Pokémon Diggersby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, belly drum. I've yet to find any confirmation on it.
I still wouldn't use it. Being weak to Mach Punch and Aqua Jet, while still taking shitload of damage from strong Bullet Punches like Lucario or Scizor makes this set much worse than Azumarill one and it's not because of STAB difference (although water is better than normal of course), but because of that massive priority weakness. While in comparison Azumarill takes resisted hits from both Aqua Jet and Mach Punch. While I admit additional Speed over Azumarill is cool, you'll rely on priority anyway most of time.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Diggersby is really cool. Choice Band Diggersby outdamages the manly Mega Kangaskhan, which with Parental Bond more or less has a Choice Band equipped in terms of damage. Mediocre Speed sucks, but it has a lot of potential to serve as a really dangerous wallbreaker with its phenomenal attacking power. Even cooler, with Sticky Web support, Diggersby can just spam its high-powered attacks with little fear of being outsped except by Flying-types and priority users (which it can also outspeed with its own priority Quick Attack in most instances). Its bulk isn't awful either; it can take a hit from Talonflame then destroy it in return. It even has Spikes, so it can run an offensive support set that focuses on scaring out opponents in order to create free turns to set up on the opponent. Really, I'm hoping Diggersby doesn't make the OU cutoff because I'd love to use it in a UU environment, which will likely have less Speed and priority, opening up a lot more potential for Diggersby to steamroll opponents.

What is the reason for diggersby being delegated to UU?
Lacks speed and the defensive typing isn't so good.
However, this isn't a bad thing by any means, because not only you are still free to use Diggersby in OU, but also in UU you can use it in an enviroment without his biggest counters.

Lacks speed and the defensive typing isn't so good.
However, this isn't a bad thing by any means, because not only you are still free to use Diggersby in OU, but also in UU you can use it in an enviroment without his biggest counters.
Isn't the lack of speed supposed to be compensated by his priority? Its basically a Normal ground version of azumarill with a different moveset imo.
I'll admit though that normal/ground isn't the best defensive typing in the world.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Isn't the lack of speed supposed to be compensated by his priority? Its basically a Normal ground version of azumarill with a different moveset imo.
I'll admit though that normal/ground isn't the best defensive typing in the world.
Slightly...Unlike Azumarill's Aqua Jet though, Quick Attack's not going to damage a lot of threats for SE since Quick Attack is only hitting neutral on something at best, let alone not-very effective. So technically Azumarill's Aqua Jet will get it further in the long run because things like Blaziken for instance, are relevant in this meta. A STAB Huge Power Quick Attack isn't going to say much to even a healthy frail target unless you're either banded or sitting at +2 from SD

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Blaziken is banned, and checking him used to be one of Azumarill's biggest selling points. Having a strong Aqua Jet won't mean much in the long run when the Pokemon it's attached to has abysmal speed and can't outrun many walls, if any.

Last edited:

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I know Molk has been using CB Diggersby lately, though I don't think it's a totally serious team, and I gave it a go earlier. I was actually really underwhelmed with its performance based on watching Molk's matches and my own because it just... I mean, it hits hard, but everyone has at least one of, if not both of, a Flying-type and a Ghost-type. Aegislash (#1), Talonflame (#2), Gengar (#4, immune to dual STAB if not mega), Rotom-W (#5). Obviously all of these except non-Mega Gengar don't really want to switch into the STAB they aren't immune to, but if you throw out a bulky pivot to scout and then switch into an immune Pokemon, it can be easy to take advantage of bunny. :( It's just really easy to prepare for Choiced Diggersby right now without even meaning to, which is a huge bummer because I adore it. I'm thinking Sticky Web support with Life Orb Diggersby is probably about the only way to go with him in OU right now.

Its low Speed is a huuuge hindrance. On top of that, as a Normal-type physical attacker, Mega Kangaskhan just really really outshines it with similar power, much better Speed, strong priority, and Parental Bond to break Sturdy + Sashes from unsuspecting foes. Plus, Mega Kangaskhan has superior bulk and can passively get a +2 boost while also dealing damage. Meanwhile, Diggersby has to SD in order to boost and can give up a free turn in the process. Diggersby does have U-turn over it, but when Mega Kangaskhan can just sweep so many teams, why bother with scouting?

Reactions: DTC
Azumarill is still a big threat, especially with its improved defensive and offensive typing. Diggersby is pretty much Azumarill with a worse type, better Speed, and some different move options. Which makes it a lot more like Gen 5 Azumarill, since if it makes OU now, it'll be because of its fantastic type, which Diggersby lacks. Even without Blaziken, I'm sure the unique typing will serve Azumarill well, while Diggersby doesn't have quite that defensive or offensive advantage.

How effective is an offensive Spikes set? It does not seem to be too amazing; after all, Diggersby lacks the bulk and Speed to set up fast Spikes, and a lot of times, it would rather be attacking with its amazing power. Does Spikes Diggersby have a niche that other Spikers do not have? Spikes on an offensive Pokemon is not a new concept, but Diggersby lacks what say Scolipede or Deoxys-A has.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
I think Spikes Diggersby is usable. The cool thing about it is that it -does- force a lot of switches (which hampers the viability of Choice Band sets quite a bit because you're forced to predict a lot), so you can set up Spikes on those forced switches rather than trying to guess whether they're going to their Rotom-W or Aegislash. I agree that it doesn't seem too amazing for pretty much all the reasons you listed, but I don't see it being totally unviable. The only other problem I can see with Spikes Diggersby is being forced to choose three of Return, Earthquake, U-turn, and Quick Attack. Ideally, you'd have them all, but obviously that's not possible. I'd think running priority on other teammates so that you can squeeze in U-turn would be preferable; gathering offensive momentum is just too good to pass up and is one of Diggersby's main niches over Azumarill/Medicham.

Reactions: DTC

Okuu

Blame [me] for Global Warming!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
How effective is an offensive Spikes set? It does not seem to be too amazing; after all, Diggersby lacks the bulk and Speed to set up fast Spikes, and a lot of times, it would rather be attacking with its amazing power. Does Spikes Diggersby have a niche that other Spikers do not have? Spikes on an offensive Pokemon is not a new concept, but Diggersby lacks what say Scolipede or Deoxys-A has.
Surprise / Intimidation factor might count for something. Diggersby switches in against something, perhaps soaks up some damage. Opposition switches into a check/counter as you throw out Spikes, then U-turn away to your own check/counter on the following turn. Opponent would've never seen it coming. Diggersby has an edge in that it's a pretty frightening Pokemon with Pure Power + STAB Return and Earthquake. But, it's also complicated by the fact that not that many people know that, and would laugh at the concept until their team gets one-shotted by neutral attacks.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I can see Diggersby being a Hit-and-Run Spiker with Spikes and U-Turn, possibly with preferred Sticky Web support somewhere in the mix; Sticky Web in general is good for any Diggersby, but it may actually enjoy having a fast U-Turn to escape with since its typing gives it some decent synergy with other Pokemon, but at the same time leaves it vulnerable to a number of faster threats. Probably something like:

Diggersby @ Leftovers
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 232 Spe / 24 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack/Stone Edge/Return
- U-Turn
- Spikes

With these EVs, you're able to outpace a -1 Greninja, probably the fastest Grounded threat which you're capable of OHKOing with Earthquake and an Adamant nature. The ideal behind these EVs is mainly that you have Sticky Web up or at least have a reliable setter of it through the match, so that most Grounded Pokemon get hit as hard as possible. Stone Edge is optimal for having better coverage alongside Earthquake, but Return lets you get both your STABs at full power at the cost of some useful priority.

You could also use a spread of 110 HP / 252 Atk / 146 Spe Jolly to invest more in bulk, but your power level will be ramped down a bit, and you'll just barely fall short of OHKOing Greninja from full HP if you don't run Return.

That's probably the best I can come up with for a Spikes set, it'd be a good user of it on Bulky Offense while still hitting pretty hard, at least.

I think that Diggersby's scarf set is pretty good. Scarf isn't viable on Azumarill, the most comparable poke, because it's speed is horrendous. Diggersby has a much higher speed stat than Azumarill so it outspeeds a good amount of the unboosted metagame even with an adamant nature. Diggersby's scarf set is reminiscent of Scarftran in terms of speed, but it also gets U-turn which is a plus.

I'm having success with this unusual set:

Diggersby @ Silk Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 20 Spe / 234 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Sword Dance

I can see Diggersby being a Hit-and-Run Spiker with Spikes and U-Turn, possibly with preferred Sticky Web support somewhere in the mix; Sticky Web in general is good for any Diggersby, but it may actually enjoy having a fast U-Turn to escape with since its typing gives it some decent synergy with other Pokemon, but at the same time leaves it vulnerable to a number of faster threats. Probably something like:

Diggersby @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 232 Spe / 24 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack/Stone Edge/Return
- U-Turn
- Spikes

With these EVs, you're able to outpace a -1 Greninja, probably the fastest Grounded threat which you're capable of OHKOing with Earthquake and an Adamant nature. The ideal behind these EVs is mainly that you have Sticky Web up or at least have a reliable setter of it through the match, so that most Grounded Pokemon get hit as hard as possible. Stone Edge is optimal for having better coverage alongside Earthquake, but Return lets you get both your STABs at full power at the cost of some useful priority.

You could also use a spread of 110 HP / 252 Atk / 146 Spe Jolly to invest more in bulk, but your power level will be ramped down a bit, and you'll just barely fall short of OHKOing Greninja from full HP if you don't run Return.

That's probably the best I can come up with for a Spikes set, it'd be a good user of it on Bulky Offense while still hitting pretty hard, at least.
^^^works on showdown. fun to test/use

I will say the same thing that I said on my video analysis for Diggesby... Diggesby with the combination of Decent stats (Semi-Fast with good bulk),Ability (Huge Power),Movepool (SD,Agility,Return,EQ,U turn,Stone edge,Quick attack etc.) and decent typing (being one of the best,why not the best counter to Aegislash) it can easily be a top tier threat (UU,OU).. :) I might be wrong but it looks like to be better that Azumarill because of more speed and offensive capabilities but I have to admit when it comes to bulk it's worse...Again my opinion :)

Diggersby is not a counter to Aegis. It's nice that it's faster, is immune to Shadow Sneak, and doesn't care about King's Shield, but you have to be absolute sure that a Ghost move is coming your way in order to switch Diggersby in. Last 2 times I switched Diggersby into Aegis, I ate a Sacred Sword. It's prediction dependant, and it has the potential to come in and wreck Aegislash, but it's not a safe counter.

I will say the same thing that I said on my video analysis for Diggesby... Diggesby with the combination of Decent stats (Semi-Fast with good bulk),Ability (Huge Power),Movepool (SD,Agility,Return,EQ,U turn,Stone edge,Quick attack etc.) and decent typing (being one of the best,why not the best counter to Aegislash) it can easily be a top tier threat (UU,OU).. :) I might be wrong but it looks like to be better that Azumarill because of more speed and offensive capabilities but I have to admit when it comes to bulk it's worse...Again my opinion :)
I don't think Diggersby likes to take Sacred Sword from Aegislash in the face, so he's a check at best. And against good opponent shaky at best. If you look for Aegislash counter, there are better picks for this. And I don't think Diggersby have good bulk at all. 85/77/77 are decent numbers, but far from being bulky (and he lacks many resistances to make those numbers usable, although he has two cool immunities), especially if you don't invest into it. Also your typing gives you some nasty weaknesses (Fighting, Water, Grass, Ice) which are all pretty common, which also doesn't help him at all.

Last edited:
Diggersby cleanly counters Tyranitar (As he's slower, has less defense than Sp.Def, and gets x2 by STABquake) Maybe on par with Aegishslash (reason 1 and 2)
Kills Breloom easily if he has Return. Not sure about other moves.
Definitely outspeeds mega Ampharos dunno how much its defence will help though.

Diggersby can't switch in on the Aeg or Bre really, but he'll win the fight with the first two if they switch in.

Last edited:
switch it out on a Tyranitar, set up(as tyranitar will likely switch) and Kill everything lol.
The good part of it's move pool is the ground part, lol. It can kill Aegislash but Aegislash can kill it to.
Azumarill also seems like it could mess up Diggersby to.
Honestly tho, I want to run both.
Diggersby wishs he had more defence tho. His speed is alright I guess. Diggersby seems like it doesn't do that good against alot of types ethier
His attack beats Azumarill.
#DiggersbyTho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)