Do not be afraid to ask for hack checks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone still competing needs to know this. Do not be afraid to ask for a hack check if you loose! Simply explain to your opponent the situation and that you just want to be safe, and he/she should comply if they are legit. If he/she were in your shoes, he would like the same thing probably. I don't want what happened at Dallas to happen anywhere else to good battlers. A guy with hacked pokemon single handidly took out three people bound for the finalist lounge. TeeJay lost to him in round 2, Omega's friend (TeeJay did not state name) lost to him in round 3, and I lost to him in round 4, just so he could be dq'd not even 2 minutes later in the lounge for having 510 evs in a single stat instead of spread out. There is no shame in asking for a hack check and you wont be considered a sore looser for doing it. It sucks that people resort to doing this and take away opportunities from good people, but it happens. So I will iterate again Do not be afraid to ask for a hack check if you loose!. Good luck to everyone else still trying to earn spots and have fun!

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Why would you wait until after you've lost to ask for a hack check? It's already too late at that point, you're supposed to call a ref over in the middle of the match if you suspect something.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You cannot ask for a hack check after you lose. You can only ask for one during the battle. If you see that something is off, ask for a hack check. With your practice, you should know how much Pokemon like Kyogre or Abomasnow should be doing to your Pokemon. If they're doing a lot more (not like Choice Specs is on them or they're Modest more), then ask for a hack check.

There were people in dallas asking immediately after loosing, like when the ref came over to check winner. If it has to be during though, then do that, but the point is dont be afraid to for fear of looking like a jerk. Just do it and they will understand.

They were very specific that if you lost and didn't make mention before the results were finalized even if you were right you would lose anyway. The other guy would probably get kicked out but you would still lose as well.

Ok i get it, I didn't understand the rules right. All I am trying to say by this is there are hackers out there. Do not be afraid to ask for hack check. Several people I have talked to were and ended up loosing, then found out that it was hacked all along. No more correcting my misunderstanding lol

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
You cannot ask for a hack check after you lose. You can only ask for one during the battle. If you see that something is off, ask for a hack check. With your practice, you should know how much Pokemon like Kyogre or Abomasnow should be doing to your Pokemon. If they're doing a lot more (not like Choice Specs is on them or they're Modest more), then ask for a hack check.
ya, but if someone pulls a huy and theyre caught hacking because of something completely inane then this situation still occurs

I got checked...I was fine obviously, I dont hack or RNG (rape) but still was nervous, never know what jap dittos you are getting off the GTS =/

I thought this was public knowledge?

EDIT: here it is
http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/regulations.php
PokemonVGC.com said:
A player should notify the staff immediately if he or she believes that there is a problem with an opponent's Pokémon. At the end of the round, all match results become final. Issues that go unreported until after the round has completed will not change the result of that match, regardless of whether there is a problem with an opponent's Pokémon.
Anyway - Devin (Marrilland) said that only ask for a hack check if you suspect something fishy. You cannot suspect anything before the battle, so ask during the battle if you want a hack check.

It seems kinda like a dick move to ask for a hack check right in the middle of a battle. If you're losing horribly, you will know one of two things: 1) they're hacking and you should ask for a hack check or 2) they're not hacking and everything that is reasonable is happening during the battle. I wouldn't do it until the very last turn to be safe. If a Kyogre is Modest w/ a Lens and I don't know it, but it looks like a normal Kyogre w/o a Lens, I'll ask him at the end if there's a Lens and hopefully he will be honest. Of course lots of practice will tell you, as explained before, what Pokemon will do X damage. A grass knot from an Aboma will typically take off 7/8ths HP to a 0 HP/0 SpD Kyogre, for example.

Assuming Aboma has max SpA EV's.

Despite how you can't always rely on your opponent being honest either, a well informed Pokemon player will know if someone is hacking. A Mewtwo with 510 EV's in a stat might be hard to notice though if it's in something like Def, in a metagame where special attacks are more common. -shrug-

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
Anyway - Devin (Marrilland) said that only ask for a hack check if you suspect something fishy. You cannot suspect anything before the battle, so ask during the battle if you want a hack check.
A player should notify the staff immediately if he or she believes that there is a problem with an opponent's Pokémon. At the end of the round, all match results become final. Issues that go unreported until after the round has completed will not change the result of that match, regardless of whether there is a problem with an opponent's Pokémon.
A Dialga with 999 in its speed stat KO your Timid Latios, which was your last Pokémon.
You believe it is a scarf, but you're not sure.
Issues that go unreported until after the round has completed will not change the result of that match, regardless of whether there is a problem with an opponent's Pokémon.
Unfortunately, even if you ask for a hack check, and the Dialga shows up as hacked, you're still screwed because the round has been completed.

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
Dialga can't have 510 speed EVs.
Yep, I noticed a bit too late :P

The max is 255 EVs in a stat, you can't hack to put more than that in a single stat, it's impossible.
But you can still edit directly the stat if the Pokémon stays in your party (it reverts when it is stored on the PC)

You can still put 255 EVs in every stat, though.

Ah, I see. Then use trick room! That's 510 EVs in the wrong direction! lol I'm kidding, that really sucks.

Werecario, I was the person who lost in round 3, and I'm sorry to say that I thought the Mewtwo did too much damage, but I wasn't 100% sure, and I didn't want to be a jerk. I'm really hating myself now.

Also, I think I heard that there was a fourth smogonite who lost round 1, but I'm not sure that I got that correctly.

Just to repeat, ask for hack checks.

Also, I think I heard that there was a fourth smogonite who lost round 1, but I'm not sure that I got that correctly.ask for hack checks.
Are you serious!!! There were four somgonites taken out by this hacker! That really pisses me off. Smogonites have real potential for finalists, and in my case (being the fourth match) I should have advanced. Eh, what can you do now I guess, I really don't like this guy though...

I don't get the reasoning behind this, since its not their fault when they lose to a hacker, so they should be given another chance to be back in the tournament. But of course it might be too hard to find all the people that lost to hackers. If anything they should be checking everyone's game as they are entering the first round, it would save time if they have more than one person doing the checking.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Actually, my round 4 opponent hacked. I didn't suspect it, even though my Palkia's Thunder did about 1/2 to his Kyogre. However, my match was on the screens, and he had all shinys. Several people in the crowd were saying (I didn't hear them) that he hacked. Someone said at the end of the battle (and my dad has it on video) "JRankin" (my trainer name) "protest!" Someone got Marriland, he checked, and the kid had 255 EVs in EVERY STAT. He got DQ'd, and I went to the finalists lounge and got Top 16. This was at Dallas yesterday.

Are you serious!!! There were four somgonites taken out by this hacker! That really pisses me off. Smogonites have real potential for finalists, and in my case (being the fourth match) I should have advanced. Eh, what can you do now I guess, I really don't like this guy though...
Yeah, it's like he did what was joked about on IRC, badly hack stuff, and rely on no one calling you on it.

I don't get the reasoning behind this, since its not their fault when they lose to a hacker, so they should be given another chance to be back in the tournament. But of course it might be too hard to find all the people that lost to hackers. If anything they should be checking everyone's game as they are entering the first round, it would save time if they have more than one person doing the checking.
I was hack checked before the first round, but there's a funny story behind it.

At the LCQ I fully intend to ask for a hack check before every round. But someone made a comment that that is frowned upon by staff? Why? I absolutely refuse to lose to someone who didn't catch and train there pokemon properly.

Do they even have a program that does the checking or do they do it manually? Humans are definitely prone to error when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Let's go find this hacker and beat him up in the parking lot.

No, but seriously, that's really not cool how someone can do that and go so far in the tournament. They really need to get more on the ball with that stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)