Doubles OU Player of the Week #41 - Stax

by bitter chinese fruit thingys do you mean the one that taste like wine or the one that taste like an old tart?
what are you bringing to your next seasonals match?

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
by bitter chinese fruit thingys do you mean the one that taste like wine or the one that taste like an old tart?
what are you bringing to your next seasonals match?
uhh like old tart
next seasonals match I'm bringing a 4x fire type + goth + venusaur. It'll be a good team I swear

followup on melo's question about music asking for 5 songs as examples here you go plz no hate:

- something rei linked once and I liked it and found other stuff I liked
- Chopin is love
- favourite movie soundtrack, it's a movie about a mathematician with schizophrenia for anyone who wanted to know
- only anime I've ever watched and the music was the best part
- this singer's voice is soooooo gooooooood holy fuck too bad she doesn't release stuff anymore

edit: so apparently it automatically makes them youtube links... w/e

uhh like old tart
next seasonals match I'm bringing a 4x fire type + goth + venusaur. It'll be a good team I swear

followup on melo's question about music asking for 5 songs as examples here you go plz no hate:

- Chopin is love
- favourite movie soundtrack, it's a movie about a mathematician with schizophrenia for anyone who wanted to know
- only anime I've ever watched and the music was the best part
- this singer's voice is soooooo gooooooood holy fuck too bad she doesn't release stuff anymore

edit: so apparently it automatically makes them youtube links... w/e
I approve of chopin, and howl's but idk if i'd call that anime lolol

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
what has been your biggest threat to full trick room and how do you overcome it?
Probably my own poor building ability and forcing myself into frameworks. Generally I try to overcome this by forcing myself to build a certain way or by seeing other players (see: Stratos' hoopa-u fullroom) do things in a new way and realizing "oh I can do that"

In terms of matchups semiroom is kind of hard, but it's hard to generalize fullroom matchups because there's so many ways to build it. I'd probably also put talon on the threatlist to any fullroom team

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
uhh im decent like 1300s before I quit like 6 years ago but I still play quite a bit just not tours so maybe we can fite sometime idk

Also playing bughouse between chess rounds with a friend in some janky setup with lots of spectators was loads of fun way back :( no one plays bughouse with me anymore

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
hjk is a good move and it's been said to be a good option by multiple people besides myself ie Stratos and Mizu and the only people seriously thinking it's a bad move are rly bad players sooooo fuck right off

anyways m hjk f gravity k grasswhistle

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What really got me to stick around was probably this replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-41749581 of me playing someone who had a shitload of spectators on the singles ladder.
A lot of nostalgic names in there, I bet you're surprised that I was involved with that group!!!!
Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed
- Protect
Use Low Kick, especially w/ Life Orb, you get OHKOs on all the relevant stuff still kyurem, kang, hydreigon etc
fave song on that album?
also look up soutaiseiriron, halcali and mass of the fermenting dregs p good stuff tbh bbq
if you like epic fantasy novels (note this is unironic use of the word epic it's a fucking genre ok) you should read the black company, it's p good

i dont appreciate hjk being attributed to you i started this trend months ago but w/e man im just a washed up nerd

I approve of chopin, and howl's but idk if i'd call that anime lolol
"Howl's Moving Castle(Japanese: ハウルの動く城 Hepburn: Hauru no Ugoku Shiro?) is a 2004 Japanese animated fantasy film scripted and directed by Hayao Miyazaki."
ofc it is an anime wtf are you smoking

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
A lot of nostalgic names in there, I bet you're surprised that I was involved with that group!!!!
Use Low Kick, especially w/ Life Orb, you get OHKOs on all the relevant stuff still kyurem, kang, hydreigon etc
fave song on that album?
also look up soutaiseiriron, halcali and mass of the fermenting dregs p good stuff tbh bbq
if you like epic fantasy novels (note this is unironic use of the word epic it's a fucking genre ok) you should read the black company, it's p good

i dont appreciate hjk being attributed to you i started this trend months ago but w/e man im just a washed up nerd

"Howl's Moving Castle(Japanese: ハウルの動く城 Hepburn: Hauru no Ugoku Shiro?) is a 2004 Japanese animated fantasy film scripted and directed by Hayao Miyazaki."

really? I've always wondered who all those people were lol, what were they even doing and was it some kind of streamer or something?

Also low kick sounds good

Favourite song is probably the 10th one

I've listened to those groups and I liked them a lot too n_n

Black Company sounds cool, I just read the wikipedia page and it sounds cool

also yeah Howl's Moving Castle is definitely an anime lel

fave song on that album?

You don't need to know what I'm smoking ;)
But usually when people say they watch anime studio ghibli/animated films isn't really what comes to mind, especially if it's the only thing they have watched

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
Stratos has already said that hjk scrafty is a perfectly fine option

Also I wouldn't. Anyone who's used it or understands tr knows why I use hjk instead of drain punch. Low Kick is cool but is disappointingly weak on multiple targets.

uhh im decent like 1300s before I quit like 6 years ago but I still play quite a bit just not tours so maybe we can fite sometime idk

Also playing bughouse between chess rounds with a friend in some janky setup with lots of spectators was loads of fun way back :( no one plays bughouse with me anymore
fite me in chess i'm also washed up because i'm lazy as fuck
real talk tho can i have teams
also you said talon 2hkoes the only viable intimidate, won't it need like cb to 2hko even scarf lando?

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
fite me in chess i'm also washed up because i'm lazy as fuck
real talk tho can i have teams
also you said talon 2hkoes the only viable intimidate, won't it need like cb to 2hko even scarf lando?
Uhm I'm usually really transparent about the teams I have, replays/room tours will show you all the teams worth mentioning that I've built
If anyone wants a teamdump I could give them one or something idk. Usually no one wants to use mah squads tho cuz they're weird af anyways

It 2hkos landot without band it's a roll or w/e but hello

Also it still beats landot if both come out and you have tailwind bcuz you click tailwind and no one can stop your momentum because fucking ridiculous high speed priority is balanced and there's legitimate counterplay aka running shittom

I'm salty about the council vote on talon can anyone tell?

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Uhm I'm usually really transparent about the teams I have, replays/room tours will show you all the teams worth mentioning that I've built
If anyone wants a teamdump I could give them one or something idk. Usually no one wants to use mah squads tho cuz they're weird af anyways

It 2hkos landot without band it's a roll or w/e but hello

Also it still beats landot if both come out and you have tailwind bcuz you click tailwind and no one can stop your momentum because fucking ridiculous high speed priority is balanced and there's legitimate counterplay aka running shittom

I'm salty about the council vote on talon can anyone tell?
im interested in team drop. you can pm it to me if you want

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
Fite me in chess imo. Don't worry I'm only average at it :)!

Since you said you like to read, gimme 5-ish books you liked imo o,o
In your opinion, what seems to be a really underated mon in the meta and why?
Why haven't you received your 10 bucks yet?

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader

Interviewee #21 - pastelgameboy Pastelle
1. Hi! Who are you and could you give a little introduction of yourself?
Hello! My name is pastelgameboy (soon to be Pastelle cause 1. Pastel was taken, 2. pastelgameboy is long and stupid and 3. Oglemi hasn't changed it yet) / Molly (yes I am actually a girl) and I'm from Wisconsin.

2. Where did your username come from and why have you stuck with it?
I think it came from a picture I saw on Tumblr about a year ago. I was trying to maintain a kawaii pastel blog and I saw hipster picture on my dashboard of some girl holding a pale pink Gameboy. When it came time to come up with a username for Smogon I wanted something girly and semi-Pokemon related, and that popped into my mind for some reason. It is a little ironic that my "girly" name has the word boy in it lol. For clarification that blog no longer exists and I don't have the picture that inspired the name :[

3. When did you start playing competitive Pokémon, when did you start playing competitive Doubles, and why did you stick around?
I found out about Smogon and Showdown about a year and a half ago through Pokemon YouTubers I watched like TamashiiHiroka and theJWittz. I had no idea that competitive battling existed on such a massive scale, and it intrigued me. I messed around on Showdown for a few months, using terrible teams like Attract Simipour (*shivers*), trying out almost every singles tier. I then took a crack at Doubles because doubles was always my favorite type of battle in the actual game. I used more terrible things like Earthquake Hippowdon next to Discharge Eelektross (truly the dark ages), but it was around last August when I finally came into the Doubles room and asked for help with my Mega Medicham. I was then shocked of how nice everyone was to me, and I remember specifically thebagman and Pikov helping me build a good sun team. I actually still have that team saved. I felt so accepted and welcome despite being new and terrible. That's what made me stick to Doubles and try to get better, the people that welcomed me so graciously.

4. What is your favourite playstyle to use in Doubles, and why?
I don't know if I have a specific play-style I like more than another. I try different things all the time cause I personally think playing with one play-style all the time is predictable and boring. I've always really liked Rain and bulky "good-stuffs" because Rain and weather in general is just plain fun to play with, while "good-stuffs" is reliable and consistent, which can be fun as well. Check has been inspiring me lately to get back into fullroom, and I've built a few good teams with it. I know this answer sucks but my favorite play-style depends on which mons I'm into at the time, what I've seen or used recently, etc. In general though I really like weather and "good-stuffs".

5. What is your favourite Pokémon to use competitively and why? What is your favourite Pokémon overall and why?
Gah this is such a hard question because there's a lot of Pokemon that I love using. If I had to pick a competitive Pokemon, it would probably be Volcarona. It has great offensive typing and presence, nice resists, decent bulk, cool set-up, and in general is fantastic. Definitely the most underrated Fire-type in my opinion, its so great and no one talks about it. I also really loving using Aegislash and Kyurem-B cause they're so reliable and versatile.

As for personal favorite, I love cute pink Pokemon. They make me feel all warm and fuzzy and I just wanna snuggle with them. Some favorites include Clefable, Jigglypuff, Sylveon, Diancie, and Azumarill. I also love Braixen and Gengar cause they please me aesthetically.

6. Do you believe there is anything broken or suspect worthy in the current metagame?
Honestly I don't. I'm typically not the best judge of weather something is broken or not. Perhaps Skymin could be revisited someday, but otherwise nothing comes to mind.

I mean BAN ROCK SLIDE FLINCH REMOVE GENIES STOP SPORE 2K15 OP OP OP

7. With both Seasonals and Open both underway, who do you think are the favourites to win?
Oh boy to be honest I kind of forgot there were still happening lol. For Open I have to root for checkmater. He's one of my best buddies and he's so much fun to watch fight. As for Seasonals I'm rooting for xzern cause Manaphy rocks and he's a great player and friend. But good luck to all of you good players still in the running!

8. Could you give us a team that resembles your playstyle and could you give us a brief explanation of it?

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 208 Atk / 48 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 72 Atk / 168 Def / 24 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Detect

Volcarona @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 100 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Protect
This is a team that I originally built for the lame ass shit tour that Blood Totem was hosting. It actually turned out to be a decent team. This team has a nice balance of bulky and hyper offense, and Volcarona + Diancie have awesome offensive synergy and serve as the main damage dealers. Deoxys-A and Hydreigon provide some nice offensive coverage. Aegislash and Gyarados both serve as offensive support with Wide Guard and Taunt. Definitely one of the most offensive teams I've ever built, but fun to play with. Yeah it's pretty simple and there's not much else to say.

9. If you could change anything about Doubles, what would it be and why?
I think Doubles itself, both the tier and the community, are great. The one thing I would change however is the perception of us by other tiers. It seems like we aren't taken as seriously as say OU or VGC. Why exactly, I'm unsure. Maybe we meme too much, or maybe its because we aren't as official as singles, I really don't know. I guess in that sense maybe I wish the community and metagame could appeal to more people and welcome new members better. Maybe that would change the perception of us by other tiers, and maybe we could be taken more seriously.

10. What is your favourite part about the Doubles community, and why?
I think my favorite part about the Doubles community is how relaxed we are. Like any tier there can be drama between members and mods and whatnot, but in general we don't seem to be as uptight and regal as other tiers. Our leaders and mods are approachable and friendly, and never act snobby towards lower ranked members I feel. It makes Doubles feel more like a cool group of friends rather than a hierarchy system. This could however, be a reason as to why we have trouble maintaining and attracting new members. We're all pretty close-knit and it can seem intimidating to someone that's new. I mean we all are just nerds who play Pokemon in our free time, but its almost like cliques in high school. It can be hard or even scary to try to fit in, for a fear of being rejected. Its a double-edged sword, I guess.

11. Are there any other hobbies you have outside of playing Pokémon?
I have a lot of artsy hobbies. I love music, and play trumpet in my school's orchestra and wind ensemble. I also play a bit of ukulele, though its more for fun rather than for skill. I'm really into theatre as well, being an officer of the school drama club, and stage managing and acting in several shows and musicals. But, more traditional art like drawing is something I've been trying to get better at. I do a lot of Photoshop art with my tablet, trying hopelessly to be the next 13ulbasaur lol. I also do some baking and video game playing, and that's pretty much all I do.

I am trying to get some art stuff rounded up to create a big ol' fat art thread, so stay tuned ^_^

12. Is there anything else you would like to say or speak about?
There's been some Doubles drama going on lately, so how about we all get along and pick sunflowers together or something. Pokemon is a fun game we should all enjoy together, so lets put aside our differences and have some fun together ^_^ (pukes rainbows)

---
Thanks for the interview Pastel/Pastelle, hopefully should be back on track for getting the interviews up earlier from next week onwards :B

BTW check can still answer Memoric's questions

Last edited:

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
uhm sorry to butt in on Pastel's interview but lemme get these out of the way:

Fite me in chess imo. Don't worry I'm only average at it :)!

Since you said you like to read, gimme 5-ish books you liked imo o,o
In your opinion, what seems to be a really underated mon in the meta and why?
Why haven't you received your 10 bucks yet?
books: Name of the Wind (or just the whole series tbh), Xenocide, Thinking Fast and Slow, Emperor of All Maladies, MAUS

Underated mon: hard to pick but besides "I made a creative set and put it on one team why is no one using this thing" I think Diancie and Blaziken are two solid options I'd like to see used more

Cuz Arctic is literally johning me 100%. Like a week ago he told me he lost the card he bought :/ probably just spent it for himself after getting into league tbh

PASTELLL

1) When are you getting RO
2) why'd you change names? o.O
3) favourite song/music
4) When you get RO what is the first thing you'll do?
5) mfk Audio, Arctic, Stratos

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)