CAP 23 CAP 23 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

This is version 2 of my hypno-dragon. I used a darker, more ghostly color scheme of black and blue, with ghostly flames as decoration. The pattern on the body is supposed to look like a skeletal spine and ribs, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it like this. Maybe I'll add chains wrapped around the body instead, or cracks in the black skin showing more blue flame underneath. I'm also considering adding the swirly eye from my previous design or making the head skeletal. There are a few different directions this design could go.

WIP

I updated my first design a bit! Probably the biggest change is that I got rid of the awkward segments of exposed bones (although I kept the skeletal tail because I liked that). Instead I gave it a ribcage jacket and some outside vertebrate. I didn't cover the whole thing in bones because I wanted to keep it a bit more simple.
Other than that, I changed up the head to make it look a bit less random, especially with regards to the back half. The random curves have been replaced with horns (a bit more functionality for trying to hunt and trap something, I suppose), and the top half of its skull is exposed. The design on the back of its skull is the cuneiform symbol for the mythological figure it was inspired by (or for mountain). Hopefully soon I can get digital art of this going, along with better shading and texture.

Back again. man, those 640x640 dimensions are killing me.

but yeah, heres muh Shoggoth Dragon!

When i saw the Dragon/Ghost typing my mind jumped IMMEDIATELY to cthulhu, but cthulhu has kind of been over done in pop culture. However, I still wanted to draw inspiration from the madness inducing creatures of Lovecraft, and what is more Gastly than a shoggoth? (pun intended ;P) Whether they get trapped by fear, madness, or physically restrained by the many tentacles, this creature is all about disabling the opponent and taking full advantage of their immobilization.

Here's the Ghost/Dragon type design I made. I know it looks similar to the Eon Duo and Kitsunoh but they weren't even used in the design at all. The ectoplasm on the tip of its tail and on its hands is what it will use for the trapping moves it will use. The uncolored piranha thing is not part of the design at all.

MOD EDIT: Attachment removed. Please see the OP rules pertaining to included art.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

New shib design. Very sadly, it is less of a sweet shib and is instead more aggressive (not sure how I feel about that). Still unsure on a bunch of things. Still prolly going to go under radical changes and stuff. Thanks to Quanyails and SilvanRaptor for suggestions on PS with the mask. Might remove the ghost spikes on the tail and add a new ghost dragon tail, idk. I might try to get some new, better integrated pelt elements too... Lots of room for chances.

I'll try to leave comments for others' art in my next update : )

New shib design. Very sadly, it is less of a sweet shib and is instead more aggressive (not sure how I feel about that). Still unsure on a bunch of things. Still prolly going to go under radical changes and stuff. Thanks to Quanyails and SilvanRaptor for suggestions on PS with the mask. Might remove the ghost spikes on the tail and add a new ghost dragon tail, idk. I might try to get some new, better integrated pelt elements too... Lots of room for chances.

I think it works better as an aggressive shib. Though the other one was more cute It does not entirely look like a frightening ghost dragon type. Really good job though.

Those light blue see through things kinda look too much like ice, but thats just my take on it.

Bigger edit: nvm, i accept teh ectoplasm berry

Last edited:
Garb, the blue claws and spikes in HeaL's Shib are likely supposed to be a form of ectoplasm, which is frequently depicted with a blue color in fiction land. What if said ectoplasm tastes like a blue-colored, Berry-flavored ice cream?

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Thanks to BlueDogXL, SilvanRaptor, ShunosaurusLii, and Darquezze, I've decided on this color palette for the tapeworm. :)

In addition, made changes to the chameleon's lineart and created a preliminary color palette for it. Here's a thumbnail to the full-sized drawing so far.

I've given the design white hands and "strings" (thank you for the clarification, Rapti c:). I feel, though, it still comes across as "spooky chameleon" instead of something more interesting, so I'm leaning toward going with tapewyrm as my final submission. Still! Feedback on either design is appreciated.

Edit: Okay, I'll work on the chameleon more. :P Here are some color schemes for it.

Last edited:

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
In addition, made changes to the chameleon's lineart and created a preliminary color palette for it. Here's a thumbnail to the full-sized drawing so far.

I've given the design white hands and "strings" (thank you for the clarification, Rapti c:). I feel, though, it still comes across as "spooky chameleon" instead of something more interesting, so I'm leaning toward going with tapewyrm as my final submission. Still! Feedback on either design is appreciated.
Giving it a more muted color scheme could give it more of a ghostly look.

Last edited:

epicparker

Banned deucer.
WIP

Wow Art Submissions already!? So I came up with the concept the other day of like a skeleton dude piloting a chinese dragon costume, and then as I made sketches I realized it kinda had a creepy clown vibe, so now I'd like to indroduce:

Skeleton-Guy-In-A-Clown-Dragon-Costume

http://imgur.com/a/17RmY
(I feel like if I try to add the image it'll go horribly wrong so here's a link for now.)

Anyway, it's just sketches for now (ignore the middle one it's bad). Better, actual art is coming soon. Suggestions are very welcome so please give love/hate/whatever and I plan to give some advice and such soon (now doesn't work well, sorry - but these all look real good so far). Thanks!

Here's an early idea I've wanted to get some feedback on. My main concern is the CAP being physically tuned, does this design really scream special attacker? I'll be posting feedback soon!

WIP

Wow Art Submissions already!? So I came up with the concept the other day of like a skeleton dude piloting a chinese dragon costume, and then as I made sketches I realized it kinda had a creepy clown vibe, so now I'd like to indroduce:

Skeleton-Guy-In-A-Clown-Dragon-Costume

http://imgur.com/a/17RmY
(I feel like if I try to add the image it'll go horribly wrong so here's a link for now.)

Anyway, it's just sketches for now (ignore the middle one it's bad). Better, actual art is coming soon. Suggestions are very welcome so please give love/hate/whatever and I plan to give some advice and such soon (now doesn't work well, sorry - but these all look real good so far). Thanks!
Hm.
I really like the indirect Dragon-type quality of the Chinese-dragon costume. It seperates itself from the other art subs that way. It's really creative, and I'd like to see a fleshed-out version, hopefully capitalizing more on the dragon costume than the skeleton. Heck, a haunted Chinese-dragon costume would even be pretty great.

I'm not an artist, so I'm jus t going give my feed back as a voter. I wish I could be more technical. You guys are not making this easy. Stop being such awesome artists or something. Choosing even just a handful will be hard.

Normal
I like the color and idea, but Im getting more of a Ghost/Ground typing.
The gravestone spines are ingenious, but they seem to be what's confusing the typing for me. It relays the bullies of 23 perfectly. Great work!

D4rk3r
I like ghost flame idea. Maybe if it's pose was levitating? Is love the color composition on this one. Great work!

DarkLatias92
As my wife puts it, "Dim down the beard of doom." Epic concept. Incredibly novel!
The flames cover too much of the shadow monster's form. Spefically around the face. But this haunted gravestone hits all kinds of nostalgia!

darmico
This one is interesting because pterodactyl with Harpoon tail. But it's head is confusing me as to where it's looking. I get the undead winged serpent motif. Maybe hone its silhouette more.

DatHeatmor
I like the playful nature of this guy. Though I'm not sure why it's broken up into segments. I can see it using it's flappy cloth arms to bind and constrict it's prey.
Haunted Dragon plush is a great idea!

EpicUmbreon29
I like this Oroboros concept. I liked the head shape on your first wip . I'd like to see another angle to better see the head's full outline. It's a serpent with its bones on the outside. I dig it. Maybe give that tail more detail?

Felis Licht
Super cute. It has a Cheshire Cat feel to it. Though it doesn't really shout Dragon/Ghost. Maybe if the body was longer, the center right concept image looks the best of the bunch.

Garbagery
This image is epic. I love the concept of rattling chains and locks. Making a Dragon out of haunted chains is certainly among the top concepts here and this image shows it off well. Great work!

HatfulofBomb
This concept works a lot better. I'll suggest the head be made more reptilian and ribs a little more hefty. But this idea is great!

HeaLnDeaL
This concept seems a little complicated. I like the use of a Shibu. But consider this fully implies dogs exist in the Pokémon world.
It's a dragon ghost that possesses dogs. I'm not sure why dogs specifically though.

Igloo the Almighty
I'm not sure what's happening with the two sections. Another Oroboros theme, which is cool. But, is it pulling itself apart? Or is it just nibbling it's tail because it enjoys that?

Magistrum
I like this concept. Mask 2 is my favorite. Though a detail like that could vary from mon to mon like a Spinda's spots

Menshay
This a sweet design. The touch on the tail is great. Vampire Masquerade Dragon Bat is epic. The chains may not be needed.

Morghulis
This is a cool design. But it's become crowded. It's already a Ghostly Dragon. Hydra works with the trapping theme. And it's a Hydra with heads missing and also looks like a chariot. This may come together with more development. But it seems complicated as presented here

Mova
This is certainly outside the box. But it doesn't come across as either a Ghost nor a Dragon.
The tail looks a bit like Pacman. Maybe if that tail was more serpentine? I like where this can go. A good start.

Mr Spyda
This comes off as backwards. Maybe if it was a shadow monster that hides under empty boxes and lures things into its the trap.

Quanyails
I liked the chameleon idea better. But if your commited to your Tapewyrm. I'll echo others and say the typing isn't fully clear.
Your newest Chamekein sketch looks great. This new ribbons don't anything though. It's vestigial legs seem like an extra detail you could leave off.

Reigaheres
Nice Quetzalcoatl design. Very flavorful. The color is very somber. I'd like to get an idea of the scale your going for. Is this Arbok size or Rayquaza size?

Sgt.Moose
This little guy is super cute. Great color palette and it invokes 23's bulky-ness. Great work.

SilvanRaptor
Shogath mon is epic and I can't wait to see its full color art.

thebangzats
I like this because it seems to gather all of the themes together in one concept. Very well done. Maybe if you could work on a few variations on its pose. I wish I had more to say. This already seems like a compled submission.

Durengardnit
I love this concept a lot and I can't wait to see how you develope it further. Great work!

The Steam Punk
I love how playful this feels. I like this new color scheme. Great work!

Chomz
He looks so sad. I like where this is going. Maybe if the body was more translucent and it's tail was tha ball chain? Just an idea. Very good work. I think this would be very creepy if I came scuttling down a dungeon hallway!

letterman4
This haunted Kimono/Armor idea has serious potential. Though the visible ghostly character sorta distracts from that. Perhaps an empty suit of haunted armor with a dragon themed look?

epicparker
This idea is perhaps the best I've seen. Very original and very flavorful. I love it! A sense of scale may be important with this idea. How big will the costume be?

11bug
This little guys is cute, but he seems like the pre-evolution of the 23 concept to me. I like this cauldron idea. Does it evolve into one of those smoking dragon statues?

SilvanRaptor Doran Dragon! So good to see you around. I'm a huge fan of Shoggoth dragon right now, great idea and amazing execution. I'm still trying to figure out what those trailing discs are at the bottom, but in any case, you have my support! Keep at it, I really want to sprite that thing!

thebangzats Huge fan too, also a rock solid concept that I really look forward to see in / turn into sprite form. I hope you'll stay on for future CAPs, because you're churning out some top-quality stuff!

HatfulofBomb I actually like this! Backing above commenter's suggestion that you should try a more draconic-shaped skull, right now it could still pass off easily as a pure-Ghost type. But otherwise, props to how elegantly you weaved in the trapping concept with the Ghost type.

WIP
https://m.imgur.com/KBqtnI6
link because i couldn't get the image up

Everyone, look out! It's a one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater!

i drew this with my finger on a phone screen pls don't eat me

I tried to keep the design simple, while also having just enough complexity to keep it from being dull. I went with a winged serpent design, but then I also mixed in the classic monster after I thought about it. After all, the song never does mention any other details.

Some other notes:

It has false eyes, to trick other mons into thinking it's awake when it isn't

It has a single purple line going down the center of its back, but it starts to twist around when it gets closer to the tail, before ending in a spin of the tail itself. This is to imply coiling around, and thusly trapping the victims.

Its tail is really long. This is partially because of it being based on a wisp of sorts (which also can have long tails), and partially due to the moves it might be using. Spirit Shackle could make the tail a drawstring attached to its wings, Anchor Shot could make it stretch out like the top of an anchor, and it could spin its tail around to conjure up a Fire Spin, Whirlpool, or Sand Tomb. Infestation... well, it's a monster, it could have bugs under its skin.

It has three purple triangles on the line, those are not extra horns, they are just markings.

WIP
https://m.imgur.com/KBqtnI6
link because i couldn't get the image up

Everyone, look out! It's a one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater!

i drew this with my finger on a phone screen pls don't eat me

I tried to keep the design simple, while also having just enough complexity to keep it from being dull. I went with a winged serpent design, but then I also mixed in the classic monster after I thought about it. After all, the song never does mention any other details.

Some other notes:

It has false eyes, to trick other mons into thinking it's awake when it isn't

It has a single purple line going down the center of its back, but it starts to twist around when it gets closer to the tail, before ending in a spin of the tail itself. This is to imply coiling around, and thusly trapping the victims.

Its tail is really long. This is partially because of it being based on a wisp of sorts (which also can have long tails), and partially due to the moves it might be using. Spirit Shackle could make the tail a drawstring attached to its wings, Anchor Shot could make it stretch out like the top of an anchor, and it could spin its tail around to conjure up a Fire Spin, Whirlpool, or Sand Tomb. Infestation... well, it's a monster, it could have bugs under its skin.

It has three purple triangles on the line, those are not extra horns, they are just markings.
Gonna judge it real quick, it gives off more of a psychic/flying than a ghost/dragon. Its too light and bright to be considered as a ghost, try maybe making thise whiter bits probably darker. Also those feathery wings seem to be giving off more of a flying type vibe, possibly making them bat like or making the feathers sharper or something else akin to a dragons wings can help it be more ghost/dragon, eitherway nice design

also to put it on smogon press this button

Then paste the picture. Make SURE to use the image in new tab link, not the direct imgur one.
Formatted like this http://example/eNeSiSw.png
not the direct imgur.com one (it has to end with either a jpg, png, gif etc)

Last edited:
UPDATE YAY

added yellow tips and i think it's fair to make an update, it looks TONS different from my original one (spikier, too much chain, no body, weird hands

feedback pls
Supporting material

if u guys have any feedback i'd be appreciated

theoretical way this mon works
we could do some dhelmise stuff and make it that the skull and the claws are the actual body while the massive handcuffs and rings are just things it collected
Or the chains grow as it grows older, as the things it digests go all towards it's chain body

edit: Im testing out other versions of this one
[/hide][/hide]

Last edited:
UPDATE

I changed some things based on Garbagery's suggestions, and really liked the results. I did keep some of the shapes of "feathers" on there though, as I liked how it looked. Also, removed the line from the horn to the eye, because I felt the false eye filled the space enough already.

WIP

Thanks to all for the constructive criticism! I'm going to put the lineart here. Here's an updated lineart with a more draconic skull and an ornate lock. The wings are a maybe, I'm worried that they might distract too much from the original concept.

EDIT: Here's some supporting artwork in a more dynamic pose:
http://imgur.com/5Gnf3qN

Last edited:
WIP – Update #3

Thank you all for the kind words :D. As per some of your suggestions and some thinking of my own, I made a few changes:
  • The skull felt like a tacked-on addition, so I went with a regular ol' Cthulhu head. It has the added bonus of looking a bit more draconic imo.
  • The chains are now not just rusty iron chains, but imbued with runic enchantments to siphon the Ancient One's power.
  • Because I don't want a visual clutter of too many fancy runic shackles, I removed the shackles on the legs.

Now that I've got a little more free time I can also start commenting on the other submissions, namely the ones that piques my interest.

Birkal
Concept-wise, I like it. Execution wise I would say that less is more, in that you don't have to have a ton of tombstones on the back else it looks more landscape than Pokemon body part. You could probably find some good references for monster body types and work from there.

epicparker
If drawn right, it has the potential to be the best of the lot! I like the whole "ghost masquerading as a dragon" angle. I would suggest keeping the dragon body short (look at Drampa), and focus on the head. Even if the ghost is just holding up the head, that's pretty cool already.

Quanyails
Honestly I liked the Chameleon more xD I wish you'd experiment with it more. The tapewyrm isn't bad, maybe it's just that the body isn't all that interesting. What do you think about putting the back half of the body into something? Like a jar, or a fleshy growth, or a shell – basically anything to improve the silhouette.

SilvanRaptor
Ancient Ones, unite! I like everything overall. My only comment would be that everything seems squished and compact, the silhouette becomes less interesting. Your first sketch was miles better (in terms of silhouette) where each tentacle was clearly defined.

WIP
here we have a kind of snake-fox? snakes wrap around stuff, will-o'-wisps tend to appear over swamps n bogs which you can get stuck in, and foxes give that general spirit-ghost trickster vibe (and are also associated with fire)

snake fox 2.0, here to lure you to its swamp with its tail light and then death-hug you

some changes to maybe make:
- change the markings to be less jagged since i changed the ears to horns, more single-point stuff?
- position legs farther back in order to make longer body?
- make claws bigger?
- figure out color scheme (not a maybe obvs)

When i saw the Dragon/Ghost typing my mind jumped IMMEDIATELY to cthulhu, but cthulhu has kind of been over done in pop culture. However, I still wanted to draw inspiration from the madness inducing creatures of Lovecraft, and what is more Gastly than a shoggoth? (pun intended ;P) Whether they get trapped by fear, madness, or physically restrained by the many tentacles, this creature is all about disabling the opponent and taking full advantage of their immobilization.
Neat! Great concept and execution, if I were to criticize anything I'd say the chains are little too cartoony, also maybe put one of the tentacle's eyes on the head somewhere? (maybe on this last one, it looks fine as it is)
Edit: Okay, I'll work on the chameleon more. :P Here are some color schemes for it.
I like for the 4th pallete, is more "pokemon ghostly"
Thanks to all for the constructive criticism! I'm going to put the lineart here and then edit this post so I don't spam too much. Here's an updated lineart with a more draconic skull and an ornate lock. The wings are a maybe, I'm worried that they might distract too much from the original concept.
I think you can get away with the wings if you give the inside of the ribcage the right coloration

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
Reigaheres
Nice Quetzalcoatl design. Very flavorful. The color is very somber. I'd like to get an idea of the scale your going for. Is this Arbok size or Rayquaza size?
Likely around the length of Milotic, the size will probably be cleared up with whatever I do for supporting material :^J

Current color scheme for vulture!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)