Pokémon Coalossal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to add that having tested it ingame, only doing damage with fire/water seems to activate the ability. So Life Dew and even Will O Wisp don't give the speed boost.

In future they should together with rain and sun. Cant get how they missed those?
  1. Actual steam engines require a lot of water and heat to work. A light rain won't do, and neither will f***ing sunshine.
  2. Creating a Fire type that instantly gets +6 speed if it touches sunlight, and doesn't lose that speed if the sun goes away, sounds like an incredibly stupid idea.
I'd also like to reiterate that your incessant posting about things that do not exist in the games is very irritating. This is not the place for rampant wishlisting. If you want to put your ideas to somewhat productive use, go find a Pet Mod to participate in.

Opening doubles with choice scarf flareon and lava plume, should outspeed most things. Lava plume would then trigger steam engine and, with the new in turn adjustment of move order, coalossal could get of a powerfull stab burn out to loose it's four time weakness before it gets hit.

Am I missing something?

Opening doubles with choice scarf flareon and lava plume, should outspeed most things. Lava plume would then trigger steam engine and, with the new in turn adjustment of move order, coalossal could get of a powerfull stab burn out to loose it's four time weakness before it gets hit.

Am I missing something?
Well you're using Flareon for one. If you want to dedicate a single pokemon to boosting the speed of another, a trick room or tailwind setter like whimsicott would be more successful in that role and benefit you after switching too (Don't know about trick room but prankster tail wind will ensure your partner gets to benefit from the speed in the same turn)

Bigger general issue is that you're left with a pokemon that's fast but not really threatening in any way, 80 base offences are pretty sad and its real strength, if any, seems to be loaded into its support movepool.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

Am I missing something?

Matleo

Banned deucer.
  1. Actual steam engines require a lot of water and heat to work. A light rain won't do, and neither will f***ing sunshine.
  2. Creating a Fire type that instantly gets +6 speed if it touches sunlight, and doesn't lose that speed if the sun goes away, sounds like an incredibly stupid idea.
I'd also like to reiterate that your incessant posting about things that do not exist in the games is very irritating. This is not the place for rampant wishlisting. If you want to put your ideas to somewhat productive use, go find a Pet Mod to participate in.
got me here. But what about the damage reduction? halving water and fire damage?
would a 3+speed boost and the reduction of damage not have been better for it?
6+speed is good if you can survive a water attack... will make people try to send it into fire type moves...

Can it survive water attacks from water pokemon and at what level difference and from what water types and by what water moves?

always can sand tomb, substitute and sandstorm a enemy in singles.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
somewhat unrelated, but should Eviolite Carkol even be considered?
Definitely not. It has no niche whatsoever, but also Coalossal is a very fringe viable Pokemon as is (if people even consider it as viable, which I do not personally) and Eviolite Carkol does not present a better prospect itself. I would just try to rearrange your team or scrap it outright if you are at this point to be entirely honest.

I don't think there's any hope for this mon. The AV set seems the most usful to try and live, but then you're ruining the Rocks/Spikes value Coalossal brings. Scald is a great move to help with some checks, but if you don't burn on the switch, you're screwed anyway. Basically, not great at anything and has no true niche to fill. But nice design and could see some value in doubles to activate Steam Engine.

Okay. So I noticed that this thing is on the Viability list at the moment, and I have to ask:

How?

What exactly are people doing to make Coalossal work in OU? It feels like the meta is just way, way too hostile towards it and its entire design just screams "confused." It has a really good offensive typing but it's not really scoring too many KOs with those base 80 offenses. It has a really good defensive spread but its defensive typing more than invalidates said bulk by giving it weaknesses to some of the most common offensive typings in the tier. Trends such as both offensive and defensive Seismitoad variants being quite common on the ladder don't do it any favors either. It has an ability that is incredibly cool in theory, but in practice it can't abuse the Weakness Policy set that it can pull off in Doubles/VGC to surprising effectiveness and at +2 it still falls painfully short in terms of damage output in the offchance that it does manage to survive a single Water move.

Are people using its utility sets with SR/Spikes and Rapid Spin? The role compression seems incredible in theory but this thing's defensive typing doesn't really give it that much staying power either. What unique niche does it and only it have in OU nowadays?

Okay. So I noticed that this thing is on the Viability list at the moment, and I have to ask:

How?

What exactly are people doing to make Coalossal work in OU? It feels like the meta is just way, way too hostile towards it and its entire design just screams "confused." It has a really good offensive typing but it's not really scoring too many KOs with those base 80 offenses. It has a really good defensive spread but its defensive typing more than invalidates said bulk by giving it weaknesses to some of the most common offensive typings in the tier. Trends such as both offensive and defensive Seismitoad variants being quite common on the ladder don't do it any favors either. It has an ability that is incredibly cool in theory, but in practice it can't abuse the Weakness Policy set that it can pull off in Doubles/VGC to surprising effectiveness and at +2 it still falls painfully short in terms of damage output in the offchance that it does manage to survive a single Water move.

Are people using its utility sets with SR/Spikes and Rapid Spin? The role compression seems incredible in theory but this thing's defensive typing doesn't really give it that much staying power either. What unique niche does it and only it have in OU nowadays?
I think all it offers is role compression. Rocks + Spinner + Corviknight check all in the same mon is helpful, and I don't think anything else is capable of that. SR/Rapid Spin/Flamethrower/filler with boots or lefties is probably the best it can do, but I'm doubtful it's worth using in OU despite that.

How?
A big one actually, switching into Flare Blitz/Pyro Ball from G-darm/ Cinderace allows it to outspeed band darm and cinderace. From their it is free to attack, set up rock's, clear hazzards, or net a KO on one of them with Stone edge if they stayed in. I've also seen a defensive set with Flamebody and Rock helm that eats hits and deals lots of passive damage

so this mon is on the gen 8 viability list thread... so what's the set that people are running that makes it good? I tried this guy early on and kinda thought he sucked? Spikes and spin is cool, but he is rock fire? maybe like spikes, spin, flamethrower, stone edge (@ boots)?

Would it be possible to make him a tank and abuse his tar shot. If not you could still use double spikes and make him tanky as hell. Idk tho I’m still new

I'm just a low-to-mid ranked player, but I've been using this guy on a stallish team and it's been quite good. The team also has dual wish passers which keeps its health up. I find coallosal actually has a useful defensive typing on the special side, being able to wall most fairies and take hits from a lot of things on the special side in general. All of its weaknesses except rock have multiple common pokemon with immunities to them, making it pretty easy to support.

The set I've been using is:
Coallosal
Flash Fire
Heavy duty boots
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spdef

Stealth Rock
Rapid spin
Flamethrower
Stone Edge

It could use a little more attacking power, and I haven't run many calcs with it to refine the ev spread for that. I'm also not sure if flamethrower is the best fire stab option. But this pokemon I find a lot more manageable as a specially defensive wall than tyranitar actually due to how easy it's weaknesses are to cover with its teammates. If this thing had reliable recovery or boosting moves, I think it could be pretty good actually. As is it makes for a nice bulky pivot into special attackers that can lay hazards and rapid spin for you, as well as deal some chip and pressure corviknight lacking body press.

Edit:forget to list the nature I'm using is sassy

NealIRC

Banned deucer.
Potential Movesets

* Basic Spinner *
Coalossal @ Heavy Duty Boots / Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm / Careful Nature
* Rapid Spin
* Spikes / Stealth Rock
* Will-o-Wisp
* Stone Edge / Flamethrower / Scald

Pretty simple set: come in and spin, and set up a hazard while you're at it. Spread burns with Wisp, especially when you're set-up-bait for Pokemon like Gyarados or Barraskewda. Finish with a STAB of your choice (and change the nature accordingly!). Or go for Scald because it's a stupid move also spreads burns. Leftovers is your only way of healing so it can also be an option if you're confident.

* Assault Vest *
Coalossal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
* Rapid Spin
* Stone Edge
* Flamethrower
* Scald

With burns from Scald supporting its physical bulk, an AV set can make some sense in becoming more of a tank. Spin is what gives this a niche, and you keep STAB for coverage too. Pretty basic AV set, with the Vest giving more options to come in and spin.

* Weakness Policy *
Coalossal @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Steam Engine
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
* Stone Edge
* Earthquake
* Fire Punch
* Iron Head

Putting this here because I know someone is going to try and bring it up. Not worth it imo but I guess I can't stop you. Basic premise is to try and take some weak Scald to trigger Steam Engine and Weakness Policy, giving you +2/+2/+6. With 636 speed, you can try and do a sweep. Not worth it for more than the memes for Youtube videos (because you know someone is going to try it)
Quoting the 1st post.

You know what's the problem with these movesets. They're all physicals. Coalossal is a pokemon who's Attack and Sp A are both the same. And with Intimidates around, why use a physical Coalossal over a special Coalossal?

(Well, I guess it has to do with the fact that I'm not a big fan of Stone Edge, due to it's accuracy). But keep in mind Flamethrower > Fire Punch. I'm also not a fan of physical Fire/Water/Grass types as most Steel and Rocks have higher Def than Sp D, so you're better off Flamethrower a Ferrothorn/Steelix than Fire Punch.

And since Coalossal has uniquely high special attack for a Rock type, would be a great user of Ancientpower.

-The beauty of maximizing Coalossal's Sp A over his Attack is it doesn't hinder the usage of Body Press, which is still a physical move being calculated on it's defense.

I already know there's a moveset on Smogon article now, which is ironic it lists Heat Crash due to being able to KO Clefable. Though a Special Coalossal could really use Burn Up.

Anyways, this is off-topic and somewhat inappropriate here, but it is now confirmed there will be a Move Tutor in the Isle of Armor. A big fat wishlist is the other special Rock move, Power Gem. That's a nice boost of power from Ancientpower, but until then a special Coalossal is stuck with Ancientpower.

A big fat wishlist is the other special Rock move, Power Gem. That's a nice boost of power from Ancientpower, but until then a special Coalossal is stuck with Ancientpower.
There's actually a TR for Power Gem in the game, Coalossal just can't learn it for some reason. It really is just generally better off running Flare Blitz + Stone Edge + Earthquake if going for an attacking set to make up for it's poor Attack with good coverage and high Base Power...

Intimidate is a problem, but your Rock STAB having only 60BP is much more of a problem if trying to go for KOs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)