DP Tangrowth

I was looking for a bulky sweeper to use in one of my teams, and a friend of mine said that a Choice Specs Leaf Storm from Tangrowth OHKO'd Garchomp, so I thought I might make a set.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/tangrowth

[SET]
Name: Choice Specs Tangrowth
Move 1: Leaf Storm
Move 2: Focus Blast
Move 3: Hidden Power Fire
Move 4: Ancientpower
Item: Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
EV's: 20 HP / 252 Def / 236 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Choice Specs Tangrowth is meant to be used as a bulky sweeper, similar in fashion to that of Suicune. The main attraction of this set is it's ability to counter Garchomp effectively.</p>

<p>Leaf Storm is the move of choice here, OHKO'ing Garchomp, Suicune and Bulky Gyarados 92.31% of the time with Stealth Rock support. Also, Leaf Storm 2HKO's Bulky Gyarados after the Special Attack drop 100% of the time, while it will only ever 4HKO Tangrowth in return with Ice Fang, assuming it rolls maximum damage every turn. Tyranitar is OHKO'd easily by Focus Blast, while Tyranitar 3HKO's with Crunch. Metagross, Celebi, Bronzong are all defeated 1 on 1 easily.</p>

<p>With the given EV's, Tangrowth is only 3HKO'd by +0 Jolly/Adamant Garchomp Outrage. Ancientpower is mainly filler, but it does easily 2HKO Salamence and Dragonite.</p>

<p>Running 92 Spe EV's outspeeds minimum speed Tyranitar, which can be handy. The extra bulkiness is preferred on the set however.</p>

I don't see the use of Ancientpower on this set to be honest, I feel that it doesn't really add any coverage for Tangrowth. I would say include it in the set comments but make Grass Knot the main and only option.

Next, I don't really see the point in EVing to outspeed min speed Tyranitar, there really isn't any need since Tangrowth wouldn't outrun other variants with that spread. I feel that putting those 92 Spe EVs into Def or HP would be more worthwhile.

Interesting set. I think a Choice Band set would be more effective though.

Body Slam- can paralyze target to enable Tangrowth to attack first
Power Whip- STAB and 120 base power? Pwnage
Earthquake- good coverage, hurting Poisons resisted to Power Whip
Brick Break- takes care of ice types like Weavile thinking they can shard him to death/Tyranitar

Simply put all SpA EVs into plain old Attack. I'm not sure Power Whip will OHKO Garchomp, but you can attack repeatedly with it and its high BP.

For the last slot, I'd consider placing Shock Wave as an option for people who decide to use Hidden Power Fire. Shock Wave will always OHKO Gyarados when Stealth Rocks are in play and it will give you some coverage against just as much coverage as Ancient Power against every Flying type but Zapdos. Really when it comes down to it, it seems like the last slot in this set is mostly filler but I felt it was worth a mention.

Also, I don't see the worth of Grass Knot on this set. Maybe you could explain why in the set comments in order to help the reader understand.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was looking for a bulky sweeper to use in one of my teams, and a friend of mine said that a Choice Specs Leaf Storm from Tangrowth OHKO'd Garchomp, so I thought I might make a set.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/tangrowth

[SET]
Name: Choice Specs Tangrowth
Move 1: Leaf Storm
Move 2: Focus Blast
Move 3: Hidden Power Ice/Fire
Move 4: Ancient Power/Grass Knot
Item: Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
EV's: 56 HP / 124 Def / 236 SpA / 92 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This came about as a need for a bulky sweeper capable of defeating common threats in the metagame. To that extent, Choice Specs Tangrowth seemed a decent choice.</p>

This is a bit personal for analysis. Don't talk about how you "came up with" the set; what's important is that the set simply exists.

<p>Leaf Storm is the move of choice here, OHKOing Garchomp, Suicune and Bulky Gyarados 92.31% of the time with Stealth Rock support. Also, Leaf Storm 2HKO's Bulky Gyarados after the Special Attack drop 100% of the time, while it will only 4HKO Tangrowth in return with Ice Fang. Tyranitar is outsped and OHKOed easily by Focus Blast, while Tyranitar only has a slight chance of 2HKO with Crunch. Metagross, Celebi, Bronzong are all defeated 1 on 1 against the Hidden Power Fire variant, while Hidden Power Ice is your best weapon against Salamence and Dragonite. (Keep in mind LO Flamethrowers will OHKO)</p>

Watch the apostrophes. Does Leaf Storm OHKO Tyranitar too? Mention calcs on him too

<p>With the given EVs, Tangrowth is only 3HKOed by an unboosted Jolly Garchomp Outrage, and 2HKOed by Adamant Garchomp Outrage only 33.66% of the time. Ancientpower is mainly filler, but it does easily 2HKO Salamence and Dragonite. Grass Knot is an option simply as a more reliable Grass attack, not forcing you to switch with the Special Attack drops.</p>
Mention Focus Blast's main use on this set (hitting Steels hard). AncientPower hits Fliers hard, so it's actually a good option on this set.

Since ice was mainly only for salamence/dragonite, and you said ancient power 2HKO's them then why have hp ice at all? Why not just keep it at mainly with hp fire and ancientpower, leaving out grass knot and hp ice.

Yea.. HP Fire should be the primary option IMO. AncientPower already hits Mence and Nite, so HP Ice isn't very necessary.

With Stealth Rock support, it will hinder Mence and Nite's ability even more..

One issue with a CB set is that Power Whip has less accuracy (85%). Coupled with Sand Veil, you are risking missing.

The Extra EVs needed to OHKO Chomp would have an impact on either the Speed or the general bulkiness of Tangrowth.

But yeah, the preferred set is Leaf Storm/HP Fire/AncientPower/Focus Blast. Ice Proves rather unuseful. I still want those HP EVs in Def - It won't be taking Special Hits

Looks good. I would use Ancientpower over Shockwave though... any reason why Shockwave is used? Leafstorm should do a hefty amount to Gyarados already...

Garchomp also has 10 more base Defense than SDef, and Tangrowth has 10 more base Sp. Attack than Attack. FYI Power Whip does around 78% on average to the standard Garchomp. So you'll definitely be 2HKOing at best, and relying on an 85% accurate move with Sandstream up will turn that into a 3HKO more often than you'd like. Stick to Specs.

I still don't see the point of Ancientpower as a filler, when Tangrowth can use HP Ice + Grass Knot and still hit fliers bar Moltres, and have a more reliable Grass move against the likes of Gyarados and Tyranitar, not risking the SpA drop or the lackluster accuracy of Leaf Storm.

I think 40 HP/216 Def/252 SpA is better. It maximizes Defense after maxing out Special Attack. Either that or the less useful 240 HP/16 Def/252 SpA that allows it to take four Seismic Tosses (though the former option is better).

The SpA EV's still guarantee the KO's where needed, while allowing for extra bulkiness leading to a definate 3HKO from Adamant Garchomp, compared to the probable 2HKO. (33.66% or something along those lines)

Hidden Power Fire is the main choice over Ice for the reasons discussed, it covers more threats. Salamence and Dragonite, although it would be nice to OHKO, with that base 50 SpD, it won't be taking a LO Flamethrower/Fire Blast kindly. Ancientpower is indeed filler, but I do suppose Grass Knot can be considered.

Would it still be possible to fit in enough speed to outrun swampert without losing too much defensive capability? It is so annoying having a 0 speed tangrowth, swampert often stays in on it (don't ask ME why) and ice beam does a little over 50%. And if tangrowth loses a good chunk of it's health, which is permanent damage, it cannot stop threats as easily.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ancientpower is there so that you can still hit Salamence very hard when runnig HP Fire, which in general is the best HP type available.

If you say Ancient Power is just a Filler, why isn't Sleep powder being considered as an option? Putting a pokemon to sleep, seems like better coverage than any attack would offer.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ancientpower isn't horrible. It actually hurts Zapdos and other Flying-Pokemon and that alone should be the reason to consider it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)