CAP 24 CAP 24 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Early concept of a Woodsman. Will certainly need refining before anything is said and done but I hope the premise is clear.

Modedit: Please embed images directly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Update:

Just trying on some flats along with a few minor tweaks on the lineart. Nothing too drastic, just taking away from the natural color of the Adenum's light green caudex and a dash of ochre for the crystal parts.
BARABOY hmm right now the cactus parts seem tacked-on. Perhaps try to put some more elements on the body -- i.e. putting cactus spikes on the thighs a-la garchomp, incorporating cactus flowers, etc. whatever works.

Birkal the oasis take is pretty interesting, however its current look seems to lack some typing cues. Oases seem to have lush vegetation crowding on its edges; you might wanna try that along with the palm trees.

Drew hmm like you said, it would be hard to separate from reiga's design as it is. Since you're on the idea of making an armadillo, maybe you could try a fairy armadillo as a base? It might give you a different silhouette and some more design choices to work with.

Durengardnit IMO the posh lady has more potential. Although, maybe it could use a bigger lithops flower to serve as a focal point?

eclecticneon hmm right now there is too much going on with your design. While the fairy wings is an interesting take that separates it a bit from the current rodent designs, the foliage on the body makes it too cluttery. IMO tone down the number of leaves and grass edges (like, just a couple blades of grass on the limbs, simplefied leaves on the tail, etc.) Sometimes less is more!

Felis Licht yeah I'm all for the transparency of the whole veil. That kinda helps give it a graceful fairy vibe as well as detracting itself from being a toxapex clone silhouette-wise.

FriesforNapkins hmm the face is developed and has personality but I'm not sure about the way the neck bends and turns. The drum hump seems a bit tacked-on too. Perhaps some fur or an additional design element could help transition it better?

Golurkyourself she's MAJESTHICC. I prefer this more than your previous 2 WIPs.

Gravity Monkey I kinda agree with paintseagull on this one -- the autumn-colored bushes aren't doing much apart from being the same tone as the wooden parts. However I can actually see potential on the hourglass tidbit. (something something pixie dust hourglass body) Your call though.

HatfulofBomb cactus camel is a nice idea, and its feet forming a flowerpot is a great quirk too. Idk if the pinkish fur is enough to exude a fairy vibe tho.

nov quite an interesting design. A minor nitpick, but I think it will be hard for those thin legs to support the big head tho, haha.

Plazzap I think the feather dusters could use a little less detail, but it kind of gives a contrast to the simpler parts of the design, so i'm kinda unsure.

Wulfanator72 thornybear a cute! Altho, IMO the pink seems a bit too saturated, haha. It kinda gives a fruity look tho so idk

YourFavDalmatian cute cactus seems to be built for bullying LUL. Not a fan of the thin cactus spikes tho. Maybe the recurring pink/yellow diamonds could work as the thorns? Those seem to have more potential IMO.

paintseagull

pink wingull
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP, Jester Hyena

Another idea! Not giving up on the jackalope, I just thought of this guy too and wanted to bring it to life! Gives me more options when abilities and stats are decided. The leaf-hat and leaf-collar are inspired by Aloe leaves.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

I've been working on and changing dandy lion since the last post. For a while, I was paralyzed on whether to go with 2 or 3 in my last post, since by my count, the preferences were neck-and-neck. ._. I ended up choosing using an external factor, and I'm still not sure whether the choice was right.

I've gotten so much helpful feedback. ^_^ Thanks to 2spoopy4u, Canis_Majoris, Falchion, FellfromtheSky, friesfornapkins, Mova, Okamu, paintseagull, Plazzap, Reviloja753, S.Court, Sunfished, Zephias, and anyone else I've forgotten to mention! Barring significant protest on the direction the design is going, I'll be working on a final submission using this lineart and color palette.

• D4rk3r: I like how cute yet intimidating your design can be, and the concept of fairy circles is a fitting one for this CAP. :) I've seen your more recent drawings on the Discord server, and I like the colors that you're using.
  • Felis Licht: Cute! I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with the design. I'd probably have a second design on hand, though, since this CAP could go in a heavier direction.
  • Wulfanator72: I saw the updated version of your prickly pear bear! I think it's a fun second theme to add to your design, and I think it's a necessary one. The version you have in the thread is well-designed but a bit ordinary. I look forward to seeing an updated post from you!
  • Sgt.Moose: I've seen your wine sheep (goat?) on Discord. :) I think it's a fun way to invoke Fairy typing, and I think you can get away with it. I think the body of the sheep (goat?) could use some complexity, as it was pretty uniform last time I checked.
  • Okamu: I think the grape design could do with an additional element and/or otherwise some complexity to make it look "fully-evolved". The jerboa's tail is really interesting, so I would exaggerate that a lot more in contrast to the more mundane body.
  • Spectator_Ion: I think the design is going in a good direction as it is. :) I wouldn't change anything in particular and polish what you have. It's great if the 'mon gets Flying-type coverage.
  • Plazzap: I love the concept, and I think you've got a really good design going. :) I hope to see colors on it soon!
  • DatHeatmor: I've told you this already, but your starfruit golem concept is really creative and well-designed for this CAP. :) I'd like to see it submitted!
  • Pipotchi: The :> face and bow works really nicely for Fairy without using Fairy colors. :D I think your design is very creative and an excellent fit for this CAP. Nicely done! ^_^
  • ZardX: Your design comes off more as Bug than Grass to me. The body looking like chitin and being blue probably helps with that impression. I'd at least change the eyes and colors. Also, make sure to read the rules when submitting your design!
  • Professor Mesquite: I can't the fennec fox with the design in the thread. It lacks the large ears, a snout, legs with joints, or a tail that's separate from the body. Adding those features could help draw out the fox element. :T Maybe you could start with the fox and add sunflower elements to it, instead of the other way around?
  • Gravity Monkey: I think other people will require a bit of convincing for your design to be thought of as Grass/Fairy. Maybe mossier colors on the fluff would help it look aged. I think the clock design is interesting, as long as it doesn't look too robotic. :) Sand is a secondary element for this CAP, I should emphasize.
  • paintseagull: Agh, you have two very nice designs. @_@ I like the bunny more, but I think the hyena is a better fit for the CAP. What if you add some of the bunny's colors to the hyena? I've already told you this on Discord, but I love the expression you gave the hyena! :D Someone on Discord mentioned the legs being odd, and I think making it more anatomically accurate would help. :)
  • nov: Ooh, your design looks quite alien to me. Usually designs like that in Pokemon are more Psychic than Fairy, but that's subjective. I would make the design more familiar, or at least let us get a better sense of its face. :)
  • HatofulBomb: I prefer the camel! :D It's cute and charming and a good fit for what has been proposed for this CAP.
  • Baraboy: The jackalope could benefit with some design on the body itself. The horns and tail are a good start, but they currently feel added to a regular rabbit. How else could you make the rabbit more fanciful?
  • Mova: I think your design is fine as a Fairy-type in terms of cuteness. Maybe a tad more complexity, but it's not breaking. I think it doesn't stand out as much as some other designs, though. :T Maybe a spiky ruff or claws could help, or another theme...
  • Sunfished: I said I liked the spiky grassy head in Discord, since I thought it resembled hair. I also like the rightmost head. :) I was thinking that the white spots could be yellow, like a giraffe. Maybe white spots on the body? I like the direction you're going with your design! Giraffes and supermodels fit well together.
  • Birkal: I think the oasis part of the 'mon would benefit from being integrated onto the turtle limbs better. I also liked the idea of getting weird by emphasizing the mirage element of the 'mon. That could differentiate it from Torterra, conceptually. :) I know your design is being worked on, so I'm interested in seeing it develop. :)
  • Durengardit: Now that I think about it, you could go with another primary theme for your 'mon and use lithops as a pattern or secondary theme. I'm not really feeling anything cohesive from your latest designs. ^^;
  • 11bug: I feel like this is something that could've been submitted for Malaconda. I get where the Fairy typing is coming from, but Pokemon Fairy-types do tend to be more cutesy and elegant in aesthetic. >.<

WIP

I went with the lady design since everyone preferred that. Made it clearer that the fans are derived from flower petals and made the body more waifu-like hourglass-shaped. The Lithops flower on its head is shaped like a sun hat. My only justification for sandstorm is that Lithops is a desert plant...

Lithops come in many different colours, so I have been messing around with several colour palettes in GIMP. I apologize if any of them are too saturated or uncomfortable on the eyes, I will tone down the hues once I have decided on a palette. I could also try one with a brown body but then it would look like a Ground or Rock type instead of Grass/Fairy.

EDIT:
Because there haven't been that many posts since my last one, I decided to just edit this post. The hood thing didn't work out so I got rid of it and turned the two thick Lithops leaves into a shawl/boa. Also added side and back views that I will probably keep as supplementary material. I am not sure yet on the colour of the flower, bouncing between yellow, white and pink (because Fairy).

Many thanks to S.Court, paintseagull and especially Friesfornapkins for feedback on the design and the colouration.

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
WIP

So. I did a 180° with my desing and started form scratch again, but this time with mysticism, sand, sun and time in my mind. And that what I came with. It's still a really, really rough sketch, but it gives the general idea of the thing.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Yilx Just a thought, but maybe try drawing it in a happier mood? The design itself is great, I just wish the waifu was happy :D
Look if any plant waifu is gonna be tsundere it's gonna be the cactus, just accept it

Also the design is looking very nice so far, I like it

WIP

Hello again! So I accidentally made a lot of progress without checking this thread for any feedback so for those who did respond to my first post thank you so much I am working on changing the design with your comments in mind: I am working on a larger body to make it seem more fully evolved and less Cacnea-like.

However, I felt that I needed to post this for two reasons. This version is much cleaner and more refined so those who may not have understood what I was going for through all the previous clutter now have a better view of my design. Secondly, the first version was brightly colored with some generic greens and pinks and I thought it wasn't very fitting of the dry, suffocating heat of the desert. So I messed around with some different colors namely more pastel-like greens and pinks. If anyone has any feedback of color suggestions I am very open to ideas.

Thanks again to all who have already given feedback!

WIP
https://orig00.deviantart.net/1e47/f/2018/078/0/d/cap24entrywip_by_jumbled_bastard-dc6ehap.png
Based on the mutated variety of moon cacti, matured colocynth fruit and flower/vines, magic carpet from one of the stories of one thousand and one nights, djinni (Qareen) and Sultans. Yes, Disney's Aladdin has already been brought up in discord

I may go for another design if inspiration strikes, though I'll work on some references for this and clean up the picture once I've finished tweaking with it. It can even fold the carpet behind it so that it looks like its just sittin' smug in a chair

Many thanks goes to Yilx, Sunfished, Modeling Clay for their input on this guy.

Modedit: Image is above OP size limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
WIP

I had a lot more trouble with the stamens than I thought. ^^; While fallugia have several stamens I didn't want to make it too complex, so to keep my design simple I gave it only 6 and made the feathers on it more pronounced to make up for it. And to avoid it looking too much like Toxapex I arranged the veil to be less rounded (hopefully it doesn't look too similar). Its feathery stamens create a veil to not only shade it in the sun, but also keep sand from hitting it in sandstorms.
Was kinda thinking of making the veil lavender instead but idk. If there's no other things to edit, I'll probably be making this my final design.

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
WIP

the boy is back and he's all cleaned up! I decided to touch up the first sketch, as a Mystical-Golem-Starfruit-Acacia-Tree thing. Acacia trees were included in the design because they fit in a harsh sunny enviroment. Legs may need overall improvement as said by Discord fellows, but tell me what you think right now.

WIP

Welp, since the polls seem to be in favour of Drought, I modified my design to make it look more
Err..... suitable for drought. More art coming this way.

Concept art (again)

Last edited:

big design change. btw, he's a big boy. imgur.com/lZ8r03h.png size comparison to average person

Last edited:
WIP

Alternative design in case Drought wins. It's a Criosphinx - a sphinx with the head of a ram - whose horns are shaped like an Egyptian solar disk and carry a lotus flower in place of said disk, from which it fires its special attacks.

Special thanks to Sun, Salient, Pip, Magistrum, Golurkyourself, and Quanyails on the Discord for helping me fix up this design!

3/23 EDIT: Made some changes thanks to the Discord, including a sun-disk in place of the flower and replacing the blue with a nice red like Tapu Bulu. Hopefully this looks a bit better!

Last edited:
To: Sgt. Moose
I like your design, but currently the typing isn’t very obvious by the design. This will probably change when color is added, but it currently has the feeling of a steel or steel/grass type mon. Possibly find a way to make this sheep mon cuter/softer to add fairy type? Just some advice.

Yilx

Sad
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Probably sticking with this until stats kick in.

Some silly supporting art:

"Size"
"999 Kg"

WIP

this is likely gunna be very close to my final img, this was a fun thing to work on but if i iterate more i think im gunna be changing stuff for the heck of it

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
WIP

C O L O R S

Obviously there's still a lot of thing to fix before final sub (like, a lot), but it gives the general idea.

WIP

When it was decided to make a sun/sand Pokemon, I knew I wanted to do something with a Egyptian theme, and when grass/fairy was decided, the first thing that came to mind were spriggins/blights.
He is based on an Egyptian Pharaoh, with a head based on the burial headdress and the red crown of lower Egypt, and hands based off of the crook and flail.

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist

Color update on pangolin: changed the palette to better reflect Drought and a fixation with the Sun, in this case I even took influence from certain yellow-ish succulents, with the first set of scales being colored yellow to make a sun-shaped formation for muh sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)