Pokémon Corviknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
823.png

Base Stats: 98 HP / 87 Atk / 105 Def / 53 SpA / 85 SpD / 67 Spe
Abilities: Pressure | Unnerve | Mirror Armor (H)
Notable Moves:
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bulk Up
- Drill Peck
- Power Trip
- Body Press
- Substitute
Level Up Moves:
- [00] Steel Wing
- [01] Steel Wing
- [01] Iron Defense
- [01] Metal Sound
- [01] Peck
- [01] Leer
- [01] Power Trip
- [01] Hone Claws
- [12] Fury Attack
- [16] Pluck
- [22] Taunt
- [28] Scary Face
- [34] Drill Peck
- [42] Swagger
- [50] Brave Bird

Egg Moves:
- Sky Attack
- Sand Attack
- Tailwind
- Defog
- Rock Smash
- Spite
- Roost

TMs:
- [TM06] Fly
- [TM08] Hyper Beam
- [TM09] Giga Impact
- [TM16] Screech
- [TM17] Light Screen
- [TM18] Reflect
- [TM21] Rest
- [TM23] Thief
- [TM24] Snore
- [TM25] Protect
- [TM26] Scary Face
- [TM30] Steel Wing
- [TM31] Attract
- [TM39] Facade
- [TM40] Swift
- [TM42] Revenge
- [TM47] Fake Tears
- [TM56] U-turn
- [TM57] Payback
- [TM58] Assurance
- [TM76] Round
- [TM79] Retaliate
- [TM95] Air Slash

TRs:
- [TR01] Body Slam
- [TR12] Agility
- [TR13] Focus Energy
- [TR20] Substitute
- [TR21] Reversal
- [TR26] Endure
- [TR27] Sleep Talk
- [TR37] Taunt
- [TR46] Iron Defense
- [TR48] Bulk Up
- [TR66] Brave Bird
- [TR68] Nasty Plot
- [TR70] Flash Cannon
- [TR74] Iron Head
- [TR79] Heavy Slam
- [TR85] Work Up
- [TR89] Hurricane
- [TR99] Body Press

New Ability:
Mirror Armor - Bounces back only the stat-lowering effects that the Pokémon receives.

Pros:
- Well-rounded bulk backed up by decent defensive typing which is useful against threats like Excadrill and Mimikyu.
- Access to neat utility options like Taunt, Defog, and U-turn.
- Some offensive potential thanks to STAB Brave Bird (and as a consequence, Max Airstream) and even Bulk Up. This move also can turn Corviknight into a potent win condition.
Cons:
- Shallow coverage limits its offensive potential and enables stuff like Aegislash and Rotom-W to abuse it.
- 87 base Attack isn't that great, meaning that Corviknight needs a setup to deal some real damage.

Dynamax Potential:
- Defensive Pokemon aren't prime Dynamaxers, but seeing that Corviknight has a coveted STAB Max Airstream, Dynamaxing utility sets of Corviknight might be a decent idea sometimes, when the opposing team is weakened enough and Flying resists are destroyed.
- Bulk Up Corviknight is a lot more potent Dynamaxer due to its increased firepower: Dynamaxed Corviknight after a couple of boosts late-game, when Flying resist are eliminated, can easily end the battle.
- Corviknight even has access to Gigantamax: its G-Max Wind Rage deals damage and simultaneously removes all field effects, including hazards, screens, and Terrains.

Potential Sets:
Utility
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird / Body Press
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog / U-turn

This Corviknight is pretty straightforward: use it to cockblock threats like Excadrill, Mimikyu, and Braviary as well as to shut down passive stuff such as Ferrothorn with Taunt. Utility Corviknight has a decent matchup versus slower, bulkier teams, especially hazard stacking ones, thanks to the combination of Taunt, Roost, and Defog. Body Press punishes Bisharp and Excadrill a lot harder. You may opt for U-turn over Defog if you want your Corviknight to generate momentum for your team but nullifies Corviknight's amazing Defogger qualities. You definitely can play with the EV spread a bit, I just went with a fully physically defensive one because I'm lazy.

Bulk Up
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 208 SpD / 52 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Taunt / Substitute
- Bulk Up

This Corviknight trades utility moves for sweeping potential thanks to Bulk Up and Max Airstream. Bulk Up also has a bit of defensive purpose, beating 1v1 physical attackers like Swords Dance Excadrill and Mimikyu. Taunt keeps some of Corviknight's utility, while Substitute prevents Corviknight from being statused. Drill Peck is a recoil-less option over Brave Bird but the latter's added power is better most of the time. I went with a specially defensive EV spread with some Speed here, since Bulk Up boosts Defense anyway. Power Trip is also an option over Taunt and Substitute if you want coverage; this completely sacrifices all the Corviknight's utility and worsens its good matchup against Pokemon like Toxapex and Ferrothorn, which can heavily annoy Corviknight with status moves. You can put some EVs into Attack and even opt for Adamant nature at the cost of bulk.

I feel like defensive sets need either U-Turn and Taunt so Goth can't trap you. (Unless its running thunderbolt)

Either way, this mon looks good right now, No Magnezone really helps it shine a premier wall. I personally think Specially Defensive is better since you basically check fairies and psychics better. Also Pressure is huge because Bulk Up can potentially stall out Pex.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
The Bulk Up set is really great right now since it's a direct answer to non-Thunder Punch Hawlucha and Gyarados while also being a mon that can win the game on it's own as well. I think it's worth mentioning Body Press as an alternative over Taunt/Subsitute since it can stack Attack boost when Dynamaxed as well and could help to maybe beat things like Hippowdown after you maxed (in order to not get whirlwinded out.) Cool mon and has impressed me more than I originally thought of it.

Could a more offensive defog set work too for Corvi or is there a better mon that can remove hazards offensively, cause I need it for my team.

Egor

нет, товарищ генерал, это вы даёте
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
RoAPL Champion
Could a more offensive defog set work too for Corvi or is there a better mon that can remove hazards offensively, cause I need it for my team.
You definitely can make a more offensive EV spread for Defog Corviknight but I don't think the loss of bulk is worth it. Anyway, from my personal experience, Excadrill feels the best hazard remover on offenses. Defog Conkeldurr is also pretty unexplored and intriguing option which has some potential to work nicely.

Last edited:
Isn't mirror armor equally good if not better on bulk up sets? Unlike crocune, this one is susceptible to intimidate and can ignore potential def spd drops.

Isn't mirror armor equally good if not better on bulk up sets? Unlike crocune, this one is susceptible to intimidate and can ignore potential def spd drops.
Agreeing with this, I find that Mirror Armor helps immensely against stuff like Gengar's Shadow Ball as well as all the Psychic types that use Mystical Fire specifically to hit Corviknight

Agreeing with this, I find that Mirror Armor helps immensely against stuff like Gengar's Shadow Ball as well as all the Psychic types that use Mystical Fire specifically to hit Corviknight
This is what I'm talking about. Being able to ignore SpD reductions and rendering useless special attackers with its own SpA drop effect is great. I agree Pressure is an excelent ability and even greater when it comes to stall Max Moves (this works great on the subs roost one), but for Mirror Armor to be completey overshadowed I don't agree. Not even G-Max Dark can go through Mirror Armor.

This is what I'm talking about. Being able to ignore SpD reductions and rendering useless special attackers with its own SpA drop effect is great. I agree Pressure is an excelent ability and even greater when it comes to stall Max Moves (this works great on the subs roost one), but for Mirror Armor to be completey overshadowed I don't agree. Not even G-Max Dark can go through Mirror Armor.
I would argue that if you're running Substitute, you probably want Pressure to win PP wars against other defensive Pokemon, and because, as you mentioned, Substitute makes PP stalling even easier. If you have Taunt, pressure stalling defensive Pokemon is not necessary since you can just Taunt them instead, and Mirror Armor is preferable

I agree. Mirror Armor deserves a more serious consideration. Since Toxic is no longer a widespead move, many more Pokemon are relying on the damaging stat drop moves to eat away at enemy defenses and cripple enemy offenses. Drum Beating, Grav Apple, Apple Acid, Fire Lash, Mystical Fire, Spirit Break, and the G-Max moves for sure, though I'm not sure if status moves with secondary stat drops like King's Shield, Obstruct, or Octolock are reflected back too. If so, Grapploct isn't going to stand a chance against the Raven Knight...

Does anyone else find it funny that Corviknight, a defensive Pokemon, has higher base Atk than Talonflame? (87 -> 81). Sure, Talonflame has Swords Dance, but Corvi does have Bulk Up.

Does anyone else find it funny that Corviknight, a defensive Pokemon, has higher base Atk than Talonflame? (87 -> 81). Sure, Talonflame has Swords Dance, but Corvi does have Bulk Up.
It is funny now that you mention it. Though Talonflame's biggest draw was Gale Wings which gave it priority Brave Bird rather than its attack. But since the Gale Wings nerf in gen 7 it can't even spam that anymore. All said and done, I would like to run a less utility set and a more offensive tanky set for Corviknight that is built around Bulk Up:

Corvus Knight
Ability: Mirror Armor/Pressure
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Careful
EV's: (HP 252) (Def 4) (Sp.Def 252)

Bulk Up
Roost
Drill Peck/Brave Bird
Power Trip/Body Press/Steel Wing

I’m with you. Pressure is solid on Corviknight, of course. It’s not a very flashy or impressive ability, but it is constantly active and quietly working its magic. It is probably the ability of choice for more dedicated defensive sets. I can understand Pressure being useful on Bulk Up builds as well, stalling out enemy healing or their strongest attacks. However, I think the payoff of Mirror Armor, while more situational, is worth considering. Turning back Intimidate and the copious stat-dropping effects of other moves can be invaluable for a boosting offensive tank like Corviknight.

I'm finding it really hard to figure out an effective moveset. I think Brave Bird, Roost and Bulk Up are mandatory for a bulky sweeper G-Max Corviknight, but I can't decide what is ideal for the 4th slot. I feel like it should be Body Press/Steel Wing for coverage, but Taunt and Sub are SO useful. Are they worth the lack of coverage tho?

I'm finding it really hard to figure out an effective moveset. I think Brave Bird, Roost and Bulk Up are mandatory for a bulky sweeper G-Max Corviknight, but I can't decide what is ideal for the 4th slot. I feel like it should be Body Press/Steel Wing for coverage, but Taunt and Sub are SO useful. Are they worth the lack of coverage tho?
It is funny now that you mention it. Though Talonflame's biggest draw was Gale Wings which gave it priority Brave Bird rather than its attack. But since the Gale Wings nerf in gen 7 it can't even spam that anymore. All said and done, I would like to run a less utility set and a more offensive tanky set for Corviknight that is built around Bulk Up:

Corvus Knight
Ability: Mirror Armor/Pressure
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Careful
EV's: (HP 252) (Def 4) (Sp.Def 252)

Bulk Up
Roost
Drill Peck/Brave Bird
Power Trip/Body Press/Steel Wing
This thing gets Iron Head. Y'all don't need to use Steel Wing.

Oh that's better. Still, would you trade Sub/Taunt for coverage in Iron Head/Body Press? I don't enjoy depending solely in Brave Bird.
I probably wouldn't use Iron Head over Body Press. The only things you really miss out on are some Fairys, most of which are physically frail and will take a lot form Brave Bird anyway, or are otherwise shut down by either Sub or Taunt. I also probably would use Body Press over either Sub or Taunt, as both together seems a tad excessive, but Flying is one of the better mono-attacking types, so running Brave Bird as your only attack doesn't sound that bad.

Body Press is absolutely the most useful fourth move. Synergises perfectly with Bulk Up and there are very few things that resist Fighting/Flying combo. It also gives it Max Knuckle on D/Gmax

I probably wouldn't use Iron Head over Body Press. The only things you really miss out on are some Fairys, most of which are physically frail and will take a lot form Brave Bird anyway, or are otherwise shut down by either Sub or Taunt. I also probably would use Body Press over either Sub or Taunt, as both together seems a tad excessive, but Flying is one of the better mono-attacking types, so running Brave Bird as your only attack doesn't sound that bad.
Also, Flying/Fighting coverage is only resisted by Electric/Flying, Electric/Fairy, Electric/Poison, Electric/Psychic and Electric/Ghost Pokémon.

And out of all these typings, only three Pokémon exist in Galar with them: base Rotom (which you won't be seeing anyways), Rotom-Fan (idem) and Toxtricity. There's also Alolan Raichu, but it's unavailable right now.

EDIT: And Ghost/Steel (Aegislash), as pointed out below.

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Also, Flying/Fighting coverage is only resisted by Electric/Flying, Electric/Fairy, Electric/Poison, Electric/Psychic and Electric/Ghost Pokémon.

And out of all these typings, only three Pokémon exist in Galar with them: base Rotom (which you won't be seeing anyways), Rotom-Fan (idem) and Toxtricity. There's also Alolan Raichu, but it's unavailable right now.
You’re forgetting Ghost/Steel- And Aegislash is quite common I’d say

I'm trying to decide in game if it's worth keeping the G-max one I have with Mirror Armour or using it to breed a normal one that can potentially D-max especially since D-max Airstream is better than Max Wind Rage and G-max can't even be used in rated battles.

But G-max does look good....

I assume Bulk Up sets are performing better than the defensive variant? From watching other's play on showdown I haven't seen anyone use the set with the Impish nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)