The move tutors in gen V are as follows:

Draco Meteor
Frenzy Plant
Hydro Cannon
Blast Burn
Grass Oath
Water Oath
Fire Oath

The last six moves are starter-pokemon exclusive.

Draco Meteor
Frenzy Plant
Hydro Cannon
Blast Burn
Grass Oath
Water Oath
Fire Oath

Really? Nothing else?

Wow. Bummer. Oh well, so much for that. But Hihi (as I now lovingly shorten its name to) will still be awesome, I know it.

I think it'd be strange to give an ability like encourage to a pokemon that only get's like... 2 secondary effect moves though. (Fire Fang and Headbutt)
Flare Blitz has 10% Burn chance. So if Encourage does work like this, Flare Blitz still gets the boost.

Also, Hihidaruma doesn't learn Zen Headbutt? Such a shame.

What is it? A monkey? A pig? *Looks at Mankey* Nope, I don't think it's either.
Further studies revealed nothing to me, although I do believe that Daruma Hihidaruma will be very influential even though it's an ambiguous creature.

If there are interesting move tutors in fifth gen like there were in HGSS (see gravity and low kick) then I believe Hihidaruma will benefit.
It's based off Daruma dolls. Hence the name.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I know it's been said before, but I've tested ingame and encourage doesn't prevent recoil from flare blitz or the speed drop from hammer arm (the 2 I tested) so it very likely prevents all negative effects

Draco Meteor
Frenzy Plant
Hydro Cannon
Blast Burn
Grass Oath
Water Oath
Fire Oath

The oath moves are physical hyperbeams?

Also does anyoen know if hyper beam went back to the way it was in gen 1 where you didnt have to recharge if you Koed a poke? That might acctually the hyper beam moves usable.

I'd rather just go encourage as daruma mode is a gimmick. Although he sits just below the base 100 alot of 4th gen pokes sat at, 5th gen pokes seem to hover around 90, so he outspeeds most of them. I see something like
Flare Blitz/Fire Punch
Earthquake
Superpower/Focus Punch
Encore/Sleep Talk

With choice band or life orb.

The oath moves are physical hyperbeams?

Also does anyoen know if hyper beam went back to the way it was in gen 1 where you didnt have to recharge if you Koed a poke? That might acctually the hyper beam moves usable.
The Oath moves are those that can be used in combination with one another to make field effects.

Water + Fire Oath = Rainbow that can cause confusion.
Water + Grass Oath = Swamp that lowers speed.
Fire + Grass Oath = Burning field that causes damage.

Actually, if Encourage does stop the negative effects (and I agree with Scicky that the number of backlash moves Hihi learns seems to say something), Focus Punch would be even better than Superpower I guess. Maybe Flare Blitz/Overheat/Focus Punch/Giga Impact.
I can't think of a single poké that takes more damage from Overheat off base 30 spA than it does from any of Hihi's physical moves. Overheat with no drawbacks is nice, but it doesn't aid Hihi in any way.

I can't think of a single poké that takes more damage from Overheat off base 30 spA than it does from any of Hihi's physical moves. Overheat with no drawbacks is nice, but it doesn't aid Hihi in any way.
Didn't think of that, I forgot when posting that how abysmally low Hihi's SPA was. I was just thinking of Encourage abuse, which is unfortunately sounding like it won't work anyway.

In a pinch is 25% if the previous generations' jargon persists

When I first saw this guy, I thought choice scarf. Encourage, 95 Base Speed and 140 Attack. I scanned the new Pokes and Jolly Scarf 95 makes a decent revenge killer. But the guy above said Encourage doesn't negate the negative effects, this probably means it won't boost the attack of its Flare Blitz or Hammer Arms...

Daruma Mode seems very very very interesting. Substituting, Flare Blitz recoil, LO recoil and Stealth Rocks will definitely help it get to 25%. But after that, it gets a Super Overheat and a crappy Special movepool...

I fear Hihidaruma might be a wasted opportunity...

JEZUS CHRIST

ENCOURAGE BOOSTS THE POWER ON ALL ATTACKS NOT ONLY ONE WITH SECONDARY EFFECTS. IT ONLY REMOVES FLICHING/BURNING/PYRALYSIS AND NO STAT DROPS.

And CB Flare Blitz will even hurt bulky waters but other than that this guy really isn't too much to worry about.

In a pinch is 25% if the previous generations' jargon persists

When I first saw this guy, I thought choice scarf. Encourage, 95 Base Speed and 140 Attack. I scanned the new Pokes and Jolly Scarf 95 makes a decent revenge killer. But the guy above said Encourage doesn't negate the negative effects, this probably means it won't boost the attack of its Flare Blitz or Hammer Arms...

Daruma Mode seems very very very interesting. Substituting, Flare Blitz recoil, LO recoil and Stealth Rocks will definitely help it get to 25%. But after that, it gets a Super Overheat and a crappy Special movepool...

I fear Hihidaruma might be a wasted opportunity...
Overgrow, Blaze, Torrent, etc. are described as working "in a pinch", but they activate at 33% HP rather than 25%. It's not implausible for Daruma Mode to activate at 50% HP.

JEZUS CHRIST

ENCOURAGE BOOSTS THE POWER ON ALL ATTACKS NOT ONLY ONE WITH SECONDARY EFFECTS. IT ONLY REMOVES FLICHING/BURNING/PYRALYSIS AND NO STAT DROPS.

And CB Flare Blitz will even hurt bulky waters but other than that this guy really isn't too much to worry about.
Just curious... but do you know if it also negates stat boosts? In particular I'm wondering if Hihi can still get the speed boost from nitro charge...

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I just tested out Daruma Mode.

Hihidaruma will transform into Daruma Mode at the end of the turn if its HP falls below 50%. If you switch Hihidaruma out, it will revert to its normal form. It is always in normal form when switching in. Therefore, you cannot switch Hihidaruma in when below 50% health and expect it to take an attack with Daruma Mode defenses. If Hihidaruma is in Daruma Mode and its HP rises above 50%, it will revert back to normal mode at the end of the turn.

For reference:
Normal form stats: 105 / 140 / 55 / 30 / 55 / 95
Daruma Mode stats: 105 / 30 / 105 / 140 / 105 / 55

I think Scarf is the way to go with Hihidaruma.

I mean, 140 attack with Flare Blitz boosted by Encourage is nuts.

Also, according to Stellar (right above me), it when it switches out when in Daruma mode it reverts back to normal. So, it can abuse Scarf pretty well.

I just tested out Daruma Mode.

Hihidaruma will transform into Daruma Mode at the end of the turn if its HP falls below 50%. If you switch Hihidaruma out, it will revert to its normal form. It is always in normal form when switching in. Therefore, you cannot switch Hihidaruma in when below 50% health and expect it to take an attack with Daruma Mode defenses. If Hihidaruma is in Daruma Mode and its HP rises above 50%, it will revert back to normal mode at the end of the turn.

For reference:
Normal form stats: 105 / 140 / 55 / 30 / 55 / 95
Daruma Mode stats: 105 / 30 / 105 / 140 / 105 / 55
Interesting...I'm wondering how this interacts with Leftovers. If lefties brings it up over the mark, will he turn back into normal mode? If not, I could see lefties getting used with daruma mode...

Honestly if the positions were switched this would be way better. Super defensive til 50% HP and then super offensive after, I would think. I just think this will be a gimmick, sadly. Look at regigigas as an example: tremendous power but takes care to access it and by then half your move pool and most likely half your life (or more) is gone. I just think there are things that do the job better than this half-life mode garbage. Interesting pokemon, but competitively I think this won't see much, if any, light of day.

Fangren: What stellar said is pretty clear. If its HP rises above 50%, it will revert back to normal mode at the end of the turn so it's assumed lefties are calculated before the revert stage.

Your opinion would apply only to Daruma mode Hihi, then. Encourage Hihi is still absurdly powerful, especially if Flare Blitz gets boosted due to that 10% burn rate.

I think Scarf is the way to go with Hihidaruma.

I mean, 140 attack with Flare Blitz boosted by Encourage is nuts.

Also, according to Stellar (right above me), it when it switches out when in Daruma mode it reverts back to normal. So, it can abuse Scarf pretty well.
Doesn't the regular (bred etc.) Hihi always have Encourage?

I totally agree with you on the Scarf thing. I can see some noob trying to run a Belly Drum set as well :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)