Chansey (update) [GP 2/2]

[Overview]

<p>Chansey completely shapes the RBY OU metagame, and is an automatic addition to most OU teams. Thanks to its 703 HP, 308 Special, and access to Softboiled, there is no special move that can get past Chansey without taking into account stat modifiers. For reference, the most powerful special move in RBY, Articuno's Blizzard, only deals a maximum damage of 25%. This allows Chansey to sponge moves from specially based threats such as Starmie, Lapras, Alakazam, Exeggutor, Jynx, and opposing Chansey. In addition, because direct paralyzing moves such as Thunder Wave or Stun Spore mostly come from specially based Pokemon, Chansey makes the best paralysis absorber in the game, as it is potentially able to neutralize other paralyzing attempts against your team once it has been paralyzed. Moreover, paralysis protects Chansey from getting frozen while not adversely affecting its special walling capabilities.</p>

<p>However, while Chansey shines on the specially defensive side, its lack of STAB and mediocre, Persian-level physical bulk prevent it from being completely dominant. Specially based Explosion users, such as Exeggutor, Gengar, and Cloyster, can take out Chansey; powerful physical sweepers, such as Snorlax, Tauros, Rhydon, and Golem, can also prey on her low Defense. However, Chansey can still get past these threats with the right move. For example, it outspeeds and 2HKOes Rhydon and Golem with Ice Beam as long as it isn't paralyzed, and cripples physical attackers such as Tauros and Snorlax with Thunder Wave. Additionally, it can even run Counter or Reflect to surprise said physical sweepers.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Wall
move 1: Ice Beam
move 2: Softboiled
move 3: Thunder Wave / Counter
move 4: Thunderbolt / Counter

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Ice Beam is Chansey's main attacking move. Without it, Golem and Rhydon would be able to switch in for free, and Chansey would have no chance of scoring a freeze, for example, against opposing Chansey. Softboiled is a must as well, as it allows Chansey to repeatedly sponge attacks and recover HP when necessary. Keeping Chansey at high health whenever possible is recommended, as this lets her paralyze Snorlax or Tauros before having to switch out. Thunder Wave is mostly useful for crippling sweepers such as Tauros, Snorlax, Zapdos, and Persian, and often deters them from switching in. Due to the importance of paralysis in RBY, Thunder Wave is an excellent move against anything except maybe other Chansey.</p>

<p>For the last slot, there are two main options. Thunderbolt is the more recommended move as it allows Chansey to hit Water-types such as Starmie, Lapras, Slowbro, and Cloyster for super effective damage while nabbing a fairly strong hit on Jynx. Without Thunderbolt, these Pokemon, especially Starmie, can stay in on Chansey and go for the freeze with Blizzard or Ice Beam. While Thunder Wave will still cripple them and still act as a deterrent, Chansey would be setup bait for Slowbro. While not as common, Counter is a viable alternative as well; it will often surprise Normal-type sweepers, such as Snorlax, Tauros, and Persian, who try to capitalize on Chansey's weak Defense. Due to Chansey's titanic HP, Counter will always OHKO Snorlax and Tauros using Body Slam. It should be noted, however, that some players like to check for Counter first by either using Earthquake or switching back to their own Chansey. Counter can also be used for punishing a predicted Hyper Beam. However, to do this, Chansey needs to be at full health, as a STAB Hyper Beam can deal around 75% damage.</p>

<p>One could also drop Thunder Wave instead of Thunderbolt in order to use Counter. However, note that Counter does not fully cover physical sweepers; Tauros and Snorlax can still use Earthquake, which, in conjunction with full paralysis or a well-timed Hyper Beam, will beat Chansey easily. Replacing Thunder Wave for Counter will also limit Chansey against Zapdos, Slowbro, and users of partial trapping moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Chansey can only beat opposing Chansey with Ice Beam's freeze chance; the same applies to special attackers such as Starmie and Jynx. Because paralysis grants immunity to freeze, a common strategy consists of not paralyzing Chansey and fishing for the freeze instead. However, this is risky as, if a freeze war occurs, both players will have a 50% chance of scoring the freeze, and the user of the frozen Chansey will be significantly handicapped for the rest of the battle. Chansey's exploitable Defense makes a more offensive approach a viable alternative, and is, of course, the path to take should you accidentally paralyze it. Powerful physical sweepers should be your main options here; examples include Rhydon, Golem, and especially Snorlax. Tauros is not a recommended pick, however, as its potential to make an impressive late-game impact would be severely reduced if it were to get paralyzed. If looking to apply this strategy, one should first paralyze Chansey.</p>

<p>When taking the offensive approach, note that even though Snorlax is bulky enough to take hits from Chansey, unless you can predict Chansey switch-ins with regularity, Snorlax could get worn down on the switch before making an impact if he is struggling getting past bulky Pokemon such as Rhydon, Golem, Exeggutor, Lapras, and especially Cloyster. Meanwhile, Rhydon and Golem will need to get past Exeggutor and Starmie, and a healthy Chansey can afford to take a hit and retaliate with Ice Beam. For this reason, you should be aware that paralyzing Chansey will give your opponent the edge in stall wars, and if your physical sweepers struggle getting past physically bulky and healthy defensive cores, you might get worn down eventually. Nonetheless, there are other Pokemon that will benefit from a paralyzed Chansey, such as Slowbro, Zapdos, and Jolteon, and Dragonite and Cloyster as well if partial trapping moves are not banned. Paralysis is also the way to go if your team does not pack Chansey.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Reflect works as an alternative to Counter and helps against physical sweepers as well. It is not as game-breaking as Counter, but it doesn't completely rely on the element of surprise and works against all physical attacks, including Earthquake from Golem and Rhydon, as opposed to Counter, which in RBY only works against Normal- and Fighting-type attacks. Reflect is especially useful against slow physical sweepers such as Snorlax, Golem, and Rhydon due to their low critical hit rate; it also helps Chansey soak up Explosion from special attackers such as Exeggutor and Gengar. Reflect Chansey will often lead to stall plays, much like Reflect Alakazam does. However, Reflect is much more common on Alakazam as it's faster and has greater freedom with its moveslots; with Reflect, Chansey has to drop Thunderbolt or Thunder Wave, which limits it versus Water-types or reduces its ability to cripple sweepers, respectively.</p>

<p>Sing is another move Chansey can use effectively, but it's uncommon due to its poor accuracy and Thunderbolt's predominance in the last slot. This is not necessarily a bad thing, though, as Sing Chansey is unexpected and could let you score a more rewarding sleep, against opposing Chansey or Snorlax for instance. Combined with Counter, Sing makes up for a very high-risk, high-reward combination. To pull off this strategy, you need to switch a healthy Chansey into Hyper Beam from the likes of Snorlax or Tauros, put the Hyper Beam user to sleep, and then Counter whatever your opponent switches in for an OHKO. However, this strategy has many flaws that limit its effectiveness. First, Sing will miss almost half the time, and if it does, you will be left with a Chansey in the KO range of the physical sweeper's Body Slam. In addition, Chansey will have to drop both Thunderbolt and Thunder Wave, which will severely limit her. Lastly, as Hyper Beam is most commonly used mid- or late-game, it's very likely that Sleep Clause will have already been activated.</p>

<p>While Blizzard is the preferred Ice-type move for most Pokemon, Ice Beam is recommended on Chansey, as the extra PP can make a difference in a freeze war or a stall war. Nonetheless, Blizzard's extra power can come in handy for wearing down Snorlax on the switch-in a bit more quickly, as well as for nabbing the 3HKO on Tauros and the OHKO on Dragonite.</p>

<p>Other gimmicky options for the last slot include Light Screen, Flash, Seismic Toss, and Defense Curl; however, it's advised to stick to the options previously mentioned. The former will allow Chansey to completely wall Slowbro, while the next two help it deal with Alakazam. Defense Curl works a bit like Reflect, but has more PP and provides boosts that can be stacked. Reflect is overall the best choice for doubling Chansey's Defense in one turn, though.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Chansey's limited offensive power, opposing Chansey and Alakazam can both easily neutralize her attacks thanks to Softboiled and Recover, respectively. However, these two cannot recover from a possible Ice Beam freeze. Chansey can fight back with her own Ice Beam in hopes of scoring the freeze first, but keep in mind that paralysis grants immunity to freeze, giving a paralyzed Chansey the edge in the Chansey war. Meanwhile, Alakazam can use STAB Psychic to accumulate Special drops on Chansey; in conjunction with random critical hits and full paralysis, this will eventually force Chansey out. However, Psychic will run out of PP quickly. Nevertheless, Alakazam's Recover packs 16 PP more than Chansey's Softboiled, so it's also possible for Alakazam to force Chansey out by PP stalling, but that increases Chansey's chances to freeze Alakazam if the latter isn't paralyzed. In any case, Chansey can switch back into Alakazam whenever she wants after switching out to remove Special drops or avoid wasting PP.</p>

<p>Chansey can also be dealt with offensively by using strong physical attacks. Snorlax is bulky enough to take some hits and can reply with a powerful STAB Body Slam or Hyper Beam, eventually beating Chansey unless it gets really lucky. If things get bad, Snorlax's Selfdestruct is powerful enough to OHKO Chansey. Rest Snorlax is especially useful when fighting Chansey, as Rest lets it shrug off paralysis. However, one will have to watch out for threatening sweepers, such as Tauros and Zapdos, switching into it while it is asleep. Rhydon and Golem can switch into Thunder Wave or Thunderbolt and outspeed a paralyzed Chansey. Rhydon's Earthquake will always 2HKO Chansey, and Golem, while not as powerful, can 2HKO with Earthquake and also has access to Explosion to OHKO in dire circumstances. These two should watch out for Ice Beam, though, as they take around 60% damage from it. Tauros and Persian hate paralysis, but they can also capitalize on Chansey's weak Defense with their powerful STAB Normal-type moves. Persian generally needs Chansey to be paralyzed to stand a chance, but if it is, Persian will usually win the match-up, even if Chansey paralyzes Persian in return. In any case, it's not recommended to switch Tauros or Persian directly into Chansey due to the threat of Thunder Wave. Zapdos and Jolteon can hit Chansey hard with Drill Peck and Double Kick, respectively. Jolteon can take hits from Chansey well, but much like Tauros and Persian, hates paralysis. Cloyster, Dragonite, and Victreebel can potentially get past Chansey with their partial trapping moves, especially the latter two, but they rely on luck to do so. Exeggutor, Cloyster, Gengar, Snorlax, and Golem can use Explosion against Chansey; Gengar's Explosion is weaker, though, and won't OHKO a healthy Chansey.</p>

<p>Some physical sweeping attempts can be stopped if Chansey packs Counter or Reflect, however. Counter is especially dangerous as it might take out your Snorlax or Tauros. Reflect's ability to halve damage from physical hits will often lead to stall plays, as it can protect Chansey from physical sweepers and Explosion, but it will not make a difference against Persian, who will always score a critical hit with Slash. However, if Chansey forgoes Thunderbolt, Water-types can take it on. Starmie could neutralize Chansey and fish for a Blizzard freeze, while Slowbro can easily set up with Amnesia. Lapras and Cloyster are immune to freeze and take almost no damage from Chansey's only attacking move, Ice Beam. If Chansey decides to go without Thunder Wave instead, it would no longer be able to spread paralysis, and fast sweepers such as Tauros, Persian, Zapdos and Jolteon would now be able to take it on more easily. Moreover, the lack of Thunder Wave also limits Chansey against Slowbro and users of partial trapping moves.</p>

Does Counter really need to be its own set? I don't see why it can't just be slashed with Thunderbolt on the wall set.

Does Counter really need to be its own set? I don't see why it can't just be slashed with Thunderbolt on the wall set.
I originally intended to mention Reflect in the Counter set too. Now idk. Thoughts on this befoer I continue tomorrow?

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
I'm no RBY pro or anything, but I don't really think Counter needs its own set. Both sets are identical except for one move- Counter. Just slash it in after Thunderbolt. I can see where counter would be useful, but I don't think you need to completely write in a whole other set comments section when you're virtually saying the same thing as the other set except for one move.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Making Counter its own set seems to imply that it's no longer a Special Wall if you go with Counter. That might also be because of the way the first set is named. All things considered, Chansey really only runs one set (Ice Beam + Thunder Wave + Softboiled, then Tbolt/Counter/Reflect/Sing in the last slot).

I think if you were to separate this in two sets somehow, it'd be Tbolt/Counter Chansey, followed by Reflect Chansey, with Sing being mentioned in OO (along with mentioning how Sing + Counter can be an effective gimmick, but no more than a gimmick because you give up Twave to do it).

okay, i will only make one set. I'll slash Counter after tbolt, and then mention Reflect and the other moves in OO imo.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I agree. Chansey is really only the one set with the same three moves and then the wild card with Thunderbolt being the most common and Counter second most. Reflect and Sing both deserve OO mentions only.

On Counter Chansey I'm not so sure Chansey (in general) scares off DE Eggy or BSlam Lapras as both have decent enough chances of beating Chansey (Eggy with Explosion and Lapras with paras/crit blizzards esp if Slam paras on the switch-in).

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah, Chansey definitely isn't abusing switch-outs with Counter the same way Jynx is. She doesn't have the Speed, and doesn't really scare much of anything; even the examples you listed outspeed Chansey, are bulky enough to afford staying in on a possible Tbolt or IB, and as evan said they both can actually do something to Chansey.

The rest of the analysis so far is golden, though.

okay, i'll take out that sentence. I wasn't sure myself about saying it or not, I know it's a very situational thing. What's true though, is that even if Egg/lapras stay in, they are likely to use Slam/de again, but idk, Ill just remove that part.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
Since the only faults I can think of for this are teeny tiny nit-picks, imma go ahead and APPROVE this.
That being said, here's the nit-picks:

• "Easily the most impactful Pokemon on the metagame" in the Overview should probably be scratched or changed to "one of the most impactful". Granted, it's flavor text, but it kinda makes Chansey seem more unarguably good than it is. Plus, Chansey's status as "most impactful" is pretty arguable since Tauros, Snorlax, and Exeggutor are also automatic entries on most teams.
  • If you're going to off-handedly mention and subsequently dismiss silly gimmicks in that last OO paragraph, you should include Defense Curl, too, since it acts kinda like Reflect and has massive PP to help Chansey out in the event of an all-out stall war.
  • In the Checks and Counters secion, I'd place more emphasis on Tauros and Persian hating paralysis and thus being shaky "counters". Right now, the way it's worded makes it sound like they kinda-sorta hate paralysis, but letting them take it as they switch in to counter Chansey is an acceptable loss. Really drive the point home that these guys should not be switching in on Chansey unless it's after a death; just saying "they hate paralysis" isn't enough and sounds like something you'd just say off-hand.
  • Golem scares paralyzed Chansey without necessarily having to bluff Explosion (the analysis mostly mentions Golem as a threat to Chansey because it can Explode). Sure, it doesn't get Rhydon's guaranteed 2HKO with EQ, but it's still got a decent chance at the 2HKO that is amplified by even the smallest amount of chip damage and the chance of an FP.
  • Speaking of Reflect, you do mention how it doesn't rely on surprise and lets it beat Golem/Rhydon, but it might be a good idea to explicitly specify "because it works on EQ, too".

This analysis is excellent work as is, so feel free to take these suggestions with a grain of salt.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
You say there is no special move to get past Chansey but that isnt really true. Psychic or Bro's surf will do it.

Awful physical defense is just not how I would describe Chansey. I mean, it survives two Golem's Earthquakes, needs a hyperbeam to be 2hkoed by Tauros, and it can survive Eggy and Cloyster explosions, it always survives Gengars.. It's a tank. I guess if you said awful defense stat that would be true, but slightly misleading.

I think this should be split into sets just because of the sheer volume of text here. And to be honest, I think there should be more.

On the other hand, I am not entirely sure what the sets should be..

I think sing could be worth it, you really are underestimating it here, Chansey is extraordinarily bulky, it will get plenty of chances to miss. Then you can add the bit about sing + counter. There is definitely more detail possible for that, I mean it isnt just about predicting hyperbeams. If a Tauros Switches in you can sing it as it bodyslams you and still OHKO everything but a switched in Chansey, who takes 80% anyway.. Even shit like Jolteon and Lapras will net you massive damage on whatever tries to switch in. Also it might be worth mentioning that after countering a hyperbeam you are usually not on particularly high health.

My preference is the slashed moves go over thunderwave rather than thunderbolt.. Not always, but, usually. There isnt really great synergy between thunderwave and counter. It's no good countering them and having them FP..

Blizzard needs to mention the fact that it can OHKO Dragonite with average damage. It also three hit kos Tauros on average too. Mention that ice beam is more prevalent because of freeze wars and pp, but I wouldnt rate blizzard so poorly.

Golem 2hkos chansey often enough. It kinda sounds like you are saying it cant, or its particularly unlikely.

I dunno what we are doing about ubers, but light screen definitely deserves a mention in that. For Bro and boltbeam mewtwo.

Maybe mention freeze clause.

I would make freeze wars a bigger part of this. Because that is really the key piece of strategic information. Ice beam is your main attack because every time you use it is a chance to freeze. Paralysis is good because if you are par you cant be frozen.

I won't be able to continue working on this until around Tuesday, so please wait before approving or don't expect the analysis to be edited before Tuesday. Sorry.

I am going to cp the two last posts and try to edit the analysis in a Word docoment or something, but dont expect anything here before next Tuesday/Wednesday

Hey, sorry for double posting but I'm waiting for suggestions/approvals!

EDIT: umm, I've made changes since then but I guess this counts right? (and the changes followed his and Himponlee's suggestions)
Jorgen: imma go ahead and APPROVE this

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

[Overview]

<p>
Chansey completely shapes the RBY OU metagame, and is an automatic addition to most OU teams. With 703 HP, 308 Special, and access to Softboiled, there is no special move able to which can get past Chansey without taking into account stat modifiers. For reference, the most powerful special move in RBY, Articuno's Blizzard, only deals a maximum damage of 25%. This allows Chansey to sponge special moves from a lot of special based Pokemon special attackers such as Starmie, Lapras, Alakazam, Exeggutor, Jynx, and opposing Chansey. In addition, since most direct paralyzing moves like such as Thunder Wave or Stun Spore mostly come from special based Pokemon special attackers, Chansey makes the best paralysis absorber in the game, potentially being able to neutralize paralyzing attemps once Chansey it has been paralyzed. Moreover, paralysis not only almost does not affect to Chansey's walling capabilities in the special side, but also protects Chansey from getting frozen while not adversely affecting its special walling capabilities.</p>

<p>However, while Chansey shines in the special side defensively, its lack of STAB
and a mediocre, Persian-like physical defense bulk when you combine its titanic HP with its awful Defense stat, (I removed this part since the sentence was becoming excessively long; besides, Chansey's dreadful Defense is obvious enough) prevent Chansey from being even more dominant. Special based attacking exploders such as Exeggutor, Gengar, and Cloyster can thus take out Chansey as it switches in abuse said defensive stat and try to take out Chansey this way, if the user of Chansey decides to switch her into these Pokemon. Powerful physical sweepers such as Snorlax, Tauros, Rhydon, and Golem can also punish her low Defense. However, Chansey can still get past these threats with the right move. While it can't do anything to Snorlax, it outspeeds and 2HKOes Rhydon and Golem with Ice Beam as long as it isn't paralyzed, and cripples fast physical attackers such as Tauros with Thunder Wave; additionally, it can even run Counter or Reflect to surprise the said physical sweepers. However, Chansey still has ways to respond against these. When not paralyzed, Chansey outspeeds Golem and Rhydon and with Ice Beam can hit these two for a 2HKO. While not able to hit other physical sweepers for so high amounts of damage, and in fact only able to 5-6HKO Snorlax, Chansey can still cripple these sweepers with Thunder Wave, which will severely limit their offensive capabilities, although will not prevent them from beating Chansey one-on-one and will force Chansey out, thus getting a free turn to hit whatever switches in. In addition, Chansey can also use Counter or even Reflect to surprise physical sweepers. As a result, many players will not like to get their physical sweepers paralyzed and a good amount of battles will feature a "freeze war" which consists in both players trying to freeze the opposing Chansey with Ice Beam before their own Chansey gets frozen.</p> (I understand Chansey is a massively important Pokemon in RBY, but you don't need to write such an enormous, detailed Overview. That's why I simplified the latter half of the second paragraph. Also, the last two sentences about freeze wars is a ''general'' thing that belongs more in AC or Counters; you have anyway written in detail about freeze wars in AC.)

[SET]

(remove the line break)

move 3: Thunder Wave
/ Counter

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Ice Beam is Chansey's main atacking move. Without it, Golem and Rhydon would be able to switch in for free, and Chansey would have no chance of scoring a freeze, for example, against opposing Chansey. Softboiled is a must too, as it alows Chansey to wall all the special attackers based Pokemon it's meant to wall, recovering HP when necessary. Keeping Chansey at high health whenever possible is recommended to let her paralyze Snorlax or Tauros before having to switch out. Thunder Wave is mostly useful for crippling sweepers like such as Tauros, Snorlax, Zapdos and Persian,
often acting as a deterrent to these. However, due to the importance of paralysis in RBY, Thunder Wave is an excellent move against anything except maybe other Chansey.</p>

<p>For the last slot, there are two main options. Thunderbolt is by far the most common move in the last slot, as it allows Chansey to hit Water-types such as Starmie, Lapras, Slowbro, and Cloyster for super effective damage while getting a fairly strong hit on Jynx and hit Jynx for neutral damage. Without Thunderbolt, these Pokemon, especially Starmie, will have the possibility of staying into can stay in on Chansey and go for the freeze, although Thunder Wave will still cripple them, probably still acting as a deterrent. Not being able to hit Slowbro could be very problematic however, since Chansey would be a set-up bait for him it then. While not as common, Counter is a viable alternative as well. It will often surprise Normal-type sweepers like such as Snorlax, Tauros, and Persian but mostly Snorlax trying to capitalize on Chansey's weak Defense. Due to Chansey's titanic HP, Counter will always OHKO Snorlax or Tauros using Body Slam. It should be noted, however, that some players like to check for Counter first, by either using Earthquake or switching back to their own Chansey. Counter can also be used for punishing a predicted Hyper Beam. However, to do this such thing, Chansey needs to be at full health, since a STAB Hyper Beam can deal around 75% damage to Chansey.</p>

<p>
Dropping Thunder Wave instead of Thunderbolt in order to use Counter could be is another option. Although Thunder Wave is mostly useful for physical sweepers, these are not totally covered by Counter; keep in mind that Tauros and Snorlax can still use Earthquake, which, in conjunction combined with FPs full paralysis or a well-timed Hyper Beam, will beat Chansey more easily due to not being paralyzed. Lacking Thunder Wave in favor of Counter will also limit Chansey against Zapdos, Slowbro, and users of partial trapping moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>
Chansey's only shot at beating opposing Chansey comes from Ice Beam's chance to freeze. In addition, the only hopes from for some special attackers based Pokemon such as Starmie or Jynx against Chansey come from scoring a freeze. For this reason, since paralysis makes a Pokemon immune to freeze, a common strategy consists of not paralyzing Chansey and going for the freeze instead. This is risky nonetheless, since if a freeze war occurs, both players will have a 50% chance of scoring the freeze, and the user of the frozen Chansey will be really handicapped for the rest of the battle. However, Chansey's exploitable physical Defense makes taking a more offensive approach a viable alternative, and is, of course, the path to take should you accidentally paralyze it. To apply this strategy, the Pokemon to go are generally powerful physical sweepers like Rhydon, Golem, and especially Snorlax, since Tauros's impressive impact late in the game would get severely affected if he gets paralyzed. If looking to apply this strategy, paralyzing Chansey before is highly recommended.</p>

<p>When taking the offensive approach, however, unless you can predict Chansey switch-ins with regularity, although Snorlax is bulky enough to take some hits from Chansey, it could get worn down in switches before making an impact if he is struggling getting past bulky Pokemon like Rhydon, Golem, Exeggutor, Lapras, and especially Cloyster, even though he is bulky enough to take some hits from Chansey. Meanwhile, Rhydon and Golem will need to get past Exeggutor and Starmie, and a healthy Chansey can afford taking a hit to attack them with Ice Beam in return. For this reason, before paralyzing Chansey, it should be taken into account that doing this will give your opponent the edge in stall wars, and if your physical sweepers struggle getting past physically bulky and healthy defensive cores, you may get worn down eventually. However, there are also other Pokemon that will benefit from paralyzing Chansey, such as Slowbro, Zapdos, and Jolteon, or even Dragonite and Cloyster as long as if partial trapping moves are not banned. Paralysis is also the way to go should if your team does not pack Chansey.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Reflect works as an alternative to Counter and is intended to help against physical sweepers as well. It is not as gamebreaking as Counter, but on the other hand, it doesn't completely rely on surprise and works against every type of all physical attacks, including Earthquake from Golem and Rhydon, as opposed to Counter, which in RBY only works against Normal- and Fighting-type attacks. Reflect is especially useful versus slow physical sweepers like such as Snorlax, Golem, and Rhydon due to their low Critical Hit rate, and also makes it easier for Chansey to soak up Explosion from special attackers such as Gengar and Exeggutor . Reflect Chansey will often lead to stall plays, much like Reflect Alakazam does. However, Reflect is much more common on Alakazam, as unlike Chansey, it's faster and his has greater freedom with its moveslots; with Reflect, Chansey aren't as important as Chansey's, who has to drop Thunderbolt or Thunder Wave, which limits Chansey it versus Water-types or limits Chansey’s reduces its ability to support and (Chansey cripples opposing sweepers and thus supports its own sweeping teammates, but you don't need to mention the latter as it is obvious) cripple sweepers, respectively. Reflect is also great for halving the damage of explosions though, and can allow Chansey to completely wall exploding special Pokemon such as Exeggutor and Gengar. (I shifted this to the beginning to group it with the other advantages of Reflect, since otherwise the order is something like pros --> cons --> pros)</p>

<p>Sing is another effective move Chansey can learn. It's uncommon due to its poor iffy accuracy, and mostly due to Thunderbolt's predominance in the last slot. This is not necessarily a bad thing though, as Sing Chansey is unexpected and could let you score a more rewarding sleep, againstlike opposing Chansey or Snorlax for instance. Combined with Counter, Sing makes up for a very high-risk, high-reward combination. To pull off this strategy, you need to switch a healthy Chansey into a Hyper Beam, usually from Snorlax or Tauros, put to sleep the Hyper Beam user with Sing, and then Counter whatever your opponent switches in for an OHKO. However, this strategy has many flaws that make it not really recommended limit its effectiveness. First, Sing will miss almost half the time, and if it does, you will be left with a Chansey in the KO range of Body Slam against the physical sweeper. In addition, Chansey not only will have to drop both Thunderbolt, but also andThunder Wave, which will severely limit her. Lastly, since most Hyper Beams occur in the mid- or late-game, it's very likely that sleep clause has already been activated.</p>

<p>While Blizzard is the preferred Ice-type move for most Pokemon, Ice Beam is recommended on Chansey. Ice Beam's extra PP can make a difference in a freeze war or in a stall war, as Blizzard runs out of PP very quickly. Nonetheless, Blizzard's extra power can come in handy for wearing down Snorlax in switches a bit more quickly,
and it can also 3HKO Tauros and OHKO Dragonite.</p>

<p>Other gimmicky options for the last slot include Light Screen, Flash, Seismic Toss,
and Defense Curl. The former will allow Chansey to completely wall Slowbro, while the next two are mostly useful for dealing with Alakazam. Defense Curl works a bit like Reflect; although Reflect is overall the best choice for doubling Chansey's Defense damage in one turn, Defense Curl's 61 PP and ability to maximize Chansey's Defense, and 61 PP, could sometimes come in handy. However, it's advised to stick to the options previously mentioned.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Chansey's limited offensive power, opposing Chansey and Alakazam can both easily neutralize her attacks thanks to Softboiled and Recover, respectively. However, these two however, cannot recover from a possible freeze from Ice Beam. Chansey can fight back with her own Ice Beam aiming to score the freeze first, but keep in mind that if one of the Chansey is paralyzed, it will be immune to freeze, thus giving her the edge in the Chansey war. Alakazam meanwhile, can meanwhile use STAB Psychic to accumulate Special falls on Chansey, that, when combined in conjunction with random Critical Hits and Fully Paralysis full paralysis, will eventually force Chansey out, although Psychic runs out of PP quickly when doing this. However, since Alakazam's Recover packs 16 PP more compared to Chansey's Softboiled, it's also possible that Alakazam forces Chansey out by PP stalling, but that increases Chansey's chances to freeze an unparalyzed Alakazam if the latter isn't paralyzed. In any case, Chansey can switch back into Alakazam whenever she wants to after switching out to reset her Special stat, or to avoid wasting PP.</p>

<p>
Chansey can also be dealt with offensively focusing on by using strong physical attacks. Snorlax is bulky enough to take some hits from Chansey and can reply with a powerful STAB Body Slam or Hyper Beam, eventually going through Softboiled unless Chansey gets really lucky. In addition, if things get worse, Snorlax's Selfdestruct is powerful enough to OHKO Chansey. Rest Snorlax is especially useful when fighting Chansey, since with Rest, Snorlax can shrug off paralysis and easily wake up against Chansey, although you it (''you'' refers to the player, not the Pokemon) will have to watch out for threatening sweepers like such as Tauros and Zapdos switching into Snorlax while he sleeps it is asleep. Rhydon and Golem can switch into Thunder Wave or Thunderbolt and outspeed a paralyzed Chansey. Rhydon's Earthquake will always 2HKO Chansey, and Golem, while not as powerful, can 2HKO with Earthquake while also having access to Explosion to OHKO in dire circumstancesalso has a chance to 2HKO Chansey, and, in addition, can threaten Chansey with Explosion, which will OHKO. These two should watch out for Ice Beam though, as they take around 60% damage from it. Tauros and Persian hate paralysis, but they can also capitalize on Chansey's weak Defense with their powerful STAB Normal-type moves. Persian generally needs Chansey to be paralyzed to stand a chance though, but if she is, Persian will usually win the match-up, even if Chansey paralyzes Persian back. In any case, it's not recommended to switch Tauros or Persian into Chansey due to how much Thunder Wave limits and cripples them for later. Zapdos and Jolteon can hit Chansey hard with Drill Peck and Double Kick, respectively. Jolteon can take hits from Chansey well, but much like Tauros and Persian, hates paralysis. Cloyster, Dragonite, and Victreebel can potentially get past Chansey with their partial trapping moves, especially the latter two, but, as usual will they rely on luck to do so. Exeggutor, Cloyster, Gengar, and the already mentioned Snorlax, and Golem can use Explosion against Chansey. Gengar's Explosion is weaker though, and wont OHKO a healthy Chansey.</p>

<p>
Some of the physical sweeping attempts can be stopped if Chansey packs Counter or Reflect, however though. Counter is especially dangerous since it may result into a KO on your physical sweeper like Snorlax or Tauros. Reflect's ability to halve the damage from physical hits will often lead to stall plays, as it can protect Chansey from physical sweepers and Explosion, although Reflect but it will not make a difference against Persian, who will always score a Critical Hit with Slash. However, if Chansey foregoes Thunderbolt, some Water-types would be able to take on Chansey it. Starmie could neutralize Chansey and aim for a freeze with Blizzard, while Slowbro would easily be able to set up Amnesia. Lapras and Cloyster, as part Ice-types are immune to freeze and would take almost no damage from Chansey's only attacking move, Ice Beam. If Chansey decides to go without Thunder Wave instead, if would no longer be able to spread paralysis, including andfast sweepers such as Tauros, Persian, Zapdos and Jolteon, which would now be able to take on Chansey more easily. In addition, lack of Thunder Wave also limits Chansey against Slowbro and users of partial trapping moves and Slowbro.</p>

Issues:

• 2 Chansey, not 2 Chanseys. You do not affix the ''s'' at the end when referring to Pokemon in the plural sense.
  • It is ok to use ''he'' or ''she'' when referring to Pokemon with one gender, such as Chansey and Tauros. However, don't alternate between ''he'' and ''it'' when referring to Pokemon which can be of both genders; use either one.
  • Stats such as Attack, Defense, and Special Attack are always capitalized. Also, don't use the phrase ''physical Defense'' - ''Defense'' suffices.
  • Smogon uses the serial comma - ''cat, rat, and dog'', not ''cat, rat and dog''.
  • No curly apostrophes!
Another thing I noticed was that the AC section is almost completely about countering Chansey - there isn't any mention of good teammates for Chansey. While the RBY metagame itself has only 8-10 staples which are used on almost all teams [meaning you really can't specifically mention a lot of teammates as we do in BW analyses], you could perhaps say ''xyx supports Chansey well by beating xyz threats''. I really don't know if you can go about this seeing I don't play RBY, but do ask Hipmonlee or one of the other RBY analysis writers about this.

Otherwise, there were really only some issues of messy prose and excessive repetitions. These can easily be solved by reading some of the well-written analyses on-site, and as for some of the grammar errors I mentioned earlier, you can easily avoid making them in the future by browsing through the Spelling and Grammar Standards thread; proofreading your analysis a couple of times can help as well, as this will help you to fix trivial misspellings.

GP 1 / 2

Unless we are talking about a few specific sets/pokemon, there are not really "better" or "worse" teammates. In RBY it just depends on if the pokemon is better or worse. Of course, I could make a teammates section but it will be the same for Chansey as for something like Tauros (with the exception that Chansey's teammates will include Tauros and Tauros's teammates will include Chansey). It would be something like Starmie and Zam can help in stall wars due to recover, a psychic type such as zam/starm/egg can help against zam for when chansey has to switch out due to spc falls. In addition egg can sleep. Jynx/gengar too and a sleeper is necessary. Mons such as Tauros/Lax/Golem etc offer physical offense. Etc. Everything is standard here and always the same.

In fact, we had a similar discussion with rby Tauros and people told me to remove teammate info because of this. In this analysis, I decided to use the AC section to talk about freezing/paralysing Chansey and how to play against her, but I guess we could maybe call this section differently if you prefer.

Well anyway thanks because you had to correct a lot of things and work a lot. I agree, the overview was too big, I'll just try to say this (While it can't do anything to Snorlax) in a different way because it's not completely true.

Also, I saw you changed all "special based Pokemon" to "special sweepers". I know it's the standard name in new gens, but I'm not sure in rby. I mean, in RBY, if something is solely special, it's not a sweeper, and vice versa.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Yeah just do the same thing that you did with Tauros, don't worry about teammates.

And keep special based Pokemon if you feel it's a better description of the role rather than special sweeper.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Delete
Comment

[Overview]

<p>
Chansey completely shapes the RBY OU metagame, and is an automatic addition to most OU teams. With 703 HP, 308 Special, and access to Softboiled, there is no special move which can get past Chansey without taking into account stat modifiers. For reference, the most powerful special move in RBY, Articuno's Blizzard, only deals a maximum damage of 25%. This allows Chansey to sponge special moves from special based threats such as Starmie, Lapras, Alakazam, Exeggutor, Jynx, and opposing Chansey. In addition, since because direct paralyzing moves such as Thunder Wave or Stun Spore mostly come from special based specially-based Pokemon, Chansey makes the best paralysis absorber in the game, as she is potentially being able to neutralize paralyzing attemps once it has been paralyzed been afflicted by status. Moreover, paralysis protects Chansey from getting frozen while not adversely affecting its her special walling capabilities.</p>

<p>However, while Chansey shines in the specially defensive side side defensively, its her lack of STAB
and mediocre, Persian-like physical bulk prevents Chansey from being even more dominant. Specially-based[space]exploders such as Exeggutor, Gengar, and Cloyster can thus take out Chansey if it switches in. Powerful physical sweepers such as Snorlax, Tauros, Rhydon, and Golem can also punish her low Defense. However, Chansey can still get past these threats with the right move. It She outspeeds and 2HKOes Rhydon and Golem with Ice Beam as long as it isn't paralyzed, and cripples physical attackers such as Tauros and Snorlax with Thunder Wave; additionally, it she can even run Counter or Reflect to surprise the said physical sweepers. </p>

[SET]

move 3: Thunder Wave
/ Counter

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Ice Beam is Chansey's main atacking move. Without it, Golem and Rhydon would be able to switch in for free, and Chansey would have no chance of scoring a freeze, for example, against opposing Chansey. Softboiled is a must too as well, as it alows Chansey to wall all the specially-based Pokemon it's she's meant to wall, recovering HP when necessary. Keeping Chansey at high health whenever possible is recommended to let her paralyze Snorlax or Tauros before having to switch out. Thunder Wave is mostly useful for crippling sweepers such as Tauros, Snorlax, Zapdos and Persian,
often acting as a deterrent to these. However, due to the importance of paralysis in RBY, Thunder Wave is an excellent move against anything except maybe other Chansey.</p>

<p>For the last slot, there are two main options. Thunderbolt is by far the most common move in the last slot, as it allows Chansey to hit Water-types such as Starmie, Lapras, Slowbro, and Cloyster for super effective damage while getting a fairly strong hit on Jynx. Without Thunderbolt, these Pokemon, especially Starmie, can stay in on Chansey and go for the freeze, although Thunder Wave will still cripple them, probably still acting as a deterrent. Not being able to hit Slowbro could be very problematic however, since Chansey would be a set-up bait for it her then. While not as common, Counter is a viable alternative as well. It will often surprise Normal-type sweepers such as Snorlax, Tauros, and Persian trying to capitalize on Chansey's weak Defense. Due to Chansey's titanic HP, Counter will always OHKO Snorlax or Tauros using Body Slam. It should be noted, however, that some players like to check for Counter first by either using Earthquake or switching back to their own Chansey. Counter can also be used for punishing a predicted Hyper Beam. However, to do this, Chansey needs to be at full health, since a STAB Hyper Beam can deal around 75% damage to Chansey.</p>

<p>
Dropping Thunder Wave instead of Thunderbolt in order to use Counter is another option. Although Thunder Wave is mostly useful for physical sweepers, these are not totally covered by Counter; keep in mind that Tauros and Snorlax can still use Earthquake, which, in conjunction with full paralysis or a well-timed Hyper Beam, will beat Chansey more easily. Lacking Thunder Wave in favor of Counter will also limit Chansey against Zapdos, Slowbro, and users of partial trapping moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>
Chansey's only shot at beating opposing Chansey comes from Ice Beam's chance to freeze. In addition, the only hopes for specially-based Pokemon such as Starmie or Jynx against Chansey come from scoring a freeze. For this reason, since Because paralysis makes a Pokemon immune to freeze, a common strategy consists of not paralyzing Chansey and going for the freeze instead. This is risky nonetheless, since if a freeze war occurs, both players will have a 50% chance of scoring the freeze, and the user of the frozen Chansey will be really handicapped for the rest of the battle. However, Chansey's exploitable Defense makes taking a more offensive approach a viable alternative, and is, of course, the path to take should you accidentally paralyze it. To apply this strategy, the Pokemon to go are generally powerful physical sweepers like Rhydon, Golem, and especially Snorlax, since Tauros's impressive impact late in the game would get severely affected if he gets paralyzed. If looking to apply this strategy, paralyzing Chansey before is highly recommended. It was already explained in the previous sentence.</p>

<p>When taking the offensive approach, however, unless you can predict Chansey switch-ins with regularity,[space]Snorlax could get worn down in switches before making an impact if he is struggling getting past bulky Pokemon like Rhydon, Golem, Exeggutor, Lapras, and especially Cloyster, even though he is bulky enough to take some hits from Chansey. Meanwhile, Rhydon and Golem will need to get past Exeggutor and Starmie, and a healthy Chansey can afford taking a hit to attack them with Ice Beam in return. For this reason, before paralyzing Chansey, it should be taken into account that doing this will give your opponent the edge in stall wars, and if your physical sweepers struggle getting past physically bulky and healthy defensive cores, you may get worn down eventually. However, there are also other Pokemon that will benefit from paralyzing Chansey, such as Slowbro, Zapdos, and Jolteon, or even Dragonite[add comma] , and Cloyster if partial trapping moves are not banned. Paralysis is also the way to go if your team does not pack Chansey.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Reflect works as an alternative to Counter and is intended to help against physical sweepers as well. It is not as gamebreaking as Counter, but on the other hand, it doesn't completely rely on surprise and works against all physical attacks, including Earthquake from Golem and Rhydon, as opposed to Counter, which in RBY only works against Normal- and Fighting-type attacks. Reflect is especially useful versus slow physical sweepers such as Snorlax, Golem, and Rhydon due to their low Critical Hit rate, and also makes it easier for Chansey to soak up Explosion from special attackers such as Exeggutor and Gengar. Reflect Chansey will often lead to stall plays, much like Reflect Alakazam does. However, Reflect is much more common on Alakazam, as unlike Chansey, since it's faster and has greater freedom with its moveslots; with Reflect, Chanseyhas to drop Thunderbolt or Thunder Wave, which limits it versus Water-types or reduces its herability to cripple sweepers, respectively.</p>

<p>Sing is another effective move Chansey can learn. It's uncommon due to its her poor accuracy and[space]Thunderbolt's predominance in the last slot. This is not necessarily a bad thing [add comma] ,though, as Sing Chansey is unexpected and could let you score a more rewarding sleep, against[space] stopposing Chansey or Snorlax for instance. Combined with Counter, Sing makes up for a very high-risk, high-reward combination. To pull off this strategy, you need to switch a healthy Chansey into a Hyper Beam, usually from Snorlax or Tauros, put to sleep the Hyper Beam user with Sing, and then Counter whatever your opponent switches in for an OHKO. However, this strategy has many flaws that limit its effectiveness. First, Sing will miss almost half the time, and if it does, you will be left with a Chansey in the KO range of Body Slam against the physical sweeper. In addition, Chansey will have to drop both Thunderbolt and Thunder Wave, which will severely limit her. Lastly, since most Hyper Beams occur mid- or late-game, it's very likely that sleep clause has already been activated.</p>

<p>While Blizzard is the preferred Ice-type move for most Pokemon, Ice Beam is recommended on Chansey. Ice Beam's extra PP can make a difference in a freeze war or a stall war, as Blizzard runs out of PP very quickly. Nonetheless, Blizzard's extra power can come in handy for wearing down Snorlax in switches a bit more quickly,
and it can also 3HKO Tauros and OHKO Dragonite.</p>

<p>Other gimmicky options for the last slot include Light Screen, Flash, Seismic Toss,
and Defense Curl. The former will allow Chansey to completely wall Slowbro, while the next two are mostly useful for dealing with Alakazam. Defense Curl works a bit like Reflect Reflect is overall the best choice for doubling Chansey's Defense in one turn, Defense Curl's 61 PP and ability to maximize Chansey's Defense could sometimes come in handy. However, it's advised to stick to the options previously mentioned.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Chansey's limited offensive power, opposing Chansey and Alakazam can both easily neutralize her attacks thanks to Softboiled and Recover, respectively. However, these two cannot recover from a possible freeze from Ice Beam. Chansey can fight back with her own Ice Beam aiming to score the freeze first, but keep in mind that if one of the Chansey is paralyzed, it will be immune to freeze, thus giving her the edge in the Chansey war. Alakazam can meanwhile use STAB Psychic to accumulate Special falls on Chansey, that, in conjunction with random Critical Hits and full paralysis, will eventually force Chansey out, although Psychic runs out of PP quickly when doing this. However, since Alakazam's Recover packs 16 PP more compared to than Chansey's Softboiled, it's also possible that Alakazam forces Chansey out by PP stalling, but that increases Chansey's chances to freeze Alakazam if the latter isn't paralyzed. In any case, Chansey can switch back into Alakazam whenever she wants to after switching out to reset her Special stat or[space]avoid wasting PP.</p>

<p>
Chansey can also be dealt with offensively by using strong physical attacks. Snorlax is bulky enough to take some hits from Chansey and can reply with a powerful STAB Body Slam or Hyper Beam, eventually going through Softboiled unless Chansey gets really lucky. In addition However, if things get worse, Snorlax's Selfdestruct is powerful enough to OHKO Chansey. Rest Snorlax is especially useful when fighting Chansey, since with Rest, Snorlax can shrug off paralysis and easily wake up against Chansey, although it[space]will have to watch out for threatening sweepers such as Tauros and Zapdos switching into Snorlax while it is asleep. Rhydon and Golem can switch into Thunder Wave or Thunderbolt and outspeed a paralyzed Chansey. Rhydon's Earthquake will always 2HKO Chansey, and Golem, while not as powerful, can 2HKO with Earthquake while also having access to Explosion to OHKO in dire circumstances. These two should watch out for Ice Beam [add comma] ,though, as they take around 60% damage from it. Tauros and Persian hate paralysis, but they can also capitalize on Chansey's weak Defense with their powerful STAB Normal-type moves. Persian generally needs Chansey to be paralyzed to stand a chance [add comma] ,though, but if she is, Persian will usually win the match-up, even if Chansey paralyzes Persian back. In any case, it's not recommended to switch Tauros or Persian into Chansey due to how much Thunder Wave limits and cripples them. Zapdos and Jolteon can hit Chansey hard with Drill Peck and Double Kick, respectively. Jolteon can take hits from Chansey well, but much like Tauros and Persian, hates paralysis. Cloyster, Dragonite, and Victreebel can potentially get past Chansey with their partial trapping moves[add period], [remove comma] especially the latter two, but[space]they rely on luck to do so. Exeggutor, Cloyster, Gengar, Snorlax, and Golem can use Explosion against Chansey. Gengar's Explosion is weaker [add comma] ,though, and wont OHKO a healthy Chansey.</p>

<p>
Some of the physical sweeping attempts can be stopped if Chansey packs Counter or Reflect, however. Counter is especially dangerous since it may result into a KO on your Snorlax or Tauros. Reflect's ability to halve[space]damage from physical hits will often lead to stall plays, as it can protect Chansey from physical sweepers and Explosion, but it will not make a difference against Persian, who will always score a Critical Hit with Slash. However, if Chansey foregoes Thunderbolt, some Water-types would be able to take on it her on. Starmie could neutralize Chansey and aim for a freeze with Blizzard, while Slowbro would easily be able to set up Amnesia. Lapras and Cloyster are immune to freeze and would take almost no damage from Chansey's only attacking move, Ice Beam. If Chansey decides to go without Thunder Wave instead, if it would no longer be able to spread paralysis, and fast sweepers such as Tauros, Persian, Zapdos and Jolteon would now be able to take on Chansey more easily. In addition Moreover optional), lack of Thunder Wave also limits Chansey against Slowbro and users of partial trapping moves.</p>

This part isn't really necessary as the previous sentence explains it
uhm, I dont think so since the previos sencence(s) only talk about paralysis.

, as opposed to Counter
Removing this could be a bit misleading imo.

Also I'm not sure about the it/its -> she/her you pointed out twice. In that case, Chansey would sometimes be refered as "she" and other times as "it".

[Overview]

<p>Chansey completely shapes the RBY OU metagame, and is an automatic addition to most OU teams. With Thanks to its 703 HP, 308 Special, and access to Softboiled, there is no special move which that can get past Chansey without taking into account stat modifiers. For reference, the most powerful special move in RBY, Articuno's Blizzard, only deals a maximum damage of 25%. This allows Chansey to sponge special moves from specially based threats such as Starmie, Lapras, Alakazam, Exeggutor, Jynx, and opposing Chansey. In addition, because direct paralyzing moves such as Thunder Wave or Stun Spore mostly come from specially(remove hyphen, insert space)based Pokemon, Chansey makes the best paralysis absorber in the game, as it is potentially able to neutralize paralyzing attempts once it has been paralyzed (what does this bit mean?). Moreover, paralysis protects Chansey from getting frozen while not adversely affecting its special walling capabilities.</p>

<p>However, while Chansey shines in on the specially defensive side, its lack of STAB and mediocre, Persian-like level physical bulk prevent Chansey it from being even more completely dominant. Specially(remove hyphen, insert space)based e exploders Explosion users , such as Exeggutor, Gengar, and Cloyster, can thus take out Chansey if it switches in ; powerful physical sweepers, such as Snorlax, Tauros, Rhydon, and Golem, can also punish prey on her low Defense. However, Chansey can still get past these threats with the right move. For example, it outspeeds and 2HKOes Rhydon and Golem with Ice Beam as long as it isn't paralyzed, and cripples physical attackers such as Tauros and Snorlax with Thunder Wave. Additionally, it can even run Counter or Reflect to surprise said physical sweepers. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Ice Beam is Chansey's main attacking move. Without it, Golem and Rhydon would be able to switch in for free, and Chansey would have no chance of scoring a freeze, for example, against opposing Chansey. Softboiled is a must as well, as it allows Chansey to wall all the specially-based Pokemon it's meant to wall, repeatedly sponge attacks and recovering HP when necessary. Keeping Chansey at high health whenever possible is recommended, to as this lets her paralyze Snorlax or Tauros before having to switch out. Thunder Wave is mostly useful for crippling sweepers such as Tauros, Snorlax, Zapdos and Persian, and often acting as a deterrent to these deters them from switching in. However, Due to the importance of paralysis in RBY, Thunder Wave is an excellent move against anything except maybe other Chansey.</p>

<p>For the last slot, there are two main options. Thunderbolt is by far the most common move in the last slot, the more recommended move as it allows Chansey to hit Water-types such as Starmie, Lapras, Slowbro, and Cloyster for super effective damage while getting nabbing a fairly strong hit on Jynx. Without Thunderbolt, these Pokemon, especially Starmie, can stay in on Chansey and go for the freeze, although . While Thunder Wave will still cripple them, probably and still acting as a deterrent. Not being able to hit Slowbro could be very problematic however, since , Chansey would be set-up setup bait for it Slowbro. While not as common, Counter is a viable alternative as well; it will often surprise Normal-type sweepers, such as Snorlax, Tauros, and Persian, who trying to capitalize on Chansey's weak Defense. Due to Chansey's titanic HP, Counter will always OHKO Snorlax or and Tauros using Body Slam. It should be noted, however, that some players like to check for Counter first by either using Earthquake or switching back to their own Chansey. Counter can also be used for punishing a predicted Hyper Beam. However, to do this, Chansey needs to be at full health, since a a STAB Hyper Beam can deal around 75% damage to Chansey.</p>

<p>Dropping One could also drop Thunder Wave instead of Thunderbolt in order to use Counter is another option. Although Thunder Wave is mostly useful for physical sweepers, these are not totally covered by Counter; keep in mind that However, note that Counter does not fully cover physical sweepers; Tauros and Snorlax can still use Earthquake, which, in conjunction with full paralysis or a well-timed Hyper Beam, will beat Chansey more easily. Lacking Replacing Thunder Wave in favor of for Counter will also limit Chansey against Zapdos, Slowbro, and users of partial trapping moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Chansey's only shot at can only beating opposing Chansey comes from Ice Beam's chance to freeze. In addition, the only hopes for specially-based Pokemon such as Starmie or Jynx against Chansey come from scoring a freeze. with Ice Beam's freeze chance; the same applies to special attackers such as Starmie and Jynx. Because paralysis makes a Pokemon immune grants immunity to freeze, a common strategy consists of not paralyzing Chansey and go fishing for the freeze instead. However, this is risky nonetheless, since as, if a freeze war occurs, both players will have a 50% chance of scoring the freeze, and the user of the frozen Chansey will be real significantly handicapped for the rest of the battle. However, Chansey's exploitable Defense makes taking a more offensive approach a viable alternative, and is, of course, the path to take should you accidentally paralyze it. To apply this strategy, the Pokemon to go are generally powerful physical sweepers like Rhydon, Golem, and especially Snorlax, since Tauros's impressive impact late in the game Powerful physical sweepers should be your main options here; examples include Rhydon, Golem, and especially Snorlax. Tauros is not a recommended pick, however, as its potential to make an impressive late-game impact would get be severely affected if he reduced if it were to gets paralyzed. If looking to apply this strategy, paralyzing Chansey before is highly recommended one should first paralyze Chansey.</p>

<p>When taking the offensive approach, however note that even though Snorlax is bulky enough to take hits from Chansey, unless you can predict Chansey switch-ins with regularity, Snorlax could get worn down in on the switches before making an impact if he is struggling getting past (does this mean "as he struggles to get past"?) bulky Pokemon like such as Rhydon, Golem, Exeggutor, Lapras, and especially Cloyster, even though he is bulky enough to take some hits from Chansey. Meanwhile, Rhydon and Golem will need to get past Exeggutor and Starmie, and a healthy Chansey can afford taking to take a hit to attack them and retaliate with Ice Beam in return. For this reason, before paralyzing Chansey, it should be taken into account that doing this you should be aware that paralyzing Chansey will give your opponent the edge in stall wars, and if your physical sweepers struggle getting past physically bulky and healthy defensive cores, you may might get worn down eventually. However Nonetheless, there are also other Pokemon that will benefit from paralyzing a paralyzed Chansey, such as Slowbro, Zapdos, and Jolteon, as well as and Dragonite, and Cloyster as well if partial trapping moves are not banned. Paralysis is also the way to go if your team does not pack Chansey.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Reflect works as an alternative to Counter and is intended to helps against physical sweepers as well. It is not as gamebreaking (effective?) as Counter, but on the other hand, it doesn't completely rely on the element of surprise and works against all physical attacks, including Earthquake from Golem and Rhydon, as opposed to Counter, which in RBY only works against Normal- and Fighting-type attacks. Reflect is especially useful versus against slow physical sweepers such as Snorlax, Golem, and Rhydon due to their low critical hit rate; and also makes it easier for it also helps Chansey to soak up Explosion from special attackers such as Exeggutor and Gengar. Reflect Chansey will often lead to stall plays, much like Reflect Alakazam does. However, Reflect is much more common on Alakazam since as it's faster and has greater freedom with its moveslots; with Reflect, Chansey has to drop Thunderbolt or Thunder Wave, which limits it versus Water-types or reduces its ability to cripple sweepers, respectively.</p>

<p>Sing is another effective move Chansey can learn use effectively, but it's uncommon due to its poor accuracy and Thunderbolt's predominance in the last slot. This is not necessarily a bad thing, though, as Sing Chansey is unexpected and could let you score a more rewarding sleep, against opposing Chansey or Snorlax for instance. Combined with Counter, Sing makes up for a very high-risk, high-reward combination. To pull off this strategy, you need to switch a healthy Chansey into a Hyper Beam, usually from from the likes of Snorlax or Tauros, put to sleep the Hyper Beam user with Sing, and then Counter whatever your opponent switches in for an OHKO. However, this strategy has many flaws that limit its effectiveness. First, Sing will miss almost half the time, and if it does, you will be left with a Chansey in the KO range of Body Slam against the physical sweeper's Body Slam. In addition, Chansey will have to drop both Thunderbolt and Thunder Wave, which will severely limit her. Lastly, since most Hyper Beams occur as Hyper Beam is most commonly used mid- or late-game, it's very likely that sleep clause has will have already been activated.</p>[noparse][/noparse][/color]

<p>While Blizzard is the preferred Ice-type move for most Pokemon, Ice Beam is recommended on Chansey, Ice Beam's as the extra PP can make a difference in a freeze war or a stall war, as Blizzard runs out of PP very quickly. Nonetheless, Blizzard's extra power can come in handy for wearing down Snorlax in switches on the switch-in a bit more quickly, and it can also as well as for nabbing the 3HKO on Tauros and the OHKO on Dragonite.</p>

<p>Other gimmicky options for the last slot include Light Screen, Flash, Seismic Toss, and Defense Curl; however, it's advised to stick to the options previously mentioned. The former will allow Chansey to completely wall Slowbro, while the next two are mostly useful for help it dealing with Alakazam. Defense Curl works a bit like Reflect, but has more PP and provides boosts that can be stacked. Reflect is overall the best choice for doubling Chansey's Defense in one turn, though. Defense Curl's 61 PP and ability to maximize Chansey's Defense could sometimes come in handy. However, it's advised to stick to the options previously mentioned.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Chansey's limited offensive power, opposing Chansey and Alakazam can both easily neutralize her attacks thanks to Softboiled and Recover, respectively. However, these two cannot recover from a possible freeze from Ice Beam freeze. Chansey can fight back with her own Ice Beam aiming to in hopes of scoring the freeze first, but keep in mind that if one of the Chansey is paralyzed, it will be immune paralysis grants immunity to freeze, thus giving her a paralyzed Chansey the edge in the Chansey war. Meanwhile, Alakazam can meanwhile use STAB Psychic to accumulate Special falls drops on Chansey, that, ; in conjunction with random critical hits and full paralysis, this will eventually force Chansey out. although However, Psychic will runs out of PP quickly when doing this. However, since . Nevertheless, Alakazam's Recover packs 16 PP more than Chansey's Softboiled, so it's also possible that for Alakazam to forces Chansey out by PP stalling, but that increases Chansey's chances to freeze Alakazam if the latter isn't paralyzed. In any case, Chansey can switch back into Alakazam whenever she wants after switching out toreset her Special stat remove Special drops or avoid wasting PP.</p>

<p>Chansey can also be dealt with offensively by using strong physical attacks. Snorlax is bulky enough to take some hits from Chansey and can reply with a powerful STAB Body Slam or Hyper Beam, eventually going through running down Softboiled PP unless Chansey gets really lucky. However, If things get worse bad, Snorlax's Selfdestruct is powerful enough to OHKO Chansey. Rest Snorlax is especially useful when fighting Chansey, since with Rest, Snorlax can shrug off paralysis and easily wake up against Chansey as Rest lets it shrug off paralysis. although it However, one will have to watch out for threatening sweepers, such as Tauros and Zapdos, switching into Snorlax it while it is asleep. Rhydon and Golem can switch into Thunder Wave or Thunderbolt and outspeed a paralyzed Chansey. Rhydon's Earthquake will always 2HKO Chansey, and Golem, while not as powerful, can 2HKO with Earthquake while and also having has access to Explosion to OHKO in dire circumstances. These two should watch out for Ice Beam, though, as they take around 60% damage from it. Tauros and Persian hate paralysis, but they can also capitalize on Chansey's weak Defense with their powerful STAB Normal-type moves. Persian generally needs Chansey to be paralyzed to stand a chance, though, but if she it is, Persian will usually win the match-up, even if Chansey paralyzes Persian back in return. In any case, it's not recommended to switch Tauros or Persian directly into Chansey due to how much Thunder Wave limits and cripples them the threat of Thunder Wave. Zapdos and Jolteon can hit Chansey hard with Drill Peck and Double Kick, respectively. Jolteon can take hits from Chansey well, but much like Tauros and Persian, hates paralysis. Cloyster, Dragonite, and Victreebel can potentially get past Chansey with their partial trapping moves, especially the latter two, but they rely on luck to do so. Exeggutor, Cloyster, Gengar, Snorlax, and Golem can use Explosion against Chansey; Gengar's Explosion is weaker, though, and won't OHKO a healthy Chansey.</p>

<p>Some of the physical sweeping attempts can be stopped if Chansey packs Counter or Reflect, however. Counter is especially dangerous since it may result in a KO on as it might take out your Snorlax or Tauros. Reflect's ability to halve damage from physical hits will often lead to stall plays, as it can protect Chansey from physical sweepers and Explosion, but it will not make a difference against Persian, who will always score a critical hit with Slash. However, if Chansey foregoes Thunderbolt, some Water-types would be able to take on it can take it on. Starmie could neutralize Chansey and aim for a freeze with fish for a Blizzard freeze, while Slowbro would easily be able to can easily set up with Amnesia. Lapras and Cloyster are immune to freeze and would take almost no damage from Chansey's only attacking move, Ice Beam. If Chansey decides to go without Thunder Wave instead, it would no longer be able to spread paralysis, and fast sweepers such as Tauros, Persian, Zapdos and Jolteon would now be able to take on Chansey it on more easily. Moreover, the lack of Thunder Wave also limits Chansey against Slowbro and users of partial trapping moves.</p>
[Overview]

<p>Chansey completely shapes the RBY OU metagame, and is an automatic addition to most OU teams. Thanks to its 703 HP, 308 Special, and access to Softboiled, there is no special move that can get past Chansey without taking into account stat modifiers. For reference, the most powerful special move in RBY, Articuno's Blizzard, only deals a maximum damage of 25%. This allows Chansey to sponge moves from specially based threats such as Starmie, Lapras, Alakazam, Exeggutor, Jynx, and opposing Chansey. In addition, because direct paralyzing moves such as Thunder Wave or Stun Spore mostly come from specially based Pokemon, Chansey makes the best paralysis absorber in the game, as it is potentially able to neutralize paralyzing attempts once it has been paralyzed (what does this bit mean?). Moreover, paralysis protects Chansey from getting frozen while not adversely affecting its special walling capabilities.</p>

<p>However, while Chansey shines on the specially defensive side, its lack of STAB and mediocre, Persian-level physical bulk prevent it from being completely dominant. Specially based Explosion users, such as Exeggutor, Gengar, and Cloyster, can take out Chansey; powerful physical sweepers, such as Snorlax, Tauros, Rhydon, and Golem, can also prey on her low Defense. However, Chansey can still get past these threats with the right move. For example, it outspeeds and 2HKOes Rhydon and Golem with Ice Beam as long as it isn't paralyzed, and cripples physical attackers such as Tauros and Snorlax with Thunder Wave. Additionally, it can even run Counter or Reflect to surprise said physical sweepers. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Ice Beam is Chansey's main attacking move. Without it, Golem and Rhydon would be able to switch in for free, and Chansey would have no chance of scoring a freeze, for example, against opposing Chansey. Softboiled is a must as well, as it allows Chansey to repeatedly sponge attacks and recover HP when necessary. Keeping Chansey at high health whenever possible is recommended, as this lets her paralyze Snorlax or Tauros before having to switch out. Thunder Wave is mostly useful for crippling sweepers such as Tauros, Snorlax, Zapdos and Persian, and often deters them from switching in. Due to the importance of paralysis in RBY, Thunder Wave is an excellent move against anything except maybe other Chansey.</p>

<p>For the last slot, there are two main options. Thunderbolt is the more recommended move as it allows Chansey to hit Water-types such as Starmie, Lapras, Slowbro, and Cloyster for super effective damage while nabbing a fairly strong hit on Jynx. Without Thunderbolt, these Pokemon, especially Starmie, can stay in on Chansey and go for the freeze. While Thunder Wave will still cripple them and still act as a deterrent, Chansey would be setup bait for Slowbro. While not as common, Counter is a viable alternative as well; it will often surprise Normal-type sweepers, such as Snorlax, Tauros, and Persian, who try to capitalize on Chansey's weak Defense. Due to Chansey's titanic HP, Counter will always OHKO Snorlax and Tauros using Body Slam. It should be noted, however, that some players like to check for Counter first by either using Earthquake or switching back to their own Chansey. Counter can also be used for punishing a predicted Hyper Beam. However, to do this, Chansey needs to be at full health, as STAB Hyper Beam can deal around 75% damage.</p>

<p>One could also drop Thunder Wave instead of Thunderbolt in order to use Counter. However, note that Counter does not fully cover physical sweepers; Tauros and Snorlax can still use Earthquake, which, in conjunction with full paralysis or a well-timed Hyper Beam, will beat Chansey easily. Replacing Thunder Wave for Counter will also limit Chansey against Zapdos, Slowbro, and users of partial trapping moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Chansey can only beat opposing Chansey with Ice Beam's freeze chance; the same applies to special attackers such as Starmie and Jynx. Because paralysis grants immunity to freeze, a common strategy consists of not paralyzing Chansey and fishing for the freeze instead. However, this is risky as, if a freeze war occurs, both players will have a 50% chance of scoring the freeze, and the user of the frozen Chansey will be significantly handicapped for the rest of the battle. Chansey's exploitable Defense makes a more offensive approach a viable alternative, and is, of course, the path to take should you accidentally paralyze it. Powerful physical sweepers should be your main options here; examples include Rhydon, Golem, and especially Snorlax. Tauros is not a recommended pick, however, as its potential to make an impressive late-game impact would be severely reduced if it were to get paralyzed. If looking to apply this strategy, one should first paralyze Chansey.</p>

<p>When taking the offensive approach, note that even though Snorlax is bulky enough to take hits from Chansey, unless you can predict Chansey switch-ins with regularity, Snorlax could get worn down on the switch before making an impact if he is struggling getting past (does this mean "as he struggles to get past"?) bulky Pokemon such as Rhydon, Golem, Exeggutor, Lapras, and especially Cloyster. Meanwhile, Rhydon and Golem will need to get past Exeggutor and Starmie, and a healthy Chansey can afford to take a hit and retaliate with Ice Beam. For this reason, you should be aware that paralyzing Chansey will give your opponent the edge in stall wars, and if your physical sweepers struggle getting past physically bulky and healthy defensive cores, you might get worn down eventually. Nonetheless, there are other Pokemon that will benefit from a paralyzed Chansey, such as Slowbro, Zapdos, and Jolteon, and Dragonite and Cloyster as well if partial trapping moves are not banned. Paralysis is also the way to go if your team does not pack Chansey.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Reflect works as an alternative to Counter and helps against physical sweepers as well. It is not as gamebreaking (effective?) as Counter, but it doesn't completely rely on the element of surprise and works against all physical attacks, including Earthquake from Golem and Rhydon, as opposed to Counter, which in RBY only works against Normal- and Fighting-type attacks. Reflect is especially useful against slow physical sweepers such as Snorlax, Golem, and Rhydon due to their low critical hit rate; it also helps Chansey soak up Explosion from special attackers such as Exeggutor and Gengar. Reflect Chansey will often lead to stall plays, much like Reflect Alakazam does. However, Reflect is much more common on Alakazam as it's faster and has greater freedom with its moveslots; with Reflect, Chansey has to drop Thunderbolt or Thunder Wave, which limits it versus Water-types or reduces its ability to cripple sweepers, respectively.</p>

<p>Sing is another move Chansey can use effectively, but it's uncommon due to its poor accuracy and Thunderbolt's predominance in the last slot. This is not necessarily a bad thing, though, as Sing Chansey is unexpected and could let you score a more rewarding sleep, against opposing Chansey or Snorlax for instance. Combined with Counter, Sing makes up for a very high-risk, high-reward combination. To pull off this strategy, you need to switch a healthy Chansey into Hyper Beam from the likes of Snorlax or Tauros, sleep the Hyper Beam user, and then Counter whatever your opponent switches in for an OHKO. However, this strategy has many flaws that limit its effectiveness. First, Sing will miss almost half the time, and if it does, you will be left with a Chansey in the KO range of the physical sweeper's Body Slam. In addition, Chansey will have to drop both Thunderbolt and Thunder Wave, which will severely limit her. Lastly, as Hyper Beam is most commonly used mid- or late-game, it's very likely that sleep clause will have already been activated.</p>

<p>While Blizzard is the preferred Ice-type move for most Pokemon, Ice Beam is recommended on Chansey, as the extra PP can make a difference in a freeze war or a stall war. Nonetheless, Blizzard's extra power can come in handy for wearing down Snorlax on the switch-in a bit more quickly, as well as for nabbing the 3HKO on Tauros and the OHKO on Dragonite.</p>

<p>Other gimmicky options for the last slot include Light Screen, Flash, Seismic Toss, and Defense Curl; however, it's advised to stick to the options previously mentioned. The former will allow Chansey to completely wall Slowbro, while the next two help it deal with Alakazam. Defense Curl works a bit like Reflect, but has more PP and provides boosts that can be stacked. Reflect is overall the best choice for doubling Chansey's Defense in one turn, though.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Chansey's limited offensive power, opposing Chansey and Alakazam can both easily neutralize her attacks thanks to Softboiled and Recover, respectively. However, these two cannot recover from a possible Ice Beam freeze. Chansey can fight back with her own Ice Beam in hopes of scoring the freeze first, but keep in mind that paralysis grants immunity to freeze, giving a paralyzed Chansey the edge in the Chansey war. Meanwhile, Alakazam can use STAB Psychic to accumulate Special drops on Chansey; in conjunction with random critical hits and full paralysis, this will eventually force Chansey out. However, Psychic will run out of PP quickly. Nevertheless, Alakazam's Recover packs 16 PP more than Chansey's Softboiled, so it's also possible for Alakazam to force Chansey out by PP stalling, but that increases Chansey's chances to freeze Alakazam if the latter isn't paralyzed. In any case, Chansey can switch back into Alakazam whenever she wants after switching out to remove Special drops or avoid wasting PP.</p>

<p>Chansey can also be dealt with offensively by using strong physical attacks. Snorlax is bulky enough to take some hits and can reply with a powerful STAB Body Slam or Hyper Beam, eventually running down Softboiled PP unless Chansey gets really lucky. If things get bad, Snorlax's Selfdestruct is powerful enough to OHKO Chansey. Rest Snorlax is especially useful when fighting Chansey, as Rest lets it shrug off paralysis. However, one will have to watch out for threatening sweepers, such as Tauros and Zapdos, switching into it while it is asleep. Rhydon and Golem can switch into Thunder Wave or Thunderbolt and outspeed a paralyzed Chansey. Rhydon's Earthquake will always 2HKO Chansey, and Golem, while not as powerful, can 2HKO with Earthquake and also has access to Explosion to OHKO in dire circumstances. These two should watch out for Ice Beam, though, as they take around 60% damage from it. Tauros and Persian hate paralysis, but they can also capitalize on Chansey's weak Defense with their powerful STAB Normal-type moves. Persian generally needs Chansey to be paralyzed to stand a chance, but if it is, Persian will usually win the match-up, even if Chansey paralyzes Persian in return. In any case, it's not recommended to switch Tauros or Persian directly into Chansey due to the threat of Thunder Wave. Zapdos and Jolteon can hit Chansey hard with Drill Peck and Double Kick, respectively. Jolteon can take hits from Chansey well, but much like Tauros and Persian, hates paralysis. Cloyster, Dragonite, and Victreebel can potentially get past Chansey with their partial trapping moves, especially the latter two, but they rely on luck to do so. Exeggutor, Cloyster, Gengar, Snorlax, and Golem can use Explosion against Chansey; Gengar's Explosion is weaker, though, and won't OHKO a healthy Chansey.</p>

<p>Some physical sweeping attempts can be stopped if Chansey packs Counter or Reflect, however. Counter is especially dangerous as it might take out your Snorlax or Tauros. Reflect's ability to halve damage from physical hits will often lead to stall plays, as it can protect Chansey from physical sweepers and Explosion, but it will not make a difference against Persian, who will always score a critical hit with Slash. However, if Chansey foregoes Thunderbolt, Water-types can take it on. Starmie could neutralize Chansey and fish for a Blizzard freeze, while Slowbro can easily set up with Amnesia. Lapras and Cloyster are immune to freeze and take almost no damage from Chansey's only attacking move, Ice Beam. If Chansey decides to go without Thunder Wave instead, it would no longer be able to spread paralysis, and fast sweepers such as Tauros, Persian, Zapdos and Jolteon would now be able to take it on more easily. Moreover, the lack of Thunder Wave also limits Chansey against Slowbro and users of partial trapping moves.</p>

2/2

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
it is potentially able to neutralize paralyzing attempts once it has been paralyzed (what does this bit mean?)
I think that means that Chansey, once it takes Paralysis, absorbs other Thunder Waves with ease and keeps Para from spreading all over your team. Thunder Wavers generally can't touch Chansey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)