80 power is from 66 to 110 HP left
40 power is from 111 to 215 HP left
20 power is above 216 HP

posted july 18th, 2007 in the older research thread
is this accurate or is this accurate?

Peterko

Never give up!
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
OK we need everyone to check the item, ability and move analyses descriptions and point out mistakes (chaos wants to add them to the site)

if you´re not able to post in those topics, post here

EDIT: two things I found during the move descriptions check I think weren´t tested

1. brine - base power doubled if target´s current HP is equal to half of max HP or only lower?
2. blizzard in a hailstorm/thunder in rain = 100 accuracy or never misses? I tested it and 8/8 blizzards hit despite 6 sand attacks. Can someone else prove this?

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Empoleon - 353 Sp. Atk
Tangrowth - 139 sp. Def

Tangrowth is at 201/402 HP

Brine dealt 200 damage to Tangrowth which is impossible unless its power is doubled.

Peterko

Never give up!
thanks a lot, I had a strong feeling I didn´t test half HP back then

177-209 with double base power
89-105 with normal base power

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have a couple of questions about Fog.

1. If you send out a pokemon with the ability Keen Eye, with it cancel the accuracy drop from Fog?

2. Is Fog like Shadow Sky in Pokemon XD in the way that it doubles Weather Ball's power like a normal weather effect but changes it to the ??? type? Or if it's not that, then which type is it, and does it even double the power of Weather Ball?

3. How much does Fog drop accuracy by anyway?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
How do the type resist berries work with

a) standard multi-hit moves
b) Triplekick
c) Beat Up (does it even work at all with Beat Up?)

Do they only reduce damage from the first hit, or from all the hits?

Peterko

Never give up!
1. houndoom used beat up on partner starmie, LMAO starmie´s attack!, houndoom´s attack! etc., colbur berry didn´t activate, at all, no super effective message

good to know that you can beat up yourself :D

2. marowak used bone rush, the shuca berry lowered damage (or whatever it says) message once, hit twice, around 80 damage

which means
42 x 259 x 25 / 295 / 50) + 2 = 20; min 17
17-20 x 1.5 x 2 = 50-60 damage per hit without activation, 25-30 without

result: the type resist berries only activate for the first hit of the multi-hit move and are used up

In addition to the Sleep Talk routine I discovered earlier, I also found out this for Assist:

Uses a random move from a random Pokemon in user's party, other than the user and eggs.
Does not use the following attacks: Metronome, Struggle, Sketch,
Mimic, Chatter, Sleep Talk, Assist, Mirror Move, Counter, Mirror Coat, Protect, Detect,
Endure, Destiny Bond, Thief, Follow Me, Snatch, Helping Hand, Covet, Trick, Focus Punch,
Feint, Copycat, Me First, or Switcheroo.

Extra: Sleep Talk

From what I could discover from the Sleep Talk routine, here is how I word Sleep Talk's effect.

Uses one of the user's attacks, at random. Fails unless user is asleep.
Doesn't choose the following: Sleep Talk, Copycat, Assist, Me First, Metronome,
Mirror Move, Focus Punch, Uproar, Chatter, Bide, any two-turn attack, any move
the user cannot choose for use, or a move with zero PP. No PP is spent for the
move used.
Are you sure it CAN'T choose focus punch, or if it does, it fails? Someone claimed (though I don't know if anyone verified with something that only had sleep talk + focus punch or whatever) that they had sleep talk choose focus punch, but the move just failed.

Are you sure it CAN'T choose focus punch, or if it does, it fails?
Yes, I am sure. That is exactly what I extracted from the actual code routines for Assist and Sleep Talk. In fact, a quick test in response to your message (Sleep Talk/3x Focus Punch) confirmed my observations.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Poccil, since you're so good at extracting information from the games, can you please tell us how the confusion rate of Chatter is worked out? It is basically the move that we know the least about. Thanks.

Peterko

Never give up!
last night, half-asleep at around 2am I tested foresight, because I didn´t believe it worked for future evasion tries, anyway here is what I found out

1. everyone telling me one foresight nullifies evasion past and future was right, sableye was still able to use double team with the "rasied evasion" message but it actually didn´t raise evasion because machop was able to hit it everytime

2. I though it removed the ghost type completely, but I was wrong again - normal and fighting attacks ignore the ghost type, karate chop hit sableye for super effective damage and gastly NVE, all other types don´t ignore it (shadowball SE against foresighted gastly)

Peterko

Never give up!
the only difference between the assist research and poccil´s list was endeavor, it was under "can´t call up" moves on the first page, I tested it to make sure and endeavor can be assisted, so that was a mistake...anyway, thanks poccil for the list, added it to the descriptions (analyses)

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
1. everyone telling me one foresight nullifies evasion past and future was right, sableye was still able to use double team with the "rasied evasion" message but it actually didn´t raise evasion because machop was able to hit it everytime
Are you sure it wasn't a No Guard Machop?

Here is what I found out so far for Chatter:

If the user is a Chatot, Chatter may confuse the opponent depending on whether the user's cry has changed. Chatot's cry is stored at memory address 0x22736EC (outside of battle). Apparently, the game compares the (signed) byte located 19 bytes away, at memory address 0x22736FF (I will call it X).
  • If X is greater than or equal to -30 and is less than 30, or if Chatot's cry is the default one, the confusion chance is (0+1)%.
  • If X is less than -30, the confusion chance is (10+1)%.
  • If X is greater than or equal to 30, the confusion chance is (30+1)%.
Memory locations of Chatot's cry during battle:
  • 0x2298180 (Player's Pokemon)
  • 0x229858C (Enemy Pokemon)
This may also explain why other moves can't use Chatter -- because of the special mechanics of Chatot and its cry.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Here is what I found out so far for Chatter:

If the user is a Chatot, Chatter may confuse the opponent depending on whether the user's cry has changed. Chatot's cry is stored at memory address 0x22736EC (outside of battle). Apparently, the game compares the (signed) byte located 19 bytes away, at memory address 0x22736FF (I will call it X).
  • If X is greater than or equal to -30 and is less than 30, or if Chatot's cry is the default one, the confusion chance is (0+1)%.
  • If X is less than -30, the confusion chance is (10+1)%.
  • If X is greater than or equal to 30, the confusion chance is (30+1)%.
Memory locations of Chatot's cry during battle:
  • 0x2298180 (Player's Pokemon)
  • 0x229858C (Enemy Pokemon)
This may also explain why other moves can't use Chatter -- because of the special mechanics of Chatot and its cry.
Okay, so Chatter can have either 1%, 11% or 31% confusion rate, if I get this correctly. Am I right?

This corresponds with yamipoli's Chatter test... she got only 2 confusions out of around 64 Chatters using the default Chatot cry. Then she changed its cry and got a significantly higher percentage (probably near the 11% one).

Peterko

Never give up!
nice research poccil

so...what affects X? do I have to change the cry and try my confusion rate until I have 31%?

As I could further tell from the nature of the cry:

The game takes 1000 bytes of input from the microphone, each sample taking one byte. Then the game filters this input so it fits into 500 bytes, with 4 bits per sample. The X which I mentioned above refers to the 15th byte (counting from 0) of this filtered input, and thus, very near the beginning of the cry. This is the result of filtering bytes 30 and 31 (also counting from 0) of the original input. The nature of the filtering function is perhaps beyond the scope of this topic, but a more detailed article is available on my site.

One last thing I should note: Chatter can't cause confusion if Transform is in effect for the user.

This may be coincidence, but every time I've been Whirlwinded out in Pokémon Diamond, the move recalls the Pokémon that was sent out most recently. Could somebody please look into it to test if it was sheer luck, or part of the actual mechanics of Whirlwind (and presumably Roar, too)?

Has anyone tested a flying type smeargle using Roost. To test just get a smeargle and skill swap Color Change to it. Use gust on it and make it flying type, than have smeargle roost.

Roost might just remove flying types weaknesses and resistances, not the actual type.

ON TOPIC: What happens if you have a Smeargle with Conversion and Roost, who uses Conversion, becomes pure Flying type, and then uses roost, removing the Flying part. Does it become the first ever ??? type? I thought the idea up when I was thinking of ways to test the weaknesses/resists of ??? types without hacking.
This made me lol so much for some reason... anyway I'm moving a smeargle into my Pearl version and will test this asap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)