Custom Power

Sounds a little complex, but I don't have any disagreement with it. It keeps Pokemon that are balanced with Extreme Speed that relied on it in standard from being complete dead weight. Entei being able to run Ground or Grass Return is a big boon for it, but doesn't break it by any stretch of the imagination.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
For people who would argue that it's a complex ban - I think banning things from the first slot aligns acceptably well with the idea behind the metagame (retype first moveslot). We all know regular Espeed isn't broken in standard by any stretch, since nothing good gets STAB on it (did you know that Adamant Linoone's Espeed is actually weaker than Adamant Dragonite's?).

Personally I think Espeed spam is the problem, so a limit to 1 would likely solve the issue. But I also hate the move with a burning passion and would love it banned.

Actually, I still believe Extremespeed isn't broken, because it's proven in many other metas where STAB Extremespeed exist. However, I DO believe that Extremespeed SPAM is not fun. This is what I used to counter banning Extremespeed in Sketchmons when it got suspected. It's not necessarily broken, but spamming it results taking the fun of the metas, and I DO agree that it needs to be nerfed or limited in some way.

Because I don't believe Extremespeed is broken by itself, so I don't agree with a full ban on Extremespeed. But bbecause it isn't broken doesn't mean that we have to leave this without doing anything. My suggestion is:

Custom Power Clause: Prevents the more than one of the same move from being Custom Powered, as Jajoken suggested. The reason I suggest this clause because this makes the meta has it's own flavor. We have Ability Clause in AAA, Sketch Clause in Sketchmons, Donor Clause in Inheritance, Unity Clause in Ability Unity (which was intended to be different from AAA, that's why there's no Ability Clause in AU), Mega Clause in Mix and Mega, and finally, Item Clause in Enchanted Items. This way we'll have our special Clause, just like those metas.

Otherwise, just ban the broken abusers (particularly Dragonite). Though I would be okay with preventing Espeed from being Custom Powered.

EV

Banned deucer.
I would prefer restricting Extreme Speed in the first moveslot versus a "Custom Power" clause that restricts any move from being used more than once/twice per team. The former is just easier to explain and doesn't punish moves like Return, U-turn, and Volt Switch which are commonly found in the first slot.

The restriction also preserves Extreme Speed's ability to revenge threats just like it does in standard play.

EV

Banned deucer.
Also, another question for Marty (hence double post so it will tag him). What happens if I run Assist in the first slot? Will the move it calls match the IV value for the Pokemon that called it, the Pokemon that hosts it (assuming it's in that Pokemon's first slot), or its natural typing?

Example: I have an Infernape with Assist in Slot 1 and the IV value of Fighting. I have a Victini with V-create in Slot 2.
  • Will Assist call a Fighting- or Fire-type V-create?
  • If Victini has V-create in Slot 1 with the IV value of Psychic, will Assist call a Fighting-, Fire-, or Psychic-type V-create?
Does this also apply to Metronome, Copycat, Mirror Move, and any other move that calls/copies attacks?

Also, another question for Marty (hence double post so it will tag him). What happens if I run Assist in the first slot? Will the move it calls match the IV value for the Pokemon that called it, the Pokemon that hosts it (assuming it's in that Pokemon's first slot), or its natural typing?

Example: I have an Infernape with Assist in Slot 1 and the IV value of Fighting. I have a Victini with V-create in Slot 2.
  • If Victini has V-create in Slot 1 with the IV value of Psychic, will Assist call a Fighting-, Fire-, or Psychic-type V-create?
Does this also apply to Metronome, Copycat, Mirror Move, and any other move that calls/copies attacks?
Just based on how hidden power works shouldn't it just be fighting? The type of your hidden power is determined by IVs, regardless of the circumstances of you using it so why would this be different?

Not Marty, but: Infernape uses Fire-type V-create. It doesn't matter how it calls it because the move is not in its first slot; ergo, it isn't affected by IVs.

Don Vascus

Certified Wednesday Poster
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Everyone is talking about Espeed or Retyped Hydro Pumps, but here is the king.

Magikarp @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Swiftswim
Adamant Nature
- Flail - Water

STAB Flail. It doesnt get better than this.
And now here are some insignificant shit you'll find on lower ladder.

Volcarona @ Lum Berry / Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Hurricane [Fighting]
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance

So Heatran doesnt wall it now. Big deal.

Medicham @ Medichamite
EVs: 240 Atk / 252 Spe / 16 HP
Ability: Pure Power
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out [Fighting]
- Zen Headbutt
- High Jump Kick
- Bullet Punch

STAB Fake Out. Big whoop.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off [Flying]
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough

Flying Knock Off to hit Mega Venu SE. Pssh, garbage.

So just ignore the garbage and look at KINGKARP up there.

And Eevee General, since Keldeo needs that 110 base power STAB to break stuff, Id replace Hydro Pump with Focus Blast. Dince the standard specs set is Hydro Scald Secret Sword Filler (usually HP).
Volcarona isn't bad, you're just missusing it

Here is the REAL set:

Volcarona (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Fire Blast

Now it haves ground type coverage, the best thing a fire type can have. And it can give him a boost! Great!

And it even doesn't need the bug typing... Until you realize that othewise it won't have quiver dance so let it have the bug typing

You could run Ice if you are afraid enough of dragonite and Rock if you want to lure Zard Y and taloflame. Fighting just hits harder tyranitar, which it already is hit by giga drain and ground, and it provides worse coverage to anything else

If you are dumb and don't appreciate your Spa boosted, you could run Hurricane, that is also inaccurate, or being retarded enough to run Bug buzz

Oh yeah, and KingKarp needs splash, remember he is the best splasher in the game

Edit: Heatran isn't a thing in this meta. Rock Fiery Dance Have the best neutral coverage now. Totally reccomended

Last edited:

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I've been having a lot of success with a set I come up with while frustrated by Dragonite - this set happens to check a lot of strong mons while offering a lot of utility, and I've used it on literally every team I've built for the meta because it offers so much utility.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Def
- U-turn / [Ice]
- Iron Head
- Thunder Punch / Fire Punch
- Healing Wish

Volt-Turn is generally pretty incredible, and Jirachi has the typing to cover a lot of prominent threats defensively. Scarfrachi often carries Ice Punch, so changing U-Turn to ice easily opens up another moveslot - I've been using Thunder Punch because Gyarados is really popular on ladder and is rough for my team, but Fire Punch generally offers better coverage. Having the open slot means you'll always have room for Healing Wish, which is also pretty incredible in this meta for giving Dragonite another round.

Notably checks Noivern, Dragonite, Zygarde (not Espeed Ground variants, you have to scout unfortunately), most Landorus variants, Thundurus especially Thundy-T (stop using this it's not very good), Tornadus-T, and Kyub. Fits a ton of teams. It's currently the cornerstone of my Voltturn team and honestly a huge part of why it works.

Some ok but not great replays of it in action
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/custompower-381836351
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/custompower-381834707

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
There's been a fair bit of talk about repurposing Return/Frustration for STAB, but what about Facade? Notable, Guts Conk, Gliscor, 'Loom I guess, and even Luxray/Flareon seem like solid users.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
What happens if I run Assist in the first slot? Will the move it calls match the IV value for the Pokemon that called it, the Pokemon that hosts it (assuming it's in that Pokemon's first slot), or its natural typing?

Infernape uses Fire-type V-create. It doesn't matter how it calls it because the move is not in its first slot; ergo, it isn't affected by IVs.
Yeah it's what TI said; Hidden Power works like that because it's a property of the move itself. In this metagame, that functionality is applied to the move in your first slot, so Assist would be Fighting type but that doesn't matter since it calls another move right away.

On the other hand, something related that could be neat is whatever attack you like in the first slot + Prankster Copycat. Use the first move on a switch or against something faster, then Copycat will call that move and since it's in your first slot it'll still change type but now it has priority! Probably loses badly to Extreme Speed spam, since Liepard is the best user of this combo. +1 Dark Gunk Shot that can poison sounds tempting though.

"Art" by me

CUSTOM POWER
Tired of not having the right coverage, or even worse, not having a reliable STAB move on your Pokemon? In CUSTOM POWER, your Pokemon can re-purpose their attacks into a new type just by changing their IVs, giving them the coverage or STAB they've always wanted!

Rules:

Mechanic
: The first move in your Pokemon's moveslot is changed to match your Pokemon's Hidden Power type value.
Clauses: OU clauses
Bans: OU banlist, Dragonite
Unbans: N/A

Strategy:

Basic Coverage Strategy: Pokemon that struggle to break through certain checks and counters can now "re-purpose" an attack and gain coverage. For example, Keldeo struggles to break through bulky Grass, Water, and Dragon Pokemon. In Custom Power it can change a move such as Surf, which offers redundant STAB, into a new type to beat those checks/counters. Surf-Ice helps break the Grass and Dragon Pokemon or it can opt for Surf-Electric to hit the Water-types.

Basic STAB Strategy: Pokemon that lack reliable STAB moves are now able to gain them by putting a strong attack in their first moveslot. Kyurem-B misses out on physical Ice STAB normally, but if it runs Return in the first moveslot with the Hidden Power value set for Ice, it gains a powerful Ice-type STAB move.

Other Strategies: Momentum becomes more valuable for certain Pokemon now that they can retype U-turn or Volt Switch. Landorus-T usually carries U-turn to pivot out on the opponent's team, so if you change it to the Flying-type, it maintains its ability to gain momentum while also gaining a Flying STAB move all in one! Electric types use Volt Switch in the same way, but Ground-types are able to absorb the attack with ease. Now they can change Volt Switch to a type such as Ice or Water to punish those Ground-types.

Priority moves are normally limited to a handful of types, and the strongest, Extreme Speed, is a Normal-type move that hits nothing super effectively. Now you can change your priority to revenge certain threats, such as changing Fake Out on Mega Lopunny to the Fighting-type, which allows it to revenge Normal, Rock, Dark, and Steel-types. And with Extreme Speed, Pokemon like Lucario and Arcanine gain strong STAB priority, making them much more threatening.

Some other niche strategies include unblockable Rapid Spin (with Dark), Pursuit-trapping the target of your choice (with Water, allowing Floatzel to trap and remove Fire-types), paralyzing Ground-types (with Dark Thunder Wave), and stronger Foul Plays on support Pokemon (with Steel on Klefki).

Q&A:

Q:
Help! My move didn't change type! What's wrong?
A: Only the first move changes type, so make sure to add the move that you which to change in the first moveslot in the teambuilder. Then make sure your IVs are changed appropriately. If there's still a problem, see the next Question below.

Q: How do you set the IVs on your Pokemon?
A: While in the teambuilder on Pokemon Showdown, adjust the IVs using the table in post #2. Do not add the move Hidden Power in order to manipulate the IVs, as once you remove the attack, the teambuilder will revert the IVs back to normal. (You can also teambuild under the Hidden Type format which doesn't revert IVs if you use the move Hidden Power.)

Q: Why can't I set my IVs to get Normal or Fairy moves?
A: There are no Hidden Power-Normal or Hidden Power-Fairy, so unfortunately you cannot gain coverage with these types.

Q: Why didn't my Talonflame gain priority when I changed Return into the Flying-type?
A: The code looks for the ability Gale Wings before it looks for moves that have changed type, such as with Hidden Power, which means by the time it realizes Return is now a Flying-type, it's already passed the Gale Wings check. However, if you change the type of a move that's originally Flying such as Brave Bird to Fighting, that move will still gain the Gale Wings priority. (See this post for more.)

Q: Will Normal moves that changed type still gain the Pixilate/Refrigerate/Aerilate boost?
A: No, because the -ate abilities are checked by the code after it looks for moves that have changed type, such as with Hidden Power. If you change Hyper Voice to Fire on your Mega Gardevoir, Pixilate will think the move is now a Fire-type attack and won't apply. (See this post for more.)

Resources:

IV list: Here.
Viability Ranking: Coming soon!
Playability: You can play Custom Power on the main Pokemon Showdown server for the month of June!

Council: N/A

Ban History: Dragonite - June 4, 2016

If we change spikes IV's do they become that new type?

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
If we change spikes IV's do they become that new type?
It wouldn't really matter because Spikes are grounded anyways (and don't deal type based damage). Also, I don't think Stealth Rock changes type, but Same Type Stealth Rock does that.
changing the base moves type doesn't alter the hazard actually thrown out, since that is a seperate code to the typing itself (eg, grass type stealth rocks will throw out a hazard that checks for rock type weaknesses and resistances regardless on the type of the move. said logic applies to inverse as well as it still checks for rocks weaknesses and resistances in said environment). its like soak, electrify, and such in that regard.

Breloom @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Feint [Rock]
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch / Iron Tail

Rock type Feint with Technician... You could also use LO but i don't like 10% recoil =T

252 Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Feint (Rock) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 392-464 (109.1 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Feint (Rock) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 136-160 (45.7 - 53.8%) -- 40.2% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Feint (Rock) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Victini: 146-174 (42.8 - 51%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Feint (Rock) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus-T: 200-236 (67.1 - 79.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Feint (Rock) vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 198-234 (61.3 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Just... Rock type Feint.

Last edited:
I like the idea of that set but choice locking yourself into spore isn't great as it leaves you set up bait and breloom is frail anyway so life orb the recoil isn't too much of a problem.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
I like the idea of that set but choice locking yourself into spore isn't great as it leaves you set up bait and breloom is frail anyway so life orb the recoil isn't too much of a problem.
this isnt nessisarily true, choice banded spore is good simply as a "nullifier" or a "Safe attack". for example, if your loom is vs someone with a rhyperior and a latios and you want to predict the switch, but fear the potential stay-in, spore is a safe way of not only nullifying your opponent, but also giving you a chance to nullify one of banded looms checks, and forces them to either A) switch out, or B) waste a turn while you switch into a mon that can capitalize on the sleep both of which are in your favor. almost every scenario within the two turn timespan is in your teams favor:

1) loom spores the mon on the field, forcing them to switch out. this is in your favor
2) loom spores the mon on the field, forcing them to waste another sleep turn, this is in your favor
3)
loom spores the mon on the field, but the mon gets a 1rst turn wake, this is not in your favor.
4+5) loom spores the switchin. this is in your favor no matter if they switch or if they waste a sleep turn.

each scenario, lets loom switch out freely and either capitalize on the free turn, or just get momentum overall. the point of banded spore is to "sleep and retreat" which at the worst, forces you and your opponent to switch togeather which would still be in your favor considering you would be in a bad matchup in the first place. its a fairly rare situation, but it offers more support then any other coverage move breloom might want to add. its why many specs/scarfed mons with sleep moves (jynx and darkrai to name a few) tend to slash it onto their sets. helps that a lot of people have the mentality banded wont run spore, so they run into their counters making it easier for you to capitalize on it.

Are there any sample teams or is there somewhere to donate sample teams for this?
Starting either today or tomorrow, if you are in the top 20 of ladder you can submit teams to the sample teams thread. Alternatively, you can add them to the om team dump.

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
Any volunteers to start a VR for post #2? I'd like one similar to AAA, which lists the CP move(s) alongside the Pokemon.

Example
Return-Ice, Outrage-Ice
Extreme Speed-Fire, Extreme Speed-Ice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)