Pokémon Corsola-Galar

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustoonSmitts

I draw stuff for a living
is a Top Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
Something with Knock Off is a good start. Maybe something with Clear Body to block Strength Sap. Taunt also does wonders.

This is literally a middle finger to physical attackers. Will-O-Wisp, Strength Sap, Cursed Body...

Is there any attacker without Taunt that can check Corsola? I'm probably thinking Polteageist.

Corsola is better as phys ou special wall? And what other phys/special walls would you recommend on its team?
It's definitely better against physical attackers. Think of the prominent special attackers in the meta: Gengar, Hydreigon, and Dragapult. All of them have stab-super effective coverage, and they 2Hko fully invested corsola with ease. On the other hand, almost no physical attackers carry super effective coverage, and they are crippled by burns and strength sap. On the other hand, corsola can't do anything to a special attacker, giving them free turns to set up.

So definitely go with a physically invested corsola if you want to use it. As a special wall, it sucks in this particular meta.

It's definitely better against physical attackers. Think of the prominent special attackers in the meta: Gengar, Hydreigon, and Dragapult. All of them have stab-super effective coverage, and they 2Hko fully invested corsola with ease. On the other hand, almost no physical attackers carry super effective coverage, and they are crippled by burns and strength sap. On the other hand, corsola can't do anything to a special attacker, giving them free turns to set up.

So definitely go with a physically invested corsola if you want to use it. As a special wall, it sucks in this particular meta.
Great, I'll stick to phys-Corsola. What would be good candidates for special wall for my defense core with Corsola? I know about Pex, was considering Gastrodon but it lost Toxic, not sure... Aegislash maybe?

Great, I'll stick to phys-Corsola. What would be good candidates for special wall for my defense core with Corsola? I know about Pex, was considering Gastrodon but it lost Toxic, not sure... Aegislash maybe?
I really like Assault vest Tyrannitar with him. He resists dark and ghost, the two types that corsola is weak too. Corsola is also immune to fighting, the type TTar fears. The only issue is that sand wears corsola down a bit, but it does the same to the things Corsola tends to wall. As long as corsola lives with 1% health, it should live and heal back up to full. I like it since it isn't as passive either, letting you get something going with TTar if the situation arrives. I even run a fighting move on TTar just in case I have to dynamax and I want to set up with him. Kind of cheesey, but this entire meta is cheese so what can I do?

Another good defensive core is Ferrothorn, Pex, and Corsola. It's a hard to break core, though bulk up sub corviknight with pressure pretty much destroys it. I'd also recommend a strong corviknight breaker with it, like Toxtricity, rotom, etc.

I really like Assault vest Tyrannitar with him. He resists dark and ghost, the two types that corsola is weak too. Corsola is also immune to fighting, the type TTar fears. The only issue is that sand wears corsola down a bit, but it does the same to the things Corsola tends to wall. As long as corsola lives with 1% health, it should live and heal back up to full. I like it since it isn't as passive either, letting you get something going with TTar if the situation arrives. I even run a fighting move on TTar just in case I have to dynamax and I want to set up with him. Kind of cheesey, but this entire meta is cheese so what can I do?

Another good defensive core is Ferrothorn, Pex, and Corsola. It's a hard to break core, though bulk up sub corviknight with pressure pretty much destroys it. I'd also recommend a strong corviknight breaker with it, like Toxtricity, rotom, etc.
I would like to avoid the obvious Toxapex-Ferrothorn core, which I know is OP but damn I don't like Ferrothorn so I wouldn't have it on my team. Think I'll try TTar as you suggested! Thanks.

Duel Dance Death Defense
Ability: Cursed Body
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EV's (HP 252) (Def 156) (Sp.Def 100) Feel free to tweak
Iron Defense
Amnesia
Strength Sap
Night Shade

Boost both of your defense to make yourself near invincible provided Toxic and the like don't ruin your day. Strength Sap to heal you and impair them, Night Shade for consistent damage.

This regional variant and its evolution, to be completely frank, scare me. Something about it being a dead bleached coral created by man-made climate change kinda makes you feel responsible for the depraved state it has been reduced to. Those eyes look like something out of a Pokemon Creepypasta, and something about Cursola's design is incredibly unnerving to me, and I can't understand why...
Corsola-Galar @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / Split the rest bw Def/SpD how you see fit
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Amnesia
- Will-O-Wisp
- Strength Sap
- Night Shade

I think using Eviolite would better serve Corsola’s tank style over leftovers bc Strength sap can fully heal Corsola in most cases,
If you get a free turn pop Amnesia in case any special attack sweepers like Hydregion show up
Wisp in place of iron defense would better allow Corsola to play the stall game by dealing damage and burning down physical attacks

Corsola-Galar @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / Split the rest bw Def/SpD how you see fit
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Amnesia
- Will-O-Wisp
- Strength Sap
- Night Shade

I think using Eviolite would better serve Corsola’s tank style over leftovers bc Strength sap can fully heal Corsola in most cases,
If you get a free turn pop Amnesia in case any special attack sweepers like Hydregion show up
Wisp in place of iron defense would better allow Corsola to play the stall game by dealing damage and burning down physical attacks
Ok but good luck against Normal types/running out of Strength Sap recovery

What normal types are in the meta? Diggersby and obstagoon are about it, and while diggersby is actually pretty good, it hates eating a burn from corsola.
There's a couple of them, but Snorlax, Heliosk, Bewear, Obstagoon, etc. are worth using

There's a couple of them, but Snorlax, Heliosk, Bewear, Obstagoon, etc. are worth using
I highly doubt you're going to encounter any of those aside from maybe Obstagoon or Indeedee anywhere outside of low ladder.

However, trying to get a Night Shade "sweep" is in general not going to be very effective. Pretty much any other wall in the game will win that battle because Strength Sap has diminishing returns the more you use it on an enemy (meaning eventually you won't be getting enough recovery back), along with burn/toxic/leech seed/whatever wearing Corsola down. Hell, if nothing else they can just stall out all of Night Shade's PP.

As a general rule, defense-boosting moves don't have a place outside of the occasional CM sweeper like Mega Slowbro was back in the day. Corsola is plenty good as it is, no need to try to set up with it.

I highly doubt you're going to encounter any of those aside from maybe Obstagoon or Indeedee anywhere outside of low ladder.

However, trying to get a Night Shade "sweep" is in general not going to be very effective. Pretty much any other wall in the game will win that battle because Strength Sap has diminishing returns the more you use it on an enemy (meaning eventually you won't be getting enough recovery back), along with burn/toxic/leech seed/whatever wearing Corsola down. Hell, if nothing else they can just stall out all of Night Shade's PP.

As a general rule, defense-boosting moves don't have a place outside of the occasional CM sweeper like Mega Slowbro was back in the day. Corsola is plenty good as it is, no need to try to set up with it.
Night Shade isn't really used for "sweeping" though, it's for breaking stuff like Substitutes (and doing actual damage outside of Will-O-Wisp damage), and Slowbro is no longer in gen 8 so Corsola takes a decent role in stalling the opponent with setup moves and Eviolite, while Strength Sap (or rest if you're gonna deal with Toxic users) heals Corsola back up. It is true that it's only counter could be Obstagoon with Knock Off.

Night Shade isn't really used for "sweeping" though, it's for breaking stuff like Substitutes (and doing actual damage outside of Will-O-Wisp damage), and Slowbro is no longer in gen 8 so Corsola takes a decent role in stalling the opponent with setup moves and Eviolite, while Strength Sap (or rest if you're gonna deal with Toxic users) heals Corsola back up. It is true that it's only counter could be Obstagoon with Knock Off.
I'm aware of what Night Shade and Strength Sap do. My post was addressing the suggestion of using defense-boosting moves like Amnesia or Iron Defence along with Night Shade. Trying to boost defences and stay in with Corsola for longer, just so you can use Night Shade more, is a waste of time. No wall in OU uses defense boosting moves, because they're terrible on anything but CM (or Bulk Up I guess) sweepers like, again, Mega Slowbro. Corsola does NOT make a good CM sweeper. I've watched people try.

And any special attacking Dark or Ghost type will counter Corsola- Aegislash, Hydreigon, Gengar, etc. along with Hatterene or Clefable.

If you can predict the strength sap, Bisharp is an option. Defiant turns the -1 from strength sap into a +1, and while he can't use knock off, throat chop is still powerful.
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Throat Chop vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Corsola-Galar: 265-312 (81.7 - 96.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Bisharp Throat Chop vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Corsola-Galar: 302-356 (93.2 - 109.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

You run the risk of will-o-wisp, however, especially if you don't get the OHKO.

So why do you need 0 atk IVs? Does it even matter? I get when people want 0 speed for something like aegislash but why 0 atk on a corsola? Couldn’t I just run a full perfect 6 IV’s and it be the same thing? Just hatched a shiny with perfect IV’s. Don’t want it to go to waste.

So why do you need 0 atk IVs? Does it even matter? I get when people want 0 speed for something like aegislash but why 0 atk on a corsola? Couldn’t I just run a full perfect 6 IV’s and it be the same thing? Just hatched a shiny with perfect IV’s. Don’t want it to go to waste.
It’s basically only to take minimum damage from foul play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)