DLC2 Crown Tundra Speculation Thread [SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy, can't believe I'm doing this....

:zamazenta:The "Unban Zamazenta" post:zamazenta:

I know the council discussed unbanning certain other potential Ubers (although I don't know which ones they discussed), just wanna talk about why I personally think this should have been on the list of mons starting in OU. Zamazenta's awesome stats might make it seem pretty daunting (pun intended), but it has always had shortcomings such as lack of really good boosting moves, the middling mono-fighting STAB, and generally being relatively predictable. I also think that that the meta is shaping up to be able to handle it well enough, and if it's ever going to be tested in OU, now is as good a time as ever. I'm going to outline my arguments point by point, and after each section there will be a wall of calcs sort of summing up the individual matchups discussed in that section. Just so we're clear, I'm not convinced that Zamazenta would even be balanced in OU in the long haul, but I mean, I am similarly unconvinced about most of the other mons voted on to start in OU, so I think Zamazenta is worth a try.

• OU already necessitates a strong Fighting-type check anyways
There are a lot of pivots with Regenerator in OU, and specifically a lot that resist Fighting. Toxapex, Amoonguss, Slowbro, and now Tornadus-T (and perhaps Slowking-Galar) are all capable of pivoting in on a predicted Fighting attack. Now none of those can safely be called Urshifu answers, but all of them are definitely capable of pivoting in on an attack from Zamazenta, to scout its choiced sets. None of these are mons that are bad in OU, and in fact, I expect them to be even more necessary post-DLC. Toxapex is still one of the better pivots in the meta, but with Pheromosa and Blaziken returning, as well as Cinderace, its' niche as a physically defensive pivot will be even more called upon. Slowbro is basically a hard counter to Blaziken, and it just so happens to be a great stop to Zamazenta too. Amoonguss will be a great option to pivot into Tapu Koko, but can switch in on Zamazenta to sponge a blow if needed. You see what I'm getting at here, all of these already-viable Pokemon will be used anyways, and would be great means of pivoting in on Zamazenta, resulting in it needing a lot of prediction to adequately make use of. There is also the mandatory phys def Clefable, something already used as a mandatory Urshifu answer, that basically would force Zamazenta to click Iron Head a lot to potentially 2HKO it if it sees Clefable on the opposing team, which can be a liability.
:toxapex:
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 158-186 (51.9 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 78-93 (25.6 - 30.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Toxapex effectively sponges any of Zamazenta's moves except Psychic Fangs or Wild Charge, which generally 2HKO. These moves both have immunities and are pretty weak otherwise, so pivoting out to something else and regenerating most of the health you lost is easy enough. Meanwhile, Zamazenta loses HP from Wild Charge, and potentially Rocky Helmet chip too.
:slowbro:
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 200-236 (50.7 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Slowbro is a similar story to Toxapex. Pivots in easily on CC, can be 2HKO'd by coverage but it can easily pivot out and regenerate most of the health it loses from that.
:tornadus-therian:
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 176-207 (48.6 - 57.1%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 352-416 (97.2 - 114.9%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
All of Zamazenta's coverage do about the same or less than CC, with the exception of Wild Charge which usually OHKOs and Ice Fang which never does.
:amoonguss:
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Amoonguss: 195-231 (45.1 - 53.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Amoonguss: 282-334 (65.2 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
I think we'll see more specially defensive Amoonguss to switch in on Tapu Koko easier, but even a specially defensive Amoonguss can pivot in on Zamazenta once if it needs to. Physically defensive obviously does much better, only really fearing Psychic Fangs, which I think could be a difficult move to slot.
:clefable:
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 129-152 (32.7 - 38.5%) -- 4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Clefable has a similar matchup to Zamazenta that it does to Urshifu, it forces the banded Iron Head. Bear in mind that if you're running WishPort, you can use Protect to scout the move, unlike with Urshifu.
:aegislash:
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 110-130 (33.9 - 40.1%) -- 35.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 196-232 (60.4 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Aegislash is another really great check. It takes Wild Charge nicely enough, and is only really threatened by Crunch which is otherwise a pretty sodden move to run. Even a more offensive Aegislash can pivot in and suck the momentum away from the Zamazenta user.
:hippowdon:
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 189-223 (45 - 53%) -- 31.6% chance to 2HKO
This matchup is identical to Band Urshifu's matchup versus Hippowdon. It can 2HKO, but not consistently and it takes chip damage while doing so. Unlike Urshifu, I don't think Zamazenta can really afford to run an Adamant nature, since you only tie with Naganadel and Tornadus-Therian if you do (outspeeding Tapu Koko is very important).

• Many new threats in the DLC can check it
This list includes Buzzwole, Landorus-T, and Zapdos, among others. Zapdos especially, cannot be 2HKO'd by any move from the CB set, and all of Zamazenta's moves are contact, so it runs the risk of getting Static'd. Pressure Zapdos is similar, and burns through Close Combat PP very quickly. Tapu Fini pivots in on Zamazenta, and although it gets worn down over time, it can take enough CCs to pivot in a few times. Notably, fully phys def Fini isn't even guaranteed to be 4HKO'd by any attack from the CB set if it does not run Wild Charge. Unlike Urshifu, Zamazenta does not get Poison Jab, meaning that Tapu Fini and I guess Bulu can pivot in on it a bit safer. Buzzwole is, of course, a very good stop to Zamazenta, not even being 2HKO'd by banded Psychic Fangs, and already looks to be a very viable mon in OU due to being an amazing stop to Urshifu, as well as physical variants of Pheromosa. Landorus-T is a really hard check to Zamazenta that only really fears Ice Fang, which again forces its hand. And of course, we cannot forget that Unaware Clefable with Soft-Boiled will be legal too and will definitely be used to constrain Zygarde, for instance, but it definitely has use against Zamazenta as well, especially due to the Howl set. Based on typing alone, Zapdos-Galar, Articuno-Galar, Slowbro-Galar and Calyrex all seem like they can check Zamazenta to some extent too, but since we don't know much about these mons yet, I'm going to reserve my judgement on them for now, since I think my points stand fine without taking them into account.
:buzzwole:
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Buzzwole: 84-99 (20 - 23.6%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Buzzwole: 158-188 (37.7 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Zamazenta cannot overcome Buzzwole. It simply cannot happen. Zamazenta does not have Toxic or Aerial Ace, so Howl sets attempting to break through or some janky Work Up Moonblast set is all it can do. I'll cover the matchup with the Howl set later on in this.
:tapu fini:
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 96-114 (27.9 - 33.2%) -- 88.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 192-228 (55.9 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Great option to pivot in, especially if you have something else to dissuade Wild Charge. Moonblast does 2HKO back, by the way.
:tapu bulu:
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Bulu: 172-204 (50 - 59.3%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
If you're running physically defensive Bulu for some reason (it's probably a good Zygarde and Lando-T check) it can pivot in if it needs to, just watch out for Iron Head.
:dragonite:
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 76-90 (19.6 - 23.3%) -- possible 5HKO
If Dragonite running any sort of bulk catches on, it'll be something you need Ice Fang for as well. Dragonite with Roost seems potent due to HDB.
:zapdos:
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 170-202 (44.2 - 52.6%) -- 18.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zapdos: 117-138 (30.4 - 35.9%) -- 48.1% chance to 3HKO
Zapdos can be really punishing for Zamazenta. It's only really threatened by Ice Fang, and Static can absolutely ruin Zamazenta's great speed. I mentioned Pressure being able to stall out of CC PP easy too, even though more people will probably run Static anyways.
:garchomp:
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Garchomp: 220-259 (52.3 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Just for reference TankChomp is 2HKO'd by CC or Ice Fang, so its not really a good answer, but the chip damage can really add up, when you account for Wild Charge chip damage too.
:landorus-therian:
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 220-260 (57.5 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-Therian: 75-89 (19.6 - 23.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
Zamazenta absolutely NEEDS Ice Fang in order to make any sort of headway against this mon at all. Additionally, I think Landorus-T might be running Toxic or Knock Off a lot, both of which can really limit Zamazenta.

• The Howl set seems consistent but has counterplay
For reference, Zamazenta doesn't get Swords Dance, or even Bulk Up. If you want to boost Attack with Zamazenta, Howl or Work Up is the best you're going to get. That's not to say Howl or Work Up would be unviable; they seem actually very good in an OU environment, especially for cleaning up weakened, slower teams. It has 4MSS though, big time, and still can't really break most things the CB set can't. It wants Wild Charge to 2HKO Toxapex at +1 (it's similar to Bulk Up Zen Headbutt Cinderace where Toxapex can heal and Haze alternatingly, however Zamazenta doesn't have the flinch chance) as well as Slowbro, Iron Head for Clefable, Ice Fang for Lando-T and Zapdos, and it still loses to Buzzwole unless it runs Psychic Fangs. Although Buzzwole does barely anything back, Zamazenta can't accrue enough boosts to beat it before it gets beaten. Not to mention that Buzzwole can run Bulk Up or even Toxic which turns it into an even more positive matchup for Buzzwole. If it runs Leftovers it simply is not that strong, and if it runs Life Orb the combined effect of that and Wild Charge will wear it down, and it makes it so stuff like Toxapex can just heal up and Haze as it dies. But it also needs the power of Life Orb in order to break through Unaware Clefable. Basically, the point is, this set can't cover everything it needs to.
:buzzwole:
0 Atk Buzzwole Drain Punch vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Zamazenta: 64-76 (19.6 - 23.3%) -- possible 5HKO
0 Atk Buzzwole Drain Punch vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Zamazenta: 64-76 (19.6 - 23.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
This might seem dire, but you need to remember that non Life Orb Zamazenta needs to boost up to +5 Attack just to have a chance to 2HKO Buzzwole, if it's not running Psychic Fangs, and Buzzwole can use Hammer Arm instead to speed things along, or Bulk Up to just win, or Toxic to just win. Even Poison Jab with its high poison chance turns this into a winning matchup.
:zapdos:
0 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta: 254-302 (78.1 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Zapdos Discharge vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta: 93-111 (28.6 - 34.1%) -- 98.5% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Zapdos: 125-147 (32.5 - 38.2%) -- 98.2% chance to 3HKO
Watch out for Hurricane, but even Discharge can beat it down with some luck. Static is still a factor here too.
:clefable:
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta: 174-206 (53.5 - 63.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Life Orb Zamazenta Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 200-237 (50.7 - 60.1%) -- 85.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Zamazenta Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 154-182 (39 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

• Zamazenta's best matchup would probably be against offense, but it doesn't seem completely unstoppable
Zamazenta's high bulk and speed means it would be able to dominate slower, physically offensive mons. It has really insane bulk for such an offensive mon and survives a lot of things, I'll give it that. The fact that using Close Combat tanks its defenses can eat into its bulk, though. It still gets 2HKO'd by LO or Specs or Band Pheromosa, Specs Dragapult, +2 Bulu Grassy Glide, among other things. It would find its place in the meta as a limiting factor for mons such as Cinderace, Urshifu, and Kyurem-B, being able to offensively pivot in on them once and force them out. It would also be a great offensive check to Pheromosa. Overall, Zamazenta would be great for offensive teams to not be immediately steamrolled by insane physical attackers without giving up too much momentum. This was kind of a problem so far in gen 8 OU as stuff like Rillaboom could clean up opposing teams easily and forced you to run a momentum suck.
:tapu koko:
252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta in Electric Terrain: 318-375 (97.8 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
Zamazenta can revenge kill Tapu Koko if it is weakened a bit, but watch out.
:urshifu:
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Close Combat vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Zamazenta: 174-205 (53.5 - 63%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Zamazenta on a critical hit: 130-153 (40 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Zamazenta can switch in on the otherwise impossible to switch in on Urshifu once, which is something many offensive teams will appreciate, I think.
:pheromosa:
252 Atk Life Orb Pheromosa Close Combat vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Zamazenta: 156-185 (48 - 56.9%) -- 89.1% chance to 2HKO
It really prevents Pheromosa, especially physical variants from running too wild. You should know that Specs Focus blast does like 90%, however, so checking any sort of special variant is much tougher.
:zeraora:
252 SpA Zeraora Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta: 85-102 (26.1 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Remember this guy? If you have something like Slowbro you can pivot around while chipping Zamazenta down with Volt Switch.
:tapu bulu:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tapu Bulu Grassy Glide vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Zamazenta in Grassy Terrain: 251-296 (77.2 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 232-274 (82.5 - 97.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. +1 0 HP / 4 Def Zamazenta in Grassy Terrain: 247-292 (76 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
Matchups against more offensive Bulu. Zamazenta can revenge kill if it is weakened a bit but probably shouldn't be pivoting in.

• What about Zamazenta-Crowned?
Compared to regular Zamazenta it is even easier to wall by non-fairies since it can't run Choice Band, but it would have a much better typing (immune to toxic) and even more insane bulk, letting it bear down on offensive mons even more. I think at that point it would be too centralizing for the offensive meta to deal with. If every team ends up running Zapdos, Toxapex, or Slowbro though, it could be fine but I don't really have as strong of an opinion on it. So no, I don't think it should be unbanned.
  • I think Zamazenta would be worth trying in OU since its power level seems more in line with some of the more recent additions that are being trialed in OU
  • Although it is capable of 2HKOing much of OU, it needs absolutely pristine prediction in order to pull it off, and it still has a few hard counters
  • I don't think the Howl set would break it since it's still not really strong enough after a boost and has coverage issues
  • Thanks to its great bulk and speed, it will be excellent against offense, but I think its shortcomings against common defensive mons hold it back a bit
  • I don't think Zamazenta-Crowned should be unbanned

Thanks for reading.
Regarding the last paragraph in this post, I think that Zamazenta-Crowned is actually weaker than normal Zamazenta. Regarding plain stats, Zamazenta does have great defenses and a steel typing, but it is HUGELY held back by the fact that Zamazenta-Crowned cannot even hold an item. As a speedy tank, it would be nearly unmatched in the meta, but it would have very little breaking power to hit things that its stab cannot hit super effectively, such as Toxapex, Tangrowth, Hippowdon, and Amoongus. It would get very easily worn down even by rocks, and by the very good spikes. Not to mention that in the beginning of the meta it would struggle with a variety of special attackers. Even though this may be too strong, normal Zamazenta will have the ability to hold Choice Band to potentially beat walls like Hippowdon and Toxapex, which would wall the Crowned form. Think of Zamazenta-Crowned as an incredibly bulky Mega Lopunny, but regular Zamazenta is a still very bulky Mega Lopunny that can hold a Choice Band/Scarf.

Calcs:
252+ Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 139-165 (33 - 39.2%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 248+ Def Hippowdon: 208-246 (49.5 - 58.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 172-204 (56.5 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 116-138 (38.1 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 199-235 (49.2 - 58.1%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 133-157 (32.9 - 38.8%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Rising Voltage (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Zamazenta-Crowned in Electric Terrain: 261-307 (80.3 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Zamazenta-Crowned would sacrifice the great bulk for the ability to break through pretty much any wall in OU, essentially making it an Urshifu that also happens to be incredibly fast and specially bulky. Zamazenta-Crowned is simply a fast Rhyperior without lefties/choice band, which means it is infinitely more wallable and breakable, and as long as Urshifu stays around it won't have WishPort Clef to heal it up again.

Normally I'd be against unbanning Zamazenta (and/or the Crowned version) but given we're dropping so much stuff that's potentially busted (and has historically been busted-that doesn't mean these things will be busted every gen and should never be retested, but Genesect and Lando-I have ended up consistently being unhealthy for OU), it might honestly be worth a shot. I personally think we should've started off with all the same stuff banned and then started dropping down stuff via suspect 1 at a time, but this is the other best option (although I do think it's substantially worse because potentially not-broken stuff (Melmetal, Kyurem-B) might feel broken due to the presence of like, 5+ potentially broken threats that have to be accounted for.

Im glad we dont have to deal with galar darm and dracovish limiting the meta when we are getting a shit ton of new pokemon. Still think some of the unbans were excessive (idk some of them seem like they'll just be reverted) but i understand the philosophy of it and i may try to get back on playing ou with my job breaking coming soon.

Also blacephalon is finally good pog

If we were to judge pokemon if they were unhealthy based on the ubers metagame, USUM Reshiram and darkrai would be UU
Current Gen 8 Ubers is barely ubers, there are like only 10 pokemon that are banned. Zamazenta-Crowned is incomparably worse than any of them. There are plenty of calcs around to show why Zamazenta-Crowned deserves a suspect test. Especially after Crowned Tundra DLC is released tomorrow.

Zamazenta-Crowned would nowhere near be busted. Has anybody tried Zamazenta-C in Ubers? It can't do a single thing properly, not even walling.

It's not as bad as Kyurem Black in B&W2, but close enough.
Whether or not Zamazenta-Crowned would be broken is definitely debatable, but imo debatable enough for a retest if we have the time. It's still a tank that outspeed 90% of the metagame while virtually nothing OHKOs it and therefore cannot force it out. It's mega lopunny that doesn't die after 1 hit. It's the perfect anti-offense mon: You eliminate the only 2 pokemon that can outspeed it by taking a hit and OHKOing back, then you outspeed and KO everything else. Steel typing is great for a grassy glide resistance, along with an automatic defense boost, which means the only way to beat it is specially. Walls would take care of it greatly and effectively, common walls at that, but I don't know if the Ladder HO tryhards will stand for having a mon that singe-handedly destroys their playstyle.

Whether or not Zamazenta-Crowned would be broken is definitely debatable, but imo debatable enough for a retest if we have the time. It's still a tank that outspeed 90% of the metagame while virtually nothing OHKOs it and therefore cannot force it out. It's mega lopunny that doesn't die after 1 hit. It's the perfect anti-offense mon: You eliminate the only 2 pokemon that can outspeed it by taking a hit and OHKOing back, then you outspeed and KO everything else. Steel typing is great for a grassy glide resistance, along with an automatic defense boost, which means the only way to beat it is specially. Walls would take care of it greatly and effectively, common walls at that, but I don't know if the Ladder HO tryhards will stand for having a mon that singe-handedly destroys their playstyle.
Zamazenta has many issues such as terrible movepool, no recovery, no attack boosting move except howl. 130 base attack is good but not that good, especially after Close Combat defence drops when it's easier to take down. Scarfed Urshifu for example is a much stronger and faster threat than Zamazenta-C, but it's not been banned from OU. Zamazenta's power is pretty mediocre due to its bad movepool, no recovery and inability to hold item.

Zamazenta has many issues such as terrible movepool, no recovery, no attack boosting move except howl. 130 base attack is good but not that good, especially after Close Combat defence drops when it's easier to take down. Scarfed Urshifu for example is a much stronger and faster threat than Zamazenta-C, but it's not been banned from OU. Zamazenta's power is pretty mediocre due to its bad movepool, no recovery and inability to hold item.
With the power you definitely have a point. Zamazenta-C is very weak. But it is also very bulky. Yes, Scarf Urshifu is stronger, but Scarf Urshifu has 341-236-156 bulk compared to Zamazenta-C's 325-489-326 bulk and a steel typing with no quad weaknesses. It's not strong like Urshifu is, it's bulky like Rhyperior while strong like Mega Lopunny. Imo would might be unbannable but it would pretty much shut down Hyper Offense unless there is a fast/bulky special set up sweeper that fits perfectly on Hyper Offense, isn't KOed by one of Zamazenta-C's coverage moves, and is useful in non-Zamazenta-C matchups. Is it ok to have a pokemon that shuts down hyper offense? Many people would say no.

This being said my arguments are pointless, as we can both agree this thing deserves to be unbanned in the recent unbanning wave.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Yeah I think Zama-C and maybe Zama-Hero should be given a chance

...but after we deal with stuff like Blaziken, Phero, and Genesect. I don't wanna deal with Zama while dealing with those stupid sh*t. Give them a chance after we kick all the broken sh*t out of OU.

Yeah I think Zama-C and maybe Zama-Hero should be given a chance

...but after we deal with stuff like Blaziken, Phero, and Genesect. I don't wanna deal with Zama while dealing with those stupid sh*t. Give them a chance after we kick all the broken sh*t out of OU.
Zamazenta-Hero would be too much, since it can hold items like Life Orb, Leftover or Choice Band (which makes it a dangerous wallbreaker), and is faster than all mons except Zeraora and Dragapult. Zamazenta-C however is a different story.

Last edited:
Zamazenta-Hero would be too much, since it can hold items like Life Orb or Choice Band (which makes it a dangerous wallbreaker), and is faster than all mons except Zeraora and Dragapult. Zamazenta-C however is a different story.
Yes, but then Zamazenta-C would be an alternate form that's worse than the base form, and the base form would end up being too much for OU. So how are we going to balance it?

Best solution here imo is to have both stay banned, only because it'd be impossible to tier the altered form differently from the base form.

Yes, but then Zamazenta-C would be an alternate form that's worse than the base form, and the base form would end up being too much for OU. So how are we going to balance it?

Best solution here imo is to have both stay banned, only because it'd be impossible to tier the altered form differently from the base form.
They are essentially two different mons with different BST and typing, the only similarity is in their name. Much like Kyurem Blacks and Kyurem White. One is OU and other is Uber.

shadowpea

everyone is lonely sometimes
is a Tiering Contributor
Zamazenta-Hero would be too much, since it can hold items like Life Orb or Choice Band (which makes it a dangerous wallbreaker), and is faster than all mons except Zeraora and Dragapult. Zamazenta-C however is a different story.
Yeah true (I did say maybe). I forgot Life Orb existed lol.

You can only acess crowned form through holding an item that forces the form change.

Seems simple to tier: just force the item.

While I do also believe that Zama-C is not banworthy and should deserve a test, I would rather have it be individually then be unbanned with all the crazy shit, it will be hard to evaluate zamazenta in an environment where mons such as pheromosa, genesect, naganadel, zygarde, lando-i, blaziken, and tapu lele are allowed, when they are likely to be banned. I think once the metagame stabilizes, zamazenta-C should definitely deserves a chance at being tested for OU.

Also, I'll talk about Kyruem-black and magearna in OU since I was not expecting them to be quick unbanned. Kyurem-black i do agree with giving him more time since we only had it for a day, but it will still likely be broken and will probably go rather quickly along with the other broken stuff. On the other hand, I'll take the time to analyze magearna and evaluate whether or not it will be banned. the set i will mostly be looking at will be the Specs set, since that is what broke it in many people's eyes. First, let's look at mons that could somewhat deal with magearna, though they all had their own faults.
1603297066932.png
1603297074065.png
1603297081079.png
1603297104140.png
1603297121199.png
1603297132162.png
1603297139872.png

All of these pokemon could deal with specs mag to some degree. Excadrill could offensively check it but had to worry about aura sphere and didn't like taking a fluer cannon, pex feared trick and volt switch, volcarona offensively dealt with it but while it could function with tricked specs, it misses its boots. Blissey hated trick, heattom was arguably its best check but wasn't enough to keep it unbanned, and sun mons like charizard outspeed and nuked magearna. Finally, cinderace is returning and was the best offensive check to magearna. All of these could deal with mage to some degree and will return, but lets see what other new toys we will get that can curb the gear's effectiveness.

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 314-372 (104.3 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 290-344 (96.3 - 114.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 650-768 (215.9 - 255.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 530-626 (176 - 207.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Dracozolt Bolt Beak (170 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 266-316 (88.3 - 104.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna: 192-228 (63.7 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Magearna Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 176+ SpD Heatran: 142-168 (36.7 - 43.5%) -- 99.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Here are 5 new pokemon (6 if you want to count dracozolt getting sand rush) that can check magearna to some degree. Many of mag's checks last gen are coming back with the dlc, so mag will not be as opressive as last time. Could mag adapt and find some new broken set? Possibly, we dont know until we can apply it to practice. All i know is that magearna has a chance to become fine in the OU metagame this time. I'd like to hear more thoughts about magearna since its the one I'm most split on, with me being sure kyurem-black is still broken and cinderace and melmetal being manageable in my eyes.

I agree that Zamazenta shouldn't be unbanned, but I would like to point out that having different forms in different tiers has precedent when you consider Deoxys-Defense having been in OU for a while during Gen 6, as well as megas being different forms of the same mon. Zamazentas form change is essentially a combination of the two, requiring a held item to change forms like megas did, while being able to change forms outside of battle like Deoxys does. If one wished to ban Zamazenta-C all they would need to do is ban the Rusted Shield, while if the opposite is true they could ban regular Zamazenta outright and not its Crowned form ala Deo-D.
That said lmao no don't unban them what the hell Zamazenta-C (the worse one) still has stupid good stats with 130 attack and 128 speed while also having 92/145/145 defenses and an ability that gives it an automatic defense boost when entering the field so it'd be way too hard to revenge kill. Regular Zamazenta has defenses at 92/115/115 but still keeps the ability on top of defensive stats that are significantly better than any other offensive mon in the tier, but in exchange it gets 138 speed, outspeeding everything in the tier except for Dragapult, Zeraora, and Pheramosa, while still having the 130 base attack and the ability to run items like Band or LO to boost its damage output even further.

I agree that Zamazenta shouldn't be unbanned, but I would like to point out that having different forms in different tiers has precedent when you consider Deoxys-Defense having been in OU for a while during Gen 6, as well as megas being different forms of the same mon. Zamazentas form change is essentially a combination of the two, requiring a held item to change forms like megas did, while being able to change forms outside of battle like Deoxys does. If one wished to ban Zamazenta-C all they would need to do is ban the Rusted Shield, while if the opposite is true they could ban regular Zamazenta outright and not its Crowned form ala Deo-D.
That said lmao no don't unban them what the hell Zamazenta-C (the worse one) still has stupid good stats with 130 attack and 128 speed while also having 92/145/145 defenses and an ability that gives it an automatic defense boost when entering the field so it'd be way too hard to revenge kill. Regular Zamazenta has defenses at 92/115/115 but still keeps the ability on top of defensive stats that are significantly better than any other offensive mon in the tier, but in exchange it gets 138 speed, outspeeding everything in the tier except for Dragapult, Zeraora, and Pheramosa, while still having the 130 base attack and the ability to run items like Band or LO to boost its damage output even further.
It's not that Zamazenta-C would be unmanageable, as it is easily walled by the best physical walls in OU and its only boosting move being howl. Even its super effective coverage cannot 2HKO, and it doesn't have U-turn to abuse momentum. It would be more of a problem for offense, who wouldn't be able to OHKO it and would have to take a huge hit. 130 base attack without a boosting item is not as strong as you think: think lefties non-sd excadrill in terms of relative offensive power.

Edit: After thinking about it i reverse my stance because we can't just unban Z-C and not Z-H. RIP potential first cover legendary in OU.

Edit: After thinking about it i reverse my stance because we can't just unban Z-C and not Z-H. RIP potential first cover legendary in OU.
Uh, why not? That logic made sense with Megas because the base form is present in the battle as well. But if there's no possible in-battle form change, they're separate forms and are tiered separately. Landorus-therian was OU last gen, while Landorus-Incarnate was Uber. What's the difference?

Edit: musiquepkmn haha it's all good. Our wounded boy can be judged on his merits

Last edited:
Uh, why not? That logic made sense with Megas because the base form is present in the battle as well. But if there's no possible in-battle form change, they're separate forms and are tiered separately. Landorus-therian was OU last gen, while Landorus-Incarnate was Uber. What's the difference?
Hmm... good point. My stupid cranium may be wrong again... maybe i should just go to sleep XD

here's my thoughts on the wolf before finch's reckoning upon us all, please don't smite me I swear this is a legitimate answer and not a one-liner

:ss/zamazenta:
:ss/zamazenta-crowned:

Honestly? I'd say these two are on equal footing in terms of potential viability - as well as brokenness - in OU.

Zamazenta's excellent 92/145/145 bulk in its Crowned form is heavily undermined by its utter lack of recovery and boosting moves, as well as not having Body Press (screw you GameFreak) which limits its damage output significantly. Its best offensive options consist of Close Combat, Behemoth Bash (Crowned form only), Play Rough/Psychic Fangs (Grouped together bc they hit somewhat similar things), Wild Charge (Puck Fex), and Crunch, with the elemental fangs existing but not serving much of a purpose in comparison to other options. 130 Attack and 128 Speed allow it to do decent damage and outpace much of the meta, with both forms being compared to a Mega Lopunny with an item due to similar Speed, which is a rather apt analogy. I imagine it running CC/Bash/PsyFangs/Choice of coverage move or CC/Sub/Howl/Something else should it be allowed in OU. However, I believe its large natural bulk while keeping intact a still very solid Speed tier (which blows past Cinderace, the Latis, and is literally just shy of Koko) on top of a decent Attack stat with a not awful defensive typing keeps it on the cusp of being broken, and as such I personally would be hesitant to allow a second box legend into the tier (Suicune doesn't count)

The Hero/base form trades bulk for 138 Speed while maintaining a 130 Attack stat, and gains an item slot which could possibly push it over the edge, It is essentially a Mega Lopunny that's either much stronger or much faster with a few coverage options to hit Mons that would wall it for the trade-off of having a harder time with most Fairy types. This would likely run either Band or Scarf with CC/Psychic Fangs/Crunch/Iron Head. The same applies here - While it doesn't look entirely broken on paper, practice often yields significantly different results, as seen in the past with Mons like Zygarde, who seemed fine until suddenly it can hit everything with a single move relatively well in most cases.

TL;DR: While entertaining Zamazenta's presence in either or both forms is entirely doable, I believe it would at worst teeter on the edge of being broken and unhealthy and at best excel and warp the metagame around it, resulting in a subsequent reinstatement of its banishment to the shadow realm of being the worst Uber by far to ever step into the format.

Thanks for listening, probably.

here's my thoughts on the wolf before finch's reckoning upon us all, please don't smite me I swear this is a legitimate answer and not a one-liner

:ss/zamazenta:
:ss/zamazenta-crowned:

Honestly? I'd say these two are on equal footing in terms of potential viability - as well as brokenness - in OU.

Zamazenta's excellent 92/145/145 bulk in its Crowned form is heavily undermined by its utter lack of recovery and boosting moves, as well as not having Body Press (screw you GameFreak) which limits its damage output significantly. Its best offensive options consist of Close Combat, Behemoth Bash (Crowned form only), Play Rough/Psychic Fangs (Grouped together bc they hit somewhat similar things), Wild Charge (Puck Fex), and Crunch, with the elemental fangs existing but not serving much of a purpose in comparison to other options. 130 Attack and 128 Speed allow it to do decent damage and outpace much of the meta, with both forms being compared to a Mega Lopunny with an item due to similar Speed, which is a rather apt analogy. I imagine it running CC/Bash/PsyFangs/Choice of coverage move or CC/Sub/Howl/Something else should it be allowed in OU. However, I believe its large natural bulk while keeping intact a still very solid Speed tier (which blows past Cinderace, the Latis, and is literally just shy of Koko) on top of a decent Attack stat with a not awful defensive typing keeps it on the cusp of being broken, and as such I personally would be hesitant to allow a second box legend into the tier (Suicune doesn't count)

The Hero/base form trades bulk for 138 Speed while maintaining a 130 Attack stat, and gains an item slot which could possibly push it over the edge, It is essentially a Mega Lopunny that's either much stronger or much faster with a few coverage options to hit Mons that would wall it for the trade-off of having a harder time with most Fairy types. This would likely run either Band or Scarf with CC/Psychic Fangs/Crunch/Iron Head. The same applies here - While it doesn't look entirely broken on paper, practice often yields significantly different results, as seen in the past with Mons like Zygarde, who seemed fine until suddenly it can hit everything with a single move relatively well in most cases.

TL;DR: While entertaining Zamazenta's presence in either or both forms is entirely doable, I believe it would at worst teeter on the edge of being broken and unhealthy and at best excel and warp the metagame around it, resulting in a subsequent reinstatement of its banishment to the shadow realm of being the worst Uber by far to ever step into the format.

Thanks for listening, probably.
I think Zamazenta-H is clearly broken. The fact that Zamazenta-C cannot hold an item is what makes it on the edge of manageable in my eyes. but Zamazenta-H would be Urshifu with better coverage, same strength, better bulk, and better speed, which would allow even Banded sets to beat offense without sucker punch. However, Zamazenta-C could be manageable due to how easy it is to wall, seeing as the "Puck Fex" wild charge doesn't even come close to 2HKOing. It would practically shut down all forms of Hyper Offense, though, and many people seem defensive of HO so I don't know. Either way, I believe there's enough doubt to where Zamazenta-C could/should be unbanned.
alright i am responding to like every post in this forum do i even have a life i don't even know. I think a good idea would be to stop so yeah thank you for your consideration, but it doesn't even affect you anyways so why should u care. Please stop reading this thank you.

It's not that Zamazenta-C would be unmanageable, as it is easily walled by the best physical walls in OU and its only boosting move being howl. Even its super effective coverage cannot 2HKO, and it doesn't have U-turn to abuse momentum. It would be more of a problem for offense, who wouldn't be able to OHKO it and would have to take a huge hit. 130 base attack without a boosting item is not as strong as you think: think lefties non-sd excadrill in terms of relative offensive power.

Kyurem-Black in BW2 OU: Am I a joke to you?

As tempting as it may be, I don't think adding either Zamazenta form to OU would be advisable. Sure, its great bulk and the +1 boost from Dauntless Shield makes revenge-killing it a pain, but actually my main reason for thinking this to be unadvisable is less due to Zama being overtly broken and more because of how its presence would inevitably affect the meta; it mainly becomes unhealthy when you take into account the greater meta. Let's think for a second: Zama is a hard hitting physical attacker with no recovery and no boosting outside of Howl/Work Up; despite its cons, it will likely be spammed on ladder due to high stats and having great bulk and speed for an offensive threat, plus a decently diverse attacking movepool. What do you think is going to be the natural best answer to a mon like that? Simple-

1603302097486.png
S
1603302114193.png
T
1603302128232.png
A
1603302141609.png
L
1603302150872.png
L
1603302274326.png

While I admit I'm not the most knowledgeable on how the meta would adapt to a threat such as Zama, to me the addition of either Zama form would inherently make STALL an even more central force than it currently is (especially after all the overwhelming offensive threats get banned). Both Zama STABs do nothing to Toxapex, and its two best options for Pex- Wild Charge and Psychic Fangs- can both be walled by common partners like Hippowdon and Tangrowth or Mandibuzz and Corviknight, respectively. That's in addition to returning STALL partners like Lando-T, whose Intimidate especially neuters Crowned form due to its lack of boosting item. Simply put, I can't help but be afraid of STALL would quite possibly become even more dominant in order to keep Zama in bay, and this kind of warping is something I find both overly-centralizing and plain disgusting. Sure, this hypothetical STALL dominance probably wouldn't take hold until the meta settles, which will probably take two months or so (remember how long it took for Skarmory to take off in OU?), but assuming Zama did make it past that initial stretch, fat mons that can recover off its damage and possibly cripple it with status (namely burn) rising up to counter it is practically a given. Considering how STALL currently dominates OU to counter Urshifu, just imagine how ladder would have to adapt to an Urshifu with superior defenses, really good speed and no 4x weakness. Doesn't sound too appealing, does it? So, while Zamazenta has some obvious shortcomings (4MSS, little boosting, no recovery, Crowned's item lock), I still think that it has the potential to warp OU in a way where it's almost unplayable*, and so I think OU would be better off without it.

*Note: claims of unplayability are mainly meant for dramatic effect. I am not being literal with this term, and am largely just signaling how unappealing I would find that meta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)