, but it needs to be more draconic, also the lock is a bit plain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)