dungeon crawlers

maybe this thread is a bit too specific so if nobody posts maybe i'll change it to a general rpg thread but for now let's just talk about dungeon crawlers and how great they are!!

TORNEKO THE LAST HOPE

torneko the last hope was my first roguelike experience. for anyone not familiar with roguelikes, they're turn-based rpgs where you spend most of the game traversing dungeons that are segregated into invisible tiles. each movement or attack takes one 'turn', and for each turn you take, every enemy on your current floor takes a turn as well. roguelikes have plenty of additional rules, some of which vary from game to game, but here are the more salient ones in torneko:

1. the dungeons are randomly generated
2. the enemies' levels increase with each floor you descend
2. you return to level 1 upon exist of a dungeon (with no ways of permanent stat boosting)
3. a limited number of items/equipment can be taken in to each dungeon (in some of the more challenging cases, this number is 0)
4. dying causes you to lose everything
5. a 'belly' mechanic, wherein each turn taken causes your belly to decrease by 1, and when it decreases to 0 you die. you must find bread as you spelunk to keep yourself alive.
6. should you be a smart alec and find some way to manage your hunger efficiently (grinding an enemy for bread), your smile will invert as you see the wind start to blow. spend too much time on a floor and the wind will blow you out, which means you die. this is not a game where you can grind your way to freedom.

anyone who's played pokemon mystery dungeon should find most of these points familiar; this is because torneko is a part of the mystery dungeon franchise as well!

if torneko too looks vaguely familiar, then you've probably played dragon quest iv. i haven't. but i've played enough dq to enjoy killing slimes and their ilk. anyway, all that said, this game is brutally fucking hard. bar none the hardest rpg i have ever played. i think this is the only rpg where i've ever given up on the post-game dungeons because they are so unbelievably challenging. a lot of it is 'artificial difficulty', as much as i hate that term, but the game is still immensely enjoyable for rpg enthusiasts with patience. my qualm with the way the post-game dungeons are set-up is that much of it is trial and error, which isn't intrinsically bad, but when you die on floor 50 of a 60 floor dungeon, even if through death you learn how to cope with that specific situation, there are still hundreds of other situations that could have killed you AND it will take you another 3-4 hours to get back to floor 50. the game is really merciless. give it a shot if you've got balls and really enjoy being punished for playing a game wrong.

DUNGEON EXPLORER - WARRIORS OF ANCIENT ARTS

here is a game that left me surprised with how much fun i was having. this is an action rpg wherein you, uh, explore dungeons. a lot of them. i found the plot for this one mildly engaging. it was fairly well-written, had some ok political intrigue, and also had a generally moving story/message. the ending kind of pissed me off with its seeming vagueness but apparently the DS version is a direct sequel that starts right where this one left off.

the combat system is pretty engaging, and the difficulty curve is really jarring at times. my only two gripes with it were lack of a skill tree and the lack of variation on enchanted items. grinding for drops isn't quite as much fun when you've only got basic stats to work with. it has a bunch of classes, most of which you have to unlock through mastering basic classes (this takes a surprisingly long time), and a bunch of weapon types that net you new skills as you level them up. most weapon skills aren't that useful, especially since once you pump your dexterity high enough your swing speed eclipses most skills, and this is even further reinforced by a 'glitch' in the combo system. you press x 3 times to do a 3-hit combo, but if you time it properly, after the 1st hit you can reset your swing to do another 1st hit and repeat that infinitely, which does way more damage than a combo would due to how quickly it can be executed. what's enjoyable and interactive about this, though, is that it takes timing, as if you do it too fast you do a generic 3-hit combo. timing it can be difficult sometimes, too, since you're usually managing so much other shit (using items on your teammates, having them use items on you, using their hotkeyed abilities, etc). restorative items are really important in this game and it can be tricky to manage them properly without compromising your dps.

it's a fairly difficult game, but mostly it's just fucking long. really, really long. the post-game content is sizable if incredibly repetitive (all dungeon crawlers are repetitive, obviously, but this is one of the only games where it bothered me). final post-game dungeon takes hours and hours to unlock and has 99 floors, the first of which takes about 10 minutes and each subsequent one takes longer and longer with increasingly difficult/infuriating enemies. no, you can't save inside. have fun.

SHINING SOUL 2

hint: do not play shining soul 1. it is not a good game. the plots of the two games are completely unrelated and the mechanics in the first game are so inchoate and undeveloped that the game just drags and drags and you don't really feel like you're even accomplishing anything. in a genre all about incremental improvements, this is not a good thing.

but anyway, shining soul 2 is awesome. i've never played diablo 2 (i know, i know) but i've heard this is the closest thing to it on GBA. 8 classes to choose from (each with multiple builds that completely change the way they're played), skill points, stat points, a new game+ with a much higher difficulty level, tons of incredible gear to farm, set bonuses, rare spawns, oh man this game is great.

one thing that i really enjoyed about this game was running through it with unconventional builds. i think my favourite playthrough was with the priest, who has an ability that sets up an AOE around her that also has a knockback/interrupt, so i spent literally the entire game running into enemies until they died, like a 1990s ys game. man, shining soul 2 is great.

TALES OF THE WORLD - RADIANT MYTHOLOGY

NO that's not sephiroth ok. tales of the world is a fantastic game. its joy-factor is boosted tenfold if you're a fan of the tales series; you get to enjoy all the skits and character interactions. plus if you're a fucking nerd you can ship them or whatever, i don't care.

battle system is lifted from tales of the abyss, which means that free run is just as broken as you remember it being in that game. but man, this game has an unreal amount of content. hundreds of quests, ten or so classes for your main character, and 30 or so tales characters (about half of which are playable). it is a tremendously profession-heavy game. like, enjoy grinding that blacksmithing and jewelcrafting and cooking and tool-making because you are going to be doing a lot of it. thankfully the game cuts down on the bullshit, and while a lot of time is spent fetching, almost all of the time is spent actually playing the game. everything is really streamlined.

while the main game isn't that hard, the bonus content is pants-shittingly challenging on higher difficulties. grinding in this game is a lot of fun if you like playing tales games, which, if you have good taste, you do. the only problem is that grinding for unique drops, the equivalent of legendaries, is absolute bullshit. like, 10+ hours of straight farming per. this wouldn't be so bad, but the problem is that they have enchantments of varying potency on them, so you might not get a 'good one'. this, too, wouldn't be so bad, but these things are literally unique and you cannot get more of a certain one until you drop the one you're carrying, which makes life very hard for perfectionist retards like me. getting an axe with 407% extra attack power sounds good, but when you know deep down that the max is 447%, you have to discard it. you fucking have to. also, leveling in this game is weird. it's not that bad in the main game, or even in the post game really once you discover the right grinding spots, but level maxing is really, really hard. i think my longest playthrough was 400 hours and i got my main character to level 178 or so (granted most of that time was spent farming uniques, which isn't quite as good for exp farming), with a level cap of 250. and that was with one class. and there are 10 classes, all with their own experience. and like i said, there are like 15 tales characters to max out too (though they don't have class levels, thankfully). so yeah, the game has content. there are two sequels to it, each even more grinding-intensive, but sadly neither has been translated.

CLADUN: THIS IS AN RPG

the brilliant minds behind disgaea bring you the most aptly named handheld-grinder ever conceived. lighthearted and funny with faux-2d sprites and a really bizarre leveling system, this is definitely one of the more interesting action rpg's i've played.

what makes this game really stand out is its leveling/enhancement system, which is called the 'magic circle'. basically, you only ever control one character, and you use other characters as little more than stat-boosting accessories. as you level a class up (there are five), you unlock more magic circles, all of which have different potentials for stat boosts/character placements. here's an example:

you can buy/win those little accessories, called artifacts, which you can equip to your supporting characters which in turn boosts the stats of your main character. supporting characters act as meat shields, too; any damage you take is first taken by the supporting characters, and if they die you lose all the boosts (which means you're probably going to die, since they make up the bulk of your stats). each artifact has its own mana cost to hold, and characters have a limited amount of mana, which makes magic circle management a really engaging experience. the weird part, though, is that you're encouraged/basically forced to switch your characters around frequently. characters being used in the magic circle gain atk/def/magic boosts when they level up, which are stats your main character wants. characters leveled as a main gain mana and hp when leveled up, which are stats that your magic circle characters want. this can be pretty irritating, but thankfully ceases to be an issue in post-game where everything is done at level 99 anyway.

in typical nippon ichi fashion, enjoy leveling everybody up to 99, reincarnating, and doing it over and over again until you've got 'good' stats. there is a soft stat cap imposed by leveling in this game though, so even once you're 'maxed' the post-game content will still give you a run for your money. enjoy grinding the 99 floor dungeon over and over for drops until you're geared enough to grind the literal never-ending dungeon for even better drops. oh, also, prepare for the trolliest mechanic in video game history: each piece of weapon/armor has 20 or so possible enchantments. 'of heroes' gives you +5 atk and def, 'duct' gives you a life leech effect, etc. towards the end of the game you'll start acquiring 'd99' equipment, which does nothing by itself, but for every enchanted version of that item you have 99 of, it gets the effect of that. so of course, you have to get 99 of every enchanted version of the best weapons and armor so your new ultra-gear can reap the benefits of everything. and you'll still die in the final dungeon. a lot.

also one thing that i've never explored but apparently is pretty sweet is the ability to modify your character's heads. you can draw whatever you want and make it your character's face. this is expanded upon in the sequel, which i have yet to play (the first was overwhelming enough), where you can modify the look of your weapons, as well as your entire body. here are some shots from the sequel that might make you squeal with delight:

so yeah, you should probably play the sequel too.

UNCHAINED BLADES

unchained blades is the game i'm currently playing. it's also on 3ds if that's your thing. this game is a really engaging 1st person dungeon crawler with some really great elements that pokemon fans will enjoy. your team can have up to 4 characters, and each character can have up to 4 followers. this means 20 dudes on your team. you can make any monster in the game into your follower assuming you 'unchain it', which involves damaging it to a certain extent and trying to trigger an unchain event (the event itself involves timing your button presses based on a moving ring in similar vein to legend of dragoon), the mechanics of which i haven't got a perfect grasp on since i want to go through this game blind. this game has a crazy-ass skill tree, kind of similar to paths of exile in that it's more of a web than anything, though apparently you can get all skills eventually with enough grinding in post-game (the one bit of info i learned before going in blind).

it's a turn-based rpg, and what's interesting is that skills require 'anima' which are basically like elements. each follower has its own set of anima, so your anima are the sum of all your followers', which means you need a certain combination of followers if you want to be able to use a certain skill that you've unlocked. this adds a lot of depth, since choosing between weaker followers with useful anima vs stronger followers without can be tricky. it gets even trickier when each follower has its own weight, and you can only hold so much. your followers level up as well, but they only gain stats, not abilities. something about the turn based battles combined with the weight/follower system kind of reminded me of dragon quest monsters caravan heart, if anyone's played that.

one thing i'm really enjoying about this game is the leveling system. for one, each levelup is huge, since you almost always get an additional skill due to the way the skill web is set up. also, an interesting mechanic is that monsters below your level grant somewhere between zero and effectively zero experience, whereas monsters above your level will grant enough exp to level you up within a battle or two (or gain you multiple levels per battle, depending on the variance). this makes swapping between followers less time-consuming since you never really have to grind to level them up. if you have one whose anima suddenly become useful due to a skill you've just learned, it'll only take a few battles to bring him up to your level.

this game is also pretty fucking hard, with a difficulty spike on almost every floor of every dungeon. you'll bear witness to the exp mechanic i mentioned constantly, grinding in an area until the monsters stop giving decent exp, going to the next floor of the dungeon, surviving the first couple battles through expert resource management and strategy, leveling up to a point where you can grind on them, and the cycle continues. game has a ton of quests and synthesizing and all that fun stuff, and apparently a massive post-game which i'm absolutely jazzed about. wicked game, really.

also, to make the game even quirkier, there are events called 'judgment battles' where all of your followers face off against a horde of monsters, and you power them up by hitting directional buttons as they pass by the screen like beatmania. c-cool.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
CLADUN: THIS IS AN RPG
I appreciate that they made that clear because I was kind of confused. Will post more after work. Been playing dungeon crawlers since I was a tyke, back in the old days with Might and Magic and the like.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tales is so much fun ughhhh, I prefer the you run into enemies and then fight live, rather than having an interactive overworld or turned based combat. I wanted to play Tales 2 but I put it off and subsequently forgot about it, iirc there's no official English version or something? How is it for anyone who has played it.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/downloads

dc:ss is a free pc dungeon crawler with a ton of depth and also happens to be incredibly fun. there are quite a few aspects to the game: the foremost two are race and background. certain races are only available with certain backgrounds (for example, if youre a strong troll or ogre you probably can't use magic very well).

backgrounds can also come attached with various gods. my favorite is Berserker background, which gives you the god Trog. basically whenever you sacrifice a slain corpse it adds to your piety meter which unlocks various perks. the first perk that troglodytes get is the ability to go berserk and deal a ton of damage for a few turns and then become tired and slow. very useful for sticky situations. there are many gods and they all have their likes and dislikes, and they can all be found naturally through the game at various altars.

hunger is also an issue, i have lost some good runs due to starvation. you can find bread which refills hunger totally or eat shit like rat corpses which refills a little bit.

other things: there are NPCs, not that you can talk to but are just extra strong enemies that roam around lower floors. oftentimes they are the ghost of your past slain characters, which is really cool. there are potions, but all of them are hidden until you quaff one to see what it is or use a scroll of reveal -- some potions are awesome but others will mess you up (see: potion of mutation). same goes for scrolls. there are various shops where you can buy gear, potions, etc. there are cool spells in this game too, aoe spells, direct damage, and random movement spells (great for saving your ass in a pinch, they teleport you to a random spot on your floor). ALSO, there is an endgame, but i have never gotten to it. it's not impossible but its pretty hard.

there is an excellent community at http://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes for this and other roguelikes, although dcss is the most popular. there's a good guide to start the game and get basics down. this game defines 'easy to learn, hard to master'. you can do some brutal challenges or just try to beat your high score. super fun

FTL: faster than light is also really fun until you realize how much of the game comes down to random chance and then its less fun -- but it is still ridiculously fucking awesome to have your own goddamn space marine story.

on shining soul 2: i don't know what the "conventional" build for priestess is meant to be, but one of the most formidable characters i've made was my physically-oriented flail priestess. once maximized bless gives you 64 levels worth of extra stats, and reduces the need for investment in dex/vit/int, which frees up plenty more stat points to pile onto strength, making for one of the toughest melee characters around, short of the knife brawler (though a hell of a lot more durable).

a bad unconventional build is a summon-based archer. your bee will get stuck in all the dumbest places and you will spend all your time running from baddies while you wait for your bee to get unstuck do not make it

also the goblin fort theme never fails to inflame my yen for adventure. if only the whole soundtrack were so good

Hey I was just playing DQ IV the other week, I had no idea that Torneko was in a dungeon crawler lol. Sadly the only experience I've had with dungeon crawlers is pokemon mystery dungeon. I've never played them but I've heard the Etrian Odyssey games are great for the DS. I've been trying to find a copy, but no luck so far :(

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
ahhhh one of my favorite genres

this genre goes way back. moving forward from the originals like rogue and nethack (after which the genre is named), we have the modern classics like moria and its successor, angband. i would say that out of all roguelikes, angband is the closest you can get to any of the classics without actually playing them. character systems drawn straight out of d&d and dive-heavy gameplay in a proper curses terminal, none of this fancy ass GUI crap. (yes you can put GUI tiles on angband but that sucks, play it in text like real men do) fuck zephyr hounds though, especially time hounds, they're just the worst.

we all know about PMD, awesome game, this is a mons forum so i'm sure we're all familiar with it. i would not call it a roguelike (see below) but it's pretty close i guess. the gameplay is good, not great, but the story is superb and really breaking new ground in what is normally a bit of a hackneyed franchise. not much i can add to what's been said about this series. too bad gates to infinity has so few pokemon in it, but if prices drop i might get it anyway. i can live with a bit of DLC cost if the story is bang on like it was in its predecessors

those are the main dungeon crawling games i remember. there are lots of games derivative from the usual roguelike formula but imo if it's not curses it's at best an approximation of the real thing. yes i'm a hardline purist, sue me.

imo what characterizes a roguelike most is its turn based dungeon crawling gameplay (special focus on hunger mechanics - these are quite rare in other genres), fantasy setting (particularly important is a complex inventory system with items that are unknown until identified by scroll/staff/spell, and a magic system), and procedurally generated (ie random, the more the better, and short form, ie minimal storyline, and if you die you just generate another game and start again) permadeath environments. if we take some of these elements away in some form, a lot of games can fall into the "roguelike" category, but at that point it's drifted a bit too far off for a purist like me, so i call them roguelikelikes. games such as:

binding of isaac. unfortunately it's written in flash and thus has its fair share of bugs, but it's great top down dungeon crawling fun. not turn based, which is the main detraction from "roguelike", but it's ridiculously random with all kinds of broken and unwinnable combinations and circumstances. also very cheap pricewise! the game also has lots of win conditions after win conditions (if you beat one final boss, you unlock a new final boss that comes after the one you just beat, and this goes on several times) so it's a game where 100% completion will take a long time.

faster than light. if you see youtube videos of this game, you'll wonder why any developer would call it a "roguelike", but it has the procedural/short form that characterizes the genre even though it's obviously not a dungeon crawler in the slightest. gameplay in this is pretty mindblowing, i have played over 200 hours of it and i have only won about 7 times. really hard to describe cause i think it's a bit of a genre breaker, but it's like ten bucks and 100% worth it. very very random though. much like binding of isaac, it will be a long time before you get even a single winning run in this game. my response to the sissies is "suck it up".

dwarf fortress. oho. a hyper complex fortress simulation game with massive procedural generation (it simulates the creation of entire worlds and civilizations over thousands of years, to give you a map upon which you select your starting location to play on) and preposterous complexity. not a dungeon crawler but rather a game that simulates the management and development of a... dwarven fortress. this game takes a LONG time to learn and it is much more of a system strain than you would expect for a game that runs a simple SDL/curses interface, but wow. if you can learn it, you will have a blast. it's been in development for a long time cause it's so complicated - still in alpha but very playable.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Been playing nethack for a while, but never ascended without resorting to pudding farming to make it really easy. Done two ascensions that way and don't play much anymore. I feel like people who like these games would also like The Kingdom of Loathing (an online text game that makes fun of everything) even though it isn't a dungeon crawl at all, if anyone is interested I can give them a starter kit for a new character (it's good for one or two ascensions).

I admit I've had some experience in this genre, but not all that much.

I was a HUGE fan of PMD Blue and EoT, but I never actually finished either one. The "lose half your items if you die" mechanic really crippled me because I would bring a HM with me to a post game dungeon, die, and have to go grab the HM again. And in PMD2 Cresselia's AI was so shitty that I never finished the last dungeon.

I DID finish Dragon Quest IX, which had some rogue like mechanics in its random dungeon system, but I've never played any of the games you listed in your OP so it's probably a good time to for me to lurk this thread endlessly like I do for 99% of a forum threads.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I have ascended most roles in nethack, I was always too lazy for pudding farming. I used it a couple of times in Slashem but it seems to have been slightly nerfed there.

I have played crawl a few times, but I have never really found any strategy worth pusuing. It seems to be a case of cross my fingers and see how far I get. Usually my good games end up with me in hell running away from a constantly growing horde of monsters..

Any tips for a beginner?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
dungeon crawlers WOO

I played Record of Lodoss War on Dreamcast fairly extensively. It basically has nothing to do with said franchise, minus some character cameos, but it's a pretty danged good Diablo clone with some very challenging post-plot content. The player character is just a generic barbarian-looking dude but you have various magical and physical paths to build into to substitute the idea of different classes and whatnot.

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon on the Wii is pretty sweet too. It's part of the Mystery Dungeon series, so it's got all your favorite roguelike elements like cursed gear and hunger mechanics. It's not all that difficult but the job and crafting systems give you a lot of fun shit to play with and it actually has a storyline. (There's arcade mini-games too!) You choose your job at the start of the dungeon and can't switch until leaving, so you have to do some careful thinking... or perhaps you stick to your favorites (I'm partial to Thief and Scholar) and try to make it work regardless. With 10 jobs with a ton of unique skills, there's a lot of ways to entertain yourself as you go through the story.

Baldur's Gate 2, anyone? There's supposed to be an enhanced remake released this year too, following the one done for BG1 that was itself released not long ago.

I have shining soul 2, though I honestly don't even remember much about it since I got it so long ago...your post makes me want to yank it out again to try playing it lol.

jrp

Banned deucer.
binding of isaac is a great game. I'm in the process of going for the platinum god (the ??? achievements are brutal though)

I rather like randomly generated games because of how well they keep replayability up. I'm pretty excited for the new BoI game coming out too!

i've been playing dc:ss lately since i saw this thread, mostly been playing minotaur berserker and some form of octopode wizard. maybe i'm just terrible at the game but the octopode just seems way too fragile to be any good, but minotaur has been pretty good.

my favorite in this genre is probably Labyrinth of Touhou. It's a game produced on a pretty small budget and gets grindy at times but it has one of my favorite combat systems in pretty much anything ever and some great music.

Legend of Grimrock and Dungeons of Dredmor were both fun for awhile though I have yet to finish either, I eventually got tired of too much puzzling in the former and repetitive combat in the latter. I've been sort of meaning to give Nethack a shot but never really gotten around to it.

And it's not a (really) dungeon crawler but since they seem to overlap with roguelikes a lot, Faster Than Light is awesome. Bought it on a whim a couple months ago and ended up putting over a hundred hours into it so far, it manages to hit that perfect mix of fun combat and tense risk/reward decision making for me. Also has some fantastic chiptune(ish) ambient music.

Baldur's Gate 2, anyone? There's supposed to be an enhanced remake released this year too, following the one done for BG1 that was itself released not long ago.
I'm kind of disappointed the "enhanced" edition of 1 was apparently just some additional content. I have yet to play BG but from playing Planescape Torment which apparently runs on the same engine it's the sort of thing that's aged horrendously, what it really needs is a port to something more modern. Then again that's probably a lot more work than adding a little extra content on top.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)