CAP 3 CAP 3 Art Submission Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The deer hardly looks like a Shaymin evolution, maybe because of the flowers on its back. If anything KoA's first evolution looks similar to Shaymin, but thats hardly a problem. I really like the deer, as well as quite a few others in this thread. Very good art everyone!

Spent a few hours on this, turned out alright

[microsoft plaint]
I laughed but kindly don't in the future.

Also, this is Create-A-Pokemon and imo shouldn't become Create-Them-Pokemon-Duos. The concept of creating one at a time is to carefully lay everything out. Making a near carbon copy with some swaps or anything similar is going to distract us from the purpose hugely. People will always be disappointed with something or another, but too bad for them, this isn't Create-Your-Pokemon either. Choosing one does always mean abandoning the other for the final project.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing with mekkah. Hi guys, first time poster long time observer. I fully support the inclusion of some kind of CAP archive which detailed the processes behind the creation of the CAP Pokemon as, for me, that is the most interesting part. I can see where it would have a space on the site as it could also include discussion on the goals set for the Pokemon and how it relates to competitive Pokemon (as the project is, at heart, and exercise in learning the competitive Pokemon metagame). It would be a really neat aspect to what Smogon currently does. but that is nowhere near for me to decide! Just a thought.

I'm not so sure woodman will win. It's a very very cool character but I'm not sure how pokemony it is.

I couldn't imagine before how the deer could do its attacks but Cartoons your animation really clinched it as a strong contender for me.

Beautiful art with the lava snake too - I'm sure it could be a viable pokemon but we could do with seeing how it would look in various poses.

KoA your cocktrice is definitely a very cool idea but mucho needing colour pleease!

Elagune my hat goes off to you be don't abandon Gentle Giant yet please! I much prefer him to woodman as he looks way more like a pokemon - but needs a more distinctive fire element to it - a way to shoot flames!

My original idea was a Carnivine evo with a gaping maw and with vine 'hoses' that would pump flammable gas to be ignited as a flamethrower but I'm so crap at drawing I just knew it would never catch on. With this in mind I hope you don't mind me tacking on the hoses to Gentle Giant? I've just done one arm because it took me ages in Paint but I imagine he'd have 3 hoses per arm.
Alternatively maybe GG could keep his big meaty fists for punches but have two or three flamethrower vine-tails? That way he would be a great mixed sweeper. Can you imagine the flamethrower vines arching over his shoulders?

http://jagged-angel.deviantart.com/art/credit-goes-to-Elagune-83087168
*Points over to BST Thread 6.5* Go there, chump.

We've already decided not to make an evo, so drop the Carnivine shit. Btw, the woodman reminds me of Grovyle, the head just does.

Also it does look "Pokemony". Does Syclant? Does Revenankh? No, not really. We can always "Pokefy" shit in the sprite polls.

Actually, this could sorta be like a Solrock/Lunatone (Volbeat/Illumise) styled work. Two pokemon who are similar, yet can perform at different tasks. This way, we could have two different BSTs, allowing for one to sub-seed/bulky and the other to be a sweeper. (Again, satisfying all)

Also, it would help in the quest for the art. There are many (many) great pieces of work here, and this would allow us to use two. I think the majority has voted upon the 'Woodman'. How about a second be voted upon that is more bulky?
I just wanted to put this on the current page. I think there is something to note. It would be cool to do a duo, and would satisfy the masses.
Woodman is bulky. We are also not doing a duo, nor working off pre-evos. GOD PEOPLE GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

The deer hardly looks like a Shaymin evolution, maybe because of the flowers on its back. If anything KoA's first evolution looks similar to Shaymin, but thats hardly a problem. I really like the deer, as well as quite a few others in this thread. Very good art everyone!
Deer = pwnage, Deer = Shaymin evo (grass body), Shaymin Evo =/= CAP, Deer =/= Current discussion in the 6.5 thread, Deep =/= Bulky, Woodman = Bulky, Woodman = Discussion in 6.5 thread.

That sums up why i'm voting for Woodman and not for the deer.

The deer I'm sure would be a nice bulky sweeper/tank. It has the structure to be able to survive hits. Would also give it the medium-fast speed BS of around 85-95.
*Points to 6.5 thread*

Also points to the fact that having a speed of 85-95 does NOT Fit in with it's roll, Crushing BulkyWaters/Grounds/Steels. Also a deer fails IRL to a gun, while a Big fucking bear thingy with wooden armour does not.

Deer = pwnage, Deer = Shaymin evo (grass body), Shaymin Evo =/= CAP, Deer =/= Current discussion in the 6.5 thread, Deep =/= Bulky, Woodman = Bulky, Woodman = Discussion in 6.5 thread.
Please explain how a grass hedgehog evolve into a damn grass deer with flaming antlers? I lol'd major hard after reading this.

I am not trying to turn this into ability thread but i have answer this

You suggested Rock head which is only on rocky earthy type pokes( with 1 exception) .

You suggested solid rock which is on a rock type and fire/ground Camerupt(volcanic poke hence magma volcanic rock)

Flame body,Battle armor and Intimidate make some sense but you suggested rock head and solid rock and you have the nerve to tell me that chlorophyll does fit.Please
Wood Armor
Blocks any form of powder or spore.

Effectively nullifies spore, stun spore, sleep powder and poison powder.

Solid rock dosn't even make sense with any of the current designs. Also its a waste seeing as 2 of the 3 types that hit supper effective are incredibly rare.

Intimidate is just bit much considering some of the spreads going round.

Rock Head
Solar Power
Clorophyll
Aftermath
Rough skin
Poison Heal
Flash fire
Battle armor

i could see working.

Please explain how a grass hedgehog evolve into a damn grass deer with flaming antlers? I lol'd major hard after reading this.
Read everything so far, i'm only being a sheep =p

uh i dunno about you guys but that elk looks fucking bulky to me

But faster then bulky

it's funny how you post this all the damn time even though i was the one to suggest it, and you were the one saying "fire grass has no role in today metagame"

I'm the biggest hypocrite around, just go on shoddy. Also, i missed that crucial detail that it does infact do that.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1106533&postcount=284
quoting your post here
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1106514&postcount=283

I honestly see this image being fine the way it is. With very little to improve.

The flames around its jets on the back suggest it's adept at being able to flare blitz, since it seems like a full body fire tackle attack. If the flames were just around its cannons then it would suggest less than it already does. So the 4x flames emitting out of it does help it tell more of a story.

That sums up why i'm voting for Woodman and not for the deer.
Yes we are not making a Shaymin evo sure. However to use your terminology, deer =/= Shaymin evolution. Just because it shares one aspect with another Pokemon doesn't make it void. If anything it looks a bit similar to Stantler but then look at pikachu, pachirisu, plusle and minun. Not a problem.

In terms of the base stats, I admit I am not following the thread on it but the deer could easily be bulky. As previously mentioned a sprite does not need to completely follow stats but even saying that, the deer has a large body, I think it could have high HP and defenses.

This is not the thread for stat talk however so I will leave it at that. Like I said I love the Woodman, snake and quite a few others as well but we can't just dismiss genuinely good ideas for no reason.

*Points over to BST Thread 6.5* Go there, chump.

We've already decided not to make an evo, so drop the Carnivine shit. Btw, the woodman reminds me of Grovyle, the head just does.

Also it does look "Pokemony". Does Syclant? Does Revenankh? No, not really. We can always "Pokefy" shit in the sprite polls.
I really wasn't wanting to discuss the BST thanks chump. I mentioned that one idea didn't currently look as if it had anything to shoot beams from hence I added some hose style vines to the design so it would be a more believable mixed/special sweeper not a physical sweeper since it was decided that we wouldnt be making a physical sweeper. I was merely discussing the artwork. Is that clear enough now mate?

I Know we've already decided not to make an evo, that's why I said in my post that I gave up on the Carnivine evo idea. You completely missed the point which was to explain why I was adding to Elagune's artwork rather than drawing my own from scratch.

Your opinion is that woodman looks like a pokemon. IMO it does not though of course it can be 'pokefied'.

Also IMO Revenankh fits incredibly well with the pokemon look but I'm sure KoA could sprite anything and make it look like a pokemon.

I actually think the deer looks completely unlike Shaymin and i dont think Cartoons meant it to be an evo.

Yes we are not making a Shaymin evo sure. However to use your terminology, deer =/= Shaymin evolution. Just because it shares one aspect with another Pokemon doesn't make it void. If anything it looks a bit similar to Stantler but then look at pikachu, pachirisu, plusle and minun. Not a problem.

In terms of the base stats, I admit I am not following the thread on it but the deer could easily be bulky. As previously mentioned a sprite does not need to completely follow stats but even saying that, the deer has a large body, I think it could have high HP and defenses.

This is not the thread for stat talk however so I will leave it at that. Like I said I love the Woodman, snake and quite a few others as well but we can't just dismiss genuinely good ideas for no reason.
*Points to last post in thread*

Deer still suggests Agile and Fragile.

I really wasn't wanting to discuss the BST thanks chump. I mentioned that one idea didn't currently look as if it had anything to shoot beams from hence I added some hose style vines to the design so it would be a more believable mixed/special sweeper not a physical sweeper since it was decided that we wouldnt be making a physical sweeper. I was merely discussing the artwork. Is that clear enough now mate?

And Woodman has no cannons to shoot beams from, especially not the ones shown in the animation? [/sarcasm]

I Know we've already decided not to make an evo, that's why I said in my post that I gave up on the Carnivine evo idea. You completely missed the point which was to explain why I was adding to Elagune's artwork rather than drawing my own from scratch.

Right, but i still don't see how Carnivine or a Evo idea has anything to do with woodman, as they look completely different.

Your opinion is that woodman looks like a pokemon. IMO it does not though of course it can be 'pokefied'.

In which way does it not? Of course, everyone is entitled to theur opinion.

Also IMO Revenankh fits incredibly well with the pokemon look but I'm sure KoA could sprite anything and make it look like a pokemon.

KoA is not the official CAP Sprites *Shoots evil glance at KoA*

I actually think the deer looks completely unlike Shaymin and i dont think Cartoons meant it to be an evo.

Take away flowers and change body art plz.

Aki, look at This: http://jagged-angel.deviantart.com/art/credit-goes-to-Elagune-83087168

I was talking about Gentle Giant NOT Woodman. I like woodman I just prefer GG. With added flamethrower arms.

I might as well point out that with firey arm cannons on Woodman OR GG we're straying pretty close to Magmortar but as previous posters have mentioned, reusing elements of other pokemon is not only common in the games but inevitable to some degree.

Ok I can see how the flowers on the deers back are Shayminesque. Maybe thorns would work better. Doug's Jack'o'Lanturn is the only design I can think of so far to effectively use thorns.

I see some people are making ability suggestions, so here are some of mine.

Woodman:
Battle Armor -> Armor
Anger Point -> I see him as a warrior, that doesn't like to lose
Heat Proof -> Seems like he could walk through fire all day long
Keen Eye -> fits a good warrior
No Guard -> He loses all his guard when attacking with his canons
Reckless -> ^
Rivalry -> warrior thing

Deer:
Anger Point -> I can see this thing going berserk after being hurt
Chlorophyll -> He's got the flowers
Flower Gift -> ^
Leaf Guard -> Covered with leaves
Magic Guard -> He's got some sort of magical feeling..
Natural Cure -> He's all nature
Quick Feet -> Deers are fast
Rivalry -> I can see this thing going all out for a headbutt

I'm not saying all of these would be good abilities, but they fit with the art and I'd like them to be considered.

If Woodsman doesn't get Power Whip, having Rock Head or a Rock Head equivalent might be nice for those Wood Hammers/Flare Blitzes.

If Woodsman doesn't get Power Whip, having Rock Head or a Rock Head equivalent might be nice for those Wood Hammers/Flare Blitzes.
This. I don't see what would count as a whip on him, since the tail wouldn't really work in any conceivable way in that regard, and those two attacks definitely work with his art.

Here's an alt design for the deer, trying to reflect the increasingly defensive distribution of stats.

If I wasn't here to support my own entry, I'd throw my vote in for Elagune's Gentle Giant. It has an appealing design and looks like it could take a hit or two.

Just because it has a tail doesn't mean it's usable like a whip. It wouldn't really reach any further than his arms, which have freaking cannons on them. Plus, his tail looks more like it's for balance than anything else. I'm sure that armor would get a little unruley without additional balance.

Hey, Elagune, that animation is pretty good for your first go!
Thanks! Feels great to hear something like that from the undisputed master of Easytoon around here. You're going to have to show me some time how you managed to make your frames look so similar and organized, though. My frames morph like a Ditto.

Amazing design there for the Deer, too. I enjoy the serene yet deadly feel to it, which reminds me very much of forest fires. If that was your goal, then you have definitely succeeded.

As for those of you who want Gentle Giant revisions or to change his arms or anything like that. Honestly, the latest version has everything I want on it. I don't want it to be too complex, hence the very simple design with the leaves and the simple colouring, and hands since I can visualize it holding little Pokemon in its giant hands. At this point, there's really nothing left I want to change on GG.

You just gave me a King Kong image of the Gentle Giant holding a Pikachu in his hands while being shot at by airplanes.

You know you really should wait on the pokemon before deciding the moves IMO.

Anyways Deer's are not light and agile, they are bulky fuckers.

But I will continue to throw my weight behind the Stag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)