DP Research Thread #3 ("Newer")

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rivalry's effect is based on the target's gender. Switching has no relevance, all that matters if the gender of the Pokemon your attack hits.

I don't know if this has already been tested but:

A fatal Knock Off or Thief can be survived with Focus Sash (presumably band as well).

Knock Off and Thief can trigger the Colbur Berry.

Pluck does trigger the Coba Berry.

Presumably Bug Bite and Covet have similarly appropriate behavior.

Also, Focus Sash (and presumably Focus Band as well) can save you from hurting yourself in confusion.

User Sandslash did the testing with Thief.

A fatal Knock Off or Thief can be survived with Focus Sash (presumably band as well).

probably due because it checks for fainting before move effects

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Yeah, it goes damage then effects- Confirming, I've had people try Knock Off on me when I used to run lv1 Endeavor 'Tatta as my opening Poké against kids at school.

Also, Focus Sash (and presumably Focus Band as well) can save you from hurting yourself in confusion.
I'm really surprised at this.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have a question about Me First. If you Me First something that has STAB, do you get the 1.5x boost from Me First AND the 1.5x boost from STAB?

An example would be if something such as Lickilicky uses Me First on a Bronzong using Explosion. Would it essentially get STAB to the power of 2 on its Explosion?

I have a question about Me First. If you Me First something that has STAB, do you get the 1.5x boost from Me First AND the 1.5x boost from STAB?

An example would be if something such as Lickilicky uses Me First on a Bronzong using Explosion. Would it essentially get STAB to the power of 2 on its Explosion?
I don't see why not. BTW, would that be enough power to OHKO the example Bronzong? Not that it matters, as if it lived, Bronzong would just blow up and hit nothingness.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Of course it would, Explosion halves defense so that give it 500 BP, then STAB is 750 BP and 1.5x from Me First is 1125 BP...that would completely annihilate it. It would obviously only be useful in 2v2 battles Me First your opponent's explosion and having your ally protect to annihilate everything.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yes, Me First uses the move that the opponent was going to use. STAB and effectiveness are catered for normally.

Example 1: Lucario with Me First versus Rhydon.

Lucario used Me First!
Lucario used Earthquake! (Rhydon was gonna use EQ)
It's super effective! (x1.5 for Me First, x2 for weakness)
Rhydon fainted!

Example 2: Lucario with Me First against Hariyama.

Lucario used Me First!
Lucario used Brick Break! (Hariyama was gonna use BB)
(x1.5 for Me First, x1.5 for STAB)
Hariyama used Brick Break!
It's super effective!

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
This video shows a couple of things or two that I don't think they had been completely confirmed yet:

- Heal Block blocks Ingrain.

- If you're in a mirror match, you can "Transform" into "yourself", but of course your moveset changes.

- By using Transform against a boosted opponent, you also gain those boosts and can't boost any further (in the case that the opponent had already maxed out that stat).

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Graviton: Hmm
Graviton: That's a question
Colin: suppose you use Stockpile and then Haze
Colin: what happens?
Graviton: If you BP +6 Defenses to a Pokemon, then Stockpile up 3 times, then Spit Up...

Both of our questions are basically testing the same thing, but may have different results. :toast:

obi

formerly david stone
If a faster Pokemon uses U-Turn, and the slower Pokemon uses Pursuit, then the U-Turner takes a double power Pursuit. If the U-Turner faints to this Pursuit, however, does it still do damage with U-Turn, or does Pursuit damage before U-Turn?

In game, U-turn hits first and then pursuit, on shoddy, iirc, pursuit hits before U-turn.

So in game, the faster U-turner will still deal damage, even if they would faint to pursuit after, but shoddy treats it like a switch and hits before U-turn deals damage.

Just wondering...

[NAME]
Magic Coat
[SHORT DESC]
Bounces back certain non-damaging moves.
[LONG DESC]
The following moves will not affect the user of Magic Coat, but rather, are bounced back at their user:

* All moves that induce status as their only effect (including Yawn), except Teeter Dance
* All moves that alter the target's stats (including Flatter and Swagger)
* Attract
* Block
* Gastro Acid
* Leech Seed
* Mean Look
* Spider Web
* Worry Seed
Magic Coat bounces back moves that don't do direct damage and that just affect the user. So wouldn't it bouce back Taunt?
I can't test it now, but the "certain" in the short description makes feel wrong.

Can you explain two things for me? I know how soft-resetting works but how does it work in the case of the following:
1)Cresselia, who runs away Do you have to reset to the point in which you first saw it or does it change everytime you see it?
2)Can you soft reset on the fossils, meaning that everytime you pick up the fossil, it changes?
Thanks

1) pokemon who run IVs are set when you first met them and are always the same regardness of when you catch them the only way is to save before you meet them and then try to catch them check and then if its no good start the long process of catching it again

2) yes you can soft reset for fossils you could since the first games :O

StrangerDanger

RETURN TO COMPETITIVE POKEMON ISLAND
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Even though this is completely pointless, i thought it'd be odd if someone else had found it--

In a metronome battle, i discovered that the 'attack' Splash cannot be used under the effects of gravity.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Serebii's site says that Water Spout/Eruption cannot critical hit... is that true?

It's not. I just tried it and my Kyogre's Water Spout could Critical Hit and my Camerupt's Eruption could as well.

obi

formerly david stone
Can Future Sight / Doom Desire ever get a critical hit? If they do so, does it give the message upon targeting or upon striking?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)