Pokémon Dracovish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Band is better if you're running rain as his nuke get turned into a nova, you can use without rain as it still hits pretty hard but it's a bit slow so I suggest you use a scarf on non-rain teams as it will be faster than a lot of stuff while hitting very hard with Fishious Rend.
imo it's actually the reverse
dracovish's strength is just barely not enough to 2HKO max defense ferro and pex without band when not in rain
however rain's added damage boost allows dracovish to meet that threshold, giving it the freedom to run scarf and outspeed and kill more mons

I’m not sure if I’d run Adamant on Scarf sets if the aim is to have a better offense matchup. Adamant only outpaces up to Jolly Dugtrio (which is nice, actually), but things like Modest Dragapult, +1 Adamant Gyarados, opposing Jolly Barraskweda outside of Rain, and just about every other scarfer in the meta will outspeed and cut FR’s power in half, although that last point applies to Jolly Scarf, too.

Personally, this mon reminds me a lot like Crawdaunt minus the priority, where it’s better used as a breaker on rain to bust through the fat mons so the other Swift Swimmers have a better time sweeping through a battered team. The fact this mon can OHKO Galarian Corsola in Rain w/ a Band is something Barraswekda truly appreciates, for example.

This mon is really hot. Been messing around with both band and scarf and its such a nice breaker to have. Given enough opportunities it can absolutely demolish slower teams and if it gets and free switch-ins it can really do a number to almost everything. Only real issue with its mon is that its held back by its low speed. Even with that said scarf vish on rain is still super strong and makes up for its shortcoming. Particularly wondering if Sand rush vish will be decent when that comes out. Given how good sand is in this gen being pressured by vish sand sounds absolutely terrifying. I've been running a spread with enough speed to outpace ada max speed ttar since 222 speed seems to be a decent benchmark to hit.

Also the fact that fishious rend can benefit and punish the opposing side trying to generate momentum is crazy.

I’m tempted to try this thing out in Trick Room, but its speed is just outside normal range. TR would love something that absolutely maximizes its turns. Is the raw power, which seems nuts, worth trying to mess with this thing’s speed to bring its insane power to TR? In place of say, something like Craw?

I’m tempted to try this thing out in Trick Room, but its speed is just outside normal range. TR would love something that absolutely maximizes its turns. Is the raw power, which seems nuts, worth trying to mess with this thing’s speed to bring its insane power to TR? In place of say, something like Craw?
You might want to go with Arctovish in that case. Much slower (base 55), same Attack stat, and while it doesn't have Strong Jaw, Water Absorb is still a fine ability that brings free switch ins (including a very valuable Scald immunity). Plus, Arctovish has arguably a better movepool, with access to Icicle Crash, Stone Edge, Iron Head, Zen Headbutt, and Super Fang.

since someone earlier said something about ohko ing galar corsola in rain i just wanted to point out that my jolly banded fishious rend ohkod galarian corsola outside of rain. maybe their evs were off but like yea that happened so i dont think rain is necessary for that

since someone earlier said something about ohko ing galar corsola in rain i just wanted to point out that my jolly banded fishious rend ohkod galarian corsola outside of rain. maybe their evs were off but like yea that happened so i dont think rain is necessary for that
You went up against a SpDef Corsola.

252 Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Corsola-Galar: 322-381 (99.3 - 117.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

vs

252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Corsola-Galar in Rain: 382-451 (117.9 - 139.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I read almost all the comments in this thread, and a question rose in my mind: is there a (semi)decent way to stop this thing, without losing half of your team in the process?
We all have seen that type matchup becomes secondary when you have Rain, 2x BP, STAB, and +50% by ability: when in rain, the FerroPex+Corsola core gets dismantled by well, Fishious Rend alone (2HKO on FerroPex outside Rain, chances of OHKO in Rain, and Corsola-G going down in Rain while still taking a ton of damage outside of it), and I can't see many other Pokémon enjoying its fishy assaults. This thing only needs coverage moves when against Ditto/Water Absorb Dracovish (kinda troll imo, but oh well)
So yeah, any roadblock for it? Like, a single Pokémon brave enough to enter the field without fearing a nuclear fish explosion in its face? I thought about Gastrodon, but I come from the VGC department and I'm not really really sure about my affirmation lmao

if they're not running crunch, jellicent i think is the best, seismitoad i guess is one of the other best checks but there really not many defensive checks

I read almost all the comments in this thread, and a question rose in my mind: is there a (semi)decent way to stop this thing, without losing half of your team in the process?
We all have seen that type matchup becomes secondary when you have Rain, 2x BP, STAB, and +50% by ability: when in rain, the FerroPex+Corsola core gets dismantled by well, Fishious Rend alone (2HKO on FerroPex outside Rain, chances of OHKO in Rain, and Corsola-G going down in Rain while still taking a ton of damage outside of it), and I can't see many other Pokémon enjoying its fishy assaults. This thing only needs coverage moves when against Ditto/Water Absorb Dracovish (kinda troll imo, but oh well)
So yeah, any roadblock for it? Like, a single Pokémon brave enough to enter the field without fearing a nuclear fish explosion in its face? I thought about Gastrodon, but I come from the VGC department and I'm not really really sure about my affirmation lmao
Band: Defensive Seismitoad and Gastrodon seem to be the best bets for right now. Toad has Water Absorb and Gastro has Storm Drain to shut down Fishious Rend, and Dracovish doesn't have anything more dangerous than a non-STAB (but still Strong Jaw-boosted) Psychic Fangs to hit them with. Both can Earthquake for damage or (in Toad's case) set up rocks. Defensive Jellicent is also a good option for an immunity, as it can switch in on a Rend and threaten to burn with Wisp, though it has to watch out for Crunch (it takes about 70%). Defensive Appletun has a x4 resist to Water and good bulk (though it still takes like 40% from Rend in rain jesus christ), but it also has to watch out for coverage, as Ice Fang is almost a guaranteed 2HKO. Additonally, without the speed boost from Scarf, Dracovish is also pretty slow, so you can simply just bring in a faster Pokemon after a sack and threaten it out.

Scarf: A little more manageable, as without the boost from Choice Band, Defensive Ferrothorn and Toxapex are pulled out of the 2HKO range from Fishious Rend in rain (though it still does a huge chunk of damage to both) and can threaten it out with status or (in Ferro's case) a Power Whip. Faster Scarfers can outspeed it, and uber-fast 'mons such as Dragapult can even outspeed without a Scarf (Adamant/Modest Pult outspeeds Adamant Vish, and Jolly/Timid Pult always outspeeds).

if they're not running crunch, jellicent i think is the best, seismitoad i guess is one of the other best checks but there really not many defensive checks
Actually a bulky Jellicent can even live a Band Crunch:

252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Crunch vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Jellicent: 316-374 (78.2 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I think Jelly should be brought in when an obvious Fishious Rend is about to arrive: if Dracovish is Band, it will switch out and Jelly can spam a WoW, otherwise it means Draco is not Band and Crunch won't kill Jelly, leaving it free to use WoW and then Recover

Band: Defensive Seismitoad and Gastrodon seem to be the best bets for right now. Toad has Water Absorb and Gastro has Storm Drain to shut down Fishious Rend, and Dracovish doesn't have anything more dangerous than a non-STAB (but still Strong Jaw-boosted) Psychic Fangs to hit them with. Both can Earthquake for damage or (in Toad's case) set up rocks. Defensive Jellicent is also a good option for an immunity, as it can switch in on a Rend and threaten to burn with Wisp, though it has to watch out for Crunch (it takes about 70%). Defensive Appletun has a x4 resist to Water and good bulk (though it still takes like 40% from Rend in rain jesus christ), but it also has to watch out for coverage, as Ice Fang is almost a guaranteed 2HKO. Additonally, without the speed boost from Scarf, Dracovish is also pretty slow, so you can simply just bring in a faster Pokemon after a sack and threaten it out.

Scarf: A little more manageable, as without the boost from Choice Band, Defensive Ferrothorn and Toxapex are pulled out of the 2HKO range from Fishious Rend in rain (though it still does a huge chunk of damage to both) and can threaten it out with status or (in Ferro's case) a Power Whip. Faster Scarfers can outspeed it, and uber-fast 'mons such as Dragapult can even outspeed without a Scarf (Adamant/Modest Pult outspeeds Adamant Vish, and Jolly/Timid Pult always outspeeds).
Read it later, so yeah basicallu we need a Water Absorb/Storm Drain that can be thrown in and suck the Fishious Rend, or same nature Dragapult to pass it and KO it with Dragon Darts/Draco Meteor
Thanks!

EJ2RmCjXUAAVCj2.jpeg

This Pokemon is freaking incredible. I love tearing defensive cores apart with this thing. I've been trying to come up with a better way to abuse it, and briefly thought about Sticky Web. Has anyone else tried that? I think Galvantula would be a good partner due to Volt Switch allowing you to get in safely.

Unrelated to OU, but I've been absolutely destroying battle tower in-game by using scarf on Vish. It's free real estate.

Yep. Seismitoad is a pretty decent stop for the vish. FR deals no damage, because of Seismitoads ability and dracovish's psychic fangs is too weak to 2hko a phys def toad.

View attachment 208225
This Pokemon is freaking incredible. I love tearing defensive cores apart with this thing. I've been trying to come up with a better way to abuse it, and briefly thought about Sticky Web. Has anyone else tried that? I think Galvantula would be a good partner due to Volt Switch allowing you to get in safely.

Unrelated to OU, but I've been absolutely destroying battle tower in-game by using scarf on Vish. It's free real estate.
I’ve been applying a similar philosophy on a mono-water team to some moderate success. Tailwind Pelipper can set up rain and speed control, U-turn out to Vish and watch the carnage.

with the talk of seismitoad, it think in a theorical world where dracovish is everywhere, seismitoad is way more useful at countering dracovish than a water absorb vish. seismitoad can live fine with it, has some good coverage, but i dont think vish can sacrifice power for its moves in trade of maybe countering another vish.
it seems like this mon will only have one set with a couple variations (changing the fourth slot, maybe evs to outspeed a future threat). do yall think it'll become too predictable/easy to counter later on?

It’s also not like Seismitoad is a niche check that only stops Vish. It’s also good at dealing with other physical rain mons like Drednaw, Barraskewda, and Crawdaunt to a lesser extent (Knock is still very threatening but it at least forces Daunt to think about using Water STAB) and having an electric immunity besides Excadrill is quite valuable rn considering how few viable Ground-types are in number right now, making it a decent Rotom-W/H pivot in the process.

Still, Dracovish is proving to be a boss mon and I’m curious to see how the meta continues to adapt to it.

What kind of sets would a Seismitoad want to run to be a good check for this big guy? Haven't touched a Seismitoad since the first B/W VGCs and I'm tired of getting my face eaten by this big dino-fish.

What kind of sets would a Seismitoad want to run to be a good check for this big guy? Haven't touched a Seismitoad since the first B/W VGCs and I'm tired of getting my face eaten by this big dino-fish.
Last gen Seismitoad ran a 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp. Def with Water Absorb and a Relaxed nature + leftovers with Scald, EQ, Stealth Rocks, and Toxic in UU. I’d imagine he would need full defensive investment to properly check Dracovish since he doesn’t have any recovery outside of leftovers, so that EV spread is probably still applicable. Not sure if Seismitoad was one of the many Pokémon that lost Toxic or not, but Refresh or another coverage move could work in the last slot if he did lose it.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
It has Toxic. I run a Seismitoad similar to that, with only Protect over Toxic to scout Borked Ice Man and to get more Leftovers recovery. Toad is just really good in general, so putting it on a team isn't too much of an ask.

Dracovish itself is a fucking monster. 2HKOing SpDef Ferrothorn outside of rain? Yeah, the meta will need to adapt to this mon among other things. I don't think that anyone mentioned how good this mon is against opposing rain. I battled Ske's? (I don't know who originally built it, but I think it's him) rain team several times with Vish and it melts it. I unfortunately didn't save any replays, but let's just say Vish has a field day when the Seismitoad isn't Water Absorb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)