CAP27 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiju Bunny

♥・゚: * ̄(♡ㅅ♡❀) ̄
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Art Leader
Final Submission

Finally finished fluffy fox drago! Huge thank you to everyone who helped offer input!
Concept: Offensive Team Support (Trickster Cleric)
In addition to the might a dragon has already (offensive), foxes, as mentioned below, helped humans by bringing them fire. This design was also meant to act as a protector to its trainer (mentioned in the flavor and proposed height reference above). Additionally, foxes are heavily associated with being sly and acting as a trickster, which would support the "Trickster Cleric" idea.

Typing: Fire / Dragon
In most cultures, dragons are mostly associated with fire. In addition, most notably in Native American culture, foxes are also associated with being bringers of fire to humans. The sleekness and shape of this design is meant to mimic the shape of a traditional Chinese/Japanese dragon, hence the justification for its dragon typing.

Ability: Regenerator
Many a reptile are known for growing back body parts after losing them, whether it be in mythology (The Greek Hydra) or in real life (Geckos, Bearded Dragons, etc.), it's safe to assume that dragons wouldn't be too different.

Stats:
Having a relatively strong base Attack is emphasized in the fact that most dragons are revered as symbols of great power. For the good base Speed, foxes are surprisingly quick, reaching speeds of up to 31 mph (~49.9 km/h). They are also known to be nimble and light on their feet.
For the fox bit, in many cultures, foxes represent fire, most notably in Native American culture, where foxes were depicted as being ones who brought fire to humankind.

For the dragon bit, I felt the slender and sleekness of an average Eastern dragon fit well with the slyness of a fox. In addition, I felt the whiskers could more easily represent small tendrils of smoke (which the whiskers were meant to wave on their own with this design to help push that idea).

While the image explains it a bit, some added flavor for this hybrid would be that it's very proud of its soft and warm fur which holds in highly combustible live embers, and will actively let anyone pet it, though if you happen to pet too much, the fur can ignite from friction and explode, showering anyone or anything in small but dangerously fiery scales.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Imgur Link: https://imgur.com/BOzQPzj

Tube worm mixed with a combination of gorgons and black smoker volcanoes.

Fire Type: The fire type is shown in the smoke from the tail and in the hair. Giant tube worms only live around underwater volcanoes, where the water is supeheated and black mineral rich smoke is neing produced.
Dragon Type: The design incorporates two main reptilian monsters of myth. First, the design takes inspiration from sea serpents, with the neck, tail, and back rising from the ground as a sea serpent would the ocean. The second bit of inspiration is that of the gorgons, shown with the smaller worms in the larger design's hair, as a gorgon would have snakes in their hair.
Regenerator: The smaller worms can be knocked off of the body and quickly regenerated from the smoke. This is also justified by the general regenerative capabilities of worms, working with the idea that a worm cut in half can split into two worms.
108 HP: The tall and bulky body alongside thick hair shows that the design can take a hit, and this high HP stat is shared with other burrowing pokemon such as Dunsparce and Excadrill.
108 Attack: The large claw of smoke and the toothy mouth show physical prowess.
74 Defense: The elongated, unarmored body doesn't provide a fair deal of armor, justifying low defense.
92 Special Attack: The prowess for creating smoke and the many heads to fire off beam and fire attacks allow for a respectable special attack stat.
64 Special Defense: The design does not have any armor or mystical capabilities to deflect special attacks, leading to a low spdef stat.
114 Speed: [The design can burrow fast through the volcanic ground, and there is precednt for burrowing pokemon being very fast, shown by Excadrill, Colossoil, and Dugtrio.
Support: Tube worms support their ecosystem by being the basis for chemosynthesis, building the base for benthic food webs. The gorgon aspect helps as well, as they incapacitate enemies instead of going for the outright kill.
Moves: The design is in the ground, making it harder to use pivoting moves such as u-turn, as the general movepool consensus seems to be against pivot moves. Taunt can be fit onto the design, and crippling status moves can be worked as well, especially paralysis due to the gorgon origins.

High Res Art: https://imgur.com/6dYe1Hg
Supporting Art
Worm out of the ground, head regeneration: https://imgur.com/HQLemmz
Attacks: https://imgur.com/kMxmYUz

Credit to the CAP discord for help with the design, especially Pipotchi Quanyails Sunfished BaffleTome Roland le preaux and Falchion

Last edited:
Final Submission

https://i.imgur.com/yMhGy7f.png

...That annoying bully that somehow managed to be popular in school...
...The girl who seeks attention by getting herself a shiny new belly button ring..
...That instagram guy who gets all the likes by posting pictures of his abbs the whole time...
That is was Snake of Fajaaah is about!
It is that thoughtless shallow object that somehow gets the attention because it is shiny and cool.
A FIRE/DRAGON POKéMON!
Like, the coolest type EVER!
Therefore there is also no deeper meaning in the design of Snake on fajaaah. It's just ... a snake on fire!
There isn't put much thought into it. It is not carefully designed, I didn't try to take things like stats and ability too much into account.
I just drew the first thing what came in my mind and tried to make it look cool.
I don't think everyone will read this and get the concept while voting, but that is kind of my point.
Thoughtfull things just are less easily appreciated and sometimes get overshadowed by a shiny object.
The concept of team support I kind of like here, because at times like these we as a society heavily rely on these people to do the right thing. It embodies..
~Snake of Fajaaah~

Ya Talkin bout me brah??!!
Are you Talking Crap again?? Do Ya expect People to Believe this SH*T??!!
Seriously Noobies, Saying Things Like this, You ll Never get Layed!
#UltimateDragonBURN

~Snake of Fajaaah OUT~

Last edited:
Final Submission

Supporting Art (>500kb)

Reasoning behind my design:

The slim but muscular body and legs imply speed as well as physical strength.
The claws and flames on the legs can be used for attacks like dragon claw and fire lash, while the mane and flames on the legs form a huge ball of fire when attacking with flare blitz.
The fiery mane is supposed to be semitransparent, making it elemental rather than physical, to hint at a usable special attack.
The thick tail Stores gas, which is used to regenerate its flames.
Its size is supposed to make the high HP stat look reasonable.

For reference check out my supporting art.

My final design takes from several inspirations.

Mythical Salamander
The basic idea of the design springs from the mythological salamander. The properties they possess, are in many ways connected to European dragons. They are creatures living in fire, sometimes even born from it, are venemous - causing burns, paralysis and heavy poisoning - but can also be healing and demonstrate magical properties.
This mythological creature is a symbol for destruction and regeneration in Alchemy and Leonardo da Vinci describes the Salamander as being able to consume fire and regenerate itself from it.

So the mythological aspects Of the Salamander tie in well with Cap 27 being fire and dragon type, a movepool that might contain moves, that are detrimental to its opponent, as well as moves that can heal teammates and its ability regenarator.

Suān Ni
The Suān Ni, also known as Xi Xi of Fu Xi, is one of the nine sons of the the mythological dragon king. It is a hybrid of dragon and Lion with a fiery mane and usually connected to the element of fire.
It is fierce, strong and dependable.
Sculptures of it often ornate the entrance of a building or parts of the roof and are said to guard the house from any harm.
Being connected to fire, It is also sometimes depicted on the base of pots, where it is said to grant wishes of plenty and wealth.

This dragon accounts mostly for the fiery mane in my design, as well as the clawed feet and strong legs.
My Pokémon is also roughly the size of a big lion.
The ornamental flames on and the rim on the mouth of my mon, as well as the colors I used are inspired mostly by depictions of the Suān Ni on temple roofs.
Being a creature, that can grant Wishes and protect others from harm through its strength, ties in well with the concept of this Cap as well.

Fire Salamander
This is the real life version of the mythical Salamander. It is a poisonous Amphibian, that is mostly found in middle and Southern Europe. It is yellow with black or orange spots and like many other salamanders is able to regrow whole limbs if it looses one to an enemy.
The connection to the mythical being originates from a behavior common to many species of salamander: hibernating in and under rotting logs. When wood is brought indoors and put on the fire, the creatures "mysteriously" appear from the flames.

The salamander lends its skinny body, the spots on the tail and it’s ability to regenerate to my design. It is also venomous, secreting poison that can feel like a heavy burn, which fits poison flavor as well as will o wisp.

Gas Stove Tops
This one might be a bit of a stretch but the flames of an open fire stove connect the other three elements.
Real life salamanders where thrown into cooking fires, which generated the myth around it, going as far as implying that mythical Salamanders are born from stove fires, that are tended to for 7 years, while the Suan Ni is often used as ornament on cooking pots.
I chose to go with Gas flames, because both the Suan Ni and the Slamander are Elementals of Fire in mythology and gas flames are the most elemental real life fire (as they seemingly spring from thin air).
This connection found its way into my design via the blue flames as well as the black body, which is curved up in its attacking pose, much like the metal rods above gas stoves.

Good luck and thank you everyone on discord for helping me develop this design.

Older Versions (>500kb)

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
Final Submission

Marshmallad (name pending) is over! Takes inspiration from, uh, marshmallows and ostrichs, with of course some generic dragon elements.
It looks like a dragon and it's back is on fire lol
Seriously tho the whole concept revolved around "campfire dragon". The brown limbs are supposed to represent stricks mounted with marshmallows while the other brown "rock" parts are burnt spots.

I tried to base my general shape off of Dodrio to make it look kinda fast, which I think looks decent. It's also round and fluffy, so that gives it its bulk, but it also has claws and a fire jaw to pass off the "physical attackness". For regenerator, I guess you could say that going back to its pokeball gives it time to cool off and harden it's molten part a little bit.

All of those image links are probably over 500 Ko

Supporting elements

First version
Second version
"The collage of dread"
Finally getting it right
Final submission (full res)

Last edited:
Final Submission

I'm more of a pixel artist, but figured I could try a larger canvas for my submission. This pompadoured punk dragon I whipped up today was a fun piece, looking forward to sprite submissions.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Final Submission
MAIN DESIGN

(Click thumbnails for higher res images exceeding 500kb)
This is my CAP 27 Design entry, based on the Frilled Lizard.

SUPPORTING MATERIAL

(Click thumbnails for higher res images exceeding 500kb)
As their name suggests, frilled lizards are known for their neck frills which give them a striking appearance, unfolding them when they are poised to attack or to attract mates. In my design the frills are arranged to resemble the fire kanji (火) as a nod to the Fire typing, which is further pronounced when it bursts aflame.

I also incorporated a hero theme into the design as heroes in popular media nowadays tend to work in teams. Team support. Offensive support. Hey, it works. The hero mask is an obvious nod to this theme, giving it a sharp appearance as well. The tail is widened and made so that it resembles a flowing cape.
Stats: 108 / 108 / 74 / 92 / 64 / 114
Regenerator and the chosen stats so far have been quite generous as far as this design is concerned, with the ability easily reasoned with the fact that lizards can cut their tails and regrow it (related to why the Slowpoke family gets Regen as well) and that superheroes in general have regeneration as a recurring ability/power. The stat spread can be attributed to other canon pokemon in the same speed bracket that have similar body types like Heliolisk and Sceptile.

Supporting Art
A B C D

(A & B) WIP iterations, (C) Burn Up TTGL Style (D) Relative Size
CLOSING REMARKS
I really enjoyed making this guy, and it reinvigorated my love for mecha for some reason (hence the TTGL support art lol). Thanks for all the feedback here in the forums and on CAP Discord!

Final Submission

STEED ON FIRE

The Concept :
  • Qilin => Dragon Type + Regenerator
  • Ouroboros sign in its chest => Regenerator + 108 HP Stat
  • Ignited moustaches => Fire Type + Fire Lash
  • Long Tail => Dragon Tail + Breaking Swipe
  • Strong Limbs => 114 Speed Stat
  • Bulky => 108 Atk Stat + 108 HP Stat
  • War mount (moustaches mimicking reins + saddle on its back) => Team Support Role

Improvements History :

1. Baseline 1
    Its overall aspect is based on the Chinese mythical beast named Qilin(basically a mix between a horse and a dragon), whose head is stuck inside a magic old lamp. At its neck, the lamp is splitted into sharp pieces which form two parts of an articulated jaw. The pokemon gets two shorts wings at its back, which ends in a long elegant misty tail . At last, its chest is covered by fluffy fur, with some 'fake dragon balls' crimped in.Second sketch is more for its attitude : because its head is completely stucked, the pokemon suffers severe itching, pushing it to constantly scratch.
    As a result, the magical lamp is rubbed and a wish is granted, which, I think, suits well the cleric archetype of CAP 27. (Nevertheless, I'm new and I'm not sure if this type of thing is allowed at this stage of creation.)
    Baseline 2
    Apart from this I've come for a second interpretation of the Qilin, not so different from the previous iteration I confess, althought its head is still free! :psywoke:This time I based it on ancient chinese soldiers (17th century). More importantly the pokemon is supposed to be a war mount, in accordance with is team support role. Therefore, its super elongated moustaches tend to be reins while its tail is literrally a flag.

2. Iteration 1
  3. Iteration 2
    So the design of my first idea has improved.
    First, I was looking for something more simple, having less lines and clearer (especially its legs), and stylized it. Then, I redid the proportions thus the body evolved to something taller and even stronger (at this stage I suppose that it no longer looks like Silvally). Concerning the lamp material, I've opted for oxidized copper instead of gold initially, since it seemed more interesting and rarely seen to me, but who knows, gold could reappear as copper tend to gives this undesirable steel type feeling. Eventually, I've decided reshaping the lamp, working for a more appealing design, with large beak and twisted handle, in addition to replace its misty tail for a copper Roman Empire eagle wing.
  4. Iteration 3
  5. Iteration 4
  6. Iteration 5
  7. Iteration 6
  8. Iteration 7
  9. Iteration 8
  10. Iteration 9
  11. Iteration 10
  12. Iteration 11
  13. Iteration 12
  14. Iteration 13
  15. Iteration 14
  16. Iteration 15
  17. Iteration 16

Thank you to Quanyails, Magistrum, Roland Le Preaux, Wulfanator72, StephanXPM, Quanyails, Pipotchi and Mova for your feedback and your suggestions.

Last edited:
Final Submission

Supporting artwork
Holy heck, Sta.sh gives long and messy URLs now.

This is version 2.0 of my birthday candle dragon from before!

RELATION TO CONCEPT:
- Fire type - based on a candle as well as a salamander (fire spirit)
- Dragon type - wavy body inspired by Eastern dragons as well as some reptiles
- continuing the trend (which I love) of modern Pokémon dragons being some of the strangest and loosest interpretations possible of "dragon"
- high HP - gooey, slightly amorphous body rather than something totally solid, thanks to the waxy candle inspiration (compare the nonstandard body materials and less-than-solid forms of many Pokémon with high HP: the bouncy Wobbuffet and Wigglytuff, the blubbery Blissey and Wailord, the rubbery Guzzlord, the inorganic Drifblim and Melmetal)
- high Attack - thickened torso (using melted wax to create the image of a slightly defined chest) and arms
- high Speed - lithe, thin body and skittish personality
- offense - physical capability to perform many of the discussed possibilities for moves examples include Dragon Claw with its thick arms and claws, Breaking Swipe with its long tail when ignited (and its flashy appearance is something associated with Attack drops in general), Fire Lash with its Heatmor-esque tongue, Flare Blitz by charging at a high speed, and even Knock Off by making its opponents release their grip when smacked by its burning-hot front feet, though none of these are so emphasized that the design relies on them, either; hopefully, it should be able to work with any moveset that's decided
- support - inspired by the association between birthday candles and wishes, which could apply literally to the move Wish or more broadly to its role in facilitating its teammates' success

FLAVOR DETAILS:
- It tries to be imposing by igniting the sparklers on its head, tail and tongue, creating a dazzling and terrifying display of fire that makes it look like a warrior; however, this often backfires, as even a slight breeze can put them out in the middle of its display.
- Mysteriously, no matter how convincingly its fire seems to have been doused, it always reignites a moment later.
- Its feet, especially the exposed claws and pads, are hot enough to melt its waxy form, so when it walks, it leaves gooey footprints in its wake.
- When spooked, it's quick to turn tail and flee... often picking up the ooze it left behind in the process! The excess wax builds up around its feet, accumulating extra layers and making its arms thicker and more durable.

OTHER DESIGN NOTES:
- When ignited, its tongue becomes a forked plume of fire evoking a stylized version of certain reptiles' tongues. When unlit, it appears as a simple candle wick.
- The wick that extends from its mouth like a tongue goes all the way through its body and also serves as its tail.
- Its skittish personality - and its tendency to leave behind footprints only to pick them back up and incorporate them into its body - was meant to reflect Regenerator, both promoting switching out often and justifying the healing by "rebuilding itself" while it does so.
- The buildup of wax around its legs slightly resembles a birthday cake, circling back to the birthday wish theme.
- The flat edge of its body before the thinner, wick-shaped tail is meant to evoke the way that some lizards can perform autotomy to escape foes, looking almost like it was severed. The trail of smoke that extends from it after its ignition leans into this, looking almost like the rest of the tail.
- I found that the previous iteration of the design looked too distant from what we know now to be CAP27's stat spread specifically, I would argue that it looked like a slow special attacker with high Special Defense, which is basically the opposite of the CAP, so I had to make some changes in service of the new stat spread. While I'm concerned that it doesn't necessarily look strongly physically biased even now, I'm content with the way I was able to incorporate all of the moves that I've seen specifically considered.
- I also did my best to make it clearer that it was a wax candle and that the wicks and smoke trails weren't wires, which I could totally see after Clambats pointed out the unintentional resemblance - hopefully this is an improvement there, both in its idle pose and in its ignited state, and thank you so much for the feedback!!

Also, thank you to Amamama, Clambats and all of the people who responded on the Discord for your feedback on the design! Quanyails, I'm sorry I didn't end up moving the anatomy in a more realistic direction like you suggested... Hopefully the justification I gave for the legs makes sense enough!

EDIT: oops, I had a transparent version and a non-transparent version and posted the wrong one! Fixing this so the non-transparent one is the final sub!

Final Submission

Like all pokemon, my design has evolved time and time again. Now we have my final piece, the obsidian arrowhead volcano hydra! I figured obsidian arrowheads make a good representation of physical fire typing, since obsidian comes from volcanos. And hydras regenerate, so that's appropriate for our ability, and hydras are dragon-esque to fit the typing. What was originally a bubble became a volcano, since that's just cooler (except literally). All in all I'm very happy with this final product; it's become something totally unique and fun.

Final Submission

Initial Sketches

The Concept
I was pretty satisfied with my entry and wanted to finish strong with it. As I stated before, it's based on Shisa, guardian statues believed to dispel bad spirits and bring fortune. When I was making sense of the prompt, CAP 27 naturally came together. I took some inspiration from eastern dragons and phoenix which organically tied in with the lion look and dual typing. I wanted to make something a bit unorthodox, a benevolent but beast with a mystical background.

Justification
Regenerator: You may have seen these statues near entrances, and there's typically two. One wards away evil spirits, while the other draws good spirits in. Shisa are sacred and protect those from harm, cure sickness, purify areas, prevent disasters, etc. Their divine healing has been honored for centuries.
Mixed Offense: As a guardian, offensive capability and coverage should be an expected quality that reassures you and covers your bases. Whether it heavily relies on physical or special moves is yet to be determined, but my design comes armed for either in this case and is only complimented by its speed stat.
Support: Despite how mighty CAP 27 appears, I designed it with the cleric role in mind firsthand. They're symbolic beings, charms and figures that hold superstitious significance. I had imagined healing and buffs initially, but there's plenty of potential to work with as the support position that can fend for itself.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

MAIN DESIGN

SUPPORTING MATERIAL

Design Influences
This design is based on the Greek/Roman God of Fire, who is also the blacksmith of the gods (the ultimate Support character). So the predominant design theme is that this dragon is a living forge or furnace. The dragon's internal combustion is constantly generating heat (Regenerator) and it has various vents on its body for it to release heat and energy. I used colors and a few tribal flourishes to hint at mythology, and also just to make the design look cool!

Design Progression
Link to an animation of my progress from sketch to finished artwork:

(click the thumbnail for the full-size animation exceeding 500kb)

As always, I had a lot of fun making this design. Good luck to all the amazing CAP artists who have taken the time to make and submit such fantastic artwork to our project!

Last edited:
Final Submission

Concept:
Based on a magma chamber and various lizards (especially geckos) as well as by old myths that volcanism is caused by a dragon living inside the earth.

Pokemon Behavior
This pokemon's body is made out of molten magma, from which it grows a tail made by successive volcanic eruptions. If it loses its tail in battle, then it generates a new one. It can shoot lava at its opponents from its tail, but charging its foes with its molten body is even more powerful. Since its body is amorphous, it can flow through fissures in the earth at great speed.

Justifiction
I really wanted Regenerator to instantly make sense upon seeing the design, so I combined the regenerative traits of volcanism and lizards. The tail is modeled after that of the leopard gecko (a tail-regrowing lizard), which has a chubby, segmented appearance. These geckos also raise their tails up like this as a display. Volcanoes grow through successive layers of lava deposition, fed by a conduit of magma, so I had each segment made from stacked layer of the volcano. In geology, magma chambers often spawn multiple volcanos. For instance, tectonic movement over a magma source could cut off supply to an existing volcano, causing it to become extinct, but the magma would eventually find a new path up to the surface, starting a new volcano (see the Hawaiian Islands). Seemed like a perfect combination for a Fire/Dragon Regenerator.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)