Creative (and good) Movesets: UU Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
Creativity is key in a metagame where every major threat is overly prepared for. Bog-standard teams often struggle to succeed in UU, simply because the opponent has an answer to every move you make. Using one or two unorthodox movesets to take your opponent by surprise can often mean the difference in a game. Post your creative movesets here, but there are a few rules that you must read before you post:

• Do not post a pokemon simply because it is uncommon or underrated. Yes, Shell Smash Omastar might not be used as much as it should be, but it is not considered creative. This thread is for creative movesets designed to catch your opponent off-guard, and that people aren't prepared for.
  • The moveset must be good. Being creative does not mean you must use a bad pokemon or a bad move. Your Specs Machamp set might be creative and surprising, but it is not good by any means.
  • Remember, Creativity =/= Gimmock. We want movesets that break away from the standard, but are still completely viable in UU.
  • Post complete sets, and explain why the set is effective in the current metagame. If the mon works well with certain other pokemon, make sure to mention what threats it can remove so that other pokemon can sweep.
  • YOU MUST COMMENT ON THE SET ABOVE YOU. If there isn't a set above you, look back to the last set posted. This may seem annoying at first, but it is to be sure that there aren't just sets flooding in, and that we can get comments on our sets. You are of course encouraged to also comment on any other sets that interest you.
  • The best sets that have gotten the most positive feedback will be periodically added to the OP.
Creative Movesets:

dunno how creative/unconventional it is, but

I used Kingdra with both DD and Draco Meteor (and waterfall and outrage). It worked pretty well, and I don't know why I don't see other people used mixed Kingdra. 140 BP STAB hits like a truck whether you have EVs in satk or not. OHKO that qwilfish abusing intimidate. Plus if you open with draco meteor to kill something, your opponent then likely assumes you're running a special set, which can net you a free DD.

edit:

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 atk, 216 speed, 40 satk
Nature: Naughty/Lonely
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Draco Meteor

I have tested out the viability of Physical CB Zoroark, and it has worked pretty well. With the release of B2W2, Zoroark gets both Low Kick and Trick, which allow it to lure pokemon like Snorlax and dispatch it with a quick Low kick. If needed, Choice scarf can be used to outspeed cobalion and ScarfHera. Bounce can also be utilized to troll Heracross :3

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
@rlyn99+Iridium: Please read the rules before you post a set. You must comment on the set above you first of all, as well as post an entire set which should look like this:
Pokemon @ Item
Ability:
EVs:
Nature:
- move
- move
- move
- move
Also, your Zoroark set seems far too gimmocky with Bounce.

dunno how creative/unconventional it is, but

I used Kingdra with both DD and Draco Meteor (and waterfall and outrage). It worked pretty well, and I don't know why I don't see other people used mixed Kingdra. 140 BP STAB hits like a truck whether you have EVs in satk or not. OHKO that qwilfish abusing intimidate. Plus if you open with draco meteor to kill something, your opponent then likely assumes you're running a special set, which can net you a free DD.
I can attest to this, I tried a similar setup running Adamant @ LO on a rain team and it was very effective, un-EV'ed Draco Meteor still does like ~50% to most bulky waters, factor in SR and potential Spikes and they won't be worrying your team much at all.

I've been toying around with Physical Scarf Azelf lately, don't make of me just yet it's been pretty effective for me. While it is Pursuit-bait it's still effective and takes the opponent by surprise. You can even Adamant with Scarf and still just outrun positive base 100's (Jolly ScarfGon - 328, Azelf - 329). Ice Punch dispatches LO Zapdos after SR, ScarfGon to "revenge" you stay in most of the time and also die. The rest give good coverage throughout UU, Trick can be used to screw walls like Slowbro and Snorlax (they think you're a special sweeper) but Fire Punch is nice in case this is the last thing you have and they're packing a Bronzong or something.

I ran this.

Azelf @ Choice Scarf
EV's : 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
- Zen Headbutt
- Thunderpunch
- Fire Punch / Trick
- Ice Punch

Plays kinda similar to ScarfRachi, just without the hax and the awesome immunities/resistances. He's Pursuit-bait but play him well and he can be effective on your team.

I'm not touting this as the next great thing, but give it a try, you might be surprised.

Since he's such pursuit bait why wouldn't you run U-turn? Perhaps in the place of Thunderpunch, since you're not going to be able to break most bulky waters with unboosted 100 base attack anyway. But physical Azelf is usually good for at least one kill, if only for the surprise factor. Aside from the surprise factor, he's almost totally outclassed by Victini who has the exact same stats but a much better movepool.

I've got a Sceptile set that I first started using way back in Gen 4 UU, and was pleasantly surprised when after a two year hiatus from Pokemon he's still pretty useful in Gen 5 UU.

Sceptile @ Expert Belt
Naive: 152 Att, 136 SpA, 216 Spe
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power Fire
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide

The speed EV's allow him to outspeed base 115's, namely Raikou. Expert Belt allows you to bluff choice Specs, firing off Leaf Storms throughout the match to further make your opponent think that's what you're running. Earthquake nails Chandelure, Rock Slide does good damage to Crobat's switching into expected Leaf Storms, and HP Fire to hit Roserade and Bronzong. The power output isn't phenomenal, but it works pretty well as an unexpected late game cleaner.

Since he's such pursuit bait why wouldn't you run U-turn? Perhaps in the place of Thunderpunch, since you're not going to be able to break most bulky waters with unboosted 100 base attack anyway. But physical Azelf is usually good for at least one kill, if only for the surprise factor. Aside from the surprise factor, he's almost totally outclassed by Victini who has the exact same stats but a much better movepool.
Azelf has 125 base atk, mind you

That Sceptile seems a bit weak. The lack of damage from a leaf storm would probably clue in the opponent to what you are doing, and the damage that you do with your coverage moves doesn't seem like enough. Honestly, who would switch in a chandelure into a specs leaf storm from sceptile... it's pretty much suicide. Crobat outspeeds you and I wouldn't think takes that much from rock slide. HP fire is just weak without life orb and a 4x weak pokemon imo, so

tl;dr Too weak.

Here's an interesting set that I've used before. It works really well against stall teams but the only way that its better than scarf against a hyperoffensive team is substitute and it's surprise factor.

Krookodile @ leftovers
Ability: Moxie
Jolly: 252 Att, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
-Substitute
-Bulk Up
-Earthquake
-Crunch

Some of the standard switch-ins to this are just set-up bait (gligar, bronzong), and generally people switch expecting scarf, allowing for a free sub. Works decently overall.

Krookodile @ leftovers
Jolly: 252 Att, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
-Substitute
-Bulk Up
-Earthquake
-Crunch

Some of the standard switch-ins to this are just set-up bait (gligar, bronzong), and generally people switch expecting scarf, allowing for a free sub. Works decently overall.
I think Machamp is suited better to that role. Something like Substitute, Bulk Up, DynamicPunch and Ice Punch can still hit most stuff in UU (from memory, Victini and a few Pokemon from NU are the only one's that wall it), and Machamp's superior Attack stat further assists it.

My creative set is Dual Screens Whimsicott.
Whimsicott @ Leftovers/Light Clay/Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Nature: Impish
EV's: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
  • Light Screen
  • Reflect
  • Taunt
  • Substitute/Leech Seed

Any Pokemon that can learn Light Screen and Reflect can be used as a Duel Screener, so what gives Whimsicott an advantage? Namely, Prankster. The ability to get +1 Priority is invaluable, so it can set up at least one screen (or two, with Focus Sash).

Azelf has 125 base atk, mind you
My bad, for some reason at the time of my post I was thinking Azelf was one of the all base 100 Pokemon. Not sure where that came from.

That Whimsicott looks pretty effective as a dual screener, my only suggestion is once again to use U-turn though (over substitute/leech seed, which don't serve too much of a purpose without each other on the same set). With both screens up, and zero speed investment it's entirely possible for Whimsicott to take a hit, U-turn out, and give your set up sweeper the perfect opportunity to get going.

One good thing about Whimsicott is that it learns Memento, which is a psuedo-U-Turn, albeit more sacrificial. This obliterates the opponents attacking stats, and gives you switch advantage. Perhaps put that in place of reflect. Additionally, I find Encore invaluable even on a screener set, as you can punk any DD's, CM's, or NP's and completely seize momentum, whereas taunt would just open the floodgates of hell upon your team.

As for my set, I find that this unorthodox Suicune is very good at being a bulky phazer early, and a deadly sweeper late in the game.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Bold nature; Pressure
252 Hp, 248 Def, 8 Spd
-Rest
-Scald
-Calm Mind
-Roar

Note that this set is kind of a mix of the two onsite sets, but as I said earlier, plays two very different roles depending on how the match has progressed. With amazing 404/360 Defense, Suicune can hold the line against UU's toughest (Damage Calc for Adamant LO Arcanine Wild Charge is a 41-48%, allowing Suicune a good chance to come in with SR, take the hit, and Scald or Surf Back. The great thing about this set is that due to Suicune's good natural speed (for a tank) after this near deadly encounter, he can rest up against anything with a speed stat of 203 or lower, ready to be rejuvenated by an Umbreon Heal Bell. Once all major threats to suicune have been eliminated, commence CMing, and his now massive defenses will be strong on both sides of the spectrum now. Note that the lack of sleep talk means that Heal Bell support is very useful for longevity (but running Umbreon on a team is a very good move regardless). As a side note, you can run surf over scald for more power, avoiding burning Heracross, and not interfering with toxic poisoning that you may be trying to spread.

All in all, this Suicune is a jack of many trades, but needs Wish/Heal Bell support and a good grass type to take electric/grass moves to fully function.

The suicune set is good but after using rest, having to switch in order to heal bell really doesn't help with its role as a tank, as it wants to stay in and take hits. Opponents can easily take advantage of this as an opportunity to grab the momentum.

I wanna talk about Heracross. Ever notice how predictable it is. That's because when its scarfed or banded, it doesn't have flame/toxic orb....so its noticable whether its choiced or not (status effect or no status effect after 1st turn)...so people just switch in appropriate resist to the move and watch it go back to its ball....atleast for the ever so common scarf sets. I wanted to make a set that fakes a scarf...but expert belt isn't the way to go....so I opted for the newly released salac berry....in conjunction with the newly released Moxie.

Heracross @ Salac Berry
Nature (Jolly)
EV: 252 Atk 252 Spe 4 Def
-Megahorn
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-Pursuit

Man this set is really effective. Basically you want to use it like a scarf set. The problem with moxie and scarf is that the +1 atk boost isn't really helpful if your stuck with a one move that the opponent resists. The problem with Heracross is not its stats but its predictability, every opponent counters/checks Heracross in a predictable manner. Aside from gligar who is a complete counter to all sets, I feel there is no reason for Heracross to switch when an opponent brings a slowbro in on a close combat. With this set you can pursuit a weakened mon, grab the moxie boost, watch as they bring in a dark attack resist, only to be close combatted successfully at +1 grabbing another moxie boost and arriving at +2 while successfully taking out two pokemon. Scarf cross can only dream about this. The reason I chose salac berry...is pretty obvious...at low HP....you are essentially a scarf cross that can switch between attacks and grab moxie boosts. Usually most neutral hits unless boosted never KO Hera only bring him to berry activation regime. I didn't opt for Substitute....because then Hera is no longer a scarf lure....and the opponent knows exactly how to react appropriately to counter it. I didn't opt for lum berry because hera is not a wall breaker...so a speed boost is much more useful with moxie.

Its counters have always been priority attacks and gligar and they stll are. But this heracross can take usually take out 2/6 pokemon assuming no gligar sometimes even more. Which is miles ahead of scarf cross which sometimes unreliably can't even take out one or at most one....due predicted scarf resist counter/check. This heracross doesn't have as many checks as scarf cross does due to its great coverage and ability to switch between moves. And assuming no priority/ faster scarfers....late game, with a salac boost, its pretty much gg with moxie boosts piling up so it can function with two roles...early game scarf lure and late game sweeper after the opponent realizes its not scarfed. I have had great success with this hera....especially early game when I easily take out two pokemon in two turns providing a huge momentum boost early game.

TheSpecialOne

formerly Santuga
The thing I don't like about the set posted above is the fact that Heracross needs to be brought to below 25% (I think) to get its berry activated, and if you don't have Substitute or Endure to ensure that will happen, the most probably scenario is Heracross getting killed before the berry activates. The concept of having +Atk boosts with +1 Speed coming form the berry with the ability to switch up moves is good, but in my opinion that is rarely going to happen.

The set I want to post is not as unusual but since I haven't seen it posted on the forums, it's worth a shot.

Hitmonlee @ Leichi Berry
Ability: Unburden
Nature Adamant/Jolly
EV: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Endure
-Reversal
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch / Earthquake

I am unsure as to whether the moves are the most effective ones, but the concept of the set is pretty basic. Get rid of priority moves users and Ghost-types (thank god team preview), send Hitmonlee in on an Offensive and preferably frail Pokemon so that you can Endure, get to 1 HP, activate the Unburden ability, get +1 Atk and sweep the opponent's team with Reversal. This is an extremely efficient late-game sweeper. Dark-types such as Zoroark and Houndoom are Hitmonlee's best friends as they remove Ghost-types and Slowbro. Toxic Spikes ruin this strategy, so make sure to run a Poison-type. Qwilfish is perfect for the job since not only it absorbs Toxic Spikes but also gives Spikes support to break potential Focus Sashes (be wary of Azelf though, the most common levitator that carries a Focus Sash). Weezing also puts an end to a Hitmonlee sweep, but it is not that common and it is easily taken care of by a Special Attacker. Sucker Punch can give Hitmonlee a better time facing a priority-move user, whereas Earthquake lets Hitmonlee hit Qwilfish and Nidoking harder.

EDIT: You might also want to run 0 IVs in HP / Def / SpD to make sure you get down all the way to 1 HP. In that case, run a -SpD nature and put the 4 remaining EVs into SpA

@Santuga

Like I said before....Hera is a scarf lure, it doesn't matter what item it has as long as its not leftovers/orbs/choice items or anything revealing. It goal is not to get salac boost....its goal is to feign scarf....salac berry/lum berry or whatever item you put doesn't really matter because its all situational...i mean u can just will-o-wisp twice for lum berry...and having salac berry is much better than nothing. If I wanted to get salac berry it would have had sub....but does that feign a scarf?....No! so its as predictable as any other hera set. And woudn't it be nice if any neutral hit with stealth rock activates your berry...but afterwards you probably have to switch if you didn't take out resists....but if you did take them out....then its gg...that's much better than lum berry/expert belt/no item

That Heracross set is pretty interesting. I like it. It almost makes me want to try moxie on the guy.

side note: Gligar isn't the only counter. Nidoking/queen resists all three moves.

I mean its really up to you...I personally found expert belt useful in the beginning of the match, but not late game...it really is up to you as long as its a lure....but I'm saying to at least give salac a try before trying expert belt. Because really the power boost isn't that noticable or necessary, because Hera usually KO on a super-effective hit anyways, pursuit boosts are nice...but you will get moxie boosts anyway....so speed I felt was much more useful to completely turn the entire match around. In addition the ever so common dark/fighting coverage is resisted by hera so its easier to get to salac berry regime...especially against DD/BU Scrafty.

Its funny because I got the idea after using expert belt thunderus-T because its so predictable....that feigning a scarf is even more effective due to predicable switch-ins.

Hitmonlee @ Leichi Berry
Ability: Unburden
Nature Adamant/Jolly
EV: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
-Endure
-Reversal
-Stone Edge
-Sucker Punch / Earthquake
I think the problem with this set is that it's a mix of the two things 'Lee can do in UU (wallbreaking and cleaning up), but it's not as efficient as either set on it's own. It's as much of a one-trick-pony as the Gem+Priority clean-up set, and much more difficult to pull off.

The set I want to share is a bluff set for Victini:

Victini @ Expert Belt
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- V-create
- Fusion Bolt
- U-turn

The goal of this Victini is to bluff a Choiced set. After switching Victini in, my thought process is:

Is their expected switch-in faster than -1 Victini?

-Yes: Sub, and then attack.

-No: V-create, sub, and then attack again, leaving you with a subbed, -2 or -1 Victini (assuming the other poke faints). Now, you can pull off a slow U-turn on their revenger to help a friendly sweeper, or attack again.

Flygon (F) @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Hone Claws
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Outrage / Dragon Claw / Roost

This set is pretty much like all its other set's (exept mixed lure set).
But now that it got Hone Claw's it can make a nice use of them!
Use Hone Claws on something that can't really touch Flygon, like a choiced mon looked into EQ or something that do not really hurt.
This will boost Flygon's avarage attack stat to a nice level where it can sweep (most likely in late game or even in midgame) and also boost the low accuracy of Stone Edge which is very usefull! EQ+SE for the famous EdgeQuake-Combo.
Outrage or Dragon Claw as 2nd stab move.
Outrage packs pure power and is more usefull when steel types or physicaly defensive Mon's are gone, also if you still have your Lum Berry, you can just spam Outrage like there is no tomorror and finish off a weakend team's after +1/1 and also avoid status and go +2/2 if needed.
Use Dragon Claw if you dont like beeing looked into Outrage.
Roost also is a another option when using Life Orb as its item to simply heal off recoil damage or damage taken by a resisted move.

That's it for now ((:
I've still posted this in the OU thread but decided to post it here as well cuz Flygon is more useable in UU.

Original Sets

Psychotiiicccc!!!!! Okay, I have a few cool movesets that are pretty original that I thought would be cool to post.

First off, I have a classic set on a team that brought me to #1, and my friend to #2. It works extremely well for a lot of reasons.

Empoleon

EVs: 252 Attck, 252 Speed, Adamant.

Moveset: Aqua jet, Waterfall, Swords Dance, Drill Peck/Earthquake.

Item: Mystic Water.

Now, most likely the first things that come to mind are "Feraligatr does this better," "Empoleon has a horrible speed stat, and a semi-decent attack stat," or "Empoleon is a better defensive pokemon," but this set has a lot of niches that make it a great sweeper. One of the cool things about this set is that it is completely unexpected. Although sheer unexpectancy is NEVER a reason to use a pokemon, this isn't the only thing Empoleon has going for it. For one thing, Empoleon's resistances to bug, dark, flying, ghost, normal, psychic, rock, and steel make it able to set up on a PLETHORA of pokemon that Feraligatr can't. Also, Empoleon 4x resists ice and takes neutral from grass. Feraligatr can be taken out easily by almost any grass type that's offensive, whereas Empoleon can hit it with a super-effective drill peck, or a 108 (with torrent, mystic water, and stab Empoleon's Waterfall's calc is 80 x 1.2 [items get factored first, if it were factored last the base power would be 130] x 1.5 x 1.5. 80 x 1.2= 96, 96 x 1.5 = 144, 144 x 1.5= 216/2 because not very effective= 108) base power waterfall in torrent. So the niche of the set is that, although Empoleon's attack stat is lackluster at best; with torrent, unexpectancy allowing longevity to set up, and substantial bulk as well as 13 resistances allowing even MORE longevity to set up, and a whopping 106 base power aqua jet Empoleon's attack stat is overpowered by its ability to rip holes through teams.

Another set I quite fancy is specs Togekiss. Specs Togekiss is a jack of all trades to say the least. With 85/95/115 defenses, a 120 base special attack stat, and the ability to rip through walls with it's 60% air slash flinch rate, the ability to hit steel types, which resists its two stabs, with fire blast, the ability to trick walls, and the ability to abuse a 13.3 percent chance to freeze, a 13.3 percent chance to burn, and a 13.3 percent chance to paralyze with its STAB tri attack; what's not to love about this beast of a pokemon?

Togekiss

Evs 252 Spec Attck, 252 Speed, Modest/Timid

Moves: Fire Blast, Air Slash, Tri Attack, Trick/Grass Knot

This set is pretty dang simple, come in on a pokemon that's slower than you, and flinch them over and over, with the ability to do HEAVY damage regardless of if you flinch or not. With the ability to always 3hko max hp Snorlax with air slash, and no special investment, this pokemon can ruin teams. It beats all the common steal types with fire blast, which is why I prefer it over the more common aura sphere. Now, this set should be used with a spinner, as the ability to switch in and out is going to be key on it. Tri attack just for abusing the status and getting stab, trick to cripple walls (just a sidenote, you can beat walls like snorlax and umbreon with a lot of flinching, and this wrecks trick room like nothing), and grass knot to hit rock types, which all three other moves resist. Although with trick it seems that having 3 moves weak to rock is bad, the only rock type in uu is rhyperior, which just gets three-hit KOd by air slash anyway.

Another set I tend to like is sub-toxic Mienshao. Obviously, the standard Mienshao's only coverage moves are hi jump kick, and stone edge (keeping in mind that u-turn and fake out don't provide coverage), so, my friend devised a set that abuses the same coverage, and can toxic defensive threats (footage and a video explaining the moveset: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjGwjF3cxP0).

Evs: 252 Attack and speed Jolly

Item: Life Orb (Regenerator, plus Mienshao is going to be switching in and out, sub isn't to keep subbing down, rather to scout, moreover Mienshao needs the extra power.)

Moveset: Stone Edge, Hi Jump Kick, Sub, Toxic

Lastly, one of my favorite sets, nasty plot Slowking.

EVs: 252 Special Attack, 16 Speed, and 236 HP, Modest nature.

Ironically, the nasty plot Slowking isn't meant to nasty plot quite often. I use this set in both RU and UU, and the Gist of it is to hit as hard as possible with great coverage. Now, with a 100 base Special Attack Stat, it can hit nastily with Surf, Fire Blast, and Grass Knot. The problem is special walls. When ann Umbreon comes in to tank your surfs like nothing is when you nasty plot. With the ability to live hits on hits in UU and its beneficial typing it can just set up on things and do damage, but whenever its done you can just switch out for recovery. Although it has Nasty Plot it isn't in any way a sweeper. It's supposed to come in, do damage, switch out, and then come back healthy or semi-healthy, and gain another 33% of health, or Break more walls.

Moveset: Surf, Grass Knot, Nasty Plot, Fire Blast

You're welcome all for my long rant ;).

Mr. Uncompetitive

What makes us human?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Lastly, one of my favorite sets, nasty plot Slowking.

EVs: 252 Special Attack, 16 Speed, and 236 HP, Modest nature.

Ironically, the nasty plot Slowking isn't meant to nasty plot quite often. I use this set in both RU and UU, and the Gist of it is to hit as hard as possible with great coverage. Now, with a 100 base Special Attack Stat, it can hit nastily with Surf, Fire Blast, and Grass Knot. The problem is special walls. When ann Umbreon comes in to tank your surfs like nothing is when you nasty plot. With the ability to live hits on hits in UU and its beneficial typing it can just set up on things and do damage, but whenever its done you can just switch out for recovery. Although it has Nasty Plot it isn't in any way a sweeper. It's supposed to come in, do damage, switch out, and then come back healthy or semi-healthy, and gain another 33% of health, or Break more walls.

Moveset: Surf, Grass Knot, Nasty Plot, Fire Blast

I'm going to assume I only need to critique the last set posted, so I will only talk about Slowking.
First off, why are there EVs in Speed? Slowking has Base 30 speed, and unless you wanted to outpace Bronzong or something like that, I don't see much of a reason to have Speed investment.
Other than that, this set really isn't bad at all, it's quite good on paper in fact. While you would normally have to worry about Dragons, Flygon and Kingdra, the only dragons you see very often in UU, aren't exactly great at handling Surf and Grass Knot respectively. Still Ice Beam is something you could consider if you wanted a more reliable way to deal with dragons if you happen to face something like Druddigon.
Also, Slowking will probably really hate Toxic and can go against Regenerator's healing. So a cleric and something that can take the physical attacks that will probably be aimed at Slowking will be helpful.
EDIT: After the clarification, the speed makes sense to outspeed rival Slowbros. Also the coverage sounds like less of an issue, though you still need to worry about strong physical attackers and status like Toxic.

Dual Screens Raikou:
Item: Light Clay
EVs: 252 Speed / 4 Special Attack / 252 HP
Timid Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice

Dual Screens on Raikou is actually surprisingly effective for a few reasons. First off all, Raikou has the exact same blazingly fast speed stat as Azelf, another common Dual Screener has, which really helps it to set up effectively. Not only that, but Raikou also has a better defensive typing than Azelf, which gives it 3 resistences and 1 weakness. Raikou's bulk is quite handy too. 90/75/100 isn't half bad considering the blazing 115 speed, which, with the given EVs, lets it get only 2HKOed by Adamant Life Orb Rhyperior when it gets a Reflect up, assuming no prior damage.
Light Screen, Reflect, and the Light Clay are the crux of the set. Volt Switch allows Raikou to scout and make switch ins for the set up sweepers I often pair Raikou with go more smoothly. Volt Switch still does some decent with such little investment and, notably, can break Sableye's substitute. However, Raikou's common switch-ins are Ground types, which prevents Volt Switch from working. While some of them are mons that set up sweepers can probably go into smoothly, like Claydol, some of them are dangerous to switch in to, like Rhyperior. As such, sometimes you might want to sacrifice Raikou in order to give your mons a safer switch-in, which is why HP Ice is included so Raikou can deal damage before going down. However, Raikou's bulk allows it to be reused once or twice if kept safe from these dangerous Ground types, so it's not advised to sacrifice it if you can avoid it.
The best Pokemon to be used alongside Raikou are those that help it against ground types and those who can abuse the dual screens well. Calm Mind Slowbro is a good choice since it can beat the Ground types that switch into Raikou and it also can really abuse the dual screens to become a complete tank (Choice Scarf Heracross's Megahorn only 3HKOs assuming no Guts Boost, Moxie Boost, or prior damage to Slowbro). Scrafty also likes the Dual Screens since it can set up Dragon Dances more safely and can even set up multiple Dragon Dances without too much trouble. Shaymin is also a nice way to deal with the Ground types that give Raikou trouble and appreciates the bulk with Dual Screens.
EDIT: And, of course, I'm being shunned from set comments D:

I'm going to assume I only need to critique the last set posted, so I will only talk about Slowking.
First off, why are there EVs in Speed? Slowking has Base 30 speed, and unless you wanted to outpace Bronzong or something like that, I don't see much of a reason to have Speed investment.
Other than that, this set really isn't bad at all, it's quite good on paper in fact. While you would normally have to worry about Dragons, Flygon and Kingdra, the only dragons you see very often in UU, aren't exactly great at handling Surf and Grass Knot respectively. Still Ice Beam is something you could consider if you wanted a more reliable way to deal with dragons if you happen to face something like Druddigon.
Also, Slowking will probably really hate Toxic and can go against Regenerator's healing. So a cleric and something that can take the physical attacks that will probably be aimed at Slowking will be helpful.
Well, the speed Evs are to outspeed slowking and slowbro, as a slowking in uu will generally be physically defensive, and slowbro always will, so a grass knot from +2 is a clean ohko. 12 speed is an option as well, but I prefer 16. Also, Fire Blast and Surf provide better coverage than ice beam and surf. Also, Kingdra takes a grass knot at 100 base power, so +2 does 70-83%. Also, I don't need ice beam to hit flygon because a +2 surf kills. And as I said, slowking isn't a sweeper. Obviously it has problems with druddigon (which is so uncommon anyway), but every pokemon has problems with another pokemon. Take a standard rain dance kingdra set. You can't say "it is walled by empoleon" as if it matters.

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SDef / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Calm Mind
- Trick
My idea when I put this together is you switch in on a move that isn't going to hurt you like say close combat for example.. you use trick locking them in their move while theyre shadow tagged. calm mind sweep /profit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)