DP Research Thread #3 ("Newer")

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, as far as I can tell, you just multiply the separate mods together. I wonder if, for instance, you can have a move with 97.5% accuracy, or if it rounds off to 97%. This is likely completely untestable, though.

Yeah, as far as I can tell, you just multiply the separate mods together. I wonder if, for instance, you can have a move with 97.5% accuracy, or if it rounds off to 97%. This is likely completely untestable, though.
Hahaha, not worth testing anyway. But the formula I posted would work, would it not? I understand it's not the most researched topic, due to Evasion Clause out there 90% of the time, but is "as far as I can tell" good enough? I'm wondering because I'm working on a guide (In-Battle
Stats), and I have all the boosts and drops and all, just not 100% sure of the exact Accuracy/Evasion formula; how it all comes together really.

I'm not sure if anyone has thought to test this, but considering that underburden works like an agility for drifblim, could it be possible that drifblim could pass this boost of speed?

Well the answer to this is no, sadly. And I had a pretty good moveset for such a drifblim.

I'm a bit confused about the effects of Zoom Lens. Everywhere I've checked on the internet says that it increases accuracy, but the game itself says it raises critical-hit ratio.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
I'm not sure if anyone has thought to test this, but considering that underburden works like an agility for drifblim, could it be possible that drifblim could pass this boost of speed?

Well the answer to this is no, sadly. And I had a pretty good moveset for such a drifblim.
Yeah, it's been tested before. Such a shame. It works insanely well with Endure+Salac though, after a few stat-ups (stockpile anyone?), to almost guarantee a first-move BP to something more naturally bulky, and a +1 speed to boot. But this isn't the place to talk strategy I guess >_>

Has anyone actually tested the unburden speed boost? I had heard it was actually unconfirmed, and never saw it tested after that (though I keep my eyes on this topic like a hawk).

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Okay, so the formula for a move's hit is as follows :

Normal Move Accuracy x User's Accuracy Mod x Foe's Evasion Mod

Okay, that's all fine and good if only move or Berry Mods are in effect. Now what about things like Bright Powder, or Sand Veil? Or even Hustle or Compoundeyes? Would the full formula be something like this :

(Normal Move Accuracy x Ability Mod x Item Mod x Gravity Boost) x User's Accuracy Mod x Foe's Evasion Mod x Ability Mod x Item Mod

Is there anything I am not accounting for?
Item and ability accuracy are multiplied at the end. So against a Snow Cloak Pokemon under Hail conditions, you multiply by 0.8 at the end, say, with Compoundeyes, you multiply by 1.3 at the end, etc.

Will a Ditto vs. Ditto NOT end up in a struggle battle? (i.e. Ditto 1 uses transform making PP 5, same for Ditto 2. transform again and still 5?) If I'm thinking correctly, if Ditto was both your last pokemon then it would be a never ending match. Sorry if this is in the wrong area but I didn't see it under moves or things that needed testing.

Thats correct, Ditto vs Ditto will never end because Transforming the others Transform will replenish their PP everytime.

Has anyone actually tested the unburden speed boost? I had heard it was actually unconfirmed, and never saw it tested after that (though I keep my eyes on this topic like a hawk).
Unburden's speed boost is locked to Drifblim only. Even if you used up your item and got the boost if you used Recycle to recover the item Drifblim would lose its Unburden boost till you lose it again.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
Unburden's speed boost is locked to Drifblim only. Even if you used up your item and got the boost if you used Recycle to recover the item Drifblim would lose its Unburden boost till you lose it again.
I meant the actual amount the speed is boosted, I was aware of those facts. I had heard someone say it was 2x, but someone else said it was untested. I have not seen it tested since then.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thats correct, Ditto vs Ditto will never end because Transforming the others Transform will replenish their PP everytime.
I thought it was impossible to Transform into a Pokemon that is itself Transformed.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
In Emerald you cannot transform into a Transformed Pokemon. Just by coincidence I tested that last night while messing around with Ditto. A wild Ditto transformed into my Ditto then my Ditto's Transform kept failing. The wild Ditto could still use Transform. The wild Ditto didn't run out of PP and the battle lasted longer than 5 turns so it was constantly getting it's PP reset to 5 after each Transform. I don't have access to me DS at the moment so can't confirm this for DP.

I meant the actual amount the speed is boosted, I was aware of those facts. I had heard someone say it was 2x, but someone else said it was untested. I have not seen it tested since then.
It should be 2x otherwise my Drifblim wouldn't keep outrunning Aerodactyl's, Jolteon, Crobat and Infernape's 100% of the time after its boost in wifi battle tower. Mine has no speed ev's and 31 spd IV for the record so its got 196 speed.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I have a question. If you have a Ditto use Transform on a Smeargle and you get Sketch out of the transform, does it only have 1 PP, or does it have the normal 5 PP from every other Transformed move?

Furthermore, can you use the Sketch from the Smeargle to permanently Sketch a move from something if the one using Sketch is a transformed Ditto?

obi

formerly david stone
This worked in GSC and early Japanese versions of DP. This was fixed in later Japanese versions and all English versions so that Sketch always fails if used while under the effects of Transform.

Well, actually, if Transform can be Sketched, can you Transform a Smeargle into another Smeargle with Sketch and use Sketch (so in other words, is it the fact that the Pokemon isn't Smeargle that makes Sketch fail, or the fact that it is under the effects of Transform?)?

obi

formerly david stone
Moving over some old, apparently unanswered questions again. After I finish with this post, I'm going to update the first post.

Alienjesus said:
does metronome (item) increase the power of moves activated through other moves?

examples:
copycat
mirror move
metronome(move)
assist
sleep talk

also could you test for if one of these moves does the same move more then once eg sleeptalk using rock slide twice, and if they use different moves, eg assist using energy ball, then waterfall etc.

Aielyn said:
12. If you Skill Swap Normalise onto another pokemon, does it still normalise, or does it actually change all moves to STAB? If a Ghost type pokemon is skill swapped Normalise, what happens with Curse (does it retain ghost effects, or does it become a stat-changing curse)? Does it override Hidden Power type or Natural Gift type, or other varying-type moves?

13. In 2 vs 2, if two Shadow Taggers are brought out on opposing teams, do they lock the other two pokemon in, or allow switching?

31. If a Ditto holding a Light Orb Transforms into a Pikachu, does it gain the boost? Of course, same question applies to other examples, such as transforming into Chansey with the Lucky Punch, or a Lati with the Soul Dew.

Alternately, if a Pikachu is holding a Light Ball and somehow Transforms into a non-Pikachu, does it keep the boost?

33. If a pokemon that can change types has Miracle Eye applied to it, and then it changes to Dark type, can psychic types hit it? Of course, same question applies to Foresight and Ghost/Normal/Fighting types.
Atlas said:
just wondering, if you fling an item at a pokemon that has sticky hold (and who is itemless), would it keep the item on him.
Footnote said:
I had a related question that I haven't had the opportunity to test yet. If a Pokémon with Sticky Hold flings an item, do they lose it, or does it yo-yo back to them? A long-shot, but it would be neat if it worked. I think only Muk can take advantage of it, though.
Aielyn said:
Will the Metronome item give the boost if you U-turn to a pokemon holding it, then U-turn using that pokemon?
How do Triple Kick and Metronome interact?

Does Life Orb trigger recoil from Endeavor?

Veekun database effect description for Metronome:
Randomly selects and uses any move in the game. Counter, Covet, Destiny Bond, Detect, Endure, Focus Punch, Follow Me, Helping Hand, Metronome, Mimic, Mirror Coat, Protect, Sketch, Sleep Talk, Snatch, Struggle, Thief, and Trick are exempt.

Should we get some other sort of verification, or just accept this?

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Veekun database effect description for Metronome:
Randomly selects and uses any move in the game. Counter, Covet, Destiny Bond, Detect, Endure, Focus Punch, Follow Me, Helping Hand, Metronome, Mimic, Mirror Coat, Protect, Sketch, Sleep Talk, Snatch, Struggle, Thief, and Trick are exempt.

Should we get some other sort of verification, or just accept this?

It's doubtful that that's complete. None of those are 4th gen moves. Covet and Trick are on the list but Switcharoo isn't.

I have a question:

When was breeding adamant ralts for gallade i could never get the likes to thrash about characterisitc (31atk) even though the parents each had triple flawless(but none in atk).I first thugh meh it just me being unlucky. Until i got a ralts with a likes to thrash about characteristic (took me 8 boxes).I replaced the father with that and the rate of likes to thrash about characteristics sky rocketed in my egg hatchings...

So what im trying to say does having a parent with a favorable characteristic make it easier to pass down that favorable characteristic? I thought ivs were given randomy from both parent but things might have changed.

Togekiss: Body Slam?

How do you learn body slam with togekiss?

I read an analysis on this site and it said that togekiss can learn bodyslam, but i have been unable to find anyway in game to learn it.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
How do you learn body slam with togekiss?

I read an analysis on this site and it said that togekiss can learn bodyslam, but i have been unable to find anyway in game to learn it.
Emerald/FR/LG. Body Slam is incompatible with Nasty Plot

Item and ability accuracy are multiplied at the end. So against a Snow Cloak Pokemon under Hail conditions, you multiply by 0.8 at the end, say, with Compoundeyes, you multiply by 1.3 at the end, etc.
Okay, so the formula would work more like so :

Normal Move Accuracy x Gravity Boost x User's Accuracy Mod x Foe's Evasion Mod x Accuracy Ability Mod x Evasion Ability Mod x Accuracy Item Mod x Evasion Item Mod

Now, I assume Gravity stays where it is, as you didn't mention anything wrong with that. And by "at the end" I assume it still stays in order, does it not (Accuracy, then Evasion)?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
yamipoli informed me that the Gravity mod is actually a 2-level evasion drop. Apparently she has a friend who is capable of looking into the ROM for these things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)