CAP 3 CAP 3 - Part 2 (Secondary Type)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Death Meanie~ That idea is nice and I wish you was here to suggest that before this whole thing got started.
Actually, I just posted a way we can ensure clear expectations even for this current project. Its in the process guide, check it out.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I still love Fire/Grass, but not because of some incredibly specific reason (like the use of Megahorn for Syclant) but because of how many cool and unusual options this thing could potentially have. People mentioned Infernape and Sceptile as inspirations, and I like that quite a lot. In fact, Fire/Grass has so much potential, I think it's crazy to feel duped for missing out on one little quality when there's so many others to go around.

I guess I'll do a thing on why you should pick fire/grass now like Cooper did last thread... I'm not good at stretching stuff out to make it look fancy though.

The Type Chart

Weaknesses: Rock (2x), Flying (2x), Poison (2x)
Resistances: Electric (2x), Grass (4x), Steel (2x)

While this may not look spectacular, Flying is relatively uncommon, and Poison is hardly used at all, leaving said pokemon with out only one nasty weakness. Looking at the resists, Electric is used a ton, Grass is fairly uncommon, but still used and Steel isn't used that much asides from Metagross and the occasional Gyro Ball. So it is fairly biased towards the resistance side.

What is so special about this typing/ what can it do

This typing makes for a lot of things. It can be the best Celebi counter in the game and shut down most subseeders. It can come in on Swampert also and scare it out easy, and with the right stats, Breloom is beat. Bronzong = Owned. Same with just about every other Wall weak to Fire, and some weak to grass. Although the typing is walled by Dragons, there is always Hidden Power [Ice].

Tactics

Subseeding... With the best typing for this in the game. No longer can grass types like Celebi come in and totally wall your Leech Seeding without fearing a OHKO with the wide range of SE STAB moves. Can gain some health back, force switches and with the multitude of stuff it can switch in on, it will do these.

Possible Moves: (Not listing outclassed, or crappy ones.) Blaze Kick, Fire Blast, Fire Punch, Flare Blitz, Flamethrower, Lava Plume, Overheat, Will-O-Wisp, Aromatherapy, Grass Knot, Leaf Storm, Leech Seed, Power Whip, Seed Bomb, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Synthesis, and Wood Hammer. What a great list, and these are just STAB options. Although many of these moves may not fit the design, with the multitude of other moves that this could learn, we are looking at some intense coverage and power.

What stats would fit this???

I'm visualizing very low HP for better Leech Seed Recovery and very high speed so it can set up on more. I'm also thinking moderately high offense, but fairly biased towards one side of the spectrum. Also I'd say it should be given high defenses it both categories, so it can take a hit to set up. There is no pokemon I can think of in either type that is at all similar to this, in all of pokemon actually, and from what I think, this could be the best Sub-Seeder.

Sorry if I didn't put as much effort into this as FSS or Cooper did, and I left out the opinions section on purpose, because it doesn't matter IMO.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Max HP tangrowth reaches 404 HP.
Notice I said Should not have 101 HP Subs.

Tangrowth is an awful SubSeeder since his Subs can never replenish even half of the 101 HP he needs to make another Sub. In contrast, Jumpluff's crap HP means it can pretty much Sub in your face every time. Tangrowth is a much better wall than a Subseeder.

Fishin said:
Wait, how is Fire benefitting from Grass stereotypes when you just stated there aren't any?
What I said was the opposite of "there aren't any," I said essentially "there are several categories of grass types. This would benefit from the more tankish ones,"

Why should we waste a great opportunity like this with just another random fire type sweeper. Why do you think fire types don't get much traction? Because everyone knows what's coming when a fire type switches in.

Meanwhile Grass types suck at walls because of the weakness overload. Fire/Grass alleviates many problems with Grass walls (fire, ice, and bug, plus threatening steels). Quite frankly Fire/Grass makes a much better defensive pokemon than offensive.

beej

Hold your horses there. Spore on a "perfect subseeder"? This thing could potentially outclass Celebi and Jumpluff entirely, and if we're gonna give it enough defenses to take hits, Spore could make it ridiculously broken. Not only would set-up be almost guaranteed, but with insanely good type coverage, it could sweep entire teams with sheer offense. Look at Breloom, with his craptastic defenses. He has Spore and he's dangerous as hell. If this thing Spores and gets a sub up, imagine the horrible destruction.

I know it's very unlikely that it'll ever get the move, but the very consideration of it makes me queasy.

Agreed. Spore should only ever be put on something that would otherwise be complete and utter crap.

Hold your horses there. Spore on a "perfect subseeder"? This thing could potentially outclass Celebi and Jumpluff entirely, and if we're gonna give it enough defenses to take hits, Spore could make it ridiculously broken. Not only would set-up be almost guaranteed, but with insanely good type coverage, it could sweep entire teams with sheer offense. Look at Breloom, with his craptastic defenses. He has Spore and he's dangerous as hell. If this thing Spores and gets a sub up, imagine the horrible destruction.

I know it's very unlikely that it'll ever get the move, but the very consideration of it makes me queasy.
Spore/Fire Blast/Grass Knot/Substitute/Leech Seed. That's not exactly a valid set.

beej

Spore/Fire Blast/Grass Knot/Substitute/Leech Seed. That's not exactly a valid set.
Spore/Fire Blast/Grass Knot or Leech Seed/Substitute

If it got Spore, I could very easily see sets very similar to this one rising up. Until it's possibly too late, you don't even know if it's going to try and sweep or if it's going to seed. This is only one of the many scary possibilities Spore would have to offer. If it's faster than Gengar, slap a scarf on and now it's a guaranteed sleeper.

It has many other options potentially available to it, and a Fire/Grass subseeder doesn't need something as powerful as Spore to be good.

Spore? How does that begin to make sense? I'd imagine this pokemon's spores lighting things on fire, not putting them to sleep...

Gothic, is this poll over? We should probably move on if it is, since people have basically decided that the fight is over.

Can we call this poll now? It's a one day poll, as per the calendar, and I honestly don't see anything else getting 30+ votes in the next hour or so.

This poll was closed an hour ago but I been too busy to make the new poll, BTW does everyone still want to go through the New evo/New pokemon poll or just get to the Style poll?

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
New evo / New style poll; There is a significant split amongst the community here. Some want a Carnivine / Sunflora evolution; some want a Hedgehog / Pepper / Panda / Whatever new Pokemon.

Make the poll, let's see the opinions of the community.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i agree with hyra, there are a few sub-par grass types that could use an evo *coughcherrimcough*

I agree that the Fire/Grass type should not learn Spore. Seeing as the only Pokemon capable of learning Spore are Paras/Parasect and Shroomish/Breloom (noting that only Shroomish actually learns the move, Breloom does not), unless we opt for the design of a flaming toadstool or something similar Spore seems an inappropriate move.

And yes, I didnt mention Smeargle. For obvious reasons.

Grass

It seems i missed the first poll, in whichm i would've voted Poison. Im not voting Poison now simply because of the glaring 4x EQ weak

EDIT: Oh, and if this thing turns out to be fast, then definitely not Spore. If it's slow then it could be an unlikely possibility.

Stun Spore? Yes!
Sleep Powder? Yes!
Spore? Hell no!

Heh. But, even with Sleep Powder, that is still a more accurate move than Hypnosis. Toss that alongside Substitute, Leech Seed, and Flamethrower, and you have got a powerful son-of-a-bitch on your hands. Stun Spore can be terrible, too. Imagine freezing up a third of the time (is that the right percentage?) while trying to break the guy's substitutes. Meanwhile, he sucks up more of your HP, can harm you with a STAB Flamethrower ...

Also, do not forego Lava Plume. On such a Leech Seed / Substitute set, Lava Plume can go in place of Flamethrower and Stun Spore / Sleep Powder as the status inducing move, as well. To round off such a set, then, would be something like Hidden Power [Ice]. Faster than Garchomp, the ability to seed it, threaten a burn with Lava Plume, and then Hidden Power [Ice]. Me want!

These are the two sets I would most likely go for --

Flamethrower
Leech Seed
Sleep Powder / Stun Spore
Substitute

Hidden Power [Ice]
Lava Plume
Leech Seed
Substitute

That second set is looking mighty fine right now ...

EDIT: Have you noticed that all three of our creations have been weak to Flying-typed attacks? Bug, Fighting, Grass. What's up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)