CAP 9 CAP 9 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Eviled" it up. Heres to da dark snakey-worm.

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs50/f/2009/278/7/6/Snake_CAP_color_3_by_kai7735.jpg

(to those asking about the tail, its coming from the ground. I just havent taken the time to add the dirt. I wanted it to look like the rocks/mud from diglet or onyx.)

Did you mean like the button things cyzir did?
A suggestion: Pull the tail out of the ground and add a rattle, so your design could resemble some kind of evil rattlesnake. As others have said too, a few ornaments for design on the skin wouldn't hurt either.

The Armadillo and Mock Turtle are very good. (especially the mock turtle)
The Mock Turtle has a very good concept. The presentation of the ground typing is very innovative. Not only that, the grumpy look really suits the dark typing and the approach of the CAP (i think it's heading towards somewhat defensive and somewhat offensive) Though the colouring needs more work(perhaps a grey and a little dark green colouring?)

I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable with others--why do we have to make the CAP so devilish and/or beast-like? Being a dark type doesn't mean it is evil-like. Look at umbreon, it's cute, but you still get the dark feel. You want the CAP to 'Stop the secondary', so the look should be cunning and impatient, rather than be intimidating with the beast-like looks. (It's not an all-out offense poke, right?) For the ground typing, the sand and stone theme is a bit boring.

Buffalo_Wings

Abnormally Cruel
is an Artist Alumnus

A new concept kind of based on Osiris/Pharaohs/ancient Egypt, and my first one is like dirt coloured now. Which one do y'all like best?

The goblin thing was my actual first idea but I don't think I'm going anywhere with it.

@Atyroki

Looks great overall. Only nitpick is the feet, the two twos and the single back one seems.. awkward. I know it is irrelevant but I think your Mon' would have a hard time moving... unless it moves primarily by dragging its tail and propelling itself with his arms.

@Defno an Cho: I made a tail, but cho sugested a rattle.

What is more preferable...

A Harpoon-like tail?

Or a Rattle?

I think...brilliant. But I agree with golden knight...i think the arms would look better if the humerus was thickened a bit (not too much)
To be honest I kind of like them thin with the thick forearm. Makes those claws look more badass and also gives a more mobile feel, which is what I imagine this thing to be. Bulky and solid in body, yet cunning and quick in manner (which also kind of suits the Pursuit idea every Dark supporter brought up) {This is NOT polljumping, just stating my interpretation of this art}

I do also love the grey/dark brown colouring with detailed markings, plus the territorial look in its face. Kind of says "Stay away or I'll swing you one..." which certainly coincides with the idea of "Stop the Secondary".

That's all just my interpretation though.

Atyroki, I'm totally supporting your desgin! I sincerely hope that you win an Art Poll this time!

Oh, and on another note, I'm thinking about doing a collaboration with another artist for my design. So if anybody is interested in helping me with my art concept (Which is a Deceiving Coyote who wears armor made out of Tauros and Milktank Bones.) Send me a PM, and we can work together to make a cool design.

New colours, I like em better.

(Edit: Darkened everything)
I like the new color scheme, especially the dark grey color. However, a little of my thoughts on the matter. Like a few others have mentioned, the forearm is a bit thin. Probably thickening it at about a 1-2 pixel width at most would help discrete the illusion of thinness.

The second one I think someone may have mentioned already. It's feet. On his left (our right) foot, it seems like the claw is just sticking out of the side of his foot, while on the other foot it is clearly in the back.

EDIT:
Buffalo_Wings said:
A new concept kind of based on Osiris/Pharaohs/ancient Egypt, and my first one is like dirt coloured now. Which one do y'all like best?

The goblin thing was my actual first idea but I don't think I'm going anywhere with it.
I still like the other idea better, honestly. The Goblin-esque thing is pretty cool looking, but I think the first one holds more true to stopping the secondary with his armor plating and demeanor.

I've got a couple of ideas I'm working on, here are the first two:

Eeeevil Carnivorous Stegosaurus [No-one said pokemon had to be realistic...]
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee6/greeniax/Stegomon-1.png

Burrowing-Skull-Serpent-mon
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee6/greeniax/Serpentmon.png

[WAY too big to post directly]
What do you guys think? If one of them gets a good reception I'll probably start drawing it in less stagnant poses.

I also have a rough sketch of a concept I'll be posting here later in my art thread (link in siggy)

Atyroki, I don't really like the new color design. That could be its shiny, but the brown/tan gave it the ground feel thats is missing from this one. This one looks more poison type, imo. However, the design itself is awesome!

EDIT: LightningStorm, I answered my location question sersly.

IT ARE COLOR COMPS TIEMS. (I can still alter the main design if anyone has any comments about it.)

I could really use help here- color comps are not my strong point! Feel free to comment that one set is perfect, or that I should use one set but use the mane color from another one, or suggest something entirely different that I haven't done. :V Keep in mind the typing; I want the one that looks best but still suits the typing! I know, Dark's the primary, but I could probably use more of a Ground element.)

#1. http://imgur.com/ww3jA.jpg (like this one but probably aint Ground enough)
#2. http://imgur.com/OVOOu.jpg (lots of brown but I'm concerned about the dark brown mane since I swear I will kill the next person who's all 'lol Tauros :V' )
#3. http://imgur.com/4nrDh
#4. http://imgur.com/U6Spz.jpg
#5. http://imgur.com/ohKMj.jpg
#6. http://imgur.com/DSuuq.jpg (probably too similiar to earlier ones but eh)

Feel free to do paintovers, too, if you'd like.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy147/ResIpsaLoquitur/SlugSubmission.png

It's a sand slug. Dark types are often nocturnal, as some slugs are, and they are often creepy animals, with past examples including a crow, a weasel, a skunk, and a scorpion. I know that there is already a slug in Slugma, but there other other animals revisited multiple times (moth, butterfly, turtle, etc.). The slug I think is very appropriate. Plus, this submission doesn't look anything like Slugma

This Pokemon is basically a sand dune (the back sprite will feature the classic "spine" of the dune running down) that can form into slug shape. I see the distinct features as constantly collapsing and reforming, the appearance in constant flux. This is well-suited to the CAP because it allows versatility in selecting future elements, especially move pool, which I think will be important for this CAP in particular.

If people like this concept, let me know. I can ink the drawing, color it, shade it, and fiddle with the sand texture if people want. I just don't want to waste the time if people think that this is a stupid idea. Feedback appreciated.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy147/ResIpsaLoquitur/SlugSubmission.png

It's a sand slug. Dark types are often nocturnal, as some slugs are, and they are often creepy animals, with past examples including a crow, a weasel, a skunk, and a scorpion. I know that there is already a slug in Slugma, but there other other animals revisited multiple times (moth, butterfly, turtle, etc.). The slug I think is very appropriate. Plus, this submission doesn't look anything like Slugma

This Pokemon is basically a sand dune (the back sprite will feature the classic "spine" of the dune running down) that can form into slug shape. I see the distinct features as constantly collapsing and reforming, the appearance in constant flux. This is well-suited to the CAP because it allows versatility in selecting future elements, especially move pool, which I think will be important for this CAP in particular.

If people like this concept, let me know. I can ink the drawing, color it, shade it, and fiddle with the sand texture if people want. I just don't want to waste the time if people think that this is a stupid idea. Feedback appreciated.
R.I.L. I like the Sand Slug, but I don't like the fact he doesn't have a face. I think you should go for this idea, just give him some facial features, and you're set to go.
The Mutant: I'd go with Color 1 or 5

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've worked up several designs, but only one of them is interesting enough for me to continue with. I spent considerable time on two others, so I'm going to post those here too -- if anything, just to let you see the stuff I rejected. At the bottom, you'll see the design I'm currently intending to proceed with. But I have a couple other ideas, that I might flesh out. We'll see.

---------------------
Anyway, my first "reject" is what I call the "Gnome". I wanted to do something reminiscent of my Dungeons & Dragons days -- a gnome or dwarf. But, I didn't want to do it "on the nose". I just wanted it to be vaguely inspired by those character classes. Unfortunately, as I morphed the design to not look like too much like a human figure -- the whole design kinda... "lost direction".

(Click the link or thumbnail for the full sketch)

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/8801/gnomelarge.jpg

The key elements in the design are an overall gnome/dwarf stature, a nifty "beard", a rocky/ground-ish main body, squarish hands to be used like spades for digging and moving dirt. The end result is still moderately interesting to me, but not worth continuing to develop.

--------------------------
The next sketch I made was loosely based on pictures of badgers. I wanted to do something with really long claws, that could be used for digging. The fur pattern on badgers look very "dark" to me, so that was the feel I wanted to get with the body patterns. I didn't want to do a straight animal design, so I tried to "cartoon it up" quite a bit. Unfortunately, I ended up with something that is a little too cartoony.

(Click the link or thumbnail for the full sketch)

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/7789/badgerlarge.jpg

The design is too anthro (it looks too much like a person) to evoke a real animal feel, and it ended up looking like a person wearing a costume. My kids thought it was a clown. Gotta love honest opinions from kids! On top of that, there are a million other digging animal designs, so I completely lost interest in my "badger" design.

------------
Which brings me to the design I like the most so far. It is based on a buffalo. I was thinking more about Dark typing in this case, and wanted to do a buffalo with a tribal look. I was thinking of a buffalo that is pissed off about the mass extermination of the species in North America. And with tribal patterns, I draw on the general mistreatment of Native Americans overall; Native American culture is deeply intertwined with buffalo. This is a tribal beast with revenge on its mind.

I think of buffalo with a fair amount of "ground-ness" anyway -- thundering hooves making the earth shake, herds running in big clouds of dust, etc. The color scheme I have in mind should bring out some more of the ground side too. But the primary type for our pokemon is Dark, and I want this design to be dark too.

The biggest risk with this design, is that I made a big, imposing pokemon. After seeing several people's idea for stat spreads, I'm predicting we get a really big HP stat on this pokemon. I don't expect the Def and SpDef to be huge, but the HP could be. Think Hariyama-esque defensive stats. If that happens, then this design works really well. If not, well then I may go in another direction...

That's what I have so far. As always, comments and criticism is welcome.

Okay, in the meantime, a few comments!

Atyroki: Looking great, definitely one of the top contenders. I'd be happier if the design was a bit more simple, but that might just be me. :V

Cartoons!: Amazing, enviable art as always, though your design doesn't really call to mind either of the typings- maybe some Dark, but turtles are usually associated with Water in my head. Maybe if you made it more tortoiseish? Dunno.

Mastadi: Interesting concept, I'd be interested in seeing this one refined. Not sure if the 'arms' are necessary.

Fuzznip: Also an interesting concept, but your anatomy needs a lot of work- check out how similar Pokemon torsos/heads/legs are drawn, like Persian.

Kai7735: Solid art, but the design is way too plain- it needs more flavor than 'dark brown snake'.

Agaki: Looking great! I still find the legs and feet a little weird, but your shading style is pretty nifty and the overal design is solid.

Gen. Empoleon: THE CLEAR WINNER :V

Elegy of Emptiness: Nicely unique concept, but your anatomy needs refining and ease off on the sawblade fur outlines- a little tuft here and there in the outline should be all that's required to indicate fur. Also, mind your use of the Dodge/Burn tool! That way leads to ruin :C Try actually painting your shadows and highlights with the paint tool and pick a color, rather than relying on the icky icky tools you're using. I pretty much only use them for very tiny highlights on top of painted ones.

GreenMamba: I like. Good outlines, though I think the feet could use a little work and variation.

DougJustDoug: Love it! And maybe now YOU can get the 'it looks like Tauros' comments instead of me :B But really, I do like it, it'll surely be a top contender at the very least.

If I didn't comment on your art, it doesn't mean I hate you, I just have no thoughts on your design at present.

How would you guys suggest that I go about adding a face? Would just adding cartoon eyes to the eye stalks be sufficient? Or is it really important that it have some kind of mouth? I really want to avoid making it look too much like Slugma.

Which brings me to the design I like the most so far. It is based on a buffalo. I was thinking more about Dark typing in this case, and wanted to do a buffalo with a tribal look. I was thinking of a buffalo that is pissed off about the mass extermination of the species in North America. And with tribal patterns, I draw on the general mistreatment of Native Americans overall, and Native American culture is deeply intertwined with buffalo. This is a tribal beast with revenge on it's mind.

I think of buffalo with a fair amount of "ground-ness" anyway -- thundering hooves making the earth shake, herds running in big clouds of dust, etc. The color scheme I have in mind should bring out some more of the ground side too. But the primary type for our pokemon is Dark, and I want this design to be dark too.

The biggest risk with this design, is that I made a big, imposing pokemon. After seeing several people's idea for stat spreads, I'm predicting we get a really big HP stat on this pokemon. I don't expect the Def and SpDef to be huge, but the HP could be. Think Hariyama-esque defensive stats. If that happens, then this design works really well. If not, well then I may go in another direction...

That's what I have so far. As always, comments and criticism is welcome.
I really like this design, but i DONT like the fact that no matter how I look at it, it seems too cute to be seeking revenge or even to be a dark type.

zorbees

Chwa for no reason!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Reminds me of Mamoswine a bit, in a good way though, because it makes me think it actually is a Ground-type. I would love too see it colored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)