Doubles OU Player of the Week #41 - Stax

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
1. can I make an art request? :]
Yeah I guess, I can't guarantee you'd get it soon though cause I have other things to finish up

2. mfk check audio yoda
marry yoda, fuck audio, kill check (sorry check ;~;)

1) When are you getting RO
as soon as u get voice permanently

2) why'd you change names? o.O
I changed names because I was sick of pastelgameboy, and since most people call me Pastel anyways I figured I would just shorten it, kind of like what Hashtag did. The only problem is I wanted it to be the same on forums and PS, and Pastel is taken on forums. I settled on this name since its an alternative spelling and has a nice color on PS. I know that some people don't like it, but I like it, and that's all that matters.

3) favourite song/music
ooooh nelly this is a tough question. I listen to a lot of classical music, including Holst, Grainger, Reed, Beethoven, and others (I love Choplin too ). Also I love jazz from Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, and Miles Davis. Otherwise I love folk music from Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes. I also love classic rock from the Beatles, Pink Floyd, and Queen. Gah music is the best

4) When you get RO what is the first thing you'll do?
call out Stratos and not get banned for it ^_^

5) mfk Audio, Arctic, Stratos
marry arctic, fuck audio, kill stratos

when will this mfk shit die
give me two more people and I can make it die :]

Last edited:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
5. marry arctic, fuck audio, kill stratos
call me.

also technically all you need to call out stratos without gettin banned is mods.

my question: you said that you're into a lot of art stuff which is super cool (lookin forward to seein that thread). is that sort of thing something you're interested in further pursuing in your life or are you fine with it staying hobby status? if you are planning on pursuing it, any idea what form that would take?

actually second question: if you could be known for one thing within the doubles community, what would you want that to be and why?

Last edited:

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
1. What is your favorite non Pokemon game?
I play a lot of Nintendo games, and some of my favorites include Animal Crossing, Zelda, and Metroid. I play a lot of Xbox too and have inested way too much of my life into Skyrim and Assassin's Creed. If I had to pick a favorite game though, I think it would have to be Xenoblade Chronicles because that game is fun and a work of art.

2. Who inspired you the most when you had first started?
I think it was Kyle because when I first started I was terrified of the higher ranked auth because I thought they would make fun of me or something. I always wanted to impress them and make them like me so that maybe I could be like them someday. Seeing Kyle's YouTube channel not only helped me learn about doubles without actually approaching the scary auth, but it made me see that he was actually a cool guy that wasn't scary to talk to, and maybe other auth were more approachable than I thought as well. So yeah, Kyle inspired me a lot.

3. Which is better being the only driver or driving with shrop?
I don't really care that much tbh. I love shrop and I think he's a great player and guy, and I wouldn't want anyone else to "drive" with. However, it is fun to say I'm the only driver and make "I walk this lonely road" or "ALL BY MY-SEEEELLLLLEEELLLLFFF" jokes, but that's alright

4. Mute widdly?
I'll consider it.

you said that you're into a lot of art stuff which is super cool (lookin forward to seein that thread). is that sort of thing something you're interested in further pursuing in your life or are you fine with it staying hobby status? if you are planning on pursuing it, any idea what form that would take?
Actually yes. I'm really into graphic design and I'm currently planning on pursueing that in college. I am at the age of applying for college which is terrifying but I am excited to start learning how to do something I love and get a kickass job for. That's part of the reason I stuck around on Smogon. I can get some additional practice with drawing and graphic stuff for various projects.

if you could be known for one thing within the doubles community, what would you want that to be and why?
Since battling isn't my strong suit, I think it would be being a good presence. Wither its being helpful on forums and in the chat, or being the head of various community projects, I just wanna help people out and be respected for it.

that or be a better memer than trains

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader

Interviewee #22 - xzern

1. Hi! Who are you and could you give a little introduction of yourself?
Hi lol my name is xzern. I'm currently a high school junior in Florida. When I go fish farming, problems begin to manifest immediately. I'm jewish (tm), and I'm also really good at doubles, as everyone knows.

2. Where did your username come from and why did you stick with it?
I made the name when i was 9. I was signing up for Roblox, and I wanted the name "zoom," but I typoed and hit xz instead of just z. from there, I thought that xzoom looked retarded so I just added random letters that made the name look Cool and Mysterious. I stuck with the name through a few sites, just for the lack of a better name. There was one point when I started using the name MrLlamaLord on some sites instead, because i was an 11(?) year old in 6th grade and a disgusting human being. That name remained as my name on Skype and as my name on Minecraft. I gave my 7 year old brother my minecraft account and he was really happy with the name so i guess it paid off.

3. When did you start playing competitive Pokémon, when did you start playing competitive Doubles, and why did you stick around?
Back in the days of BW2, I was a big shofu fan. I was watching one of his videos when I came across a thumbnail that looked really weird; it looked like a Pokemon battle website. that site turned out to be Pokemon Showdown, and thats where I discovered that competitive pokemon was actually a big thing. After playing a few games of BW2 OU and losing to Sandslash more times than one, i make the SHOCKING realization that BW OU is horrible. I started playing NU instead because it was the tier that Zangoose (best mon) was viable in. I didn't really play it seriously at all, and i used Shelgon much more than I should have. This had been shortly before the release of XY, so for most of the time, I frequented the Pokemon XY room on showdown and rode the hype train. Eventually the room was split into wifi and in-game, but i stayed in the wifi room for the most part. I did nothing but trade mons and whatnot in the wifi room until I got room staff. As a result, i made a Smogon account so i could join the staff convo. Being on Smogon exposed me to competitive mons a bit more; as a result, i started frequenting some tier rooms, but mostly NU.

I started playing doubles after my interest in VGC had been peaked after worlds. Everyone, including myself, really wanted to be that next big VGC player, but it just wouldn't happen for me because of VGC's retarded ruleset and the fact that i cant drive. i discovered doubles once one of the wifi room owners, sops4nd, redirected me to the Doubles room as a joke. there was a room tour running, so i joined with my VGC team that i quickly optimized for 6v6. with the raw power of SD Mega Garchomp and Sludge Wave Gengar, I won the room tour and handsome user finally gave me roomvoice as a result.

4. You are one of only a few users to have a coveted custom avatar, how did you get yours and how did you decide what to make it?
I have the custom because I'm just really gosh dang cool (pardon my french!) and I have connections. I actually made the avatar myself in paint.net probably a year or two ago. The guy (oc plz dont steel !!) is wearing red stuff because thats a handsome color and he is sending out a zangoose because it is a handsome pokemon.

5. What is your favourite playstyle to use in Doubles, and why?
My favorite playstyle to use would have to be weather offense. I mean all kinds of weather offense; tailroom, semi TR, DUAL WEATHER, fullroom, HO, as long as it involves any kind of weather (but sand kinda sucks compared to the rest.) Having your own weather up just makes it a lot easier to manipulate momentum in your favor. Weather playstyles really fuck over unprepared teams, and being "prepared" for a weather team usually just means having 1 or 2 solid checks to it. A team that i've been using a lot recently in tours is my Manaphy hail team, which relies mostly on Manaphy spamming +3 blizzards in hail.

dual weather is really good

DON'T USE NINETALES

6. What is your favourite Pokémon to use competitively and why? What is your favourite Pokémon overall and why?
Competitively, my favorite pokemon is probably Keldeo. i literally have it on 99% of my teams. It fits ridiculously well on any team that i build other than tr because of its ability to beat Mega Kang and Landorus-T in the same slot. OHKOing Kang is something that anyone can appreciate. Overall my favorite pokemon is Zangoose because its really darn cool and it's the reason I got into Smogon, because i started playing NU just so I could use it in battle.

7. Do you believe there is anything broken or suspect worthy in the current metagame?
if I could ban anything right now it would be Mega Kang. It's simply way too strong; it can OHKO or 2HKO anything in the entire meta at +2, and the things that it doesnt 2HKO (Jirachi) cant beat it on its own. not even intimidating it can stop it; I honestly don't get why people consider Intimidate users to be even moderate checks to Kangaskhan because that just gives it a free turn to get a boost. An argument against banning it is that it can only target one mon at once, but did you see anyone using Hyper Voice Mega Mence before it was banned?? Targeting one mon isnt even that bad of a thing when you consider that a) its just that much stronger when it doesnt have to care about spread reduction and b) it still OHKOes/2HKOes them. Nobody fucking uses Gengar and Aegislash is not a check.

8. With both Seasonals and Open both underway, who do you think are the favourites to win?
I think some people with a decent chance of winning (other than the big known doubles people) are Yellow Paint and maybe Silverwhiteblue. I know Yellow Paint always pulls the really neat teams and knows what he's doing a lot of the time. he also plays Doubles UU so you know hes a really smart player. I dont know silver but he could probably get pretty far. I personally am trying pretty hard to get people to think im good by winning seasonals. Getting money from pokemon will be the best feeling ever because then i can truly say that my sets are cash.

9. Could you give us a team that resembles your playstyle and could you give us a brief explanation of it?

sandalphon (Politoed) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Scald

bardiel (Gothitelle) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Heal Pulse
- Protect

arael (Talonflame) @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Protect

gaghiel (Kingdra) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

matarael (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

israfel (Kangaskhan-Mega) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch
Gothitelle rainroom is a team that I built just last week and used in the last seasonals round. The concept behind it is that you can tear apart other weather teams with gothitelle by trapping the setter, bringing in toed, and killing it. gothitelle + ferrothorn is also really darn good because you can trap opps that are seeded and then give free recovery to a teammate. This is pretty cool for helping kang set up, which is also aided by heal pulse on goth.

10. If you could change anything about Doubles, what would it be and why?
If I could change one thing, it would be the community's attitude towards new players. Someone in the Doubles room would ask if Dragonite was viable and there'ss always that one person, room regular or not, who completely stops what they're doing just so they can say L0L DRAGONITE IS REALLY SUPER GOOD! This really doesnt happen with other tier rooms, and when one person says its good and one person says its bad it just causes confusion with the new person, discouraging them from playing the tier in the first place if the community is really this bad. I'm not saying that the community is bad, i think the opposite, but all the unfunny trolling that is put upon new users really makes it look like it.

11. What is your favourite part about the Doubles community, and why?
One thing about this FANTASTIC community that I like is how nobody takes anything extremely seriously, but things still get done. Its just a very laid back community where you can say what you think. In other tiers, theyre really anal about everything being done on time and whatnot, which can get really annoying.

12. Are there any other hobbies you have outside of playing Pokémon?
The only thing that really consumes my time other than pokemon and school is anime, but i dont think that watching anime counts as a """hobby.""" I used to play TF2 a lot but not so much anymore, but I'll probably get back into it eventually. there are also some games that ive been meaning to try out, like league and undertale.

13. Is there anything else you would like to say or speak about?
Play DUU

the manaphy is the powerhouse of the team

---
Thanks for the interview xzern :^] Keep looking forward to the weekly interviews as always everyone! \o/

Last edited:

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
why do you call everything handsome?
what happened to your driver, and when will you get it back so we can drive together?
why didn't you post your dank manaphy team?
will you make me a custom avi? ^_^
what's your favorite food and why?

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
besides manaphy, what is the most cash set ever?

when will doubles uu be a serious tier with suspects?

mfk Arcticblast, Hashtag, Mizuhime

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
why do you call everything handsome?
what happened to your driver, and when will you get it back so we can drive together?
why didn't you post your dank manaphy team?
will you make me a custom avi? ^_^
what's your favorite food and why?
so i can contrast it from the ugly standard mons (kang, lando)

my license got revoked after i injected 7 alchohols while behind the wheel

i didnt post manaphy because i dont want to reveal hp ground mega manectric

yes

the genitalia of the respected smogon dot com senior staff because they are exceptional human beings
besides manaphy, what are the most cash sets ever?

when will doubles uu be a serious tier with suspects?

mfk Arcticblast, Hashtag, Mizuhime

dazzling gleam diancie

hp water mega charizard y

"i will pay you five smackers to say 'when arcticblast starts being heterosexual'" - astroboy

m hashtag f arcticblast k mizuhime
if u could bang one of ur friends who would it be and why would it be me

are you ever gonna get a bird to replace jimmy

why am i so attractive
i would bang Electrolyte

hey guys if you hear some chirping in the background thats just my bird jimmy haha
also yes, eventually. post ideas for new bird names!

no

edit: live footage of jimmy:
no he is not dead

Last edited:

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
the dude in ur avatar is GAY lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how does it feel to know your chat presence can be summed up by this gif
wud u let kawaru pilot ur eva?
have you ever watched robson green's extreme fishing?
xzern said:
I used to play TF2 a lot but not so much anymore, but I'll probably get back into it eventually.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mikoaqt/ hmu i'll play some tf2, i have turboautism so i am p good tbh fam

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
xzern has an above average snapchat, but dont expect anything beyond one word responses from him

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
What is your favorite 'unviable' (or at least somewhat niche) pokemon to use?
What is one pokemon that everyone else seems to think is great but you just don't see it?
How can we finally get Mega Latias and Mega Camerupt suspected in DUU?

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
wow same! You have fine taste in men, ever consider trying the gay experience??? Only 24$ a month
add me on pandora
Who is your favorite memer?
What is your favorite meme?
Are you currently competing with iliketrains11 in the Doubles Room Memeing Voices Competition?
Do you like waffles or pancakes?​

the dude in ur avatar is GAY lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how does it feel to know your chat presence can be summed up by this gif
wud u let kawaru pilot ur eva?
have you ever watched robson green's extreme fishing?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mikoaqt/ hmu i'll play some tf2, i have turboautism so i am p good tbh fam
that pic is actually live footage of me posting in the doubles room

kaworu can initiate his third impact on me anytime

when i go fish farming problems begin to manifest immediately

i added you !!!
xzern has an above average snapchat, but dont expect anything beyond one word responses from him
add me on snapchat @ cr1tical
Needs more questions!!!

1. DUU room tour championship when?
2. Top 5 megas (DOU)?
3. Have you ever used Zangoose in Doubles?
4. Do you still play NU at all?
good question

1. diancie
2. lucario
3. char x/y
4. scizor
5. gengar (but ONLY on ninetales sun!!! ElegyOfVGC )

yes. solid mon that cant be para'd and ohkoes everything, but requires support (no shit.) heavily outclassed by kangaskhan but i will pump out more zangoose teams once kang gets banned finally

no nu has gotten kinda lame for me. the community dislikes me and its just a really weird meta compared to other singles metas (ou and ru)
What is your favorite 'unviable' (or at least somewhat niche) pokemon to use?
What is one pokemon that everyone else seems to think is great but you just don't see it?
How can we finally get Mega Latias and Mega Camerupt suspected in DUU?
even though its nowhere close to unviable, serperior is pretty fun to use and is a good pick on a good few of my teams. if you want to get more obscure, then i really like using mega scizor. it just has so much bulk in conjunction with sd + good initial attack but i can see why nobody really uses it. being a steel that doesnt switch in on diancie is pretty lame.

probably mega metagross. everyone praises it for being suuuch a great fast steel type but whenever i use it, its just let me down royally. i dont know what it is about it that just makes it so underwhelming for me. probably its bad stabs, if anything.

"when arcticblast starts being heterosexual" - astroboy 2015

xzern

for sure
Trapping + weather is so good right

mfk shiftry, ninetales, mgengar

why does every guy who kisses yoko die?
i CANNOT BELIEVE that yoko and kamina did not make mini kaminas
why are u a better tier leader than stratos, farticbuttblast, and mizuhime combined
Haha, what are you talking about? Mizuhime and Arcticblast make for excellent tier leaders and Smogon dot com Moderators because of their phenomenal tier-managing and desicion making capabilities.
Pass me some dubs UU teams and I'll play you.
here you go

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)