Creative (and good) Movesets (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had entirely forgotten about Giga Drain.

Plus, that saves Rest only for extreme emergencies. Nice call!

Cool, so that makes a great partner for movelock Liepard.

Maybe I can add something to soak up Fire moves to the team to further aid Roserade. Like, Flash Fire Shanderaa or Kuitaran or something.

Ah but I'm derailing the thread. Let's have more movesets!

edit:

Regenerate Tangrowth healing off Substitutes by switching got me thinking: does Regenerate activate upon using Baton Pass?
Because if it does, a thought occurs:
Kojondo.
He's got Regenerate, Substitute, and Baton Pass. He could try his hand at Passing (admittedly small) substitutes to teammates who need that little extra shield to switch in properly. Meanwhile, Kojondo gets that health back with Regenerate, and can do it again later.

What do people think about the bulky Gallade? Having a fighter with good special defense and able to actually do something to Gliscor is always a good thing. If it runs Thunder Punch, it can also take down Tentacruel who is occasionally a problem. Light Screen makes it laugh at Specs Latios Draco Meteor and pretty much every special attack except Shadow Tag Shandera (if only because Gallade then wouldn't be able to hit Shadow Tag Shandera very well at all which stinks). And don't forget all of Gallade's gazillion other options.

Ever tried Suicide Lead Gengar? I've taken down 3 Pokemon with this set alone.

Gengar @Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
0/x/0/31/31/31 (Hp/Atk/Def/SAtk/SDef/Speed)
252 Sp.Atk 252 Speed
Icy Wind / Taunt / Destiny Bond / Counter

This set is FTW

The new Jirachi sets with Doom Desire work wonders.

Jirachi@Metal Coat/Leftovers
Modest 252 HP / 252 SpA
Doom Desire
Wish
Protect
U-Turn

U-Turn supports both Doom Desire and Wish by scouting switches and passing Wishes. U-Turn lets you see what they send in to take the Doom Desire, like a Blissey, and you can send in Roopushin for example. Either they take the DD and your Drain Punch or switch to something else that can't take both. Creates big offensive pressure and allows you to keep momentum. Protect makes it easier to heal yourself, which isn't hard with 404 HP and great typing. Likewise:

Jirachi@Choice Specs
Timid/Modest 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Doom Desire
Draco Meteor
Psychic/Psycho Shock
Thunderbolt/Thunder

Specs Doom Desire is a 315 BP attack after STAB and specs. Something is taking a huge chunk out of that. Draco Meteor is great as most people forget you can even learn this move, which is great when they send in Garchomp to EQ you. If you're on a Rain team, you can abuse Thunder which will have 100% accuracy and a 60% chance of paralysis with Serene Grace. That is amazing versatility and utility for a simple specs set.

edit: Oh man, I didn't even read the OP. I never commented on that Sableye when I posted my Liepard.

*ahem* That is a very interesting set. I mean, I talk about my Liepard idea annoying things, but while mine works to lock things down and stop their ability to fight, your Sableye completely ruins the enemy's day by Spiting all their moves to nothing. Not to mention Protecting and Recovering until the Miltank come home. The ultimate troll. I love Sableye now.

Anyway.

So guys, does Regenerate activate upon using Baton Pass?

Ah, but the end result is the same, yes? I can have Kojondo Baton Pass a small Substitute to let something glass cannony get his foot in the door, and then he can come back in and heal off the Substitute damage, then do it all over again.

In fact, let me go ahead and try to cobble up a moveset:

Kojondo @Life Orb/Leftovers (Regenerate)
(Still don't know from EV distribution, sorry) Jolly
Hi Jump Kick
U-Turn
Substitute
Baton Pass

Kojondo retains his main attacks (HJK for sheer damage, U-Turn for the trollish ability to switch out and get Regenerate active), but in this set, he can send Substitutes to teammates that need that extra protection to switch in safely. Sadly, his low HP means that that's all his substitutes can do, since they won't take too many hits. But for, say a Gengar that wants to come in, that's all that's needed. As an added bonus, he's the only 'mon out there that has Baton Pass, Substitute, and Regenerate, which means he can keep coming back to do it again. Regenearte heals for 1/3rd max health, which is more than a single Substitute takes away.

Alternate setups: you can give him a Salac/Leichi/Petaya Berry if you like, let him sub down to berry range, and pass another boost alongside the Substitute. Then he comes in later with his HP regenerated.

edit: and I almost forgot. I like your Jirachi ideas. I'd be most partial to the one with U-Turn. I like the idea of dropping Doom Desire, then getting out of Dodge when they bring in their Jirachi counter.

Blaaaaagh. Either way, the result is the same. Kojondo creates a substitute, and is healed by the time he next comes in. Whether that healing happens at the switch out or switch in does not change the end result.

Unless Baton Pass and Regenerate are incompatable.

Are they?

I'm always confessing my love for Unaware Clefable, sorry. There are many ways it can be used, it being Clefable, but this is the basic version.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Unaware
Lax - 252 Def, 252 Special Defense (This seems crazy, but if you're using Copycat then versatility helps - you still need that Physical Bulk, though)
- Cosmic Power
- Wish / Moonlight
- Copycat
- Assist Power

It works mostly on deception - people expect Magic Guard, boost up a bit whilst you use Cosmic Power, then don't know how to act when their attacks do very little. At which point, they boost even more, allowing you to use Copycat and make Assist Power even deadlier, hit back, rip through defenses and have a nasty sweeper on your hands. Copycat will copy an opponents Substitutes, recovery moves, Entry Hazards, status moves etc. allowing good support for your team with a single move.
Assuming you have a few defense boosts under your belt, you can take out fighting types with their psychic weakness, and Copycat attack moves that Dark types throw at you - especially nice if they're trying to exploit your Fighting weakness.
Get a few Calm Minds under your belt Assist Power really hurts. Clefable isn't amazingly defensive so recovery helps - Moonlight is especially good in Sunlight.

If you want to use it differently, you can use Swagger, traditional Toxic Stall, or even Metronome (definitely not reliable, lol). Asides from Toxic and the odd Crit, the main weakness of this set is definitely four-moveslot syndrome, as for it to really be brutally effective, it loses out on something else, be it defensive moves, the ability to hit dark types, recovery, etc.

Copycat doesn't copy boosts - it copies the opponents move. Psych Up is the one you're looking for yes?

EDIT: Oh wait nvm I'm dumb. I read that completely wrong. Interesting set~

Unaware is one nice ability that can be abused to absurd levels if used right. Combined with Cosmic Power the opponent is in need of getting a critical hit to take out something that bulky. Still I'd change the EVs to max. HP as Cosmic Power increases your def stats already enough. Also, I'd drop copycat as it's somewhat unreliable as you rely on your opponent using moves that you can make good use of (and most STABs hit their user for not effective damage). Better run Flamethrower of something else on that slot.

===

Now I'll present my set I used in quite some matches and it did always great for me:

Kingdra @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim / Sniper
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Moves:
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Boiling Water
- DragonBreath

Kingdra has an awesome typing which leaves it open to a single weakness in dragon. That's the key to abuse this set. It has a lot of opportunities to switch in and cause havoc with its dual STAB in Boiling Water and DragonBreath and their very useful ability to burn and para the opponent with 30% chance. It doesn't want to deal major damage but slow down opponents play so max investment in defensive stats is a must. RestTalk just makes things smoother and gives the opponent a hard time.

Now I'll present my set I used in quite some matches and it did always great for me:

Kingdra @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim / Sniper
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Moves:
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Boiling Water
- DragonBreath

Kingdra has an awesome typing which leaves it open to a single weakness in dragon. That's the key to abuse this set. It has a lot of opportunities to switch in and cause havoc with its dual STAB in Boiling Water and DragonBreath and their very useful ability to burn and para the opponent with 30% chance. It doesn't want to deal major damage but slow down opponents play so max investment in defensive stats is a must. RestTalk just makes things smoother and gives the opponent a hard time.
I've been considering a defensive Kingdra as well, but never got round to it. However I try and avoid restalk this gen, just because if you're switched out before you wake up the rest counter gets reset, which is ridiculously annoying.

Also one of my sets

Vaporeon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Wish
- Boil Over
- Haze
- Protect

This set has worked amazingly for me, stopping Vaporeon from being set up on and spreading burns and wishes. I'll admit it's not that original to be fair, but it never goes down. Also I run hydration despite not having a rain team, just so that Vap doesn't go down against them and so that P2 can't wall me with trace.

Ultimate Defensive Nattorei:

Nattorei @Leftovers
Iron Barbs
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
252 HP, 4 Atk, 252 Def
(0 Speed IVs)

-Stealth Rock/Spikes/Toxic
-Curse
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball

This thing is probably the best physical tank I've ever used. After a single Curse, it hits 595 Defense. It still can't really take powerful Fire moves, but it takes on Fighters like a champ. Power Whip and Gyro Ball to abuse the attack boost and the speed drop. Despite the lack of balance in bulk, it can still take special moves incredibly well.

Part of my Burungeru/Nattorei Combo, with Burry sponging special hits and fire moves and Nattorei physical, obvs. I swear, if Burungeru gets Calm Mind I will cry with joy. I also use a Sword-Flingin' Gliscor to great effect.

Gliscor @Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Impish (+Def, -SpA)
188 HP, 252 Atk, 68 SpD

-Swords Dance
-Fling
-Acrobat
-Earthquake

SWEEPIN' GLISCOR YEEEEAAAH! This pretty much usually always nets me a kill a match, as people expect Protect to activate Poison Heal, in which case I get up a Swords Dance (unless I've switched in in which case it's already activated). Either way, once Poison Heal's activated, it doesn't matter what happens, just Fling that Toxic Orb and Acrobat away. It's surprising how many teams just don't resist the Flying/Ground attacking combo...

God that Sableye looks like a complete bitch. Last slot is hard, good arguments for Spite, Toxic, Will-o-wisp and Taunt.

Unaware is one nice ability that can be abused to absurd levels if used right. Combined with Cosmic Power the opponent is in need of getting a critical hit to take out something that bulky. Still I'd change the EVs to max. HP as Cosmic Power increases your def stats already enough. Also, I'd drop copycat as it's somewhat unreliable as you rely on your opponent using moves that you can make good use of (and most STABs hit their user for not effective damage). Better run Flamethrower of something else on that slot.
Ah, focus on HP - will do.

Nah, Copycat's a keeper. It's a wonderfully unpredictable move, and people will happily spam Dragon Dance, Bulk Up, Butterfly Dance, Shell Smash or Calm Mind thinking they have the upper hand, not realising they're just feeding Clefable all the tools needed to Sweep.

It's an excellent way to alleviate Moveslot Syndrome, and it's ability to turn Clefable into practically any defensive or offensive type is really helpful.

Blast to the Past - Onix Returns!

@ Miracle of Evolution or Red Card
Sturdy
4 HP/252 SDF/252 SPD or 4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPD
Jolly

- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Earthquake/Explosion

Onix hits 262 speed with this, outspeeding neutral base 110 speed Pokemon. It can then Taunt and set up Stealth Rocks to its heart's content. Miracle of Evolution is if you want Onix to take a couple of hits, and Red Card is if you want to abuse Sturdy to take what should be an OHKO and make your opponent take out another Pokemon which can't finish Onix before it can set up what you want.

Eh, as a user of Red Card, it has a lot of issues. For example, if the opponent hits you, and their Red Card brings out an Espeon (happens more often than you'd think), you're pretty much screwed. If the opponent hits you and they bring out a ghost while you Explode, that sucks. So there are better pokemon to do this Taunt and SR with Toxic thing (like Skarmory and Gliscor). I would always use the Evo Stone, however.

So this set similar to this was posted a while back, and I made some changes to it, but I want to see what you think of the new version:

Garchomp @ Leftovers / Rugged Helmet / Yache Berry
Rough Skin
Jolly
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
--Swords Dance
--Dragon Tail
--Rest
--Sleep Talk

So, the main idea of this is to Swords Dance until you are low on health. At that point, you can Rest to heal yourself and put yourself to sleep. Then you use Sleep Talk to alternate between Swords Dance and Dragon Tail. The only thing is, if Sleep Talk is used, then Dragon Tail loses its negative priority, meaning that it becomes an incredibly fast phazing move. Additionally, it becomes twice as powerful each time because of the Swords Dances. It becomes difficult to kill due to the fact that it phazes you out before you can touch it, and even if you do touch it, it's bulky enough to take a few hits.

I've got a support Crobat that works wonders.

Crobat @Life Orb
252 Speed//252 Atk/Spatk//4 HP
+Speed nature
Slip Through
-Toxic
-Confuse Ray/Whirlwind/Hypnosis/Haze
-U-Turn (if using atk EVs) / Super Fang
-Brave Bird / Venom Shock / Heat Wave

The offensive part of the EVs should match the way of offense you want, though physical is the preferrable option. Now, Slip Through allows you to hit enemies through Safeguard, then put a dent in them by dashing through their Reflect/Light Screen, in case they try to get cute. Toxic is a must for this, as it is a pretty much guaranteed hit. Confuse Ray should be used if you want to gamble a sweep-stop, while Whirlwind and Haze are both good options for stopping set-ups. On the other hand, if you're a gambler, Hypnosis might be the thing for you. Whirlwind might put you in a sticky situation though, so be careful with which you choose. As for the offensive moves, U-Turn is obviously to get out of trouble while leaving a dent, Super Fang can help your team A LOT with very defensive mons, and the offensive moves are pretty self-explanatory: Brave Bird to go out with a bang, Venom Shock if you wanna focus on poison, and Heat wave if you think Steels will laugh in your face otherwise.

Why are you people using Energy Ball over Giga Drain on Roserade? Giga Drain has 5 less base power than Energy Ball now (so 75) and restores hp (except against Tentacruel)! And if you're carrying Life Orb, Giga Drain does a heck of a lot+neuters Life Orb recoil.

A bulky Gallade

Gallade Leftovers
Stead Fast
178 Hp/72 Atk/120 Def/140 SDef
Careful Nature (or if Trick Room, Sassy 0 Spd)

-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-Light Screen/Pain Split/Thunder Punch/Trick Room

Gallade is yet another seriously underrated fighter. However his type is a benefit, a fighter who resists other fighters. Plus, no other fighter gets as many team support options as he does. Gallade competes with Roopushin to do the whole Bulk Up thing but I think Gallade actually does it better because of his (much) higher special defense and ability to actually ohko Gliscor with Ice Punch, something which no other fighter (except Ice Punch Lucario and Swords Dance Facade Heracross and random Hp Ice although most fighter's special attacks suck) can do. Being able to survive 236 Atk Gliscor's Acrobat (even before Bulk Up) is pretty cool and is also able to take hits on the special side. Drain Punch gets stab and maintains your health obviously.

The last slot is pretty open-ended because there are so many good moves Gallade could do there. Light Screen helps against special attackers and allows you to easily tank both sides. Pain Split can be a further healing device and hp stealer. Thunder Punch allows you to go through Gyrados and Slowbro who otherwise wall you forever. Trick Room can turn the tables on people and Gallade is a decent user being slow, bulky, and a hard hitter. Other options could be Taunt to prevent things from trying to set up, Magic Coat to reflect Status and Hazards, Hypnosis if you really need to sleep something, X-Scisssor for psychics, Encore to repeat moves, Thunderwave to paralyze, etc. Gallade has ridiculous amont of options and it was hard choosing which ones were best. As a fighter, Gallade is definitely one of the best and a severely underused one. But man does this thing have options...
Is there a reason why you aren't maxing HP before investing in SpDef?

Anyway, I think Thunder Wave would be an interesting option. Gallade is slow, and it can cripple a switch-in.

What's nice about Gallade is most people don't anticipate its special bulk. Also, with the renewed prevalence of Psychic-type attacks to counter the various Fighting types, that neutrality is very nice.

I'm always confessing my love for Unaware Clefable, sorry. There are many ways it can be used, it being Clefable, but this is the basic version.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Unaware
Lax - 252 Def, 252 Special Defense (This seems crazy, but if you're using Copycat then versatility helps - you still need that Physical Bulk, though)
- Cosmic Power
- Wish / Moonlight
- Copycat
- Assist Power
Interesting. Copycat isn't something I've put any thought into. I've been using an Unaware Clefable on a lot of my teams too, with max HP/Def + double screens (Light Clay) + T-Wave + Healing Wish. it works wonderfully on heavy offense teams - if the opponent manages to squeeze a DD they'll think they can plow through you now, but instead they find themselves paralyzed and screens put up. (Taunt is generally predictable now, expect it on MHers and such, Ono's generally expect Ice Beam and just hit me if I risk using her against one that isn't Outrage-locked) She almost always survives to get both screens and often gets the HW too (which is healing AND a free-switch.) no stall team wants to wear down and/or status a wallbreaker and then have to deal with it again behind screens. Sazandora, for one, is a monster behind screens even without defensive investment.

I've been using an Unaware Clefable on a lot of my teams too, with max HP/Def + double screens (Light Clay) + T-Wave + Healing Wish. it works wonderfully on heavy offense teams - if the opponent manages to squeeze a DD they'll think they can plow through you now, but instead they find themselves paralyzed and screens put up.
That's a good use too, I don't see many people making use of Healing Wish, I imagine it's infuriating. Considering people were remarking on the wonders of Unaware Quagsire it seems strange to overlook a Jack-of-all-Trades with all the relevant momentum-breaking tools actually getting an ability that does it. You've further convinced me I can find a use for it on practically any team.

It's just a shame that so many Tutor moves are out of its reach - seeing stuff like Seismic Toss, Softboiled, Endeavor, Magic Coat, Trick, Recycle, you can imagine lots of uses for them. If there is a 3rd Game Move Tutor then Unfable could really get some nice tools.

hmmm I was thinking about free recovery.

Tangela (regeneration)
252 HP (IDK his stats so i'm not sure which defenses to do) I doubt even max spd is fast enough to do anything.
@Evo stone
Sleep powder
Sub
leechseed/gigadrain
toxic/weather move

An annoyer that can heal his sub damage by just switching out sleep powder is to help set up or force switches and hit steel types. Leech seed also helps against steel types.
Max Speed is pretty useless - he has base 60 Spe. Tangrowth can do pretty much the same role but with Lefties recovery. Tangela's advantage is that it has higher SpDef and Def off the bat, but Tangrowth's HP means that their physical bulk is almost identical - only the special makes a difference. This set works wonders, however, but you don't need Sleep Powder - letting you use Giga Drain+Leech Seed, and I'd use HP Ice/Fire in the last slot for hitting grasses. Fire hits Natt but Ice is better for Dragons.

I made a Hypno for a lead once. It does well against Politoed leads but suffers greatly from Physical attackers. It's good if you need to stop a sweeper with t-wave or a wall with choice scarf. Safeguard protects me from future status and allows me to send my swift swim water counter without fear of paralysis or sleep.

Hypno
Item:choice scarf
Ability: Insomnia
Nature:Careful
Evs: 36 def 220 sp.def 252spe
Moves: Switcheroo
Thunder Wave/Hypnosis
Taunt/Ice Punch/ Zen Headbutt
Safeguard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)