Creative (and good) Movesets (READ THE OP FIRST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
After realizing that Sand has no way of dealing with other Sand and Sun teams, and it has no ways of attacking specially, I've been testing this with GREAT succes.

Abnormasnow @ Focus Sash (Soundproof)
Calm~~252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
-Protect
-Rain Dance
-Toxic
-Wood Hammer / Giga Drain / Ice Beam

This set has wonderful bulk and amazing potential. Soundproof allows you to be safe from Roar, which may not seem to be much of a problem, but it is. Rain Dance allows you to crippe things like Doryuuzu, Randorusu, Venusaur, and other sweepers that rely on weather, while not burdening your team with endless hail. The last move can be WH for bigger damage, Giga Drain for recovery, or Ice Beam to hit things like Gliscor and Randorusu. Toxic can be used to mess with their weather summoner as they switch in.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I've got a few sets that I've been testing out. Lately, I've been running Trick Room, and since not many people have been using Trick Room, no one really knows what Pokemon are useful in it. These are just a few new ideas I've been testing and have been extremely successful:

#1: Trick Room Support Exeggutor

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Harvest
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Nature: Impish
Moveset:
- Trick Room
- Giga Drain / Grass Knot
- Psychic
- Sleep Powder / Leech Seed / Toxic

Basically, if you're not doing ~60% to Exeggutor, you aren't going to be able to kill it. With a combination of Sleep Powder and Trick Room, it's almost guaranteed to get up TR for its teammates. Not to mention that it's naturally strong, with a base 125 SpA. Giga Drain allows you to keep above the 60% range to activate Sitrus Berry twice, but Grass Knot generally has more Base power. I suppose you can use Psycho Shock over Psychic, but the extra 10 BP is appreciated, and it can simply use its fourth moveslot to deal with Blissey somewhat. Sleep Powder is the first choice, either crippling a Pokemon for quite a bit or allowing Exeggutor to get up a free Trick Room, especially after TR ends. Leech Seed allows Exeggutor to become a huge pain in the ***, with continual healing paired with Sitrus Berry and Giga Drain. Toxic can be used to cripple walls that switch into Exeggutor for normally free, like Cresselia, for the rest of the match.

#2: Trick Room Sweeper Shubarugo (Escavalier)

Shubarugo (Escavalier) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swarm
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature: Brave
Moveset:
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Rock Smash
- Swords Dance

There are two problems that keep Shubarugo from becoming a "great" Pokemon: its abysmal Speed and its poor movepool. Trick Room solves the first problem, and Swords Dance attempts to solve the second problem. Let me give you an example of this guy's power: a LO Megahorn usually OHKO's most neutral targets. After a Swords Dance, it OHKO's pretty much every 1/2 resist in the game, and 2HKO's Heatran. Yeah, that powerful. Iron Head is used for slightly more damage against those that resist Megahorn (which is pretty much regular Fighting and Poison resists, since Fire and Steel also resist Steel). Rock Smash has one use and one use only: it OHKO's Heatran after a SD. That's pretty much it. This is a freaking powerhouse, and when used in conjunction with Trick Room, not much can stop it bar an errant Fire move.

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Moveset:
- Trick Room
- Psychic

Basically, if you're not doing ~60% to Exeggutor, you aren't going to be able to kill it. With a combination of Sleep Powder and Trick Room, it's almost guaranteed to get up TR for its teammates. Not to mention that it's naturally strong, with a base 125 SpA. Giga Drain allows you to keep above the 60% range to activate Sitrus Berry twice, but Grass Knot generally has more Base power. I suppose you can use Psycho Shock over Psychic, but the extra 10 BP is appreciated, and it can simply use its fourth moveslot to deal with Blissey somewhat. Sleep Powder is the first choice, either crippling a Pokemon for quite a bit or allowing Exeggutor to get up a free Trick Room, especially after TR ends. Leech Seed allows Exeggutor to become a huge pain in the ***, with continual healing paired with Sitrus Berry and Giga Drain. Toxic can be used to cripple walls that switch into Exeggutor for normally free, like Cresselia, for the rest of the match.
I really like this set, since I use trick room a lot. The biggest problem really is it's typing. It conflicts with many trick room sweepers, and is often over looked by Celebi (who has overall better defenses and Trick room) but Eggy has Harvest and Sleep Powder, as well as better S.Attack. One Nitpick though, Shouldn't the Nature be Relaxed? Impish lowers S.Attack, and with Relaxed you're faster in Trick room

Ninetales@Leftovers
Nature: Timid
Ability: Drought
-Overheat
-Will-o-wisp
-Power Swap
-Protect
Evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Speed

This is a pretty gimmicky set for a sun team that can annoy the hell out of special sweeper switch ins. I also love taking away calm mind boosts with power swap and giving them -2 from overheat. It's completely walled by fire types but it is fun to play around with.
I've used something similar to this and it really does work. Overheat+Power Swap neuters SpAtkers and anything setting up on you (Ulgamosu) whilst WoW gives you the ability to neuter Physical attackers. Sub may be more useful over protect for that purpose, however.

After realizing that Sand has no way of dealing with other Sand and Sun teams, and it has no ways of attacking specially, I've been testing this with GREAT succes.

-Protect
-Rain Dance
-Toxic

This set has wonderful bulk and amazing potential. Soundproof allows you to be safe from Roar, which may not seem to be much of a problem, but it is. Rain Dance allows you to crippe things like Doryuuzu, Randorusu, Venusaur, and other sweepers that rely on weather, while not burdening your team with endless hail. The last move can be WH for bigger damage, Giga Drain for recovery, or Ice Beam to hit things like Gliscor and Randorusu. Toxic can be used to mess with their weather summoner as they switch in.
I actually want to see some logs of this in action, that is, before I actually pass judgement. It seems so awkward at first glance, but its intriguing. That last slot is a tough choice. I figure you could probably run Wood Hammer or Giga Drain in slot 4, but you could also run Ice Beam over Toxic in slot 3... Merely for the fact that I usually run some sort of toxic spikes user all the time, I rarely have use for a pokemon with toxic. This may be the case for others as well.

Edit: Second wonder is... why focus sash? If your running him on your sandstorm team, his sash will bust... making it useless? I mean, I know he has rain dance, but it still seems risky.

If Abomasnow isn't there to change the weather, he's seriously outclassed by a lot of stuff probably, unless there's a reason his typing is good for it (right now, hes vulnerable to SR, Spikes, and TSpikes). Also, why the sash?

An interesting set I ran into today used Latios with Draco Meteor and Psych Up. I paid a bunch for trying to CM in his face -.-.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire

-Protect
-Rain Dance
-Toxic

You are using Abomasnow on a sand team? Kudos to you for your originality! May I ask what pokemon are on your team? It seems to me as though someone who notices an Abomasnow on the opponent's team would be extra careful with their gliscor or randorosu anyway, so I like Giga Drain for miscellaneous rain abusers. If you are using a Focus Sash, you might want to experiment with moving some EVs over to special attack just for that extra oomph. Abomasnow is pretty underrated, especially against rain teams (just watch out for nattorei). There are some other moves you may want to consider such as Ice Shard or Focus Blast. Personally, I enjoy using a sub-seeder variety of abomasnow, but that might not work with your team. You could also try using nattorei with Sunny Day if you want to screw over rain teams and gliscor. Also, I see a lot of sand teams using special-attacking tyranitar if you want a special attacker. Or you could try out Focus Sash empoleon or something like that.

WARNING, SUPER LONG POST COMING THROUGH

Sazandora @ Leftovers Trait: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 96 Def / 176 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Protect
- Torment
- DragonBreath / Flamethrower
Interesting take on the TormentTran, yet each has different pros and cons. A pro is that Heatran is much bulkier than Sazandora, but a con is that Sazandora has an immunity to ground and its weaknesses are harder to exploit. I would definitely use Dragon Pulse instead of any of the last options, however, because it is more powerful and has STAB.

Clefable (M) @ Sticky Barb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 224 Def / 176 SDef / 108 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Trick
- Wish
- Endure
- Endeavor

Clefable (M) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 224 Def / 176 SDef / 108 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Recycle
- Rest
- Cosmic Power
- Seismic Toss
These are far too gimmicky to be useful. Clefable has better uses for it such as LO Double Edge, or Flame Orb Trick. So all in all, these aren't exactly super-useful.

Crobat @ White Herb
Inner Focus/Slip Through
Jolly/Adamant Nature
252 Attack / 148 Speed / 108 HP
-Curse
-Acrobat
-U-turn / Cross Poison
-Roost / Super Fang / Taunt
I
LOVE
THIS
SET.

Imagine something running around with lighting speed and a bulk up. Acrobat is mega-powerful. I wouldn't use U-Turn, however, because it takes away the boost, which can't be regained later. I'd list Steel Wing alongside Cross Poison for a bit of coverage, although Crobat is still walled pretty hard by a lot of pokemon. But it does have access to Super Fang, meaning that it can still break walls. So a more defensive seet would have Roost, while a more offensive set would have Super Fang.

Altaria (F) @ Leftovers / Lum Berry
Trait: Natural Cure / Cloud Nine
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Cotton Guard
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Roost
This is another great set that I like. Cotton Guard is a very good move, and although Altaria may not have great offensive stats, it has the defensive stats of a monster. This set has serious problems with most Steels, because even after a few DDances, you're really not going to KO them.

Jirachi @ Lefties
Nature:Careful
252 HP/ 44 Atk / 204 sp. def / 8 spd
~Wish
~Protect
~Body Slam/T-Wave
~Iron Head
This is pretty much the basic Haxrachi, but I'm a huge fan of it. I like to use it alongside Machamp and TSpikes (Body Slam and TWave should hit anything not hit by TSpikes).

Buggar Chomp
(Garchomp)

Brightpowder/Rugged Helm
Sand veil/Rough Skin

Dragon Tail
Roar
Rest
Sleep Talk

Jolly
HP 252
Spe 252
Def 4
Fantastic set. Extremely annoying, especially with the priority gone from Dragon Tail and Roar. I think that SD can be used over Roar, in fact, to make this even more annoying. IE, SD until hurt, Rest, and then become a really powerful Phazer. Thoughts on SD Rest talk?

Exeggutor @ Sitrus Berry
Moveset:
- Trick Room
- Psychic
TR Exeggutor with Harvest Exxegutor? Not too bad of an idea. Harvest Exeggutor is better off with its own seprate set, but TR makes it more dangerous. You can use Sleep Powder almost immediately, and that should put you at a pretty high health. Meanwhile, attacking and healing with high speed with Giga Drain and Psychic could be annoying.
#2: Trick Room Sweeper Shubarugo (Escavalier)

Shubarugo (Escavalier) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swarm
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Nature: Brave
Moveset:
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Rock Smash
- Swords Dance
Meh, not really too great. Shubarugo has a really barren movepool (lol Rocksmash) and isn't going to be wrecking any games. We should leave the TR sweeping to Marowak and Rhypherior and Rankurusu and such.

Meanwhile, some more sets from moi!

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Mischievious Heart
EV's: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Nature: Bold
Moveset:
--Torment
--Protect
--Recover
--Spite / Toxic
Torment just got real. Try Tormentran, but with priority on everything and with a recovery move. Not only can you alternate between healing and protect (heal on the weaker move), but you can Spite them to wear down their PP incredibly fast. Honstely, this thing would make the opponent cry

Liepard @ Focus Sash (Mischievous Heart)
(Don't know much in the way of how to assign EVs right, or what a good Nature would be, sorry. Adamant or Jolly, probably.)
-Encore
-Torment
-Thunder Wave
-Pursuit

For some reason, I never see people taking advantage of the fact that he gets Encore and Torment. In two turns, he can lock down the enemy by using Encore and then Torment. With the sash, he can survive to do it even against a set-up sweeper. Ideally though, you can switch him in on a predicted Psychic move, then follow up with Encore before they can change moves.

Or, if he's coming in as revenge on something that last used a move that he'd want to use on a Dark type, he can start with Torment instead.

The basic idea is for him to cripple a target to wreck the enemy's flow: the Sash lets him do that whatever he comes in on. Provided he's not switching into damaging weather or a hazard, that is. Then he uses Thunder Wave. If the enemy stays in, they're Struggling and paralyzed, and then you can Pursuit them when they decide to leave. If they switch out, you paralyze their Liepard counter.

That looks annoying, and should definitely be used with hazards because Encore and Torment will force switches, and Liepard doesn't have the best attack to KO with Pursuit.

My set (Tropius/Exeggutor sun sweeper)
Custap Berry
Harvest
164HP/252SpA/92Spe Modest(Exeggutor)
132HP/252SpA/124Spe Modest(Tropius
Substitute
Sleep Powder(Exeggutor)/Growth(Tropius)
SolarBeam
Psycho Shock or Psychic(Exeggutor)/Air Slash (Tropius)/Hidden Power fire

Exeggutor can use Swords Dance with Seed Bomb/Zen Headbutt/Natural Gift/etc.

Sub down to 25%, when Custap Berry can activate. Due to Harvest and the sun, Custap Berry will activate every turn you are at 25% or less. Tropius can use Growth if its sub is intact while Exeggutor can use Sleep Powder to get its last sub up or with Custap Berry to cripple something that resists Exeggutor's STABs.

That looks annoying, and should definitely be used with hazards because Encore and Torment will force switches, and Liepard doesn't have the best attack to KO with Pursuit.
Yeah, he's annoyer first, KOer second. Hazards would definitely be a good idea.

Know a good hazard-dropper that would draw out Psychic attacks?

People who plan on hitting the major increase of Fighting-type Pokemon super-effectively? People who plan on abusing Psycho Shock? People with half a brain d:?

Yeah, I keep seeing stuff like Psycho Shock on movesets.

Are there any good users of hazards who are Fighting or Poison?

Crobat @ White Herb
Inner Focus/Slip Through
Jolly/Adamant Nature
252 Attack / 148 Speed / 108 HP
-Curse
-Acrobat
-U-turn / Cross Poison
-Roost / Super Fang / Taunt
Nice, I'm going to try this ^^. I agree with Sax though, U-Turn neutralizes your stat boosts and you won't have a White Herb with you to try your set again. I hate pretty much all Poison type attack moves (lol) so I think I'd go with Taunt over CP or U-Turn. That kind of speed with taunt is never something to overlook. If not taunt, I'd say X-Scissor to round out coverage without sacrificing boosts, or, if it's legal with Curse, Whirlwind to send people that wall you through lack of coverage out.

Trick/Scarf Xatu
Choice Scarf
Magic Mirror
Jollly
252 HP, 252 speed, 4 attack

Wish
Zen Headbutt
U-turn
Trick
I like this idea, but Trick is incompatible with Magic Mirror. Natu's special DW move is Giga Drain.

Ninetales@Leftovers
Nature: Timid
Ability: Drought
-Overheat
-Will-o-wisp
-Power Swap
-Protect
Evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Speed
Another nice one. I'm definitely going to run a Sun team with Ninetales, I just had no idea what I was going to do with it. This could be it.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Mischievious Heart
EV's: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Nature: Bold
Moveset:
--Torment
--Protect
--Recover
--Spite / Toxic
I likes. I see how Toxic and Spite has synergy with the other moves in the set, but once again, I'd like to see Taunt on it. Priority Taunt shuts down set-uppers. Taunt+Torment seems like it could force a lot of pokemon into struggle fits, particularly coupled with three type immunities.

Liepard @ Focus Sash (Mischievous Heart)
(Don't know much in the way of how to assign EVs right, or what a good Nature would be, sorry. Adamant or Jolly, probably.)
-Encore
-Torment
-Thunder Wave
-Pursuit
I don't know about that one. Pursuit is the saving grace, because no one is going to stay in after being Encored and Tormented, but you're better off just using Scizor. Instead of using Encore and Torment to force the switching pursuit hit, you just switch in the Sciz and be awesome. Just being awesome forces switches. Particularly being awesome while swords dancing. lol But my point is there are better pokemon that don't have to work that hard to pull off a good pursuit hit (they might actually survive more than one or two hits as well!)

Choice scarf trash monster man :D

Dasutodasu? (is that how u spell it?)
Item:choice scarf
Ability: stench/aftermath
Nature:jolly
Evs: 252hp 4atk 252spe
Moves: Spikes
Toxic spikes
Gunk shot
Rock blast/explosion

I still think this set looks good...would some kind person test it out...please :3

@Fluffy Otters (below) holy crap...I forgot most. Of those existed...

You mean like Tentacruel who sets up Toxic Spikes? Qwilfish can also surprisingly throw Spikes out (I don't know why you would but it can). Infernape Sash had a run in 4th gen of throwing Stealth Rock. Drapion can Toxic Spike and is pretty defensive as well with a good Dark/Posion typing and if it's special attack wasn't so weak might have been able to pull off Toxic Spikes/Venom Shock combo. Roserade can Spike/Toxic Spike and has 125 base special attack as well as Natural Cure and is also an excellent weather changer. I can't think of anything else right now that are good but there probably is something. But the above certainly are. I especially like the Roserade and Drapion since they can also attack pretty hard (Sniper Drapion can be threatening although obviously if you're going Swords Dance you're not Spiking but Sniper is still damaging if you critical).

I don't know about that one. Pursuit is the saving grace, because no one is going to stay in after being Encored and Tormented, but you're better off just using Scizor. Instead of using Encore and Torment to force the switching pursuit hit, you just switch in the Sciz and be awesome. Just being awesome forces switches. Particularly being awesome while swords dancing. lol But my point is there are better pokemon that don't have to work that hard to pull off a good pursuit hit (they might actually survive more than one or two hits as well!)
Well, the idea is to just shut down the flow of the team. He can lock down a sweeper who's already given himself a number of boosts, for example. The Focus Sash keeps the sweeper from killing him on round one.

about using Drapion as the spiker: he won't draw out Psychic attacks, which is the reason I would want to use a Poison-type Spiker in the first place. See, Liepard will be immune to a predicted Psychic attack, and then throw out Encore to shut them down.

I am REALLY digging that Crobat set. That is pure genius and possible devastating and the 4x Grass, Bug and Fighting resist are super useful. Only downside is lack of coverage, though Super Fang helps.

That Sableye also sounds like a total nightmare.

You mean like Tentacruel who sets up Toxic Spikes? Qwilfish can also surprisingly throw Spikes out (I don't know why you would but it can). Infernape Sash had a run in 4th gen of throwing Stealth Rock. Drapion can Toxic Spike and is pretty defensive as well with a good Dark/Posion typing and if it's special attack wasn't so weak might have been able to pull off Toxic Spikes/Venom Shock combo. Roserade can Spike/Toxic Spike and has 125 base special attack as well as Natural Cure and is also an excellent weather changer. I can't think of anything else right now that are good but there probably is something. But the above certainly are. I especially like the Roserade and Drapion since they can also attack pretty hard (Sniper Drapion can be threatening although obviously if you're going Swords Dance you're not Spiking but Sniper is still damaging if you critical).
i'll second roserade.

Roserade sounds very nice.

Sooo... thinking...

Roserade@... Life Orb? (Natural Cure)
Toxic Spikes
Sludge Bomb
Leaf Storm
Rest

I heard about Natural Cure + Rest, and I like the idea. Even after laying the spikes, he can come in, Leaf Storm something, Rest if needed, then switch out.

Of course, I could just uses Energy Ball if Leaf Storm is too risky a move...

without wanting to turn this into a Roserade topic, I run
252/0/0/0/252/0 so that i have more opportunities to switch @lefties with energy ball, toxic spikes, rest and hp fire. leaf storm's ok, but i dont like its inconsistency, you're pretty neutered when you use it. hp fires for the usual skarms narroteis and other grasses (and some ice types since special bulk means you can survive a decent beam). rest over synthesis because i find there's too much rain for synthesis to work but you might like it and rest means it's crippled unless you switch. then toxic spikes ofc. if you want to do more damage try sticking evs in special attack, as a dedicated spiker you'll want some speed evs. sunny day over rest or one of the attacks means it's a good rain changer too. i'm not clued up on specific ev sets so i won't give one, but that's my advice.

hmmm I was thinking about free recovery.

Tangela (regeneration)
252 HP (IDK his stats so i'm not sure which defenses to do) I doubt even max spd is fast enough to do anything.
@Evo stone
Sleep powder
Sub
leechseed/gigadrain
toxic/weather move

An annoyer that can heal his sub damage by just switching out sleep powder is to help set up or force switches and hit steel types. Leech seed also helps against steel types.

Why are you people using Energy Ball over Giga Drain on Roserade? Giga Drain has 5 less base power than Energy Ball now (so 75) and restores hp (except against Tentacruel)! And if you're carrying Life Orb, Giga Drain does a heck of a lot+neuters Life Orb recoil.

A bulky Gallade

Gallade Leftovers
Stead Fast
178 Hp/72 Atk/120 Def/140 SDef
Careful Nature (or if Trick Room, Sassy 0 Spd)

-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Ice Punch
-Light Screen/Pain Split/Thunder Punch/Trick Room

Gallade is yet another seriously underrated fighter. However his type is a benefit, a fighter who resists other fighters. Plus, no other fighter gets as many team support options as he does. Gallade competes with Roopushin to do the whole Bulk Up thing but I think Gallade actually does it better because of his (much) higher special defense and ability to actually ohko Gliscor with Ice Punch, something which no other fighter (except Ice Punch Lucario and Swords Dance Facade Heracross and random Hp Ice although most fighter's special attacks suck) can do. Being able to survive 236 Atk Gliscor's Acrobat (even before Bulk Up) is pretty cool and is also able to take hits on the special side. Drain Punch gets stab and maintains your health obviously.

The last slot is pretty open-ended because there are so many good moves Gallade could do there. Light Screen helps against special attackers and allows you to easily tank both sides. Pain Split can be a further healing device and hp stealer. Thunder Punch allows you to go through Gyrados and Slowbro who otherwise wall you forever. Trick Room can turn the tables on people and Gallade is a decent user being slow, bulky, and a hard hitter. Other options could be Taunt to prevent things from trying to set up, Magic Coat to reflect Status and Hazards, Hypnosis if you really need to sleep something, X-Scisssor for psychics, Encore to repeat moves, Thunderwave to paralyze, etc. Gallade has ridiculous amont of options and it was hard choosing which ones were best. As a fighter, Gallade is definitely one of the best and a severely underused one. But man does this thing have options...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)