CAP 3D Modeling Project

Hi I'm working on a 3d pokemon game for learning purposes, but I'm afraid I get sued by Nintendo, so I want to replace the real pokemon models for fakemon. Could I get a download file of the fakemon you guys created here so I can add them to my game perhaps? I'll credit you all and I won't make any profit from it.

Hi I'm working on a 3d pokemon game for learning purposes, but I'm afraid I get sued by Nintendo, so I want to replace the real pokemon models for fakemon. Could I get a download file of the fakemon you guys created here so I can add them to my game perhaps? I'll credit you all and I won't make any profit from it.
What I"ve heard is that you can. But you would have to credit the CAP community for it (which you said you would do). As a fellow pokémon fan game creator I feel you.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
You can use CAP pokemon for your game, if you wish. But you must observe the following stipulations:
  • Your game cannot be affiliated with another established online pokemon community
  • Credit the "Create-A-Pokemon Project", and provide links to our website, located here: http://www.smogon.com/cap/
  • Your representation of our characters must be consistent with the names, design elements, and overall themes of the characters as defined on the CAP website and CAP forum
Many people have created artworks, ROM hacks, video fighting games, and other interesting offshoot projects using our characters. If you get something interesting together, please let me know and perhaps we can cross-link from here to your project. Good luck!

Just a question, are there any older cap's that are easier to model? ive been self-teaching myself to 3d model and want to try my hand at modeling a character.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Just a question, are there any older cap's that are easier to model? ive been self-teaching myself to 3d model and want to try my hand at modeling a character.
I have always heard that the best test subjects for first time CAP 3D modeling are the CAP Prevos!
They are usually simpler to design and are usually easier to get off.

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pre-encaplopedia-updated-prevos.3612944/

You can check out these to see if there are any you are interested in.

QxC4eva

is an Artistis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Flicks thanks for your interest! It's always great to have new modelers on board cause we oldies are starting to run out of designs we like as more and more of them get done. Agreed with G-Luke that the prevos would be easiest especially ones like Rebble, Tactite, Breezi, Justyke and maybe Cawdet. The other two with model sheets are Embirch and Cupra so maybe look into those as well. Always happy to help if you got any questions!

I've made progress on Justyke, but I've been presented with a dilemma. On the model sheet for Justyke, it shows that theres an opening for the "spikes" to come out, but I'm not sure if I should make an opening there or not. Regardless, though, I have
1613920210133.png

so here it is!
1613920343871.png

Any ops appreciated and how I can fix it. The Uv's aren't unwrapped, but this thing was so easy because it was mostly primitives.

And one last question. I use blender, but most of you guys use maya or 3ds max, so how would mirror modifiers and subsurf modifiers translate over or anything???
and IDK if the link will work, but if it doesn't i can edit it but heres the obj of the model
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8vsfwoo9v793kfq/fakepok.obj/file

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I've made progress on Justyke, but I've been presented with a dilemma. On the model sheet for Justyke, it shows that theres an opening for the "spikes" to come out, but I'm not sure if I should make an opening there or not. Regardless, though, I have
View attachment 317583

so here it is!View attachment 317584

Any ops appreciated and how I can fix it. The Uv's aren't unwrapped, but this thing was so easy because it was mostly primitives.

And one last question. I use blender, but most of you guys use maya or 3ds max, so how would mirror modifiers and subsurf modifiers translate over or anything???
and IDK if the link will work, but if it doesn't i can edit it but heres the obj of the model
Wow, this looks awesome! You've done an excellent job here. I think leaving the opening as you have it now is probably correct, though StephXPM may want to jump in!

View attachment 317583

so here it is!View attachment 317584

Wow, this looks great! What you have there looks fine, the spike can just hide in justyke's geometry, and we could texture the part below the opening to make it look like a void. When you're all done you can just apply the mirror and subsurf mods and export as an fbx or obj for the next stages of the process.

Ok, so I added the spike, and then I had an idea.

What if I did a rig for it, but im not sure if the model has to be uv unwrapped or anything, but I think that for justyke the rig wouldn't be too hard, because of its little movement at least as described in the model sheet. So if i can do that it would be really cool and save time.

Let me know your opinion on that idea, but anyways I have finished the spike part. I'm pretty sure the obj wot join all the meshes when I export, so Imma post the finished-ish mesh. For the cone when I used a subsurf, it doesnt work right, so I had to make a cone from a circle with quads, but anyways ye.
1614001947087.png

http://www.mediafire.com/file/acavgyimp9n0yjl/fakepok.obj/file

QxC4eva

Ok, so I added the spike, and then I had an idea.

What if I did a rig for it, but im not sure if the model has to be uv unwrapped or anything, but I think that for justyke the rig wouldn't be too hard, because of its little movement at least as described in the model sheet. So if i can do that it would be really cool and save time.

Let me know your opinion on that idea, but anyways I have finished the spike part. I'm pretty sure the obj wot join all the meshes when I export, so Imma post the finished-ish mesh. For the cone when I used a subsurf, it doesnt work right, so I had to make a cone from a circle with quads, but anyways ye.View attachment 317918
http://www.mediafire.com/file/acavgyimp9n0yjl/fakepok.obj/file
Justyke is looking good! Can I get you to hold off on the rigging for now, I've a few suggestions for the model. First the polycount is way too high - you've got almost 2 million triangles there so try to dial down the subdivs and aim for somewhere around 2-5K. I also think the curvature of the handle and arms can use some tidying up so we don't see the tiny bumps in the silhouette. The tip swirls should be more defined - pay attention to how they look in the side view as well (top view for handle) and see if you can get it to look like how it is on the model sheet drawings. Good work so far :)

Justyke is looking good! Can I get you to hold off on the rigging for now, I've a few suggestions for the model. First the polycount is way too high - you've got almost 2 million triangles there so try to dial down the subdivs and aim for somewhere around 2-5K. I also think the curvature of the handle and arms can use some tidying up so we don't see the tiny bumps in the silhouette. The tip swirls should be more defined - pay attention to how they look in the side view as well (top view for handle) and see if you can get it to look like how it is on the model sheet drawings. Good work so far :)

Ok, so I dialed down the subsurf and so theres
1614087733625.png
this much triangles... Im still working out on reducing the triangle count.

I don't know how to lower tri count anymore, any tips?

Last edited:

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
(now might be a good time to mention that you should def join the CAP Discord server if you want to work on this project for better communication and feedback transfer :D)

QxC4eva

Hey sorry for the very late reply. I think it looks good - gimme a couple of days to do some edits on the handles and I'll send it back here for you to start rigging, if you're still keen ;) Thanks for contributing to the project!

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi I am the original artist for Malaconda. I just started browsing this thread really and saw what you were looking for with reference sheets. I gave it a shake with some minor retcons of the original design for the transition to 3D (head and leaf shape more in-line with Wyverii's sprite; an additional row of thorns added to the body for consistency.)

I went with a dorsal view instead of "front" (ventral) since you usually view snakes from the top lol also the back is more complex on Malaconda

I unfortunately lost most of my original reference work for Malaconda, so a lot of this was done from memory. Fun fact: the first draft of Malaconda had a black body and red apple, too bad I don't have it anymore :( If you are looking for a good reference for the head shape in-game, I recall the skull was inspired by a combination of Seviper and Sceptile

Let me know y'all need anything elese

EDIT: fixed a dip in the neck
malacondaref1.png

Last edited:
Hi I am the original artist for Malaconda. I just started browsing this thread really and saw what you were looking for with reference sheets. I gave it a shake with some minor retcons of the original design for the transition to 3D (head and leaf shape more in-line with Wyverii's sprite; an additional row of thorns added to the body for consistency.)
this is a good model sheet, nice! hopefully it can get done pretty quickly cus its not too hard to model rig or animate

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I was led here from the custom 3D renders thread wondering how create SwoShi shading in Blender. Doe anyone know what node setups I need to recreate it?

QxC4eva

We are working on CAP 29 model!! Here's the plan.
Code:
Ortho:      Gravity Monkey [DONE]
Mesh:       Clawed Nyasu
UV:         Clawed Nyasu
Textures:   Gravity Monkey
Rig:        Zephias
Animation:  QxC4eva
Renders:    QxC4eva

Hi, so I was able to export the obj, sorry for keeping you waiting.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/46t8wkstr2lw61t/fakepok.obj/file
Woopsie I forgot about this I'm so sorry :'(
Justyke_QC.png

^ I made edits to the tail and arms and the updated file is here. Feel free to start rigging if you're still keen!

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I was led here from the custom 3D renders thread wondering how create SwoShi shading in Blender. Doe anyone know what node setups I need to recreate it?
Open up Blender's compositor and follow this post, it shows the general idea on how to do it. There are plenty of other ways to approach it of course but this is one of them. And if you look closely enough you'll probably notice it's not 100% exact.
Mias_Tomo_Snael.png

If you're stuck on how to do some of the render passes or composition steps in Blender, usually a quick google search will get you the answer. Best of luck!

Reactions: BP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)