Equal BST Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.
158 Attack with Arena Trap? I'll take it! Trapinch is going to be a monster in this metagame. Interestingly, I can see Marowak being a monster as well considering all of his stats got buffed and Thick Club puts him over the top.

As pointed out before, this metgame is going to be dominated be Eviolite and pre-evo's. Let's put it into perspective. With equal BST's all around, the pre-evo's are on par with their respective evolutions. However, ALL pre-evo's have access to a "defensive Thick Club", therefore you choose between two of the same Pokemon but with one way more bulk.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I will say that Azurill definitely looks pretty sick now actually. With 121/97/97 AND Eviolite, the thing gets defensive stats of 383/345/345 with NO investment whatsoever. He also gets 428 (429 if it rounds up) Attack with 252 EVs and a positive nature thanks to Huge Power. Literally his only drawback statwise is his Speed. He has a bad movepool, but he at least has Return, which is still a good STAB move.

I've been working on a 600BST total metagame for shits and giggles for years. One of the provisions therein is that it does not includes prevos to prevent the problems already pointed out. There are exceptions - any prevo that was once fully evolved is included in the metagame (Scyther, Porygon, Porygon2, Yanma, Chansey, Piloswine, etc.)

One thing I noticed in my meta is that when everything is scaled to the same BST, legendaries and pseudo-legendaries (ie. mons who's stats aren't scaled at all, are scaled down, or barely scaled up) tend to have rather meh stat spreads, one of their most common failings being subpar speed. When the average stats in the meta all sit around 100, Zekrom's 88/132/105/105/88/79 spread is really not all that impressive. While not a problem for me, this may turn off some people who prefer their legendaries legendary.

EDIT: I also ignored the stat cap of 255, which iirc only applies to 4 mons, one of which is fairly unique - Chansey, Blissey, Wobbuffet, and Shedinja. It applies to Shedinja because of the manner I chose to scale him in order to keep his attack from being too ridiculous, which was increase his starting base HP enough so he matched Ninjask's BST, giving him 221 base HP. Obviously this would be broken with Wonder Guard, as such the 1 HP aspect was attached to Wonder Guard instead of Shedinja himself, preventing any mon with Wonder Guard from ever having higher than 1 HP. This also has the effect of, should you so desire, giving Shedinja a different ability without him being useless, or giving another mon (with appropriate typing and a more defensive stat spread) Wonder Guard without breaking them.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I've been working on a 600BST total metagame for shits and giggles for years. One of the provisions therein is that it does not includes prevos to prevent the problems already pointed out. There are exceptions - any prevo that was once fully evolved is included in the metagame (Scyther, Porygon, Porygon2, Yanma, Chansey, Piloswine, etc.)

One thing I noticed in my meta is that when everything is scaled to the same BST, legendaries and pseudo-legendaries (ie. mons who's stats aren't scaled at all, are scaled down, or barely scaled up) tend to have rather meh stat spreads, one of their most common failings being subpar speed. When the average stats in the meta all sit around 100, Zekrom's 88/132/105/105/88/79 spread is really not all that impressive. While not a problem for me, this may turn off some people who prefer their legendaries legendary.
That's why I made the legendaries have 750++ BST in my calcs. The higher the canon BST, the suckier is the normalized BST, as they always have high stats in everything (see: Kyogre with 90 Atk). Pokémon like Sawk, on the other hand...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Which is why there is a need to answer this question: Is it possible to implement this metagame? Can PO support a "clause" where all the Pokemon have these "BST-equalized" stats? If yes, how do go about in making this into reality, so that we could at least try it out and see if its any worth?
I was bored tonight so I did this.

Poke_stats.txt
http://www.mediafire.com/?691qmlfry9dcu10

Or Pastebin of it if you prefer
http://pastebin.com/Tgh92pBB

Gotta host a server using this .txt instead of the normal Poke_stats.txt. Also gotta use it in your client if you want to see the new stats beforehand.

Untested, but it should at least work. 100% sure something's wrong with it though, since it comes 5 lines short of the actual poke_stats.txt, but I used a lot of automatic replacing so I'm not sure where it could've gone wrong. And yes, I did go back to correct for formes.

It'll get people started.

Oh, and by the way, Smeargle's rigged as anything. Pikachu's going to be unbelievably scary as well. Attack stats that leave current Ubers in the dust, and an amazing Spe stat.

With 138 Base Speed and Sketch, Smeargle will turn into a defensive powerhouse in this metagame. It's already a headache to deal with regularly, let alone with doubled Speed. But at least its' defenses get slightly a fuck-ton better. It doesn't need attacking stats, its' main use is to annoy the hell out of things with Spore and whatnot. :3

the key to succes in this metagame is the base stat ratios.

what do i mean?

all the pokes with good stats have one GOOD stat among other horrid stats. (read: trapinch, shedinja, smeargle...). this means that their one good stat is amplified. the pokemons with overall good stats are now mediocre because their stat ratios stay the same and are therefor more balancedly sucky. so in order to use a good poke, find a poke with good stat ratios.. (like carvanha)

Krabby's gonna be a killer with Agility, and Eviolite Harvest Exeggcute is gonna be an utter pain to take down as well.

I actually think that if this is gonna happen, Eviolite shouldn't be banned outright. Looking at the stats, there are monsters like Abra, Gastly, Solosis, and Cranidos and without Eviolite they are really hard to take on.

I was bored tonight so I did this.

Poke_stats.txt
http://www.mediafire.com/?691qmlfry9dcu10

Or Pastebin of it if you prefer
http://pastebin.com/Tgh92pBB

Gotta host a server using this .txt instead of the normal Poke_stats.txt. Also gotta use it in your client if you want to see the new stats beforehand.

Untested, but it should at least work. 100% sure something's wrong with it though, since it comes 5 lines short of the actual poke_stats.txt, but I used a lot of automatic replacing so I'm not sure where it could've gone wrong. And yes, I did go back to correct for formes.

It'll get people started.
Thanks UltiMario. What you made would surely be of great help.

You could edit the PO client (there's a .txt somewhere with the pokémon's base stats) and upload the client somewhere.
So we're done with the first step (the editing of the .txt), but what do you mean by "upload the client somewhere"? Is there some place, an article or instructions, on how to do this? It would be great if somebody could help out, but it would be bad if I just wait for somebody to do it for me.

Bronzor + Eviolite is gonna be a freaking tank. 86 / 132 / 132 defenses, great typing, great ability. It has shit attack, but its low speed + Gyro Ball lets it hit for 150 (225 after STAB) against a ton of shit, many of which have TERRIBLE defense (Abra, Gastly, etc). Priority is going to be killer in this metagame. With all of the specialized stat spreads making some Pokemon even less bulky, it will be able to knock them out in one shot easily. Shedinja (Shadow Sneak, oh my...), Sneasel (Ice Shard), Hitmontop (Fake Out, Bullet Punch, Mach Punch, Sucker Punch), Rattata (Sucker Punch), and Pawniard (Sucker Punch) seem like good users to me.

A lot of the Pokemon with powerful boosting moves (Dragon Dance, Butterfly Dance, Shell Smash) don't seem all that great anymore.

Client and Server modded with ultimario's Poke_Stats.txt

Server should be up and running, "Equal BST Meta Test" I'll keep it up unless it slows my internet to much.
I'll upload in a minute

Edit:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gy8t28ao61q7527
Thanks skyshade. I tried downloading the file, unzipped it, opened the client and tried to connect to the server, but it said "Error while connected to server -- Received error n°7: Connection timed out". is there anything else i should be doing?

EDIT: And just now, I don't see the server being listed anymore.

Thanks skyshade. I tried downloading the file, unzipped it, opened the client and tried to connect to the server, but it said "Error while connected to server -- Received error n°7: Connection timed out". is there anything else i should be doing?

EDIT: And just now, I don't see the server being listed anymore.

I closed it because it was lagging my internet. Also the error is probably something wrong with my internet. I had to connect with localhost:5080 advanced connect

I tried putting up a server myself, but I guess my internet can't support it either. Tsk, what to do. I wonder if it can't just be tier with a "equa-BST clause) in an already existing server?

I tried putting up a server myself, but I guess my internet can't support it either. Tsk, what to do. I wonder if it can't just be tier with a "equa-BST clause) in an already existing server?
I'll see what I can do about it, i'll post back later

Edit:

It should work now

Edit2:

Killed my internet

the key to succes in this metagame is the base stat ratios.

what do i mean?

all the pokes with good stats have one GOOD stat among other horrid stats. (read: trapinch, shedinja, smeargle...). this means that their one good stat is amplified. the pokemons with overall good stats are now mediocre because their stat ratios stay the same and are therefor more balancedly sucky. so in order to use a good poke, find a poke with good stat ratios.. (like carvanha)
With this logic, Deoxys-A would be unbeatable in Ubers. No, the good Pokemon will be those with good stat distribution, ability, typing, and movepool, just like they've always been. The only thing that changes is that there is no longer the division between Pokemon with good BSTs and Pokemon without.

If you want a general guideline as to what Pokemon will be good, look at any Pokemon in OU with a BST around 500 or below. The fact that they're usable with such low BSTs means that once you raise that to an "average" level, they will become many times better. I'd guess this would apply to every other tier as well, if you just reduce the BST by 100 or so each tier you go down. 50 for the BL tiers.

You know what? Let's do this. Here's my list of Pokemon that are potentially VERY frightening, based on the above rule. All this is assumed that Eviolite is banned. If it isn't, then just reduce every Pokemon by one evolution stage. Maybe.
Code:
All weathersetters. Let's just get those out of the way.
Blaziken
Excadrill
Thundurus
Alakazam
Breloom
Chansey
Dugtrio
Ferrothorn
Forretress
Gastrodon
Jellicent
Reuniclus
Skarmory
Toxicroak
Wobbuffet
Sableye
Smeargle
Obviously, this isn't perfect. I'm pretty sure all of these will be top-tier Pokemon, though.

Truth be told, I kind of want to play this... It's just that there's no client in place. Get a client and I'll be all over this (Carvanha for Ubers!)

Truth be told, I kind of want to play this... It's just that there's no client in place. Get a client and I'll be all over this (Carvanha for Ubers!)

here, client+server package
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gy8t28ao61q7527

You need to forward ports to run the server probably, if it doesn't work
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

Find you're router, port is 5080

if you need the model
192.168.2.1 or
192.168.1.1 should get you a router config page w/ the model

For me, it would be

Firewall>Virtual Servers

Set ports

As for breaking it up into stages based on evolutionary stage, that doesn't really work, on both a theoretical and practical level. It's too difficult to say where a given Pokémon belongs based on evolutionary level since not every Pokémon has a three stage evolution. Taking Pokémon from different levels of play would really mess up the whole point of splitting into stages; preserving stat distribution styles between stages.
I pointed out EVs as a clear indicator just in the post before yours.

If anyone wants to try it, the server should be up in a few minutes.

Edit:

You don't need the special client

Edit2:

So far, so good, internets working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)