CAP27 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
WIP

Going with a new design here, because I feel like the other design I made didn't really fit with the direction we're heading to for stats.

This design is based off of a (veloci)raptor, and its tail is also supposed to resemble a matchstick. Velociraptors were known to be very fast, so I thought this would fit the blazing speed we're trending towards for the statline. They were also capable of dealing a lot damage even to bigger creatures with their massive, curved talons, which I've also taken inspiration from.

I might mess with the colour scheme a bit more, but I think I'm sticking with this general design for now.

WIP
1587275783181.png

The last time i designed a pokemon was around two years ago so here we go
Dilophosaurus that spits lava instead of poison

Its underbelly, crest and tongue all glow :)

WIP

I feel confident leaving this guy at this point until we see the second ability and stats. Its still a flag dragon, but Ive also included the dragon trope of having a weak spot where it can only be slayed, the rest of attacks it heals off. This feels like stronger Regenerator flavor! I also changed a bunch of smaller bits like the face, plume, proportions etc. Please let me know what u think :)

Some feedbacks for other designs: (disclaimer, this is just my suggestions, almost all of my suggestions r gunna be suggesting to pull stuff closer to "standard" dragons in the pokedex cus i think personally that might be what voters will go for- since dragon is such a recognizable and rigid typing for the most part, but if you are intentionally breaking away from that then feel free 2 ignore)

If i didnt give feedback I probably already gave you lots of feedback already hehe

Morghulis i really like the concept behind this design, it just needs to be adapted to fit the stat spread we are going. candelabra hydra is just perfect for a fire/dragon and regenerator, just wanna see it be able to be fast and able to perform physical attacks! (thats the route i think we are going, need to look at stats thread for confirmation)

Magistrum its a simple, clean design, i think it fits everything well as well as fitting a fast physical attacker. I like it!

Darek851 this concept is great, its super fitting. just needs to refinement and look at existing dragons for examples of how to make the heads and bodies more interesting. im tempted to say you dont need the tail flame too.

Sunfished its a solid design i think all it needs is some attention/extra depth on the face to make sure it has personality there. the exploding feathers is cool. oh also be careful of the stat route we are going, which is pretty fast and physical.

Shadowshocker this is an interesting design, make sure you are making it different from crucibelle tho. that mon is in recent enough memory that a elemental creature jumping out of a pot could overlap, just be careful there when you pick colors etc. it could also be interesting to try it as different objects as the physical body- like maybe a totem-style or tiki artefacts that still can piece together while inactive.

AliceColt interesting idea, if the lack of a face is part of the design then i think you can amp it up, like the way Nihilego uses its total lack of feature to make it more spooky/evil. maybe the wings/ears up top could overlap into the eye area to really play up that it uses hearing instead of sight. but im not entirely sure what having no eyes has to do with the butterfly/amphithere concept..

noobiess u said its a joke design but its actually really good, so... i would consider giving this some legs and it could be a contender tbh! some kind of lizard or frog legs would be perfect here. its a physical attacker too, so having limbs will help haha. i can really see us getting dragon claw cus the other physical dragon options are awful.

Zephyr2007 its interesting, so its some kind of tribal warrior? i think it could really benefit from having a more "evolved" looking body type, its limbs look stubby and that makes it look slow and kinda weak, take a look at garchomp, kommo-o and haxorus for some dragons that would be in similar stat ranges to what CAP usually ends up going for imo.

DrifblooomCF this is a unique route, be careful to avoid having ur pokemon look like its wearing clothes tho. it looks like it has a bum bag right now. im guessing thats where it stores whatever its holding, but is there any way those things can be attached to its body? just an idea but like how grenades can be attached to the sides of jackets or something like that, or perhaps there is a in-nature example that can be used instead. i wouldnt change much to do with the actual design but i think proportionally- atm body is feeling very human from the neck you could look at how krookodile or feraligatr has a more interesting body thanks to bulky lower body, skinny arms, stubby/thick legs etc. it really helps make it look cool. doesnt need to copy them, but its good to reference.

WIP

It's a peahen with some archeopteryx / kaiju influences. The pink bits are crowns of superheated feathers versus actual fire.

Last edited:

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

There's been quite a few bits of feedback on the Discord channel, and very appreciated. Two elements have stood out from previous iterations of the pot fire dragon: the lid forming a second head and the dynamism of the fire entity.

The colour pass attempts to evoke motifs of Chinese demons, with gruesome green skin and fiery features, while keeping the fluid body of flame for speed. The pose will probably have to go through a few more attempts alongside my questionable standards for shading.

Supplementary materials:
Version 3: Included an attempt to incorporate rocket boot feet to suggest speed, for which I have a curious obsession for - this didn't go over well, apparently.
Version 4 with "scales": To break up the fire I tried putting in sharp shards to evoke scales and broken pottery, which the pot uses to "regenerate" itself. This might not be an implementation at all or fixed down the line. Squinting at it makes me think of a hyena-giraffe hybrid...
Version 4, sleepy mode: The pot lid and anatomy study for version 2 is nice supplementary lore, and here we have Version 4 in 3/4s treatment being an inactive boi.
Version 4, surprised mode

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WIP

didn't like where the peacock was going so i went for a sort of tengu/warrior thing mixed with one of my previous cap designs. ill probably move forward with this one and attempt to fix some problems people brought up on the discord, such as it looking too bug type

WIP

I'm at the point of finalizing my design. My CAPmon is inspired by Shisa. It is fierce, loyal, and protective. They ward away evil and bring fortune to your household. I wanted to try something different from the traditional fire/dragon and with the cleric role the idea of a mythological guardian made sense. Whether we decide on buffs, status, or healing as their priority, or physical vs. special , I see it as a nice balance between offense and support either way. I think we're due for a beast!

Final Submission

(Click for higher resolution image exceeding 500kb)

For my draggo I decided to go with a stylized version of a salamander, an animal that has deep connections to themes of both fire and dragons in European mythology. This design is heavily inspired by Merlin's legendary vision of two dragons, one white and one red, dueling underground beneath a castle. Their constant battling would upset the foundations, causing the castle to constantly fall and need rebuilding, so there is some thematic justification for Regenerator as an ability. And of course, salamanders also have incredible regenerative properties compared to other animals; they are able to regrow entire limbs and even major organs.

This is my first ever contribution on the art side of things here at CAP. I haven't drawn in a long time, but I felt motivated to try again thanks to this awesome process and welcoming community. So thanks guys! :3 (In particular I want to thank Wahrer, Zephyr2007, Shadowshocker, Quanyails, Pipotchi, Amamama, Falchion, Sunfished, and Bobsican for their feedback on Discord)

Update #1: Finally did the shading! Hopefully it looks better lol

Update #2: Changed the color to bluish-grey based on Discord feedback. Feel free to let me know if you prefer the green or grey versions.

Update #3: Added some supporting art!

(Click for higher resolution image exceeding 500kb)

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

CAP 1v1 me IRL
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have reworked my two previous designs into one.
The design is based on several inspirations all of which are connected to open fire stoves.
The most obvious is the salamander which I used for the shape of the body and the colored pattern on its feet and back.
The mythical Salamander is said to live in the fire of fireplaces being able to survive the hottest of fires.
The second inspiration is the Suan Ni dragon of Chinese legend. It is one of 9 children of the first dragon and is part lion part dragon. This inspired the flaming mane and the claws on its front legs. Also the coloring of the mane and the movement of the body draw inspiration from ornaments, depicting the Suan Ni, which are often used on the roof of temples.
The Suan Ni also happens to be an often used ornament for pots, which are placed on the open fire.
My third important reference are gas stoves. The shape of the body and the way the flames erupt from it are supposed to resemble gas stove tops and the fire they are emitting.
I really love your design now with the new colouring style! The thicker tail and its position also does a lot of work to make it more legible. Claws also vibe well with me considering the physical leaning. Excellent stuff!

WIP

I'm at the point of finalizing my design. My CAPmon is inspired by Shisa. It is fierce, loyal, and protective. They ward away evil and bring fortune to your household. I wanted to try something different from the traditional fire/dragon and with the cleric role the idea of a mythological guardian made sense. Whether we decide on buffs, status, or healing as their priority, or physical vs. special , I see it as a nice balance between offense and support either way. I think we're due for a beast!
I absolutely love this, a very unique take with great colours and a lot of classic Pokemon flavour! I like that you've kept it simple to really make the face stand out, but I think some minor pattern on the legs or shoulders might lift it up even further.

Last edited:

Shadowshocker

It shall rest here in peace. Forever, if you wish.
is a Top Artistis a Smogon Media Contributor
WIP

Alas, pot boy. I genuinely enjoyed the original idea and the supplementary doodles helped, but there was just something missing. The rigid uniformity, my lack of shades... so I took you apart and reforged you, as it were. But your sleepy visage lives on, I trust.

This might well be the final iteration of the pottery dragon for a while, save for probable issues with shading since I've never been great at that. Thinking over how to make the pot less rotation-symmetrical I considered Zhang Heng's seismometer, which uses a dragon motif - and that got me thinking of fire pouring out of two flanking dragons for arms. A little rework on the shattered shards, a pair of gauntlets, and voila.

I'd be remiss not to mention A_Magical_Liopleurodon for inspiring the swishy front-facing tail, Quanyails on including variation in the concept's anatomy, Wahrer for his tip on the shading, and Falchion for being a spectacular sport with his nod of approval despite our ideas both being condensable to "fire possessing dragon-looking stuff".

Zephyri

put on your headphones and burn my city
is a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
WIP

1588305200468.png
I updated my mon based on Pipotchi's feedback too look more "evolved" and draconic, and also changed the tail-swords to look more like scimitars and changed the color as well.

I'd really like to thank the amazing community on discord for helping me get this mon to the point it is right now!

-Changed the image to be more high resolution
1588437971961.png
-Posted a bit of supporting art to show how the back of the mon looked like.. hopefully it's a bit clearer how the mon would really look!
Imgur link: https://imgur.com/EHJp5M6

Last edited:
WIP

So, I ended up redoing the final render, haha. I think I'm happier with this pose.
Supporting art should be finished soon!

Last edited:
I’m liking a lot of entries so far! Below are some comments;

Darek851 – I’m really loving this concept! It’s smart and simple, I really like it. For the design, I think the focus of the viewer should be the middle snake. So I would make it bigger and look more fierce. I would make the body of the middle one also thinker. For the smaller snakes, I think the transition with the body of the middle snake could be defined better. Lastly, currently I think it looks more evil. If possible, I would try to give it more of a powerful-leader kind-of vibe. I would love to see how the design further evolves!

Falchion – I like the general feeling of design. I think it fits the concept quite well. I would focus a bit on the ‘metally part’ of the head. I think it would look better if it was somewhat bigger.

Gravity Monkey – Loving the concept! The design is also very well made. Some alteration might be necessary to match the stats but certainly one of my favorites!

Magistrum – Liking the concept and the artwork is again on point! I have more the feeling that this is not the final evolved form yet though. It doesn’t look immensely fast/strong to me, but maybe you could alter it if necessary once the stats are decided.

Pipotchi – Liking the design and the color choices very much! Nothing to remark though, looks flawless to me, however had a slight preference for the snake design. Both look great though!

~Snake on Fajaaaah~
noobiess u said its a joke design but its actually really good, so... i would consider giving this some legs and it could be a contender tbh! some kind of lizard or frog legs would be perfect here. its a physical attacker too, so having limbs will help haha. i can really see us getting dragon claw cus the other physical dragon options are awful.
ME.. WEAK????!!! Don't see you slaying anything with those limbs of yours!!!
I kick ya ass without limbs bro!!! #ShowHumansHowSBoss

~Snake on Fajaaaah ~ OUT

Sorry for that.... where was I?

Slapperfish – I love the concept, although I think it very challenging to incorporate into a pokémon design. I like what you did with the different patterns of yellow/red/white but I’m not sure if the lava/glass on the ground works for me. I just seems like it would stuck on the ground due to glass formation

StephXPM – It’s a fun nice design! It something completely different but somehow still looks ‘pokémonish’. I would add some red color somewhere though (not much, just some small areas). Now it looks more like a fairy or psychic-type to me.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The difficult part about having multiple designs is that you eventually need to make decisions on which one you will submit. Now that stats are decided, I think it's a good time to let the community pick which design I should continue developing. :) If Secondary Ability only fits with one design, though, I'll have to go with that one.

Current progress of designs (click links to see full-size image):

Firework/axolotl/magical girl/acrobat (apparently?):
  • The skirt was changed to look like flames emissions.
  • The feet were changed to resemble more standard dragon feet.
  • The shoulders got poofier.
  • The color palette was balanced out some.
Chef/oven/gecko:
  • The fingers were made to look less bulgy.
  • The legs and tail were made more limber-looking to support a fast physical spread.
  • The tail was patterned after a leopard gecko to make it look more gecko-like (although it looks more crocodile, I think).
  • The tail was made not-smoky to avoid having three different types of smoke in the design.
  • The marking on the design's belly was tweaked to vaguely resemble an oven more?

To vote on which design I should continue to work on and submit, please click the link below.

Help me pick a design to submit!

Thanks for everyone's feedback on the direction of these designs, especially these people!
  • Agile Turtle
  • MrDollSteak
  • Nemmy
  • Pipotchi
  • Slapperfish

STEED ON FIRE [WIP]

The Concept :
  • Qilin => Dragon Type + Regenerator
  • Ignited moustaches => Fire Type + Fire Lash
  • Burning Tail + Smoke at the top => Fire Type
  • Long Tail => Dragon Tail + Breaking Swipe
  • Strong Limbs => 114 Speed Stat
  • Bulky => 108 HP Stat
  • War mount (moustaches mimicking reins + saddle on its back) => Team Support Role

Improvements History :

1. Baseline 1
    Its overall aspect is based on the Chinese mythical beast named Qilin(basically a mix between a horse and a dragon), whose head is stuck inside a magic old lamp. At its neck, the lamp is splitted into sharp pieces which form two parts of an articulated jaw. The pokemon gets two shorts wings at its back, which ends in a long elegant misty tail . At last, its chest is covered by fluffy fur, with some 'fake dragon balls' crimped in.Second sketch is more for its attitude : because its head is completely stucked, the pokemon suffers severe itching, pushing it to constantly scratch.
    As a result, the magical lamp is rubbed and a wish is granted, which, I think, suits well the cleric archetype of CAP 27. (Nevertheless, I'm new and I'm not sure if this type of thing is allowed at this stage of creation.)
    Baseline 2
    Apart from this I've come for a second interpretation of the Qilin, not so different from the previous iteration I confess, althought its head is still free! :psywoke:This time I based it on ancient chinese soldiers (17th century). More importantly the pokemon is supposed to be a war mount, in accordance with is team support role. Therefore, its super elongated moustaches tend to be reins while its tail is literrally a flag.

2. Iteration 1
  3. Iteration 2
    So the design of my first idea has improved.
    First, I was looking for something more simple, having less lines and clearer (especially its legs), and stylized it. Then, I redid the proportions thus the body evolved to something taller and even stronger (at this stage I suppose that it no longer looks like Silvally). Concerning the lamp material, I've opted for oxidized copper instead of gold initially, since it seemed more interesting and rarely seen to me, but who knows, gold could reappear as copper tend to gives this undesirable steel type feeling. Eventually, I've decided reshaping the lamp, working for a more appealing design, with large beak and twisted handle, in addition to replace its misty tail for a copper Roman Empire eagle wing.
  4. Iteration 3
  5. Iteration 4
  6. Iteration 5
  7. Iteration 6
  8. Iteration 7
  9. Iteration 8
  10. Iteration 9
  11. Iteration 10
  12. Iteration 11
  13. Iteration 12
  14. Iteration 13
  15. Iteration 14

I have a major issue with structure/perpective/anatomy. I hope I could fix that in time.
Thank you to Magistrum, Roland Le Preaux, Wulfanator72, StephanXPM, Quanyails, Pipotchi and Mova for your feedback and your suggestions.

Last edited:
WIP

I'm not as amazing an artist as many here, but I figured I'd try and make up for my inexperience with creativity. So instead of starting with the dragon like most people here, I started with the fire, namely the idea of a lava spout coming from a popping lava bubble. Bubbling lava is something that will keep spraying off more spouts, thus representing our ability Regenerator in a unique way. Then, I added features of an asian dragon to the structure of the lava spout. I'm hoping that the uniqueness of my design makes it more interesting to people than most generic dragons.

I'd welcome feedback of any kind.

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP

After a lot of trial and error (and also a lot of help from the CAP discord server), I‘ve finally come up with a design I somewhat like. My design is based on a variety of insects, mostly fire ants, (slightly) termites and wasps (imo the most dragon-like of all insects). Regenerator fits with the wasp part of my design, due to their nest building and repairing. I wanted my design to stand out as much as possible, which is why I made my submission insect-like rather than reptilian, like most designs I’ve seen so far. Any feedback is welcome!

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
WIP

Probably the last wip! I've edited the ruby seadragon to a "final" design, while the chimera didn't need any tinkering.

But i need your help! I feel like both could fit this CAP, so I made a strawpoll to decide which to use! Vote here: https://strawpoll.com/5pcyfh59
I'll use the design that wins the poll! Open until whenever

Hey guys, so I goofed and accidentally made this image way too big, so I'm attaching the image to this external imgur link here. I'm approaching my final design, from the last one I just redesigned the head and wings.

Rules say to give a warning if the file size is too big, and it's like 700 kb so yeah:
Image Link

sun_dew

formerly JAGFL
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP

I’ve decided to try to go a more dragon-y route than what I had before with my new design, based (loosely) on a plesiosaur. Regenerator fits in with the fact that it’s based on a dinosaur, which would have to have been “regenerated” to be alive (or because it’s constantly on fire).

JAGFL: That looks an awful lot like scizor. To an incredible degree.
I don’t know how I didn’t see that before, honestly. But I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Below are some comments on what I’ve seen so far:

Reiga - I absolutely love the chimera design. Everything about it is incredible and detailed while still remaining Pokemon-ish, from the coral-snake-inspired palette to the scaly draconic skin.

A_Magical_Liopleurodon - I love how unique this design is. The fiery moustache-reins are brilliant, and I love the sort of horse-ish vibe it gives off.

Shadowshocker - This design is incredible. Although I do miss the stumpy cauldron legs, the fire tail’s pose is really unique and the posing overall is amazing. I almost wish the green color was a little more subdued and/or yellowish, though.

Pipotchi - All your designs for this CaP have been great so far. Adored the fire snake, loved the personality in the lizard, and the flag dragon is a very nice bridge between the previous two designs, while still feeling incredibly unique and creative.

StephXPM - A simple and elegant take on an Asian dragon. Absolutely love it, especially the color palette.

Krazyguy75 - Very cool, very, very unique, and an interesting concept overall. Feedback-wise, I’d say that the detached “arms” don’t really seem to fit, and I wish they felt more a part of the lava spout, but otherwise, incredible design.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
WIP
Update!

(Click for higher res image exceeding 500kb)
A slight tweak making it look less bony on the frills, as I was told that they resemble fingernails. I've also done some supporting art for this midget:

(Click thumbnails for higher res images exceeding 500kb)
Regenerator and the chosen stats so far have been quite generous as far as this design is concerned, with the ability easily reasoned with the fact that lizards can cut their tails and regrow it, and that superheroes in general have regeneration as a recurring ability/power. The stat spread can be attributed to other canon pokemon in the same speed bracket that have similar body types like Heliolisk and Sceptile.

As expected, I couldn't resist putting an actual flaming part in its body. The frills burst out flames when the frilled lizard gets pumped up, albeit it still keeps the fire kanji noticeable enough. Also, as seen in the human-pokemon size comparison, it shares the same height as Heliolisk to play around with the "small hero with a big heart" trope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)