Does anyone else think End Game kinda sucked? (Spoilers probably)

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
While I didn’t think the Captain Marvel scenes were bad per se, I do think her character leads to all kinds of Superman OP issues. Why was she not at the ending fight way earlier? Why was she not able to beat a stones-less Thanos? Why did SHE not put on the infinity gauntlet when she held it??? Surely it wouldn’t have killed her.

Anyway they tried to avoid this by just waving away that she is looking after ‘the rest of the galaxy’ but like why introduce her at all in this movie then? Her power levels fluctuate to fit the needs of the story (just like Superman’s) and she’s so absurdly strong that nothing feels threatening or interesting when she is involved.

I feel like OP superheroes is a place almost all comic series gravitate towards since more power feels to the audience like it is upping the stakes. In reality it just limits the stories that can be told and requires increasing amounts of hand waving to explain itself.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Why was she not able to beat a stones-less Thanos?
For that matter, why wasn't Thor (who was able to fight even with a stones Thanos in Infinity War)? Or why didn't Thanos Army just fire a second barrage of missiles (which they clearly had), rather than charging in and fighting like it was 1019 instead of 2019?

All sorts of problems this movie had.

Why did SHE not put on the infinity gauntlet when she held it???
Only reasonable explanation here is that the film makers have a boner for Tony Stark.

Actually, can I rant about the "let's fight like it's 1019" a little more because IW had that problem too and it was fucking dumb. You come here on a big ass spaceship, which by default means you control enough energy to vaporize earth, and you charge in for a fist fight??? This is why comic books' attempt at sci-fi are so fucking dumb.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
Actually, can I rant about the "let's fight like it's 1019" a little more because IW had that problem too and it was fucking dumb. You come here on a big ass spaceship, which by default means you control enough energy to vaporize earth, and you charge in for a fist fight??? This is why comic books' attempt at sci-fi are so fucking dumb.
At least in infinity war they had a forcefield, and all of the enemies were some ugly dogs without guns. And the motive was just to extract the mind stone. Destroying earth altogether would have been inconsistent with Thanos' goals, plus I'm sure they didn't see earth as much of a threat to begin with (which is fair considering thanos won).

In end game, Thanos said, "My future self collected all the infinity stones and snapped, so I know that acheiving my lifelong dream to save (half) the universe is not only possible, but also inevitable. But fuck that pussy shit my new dream is to kill Robert Downey Jr then blow up the earth, even tho I've never even seen iron man or any of the avengers before and have absolutely no reason to care. Also being 5 years younger made it so I can somehow beat up captain marvel, thor with axe, captain america with hammer, and nanotech iron man, probably even all at the same time. Remember when i had 3 infinity stones and still almost got beat by Chris Pratt, some high school kid, and a fucking bug? Good times. By the way, the characterization that I developed over the past 20 movies got scrapped, and now im just Drax but without an actual reason for revenge."

Then they all had a fist fight that somehow seemed smaller and less intense than the final battle in Iron Man 3.

Heroic Troller

Through the Sea of Time
is a Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
World Defender
It wasn't terrible, this is mostly people overreacting after storing too much hype, it was disappointing, way slower in the first half than most of the marvel films. What worked so well on Infinity War was all left out. The constant pace, the comedy was really good, Thanos was finally a villain worth the name (just like Loki of Avengers 1), and they took risks along the way. What happened there? Too slow, bad comedy (who laughs at fat Thor insulting a fortnite kid?), Thanos became just a big menacing guy, i wanted to see more of the one who lost Gamora but it was killed off real soon.
I'm a big time travels fan but this time around it was just lazy. But something worked in there, and it was the raw action from the Hulk snap, i was so excited when the shield broke under a fury of attacks as pure fighting scene.

This film overall was a real disappointment and so lazy but saying it was the worst is just blind butthurt, hello Thor 2.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It definitely wasn't the worst but I'd have to say it wasn't as good as Captain Marvel and that still feels relatively really bad

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Infinity War thanos wasn't fighting at 100%. He was depressed, the stones were sapping his strength (see: hulk struggling to even wear the gauntlet), and his central character trait is that he wants to lose, which would fuel his savior complex. He thinks he's "saving" the universe, so why kill people unnecessarily when he think's he's right? He'd want tony and the other avengers to see that in the end his logic is sound. Later, on his farm, he got surprised and killed basically right away by 4 people without any struggle.

Meanwhile endgame thanos is fighting to exterminate everyone. He think he's fated to kill them all and gather the stones. He's not pulling any punches at fighting at 100% capacity.

So, I agree with some of the criticisms made in this thread so far. However, there’s a few points I disagree with. Overall I liked the movie for what it was, although I didn’t love it. Black Widow not getting a proper funeral was pretty disappointing, as was the Captain Marvel Girl Power scene. The way they reintroduced Gamora was pretty cool though.

Remember when i had 3 infinity stones and still almost got beat by Chris Pratt, some high school kid, and a fucking bug? Good times.
They didn’t even come close to beating / killing him on Titan. They came close to removing the glove, but that’s about it. Remember after Thanos beat the Guardians, Spider-Man, and Doctor Strange, and Stark and him started fighting 1 on 1? Thanos comments “all that for a drop of blood.” It’s hard to tell how much Thanos was ever really trying. In general I think people underestimate Thanos’s power level even without the Stones. He’s an Eternal, and an incredibly strong one at that.
Why did SHE not put on the infinity gauntlet when she held it??? Surely it wouldn’t have killed her.
It very well might have actually. It’s not stated if she’s immune to radiation, iirc. Thanos also accumulated the stones gradually, whereas absorbing the power of all six at once might be a little bit of a different story (he powered up a bit upon obtaining each stone). Thanos’s bloodline, in terms of lore, is created by Celestials, who also created the Infinity Stones. While it’s unclear how much of the this the MCU adapts, there’s plausible explanations for why Thanos was able to use the gauntlet relatively easily where others might have had trouble.

The time travel in general was a little shaky (when isn’t it?) but Tony Stark’s father worked with Hank Pym at SHIELD and presumably had some knowledge of Pym Particles and Pym’s experiments in the Quantum Realm in his database somewhere. Between Stark, Banner, and Lang, it’s not that much of a stretch they figured out how to use the Quantum Realm for time travel. For a time travel, it’s not the worst explanation ever. The part where Stormbreaker injured Thanos in IW but wasn’t able to kill him in later combat makes little sense, unless Thor was like temporarily powered up by absorbing the light of the star at the forge or something.

Last edited:

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
The part where Stormbreaker injured Thanos in IW but wasn’t able to kill him in later combat makes little sense, unless Thor was like temporarily powered up by absorbing the light of the star at the forge or something.
Or you know, maybe that five-year long-bender which left him with that sick dad bod made it a little challenging for him to be in peak combat shape.

MikeDawg

Banned deucer.
They didn’t even come close to beating / killing him on Titan. They came close to removing the glove, but that’s about it. Remember after Thanos beat the Guardians, Spider-Man, and Doctor Strange, and Stark and him started fighting 1 on 1? Thanos comments “all that for a drop of blood.” It’s hard to tell how much Thanos was ever really trying. In general I think people underestimate Thanos’s power level even without the Stones. He’s an Eternal, and an incredibly strong one at that.
Ah, that's fair. I guess that's just the cost of keeping him exclusively as a puppetmaster in the MCU until Infinity War. Even then we never saw him without the stones until End Game. Without knowing the thanos lore, it was really jarring to see all of these characters get upgraded to the max, especially captain marvel, then get inexplicably destroyed by a big chungus with a sword. I wish we were given some backstory on Thanos' natural power, because even in Gamora's flashbacks, he just had his armies kill everyone.

Soul Fly said:
Or you know, maybe that five-year long-bender which left him with that sick dad bod made it a little challenging for him to be in peak combat shape.
He could still swing the axe. lol So could cap.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The film (and the producers!) explicitly made the point that him having the dad bod was a non-issue.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's a stretch to believe that being dysfunctional-depressive, and wildly out-of-shape was a "non-issue". But sure, if you say so then it must be the case.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
talked about this with the lads in lc discord but marvel movies are all Fine which is the problem. by sheer corporate heft they both create themselves as objects of culture and define the standards by which they're judged (see the near-universal acclaim for all of them on the tomato website). which means they're only trying to be Satisfactory Entertainments which they can always accomplish through a well-defined narrative formula, intentionally presented in a bland / inoffensive visual grammar and dialogue. (as an aside this is why fan opinion of ""nontraditional"" marvel hero movies [black panther and captain marvel here] will always be a sort of cultural speech act -- if you liked / didnt like the others, there's only one thing different about these ones -- and also the phrases "virtue signalling" and "narrative" and "pandering" just really hit my ear wrong now). and the avengers movies are always neccessarily going to upset this by needing to be Bigger and More, but trade cohesion and sense-making for the cultural prominence and narrative investment built by the other ones. i guess it's kind of striking that most of the posts itc have talked about how the movie was executed instead of how it makes you feel. idk perhaps it's not For Me but is it good that this takes up so much cultural time and space? who is to say

Surgo

goes to eleven
It's a stretch to believe that being dysfunctional-depressive, and wildly out-of-shape was a "non-issue". But sure, if you say so then it must be the case.
Not sure what makes people think that being able to bench 350 pounds or not even matters in the slightest when your other powers include things like "throwing lightning around". In any case, the producers literally said in a Q&A that being fat or not was never his problem.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
Since responding to criticisms is now a thing in this thread:

In end game, Thanos said, "My future self collected all the infinity stones and snapped, so I know that acheiving my lifelong dream to save (half) the universe is not only possible, but also inevitable. But fuck that pussy shit my new dream is to kill Robert Downey Jr then blow up the earth, even tho I've never even seen iron man or any of the avengers before and have absolutely no reason to care.
2014 Thanos saw a future in which he was dead and the Avengers were in the process of undoing his work. The lesson he took from it was that killing half the universe wasn’t enough by itself because there was always a risk that the people who remembered what he had done would find a way to reverse it. His new “destroy and remake the universe” plan was a bit over-the-top, but the point of it was to eliminate that risk, and make sure that what he did was both inevitable and permanent.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah thanos literally said that in his opening speech, lol. Were you on a bathroom break mikedawg?

Endgame fans rise up itt

Not just the fact that they used time travel... But they didn't even use a Super hero for it. They simply... Had Tony Stark suddenly solve Time Travel flawlessly! With the exception of them making a joke out of it with Antman coming out different ages. Ridiculous! This movie sucked. There were good parts, but the movie sucked and IW was legendary.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
I'm probably going to watch the rerelease they're putting back into theaters next weekend since I never saw it on the first go. Looks like their easy cash-grab gave me a nice second chance!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)