Death Penalty for Sexual Offenders

In my computers class we were talking about online predators. Then a whole discussion started about whether we should have the Death Penalty for them.

In my opinion i thought that it was fine. These people have done a horrific crime and have probably or were probably gonna scar children for life. I probably don't know how bad death really is but that's just my opinion.

Thoughts?

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender

Jail for 20+ years, yes. Death penalty is something used for crimes so bad, that you yourself feel you should just end your life. Being an online predator targeting little kids on the internet is a very bad thing yes, but I don't think you should be executed for it. Of course that is just my opinion, I am sure others would completely disagree with me.

I'm thinking that death penalties would be good for repeat sexual offenders, and terrible sex crimes dealing with children.

I mean in my mind, murder can sometimes be justified. Rape can never be justified.

The argument over having the death penalty isn't over which crimes it should be applied to -- it's pretty much agreed that the debate concerning capital punishment is limited, at least in the US, to aggravated murders/first-degree murders/very serious felonies/treason. Whether capital punishment should be used in the punishment of those crimes is the major issue -- there's no argument for it being used in cases of child abuse or statutory rape

The death penalty is amazing let's all jerk off over how great it is

uuuh oooh yeaaah

here mr. paul let me rub on out for you

that's president paul to you baby

vote ron paul 2012

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The argument over having the death penalty isn't over which crimes it should be applied to -- it's pretty much agreed that the debate concerning capital punishment is limited, at least in the US, to aggravated murders/first-degree murders/very serious felonies/treason. Whether capital punishment should be used in the punishment of those crimes is the major issue -- there's no argument for it being used in cases of child abuse or statutory rape
^finally a post with a brain behind it. The OP is dumb.

Only if I accept the death penalty as a whole.

Not sure I do.

Yeah, basically this.

It depends on what you consider the task of the death penalty is. In practice, it doesn't act as an effective deterrant factor. However, prison doesn't act as an effective rehabilitator, and ineffective administration has repeatedly allowed sexual offenders (among others) to be released early for good behaviour or otherwise (in some cases, despite the offender telling the parole board they would reoffend) - it is therefore a much more cost-effective punishment solution to have a death penalty, but because of the automatic appeals and jury reticence to convict for it, the costs of the trial itself rocket up.

I'd say a better reform would be making the sexual assault legal procedure less chauvinistic - currently (in Aus, at least) the very structure of sexual assault charges are different and defendant-biased to every other crime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)