Diablo III

Just following Thund's post.
I think you misunderstood. The point of my post was to show how much more variety people have in their builds in D3 compared to D2.

Some runes changes skills enough that they could be considered completely new spells (like one of Ray of Frosts runes).

D2 didnt have this variety. You had to plan everything before you made your character, and one fuck up and you had to start the character all over again.

The item situation was even worse. Runewords completely broke the game. It was pathetic.

Not hating on D2. It consumed more of my childgood than anything else, but it has many flaws. Problem is were comparing it to a game in 2012 when its been out for 10+ years.

In regards to the skill tree and items, i say D3 definately improved for the better.

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
At Act1 Hell for me, stupid server issues yesterday (EU) didnt track my diablo nightmare kill so ill have to redo that, probably going to solo it since WD is so good tbh, regain half your mana nearly on spirit walk is really good, life gain on soul harvest also, acid cloud is really good, and firebomb with the multi bounce rune is great as well. I think I made the right choice for myself when it comes to classchoice at least.

<pics>

So ya, d3 ain't got shit on d2 in the item department.. and then taking into consideration how items in d2 can you good non-class skills.

2 different games. D3 is good but like I said before it wont even touch D2 in terms of PvP.

A) All the items you linked are 1.10 or later runewords that didn't exist in classic or even for the majority of the life cycle of the game that anyone who wasn't 5 years late to the party gave half a fuck about.

B) D2 pvp was arse, the whole hack and slash genre is just shit for pvp.

As disappointing as Diablo 3 has been IMO, none of your logic makes any fucking sense.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Witch Doctor is easily my favorite class. Every Necromancer fan was a bit skeptical at first, but the Witch Doctor's flavor is so much better. Almost everything he does is some sort of animal, and it constantly annoys my friends that everything I do looks like an enemy. Grasp of the Dead is amazing CC especially when you have 3 ranged classes, Zombie Dogs and Gargantuan are superb replacements for Skeletons and Golems, and of course the single best spell in the game I've found is Queen Spider.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
How many summons do Witch Doctors have? Necromancer had two types of skeletons, four types of golems and then of course Revive. It sounds to me like instead of multiple types of the same couple monsters, you get a larger variety of different stuff and ultimately it's about the same mechanically. "Spider" or "Zombie" is more fun and flavorful than "Golem A" or "Golem B" though, sure. Running around as a god of the undead controlling your skeleton horde is pretty cool too though.

D2 didnt have this variety. You had to plan everything before you made your character, and one fuck up and you had to start the character all over again.

The item situation was even worse. Runewords completely broke the game. It was pathetic.
I don't think this is a shortcoming of the game so much as just a good idea that nobody had thought up yet, like regenerating health in first-person shooters and stuff. It's part of what makes D2 feel "hella dated," although I think the lol800x600 max resolution is the biggest offender and that's not the game's fault at all. :P That said, they did finally patch in a re-spec option not too long ago.

Runewords are functionally identical to Unique items, except instead of finding the completed item you build it from nearly as rare bits and pieces. Had the mechanic never existed, they could've just as easily made a Unique armor item named Enigma (BotD, HotO, etc.) and given it the exact same properties and stats as the runeword does. The imbalance is solely in the item design.

Runewords are functionally identical to Unique items, except instead of finding the completed item you build it from nearly as rare bits and pieces. Had the mechanic never existed, they could've just as easily made a Unique armor item named Enigma (BotD, HotO, etc.) and given it the exact same properties and stats as the runeword does. The imbalance is solely in the item design.
And with that they failed. It would've been just as much of a disaster had it been a unique item. These items that give skills such as Teleport and Whirlwind universally pretty much broke the game. I'd say more so Teleport than anything else, because of the utility it has in PvP and PvE, but if I had a kickass barb I loved and saw everyone going around Whirlwinding everything, I'd be pretty pissed off.

I'm probably just biased because the Sorceress is my favorite and I had been playing since before the expansion, when nobody else could Teleport besides the Sorceress and she had the title of "best MFer" before Enigma whoring Hammerdins came onto the scene.

actually there were also rings and amulets that had teleport charges

just sayin
Yeah, but you couldn't have infinite Teleport like Engima gives. You could always repair them, but that would end up costing so much gold you'd be better off running.

while d2 had a great number of items, dont forget it also had a number of patches and an expansion.

meanwhile in d3, i started play my barbarian in inferno. early on in hell i found i had trouble soloing so i switched my dps build (4700 dps unbuffed) to a more tanky build (currently like 1200 dps). now ive been partying with people and tanking the shit out of everything. but god, with so much hp the mobs have it takes forever to kill them (god forbid they have some stupid shit like shielding or minion invulnerbility)
This is my problem with the game. You can't have variety in skills if you are forced by artificial difficulty to pick skills you don't want to use just to play the game.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
i dont see it as a problem at all, before that point i was playing however i wanted. its just at the point gear becomes an issue. get the gear you need then play however you want.

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
you can play in a style how you want, theres more then enough diversity
lvl 54 WD, currently in Hell Act 1, I love using the templar for solo play, although some mob packs are just silly. Thank god I have an Oh shit passive for when I do get stuck or w/e. I dont want to think about inferno difficulty even before I hit 60 and have a good gearset to get through that one :P

They (most likely) aren't so you really shouldn't need to worry. Probably just a bunch of people not wanting to take responsibility for getting hacked or something, usually how it goes. From Bashiok:

We've been taking the situation extremely seriously from the start, and have done everything possible to verify how and in what circumstances these compromises are occurring. Despite the claims and theories being made, we have yet to find any situations in which a person's account was not compromised through traditional means of someone else logging into their account through the use of their password. While the authenticator isn't a 100% guarantee of account security, we have yet to investigate a compromise report in which an authenticator was attached beforehand.

If your account has been hacked, please view the previous post for information on contacting our support department.

It was Wayyyy too many at once and at the same time. It seems the attack was very orchestrated
It seems to me like it's the most logical way to go about it. Build up a list of accounts and passwords, and then hit them in a rapid succession before word can spread and people can change their passwords, add an authenticator, etc.

i dont see it as a problem at all, before that point i was playing however i wanted. its just at the point gear becomes an issue. get the gear you need then play however you want.
I don't think it's possible to out gear some of the random rares and champions you come across.

Was just about to remind people that authenticators exist for a reason but noticed it was already in the quoted post.

If anyone plans on spending a decent bit of time with D3 I really suggest it for the same reason I would have in World of Warcraft: there's just too much incentive for malicious parties to try to hack into accounts when there's real-world value on items through selling to other players not to do anything to cover your ass. Would wager part of why Blizzard is running the black market themselves this time is to make that sort of thing a little less effective -- easy enough to cancel payments and they have better info on where money is going, and prices should be much lower than they would be under the traditional system of gold farmer company BS because of the dramatically increased competition from players entering the marketplace as vendors -- but still a really good idea to protect yourself.

They were pretty persistent about this in WoW -- I actually got hacked once over a year after I quit somehow where the hackers apparently cared enough to reactivate my account for me. Sadly for them I had a real life friend online and reattached my authenticator in about 70 seconds and locked them out. Pity I didn't feel like playing, would have possibly been the first time in internet history someone gained money on a hacking attempt.

So what about that secret cow level actually being a Brony fetishist's dreamland?

I'm disgusted as much as the next guy.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's brilliant because it lampoons early complaints about there being rainbows in the game.

I mean besides you are killing the unicorns.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I've heard that a lot of people have been getting there accounts hacked lately. I've been told that most of the time it happens when you're using the auction house (I don't use this, so I haven't had any problems so far).

I like the Diablo 3 story so far, but I don't like that you have to be online to play the game (even in 1 player mode). I feel like with all these new games you're forced to stay connected to a server just to play the game (even ALONE!!!). Is it just me who feels this way, or is anyone else not a fan of this??

re: the dude who mentioned something about fucking up once then having to restart in diablo 2: nope ! they fixed that. you get 3 free respecs (for doing den i think, i forget) then after that you have to get some items and cube em. just a minor thing i wanted to correct.

personally, haven't even bothered with d3, simply because i don't have 60 bucks + the amount of time i want to sink into it. what i'm concerned with is how they'll treat d2 now that (i imagine) most of the playerbase has moved on. i would be so happy if they essentially eliminated ladder seasons, making the items drop regularly, so i wouldn't have to make new stupid characters every time i scratch the d2 itch again (usually at the least a few months apart, mostly after a new season starts)

here's to hoping d3 goes on sale, maybe around christmas.

I like the Diablo 3 story so far, but I don't like that you have to be online to play the game (even in 1 player mode). I feel like with all these new games you're forced to stay connected to a server just to play the game (even ALONE!!!). Is it just me who feels this way, or is anyone else not a fan of this??
this is pretty much why i didn't buy it. such a dumb thing to do. :/

re: the dude who mentioned something about fucking up once then having to restart in diablo 2: nope ! they fixed that. you get 3 free respecs (for doing den i think, i forget) then after that you have to get some items and cube em. just a minor thing i wanted to correct.
And how many years did it take to implement that? Iirc it was a patch from a few years ago. For a game that came out in 2000.

this is pretty much why i didn't buy it. such a dumb thing to do. :/
Letting people play offline in a game with a Real money auction house(RMAH) opens the game up to so much item duping/glitches it is not even funny. Is it unfortunate the RMAH is interfering with people who may never use it? sure is but i can see why they do it.

Letting people play offline in a game with a Real money auction house(RMAH) opens the game up to so much item duping/glitches it is not even funny. Is it unfortunate the RMAH is interfering with people who may never use it? sure is but i can see why they do it.
For that, I would say simply to not allow people who play offline single/multi to use the RMAH. I would gladly skip it and would have bought the game if I didn't have to connect online to play single player...I mean they didn't even get approval in some countries in Asia (one of the major markets) until they axed the RMAH there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)