Deoxys-A (2/2)

I'm fine with giggity69's changes for the Anti-Lead (except with Magic Coat in AC instead). So uh

[QC]1/3[/QC] (again)

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok magic coat is out of OO and now in AC of Sash Lead.
If we are going to keep the hazard lead, make sure you emphasize its advantages over deo-s, mainly an enormous offensive presence (shit won't set up in your face without immediately being killed), ability to beat spinnrs, and the fact that it lacks deo-s' reputation, so stuff like xatu will never switch in because deo-a normally doesn't fill that role.
All this stuff was in SC. Just making sure, everyone's fine with set order right or should I change that too (In my opinion, Life Orb attacker is better then Hazard Lead but both have their niches, since the two sets are so similar to each other I wouldn't mind putting Hazard Lead in front of All-out attacker).

Thanks for the approval stamp Tobes.

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
I would say anti-lead>life orb> hazard lead. The first two sets play to it's strengths more than the hazard set.
Ok that's the sets current order so it looks like I won't have to change anything :P, thanks for your opinion. Does anyone else have complaints on slashing / set order / want something else added or... is this ready for stamps?

EDIT: At the post below me, I've fixed the sprite.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh boy, Deo-A can be a total nightmare of slashes at times because it's got so many good AC options... here's my piece on it as a QC member.

-Normally I don't like the idea of splitting a set just because of Spikes... but Deoxys-A is a very good and unique Spiker for offensive teams, so I'm okay with this just because of the slash issues. I personally think it'd be best if Spikes was the 2nd set though. While Spikes isn't super common on Deo-A, Focus Sash is by far Deoxys-A's most common item in Ubers, and this does pretty much play like a regular sash Deoxys-A only with one less coverage moveslot in exchange for Spikes!

- While its not 100% needed for all teams, mention the usual spin blockers in the Spiker, because while Deoxys-A can beat all the spinners, it won't last long, and it'd be a shame to lose those Spikes after Deoxys-A's death...

-While Grass Knot may offer poor coverage, mention the fact that its the only way Sash Deoxys-A can consistently OHKO support Groudon.

-In all AC mentions for Thunder, you might want to mention the fact that Thunder is the only way Deoxys-A can OHKO Skarmory in the rain lol. Also for LO, Thunder always OHKOs min HP Kyogre after SR, and has a chance of KOing Lugia after SR too.

-For LO, mention that Dark Pulse is the only way to OHKO offensive Mewtwo after Stealth Rock.

-Might as well change Mild to Rash on the slash in to match Naive's SpD loss + boosting Genesect's SpA instead of Atk. Speaking of that...

-For the LO set, get more into detail about Deo-A's two viable Rash EV spreads: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe (16 Atk and 240 Spe for HP Fire btw), and 184 Atk / 88 SpA / 236 Spe (again, 180 Atk and 240 Spe for HP Fire). The main drawbacks to both spreads are that you lose to Naive Deoxys-A, no longer outspeed neutral base 90-95 Scarfers, and you can no longer outspeed +1 Jolly Blaziken. but the power boost can be extremely useful otherwise.

-For the first spread, you should mention some of the new calcs. For example, Thunder now almost always OHKOs Lugia after SR and you now always OHKO max HP Kyogre after SR. Here is also a cool thing about Mild max SpA: you now deal 80% minimum to max HP Ghost Arceus. That might not seem too cool beyond the usual "more damage stuff", but this actually lets you do just enough damage to where even a non boosted 4 Atk Genesect U-turn + Stealth Rock damage will actually put max HP Ghost Arceus into Psycho Boost's KO range! Additionally, Psycho Boost now OHKOs min HP Kyogre after SR, and Ice Beam now always 2HKOs SpD Giratina-A after SR.

- The ev Spread with more attack should be used with ExtremeSpeed and Superpower. The 88 SpA evs gives you the same ammount of SpA as max SpA Naive Deoxys-A, while the Attack evs give you an ExtremeSpeed that is now more powerful than Adamant Rayquaza's! Also, a max attack unboosted Genesect U-turn or a +1 4atk boosted Genesect U-turn + Stealth Rock damage can now put max HP Dialga in the KO range of Superpower (alternatly, Spikes damage will put Dialga in the KO range too, but playing up the synergy of Genesect with Deoxys-A is probably a good idea because they are such great teammates)! Superpower will also now always OHKO Ferrothorn and Chansey after Stealth Rock damage.

-For LO Deoxys-A, focus non hazard teammates section on getting Deoxys-A in via ways that don't involve revenge kills. AKA a huge mention of Genesect, and mention Wobbuffet, Scizor, and Zekrom.

-Specs should still be other options, but there is one really cool thing about it that should be mentioned: Rash Specs actually OHKOs max HP Arceus after Stealth Rock with Psycho Boost!

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
-Normally I don't like the idea of splitting a set just because of Spikes... but Deoxys-A is a very good and unique Spiker for offensive teams, so I'm okay with this just because of the slash issues. I personally think it'd be best if Spikes was the 2nd set though. While Spikes isn't super common on Deo-A, Focus Sash is by far Deoxys-A's most common item in Ubers, and this does pretty much play like a regular sash Deoxys-A only with one less coverage moveslot in exchange for Spikes!
Spikes Deo-a is now second set, LO Deo-A is third.
- While its not 100% needed for all teams, mention the usual spin blockers in the Spiker, because while Deoxys-A can beat all the spinners, it won't last long, and it'd be a shame to lose those Spikes after Deoxys-A's death...
Spinblockers mentioned.
-While Grass Knot may offer poor coverage, mention the fact that its the only way Sash Deoxys-A can consistently OHKO support Groudon.
Grass Knot has an AC mention in Sash Attacker (not in sash spiker because it already has to use one moveslot for Spikes, Psycho Boost is needed, your going to be compensating something and I don't know if its good for a spiker that's supposed to get 2-3 layers on Groudon.
-In all AC mentions for Thunder, you might want to mention the fact that Thunder is the only way Deoxys-A can OHKO Skarmory in the rain lol. Also for LO, Thunder always OHKOs min HP Kyogre after SR, and has a chance of KOing Lugia after SR too.
Noted and mentioned.
For LO, mention that Dark Pulse is the only way to OHKO offensive Mewtwo after Stealth Rock.
Noted and mentioned.
For the first spread, you should mention some of the new calcs. For example, Thunder now almost always OHKOs Lugia after SR and you now always OHKO max HP Kyogre after SR. Here is also a cool thing about Mild max SpA: you now deal 80% minimum to max HP Ghost Arceus. That might not seem too cool beyond the usual "more damage stuff", but this actually lets you do just enough damage to where even a non boosted 4 Atk Genesect U-turn + Stealth Rock damage will actually put max HP Ghost Arceus into Psycho Boost's KO range! Additionally, Psycho Boost now OHKOs min HP Kyogre after SR, and Ice Beam now always 2HKOs SpD Giratina-A after SR.
I'll add some calcs on Thunder but I'm not sure which pokes I need to highlight on that Mild Psycho Boost KOes X_X, just everything that matters?
- The ev Spread with more attack should be used with ExtremeSpeed and Superpower. The 88 SpA evs gives you the same ammount of SpA as max SpA Naive Deoxys-A, while the Attack evs give you an ExtremeSpeed that is now more powerful than Adamant Rayquaza's! Also, a max attack unboosted Genesect U-turn or a +1 4atk boosted Genesect U-turn + Stealth Rock damage can now put max HP Dialga in the KO range of Superpower (alternatly, Spikes damage will put Dialga in the KO range too, but playing up the synergy of Genesect with Deoxys-A is probably a good idea because they are such great teammates)! Superpower will also now always OHKO Ferrothorn and Chansey after Stealth Rock damage.
I'll add some calcs on shortly, but I'm concerned about having a huge AC section now. The two new spread's have been noted and mentioned of their merits.
-For LO Deoxys-A, focus non hazard teammates section on getting Deoxys-A in via ways that don't involve revenge kills. AKA a huge mention of Genesect, and mention Wobbuffet, Scizor, and Zekrom.
Genesect and Wobba were already on. I mentioned Scizor and Zekrom right by them.
-Specs should still be other options, but there is one really cool thing about it that should be mentioned: Rash Specs actually OHKOs max HP Arceus after Stealth Rock with Psycho Boost!
Specs Psycho Boost OHKOing max HP Arceus has been noted and mentioned.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Honestly Deoxys-A is always gonna be hard to sort out, but you have it sorted out better than anyone else atm... so QC approved 3/3, sorry for the long wait!

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
Double posting to say this guy is finally written up (sorry about the long wait :().

According to the new rules though he needs one more QC check.

For this reason I have left the skeleton / change proposals in hide tags in case any QC members want to critique something or look at it.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi! Please remember to have the SET, SET COMMENTS, and ADDITIONAL COMMENTS tags capitalized. Thanks!

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi! Please remember to have the SET, SET COMMENTS, and ADDITIONAL COMMENTS tags capitalized. Thanks!
Ok, these things are now in caps. They weren't in the last analysis so I just wasn't sure :(.

This was past QC checks before the new rule, so you can just pass this through GP checks. 6 QC checks is more than enough.

THIS MESSAGE WILL DESTROY ITSELF LATER.
I will quote this to keep record of this after its destroyed itself. On a more serious note, I changed the tag to copyeditting. Considering that Deoxys-A is still pretty controversial, I would like Poppy to give this a GP check (and thus QC check at the same time) if possible (if he's busy then this can be ignored completely and two other people can GP check). I also took out the hidden parts of the skeleton because it doesn't look like it needed and it interferes with the GP checking process.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Deoxys-A: Because We Can. (GF)

Add blue cut red comments below

Edit:Thanks for doing that, it's cool to see comment responses

[Overview]
<p>The epitome of offense, Deoxys-A is a true powerhouse in every sense of the word. Between its unrivaled base 180 attacking stats (the highest in the game), blistering base 150 Speed, and fantastic movepool, including the coveted ExtremeSpeed, Deoxys-A has everything it needs to tear gaping holes in the opposing team. Access to the coveted Stealth Rock and Spikes let it serve as a suicide or attacking lead whose unparalleled offenses allow it to ward off every user of Rapid Spin and Magic Bounce in the game! Unfortunately, its poor typing and practically nonexistent defenses offer little defensive synergy to its team, and as even relatively weak neutral attacks will easily knock it out, it usually needs extensive team support to pull off a clean sweep. The fact that it is easily revenge killed by users of Choice Scarf and priority moves—even Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave—also makes it difficult for Deoxys-A to find a place on a team. Couple this with the fact Deoxys-A is walled by certain Pokemon depending on what move it forgoes and you can see why its rarely seen in the Ubers tier. These faults aside, however, Deoxys-A is certainly a threat to prepare for.</p>
[SET]
name: Focus Sash Attacker
move 1: Psycho Boost
move 2: Ice Beam / Dark Pulse
move 3: Superpower / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: ExtremeSpeed
item: Focus Sash
nature: Naive
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Presenting Deoxys-A's bread and butter set, one of the tier's premiere offensive anti-leads, t. This set can take on most leads in the current metagame and come out on top. If you thought Draco Meteor spam was impressive, think again: Deoxys-A's Psycho Boost is even more powerful, and does an immense amount of damage to anything that isn't outright immune to Psychic. For reference, Psycho Boost does 90.6% - 106.8% to Rayquaza, and hits Dragon-type Pokemon 2x weak to Ice-type moves harder than Ice Beam does.! Ice Beam and Dark Pulse improve Deoxys-A's coverage; the former provides Deoxys-A with a move to hit Rayquaza and Groudon outside of Psycho Boost while the latter allows Deoxys-A to hit its Psychic brethren, namely Deoxys-S, Deoxys-N, Latios, and Latias, super effectively, all while providing a handy 20% flinch chance. Superpower is a similar to Psycho Boost, albeit physically based move, and hittings Steel- and Dark-types that resist or are immune to Psycho Boost for super effective damage. This notably allows Deoxys-A to revenge kill non-Focus Sash Darkrai. Hidden Power Fire also allows you to quickly OHKO Forretress and Ferrothorn. It should be noted that if Deoxys-A lacks Hidden Power Fire, then it will have great difficulty hurting Forretress, as it resists all other moves Deoxys-A can throw at it barring Superpower--which it easily absorbs thanks to its high physical Defense. However, without Superpower, Deoxys-A will find itself walled by Chansey. ExtremeSpeed is great for taking out weakened opponents such as Focus Sash Deoxys-S, and lands a decent hit on Choice Scarf users attempting to revenge kill Deoxys-A. It also provides midgame revenge killing utility should Deoxys-A survive that long, which happens surprisingly often. However, it can be replaced with a coverage move if your team doesn't have much trouble with revenge killers and doesn't mind Deoxys-S nabbing an extra layer of Spikes on you.</p>
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Max Speed and Special Attack with a Naive nature are used to make the most of Deoxys-A's amazing offensive stats, as its Defense is so poor that it will not survive any hits; in any case, it utilizes a Focus Sash. The remaining 4 EVs should go into Attack to boost Superpower and ExtremeSpeed. In particular, this Speed investment also allows Deoxys-A to outspeed Modest Choice Scarf Kyogre and other neutral-natured base 90 Speed Choice Scarf users. A Rash nature, however, is also usable. An alternative spread of 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe with a Rash nature allows Deoxys-A to still outpace Mewtwo and other base 130 Speed Pokemon, taking into account Hidden Power Fire's imperfect Speed IV. Using max Speed in tandem with Hidden Power Fire with a Rash nature is not advised, as the point lost in Speed will prevent a speed tie with opposing Deoxys-A, the only common Pokemon with base 150 Speed, so dropping to 395 Speed (just above the base 130 Speed tier) and shifting the remaining EVs to Attack is the preferred choice. Deoxys-A also has the option of running Magic Coat, Fire Punch, Thunder, Grass Knot, andor Ice Punch. Magic Coat allows Deoxys-A to reflect Spikes and Dark Void back at Deoxys-S and Darkrai respectively, if you can predict correctly. Fire Punch provides solid coverage while preserving perfect IVs, but it will be slightly weaker than Hidden Power Fire due to unequal offensive investment. Thunder is reliant on Rain, but it allows Deoxys-A to hit enemy Deoxys, Forretress, Kyogre, Lugia, and Ho-Oh hard. Grass Knot allows you to always OHKO defensive Groudon, without the Psycho Boost stat drops, but its inability to hit Steel-types burdens Deoxys-A. Lastly, Ice Punch can be used over Ice Beam. While it may seem inferior to Ice Beam at first glance, it is Deoxys-A's strongest move against, solely for enemy Latios and Latias.</p>
<p>As a dedicated lead, Deoxys-A does not require much support from the team. Should you forgo Magic Coat, a sleep absorber will be necessary, as Choice Scarf Darkrai will outspeed and incapacitate Deoxys-A with Dark Void before it can use Superpower. RestTalk + Calm Mind Kyogre is a great teammate in this regard, as it does not mind being put to sleep and can retaliate with Sleep Talk, either drowning Darkrai with Surf or setting up for an early sweep with Calm Mind. Beware of switching Kyogre into a Trick, however, as a Choice item will cripple it. If Deoxys-A lacks Hidden Power Fire, lead Scizor can also cause problems; fortunately, though, a defensive Kyogre is generally an apt switch in to most Scizor, as well. Though not commonly seen as a leads, Giratina-O and Extremekiller Arceus can take Deoxys-A out with consecutive Shadow Sneaks and ExtremeSpeeds respectively, but Psycho Boost will deal severe damage to them. Dialga can easily switch into a resisted Shadow Sneak and scare Giratina-O out, or OHKO it with STAB Dragon-type moves. While entry hazards may seem odd on an attacking lead, the immense offensive threat Deoxys-A presents can often force switches, which gives it an opportunity to get Stealth Rock or a layer of Spikes onto the field.</p>
[SET]
name: Sash Lead
move 1: Spikes / Stealth Rock
move 2: Psycho Boost
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Superpower
move 4: Ice Beam / ExtremeSpeed / Dark Pulse
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Deoxys-A's ability to force many switches and access to entry hazards, coupled with the ability to destroy all users of Rapid Spin and Magic Bounce, allows it to become a fantastic user of Stealth Rock and Spikes. The decision between Stealth Rock and Spikes is based on your team's needs. Stealth Rock takes only one turn to setup, and affects all types of Pokemon. Spikes, on the other hand, deals consistent damage to all non-Flying-type Pokemon. Psycho Boost hits extremely hard, and allows Deoxys-A to deal heavy damage to enemy leads. The third slot is reserved for Deoxys-A's coverage needs. Both moves allow Deoxys-A to hit Steel-types, but both have their notable attributes. Superpower allows Deoxys-A to dent Dialga and OHKO enemy Tyranitar, while Hidden Power Fire can bring Forretress down to Sturdy and OHKO enemy Ferrothorn. It should be noted that both Superpower and Hidden Power Fire can take up the last two slots if you wish to have insurance against Tyranitar, Dialga, Forretress, and Ferrothorn. The last slot is also based on the team's needs. Ice Beam allows Deoxys-A to OHKO Rayquaza and dentcrush Groudon without resorting to Psycho Boost. ExtremeSpeed 2HKOes Deoxys-S, and limits the amount of hazards it can setup. Lastly, Dark Pulse provides solid coverage against enemy Psychic-types, notably Deoxys-D, who would otherwise have no problem setting up hazards against Deoxys-A.</p>
[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>As a suicide lead, Deoxys-A doesn't really need teammates to help it do its job, but there are many teammates that appreciate hazards on the field. Sweepers such as Dragon Dance Rayquaza and Extreme Killer Arceus enjoy having hazards on the opponent's side of the field, as it greatly helps them sweep the opposition. This, coupled with Deoxys-A's ability to prevent hazards from going up on its side of the field, (thanks to the fact its foes will try to knock it out to avoid getting mauled by a Psycho Boost or Superpower), allows Deoxys-A to even better help a Pokemon sweep. There are, however, a few teammates Deoxys-A needs. A spin blocker such as Giratina or Ghost Arceus is needed so that the hazards Deoxys-A setup will not be spun away. Additionally, Pokemon that can switch into priority moves, such as Shadow Sneak or ExtremeSpeed are welcome. Dialga, in particular, makes a great partner. It can easily switch into a Shadow Sneak from Giratina and threaten to OHKO back with Draco Meteor. Dialga also can threaten any users of Rapid Spin with Fire Blast and Draco Meteor and provide Stealth Rock support, which allows Deoxys-A to run Spikes.</p>
<p>Deoxys-A can run moves not listed on the set, but note that Deoxys-A already will loose coverage. There is only one viable move not listed, and that is Thunder. Thunder, which can be used in the fourth slot as a hybrid between Dark Pulse and Hidden Power Fire. Thunder is Deoxys-A's strongest move against Skarmory, and allows Deoxys-A to hit enemy Psychic- and Steel-types neutrally. Thunder is also, hitsting Forretress a lot more harder then Superpower. Thunder, however, is reliant on rain, and since this Deoxys-A is designed to lead, it may be impossible to make Thunder an accurate move to use against certain teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 3: Superpower
move 4: ExtremeSpeed / Hidden Power Fire
item: Life Orb
nature: Naive / Rash
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>For a Pokemon that can't take a hit but has unparalleled power, what better item is there than Life Orb? Such an attacking set is one of Deoxys's best options, and its execution is simple: simply select the correct coverage move and decimate the opponent. Psycho Boost is the preferred move, as it provides a STAB boost and hiacts much like Latios's Draco Meteor in OU: spam it and things die. Ice Beam and Dark Pulse provide Deoxys-A with the ability to hit Latios and Latias. The former is useful for its great coverage over the tier, OHKOing Pokemon such as Groudon, Rayquaza, Shaymin-S, Garchomp, and Zekrom, without resorting to Psycho Boost. It, while also givesing Deoxys-A the best chance of 2HKOing Specially Defensive Giratina-a and hitting Latios and Latias hard. Dark Pulse, on the other hand, allows Deoxys-A to defeat all of its Psychic brethren--namely, 2HKOing Deoxys-D and Cresselia--, which are Pokemon that Deoxys-A otherwise struggles to defeat. It also is Deoxys-A's only move , while still hitting Latios and Latiaside Shadow Ball that card and even OHKO'ing offensive Mewtwo. Superpower allows Deoxys-A to OHKO Chansey, Darkrai, and Blissey, while providing Deoxys-A with the ability to hit Steel-types super effectively. The final slot is a toss up; Hidden Power Fire provides coverage against Ferrothorn in situations where the Attack drop from Superpower is not welcome and OHKOes Forretress outside of Sturdy, but it only nabs the OHKO on both in neutral or sunny weather. If Ferrothorn and Forretress are not issues, ExtremeSpeed is a great option to take down weakened revenge killers.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Since Deoxys-A is so versatile, its moveset can be molded to suit your team. Thunder, Grass Knot, Spikes, and Ice Punch are all good alternative moves that Deoxys-A can use. Thunder, although reliant on weather, allows Deoxys-A to hit enemy Steel-types and Psychic-types hard. It is also Deoxys-A's best move against Skarmory and Lugida in the rain, as it can OHKO both after Stealth Rock. Grass Knot hits Kyogre and Groudon hard without the need for Psycho Boost stat drops, but its lack of coverage outside of hitting the two often makes it a poor choice. Ice Punch may seem outclassed by Ice Beam at first glance, howeverbut it gives Deoxys-A's the best chance at OHKOing Latios and Latios, who avoid the OHKO byfrom Ice Beam, thanks to Soul Dew; it should be mentioned though that you now hit Giratina-a and Lugia a lot less harder though. Spikes may seem awkward on a set designed to destroy its enemies, but Deoxys-A's massive potential for destruction gives it time to setup multiple layers of Spikes. Do be careful if you use Spikes though, as predicting incorrectly will result in a dead Deoxys-A.</p>
<p>Deoxys-A has some alternative natures and spreads it can use aside from those listed. Maximum Speed along with a Naive nature is only selected as it enables Deoxys-A to outspeed everything up to +1 neutral-natured base 95 Speed Pokemon, such as Choice Scarf and Dragon Dance Rayquaza. A Rash or Mild nature is completely viable. An alternate spread of 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe and a Mild nature provides more more power at the cost of speed. In fact it, allowswoing Deoxys-A to OHKO and 2HKO threats that it had trouble with earlier., such as Specially Defensive Giratina-a, for example, is not 2HKOed after Steawell as Multh Rocks, whiscale-less Lugia and Latias, should the former lack Multiscale, will now be 2HKOed by Ice Beam without the need ofor Stealth Rocks. Deoxys-A can also invest in its Attack stat, as its Psycho Boostspecial attacks already hasve a lot of power. A set of 184 Atk / 88 SpA / 236 Spe is viable, as it provides a massive boost to Superpower and ExtremeSpeed, giving the former of the two also now has a chance to OHKO Support Dialga, Ferrothorn, and Chansey. It is recommended to use a Rash nature with this though, as a Rash Psycho Boost boosted by 88 Special Attack EVs is stronger then a Naive Psycho Boost boosted by 252 Special Attack EVs.</p>

<p>There are a few partners that Deoxys-A always enjoys having on its side. Since it is susceptible to revenge killing, Wobbufett is a good partner to get rid of Choice Scarf users; it can also Encore harmless moves to give Deoxys-A a safe switch-in. Steel-types can cause trouble for Deoxys-A, especially in rain, as several of them are hit neutrally by Superpower. For this rea, son, Magnezone is another good partner, trapping these Pokemon and potentially setting up on them with Substitute and Charge Beam. Deoxys-A's frailty greatly hurts its ability to get in safely, so partners that can get Deoxys-A safely with U-turn or Volt Switch--namely Genesect, Scizor, Forretress, and Zekrom-- are welcome. Deoxys-A will haves the tendency to cause a lot of switches in a match and wants as much residual damage on the team as possible so that it can have the best chance to sweep. This means Deoxys-A appreciates having a partner that can use entry hazards such as Stealth Rock and Spikes. Forretress can do this job well too. It can setup multiple hazards and allow Deoxys-A to switch back in easily thanks to its slow Volt Switch and Explosion.</p>
[Other Options]
<p>A few Choice items might come to mind when looking at Deoxys-A's stats. After all, base 180 in each offensive stat is nothing to scoff at. However, there are some huge issues with Choice Deoxys-A. The inability to change moves means Deoxys-A will have to switch often, particularly since Psycho Boost and Superpower both lower Deoxys-A's stats and cannot hit Dark- and Ghost-types respectively. As welllso, thanks to its abysmal defenses, Deoxys-A can pretty much only switch in after a teammate has fainted. Furthermore, Life Orb-boosted attacks already hit so hard that Pokemon which are not 2HKOed are few and far between. Choice Specs is incredibly strong though, capable of OHKOing even 252 HP Arceus. A Choice Scarf is also unnecessary, as base 150 Speed is already amazing, and to outspeed revenge killers by such large a margin is rather pointless when Deoxys-A could just switch out.</p>
<p>As for move choices, thanks to its stellar offensive stats, Deoxys-A can make use of just about any decently powerful move in its arsenal; your other teammates should determine which moves it runs. However, there are a few moves that stand out. Psyshock is the first, whichas it can 2HKO Chansey without the need for Superpower's stat drops. Low Kick is another option, which hits many heavy Uber Pokemon for a good amount of damage, again ifwhile once more avoiding Superpower's negative effects are unwanted. The combination of the two work well together, "persuading" Chansey not to switch in. Deoxys-A's ability to force many switches can be used to setup free Subtitutes, which not only lengthen Deoxys-A's longevity but also eases prediction, as Deoxys-A no longer has to worry about using the wrong move thatand allowsing a check to switch in. Pursuit also takes advantage of Deoxys-A's ability to force switches, killing or greatly weakening any Pokemon that dares switch out against Deoxys-A. Shadow Ball is an alternative to Dark Pulse if you fear that you may accidentally hit a Terrakion with the move and allow it to nab a boost in Attack, it does have issues though, asbut its inability to hit Normal types may allow Extremekiller Arceus to switch-in freely and proceed to kill it with ExtremeSpeed. Icy Wind and Low Sweep allow Deoxys-A to alleviate its issues with fast Choice Scarf Pokemon, but it should be noted that these moves are extremely weak. Signal Beam allows Deoxys-A to hit Darkrai and Mewtwo super effectively with one move, but it is quite weak and Bug-type moves provide terrible coverage on the rest of the tier. Taunt allows Deoxys-A to prevent a Pokemon from using healing itself, but it should be noted that the turn Deoxys-A uses this move could have been dedicated to hitting the opponent.</p>
[Checks and Counters]
<p>There are no true counters to Deoxys-A, since its expansive movepool means it might be carrying a move that hits said switch-in super effectively. There is, however, one thing that can be considered close to a counter, and that is Specially Defensive Arceus Psychic. Specially Defensive Arceus Psychic can easily switch into any move Deoxys-A has and proceed to outspeed and kill it the turn after with ExtremeSpeed. Deoxys-A also has many checks, some of which are listed above. To reiterate, anything faster than it or packing priority can reliably eliminate Deoxys-A. Most Choice Scarf users, such as Genesect, Palkia, Dialga, Jirachi, and Terrakion, are bulky enough to take an ExtremeSpeed and KO back with just about any move; however, it must be noted that neutral-natured +1 base 90 Speed Pokemon will not outspeed max Speed Deoxys-A. Deoxys-A is also greatly annoyed by Chlorophyll, Sand Rush, and Swift Swim users in sun, rain, and sand, respectively, as they can outspeed and KO Deoxys-A with a STAB move. Giratina, Arceus, Beartic, and Scizor can annoy Deoxys-A with priority moves such as Shadow Sneak, ExtremeSpeed, Bullet Punch, and Aqua Jet, forcing Deoxys-A to switch out unless it wishes to be KOed. There are some walls that can create problems for, should Deoxys-A too, should it lack a certain move, can crate problems for it. Latios and Latias can both comfortably take any hit barring Life Orb boosted Ice Punch and KO back with Dragon Pulse. Specially Defensive Latias makes an even better check, as it is capable of stomaching two Life Orb boosted Dark Pulses and can proceed to Recover the damage off, setup Light Screen to take hits with more ease, or just KO Deoxys-A with Dragon Pulse. Specially Defensive Giratina-a also avoids being 2HKOed by any move, barring Life Orbed Ice Beam and can proceed to KO Deoxys-A back with Dragon Tail. If Deoxys-A lacks Thunder and Stealth Rock is not setup, Defensive Ho-Oh can cause problems, as it can tank hits comfortably with its massive Special Defense. Lugia is another specially defensive bulwark / wall that can survive most of Deoxys-A's moves and easily KO back. Bulky Steel-types such as Scizor, Metagross, Forretress, Jirachi, and Bronzong will cause problems to Deoxys-A lacking a Fire-type move, and can OHKO back with a STAB move. Scizor and Metagross, in particular, boast STAB Bullet Punch to knock Deoxys-A out before it moves. Wobbufett, Cresselia, and Deoxys-D can easily switch into Deoxys-A lacking Dark Pulse. They can then OHKO Deoxys-A with Mirror Coat and Ice Beam, respectively, or proceed to cripple Deoxys-A with status. While rare, ExtremeSpeed Deoxys-S KOes its attacking brethren unless a Substitute is in the way.</p>

Comments:
I'm aware E-speed is a big deal, but I don't think it needs mentioning right at the start of the analysis, especially considering as it's slashed in 2/3 analyses, and is the second slash in one.
Little defensive synergy? You mean NO, right? Just saying
"If you thought meteor spam was impressive think again" A little out of place with what you're saying. I get what you were trying to say but don't say it like that perhaps
I don't think we need to mention that 95*2<140*1.5,in Ice beam Versus Psycho Boost.
You mention that Pulse lets you hit Lati@s SE, but... so does IB, and you say it's only for 'quaza and Groudon, as an alternative to burning your Psycho. Not to mention it hits stuff like Gira stronger, and Grassceus, and etc
Doesn't Restalk Ogre use Scald a lot now?
In LO AC, massive potential for what? I wrote destruction, but...
I wrote Special Attacks over Psycho Boost in LO AC.
Isn't it more important to mention Maggy killing steels than him setting up on them?

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
I'll implement the changes tommorow (its a bit late today where I am :(, and I'll edit this post when I finish the changes).

I'd like to address the comments today though.

I'm aware E-speed is a big deal, but I don't think it needs mentioning right at the start of the analysis, especially considering as it's slashed in 2/3 analyses, and is the second slash in one.
I think it should stay mentioned to be honest, it prevents Deoxys-S from setting up two layers on both of the lead sets and on the Life Orb set it lets it stop some weakened revenge killers that are faster then it.

Little defensive synergy? You mean NO, right? Just saying
Yeah, I'll change it to none.
"If you thought meteor spam was impressive think again" A little out of place with what you're saying. I get what you were trying to say but don't say it like that perhaps
I don't think we need to mention that 95*2<140*1.5,in Ice beam Versus Psycho Boost.
It was in the original analysis and I saw nothing wrong with keeping it, I'll get rid of it since its somewhat unnecessary.
You mention that Pulse lets you hit Lati@s SE, but... so does IB, and you say it's only for 'quaza and Groudon, as an alternative to burning your Psycho. Not to mention it hits stuff like Gira stronger, and Grassceus, and etc
I guess I need to clarify this further in the analysis (I thought the current mention was enough to be honest), basically Ice Beam and Dark Pulse are coverage for hitting the lati twins. Dark Pulse gives you greater insurance against enemy Psychic-types like Mewtwo and Cresselia and Deoxys-D but Ice Beam is stronger and hits Groudon and Rayquaza super effectively, OHKOing the latter without SR, and can be used if you don't want Psycho's stat drops.

Doesn't Restalk Ogre use Scald a lot now?
It does (will change).

I wrote Special Attacks over Psycho Boost in LO AC.
That's fine, I was mainly referring to Psycho Boost when I referred to Special Attacks but what you did is fine.

Isn't it more important to mention Maggy killing steels than him setting up on them?
I'll mention both, it can't stop ferro without sub + beam but Forry and Skarm are different.

EDIT: Some IRL stuff came up, I'll have it done by tommorow.

EDIT 2: CHANGES ARE MADE :D. Thank you for the am. check tehy.

Also I forgot to address the potential error, it was supposed to say offensive potential (something that can OHKO the entire metagame / has a lot of offensive potential can force a lot of switches), but potential for destruction means the same thing so I just stuck with that :P.

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>The epitome of offense, Deoxys-A is a true powerhouse in every sense of the word. Between its unrivaled base 180 attacking stats (the highest in the game), blistering base 150 Speed, and fantastic movepool, including the coveted ExtremeSpeed, Deoxys-A has everything it needs to tear gaping holes in the opposing team. Access to the coveted Stealth Rock and Spikes lets it serve as a suicide or attacking lead whose unparalleled offenses allow it to ward off every user of Rapid Spin and Magic Bounce in the game! Unfortunately, its poor typing and practically nonexistent defenses offer no defensive synergy to its team, and as even relatively weak neutral attacks will easily knock it out, it usually needs extensive team support to pull off a clean sweep. The fact that it is easily revenge killed by users of Choice Scarf and priority moves—even Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave—also makes it difficult for Deoxys-A to find a place on a team. Couple this with the fact Deoxys-A is walled by certain Pokemon depending on what move it forgoes, and you can see why its rarely seen in the Ubers tier. These faults aside, however, Deoxys-A is certainly a threat to prepare for.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Presenting Deoxys-A's bread and butter set, one of the tier's premier offensive anti-leads. This set can take on most leads in the current metagame and come out on top. If you thought Draco Meteor spam was impressive, think again: Deoxys-A's Psycho Boost is even more powerful, and does an immense amount of damage to anything that isn't outright immune to Psychic. For reference, Psycho Boost does 90.6% - 106.8% to Rayquaza! Ice Beam and Dark Pulse both improve Deoxys-A's coverage by allowing the DNA to hit Latios and Latias. The former provides Deoxys-A with a move to hit Rayquaza and Groudon outside of Psycho Boost, while the latter allows Deoxys-A to hit its Psychic brethren, namely Deoxys-S, Deoxys-N, and Cresselia, super effectively, all while providing a handy 20% flinch chance. Superpower is a move similar to Psycho Boost, albeit physically based, and hits Steel- and Dark-types that resist or are immune to Psycho Boost for super effective damage. This notably allows Deoxys-A to revenge kill non-Focus Sash Darkrai. Hidden Power Fire allows you to quickly OHKO Forretress and Ferrothorn. It should be noted that if Deoxys-A lacks Hidden Power Fire, then it will have great difficulty hurting Forretress, as it resists all other moves Deoxys-A can throw at it barring Superpower--which it easily absorbs thanks to its high Defense. However, without Superpower, Deoxys-A will find itself walled by Chansey. ExtremeSpeed is great for taking out weakened opponents such as Focus Sash Deoxys-S, and lands a decent hit on Choice Scarf users attempting to revenge kill Deoxys-A. It also provides midgame revenge killing utility should Deoxys-A survive that long, which happens surprisingly often. However, it can be replaced with a coverage move if your team doesn't have much trouble with revenge killers and doesn't mind Deoxys-S nabbing an extra layer of Spikes on you.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Max Speed and Special Attack with a Naive nature are used to make the most of Deoxys-A's amazing offensive stats, as its Defense is so poor that it will not survive any hits; in any case, it utilizes a Focus Sash. The remaining 4 EVs should go into Attack to boost Superpower and ExtremeSpeed. In particular, this Speed investment allows Deoxys-A to outspeed Modest Choice Scarf Kyogre and other neutral-natured base 90 Speed Choice Scarf users. A Rash nature, however, is also usable. An alternative spread of 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe with a Rash nature allows Deoxys-A to still outpace Mewtwo and other base 130 Speed Pokemon, taking into account Hidden Power Fire's imperfect Speed IV. Using max Speed in tandem with Hidden Power Fire with a Rash nature is not advised, as the point lost in Speed will prevent a speed tie with opposing Deoxys-A, the only common Pokemon with base 150 Speed, so dropping to 395 Speed (just above the base 130 Speed tier) and shifting the remaining EVs to Attack is the preferred choice. Deoxys-A also has the option of running Magic Coat, Fire Punch, Thunder, Grass Knot, or Ice Punch. Magic Coat allows Deoxys-A to reflect Spikes and Dark Void back at Deoxys-S and Darkrai respectively, if you can predict correctly. Fire Punch provides solid coverage while preserving perfect IVs, but it will be slightly weaker than Hidden Power Fire due to unequal offensive investment. Thunder is reliant on Rain, but it allows Deoxys-A to hit enemy Deoxys, Forretress, Kyogre, Lugia, and Ho-Oh hard. Grass Knot allows you to always OHKO defensive Groudon, without the Psycho Boost stat drops, but its inability to hit Steel-types burdens Deoxys-A. Lastly, Ice Punch can be used over Ice Beam, solely for enemy Latios and Latias.</p>

<p>As a dedicated lead, Deoxys-A does not require much support from the team. Should you forgo Magic Coat, a sleep absorber will be necessary, as Choice Scarf Darkrai will outspeed and incapacitate Deoxys-A with Dark Void before it can use Superpower. RestTalk + Calm Mind Kyogre is a great teammate in this regard, as it does not mind being put to sleep and can retaliate with Sleep Talk, either drowning Darkrai with Scald or setting up for an early sweep with Calm Mind. Beware of switching Kyogre into a Trick, however, as a Choice item will cripple it. If Deoxys-A lacks Hidden Power Fire, lead Scizor can also cause problems; fortunately, a defensive Kyogre is generally an apt switch in to most Scizor as well. Though not commonly seen as leads, Giratina-O and Extremekiller Arceus can take Deoxys-A out with consecutive Shadow Sneaks and ExtremeSpeeds respectively, but Psycho Boost will deal severe damage to them. Dialga can easily switch into a resisted Shadow Sneak and scare Giratina-O out, or OHKO it with STAB Dragon-type moves. While entry hazards may seem odd on an attacking lead, the immense offensive threat Deoxys-A presents can often force switches, which gives it an opportunity to get Stealth Rock or a layer of Spikes onto the field.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Deoxys-A's ability to force many switches and access to entry hazards, coupled with the ability to destroy all users of Rapid Spin and Magic Bounce, allows it to become a fantastic user of Stealth Rock and Spikes. The decision between Stealth Rock and Spikes is based on your team's needs. Stealth Rock takes only one turn to setup, and affects all types of Pokemon. Spikes, on the other hand, deals consistent damage to all non-Flying-type Pokemon. Psycho Boost hits extremely hard, and allows Deoxys-A to deal heavy damage to enemy leads. The third slot is reserved for Deoxys-A's coverage needs. Both moves allow Deoxys-A to hit Steel-types, but both have their notable attributes. Superpower allows Deoxys-A to dent Dialga and OHKO enemy Tyranitar, while Hidden Power Fire can bring Forretress down to Sturdy and OHKO enemy Ferrothorn. It should be noted that both Superpower and Hidden Power Fire can take up the last two slots if you wish to have insurance against Tyranitar, Dialga, Forretress, and Ferrothorn. The last slot is also based on the team's needs. Ice Beam allows Deoxys-A to OHKO Rayquaza and crush Groudon without resorting to Psycho Boost. ExtremeSpeed 2HKOes Deoxys-S, and limits the amount of hazards it can setup. Lastly, Dark Pulse provides solid coverage against enemy Psychic-types, notably Deoxys-D, who would otherwise have no problem setting up hazards against Deoxys-A.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As a suicide lead, Deoxys-A doesn't really need teammates to help it do its job, but there are many team mates that appreciate hazards on the field. Sweepers such as Dragon Dance Rayquaza and Extreme Killer Arceus enjoy having hazards on the opponent's side of the field, as it greatly helps them sweep the opposition. This coupled with Deoxys-A's ability to prevent hazards from going up on its side of the field (thanks to the fact its foes will try to knock it out to avoid getting mauled), allows Deoxys-A to even better help a Pokemon sweep. There are, however, a few team mates Deoxys-A needs. A spin blocker such as Giratina or Ghost Arceus is needed so that the hazards Deoxys-A setup will not be spun away. Additionally, Pokemon that can switch into priority moves, such as Shadow Sneak or ExtremeSpeed are welcome. Dialga, in particular, makes a great partner. It can easily switch into a Shadow Sneak from Giratina and threaten to OHKO back with Draco Meteor. Dialga also can threaten any users of Rapid Spin with Fire Blast and Draco Meteor and provide Stealth Rock support, which allows Deoxys-A to run Spikes.</p>

<p>Deoxys-A can run moves not listed on the set, but note that Deoxys-A will lose coverage. There is only one viable move not listed, and that is Thunder, which can be used in the fourth slot as a hybrid between Dark Pulse and Hidden Power Fire. Thunder is Deoxys-A's strongest move against Skarmory, and allows Deoxys-A to hit enemy Psychic and Steel-types neutrally, hitting Forretress a lot harder then Superpower. Thunder, however, is reliant on rain, and since this Deoxys-A is designed to lead, it may be impossible to make Thunder accurate.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>For a Pokemon that can't take a hit but has unparalleled power, what better item is there than Life Orb? Such an attacking set is one of Deoxys's best options, and its execution is simple: simply select the correct coverage move and decimate the opponent. Psycho Boost is the preferred move, as it provides a STAB and acts much like Latios's Draco Meteor in OU: spam it and things die. Ice Beam is useful for its great coverage over the tier, OHKOing Pokemon such as Groudon, Rayquaza, Shaymin-S, Garchomp, and Zekrom, without resorting to Psycho Boost, while also giving Deoxys-A the best chance to 2HKO Specially Defensive Giratina and hitting Latios and Latias hard. Dark Pulse, on the other hand, allows Deoxys-A to defeat all of its Psychic brethren, 2HKOing Deoxys-D and Cresselia, which are Pokemon that Deoxys-A otherwise struggles to defeat, while also hitting Latios hard and even OHKOing offensive Mewtwo. It also is Deoxys-A's only move aside Shadow Ball that can OHKO offensive Mewtwo. Superpower allows Deoxys-A to OHKO Chansey, Darkrai, and Blissey, while providing Deoxys-A with the ability to hit Steel-types super effectively. The final slot is a toss up; Hidden Power Fire provides coverage against Ferrothorn in situations where the Attack drop from Superpower is not welcome and OHKOes Forretress outside of Sturdy, but it only nabs the OHKO on both in neutral or sunny weather. If Ferrothorn and Forretress are not issues, ExtremeSpeed is a great option to take down weakened revenge killers.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since Deoxys-A is so versatile, its moveset can be molded to suit your team. Thunder, Grass Knot, Spikes, and Ice Punch are all good alternative moves that Deoxys-A can use. Thunder, although reliant on weather, allows Deoxys-A to hit enemy Steel and Psychic-types hard. It is also Deoxys-A's best move against Skarmory and Lugida in the rain, as it can OHKO both after Stealth Rock. Grass Knot hits Kyogre and Groudon hard without the need for Psycho Boost stat drops, but its lack of coverage outside of hitting the two often makes it a poor choice. Ice Punch may seem outclassed by Ice Beam at first glance, nbut it gives Deoxys-A the best chance at OHKOing Latios and Latios, who avoid the OHKO by Ice Beam, thanks to Soul Dew; it should be mentioned that you now hit Giratina-a O and Lugia a lot less harder though. Spikes may seem awkward on a set designed to destroy its enemies, but Deoxys-A's massive potential for destruction gives it time to setup multiple layers of Spikes. Do be careful if you use Spikes though, as predicting incorrectly will result in a dead Deoxys-A.</p>

<p>Deoxys-A has some alternative natures and spreads it can use aside from those listed. Maximum Speed along with a Naive nature enables Deoxys-A to outspeed everything up to +1 neutral-natured base 95 Speed Pokemon, such as Choice Scarf and Dragon Dance Rayquaza. A Rash or Mild nature is completely viable. An alternate spread of 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe and a Mild nature provides more more power at the cost of speed, allowing Deoxys-A to OHKO and 2HKO threats that it had trouble with earlier, such as Specially Defensive Giratina, as well as Multiscale-less Lugia, and Latias without the need for Stealth Rocks. Deoxys-A can also invest in its Attack stat, as its special attacks already have a lot of power. A set of 184 Atk / 88 SpA / 236 Spe is viable, as it provides a massive boost to Superpower and ExtremeSpeed, giving the former a chance to OHKO Support Dialga, Ferrothorn, and Chansey. It is recommended to use a Rash nature with this though, as a Rash Psycho Boost boosted by 88 Special Attack EVs is stronger then a Naive Psycho Boost boosted by 252 Special Attack EVs.</p>

<p>There are a few partners that Deoxys-A always enjoys having on its side. Since it is susceptible to revenge killing, Wobbufett is a good partner to get rid of Choice Scarf users; it can also Encore harmless moves to give Deoxys-A a safe switch-in. Steel-types can cause trouble for Deoxys-A, especially in rain, as several of them are hit neutrally by Superpower, so Magnezone is another good partner, trapping these Pokemon and potentially setting up on them with Substitute and Charge Beam or OHKOing them with Thunder. Deoxys-A's frailty greatly hurts its ability to get in safely, so partners that can get Deoxys-A safely with U-turn or Volt Switch--namely Genesect, Scizor, Forretress, and Zekrom-- are welcome. Deoxys-A has the tendency to cause a lot of switches in a match and wants as much residual damage on the team as possible so that it can have the best chance to sweep. This means Deoxys-A appreciates having a partner that can use entry hazards such as Stealth Rock and Spikes. Forretress can do this job well too. It can setup multiple hazards and allow Deoxys-A to switch back in easily thanks to its slow Volt Switch and Explosion.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A few Choice items might come to mind when looking at Deoxys-A's stats. After all, base 180 in each offensive stat is nothing to scoff at. However, there are some huge issues with Choice Deoxys-A. The inability to change moves means Deoxys-A will have to switch often, particularly since Psycho Boost and Superpower both lower Deoxys-A's stats and cannot hit Dark- and Ghost-types respectively. Also, thanks to its abysmal defenses, Deoxys-A can pretty much only switch in after a teammate has fainted. Furthermore, Life Orb-boosted attacks already hit so hard that Pokemon which are not 2HKOed are few and far between. Choice Specs is incredibly strong though, capable of OHKOing even 252 HP Arceus. A Choice Scarf is also unnecessary, as base 150 Speed is already amazing, and to outspeed revenge killers by such large a margin is rather pointless when Deoxys-A could just switch out.</p>

<p>As for move choices, thanks to its stellar offensive stats, Deoxys-A can make use of just about any decently powerful move in its arsenal; your other teammates should determine which moves it runs. However, there are a few moves that stand out. Psyshock is the first, as it can 2HKO Chansey without the need for Superpower's stat drops. Low Kick is another option which hits many heavy Uber Pokemon for a good amount of damage, while once more avoiding Superpower's negative effects. The combination of the two work well together, "persuading" Chansey not to switch in. Deoxys-A's ability to force many switches can be used to
  1. set up
free Subtitutes, which not only lengthen Deoxys-A's longevity but also eases prediction, as Deoxys-A no longer has to worry about using the wrong move and allowing a check to switch in. Pursuit also takes advantage of Deoxys-A's ability to force switches, killing or greatly weakening any Pokemon that dares switch out against Deoxys-A. Shadow Ball is an alternative to Dark Pulse if you fear that you may accidentally hit a Terrakion with the move and allow it to nab a boost in Attack, but its inability to hit Normal types may allow Extremekiller Arceus to switch-in freely and proceed to kill it with ExtremeSpeed. Icy Wind and Low Sweep allow Deoxys-A to alleviate its issues with fast Choice Scarf Pokemon, but it should be noted that these moves are extremely weak. Signal Beam allows Deoxys-A to hit Darkrai and Mewtwo super effectively with one move, but it is quite weak and Bug-type moves provide terrible coverage on the rest of the tier. Taunt allows Deoxys-A to prevent a Pokemon from healing itself, but it should be noted that the turn Deoxys-A uses this move could have been dedicated to hitting the opponent.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>There are no true counters to Deoxys-A since its expansive movepool means it might be carrying a move that hits said switch-in super effectively. There is, however, one thing that can be considered close to a counter, and that is Specially Defensive Arceus Psychic. Specially Defensive Arceus Psychic can easily switch into any move Deoxys-A has and proceed to outspeed and kill it the turn after with ExtremeSpeed. Deoxys-A also has many checks, some of which are listed above. To reiterate, anything faster than it or packing priority can reliably eliminate Deoxys-A. Most Choice Scarf users, such as Genesect, Palkia, Dialga, Jirachi, and Terrakion, are bulky enough to take an ExtremeSpeed and KO back with just about any move; however, it must be noted that neutral-natured +1 base 90 Speed Pokemon will not outspeed max Speed Deoxys-A. Deoxys-A is also greatly annoyed by Chlorophyll, Sand Rush, and Swift Swim users in sun, rain, and sand, respectively, as they can outspeed and KO Deoxys-A with a STAB move. Giratina, Arceus, Beartic, and Scizor can annoy Deoxys-A with priority moves such as Shadow Sneak, ExtremeSpeed, Bullet Punch, and Aqua Jet, forcing Deoxys-A to switch out unless it wishes to be KOed. There are some walls that, should Deoxys-A too lack a certain move for them, can create problems for it. Latios and Latias can both comfortably take any hit barring Life Orb Ice Punch and KO back with Dragon Pulse. Specially Defensive Latias makes an even better check, as it is capable of stomaching two Life Orb boosted Dark Pulses and can proceed to Recover the damage off, setup Light Screen to take hits with more ease, or just KO Deoxys-A with Dragon Pulse. Specially Defensive Giratina-a also avoids being 2HKOed by any move bar Life Orb Ice Beam and can proceed to KO Deoxys-A back with Dragon Tail. If Deoxys-A lacks Thunder and Stealth Rock is not setup, Defensive Ho-Oh can cause problems, as it can tank hits comfortably with its massive Special Defense. Lugia is another specially defensive wall that can survive most of Deoxys-A's moves and easily KO back. Bulky Steel-types such as Scizor, Metagross, Forretress, Jirachi, and Bronzong will cause problems to Deoxys-A lacking a Fire-type move, and can OHKO back with a STAB move. Scizor and Metagross, in particular, boast STAB Bullet Punch to knock Deoxys-A out before it moves. Wobbufett, Cresselia, and Deoxys-D can easily switch into Deoxys-A lacking Dark Pulse. They can then OHKO Deoxys-A with Mirror Coat and Ice Beam, respectively, or proceed to cripple Deoxys-A it with status. While rare, ExtremeSpeed Deoxys-S KOes its attacking brethren unless a Substitute is in the way.</p>[/QUOTE]

Amateur check

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
I have implemented everything in the above check except I did not delete Beartic in checks and counters.

Thanks for the amateur check CB terrakion.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>The epitome of offense, Deoxys-A is a true powerhouse in every sense of the word. Between its unrivaled base 180 attacking stats (the highest in the game), blistering base 150 Speed, and fantastic movepool, including the coveted ExtremeSpeed, Deoxys-A has everything it needs to tear gaping holes in the opposing team. Access to the coveted Stealth Rock and Spikes lets it serve as a suicide or attacking lead with whose unparalleled offenses, able allow it to ward off every user of Rapid Spin and Magic Bounce in the game! Unfortunately, its poor typing and practically nonexistent defenses offer no defensive synergy to its team, and as even relatively weak neutral attacks will easily knock it out, it usually needs extensive team support to pull off a clean sweep. The fact that it is easily revenge killed by users of Choice Scarf and priority moves—even Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave—also make it difficult for Deoxys-A to find a place on a team. Couple this with the fact Deoxys-A is walled by certain Pokemon depending on what move it forgoes and you can see why its rarely seen in the Ubers tier. These faults aside, however, Deoxys-A is certainly a threat to prepare for.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Presenting Deoxys-A's bread and butter set, one of the tier's premier offensive anti-leads. This set can take on most leads in the current metagame and come out on top. If you thought Draco Meteor spam was impressive, think again: Deoxys-A's Psycho Boost is even more powerful, and does an immense amount of damage to anything that isn't outright immune to Psychic. For reference, Psycho Boost does 90.6% - 106.8% to Rayquaza! Ice Beam and Dark Pulse both improve Deoxys-A's coverage by allowing the DNA to hit Latios and Latias. The former also provides Deoxys-A with a move to hit Rayquaza and Groudon outside of Psycho Boost while the latter allows Deoxys-A to hit its Psychic brethren, namely Deoxys-S, Deoxys-N, and Cresselia, super effectively, all while providing a handy 20% flinch chance. Superpower is a move similar to Psycho Boost, albeit physically based, and hits Steel- and Dark-types that resist or are immune to Psycho Boost for super effective damage. This notably allows Deoxys-A to revenge kill non-Focus Sash Darkrai. Hidden Power Fire allows you to quickly OHKO Forretress and Ferrothorn. It should be noted that if Deoxys-A lacks Hidden Power Fire, then it will have great difficulty hurting Forretress, as it resists all other moves Deoxys-A can throw at it barring Superpower&mdash;which it easily absorbs thanks to its high Defense. However, without Superpower, Deoxys-A will find itself walled by Chansey. ExtremeSpeed is great for taking out weakened opponents such as Focus Sash Deoxys-S, and lands a decent hit on Choice Scarf users attempting to revenge kill Deoxys-A. It also provides midgame revenge killing utility should Deoxys-A survive that long, which happens surprisingly often. However, it can be replaced with a coverage move if your team doesn't have much trouble with revenge killers and doesn't mind Deoxys-S nabbing an extra layer of Spikes on you.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Max Speed and Special Attack with a Naive nature are used to make the most of Deoxys-A's amazing offensive stats, as its Defense is so poor that it will not survive any hits; in any case, it utilizes a Focus Sash. The remaining 4 EVs should go into Attack to boost Superpower and ExtremeSpeed. In particular, this Speed investment allows Deoxys-A to outspeed Modest Choice Scarf Kyogre and other neutral-natured base 90 Speed Choice Scarf users. A Rash nature, however, is also usable. An alternative spread of 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe with a Rash nature allows Deoxys-A to still outpace Mewtwo and other base 130 Speed Pokemon, taking into account Hidden Power Fire's imperfect Speed IV. Using max Speed in tandem with Hidden Power Fire with a Rash nature is not advised, as the point lost in Speed will prevent a speed tie with opposing Deoxys-A, the only common Pokemon with base 150 Speed, so dropping to 395 Speed (just above the base 130 Speed tier) and shifting the remaining EVs to Attack is the preferred choice. Deoxys-A also has the option of running Magic Coat, Fire Punch, Thunder, Grass Knot, or Ice Punch. Magic Coat allows Deoxys-A to reflect Spikes and Dark Void back at Deoxys-S and Darkrai respectively, if you can predict correctly. Fire Punch provides solid coverage while preserving perfect IVs, but it will be slightly weaker than Hidden Power Fire due to unequal offensive investment. Thunder is reliant on Rain, but it allows Deoxys-A to hit enemy Deoxys, Forretress, Kyogre, Lugia, and Ho-Oh hard. Grass Knot allows you to always OHKO defensive Groudon without the Psycho Boost stat drops, but its inability to hit Steel-types burdens Deoxys-A. Lastly, Ice Punch can be used over Ice Beam solely for enemy Latios and Latias.</p>

<p>As a dedicated lead, Deoxys-A does not require much support from the team. Should you forgo Magic Coat, a sleep absorber will be necessary, as Choice Scarf Darkrai will outspeed and incapacitate Deoxys-A with Dark Void before it can use Superpower. RestTalk + Calm Mind Kyogre is a great teammate in this regard, as it does not mind being put to sleep and can retaliate with Sleep Talk, either drowning Darkrai with Scald or setting up for an early sweep with Calm Mind. Beware of switching Kyogre into a Trick, however, as a Choice item will cripple it. If Deoxys-A lacks Hidden Power Fire, lead Scizor can also cause problems; fortunately, a defensive Kyogre is generally an apt switch in to most Scizor as well. Though not commonly seen as leads, Giratina-O and Extreme Killer Arceus can take Deoxys-A out with consecutive Shadow Sneaks and ExtremeSpeeds respectively, but Psycho Boost will deal severe damage to them. Dialga can easily switch into a resisted Shadow Sneak and scare Giratina-O out, (RC) or OHKO it with STAB Dragon-type moves. While entry hazards may seem odd on an attacking lead, the immense offensive threat Deoxys-A presents can often force switches, which gives it an opportunity to get Stealth Rock or a layer of Spikes onto the field.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Deoxys-A's ability to force many switches and access to entry hazards, coupled with the ability to destroy all users of Rapid Spin and Magic Bounce, allows it to become a fantastic user of Stealth Rock and Spikes. The decision between Stealth Rock and Spikes is based on your team's needs. Stealth Rock takes only one turn to set up, (RC) and affects all types of Pokemon. Spikes, on the other hand, deals consistent damage to all non-Flying-type Pokemon. Psycho Boost hits extremely hard, and allows Deoxys-A to deal heavy damage to enemy leads. The third slot is reserved for Deoxys-A's coverage needs. Both moves allow Deoxys-A to hit Steel-types, but both have their notable attributes. Superpower allows Deoxys-A to dent Dialga and OHKO enemy Tyranitar, while Hidden Power Fire can bring Forretress down to Sturdy and OHKO enemy Ferrothorn. It should be noted that both Superpower and Hidden Power Fire can take up the last two slots if you wish to have insurance against Tyranitar, Dialga, Forretress, and Ferrothorn. The last slot is also based on the team's needs. Ice Beam allows Deoxys-A to OHKO Rayquaza and crush Groudon without resorting to Psycho Boost. ExtremeSpeed 2HKOes Deoxys-S, (RC) and limits the amount of hazards it can set up. Lastly, Dark Pulse provides solid coverage against enemy Psychic-types, notably Deoxys-D, who which would otherwise have no problem setting up hazards against Deoxys-A.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As a suicide lead, Deoxys-A doesn't really need teammates to help it do its job, but there are many teammates that appreciate hazards on the field. Sweepers such as Dragon Dance Rayquaza and Extreme Killer Arceus enjoy having hazards on the opponent's side of the field, as it greatly helps them sweep the opposition. This coupled with Deoxys-A's ability to prevent hazards from going up on its side of the field (thanks to the fact its foes will try to knock it out to avoid getting mauled), (RC) allows Deoxys-A to even better help a Pokemon sweep. There are, however, a few teammates Deoxys-A needs. A spin blocker such as Giratina or Ghost Arceus is needed so that the hazards Deoxys-A sets up will not be spun away. Additionally, Pokemon that can switch into priority moves, such as Shadow Sneak or ExtremeSpeed, (AC) are welcome. Dialga, in particular, makes a great partner. It can easily switch into a Shadow Sneak from Giratina and threaten to OHKO back with Draco Meteor. Dialga also can threaten any users of Rapid Spin with Fire Blast and Draco Meteor and provide Stealth Rock support, which allows Deoxys-A to run Spikes.</p>

<p>Deoxys-A can run moves not listed on the set, but note that Deoxys-A will lose coverage. There is only one viable move not listed, and that is Thunder, which can be used in the fourth slot as a hybrid between Dark Pulse and Hidden Power Fire. Thunder is Deoxys-A's strongest move against Skarmory, (RC) and allows Deoxys-A to hit enemy Psychic and Steel-types neutrally, hitting Forretress a lot harder then Superpower. Thunder, however, is reliant on rain, and since because this Deoxys-A is designed to lead, it may be impossible to make Thunder accurate.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>For a Pokemon that can't take a hit but has unparalleled power, what better item is there than Life Orb? Such an attacking set is one of Deoxys-A's best options, and its execution is simple: simply select the correct coverage move and decimate the opponent. Psycho Boost is the preferred move, as it provides a STAB and acts much like Latios's Draco Meteor in OU: spam it and things die. Ice Beam is useful for its great coverage over the tier, OHKOing Pokemon such as Groudon, Rayquaza, Shaymin-S, Garchomp, and Zekrom, (RC) without resorting to Psycho Boost, while also giving Deoxys-A the best chance to 2HKO specially defensive Giratina and hitting Latios and Latias hard. Dark Pulse, on the other hand, allows Deoxys-A to defeat all of its Psychic brethren, 2HKOing Deoxys-D and Cresselia, which are Pokemon that Deoxys-A otherwise struggles to defeat, while also hitting Latios hard and even OHKOing offensive Mewtwo. It also is Deoxys-A's only move aside Shadow Ball that can OHKO offensive Mewtwo. Superpower allows Deoxys-A to OHKO Chansey, Darkrai, and Blissey, (RC) while providing Deoxys-A with the ability to hit Steel-types super effectively. The final slot is a toss-up; Hidden Power Fire provides coverage against Ferrothorn in situations where the Attack drop from Superpower is not welcome and OHKOes Forretress outside of Sturdy, but it only nabs the OHKO on both in neutral or sunny weather. If Ferrothorn and Forretress are not issues, ExtremeSpeed is a great option to take down weakened revenge killers.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since Because Deoxys-A is so versatile, its moveset can be molded to suit your team. Thunder, Grass Knot, Spikes, and Ice Punch are all good alternative moves that Deoxys-A can use. Thunder, although reliant on weather, allows Deoxys-A to hit enemy Steel- and Psychic-types hard. It is also Deoxys-A's best move against Skarmory and Lugia in the rain, as it can OHKO both after Stealth Rock. Grass Knot hits Kyogre and Groudon hard without the need for Psycho Boost stat drops, but its lack of coverage outside of hitting the two often makes it a poor choice. Ice Punch may seem outclassed by Ice Beam at first glance, but it gives Deoxys-A the best chance at OHKOing Latios and Latios, who avoid the OHKO by Ice Beam, (RC) thanks to Soul Dew; it should be mentioned that you now hit Giratina and Lugia a lot less harder though. Spikes may seem awkward on a set designed to destroy its enemies, but Deoxys-A's massive potential for destruction gives it time to set up multiple layers of Spikes. Do be careful if you use Spikes though, as predicting incorrectly will result in a dead Deoxys-A.</p>

<p>Deoxys-A has some alternative natures and spreads it can use aside from those listed. Maximum Speed along with a Naive nature enables Deoxys-A to outspeed everything up to +1 neutral-natured base 95 Speed Pokemon, such as Choice Scarf and Dragon Dance Rayquaza. A Rash or Mild nature is completely viable. An alternate spread of 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe and a Mild nature provides more more power at the cost of speed, allowing Deoxys-A to OHKO and 2HKO threats that it had trouble with earlier, such as specially defensive Giratina, as well as Multiscale-less Lugia, and Latias without the need for Stealth Rocks. Deoxys-A can also invest in its Attack stat, as its special attacks already have a lot of power. A set of 184 Atk / 88 SpA / 236 Spe is viable, as it provides a massive boost to Superpower and ExtremeSpeed, giving the former a chance to OHKO Support Dialga, Ferrothorn, and Chansey. It is recommended to use a Rash nature with this though, as a Rash Psycho Boost boosted by 88 Special Attack EVs is stronger then a Naive Psycho Boost boosted by 252 Special Attack EVs.</p>

<p>There are a few partners that Deoxys-A always enjoys having on its side. Since As it is susceptible to revenge killing, Wobbufett is a good partner to get rid of Choice Scarf users; it can also Encore harmless moves to give Deoxys-A a safe switch-in. Steel-types can cause trouble for Deoxys-A, especially in rain, as several of them are hit neutrally by Superpower, so Magnezone is another good partner, trapping these Pokemon and potentially setting up on them with Substitute and Charge Beam or OHKOing them with Thunder. Deoxys-A's frailty greatly hurts its ability to get in safely, so partners that can get Deoxys-A safely with U-turn or Volt Switch&mdash;namely Genesect, Scizor, Forretress, and Zekrom&mdash;are welcome. Deoxys-A has the tendency to cause a lot of switches in a match and wants as much residual damage on the team as possible so that it can have the best chance to sweep. This means Deoxys-A appreciates having a partner that can use entry hazards such as Stealth Rock and Spikes Is ferrothorn or another pokemon meant to be here? A pokemon should be mentioned for this and the next sentence to make any sense. Forretress can do this job well too. It can set up multiple hazards and allow Deoxys-A to switch back in easily thanks to its slow Volt Switch and Explosion.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A few Choice items might come to mind when looking at Deoxys-A's stats. After all, base 180 in each offensive stat is nothing to scoff at. However, there are some huge issues with Choice Deoxys-A. The inability to change moves means Deoxys-A will have to switch often, particularly since as Psycho Boost and Superpower both lower Deoxys-A's stats and cannot hit Dark- and Ghost-types respectively. Also, thanks to its abysmal defenses, Deoxys-A can pretty much only switch in after a teammate has fainted. Furthermore, Life Orb-boosted attacks already hit so hard that Pokemon which are not 2HKOed are few and far between. Choice Specs is incredibly strong though, capable of OHKOing even 252 HP Arceus. A Choice Scarf is also unnecessary, as base 150 Speed is already amazing, and to outspeed revenge killers by such large a margin is rather pointless when Deoxys-A could just switch out.</p>

<p>As for move choices, thanks to its stellar offensive stats, Deoxys-A can make use of just about any decently powerful move in its arsenal; your other teammates should determine which moves it runs. However, there are a few moves that stand out. Psyshock is the first, as it can 2HKO Chansey without the need for Superpower's stat drops. Low Kick is another option which hits many heavy Uber Pokemon for a good amount of damage, while once more avoiding Superpower's negative effects. The combination of the two work well together, "persuading" Chansey not to switch in. Deoxys-A's ability to force many switches can be used to set up free Substitutes, which not only lengthen Deoxys-A's longevity but also eases prediction, as Deoxys-A no longer has to worry about using the wrong move and allowing a check to switch in. Pursuit also takes advantage of Deoxys-A's ability to force switches, killing or greatly weakening any Pokemon that dares switch out against Deoxys-A. Shadow Ball is an alternative to Dark Pulse if you fear that you may accidentally hit a Terrakion with the move and allow it to nab a boost in Attack, but its inability to hit Normal-types may might allow Extreme Killer Arceus to switch in freely and proceed to kill it with ExtremeSpeed. Icy Wind and Low Sweep allow Deoxys-A to alleviate its issues with fast Choice Scarf Pokemon, but it should be noted that these moves are extremely weak. Signal Beam allows Deoxys-A to hit Darkrai and Mewtwo super effectively with one move, but it is quite weak and Bug-type moves provide terrible coverage on the rest of the tier. Taunt allows Deoxys-A to prevent a Pokemon from healing itself, but it should be noted that the turn Deoxys-A uses this move could have been dedicated to hitting the opponent.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>There are no true counters to Deoxys-A since as its expansive movepool means it might be carrying a move that hits said switch-in super effectively. There is, however, one thing that can be considered close to a counter, and that is specially defensive Arceus-Psychic. Specially defensive Arceus-Psychic can easily switch into any move Deoxys-A has and proceed to outspeed and kill it the turn after with ExtremeSpeed. Deoxys-A also has many checks, some of which are listed above. To reiterate, anything faster than it or packing priority can reliably eliminate Deoxys-A. Most Choice Scarf users, such as Genesect, Palkia, Dialga, Jirachi, and Terrakion, are bulky enough to take an ExtremeSpeed and KO back with just about any move; however, it must be noted that neutral-natured +1 base 90 Speed Pokemon will not outspeed max Speed Deoxys-A. Deoxys-A is also greatly annoyed by Chlorophyll, Sand Rush, and Swift Swim users in their sun, rain, and sand, respectively weathers, as they can outspeed and KO Deoxys-A with a STAB move. Giratina, Arceus, Beartic, and Scizor can annoy Deoxys-A with priority moves such as Shadow Sneak, ExtremeSpeed, Bullet Punch, and Aqua Jet, forcing Deoxys-A to switch out unless it wishes to be KOed. There are some walls that, should Deoxys-A lack a certain move for them, can create problems for it. Latios and Latias can both comfortably take any hit barring Life Orb-boosted Ice Punch and KO back with Dragon Pulse. Specially defensive Latias makes an even better check, as it is capable of stomaching two Life Orb-boosted Dark Pulses and can proceed to Recover the damage off, set up Light Screen to take hits with more ease, or just KO Deoxys-A with Dragon Pulse. Specially defensive Giratina also avoids being 2HKOed by any move bar Life Orb-boosted Ice Beam and can proceed to KO Deoxys-A back with Dragon Tail. If Deoxys-A lacks Thunder and Stealth Rock is not up, defensive Ho-Oh can cause problems, as it can tank hits comfortably with its massive Special Defense. Lugia is another specially defensive wall that can survive most of Deoxys-A's moves and easily KO back. Bulky Steel-types such as Scizor, Metagross, Forretress, Jirachi, and Bronzong will cause problems to Deoxys-A lacking a Fire-type move, (RC) and can OHKO back with a STAB move. Scizor and Metagross, in particular, boast STAB Bullet Punch to knock Deoxys-A out before it moves. Wobbufett, Cresselia, and Deoxys-D can easily switch into Deoxys-A lacking Dark Pulse. They can then OHKO Deoxys-A with Mirror Coat and Ice Beam, respectively, or proceed to cripple it with status. While rare, ExtremeSpeed Deoxys-S KOes its attacking brethren unless a Substitute is in the way.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
I implemented all of Gatodelfuego's check, thank you for it Gatodelfuego!

This means Deoxys-A appreciates having a partner that can use entry hazards such as Stealth Rock and Spikes Is ferrothorn or another pokemon meant to be here? A pokemon should be mentioned for this and the next sentence to make any sense. Forretress can do this job well too. It can set up multiple hazards and allow Deoxys-A to switch back in easily thanks to its slow Volt Switch and Explosion.</p>
I went ahead and put Ferrothorn where that comment was.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
add
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>The epitome of offense, Deoxys-A is a true powerhouse in every sense of the word. Between its unrivaled base 180 attacking stats (the highest in the game), blistering base 150 Speed, and fantastic movepool, including the coveted ExtremeSpeed, Deoxys-A has everything it needs to tear gaping holes in the opposing team. Stealth Rock and Spikes let it serve as a suicide or attacking lead with unparalleled offenses, being able to ward off every user of Rapid Spin and Magic Bounce in the game! Unfortunately, its poor typing and practically nonexistent defenses offer no defensive synergy to its team, and since even relatively weak neutral attacks will easily knock it out, it usually needs extensive team support to pull off a clean sweep. The fact that it is easily revenge killed by users of Choice Scarf and priority moves—even Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave—also make it difficult for Deoxys-A to find a place on a team. Couple this with the fact Deoxys-A is walled by certain Pokemon depending on what move it forgoes and you can see why it's rarely seen in the Ubers tier. These faults aside, however, Deoxys-A is certainly a threat to prepare for.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Presenting Deoxys-A's bread and butter set, one of the tier's premier offensive anti-leads. This set can take on most leads in the current metagame and come out on top. If you thought Draco Meteor spam was impressive, think again: Deoxys-A's Psycho Boost is even more powerful, and does an immense amount of damage to anything that isn't outright immune to Psychic. For reference, Psycho Boost does 90.6% - 106.8% to Rayquaza! Ice Beam and Dark Pulse both improve Deoxys-A's coverage by allowing the DNA it to hit Latios and Latias. The former also provides Deoxys-A with a move to hit Rayquaza and Groudon outside of Psycho Boost while the latter allows Deoxys-A to hit its Psychic brethren, namely Deoxys-S, Deoxys, and Cresselia, super effectively, all the while providing a handy 20% flinch chance. Superpower is a move similar to Psycho Boost, albeit physically based, and hits Steel- and Dark-types that resist or are immune to Psycho Boost for super effective damage. This notably allows Deoxys-A to revenge kill non-Focus Sash Darkrai. Hidden Power Fire allows Deoxys-A to quickly OHKO Forretress and Ferrothorn. It should be noted that if Deoxys-A lacks Hidden Power Fire, then it will have great difficulty hurting Forretress, as it resists all other moves Deoxys-A can throw at it barring Superpower&mdash;which it easily absorbs thanks to its high Defense. However, without Superpower, Deoxys-A will find itself walled by Chansey. ExtremeSpeed is great for taking out weakened opponents such as Focus Sash Deoxys-S, and lands a decent hit on Choice Scarf users attempting to revenge kill Deoxys-A. It also provides mid-game revenge killing utility should Deoxys-A survive that long, which happens surprisingly often. However, it can be replaced with a coverage move if your team doesn't have much trouble with revenge killers and doesn't mind Deoxys-S nabbing an extra layer of Spikes on you.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Max Speed and Special Attack with a Naive nature are used to make the most of Deoxys-A's amazing offensive stats, as its Defense is so poor that it will not survive any hits; in any case, it utilizes a Focus Sash. The remaining 4 EVs should go into Attack to boost Superpower and ExtremeSpeed. In particular, this Speed investment allows Deoxys-A to outspeed Modest Choice Scarf Kyogre and other neutral-natured base 90 Speed Choice Scarf users. A Rash nature, however, is also usable. An alternative spread of 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe with a Rash nature allows Deoxys-A to still outpace Mewtwo and other base 130 Speed Pokemon, taking into account Hidden Power Fire's imperfect Speed IV. Using max Speed in tandem with Hidden Power Fire with a Rash nature is not advised, as the point lost in Speed will prevent a Speed tie with opposing Deoxys-A, the only common Pokemon with base 150 Speed, so dropping to 395 Speed (just above the base 130 Speed tier) and shifting the remaining EVs to Attack is the preferred choice. Deoxys-A also has the option of running Magic Coat, Fire Punch, Thunder, Grass Knot, or Ice Punch. Magic Coat allows Deoxys-A to reflect Spikes and Dark Void back at Deoxys-S and Darkrai respectively, if you can predict correctly. Fire Punch provides solid coverage while preserving perfect IVs, but it will be slightly weaker than Hidden Power Fire due to unequal offensive investment. Thunder is reliant on rain, but it allows Deoxys-A to hit enemy Deoxys, Forretress, Kyogre, Lugia, and Ho-Oh hard. Grass Knot allows Deoxys-A to always OHKO defensive Groudon without the Psycho Boost stat drops, but its inability to hit Steel-types burdens Deoxys-A. Lastly, Ice Punch can be used over Ice Beam solely for enemy Latios and Latias.</p>

<p>As a dedicated lead, Deoxys-A does not require much support from the team. Should you forgo Magic Coat, a sleep absorber will be necessary, as Choice Scarf Darkrai will outspeed and incapacitate Deoxys-A with Dark Void before it can use Superpower. RestTalk + Calm Mind Kyogre is a great teammate in this regard as it does not mind being put to sleep and can retaliate with Sleep Talk, either drowning Darkrai with Scald or setting up for an early sweep with Calm Mind. Beware of switching Kyogre into a Trick, however, as a Choice item will cripple it. If Deoxys-A lacks Hidden Power Fire, lead Scizor can also cause problems; fortunately, a defensive Kyogre is generally an apt switch-in to most Scizor as well. Though not commonly seen as leads, Giratina-O and Extreme Killer Arceus can take Deoxys-A out with consecutive Shadow Sneaks and ExtremeSpeeds respectively, but Psycho Boost will deal severe damage to them. Dialga can easily switch into a resisted Shadow Sneak and scare Giratina-O out or OHKO with STAB Dragon-type moves. While entry hazards may seem odd on an attacking lead, the immense offensive threat Deoxys-A presents can often force switches, which gives it an opportunity to get Stealth Rock or a layer of Spikes onto the field.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Deoxys-A's ability to force many switches and access to entry hazards, coupled with the ability to destroy all users of Rapid Spin and Magic Bounce, allows it to become a fantastic user of Stealth Rock and Spikes. The decision between Stealth Rock and Spikes is based on your team's needs. Stealth Rock takes only one turn to setup, and affects all types of Pokemon. Spikes, on the other hand, deals consistent damage to all non-Flying-type Pokemon. Psycho Boost hits extremely hard, and allows Deoxys-A to deal heavy damage to enemy leads. The third slot is reserved for Deoxys-A's coverage needs. Both moves allow Deoxys-A to hit Steel-types, but both have their notable attributes. Superpower allows Deoxys-A to dent Dialga and OHKO enemy Tyranitar, while Hidden Power Fire can bring Forretress down to Sturdy and OHKO enemy Ferrothorn. It should be noted that both Superpower and Hidden Power Fire can take up the last two slots if you wish to have insurance against Tyranitar, Dialga, Forretress, and Ferrothorn. The last slot is also based on the team's needs. Ice Beam allows Deoxys-A to OHKO Rayquaza and crush Groudon without resorting to Psycho Boost. ExtremeSpeed 2HKOes Deoxys-S, and limits the amount of hazards it can setup. Lastly, Dark Pulse provides solid coverage against enemy Psychic-types, notably Deoxys-D, who would otherwise have no problem setting up hazards against Deoxys-A.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As a suicide lead, Deoxys-A doesn't really need teammates to help it do its job, but there are many teammates that appreciate hazards on the field. Sweepers such as Dragon Dance Rayquaza and Extreme Killer Arceus enjoy having hazards on the opponent's side of the field, as it greatly helps them sweep the opposition. This coupled with Deoxys-A's ability to prevent hazards from going up on its side of the field (thanks to the fact its foes will try to knock it out to avoid getting mauled), allows Deoxys-A to even better help a Pokemon sweep. There are, however, a few teammates Deoxys-A needs. A spinblocker such as Giratina or Ghost Arceus is needed so that the hazards Deoxys-A sets up will not be spun away. Additionally, Pokemon that can switch into priority moves, such as Shadow Sneak or ExtremeSpeed, are welcome. Dialga, in particular, makes a great partner. It can easily switch into a Shadow Sneak from Giratina and threaten to OHKO back with Draco Meteor. Dialga can also threaten any users of Rapid Spin with Fire Blast and Draco Meteor and provide Stealth Rock support, which allows Deoxys-A to run Spikes.</p>

<p>Deoxys-A can run moves not listed on the set, but note that Deoxys-A will lose coverage. There is only one viable move not listed, and that is Thunder, which can be used in the fourth slot as a hybrid between Dark Pulse and Hidden Power Fire. Thunder is Deoxys-A's strongest move against Skarmory, and allows Deoxys-A to hit enemy Psychic- and Steel-types neutrally, hitting Forretress a lot harder then Superpower. Thunder, however, is reliant on rain, and since this Deoxys-A is designed to lead, it may be impossible to make Thunder accurate.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>For a Pokemon that can't take a hit but has unparalleled power, what better item is there than Life Orb? Such an attacking set is one of Deoxys-A's best options, and its execution is simple: simply select the correct coverage move and decimate the opponent. Psycho Boost is the preferred move, as it provides STAB and acts much like Latios's Draco Meteor in OU: spam it and things die. Ice Beam is useful for its great coverage over the tier, OHKOing Pokemon such as Groudon, Rayquaza, Shaymin-S, Garchomp, and Zekrom without resorting to Psycho Boost, while also giving Deoxys-A the best chance to 2HKO specially defensive Giratina and hitting Latios and Latias hard. Dark Pulse, on the other hand, allows Deoxys-A to defeat all of its Psychic brethren, 2HKOing Deoxys-D and Cresselia, Pokemon that Deoxys-A otherwise struggles to defeat, while also hitting Latios hard and even OHKOing offensive Mewtwo. It is also Deoxys-A's only move aside from Shadow Ball that can OHKO offensive Mewtwo. Superpower allows Deoxys-A to OHKO Chansey, Darkrai, and Blissey while providing Deoxys-A with the ability to hit Steel-types super effectively. The final slot is a toss-up; Hidden Power Fire provides coverage against Ferrothorn in situations where the Attack drop from Superpower is not welcome and OHKOes Forretress outside of Sturdy, but it only nabs the OHKO on both in neutral or sunny weather. If Ferrothorn and Forretress are not issues, ExtremeSpeed is a great option to take down weakened revenge killers.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Because Deoxys-A is so versatile, its moveset can be molded to suit your team. Thunder, Grass Knot, Spikes, and Ice Punch are all good alternative moves that Deoxys-A can use. Thunder, although reliant on weather, allows Deoxys-A to hit enemy Steel- and Psychic-types hard. It is also Deoxys-A's best move against Skarmory and Lugia in the rain, as it can OHKO both after Stealth Rock. Grass Knot hits Kyogre and Groudon hard without the need for Psycho Boost stat drops, but its lack of coverage outside of hitting the two often makes it a poor choice. Ice Punch may seem outclassed by Ice Beam at first glance, but it gives Deoxys-A the best chance at OHKOing Latios and Latios, who avoid the OHKO from Ice Beam thanks to Soul Dew; it should be mentioned that you now hit it also hits Giratina and Lugia a lot less harder though. Spikes may seem awkward on a set designed to destroy its enemies, but Deoxys-A's massive potential for destruction gives it time to set up multiple layers of Spikes. Do be careful if you use Spikes though, as predicting incorrectly will result in a dead Deoxys-A.</p>

<p>Deoxys-A has some alternative natures and spreads it can use aside from those listed. Maximum Speed along with a Naive nature enables Deoxys-A to outspeed everything up to +1 neutral-natured base 95 Speed Pokemon, such as Choice Scarf and Dragon Dance Rayquaza. A Rash or Mild nature is completely viable. An alternate spread of 24 Atk / 252 SpA / 232 Spe and a Mild nature provides more more power at the cost of speed, allowing Deoxys-A to OHKO and 2HKO threats that it had trouble with earlier, such as specially defensive Giratina, as well as Multiscale-less Lugia, and Latias without the need for Stealth Rock. Deoxys-A can also invest in its Attack stat, as its special attacks already have a lot of power. A set of 184 Atk / 88 SpA / 236 Spe is viable, as it provides a massive boost to Superpower and ExtremeSpeed, giving the former a chance to OHKO support Dialga, Ferrothorn, and Chansey. It is recommended to use a Rash nature with this though, as a Rash Psycho Boost boosted by 88 Special Attack EVs is stronger then a Naive Psycho Boost boosted by 252 Special Attack EVs.</p>

<p>There are a few partners that Deoxys-A always enjoys having on its side. As it is susceptible to revenge killing, Wobbuffet is a good partner to get rid of Choice Scarf users; it can also Encore harmless moves to give Deoxys-A a safe switch-in. Steel-types can cause trouble for Deoxys-A, especially in rain, as several of them are hit neutrally by Superpower, so Magnezone is another good partner, trapping these Pokemon and potentially setting up on them with Substitute and Charge Beam or OHKOing them with Thunder. Deoxys-A's frailty greatly hurts its ability to get in safely, so partners that can get Deoxys-A safely in with U-turn or Volt Switch&mdash;namely Genesect, Scizor, Forretress, and Zekrom&mdash;are welcome. Deoxys-A has the tendency to cause a lot of switches in a match and wants as much residual damage on the team as possible so that it can have the best chance to sweep. This means Deoxys-A appreciates having a partner that can use entry hazards such as Ferrothorn. Forretress can do this job well too. It can setup multiple hazards and allow Deoxys-A to switch back in easily thanks to its slow Volt Switch and Explosion.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A few Choice items might come to mind when looking at Deoxys-A's stats. After all, base 180 in each offensive stat is nothing to scoff at. However, there are some huge issues with Choice Deoxys-A. The inability to change moves means Deoxys-A will have to switch often, particularly as Psycho Boost and Superpower both lower Deoxys-A's stats and cannot hit Dark- and Ghost-types respectively. Also, thanks to its abysmal defenses, Deoxys-A can pretty much only switch in after a teammate has fainted. Furthermore, Life Orb-boosted attacks already hit so hard that Pokemon which are not 2HKOed are few and far between. Choice Specs is incredibly strong though, capable of OHKOing even 252 HP Arceus. A Choice Scarf is also unnecessary, as base 150 Speed is already amazing, and to outspeed revenge killers by such large a margin is rather pointless when Deoxys-A could just switch out.</p>

<p>As for move choices, thanks to its stellar offensive stats, Deoxys-A can make use of just about any decently powerful move in its arsenal; your other teammates should determine which moves it runs. However, there are a few moves that stand out. Psyshock is the first, as it can 2HKO Chansey without the need for Superpower's stat drops. Low Kick is another option which hits many heavy Uber Pokemon for a good amount of damage, while once more avoiding Superpower's negative effects. The combination of the two work well together, "persuading" Chansey not to switch in. Deoxys-A's ability to force many switches can be used to set up free Substitutes, which not only lengthen Deoxys-A's longevity but also ease prediction, as Deoxys-A no longer has to worry about using the wrong move and allowing a check to switch in. Pursuit also takes advantage of Deoxys-A's ability to force switches, killing or greatly weakening any Pokemon that dares switch out against Deoxys-A. Shadow Ball is an alternative to Dark Pulse if you fear that you may accidentally hit a Terrakion with the move and allow it to nab a boost in Attack, but its inability to hit Normal-types might allow Extreme Killer Arceus to switch in freely and proceed to kill Deoxys-A with ExtremeSpeed. Icy Wind and Low Sweep allow Deoxys-A to alleviate its issues with fast Choice Scarf Pokemon, but it should be noted that these moves are extremely weak. Signal Beam allows Deoxys-A to hit Darkrai and Mewtwo super effectively with one move, but it is quite weak and Bug-type moves provide terrible coverage on the rest of the tier. Taunt allows Deoxys-A to prevent a Pokemon from healing itself, but it should be noted that the turn Deoxys-A uses this move could have been dedicated to hitting the opponent.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>There are no true counters to Deoxys-A as its expansive movepool means it might be carrying a move that hits said switch-in super effectively. There is, however, one thing that can be considered close to a counter, and that is specially defensive Psychic Arceus. Specially defensive Psychic Arceus can easily switch into any move Deoxys-A has and proceed to outspeed and kill it the turn after with ExtremeSpeed. Deoxys-A also has many checks, some of which are listed above. To reiterate, anything faster than it or packing priority can reliably eliminate Deoxys-A. Most Choice Scarf users, such as Genesect, Palkia, Dialga, Jirachi, and Terrakion, are bulky enough to take an ExtremeSpeed and KO back with just about any move; however, it must be noted that neutral-natured +1 base 90 Speed Pokemon will not outspeed max Speed Deoxys-A. Deoxys-A is also greatly annoyed by Chlorophyll, Sand Rush, and Swift Swim users in their respective weathers, as they can outspeed and KO Deoxys-A with a STAB move. Giratina, Arceus, Beartic, and Scizor can annoy Deoxys-A with Shadow Sneak, ExtremeSpeed, Bullet Punch, and Aqua Jet, forcing Deoxys-A to switch out unless it wishes to be KOed. There are some walls that, should Deoxys-A lack a certain move for them, can create problems for it. Latios and Latias can both comfortably take any hit barring Life Orb-boosted Ice Punch and KO back with Dragon Pulse. Specially defensive Latias makes an even better check, as it is capable of stomaching two Life Orb-boosted Dark Pulses and can proceed to Recover the damage off, set up Light Screen to take hits with more ease, or just KO Deoxys-A with Dragon Pulse. Specially defensive Giratina also avoids being 2HKOed by any move bar Life Orb-boosted Ice Beam and can proceed to KO Deoxys-A back with Dragon Tail. If Deoxys-A lacks Thunder and Stealth Rock is not up, defensive Ho-Oh can cause problems, as it can tank hits comfortably with its massive Special Defense. Lugia is another specially defensive wall that can survive most of Deoxys-A's moves and easily KO back. Bulky Steel-types such as Scizor, Metagross, Forretress, Jirachi, and Bronzong will cause problems for Deoxys-A lacking a Fire-type move and can OHKO back with a STAB move. Scizor and Metagross in particular boast STAB Bullet Punch to knock Deoxys-A out before it moves. Wobbuffet, Cresselia, and Deoxys-D can easily switch into Deoxys-A lacking Dark Pulse. They can then OHKO Deoxys-A with Mirror Coat and Ice Beam, respectively, or proceed to cripple it with status. While rare, ExtremeSpeed Deoxys-S KOes its attacking brethren unless a Substitute is in the way.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

polop

is a Contributor Alumnus
I implemented everything in the above check.

Thank you for the check Oglemi!

This thing is now done and ready to be uploaded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)